Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    If other designers copy it (and they will, as recently the profession is not the most creative), maybe it will normalize. Still kind of iffy though. I see the weird chipmunk cheek Infiniti face is in competition.

I don't mind the Ford, it's an Aston homage. The Avalon is odd on two levels - the big maw, and the fact that it has an upper and lower grille.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Saw a new Kia Cadenza on i95 yesterday near Baltimore. It was a metallic brown, not flattering for the car.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I finished reading this sci-fi book about a cockroach that wakes up one morning and finds himself turned into a human being. So anyway, he moves to Manhattan (where else?) and buys himself a Lincoln 4D in dark brown metallic! :)
    Lol! IMO brown cars need to go back to the 70s where they came from.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I liked the khaki Honda Element but it was more of a tan I guess. Pretty "rare" bird. Some of the old brown Volvos weren't too bad.
    Brown is for UPS trucks! :P

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm sure some of the old brown Volvo wagons were confused with UPS trucks. :D
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    On Mercedes Pagoda SLs and Porsche 911s. At least it's not just another boring shade of grey/silver.

Two shades of Metallic brown are on the current Porsche configurator. Make mine Mahogany Metallic.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Brown is also awesome on a MB 6.9, and can work on a W126 (not my first choice, but not my last). I think the E63 wagon is offered in brown, that could be workable.
    Yep, dark brown was popular on 60s and 70s Benzes and went very well with an orangey-brown upholstery (MB-Tex?) they had.

The old color name was "Havanna Brown", after the early 60s unpleasantness changed to "Tobacco Brown". The "palomino" interior color was popular in the 70s and 80s.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    My wife likes a lot of the browns (probably more metallic bronze at this point) on some of the new cars available. But, the only option on the RDX we bought was too light.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Yeah, brown on a modern car needs to be dark to look good. But a nice golden brown can work on a 70s car.

Like a 6.9 - my first choice would be a light silvery blue, but brown is probably my second choice:

For new cars, I drove by the local Lexus dealer and saw about a dozen new IS sitting outside.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I dunno Fin, my wife grew up on a farm and refers to vehicles in that sort of hue as "calve sh.." - just kidding! Seriously though, I'm personally more geared toward a goldish tannish sort of color because it's the brown hue's answer to silver - doesn't show dirt much and inconspicuous to police cruisers. I know; Boring!
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    I'm personally more geared toward a goldish tannish sort of color because it's the brown hue's answer to silver - doesn't show dirt much and inconspicuous to police cruisers.

Yeah, that's the color of my '85 380SE. MB called it 'Champagne'. It's attractive on a Benz but I wouldn't drink champagne that color.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Yesterday I parked next to a new BMW 5 series GT, the GT is the one with the controversial hatchback. This one didn't look bad from the angles I saw it at (mostly front 3/4) but I get why people don't like it. It's supposed to be 7 Series based but it didn't look much larger than my old (2000) E39 5er parked next to it. White doesn't flatter many cars but this one looked OK to me.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Saw a Benz SLS leaving Lowe's yesterday, followed it a few blocks. Impressive, not what I'd call beautiful...how much fun can somebody have with that in town?
    Most of them are just to show off...so lots of fun on the boulevard.

Saw a 2014 E-class, white.
    A poopy (excuse the expression...or not) brown won't work on a modern car, but it works when such colors were trendy. A friend of mine who mocks 70s cars has different names for each maker's brown - each having to do with doo-doo.

Gold can work sometimes, but can also be kind of beige.
    Not brand new, but saw a W221 S65 today, sounded like a muted WWII fighter plane. If only gas was cheaper. It was cooler than the murdered out current style ML63 I saw soon after.

Local Chevy dealer now has a line of 4-5 new Impalas, one at the end looked like the base model.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    On the way up to and back from Orlando yesterday must've seen a dozen or so new Imapala's so they are starting to really show up now and it's an awesome looking vehicle compared to the rental fleet from 13 and earlier! GM did an exceptional job here and should be commended. Am very excited about getting one in the fall or winter for a trip to Orlando or Tampa...want to get some seat time in one to really see how good the vehicle is. On this same note, I'm not a lover of larger vehicles but the new Tahoe's we've driven lately have been very nice drivers and it's time for GM to do their magic and bring it into the 21st century. And first thing they need to do is get rid of that ridiculously wimpy steering wheel, hell, even the Chrysler 200 has a nicer and meatier wheel to hold on to! A small complaint I know but it's something that has to be used daily and to me, it's those little touches that really make or break a vehicle...that attention to the tiniest detail no matter how inconsequential it may be. I guess that's what puts the luxury brands above the mainstream ones, it's their attention to detail to make even the smallest thing a work of art. I guess there's no one perfect vehicle out there but some of these guys are pretty close! Just hope that on my next vehicle I can get some of that refinement for myself!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Yeah that steering wheel is too thin. I recently drove a Yukon Denali and was stunned at the wheel, in an otherwise really nice vehicle.

Had time to kill earlier, went car browsing. MB dealer had facelift E coupe cabrio and wagon but no sedans sitting around. No GLK Bluetecs, but did have an ML. Talked to the salesman who sold me my car - he won a company sponsored trip to Germany and got to tour Sindelfingen, visit AMG, etc - he was still excited about it. He's an actual enthusiast - drives a similar Bluetec to mine, also has an old 911S, has had W126 and W116 - I like to see things like that. Lexus dealer had maybe 15x new IS, all but one a non-F-sport, only saw one IS350. BMW had a 7er with a white interior (not creme, not platinum - white), and an M6 Gran Coupe MSRP 126K. Also an active hybrid 3er with MSRP a couple hundred bucks shy of 60K - that's almost the cost of my E. Toyota dealer had an Avalon with zero options, must be unusual - and a metric ton of 4Runners.
    saw a new MDX in the wild (1 for sure, and I think a 2nd one). Hard to tell from a distance, because it really does look a lot like my RDX, just bigger. Fancy LED headlights though. I think it is going to do well, but 10K more for same basic platform, just a little bigger with a tiny 3rd row and a few toys, is a large premium.

Also a Ford C-maxx. looked smaller than I expected out and about.

I spotted a new (2011-12?) Spyker-era Saab 9-5, a nice looking vehicle. I also saw a 9-3 station wagon from late in the GM-era and a misbegotten "Saabaru" (an Impreza re-badged as a Saab 9-2X). All of these are rare sights even in Saab-loving New England.

Saw a 2014 Silverado sitting at the dealer, and an electric RAV4 on the road (ugly nose).
    Saw a white Tesla S in my building's garage today - never seen it before, I assume it was a visitor (no charging stations here).
    new model must be selling, because I am seeing them all over the place.

Rode in a co-workers rideshare van today - new Grand Caravan with just a few thousand miles on it. For a base model fleet vehicle, it was surprisingly not bad. Definitely cheap, but it was smooth and quiet enough, dual AC worked well, seemed to be put together just fine. Sliding doors had power windows, which is something not seen back when I was a kid riding in minivans. A very honest vehicle.

I also saw a new Boxster driven by an old couple - looked to be in their 80s anyway. It looked highly optioned, and was a blinding kind of electric blue color. The old guy was watching me as I slowly jogged by (warm day), I think hoping that I would give it a stare, so I obliged and nodded.
    stopped at the VW dealer, which is right next to the Porsche dealer. Man, did they have some seriously nice stuff parked outside.

Saw a 2014 E-class on the road, didn't have the deluxe lighting. Also saw a couple Tesla S.
    Saw a white 2014 E wagon today, admittedly driving away from the dealer's holding lot.

Also a red Tesla S, parked at a high end body shop, appeared to have rear drivers side door damage.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    i've been saying many of these. I was just commenting the other day to the wife that I see those more often than the Leaf.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I can't recall the last time I saw a Leaf outside a car show. The only thing more scarce than a Leaf is a MiEV.
    Come to Seattle - the tree huggers love them - subsidized 199/month lease helps too, more money to devote to the energy guzzling suburban tract mcmansion.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Lotus Evora - It was kind of a strange color for that car. Not sure if I liked it or not.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    I can't recall the last time I saw a Leaf outside a car show.

I saw one yesterday, doing about 80 down the carpool lane of the southbound 101. Hope there was an electrical outlet at the end of the journey.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    haha. I've done that with mine. I've actually had it up to 95. The battery does indeed deplete is a great hurry at those speeds!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

...a coworker's new black Cadillac ATS w/V-6 engine.
    Spotted a new MDX with the 754 headlights.
    spent last week at the shore (Jersey) in one of the richest towns anywhere. the money down there is just depressing (when it isn't yours).

anyway, it is a fantastic place to look at nice iron. Among other things, a new big roller just street parked like a "normal" car. More BMWs and Benzes than you could shake a stick at. Mulitple Panameras.

but my favorite, the first Jag F type I have seen in the wild. Man, I want one of them. Bad. Power ball special of course, but a few tickets I can afford!

I have seen a few of them. really have to see it from the front or up close to tell the difference from my RDX.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Saw what I believe was a red mid 60's MB roadster today. A replacement for the Fintail???
    Margate?
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    edited August 2013
    I counted (5) of them this weekend between trips thru MA and one to NH. The headlights were the only way I could decipher them from the hundreds of GEN 2 models around here.

Also spotted and R8 V10, an XK-R and a mint condition early NSX that looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

And one that I wonder if the resident GM fans can answer. It was one of the current Sierra pickups in blue that looked like it was well cared for but the underside had a ridiculous amount of rust. I was behind it on the highway and the rear axles was completely brown, the shock mounts were covered, the U-brackets, the brakes. Then passed around the side of it and the frame was full of rust as well, not full but the welds, sections of the chassi... this thing was a bucket. :sick:

My buddy had rust problems on one of his lemons back in 2006 but the rust on that thing was confined to the bumpers and the spare tire well. This thing looked like it had been sitting in a salt bath for it's life.
    Stopped by the MB dealer to begin the wild goose chase for a couple fintail parts, and what do they have on the showroom floor? A CLA. Papers on the car said it was just for display, no demos. I was actually kind of surprised by it, it really kind of resembles a 3/4 scale CLS.
    Stone harbor/Avalon.

We were in Sea Isle Saturday night. No shortage of new expensive iron there either !

Saw a Mitsu MiEV - it looks...special.
    A new Mazda 6 has appeared a couple spots away from me at home. Appears to be a standard model - no sunroof anyway, I don't think it had leather either. I did look and see it was a J VIN.