Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684
    here at work just showed up this morning in a new Chrysler 300 Touring, in Cool Vanilla. He wanted a Hemi, but then once he found out what it would do with his insurance, and with fuel costs, and the added price of the car, he figured that the Touring model is more than enough for his needs.

It has me lusting for one more than ever, but make mine Magnesium...and with a Hemi!!

They had a Scion xA at a GM test drive event this past weekend that I went to. I wanted to drive it, but it was getting really hot out, and we were getting hungry. After eating, my friend's stomach acted up, and I started getting a headache (damn GM food! ;-), so we just got in line to drive a Hummer H2, and then called it a day.

I was curious to see how it drove, though. They also had an Aveo there. Smallest thing we drove was a Matrix, and while small cars aren't my thing, it's a decent little car. They had a Maxx there as well, but we just drove the regular Malibu. I'm 6'3", and had no problem fitting in it. It feels like it has a bit more legroom than the previous Malibu.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I have to laugh when some moron in the city can't get past double-parked cars on side streets while driving one (as long as I'm not behind it!). I don't think I could afford the gas, let alone the payment!
    I can't see what the fascination is with the Hummer. Sitting behind the wheel of the thing, it felt like being behind the wheel of a school bus! It was about the same color too, so that might have been part of what made me think of it. But the upright windshield and flat hood made me think of one.

You also really have to put your foot in it to get it to move. It's not like a lot of older cars where you just pop it into gear and it'll lunge forward under its own power. This thing won't idle. About the best analogy I can think of is trying to start off in a car with the parking brake still partially on.

They really don't let you drive that fast on these courses, and with the Hummer, Corvette, and SSR, they have an employee ride with everybody, to keep people from getting too stupid. Most we might've gotten up to was about 25 mph.

They had a little obstacle course set up that was kinda fun, though. The first part put you on an embankment that tilted you either toward the driver's side or the pasenger side, depending on which side you went on. The lady with us said that the driver's side was steeper, so I took it ;-) We were tilted over so far that I started getting worried that we'd tip! I know realistically, that was probably impossible (they wouldn't be THAT stupid, to set up a course like that...would they??), but being inside that thing when it tilted seemed much more extreme than just watching other people drive them on the embankment, while we waited in line!

Then they had this part with alternating craters on either side, so you could see how the suspension takes the bumps. And the last thing was a steep hill. It was a pile of dirt and gravel, maybe 10 feet tall, that you drove up and over, kinda like the first hump on a kiddie coaster or something. Now THAT was kinda fun!

I'll admit, it was fun, but I just don't get it. Even if I had the money, what the hell would I do with the thing? If I were going off-roading, seriously I think I'd try to just get an old Ramcharger, Jeep, Bronco or whatever, that was a little rough around the edges, and I wouldn't cry whenever it got mud on it or a scratch!
  • ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    My daughter got to do the "sit in the convertible and wave to the crowd" think in a local parade last Saturday. The convertible they used was a screaming yellow SSR. She sat on the deck right behind the seats. IMHO, that is one stupid vehicle. All the utility of a sports car and the handling of a pickup in one gas-guzzling package. It's a nice shape, at first, but the more I looked at it, the less I liked it.

Sunday, a local BMW dealer brought a new 545 to our autocross, and let a few lucky souls take it around the course. I didn't get to drive it, but I did ride along. It had the sport package, which gives you an incredible combination of ride and handling. With some of our better drivers at the wheel, it was turning in respectable times despite carrying four people. The consensus among those who drove is that "active steering" works very well. I still can't wrap my mind around the shape or price tag.

I've also seen a light green 300C a couple of times around here. That's a car that says, "Yeah, I'm an American car, got a problem with that?" And it's good looking enough to carry it off well.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,391
    it was nice enough looking, I was struck by how much it looked like a garden variety 911 Carrera fro the side or rear, oversize air intakes in front give it away.

Those are unattractive and not very Porsche-like. They had good reasons for going to water cooling but it's part of the Porsche look to have a smooth front, not gaping holes up front.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• lexusguy1973lexusguy1973 Member Posts: 5
    saw at least a 55 year old man driving one! killed my ls out of the starting gate on green..saw it long enough to decide its gona kill the f-series lightning in sales
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...with fuel prices where they are I'll be seeing plenty more cars like the red Chevrolet Aveo I saw yesterday.
    just heard rumors of another 300 showing up here at work, this one a 300C. Evidently one of my former co-workers, who used to work with me but is in another building now, just bought a silver one. I haven't seen it yet, but our office lead, who recently bought a Cool Vanilla Touring edition, saw this guy's daughter getting into it with him.

This guy had been driving an '02 or '03 Ram pickup with a 4.7, just RWD, and complaining about fuel economy! I think he has about a 40 mile commute each way. If I were that concerned about economy, I think I'd get an economy car, but I guess even going from that Ram to a Hemi C, he should see a pretty big boost, especially since his commute is mostly highway.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,538
    just get out there and buy it. You know you want to.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I'm torn right now! Part of me wants one, but then there's another part of me that's going to be soooo relieved this November 21, which is when I make the final payment on my Intrepid!

A new Hemi C would be nice, but so would no car payment! Damn I hate being practical (i.e., cheap) sometimes!!
    I can relate to the dilema of wanting new but liking no payments. At least it is fun to look.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Wait a year after the Intrepid is paid off, save money, keep an eye on 300 cars to see if they aren't too buggy, and then go for it.
    screw that. Buy one this weekend and enjoy!

y'all promise to still write to me in the poor house! ;-)
    C'mon Andre, how can anyone that has more cars than Shaquille O'neal be poor?

but a 300C would probably cost me more than what I paid for all my other cars, combined! (not counting repairs over the years, but just initial purchase price).

I'd also imagine that Shaq doesn't drive Dodges and 20 year old pickup trucks! ;-)
    just took me for a spin in his 300C. I WANT ONE!!! I'll admit though, that there are a few minor things I don't like. The armrest is supposed to be a soft-touch plastic, but it's one of those textures that you really have to force yourself into before you realize it's soft-touch! Overall, not that comfortable. And the carpeting that they attach to the lower parts of the door panels looks like blonde pubic hair...would've been better to just not put any carpet at all down there if they were just going to use something low-quality. The rest of the carpeting, on the floor, was okay. No better than my Intrepid though, which is kinda sad, considering it stickered for less than 2/3 what this car probably does!

The headliner's made out of a material that's kinda durable looking, like indoor/outdoor furniture, but I just don't find it that upscale looking, although I like the fact that they covered the inside of the A-pillars with it, as well.

As for ride comfort, well, it's pretty obvious this car is set up for performance, and in general you can have a smooth ride or great performance, but rarely both at the same time. Anybody raised on a cushy full-sized 70's or 80's car, and prefers that kind of isolation, will hate it. In contrast, the 300C feels kinda police car-ish, although I don't mind! ;-)

And this car really reinforces the fact that you should never go on what the published legroom is. The 300 and Magnum are only rated at 41.8" or so in front legroom, which is actually LESS than the Intrepid, 300M, etc that they're replacing (42.2"). But actually sitting inside one, it feels like there's much more stretch-out room.
    RWD usually has more room in the foot wheel, since there is less drivetrain to eat up space. I know that legroom measurements are kinda strange (same with headroom), which is why I always have to test fit.

Andre, time to start rationalizing. You make a payment now, so buy the 300 and keep the payment similar, and it's like getting a new car for nothing. Just ignore the fact that you extended the term 5 years.

FOr the armrest, shouldn't be too hard to get a little pad of some kind to pamper your forearm. And if the blond hair bothers you, get a dark colored interior.

If you need any more help overcoming weak objections or rationalizing, let me know. It's one of my strong points (particularly with other people's money).

At least drive one for yourself. Can't really get a full picture just riding in one.

my mind is made up. I WILL get one of these things, eventually. Just wanted to point out a few nitpicks, to prove that Chrysler doesn't have me totally brainwashed!! ;-)

I think mine's gonna be Magnesium. Either that, or that light jade green.

Oh yeah, I just found out something of interest, as well...the supplier of the sunroofs for the 300 has run out! My office lead, who has the touring edition, lucked out and got one with a sunroof, but the guy who just got the 300C ordered his, and they had to call him back and tell him their supplier ran out of sunroofs! He asked them who their second source supplier was (he's good at technical talk like that) and the guy just went "uuuuuhhhh..."

I think he said it would have taken a few months to get one with a sunroof, so he just decided to take it, anyway.

I hope the sunroof thing doesn't hurt their sales too much!
    one other thing I like about the new 300, is that the rear windows roll down all the way. Of course, considering what narrow little slits they are, it would be kinda lame if they didn't!
    Well, if it was for me, no roof = no sale. I think it will hurt them somewhat, since it is a "luxury" car (at least the higher end models), so it is somewhat expected.

• seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    I'm just the opposite. I don't care for sunroofs. I've had 'em before, but hardly ever used them, adds cost and weakens the structure of the car. One of the things that turned me off about the Protege 5 back when I was looking (same thing with the Mazda 6 right now) is that if you want side airbags and ABS (yes I do) you have to eat the moonroof and the cost that comes with it. No thanks.
    I got as quick glance at a pair of Magnums sitting in front of a local dealer. It looked okay but a bit at odds with itself, IMO. The large trucklike grille didn't quite go with the tapered roofline (cribbed from Audi's Avants).

One was black, the other silver. The black carried the lines better, I thought.

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Andy, that's a huge BINGO!

Front and back just don't jibe.
    Dodge's current trend to 'RAM-ify' the front end of all its cars isn't the best idea, IMO. I mean, brand identity is fine and all, but the front of the Magnum is a bit much. Then again, I think their 'target buyer' is male and likely driving a truck or SUV, so I guess they wanted the car to look as macho as possible for a wagon, which I think they accomplished.

Anywho, in the last day, I saw my first Chrysler 300C (black with big chrome wheels, in a dealer's lot) and a Cadillac SLR (??-the new two-seat convertible). Nice looking car, but I almost didn't notice it cuz it looks so much like the CTS except shorter.
  • kmagkmag Member Posts: 98
    I saw a 300 in that vanilla color the other day. I think it looks horrible in that shade, it looks like leftover paint from late 60s Cadillac or something.

Also spied the first Scion XB on the road, it was heading the other way on the freeway so I didnt get too good a look, it was a red-orange color. This car just might be on my short list of used cars to look at in a few years.
    for Dodge to introduce a car that has a truck look at a time when gas prices are causing people out of SUVs into more economical vehicles.

Entirely accidental, but good timing. Not that I like the trucky look myself.

the trucky look of the Magnum. I actually find it to be sleeker looking than the 300C, which is so blunt and blocky looking that it would be at home in a showroom full of Diplomats and Gran Furys. But hey, that's just me!

I hope that the upcoming Charger is more than just a 300 with a Magnum front-end grafted on. But I think I'd prefer a 300 with the Magnum's nose to a 300 with the nose it came with!
  • riptideriptide Member Posts: 12
    Saw 2 new Subaru Outbacks over the weekend: 1 green and 1 silver.
    Also saw a dark blue 2005 Toyota Matrix (new grille and taillights)
    probably not that unusual where you are, 5er sales are up 3% this year, but I don't see many here, the nearest dealer is 35 miles away.

This one was unusual in having no badge on the trunk, I think it was a 530i or 525i 'cuz there were only a single pair of pipes coming out the back and the wheels were no bigger than 16". That type of debadging is popular in Europe but you don't see it much in the status-conscious USA.

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...I saw an unusual green Saab 9-3 Aero convertible.
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    2005 Dodge Magnum SXT, 2004.5 Volvo S40, 2004 Chevrolet Aveo, and also seen a lot of 2005 Chrysler 300's.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    Isuzu really thinks they can survive selling just these things? I know it's basically a Trailblazer but darned if they didn't beat on it with an ugly stick before they were ready to call it an Isuzu. The Rodeo wasn't much but at least it was good looking, as SUVs go.

-Jason
    I personally like the Isuzu Ascender better than the GMC Envoy and maybe the Chevrolet Trailblazer, and the Buick Rainier, but not the 2005 Saab 9-7X.
    all of a sudden, the littlest Scions are everywhere around here. Until recently I was seeing the xB now and then but hardly any xAs but that's changed in the last couple of weeks. Somebody on my road just got one. It sits in a driveway full of American iron.

• vikdvikd Member Posts: 187
    ...Dodge Magnum in Cool Vanilla yesterday during lunch. I think the veh has quite an imposing presence. My neighbor had an interesting way of describing it; says it looks like a slightly sleeker, sectioned Hurse for short people... Thought that was pretty clever and I can actually see some comparison...

Regards... Vikd
    how long they've been out now, but I saw my first VW New Beetle 'vert the other day. I think I saw the same one again today, because there's no way in hell there would be that many of them in THAT color! It was kind of a putty/beige color with a black top. My old '69 Dart GT hardtop was a color close to that, but had enough chrome on it to set it off better. I think some colors SHOULD just stay in the past!
    Funny, I saw one the other day the same color, I really liked it....of course, the only other new Beetle converts I've seen were a metallic pumpkiny orange, which I also like, so what do I know? The black top and kind of chromey wheels on the vanilla color really set it off.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I saw 2 Scion xBs today. People around here (northern NJ) seem to be using them as commuter cars, not customizing them like the CA buyers. I have yet to see one with any obvious aftermarket parts.

I'm also seeing a lot of Cadillac SRXs and, for some reason, Chevy Impalas around here lately. However, the new Chrysler 300 doesn't seem to be that popular in this area. When I was in PA a month ago, I was seeing quite a few of them, but not here.

-Andrew L
    actually, if we were going for ice-cream colors, I'd say this one was more of a light caramel! I just looked at the VW colors on the Edmund's listing, and while the colors there are going to vary from monitor to monitor, I guess, I'd imagine it's what they call "Harvest Moon Beige". They have another color listed as simply "Cream", so maybe that's the vanilla-looking color? There's a color called "Sundown Orange", which might be that pumpkin color. I think it's kinda cool too, and would probably look cool on something retro like a Beetle!
    Yesterday i saw a Scion xB it had bodykits and it looked awesome!! Also yesterday i saw the Chrysler 300 (base package) in like the vanilla color i think it looked really really bad cuz that color does NOT goes ith that car.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I;m seeing so many of them. I went to Virgina last weekend and saw about 10 of them. Today I went around New Jersey with my Dad. My Dad told me today 300C's sell to rental fleets. I told him I read that Chrysler is offering very little incentives on 300C's. I saw 2 Chrysler 300C's both with new car tags on them today. I saw a few more 300C's than those 2 I saw today to. I'm like this car is hot and its a Chrysler. Its been a long time since I;ve seen a Chrysler sought after like this.

Also saw alot of Mazda 6 station wagons on my trip to Virgina last weekend(I wonder if Mazda is selling them to rental's or people are buying them as a low budget alternative to an SUV.)

Also seen alot of Mazda 3's(this car may not be as hot as the 300C but its close.) I am a huge Mazda fan and I haven't seen people go crazy over a Mazda product like this ever. I;m like this car is hot but its a Mazda. Usually don't crazy over buying Mazda. People are going crazy over the 3 though.

I guess Andre 1969 should be thrilled at the the way the new Durango and 300C are selling. I think its Chrysler finally is doing something right.
    Yesterday i saw my first 2005 Subaru Outback in silver it looked very nice! also seen lots of xB's and a couple of xA's.
    New A8L in Danville on Saturday.

I like it. A whole lot. Too big for my personal tastes, but if you feel the need to do the big sedan, this is the one to do, IMO.
    one of the largest, non-limo backseats I've ever sat in. Back seat is huge (hmmm, not enough effect.) How about HUUUUUUGE! There, that's better.
    The interior is a mind blower, Kev. The one I saw was green with a brown leather interior offset with this beautiful orangey burl trimmed in black. I wanted to live in there! A man's interior if ever I saw one. Just needed a few leather-bound volumes of Kipling, a brandy decanter, maybe a billiard table...
    ;-)
    I was in VA/MD/DC for a week and I was astounded to see the number of 300s since they've just come out. I think it'll habdily outsell both
    LHS and 300M.

I saw a brand new Audi A8L today. Dark blue. Nice looking. First one I've actually seen on the road.
    and although I've been spotting a few new Chrysler 300's around town, I saw one yesterday in a reallllly dark red color that I didn't realize they made. Looked like black cherry or something along those lines. Didn't look bad, but not a color I'd buy.
    2005 Toyota Corolla
    2005 Jeep Liberty