Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Yeah white Testarossa, very Miami Vice-ish.

We had a red TR at the dealer I worked at. Moving it around was a challenge: no power steering, no visibility, very wide and difficult to maneuver. I haven't driven one in the wild though, it's probably a fun experience with a flat 12 , rwd, and no traction control. :surprise:

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Anybody remember the "Married with Children" episode where Al Bundy leased a "Testica?"

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    I am sure it is a pig to drive, but would go nice with a pastel colored casual suit :shades:

Probably better off to find a custom C126 with cheese grater rear quarter trim.

I wonder how many of these widebody 80s Benzes survived? There has to be only a handful of these ever built, maybe in the low hundreds worldwide?

I think it ended up being a lemon. I also seem to remember him winning a ~88 Mustang convertible, which only appeared in one or two episodes.
    Very few. Low production and I bet many were neglected. I'd love to have one though. When I was maybe 12 years old, something like that was a real dream car.
    I recall another episode where Al would take luxury cars for an extended test drive. In the beginning of the episode, you saw him at the light in a Mercedes S-Class. Later on in the episode, he had a Lincoln Town Car.
    Just like you can see many 90s imports nowadays with mismatched and cracked body kits, mismatched wheels, tacky glued on accessories, etc...

When import tuning was all the rage in the 90s I knew that in 15-20 years we will be seeing neglected "import projects" like this, in the same way that in the early 90s you could see many neglected "project" american cars like 70s and 80s Camaros, Mustangs, etc.. with bondo, miscolored body panels, etc....

However with these Benzes I can imagine they're neglected but you see very few on the road (I'm talking about the wide body kit models) as they're most likely sitting in people's garages hiding.

When I lived in my old neighborhood, there was a lady with a metallic green wide-body C-Class that was all blinged out with chrome and gold-plated add-on trim. It was about the tackiest Mercedes I have ever seen. Fintail would shudder if he'd have seen it! :P
    edited February 2013
    Those custom cars will suffer a different neglect. They sold to people so wealthy, when they were tired of the car they didn't sell them on, just relegated them to a dusty corner of the compound. So, many cars might still be intact today, just need to be reconditioned to get back on the road.

Here's an AMG SEC that comes to the local MB show each year, and gets some attention. Not a widebody, but still a period style:

edited February 2013
    I think I remember that too, along with the Town Car.

The constant references to the German cars of the Rhoads/D'Arcys were also funny.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    edited February 2013
    Later on in the episode, he had a Lincoln Town Car.

So Al did have some class! ;)

Ed O'Neill drove a LTC in the movie Dutch as well, if anyone even remembers that movie.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Saw a C-Max hybrid today, possible rental (no plate frames, lost appearing driver). Also a brand new unplated 750Li.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    not rare at this point, but interesting.

my neighbor had a 4 door Focus and a new Escape parked in his driveway one after the other. Both silver. From a house down, I was surprised by how alike they looked. Seemed to have the identical taillights, and the shape was very close. Pretty much the escape did look just like a a Focus wagon that sat a little high!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

My best friend just picked up a new Focus. All loaded up minus navigation. Its a nice car, but seems a little pricey to me

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,734
    Went to the new car show on Sunday.... after that, everything seems pricy.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    I'm pretty sure they share the same architecture.
    Lots of examples of that.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm seeing price creep, big time. Mainstream SUVs loaded up are hitting $50k, an Escalade is closer to $70k nowadays.

At that level prices have shifted upward about $20 grand over the past decade. Scary.
    I think it has really exploded in the past 5 years - more of that inflation the powers that be don't want to admit. Still amazes me that a 3er can hit 60K these days, that 5ers and Es can get to 80K.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Escalade Platinum's are priced in the 90's.
    $90s....wow.

Speechless.
    Seeing a few of those new Evoque's around lately. I'm digging the styling except for the gun slit rear end.

Also another new Range Rover, this one in Triple Black.

Base model Mazda6, couple of new Altimas, a new Fusion (which is surprisingly rare find) and a Hyundai Equus.
    Have not seen a 6 on the roads yet.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Escalade Platinum's are priced in the 90's.

Not quite $90K. They ESV Platinum with every option ticked (ok - wheel locks are the only option) is $86K.

For comparison:
    Navigator L $70K
    Lexus LX570 $92K
    The various Range Rover models start at $83K to $130K. The Autobiography model tops out at $139K!!
    Just add dealer-installed diamond encrusted DUBs. :D
    edited February 2013
    A loaded Escalade here in Canada is pushing close to $110k, which I think is a bit outrageous for basically a dressed up Chevy frame and powertrain with a SUV body, 3 bench seats, and some leather and wood trim.

Escalade price

Canada gets hosed on a lot of car related things. Are those prices inclusive of tax?

I notice the Canadian equivalent to my new car is about 10K more - but Canadian models have standard leather.
    That's plus 12% taxes = so it's about $120k with taxes, and I think there's a gas guzzler levy of $5000 on top of that too. :surprise:

Surprisingly small economy cars are priced about the same now as in the US, it's just the luxury cars that are priced more.

120K+ - who'd spend that on an Escalade? Sounds insane even for a Rover or a G-wagen.
    I'd blow that on a G if I were looking for the most capable SUV out there.

Not a Range Rover though. I see the last gen 2004 and up models for $5-$10k at the auction, with the usualy saggy suspension, dashboard lit up like a christmas tree, and half the electronics not working :lemon:

edited February 2013
    Capable yes, but for less than the price of either the Gangsta's School Bus or a RR, I go right for a Mercedes GL which is quicker, tows more, gets better mileage (even in petrol form) and costs less. Then there's that diesel... :shades:

Mercedes also nailed it with the styling as well IMO.

The Gelandewagon is cool but I think the old Oxcart suspension might be tiring for me and the thing has the aerodynamics of a brick :D
    The GL is actually quite spacious. Our friends had one and when we were on holidays, after checking in to a hotel we were able to explore our vacation destination in their GL, with 4 of us adults, and our 2 kids in baby seats, plus 2 strollers and other baby stuff.

The only thing he had to replace was the tranny but since it was under warranty it saved him about $7k :surprise:

Yikes, 7 grand! :surprise: Was it an older one?

I hardly hear of Mercedes trannies going South, at least not until they get into the higher miles. My wifes business partner had one of the first CLS's and he replaced his about 130k but he is a pretty aggressive driver as well.

If I had a big family and I needed a hauler, (and had theat kind of coin to spend :) ) the GL320 would be it.
    I think my friend's GL was a 2006 or so.

A diesel G would be an interesting way to go - not for this market though, unless you import it yourself.

Range Rovers are dangerous. The pre-03 are becoming extinct already, along with early Discos.
    At the MB dealer today, spotted a pair of SL63s - red and black. Roughly 170K apiece.

And not new, but the 5er GT that's been sitting at a higher line used lot is still there - maybe 3 months now? I am kind of feeling sorry for it.
    I saw a 5 series GT on the road a few days ago coming towards me and it's an akward looking beast. My buddy who has the CLS said he sat in it and loves it and would buy one if it was cheap enough (he's 6'3" and like 230+lbs) so maybe it's spacious for his size, but I can't get used to the looks from any angle on that car.

The one here is a 550i, high options, and I am certain it could be had for under 40K now. Probably a lot of car for the money, if one can get over the bizarre looks.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    edited February 2013
    Although I expect to get flamed, I don't really have a big issue with the 5GT. If it remains unwanted and depreciates enough, I could be convinced. First choice? No, but if the deal was really good, and it had xDrive...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Yesterday on RT 73 in NJ, a silver CTS Coupe (stunning), and a sliver XTS with a temp tag. They were behind one another in traffic.

New Avalon HSD in a color eerily identical to the Copper used on the Kia Optima.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    2 doors down. Noticed it in the neighbors driveway when I walked my dog tonight. no front plate yet.

This AM their old (I think gen 1, maybe 2) CRV was still there. So I am guessing that the dad upgraded to new wheels (the mom has a pilot for toting around the 3 kids).

They broke up the run of 4 straight multiple Honda (if you count my fleet of Acuras). In between us is another CRV/Pilot combo, and the other side of them is a Pilot/Accord.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited March 2013
    Saw a new Escape.

Then, right next door to that new Accord I saw recently, a new Civic. Probably jealous and had to get a new Honda as well.

First of the new Civics I've seen up close, nice face lift at the front.
    Someone in my building has a new trunkback Impreza. Not a bad choice.

Saw a number of new Audis as I used the car wash located alongside the local dealer (free perk with the new car) - they don't really make me drool, aside from the A7.
    I agree, the A7 is stunning. The others are nice too but they look like they've changed very little from the mid 90s to now even though they went through several complete redesigns.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    edited March 2013
    Does the Impreza have the CVT? I've liked the Legacy's I've rented lately except for the transmission.

I love the A4 from a styling perspective but don't understand why they sell so well. My partner has one and it's underwhelming to say the least. Nyccarguy mentioned that his wife drives the 328xi every chance she gets, that's how a car should be. I only drive the A4 if it's the logical choice based on how the cars are parked in the driveway.
    The A4 especially makes me kind of yawn, and even the A6 and A8 don't appeal to me like the competition. Like the A8 rental I had in Germany - superfancy car, but no emotional stigma - where if I had a comparably equipped S or 7er, I might be more excited. Maybe it's my own bias, but maybe not.

Oh, just saw an X1 apparently out for a test drive, had the dangly temp dealer plate stuck to the back.
    I think it does. I know the new Impreza is capable of impressive mileage for an AWD car, something like 36 highway.

Another Audi issue is that the published lease rates seem to be a lot higher than the other Germans.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    That's much better than any other car I've had, the Legacy does get decent mileage but I just can't warm up to the rubber band transmission.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,669
    A number of Impreza tests haven't been able to get those mpgs. CR averaged 27 mpg overall, less than most of its competition.