Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You have to get past the exterior to even look at the interior. ;)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Just approach it from the side, then all is well. I guess most people never look at the front of their car :P
    You think dealers put a table in front or something? ;)
    Saw a new Fusion today, looked to be a highline model - big wheels etc. Pretty rakish. Dark grey, stupid color for this particular driver as it was well after dark, dark road with few lights, idiot.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    parked next to one at the local upscale shopping center. Saw a lot of nice cars there!

Including a new C class Benz. Not exotic, but really sharp in dark blue. I could live with one of those.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Saw a new Fusion today, looked to be a highline model - big wheels etc. Pretty rakish. Dark grey, stupid color for this particular driver as it was well after dark, dark road with few lights, idiot.

fin - you complain about a lot of things but not liking a dark car at night??

Is there more to the story??
    Must have forgot to mention, no lights on. No DRLs, parking lights, anything. It was essentially invisible.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Ok that makes more sense.

I think that is happening to more and more people. The new electro luminescent gauges are always "lit" so folks forget to turn on their headlights.

If it was it top of the line Fusion, he needs to use the automatic headlight switch like we do in the Explorer.
    A lot of cars have auto lights these days - I think many of them are switched off. Add that to lesser minds who think DRLs suffice at night, and the terminally clueless who just don't notice because of streetlights and they are too distracted by their phone/drink/passenger etc, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...new silver Cadillac XTS in front of Lowe's in Willow Grove, PA.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    After that, a lot of them go onto their next life as a taxi.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    new Fusion

You know what I just noticed?

Take a Fusion grille, flip it upside down, that's the Avalon's grille. Seriously, they're nearly identical, even down to the 5 chrome bars going across, the outer shape, everything.

It's interesting how a small tweak can make a vehicle look a lot better.

Avalon:

http://www.insideline.com/toyota/avalon/2013/2013-toyota-avalon-gets-price-cut.h- tml

Fusion:

http://www.insideline.com/ford/fusion/2013/2013-ford-fusion-se-first-drive.html
    edited December 2012
    I think the shape of the Fusion grille is nicer than the Avalon grille - more dynamic, rather than the Avalon shape that just kind of stares at you. But the real issue with the Avalon is that it has two grilles - the gigantic bizarre plankton-sucking lower grille, and the boring Toyota corporate face upper grille. It just looks weird, and frankly, wrong. A shame too, as the Avalon has usually been easy enough to look at, for its blandness. Like some others, the Avalon was the Toyota sedan I would most consider driving.

And speaking of wrong......looks like the Bavarians think one Crosstour isn't enough.

Oh, saw a new style Boxster last night, in a commercial parking garage. Alarm blaring, no owner in sight.
    The upper grille looks better on taller Toyotas (Auris, RAV4) then it does on this or the Camry.

What an awkward Bimmer. 5 GT failed to generate much interest so why persist?
    The corporate face isn't horrible per se - it would work better without the distraction of the lower big mouth bass look. I can't see what they were thinking.

Fun thing is we'll get that 3er GT, but no wagon. I don't know what it is supposed to compete with either.

Oh, new Allroad drove by. Plastic trim looks cheap, not rugged.
    Weird that they went A4 based this time. I guess the A6 avant plus all the plastic would have been too costly.
    edited December 2012
    Oh yeah. I bet a loaded A6 Allroad would shoot past 70K.

Of course, some other unremarkable cars (5er GT, E wagon, GS hybrid etc) can pass that too.
    Speaking of sticker shock, rsholland test drove a loaded up X1 35i priced over $47k.

:surprise:

At that point spend another 10 grand and get an X5d. The difference is less with incentives.

Options prices have gotten a little out of hand at BMW.
    Germans like that, ala carte options. I have seen you can load the new Cayman to about 110K. Insane. BMW and Porsche seem to be the worst offenders - MB and Audi package things more.

I remember seeing a new 3er in the showroom with a sticker of 58K. You can get a nice 5er for that.
    Too much overlap. Move up rather than buying loaded.

A friend shopped for a Boxster and it was atypical - he basically went around looking for one that did *not* have the overpriced packages he didn't want, and when he found one he bought it.

Haggling for the deal was a secondary priority.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    Spotted a new Scion FR-S outside a car stereo place. This car was metallic copper and looked a lot nicer than the black one I saw a few weeks ago. It seems larger than I thought it would be, around the size of my E46 BMW cabrio but quite a bit lower. I couldn't tell much about the inside which was black so I don't know if there's much room in back.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Appliance white, which is oddly a good color for this car if only due to the unexpected-ness.

Mitsu is really hurting - they've lost 20,311 sales YTD compared to last year, and their 28% drop for the year is also the worst. :sick:

Hope they make it if only to keep the EVO alive.
    Saw an ILX here in down town DC.

I think the ILX may have been what made them cheapen the Civic to begin with, to create separation between these two. This type of "glass ceiling" can really hurt the lesser brand.

Honda doesn't have to suck for Acura to seem better than it is. Plus now that the Civic is better, is the ILX "better" enough to justify the high price?
    ...dark gray Chevrolet Volt at the local Giant supermarket.
    Should have just dumped the amusing Canadian Acura Civic on us. Probably wouldn't sell any worse.

Does Acura have any really likeable car at all right now? I have seen the replacement RL that is coming too - whoa, bland.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    the RDX is nice!

and the ILX is actually pretty nice, and well separated from the Civic. Especially inside, which is the worst part of the Civic. My daughter liked it (one of her friends is also getting one for her first car.)

They also have good lease deals. If that continues though the summer, if my son can get a job out of school, might help him lease one to get started with.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited December 2012
    RDX is inoffensive I guess. It looks more upscale than the first model.

How much more does a comparably equipped ILX cost vs Civic, esp now that I have read the 13 model will have improved finishes? It's not a cheap car, loading it up makes it compete with basic models of legitimate entry lux competitors. And I won't even get into parents who buy what is likely a teenager something that expensive.

There probably will be nice leases - unless something exciting about the car is shown, sales might not be hot. Lease one with little down and something like $249/month, maybe not bad.
    Let's remember the public seems to love every car you hate. ;)

Acura is up 27% this year, well ahead of the market.

ILX is overpriced, plus a Civic Si is nicer now so why even bother? They sold a couple thousand.

TSX is nice, especially the wagon. Can't get a manual + wagon combination, though, bummer.

TL's new, smaller beak was apparently enough to boost sales, and the crossovers are doing well.

MDX is their best seller despite its age. After seeing an X1 35i for $47k you can understand why people flock to this. It's certainly a better driver than an RX.

RDX is a hit, sales up 129%. I think people like that big V6 and all the content at this price point.

RL is OK, I guess the one distinguishing feature is the 16 LED lights, though they might look better in a gatlin-gun style arrangement a la Infiniti Q45.
    Looking at the public, I will take that as a compliment :shades:

Acura is up via soft roader-estrogen mobile sales, no doubt. Anything in the lineup to make an enthusiast look? Not much.

Can't get the TSX wagon in a 4cyl at all, can you? When it's a diesel, get back to me. That wagon is probably the most appealing vehicle in the lineup to me.

RL is painful. Old/current one is a nice car with lots of tech, but just so bland and kind of outclassed engine-wise for the market position - and it virtually doesn't sell, faring worse than even the old GS at the end of its run. New one is invisibly styled save for the different-for-the-sake-of-being-different light eyes. I bet that won't right the ship.
    I drove the last gen TL-S, the AWD model, and those were nice. Haven't looked lately as I'm not in to sedans.

I think you can get a TSX wagon 4 banger. It would be a better package with a manual, but that's not what the public buys so I get why it's not offered.

Acura has a real identity crisis. Honda has always wanted to be perceived as green, but Toyota stole that away with the Prius (deservingly or not). Even Hyundai cheated to beat Honda's CAFE averages. They can't catch a break.

Any how, that green image keeps them from putting a V8 in their flagship, and that's what keeps Acura from being taken seriously as a luxury make. It's really just an upscale brand.

For even more damage, Honda has been limited to being "less than Acura", which is why we got a cheap Civic.

And so on.

NSX will help create a halo. The AWD RL had better be a home run. They can use electric AWD with torque vectoring to keep things interesting.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That link you posted over in the Lincoln Motor discussion mentioned that Acuras were noisy. I thought that issue was just with the Hondas. Guess some people think all their vehicles have too much cabin noise?
    The previous TL was a nice looking car too. New one - weird, and they can get expensive.

Hmm I was under the impression TSX wagon was V6 only, I see it isn't. The 4 actually has more appeal somehow, maybe out of fear of V6 transmission issues in older Honda models.

I think the RL will need to be more eye catching to make the segment take notice. The tech is nice, but if it doesn't look like a step up from a TL...hard sell. I wouldn't bank on that home run.

Like you say, Acura isn't seen as a make, because too often it isn't - too many models are fancy Hondas. I am not sure if the brand even exists outside of NA and China yet.
    Hmm, not me. I don't think I even follow that thread.

I have noticed Hondas have a bit more road noise, the last rental Accord was like that. The brand new one supposedly fixes that, dunno.

I think mostly it's because Honda/Acura are compared to Toyota/Lexus and the latter are the masters of NVH control.
    Poor Infiniti, though, they've invested more in unique platforms and done most of the right things, yet they do less volume than Acura.
    One behind the other, this AM.

Boy, the XTS looks loooo-ong. I like it, though.

What I noticed about the GS is how big the greenhouse is.

Nice to see windows making a comeback after a dark period of that "chopped" look.

You can actually see out of cars again now.
    No prob, sounds like something I could have said. :shades:
    Infiniti is also offered (I hesitate to say "sold") as a brand in more locations, which adds cred to me anyway.

Biggest issue with that brand to my eyes is styling, and I don't like the V6 exhaust drone.
    Drone isn't bad inside. Does sound raspy from the curb, though.

Let's keep in mind the M5 pipes in fake engine sounds, and this is common practice.

Even the Miata got it in 2009 (that and styling had me rushing to buy a 2008).

What have we come to when engine sound tracks are all lip-synched? :cry:
    A good fake sound or a bad real sound. Tough choice.
    Both bad choices. Please, don't even make me pick. :cry:

A 3rd bad choice - no sound (certain Lexus hybrids).

We need balance in this thread so every one please watch this Hennessey Venom GT video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=turV3v9RYeU

The drive-by at 0:23 might give you goose bumps.

I don't represent the public, either, especially since I consider my ND Miata "too refined". :D
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    New JGC SRT-8, what a great looking rig...
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Toyota iQ - very roller skate looking
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Parallel parked outside.

Then saw probably the first 500L I've seen in the flesh. Why didn't they just call it the 600?
    ...my first Dodge Dart in "the wild." This was a black one somebody at work bought.
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    Finally spotted a new Fusion this week. It was white and looked really sharp, front, back, sides, really a great looking car. Too bad about the recalls, though.
    I didn't get the memo, but apparently it's 5 series day, as I saw 3 new ones.
    Some end of year lease blowouts maybe - I've seen commercials for under $500
    I think BMW and M-B are battling to win the sales crown.

They really shouldn't give cars away like that. Luxury should be exclusive.

So many pretenders in my zip code live paycheck to paycheck and go for those cheap leases, it's sad. No wonder there were so many foreclosures.