Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...red Cadillac XTS on Napfle and Verree in NE Philly.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Saw one yesterday, another this morning. They're selling well, sales are up a little from last year but considering prices are much higher that's impressive.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Here's the Fiat. It's big:

Also saw a Yaris hybrid, and a Lexus IS - maybe a diesel model, it was pretty lowline. First IS I have seen in weeks, this isn't bad.
    Looks to be about the size of a Countryman. Maybe taller, though.

Do you see a lot of tall vanlets nowadays? I remember the Xsara Picasso and Megane Scenic used to be ubiquitous.
    Everywhere. Those are a dominant vehicle here, and more utilitarian ones like the Berlingo and equivalents. I really don't like the look of the older egg shaped Picasso either, dorky.

The French are no surprise very nationalistic about their vehicle choices too - the big French 3 have to be an easy combined majority, VW probably second.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Besides being generally odd, I discovered the CrossCabriolet has an odd 'skylight' over the rear seat as I followed it in to work today:
    Fiat Doblo also? Perhaps the most hideous car ever made.

My sister-in-law had one of those egg Picassos. I drove it - funny to find a manual 4 banger in a vanlet.
    edited November 2012
    That's so your cargo shelf has a nice view of the moon.

Ridiculous placement.
    The real controversial one was the Fiat Multipla ~2000, frog face. Ugly as sin, but I like that one because it was daring - not ugly boring like so many others.

I'd wager the majority here are manual diesels. Maybe not much fun though with basic suspensions and industrial engines.
    I think if I went to Europe I'd try to rent some pocket rocket not available here.
    There are a few that can be had. I like to rent an insanely expensive (pref diesel) luxoboat, also not available here. Funny thing, when Euros come to the US, they want to rent Mustangs, Camaros, and big SUVs.
    For sure, something we don't get here. If only to sample something new.
    Every car I have rented here has at least been an engine that doesn't exist in NA. I also like to rent something I could never afford at home. Highline rentals in Europe are much cheaper than at home - for what I am paying for the A8, I'd be lucky to get something that cost half as much in the US,.
    edited November 2012
    DSG.

Friend of mine retired, his son drove up in one of these to drop off some stuff for him.

Nice, but very bland. A great car for many people, though.

Edit: said he paid $33k for it.
    Shoot, you'd have probably ended up with a Camcord or a Sonata for the same cost as the A8 here.
    Must be very well equipped. Nice change from a loaded camcord anyway.
    edited November 2012
    Not quite that bad (even with Hertz), but you can get a 5er/A6/E rental here for about the price of a Camcord rental in many US locations, if you play your cards right. Cars will be as well or better equipped than NA spec models, too. I am paying about what a "luxury" rate would be at most rental agencies in the US. It's a worthy splurge, as I do well with hotel deals (about to head to bed in a wonderful place for the money right now) and do my own laundry etc so it all works out.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    I spotted a new Scion FR-S sitting alongside a dealership so I decided to have a better look since it's the first I've seen. It was black and quite dirty, a little bit larger than I expected, a bit like a mini-Mustang. The black interior revealed few details but I did make out an Automatic shifter(!).

I'd really like to see the Freeze/Breeze suceed since I favor lightweight RWD cars but Road & Track thinks it's geared badly for sporty driving and I find the styling uninspiring. Too bad.

Also had a quick look at the new Ford Mondeo Fusion, I thought it very sharp looking but why put on that sporty sloping backlight and not give it hatchback versatility?

For a second (from the front) I actually thought it might be an Aston-Martin Rapide.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

edited November 2012
    In Switzerland now, saw a BLS wagon - those have to be uncommon. Nothing else of note, one Prius going slow on a Swiss highway, no Lexus.

Am staying in Zurich, so lots of minor exotics (M/S/AMG/Turbo/Rolls-Bentley/Maserati etc) to be seen, as this is the place where unearned money goes to hide from the taxes levied by the systems which enable it to exist in the first place. Oops, that's class warfare, I meant "they built it". A private bank on every corner.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    saw one in the wild. In the parking lot at the high school, when I was picking up my daughter.

Looked sharp. Will be interested in seeing on up close and sitting inside.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Saw a GS hybrid a couple hours ago - maybe the only one in Switzerland if not Europe. I can't imagine what they cost here, as I know they can fly past 70K in the states, perhaps the worst use of such money since the 5er GT.

Saw a few other Lexus today, - one IS and a few RX. One RX was a taxi. A few Prius too, all but one or two taxis. Also a Volt that was a Chevy and not an Opel.
    Funky but in an interesting way.
    Saw a late model low spec 2 door Landcruiser today - a real SUV. Also my first Lexus CT, and a handful of Prius and RX.

Also saw a Rolls Ghost in the hotel parking lot (it's not THAT fancy), and while not new, a huge rarity in Europe - Kia Opirus.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    A Toyota Tundra in U-Haul livery - seriously!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Parked in front of the local café, Michigan plates. Black.

What was notable was the front right signal light was smashed and repaired with some clear packing tape.
    edited November 2012
    Have seen a few VW Up! on the road. Dumb name.

Saw a late model Taurus somewhere in the middle of Germany today, don't know how that got here. Also an Ampera, a current style Chrysler 300. And in Austria, not a current model, but a Ssangyong (not a Rodius, I know that horror) that was just hideous, more of that Asian design flair.

Saw another Lexus CT, an IS, and zero Prius or RX. Not a bad day.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Aren't there a fair number of US military and civilian support that still work there? I'm thinking that may be why you're seeing these American vehicles.
    Oh yeah, the American taxpayer is still shoveling metric tons of cash into the fireplace to maintain a military occupation in Europe, and to give servicemen a glorified vacation here.

I think a few do bring over SUVs and trucks, which also have some local market for farmers and heavy towers. But of all things to bring over, a Taurus?
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Stopped at my Subaru dealer over the weekend to look at the new XV Crosstrek. They had 3 of them and all of them had sold tags on them so I didn't have a chance to take one for a spin...

Ironically, I saw 4 more of them later that day in my travels. And this was the first day I had even seen one on the road...
    "Stopped at my Subaru dealer over the weekend to look at the new XV Crosstrek"

That reminds me, somebody now has one of those in the parking garage. Looks fine, better than the 2014 Forester pics I've seen.
    I've seen more than a few of those driving around also.

Subaru needs to find more plant capacity because demand for the Impreza outstrips supply. The model actually passed the Forester to be their #2 seller so far this year (of course a new Forester is coming soon).

They should start building one or both of those here. They are expanding SIA now.
    Does Subaru still make the Outback?
    It's still their best seller, #2 is the Impreza and #3 the Forester.

Forester used to outsell the Impreza by 3 to 1! Sales really took off with the current generation, I guess there was pent-up demand for a truly fuel efficient AWD car.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I need a little help figuring out what it was I saw today (Happy Thanksgiving to all by the way).

I was headed into work this after noon and had a model for Honda I've never seen before cross in front of me at a light. It looked like an Oddy and Fit is shape but a little smaller than the CRV. I looked online and the only thing I can find that came close was the FR-V (which is no longer made). I tried to catch a glimp of the back but only saw blue / white plates and no nametags. I know it was a new model because it still had window tags and white plastic wrap on it.

Odie
    edited November 2012
    A new Lexus (LS460?) went by me and I was struck by how good it looked. No more imitation Mercedes, it had it's own clean, strong look which is odd because the big Mercs look very Asian these days. I wonder if they make the big Lex in any color but silver? ;)

I too saw a new LS today, with the Exner grille. I don't think it is a new car, just a much needed facelift. Gives it more presence, I guess.

Also a new Escape.
    What surprises me is how similar the different Lexus models look now. They used to be much more distinctive from each other.
    LS:
    ES:
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    the side view is OK, but man, that face is butt ugly.

Lexus may regret trying to go away from their core values and audience.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

What surprises me is how similar the different Lexus models look now. They used to be much more distinctive from each other.

I noticed that yesterday at the AZ Auto Show. I couldn't tell an ES from a GS.

Some other impressions from the AZAS:

-The new Mercedes SL looks much better than in photos, seems to have gotten a little smaller (no it wasn't an SLK).

-There were too many white cars on exhibit. It's true that white is a favored color in sun-blasted Arizona but if you were going to live here year-round you sure wouldn't want a black interior which most of them had! All the BMWs shown were white despite the fact that half the Bimmers in metro Phoenix (mine included) are black.

-The new Audi S7 and A4 Allroad are really nice, especially with orange-brown leather.

-The Caddy ATS looks nice inside and out. The XTS is too big but nicely styled. I particularly like the way they extended the tailights to create faux fins.

-The Ford Mondeo Fusion got bigger. I'm not sure why they need the Taurus, the Fusion looks just as big inside.

-I didn't care for the styling of the C-Max at all, looks kinda blimpy IMO.

-The Mustang felt really big when I sat in one.

-OTOH the new Porsche Boxster (981) fit me like a glove, nicely compact but with plenty of cockpit space but the steering wheel rim was too thick.
    The Boxster was noticeably nicer looking than the 911 'vert it was parked next to.

-I was hoping Jag would show the new F-Type but there was no sign of it. :cry:

Could be a JDM Ody van, I've seen one with diplomatic plates around me. They're smaller than our Ody, better looking too.

Having said that, smaller than a CR-V? I think you must've seen the FR-V as you expected. Here's the older, boxy one:

http://www.cars-directory.net/galleryhonda/fr-v/2000/honda_fr-v_a1247230206b2836- 127_2_p.html

Was that it?
    I've been seeing a lot of GSs, probably a dozen this week.

I'm sure the family resemblance is intentional, but for me, I would have made the IS and GS look sporty, and kept the LS and ES more conservative.
    Next door neighbor has the 3rd generation model, then got a 2nd gen model for his daughter. Then a friend just got a new LX (replaced a Tribute), and another friend just picked one up on Sunday (replaced an Odyssey).
    Champagne-colored 2013 Chevrolet Malibu on PA Turnpike.
    Black Dodge Charger on Tabor Avenue near Levick in NE Philly.
    Black Chevrolet Volt on Bingham Street near Unruh in NE Philly.
    Light blue Toyota Camry on Bingham street near Hellerman in NE Philly.
    Caddy dealer has about 20 XTS right now. Saw a white Dart on the Dodge lot. Nothing else of interest.

Local motorcycle cops appear to have new rides - I know they had BMWs (perfect for Bellevue, surprised the city doesn't have a fleet of 5er cop cars) once, now appear to be Yamaha, big maybe FJR1300 or something.
    How can you not notice a broken down car that delayed me for about an hour near Chain Bridge?

Worse, he broke down on the bridge, but they moved it to the DC side, causing a huge backup. :sick:
    Not new cars, but saw two MB sedans with matte black paint this morning. Looks terrible when dirty - as if the [non-permissible content removed] effect of a matte black 5 year old S-class isn't enough.

Saw yet another Infiniti Minivan - must have sold 20K of them within 10 miles of me alone.
    More than the R-class?
    Compared to the Infiniti? R seems to be a relatively rare bird anywhere - not many people bought into the idea of what looked like a Pacifica for twice the price.

Or for the douchey set, na, it's almost an invisible car, way too subtle for that group, even in AMG trim.

I have a crazy R-Class idea - I wonder if it is long enough, with rear seats removed, to fit a bike. As I have the motorcycle itch, I have considered ways to haul a bike, as I can't exactly fit it in either of my cars, even with the fintail's spacious trunk. But a diesel R, with some kind of ramp or pulling system, would be a pretty unique toy hauler. Low enough to not be cumbersome, rare, boring enough to not attract attention.

On the new car front, saw another Exner (I think that's what I will name them) GS on the road, initial sales anyway should be quite healthy.
    GS is at 4 times the rate of the old one, roughly.

More importantly it shows up on the charts.
    I would expect even more than 4x. Who actually bought a 2012 GS, and what was wrong with them?

The Germans need competition, that segment can become beige very quickly, as the new 5er has shown.