Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Canada

Comments

• z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I can see two sides -

If the gray is really in short supply then I could see the $500 additional mark up - just like I would not see any problem with paying under invoice if I want a car that a dealer had 10 of that they can't sell - supply and demand cuts both ways.

But I wonder if the gray is really in short supply - did you tell the sales person you really wanted gray? Are they are just jacking up the price because they think they can get you to pay more for the color you want. That is what it sound like to me.

Since the gray cost them no more than any other color I would tell them to stick it where the sun does not shine - and find another dealer (Maybe Mazda maybe not)

When the sales person wants to know the color I want I normally say - I am not sure - that I would consider the black, white , gray/silver or blue - I normally also say I don't like green, brown/tan/beige or red - because I really don't like these colors - that narrows it down some - I have always ended up with the color I want - and have never had anyone try and charge extra.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    All you need to say is "I need winter floor mats" and not mention a particular car. The generic one I bought from CT use heavy plastic with deep grooves to absorb water. It is more expensive than the thin plastic but it does the job. Alternatively, you can buy a set of four cheapos with one good one for the driver. The point is to prevent soaking your carpets. Make sure to check them and your carpets regularly as winter salt leaves stains.
  • drivingladydrivinglady Member Posts: 5
    ...ok, not to sound dumb or anything, but I thought I had to get ones that would fit my car - aren't they different sizes for all cars to reflect different design/configuration etc.(ie SUVs vs. smaller cars)?

next on the list (for later)... winter tires.
    I thought I had to get ones that would fit my car - aren't they different sizes
    Yes and no. Yes, there are different sizes but no they are not for specific cars. Buy mats designed for cars not for trucks; in some cases the plastic mat can be "trimmed" around the edges using a razor knife. Actually, having an oversized plastic mat is good not only because it covers more of the carpet but being heavier it is less prone to move.

On the topic of winter tires, you may want to scoot over to canadiandriver.ca for some informative articles. That's where, for example, you'll find that for the winter it is better to buy a smaller rather than a larger tire.
  • meligatormeligator Member Posts: 8
    Knew I should've printed them out.....any chance there's a website out there that posts past lease rates? I wonder how they changed month-to-month last year. How much could it potentially go down from 6.4% 2-year lease for the 06 right now for instance.

Alternately. if you recall any lease numbers yourself, please do post. Thank you!
  • avenueroadavenueroad Member Posts: 10
    you'll find that for the winter it is better to buy a smaller rather than a larger tire.

autonomous, I respect your opinion but I think this "smaller tire is better for the winter" stuff is not completely justified. Whoever said that was probably talking about driving in a foot of fresh snow, which would float a fatter tire more than a skinny one (just like they use fat skis in the powder).

Since such conditions are rare, even in Canadian winters, and since most city drivers drive on plowed roads, I believe that larger contact patch is always better than a smaller one. Any arguments contra?
  • avenueroadavenueroad Member Posts: 10
    To answer my own questions:

- I put larger tires on, and there's this really tiny gap between the tire and the fender now. I'm afraid if the snow starts accumulating there, wheels won't turn at all.

Tires work OK in a straight line, but they do scrape against the wheel well when cornering sharply or hitting a bump or a curb, especially at speed.

I am VERY unhappy with Active Green+Ross dealer who assured this would not be a problem, and am bringing the car back to get proper size tires. Should have gone with my gut feeling.

Moral of the story: Always use manufacturer recommended tire size, or at least make sure total diameter (wheel + tire) is very close to original!
    I think this "smaller tire is better for the winter" stuff is not completely justified. Whoever said that was probably talking about driving in a foot of fresh snow, which would float a fatter tire more than a skinny one (just like they use fat skis in the powder). Since such conditions are rare, even in Canadian winters, and since most city drivers drive on plowed roads, I believe that larger contact patch is always better than a smaller one. Any arguments contra?

Well, the short answer is expert advice and experience.

As I mentioned earlier (post 514 above) it's been three winters of problem-free city driving (around Ottawa and to/from Montreal and Toronto) using the winter tires recommended by a tire franchise found across Canada (i.e. Frisby). Their expert advice was: use a tire with a narrow footprint and a tall sidewall. They explained that the wider the footprint the more of a chance of hydroplaning or getting stuck. I like to think of winter tires as skates with tall boots rather than snowboards. This advice was confirmed by the article in Canadian Driver that I had quoted:
    How can a narrower tire improve road grip? The rule of thumb from experts is that a narrower tire will cut through rain, snow and slush and bear down on the road better than a wider tire, which will tend to float up and over, losing grip in the process.

p.s. I also pay attention to Mother Nature
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    using 14" wheels with narrow SUV tires for a really tall sidewall. Keeps you high and dry. ;)

fowler3
  • iluvmymazda3gtiluvmymazda3gt Member Posts: 2
    Costco has a nice set (all 4) of Michelin Winter Mats for under $40, that fit decent.
  • iluvmymazda3gtiluvmymazda3gt Member Posts: 2
    The Ontario Mazda Dealer (I assume your in GTA) has a beauty set of Toyo GARIT HT's tires (205/55-16) and steel rims for $920 + tax. So this is around what you paid. Take them back to G+R ....
  • 3owner3owner Member Posts: 29
    I had my car serviced this week, just reached 48,000km. I have a 2004 Mazda3 GS. They told me I should replace the rear brake pads and machine the rotors as only 10% was left on the pad. Anyone find this very strange?? Rear brakes wearing out wayyy before the front! I know I've had a lot of brake dust on the rears for as long as I've had the car ... so it seems very fishy to have worn out, seems like a problem. $310 to do both rear brakes. Any comments or suggestions. Much appreciated.

I bought my Car mats at Walmart for about $40 for the front and rears. Really deep tread, they've worked perfectly over the years. Be very careful with cleaning the carpet once and awhile over the winter. The first year I left it til spring and it took forever to get the salt stains off, lots of vinegar and a sore arm from scrubbing.
    My Mazda3 has almost 18K miles & the rear pads are almost gone - my front pads look like they are good for another 40K miles. Since my rear brakes have the grinding noise (Mazda has a TSB on it) the dealer is replacing my rear pads on Tuesday - the tech did not think my rotors needed to be replaced - but I plan to ask them to look at them one more time just to make sure - if I can't get them to replace them under warranty - I may ask them how much the would charge to put new ones on - my guess is somewhere around $150-$175.
  • blackmazda3blackmazda3 Member Posts: 6
    I also had same problem with rear brakes. At 24507km the rear brakes were serviced for noise, at 31435km the rear brake shoes were replaced due to excessive wear. Both times repairs were done under warranty. After the rear pads were replaced, no more brake dust. The rear discs have grooves since the beginning. Dealer only turned the discs, would not replace.
    Mazda spec for the rear brake rotor thickness is a minimum of 9mm - I tried - as best I could - without taking my wheel off - to measure the thickness of the rear rotors. Mine is just at - maybe a hair over 9mm.

The part that concerns me is you can see where the rear brake pad has contacted the surface of the rotor - because it has worn a path into the rotor. Since the pad did not rub on the top edge of the rotor it has no wear. This has created a lip on the top edge of the rotor that is 1mm on the outside and 2mm on the inside. Is it normal for a rotor to wear this much in only 18K miles?

My front rotors show no signs of wear.

I did not realize my rear rotors were this worn - I guess all the grinding must have done some damage.

I plan to push very hard and see if I can get them to replace the rotors.

TWO strange things about the TSB on rear brake grind - first it does not require the rotor to be replaced or even turned. This is just NOT acceptable - only a fool would put new brake pads on and not turn the rotor - second there are two different rear brake pad part numbers

B3YP-26-48Y for the grinding noise TSB
    BPYK-26-48ZA for the problem with grooved rotors

Not sure why the same car would - depending on the situation - need two different brake pads.
    I've learned a lot from this board so I thought I'd post my experience. Dealing in Winnipeg, MB is tough (not enough competition). Even Carcostcanada take-it-or-leave-it program called and said there's not much they could do to help with this market! The latest I got from the dealership is $200 off invoice at most for a 2006. He even said "otherwise the other dealers would be upset"! So I'm going Saturday to pick up this car in Calgary - a two month old 2005 sport gt with 11,000k (Standard factory warranty till Sept 08). It's been checked out and legit and is exactly what I am looking for minus the colour. I am so excited!

2005 Sport GT hatch (white)
    auto, air, sunroof
    tint and hidden hitch
    $21,400 plus taxes.

A "year" old and a road trip sure, but happy to save $4000+ from a new 06 and so happy the hunt is OVER. Can't wait to get it!
    Whoops meant $200 of MSRP.
  • tr20tr20 Member Posts: 76
    what size for winter tires can i go with on a '05 Mazda 3 GT sedan (w/GFX 17")?
    My replacement pads are B3YP-26-48Z. I finally got around to installing my winter tires on my 2004 M3 Sport. Took off the summer tires and installed my winter P205/55R16 with steel rims. What a hassle getting off the summer tires, the front rims were seized on real good. Must remember to put some kind of anti seize on the hub centre.

Got a chance to measure the disc thickness, front 24.87mm (new is 25mm) rear 10.48mm (new is 11mm.) mileage is 45000km. This surprised me as the rears looked much more worn as you had stated. I guess one good measurement is worth a thousand opinions.
    For winter tires in Canada try tiretrends.com. Very good pricing and service. You can get all the info on sizing from them.
    I got a call from Mazda service yesterday - my rear rotors were not able to be turned - they would be too thin - so they are replacing them.

They were planning on using the same pad you had installed but now are going to use a different one BPYK-26-48ZA. No one knows why there are two different pads - I ask if they could go ahead and install the updated pad with the new rotors and they said - no - if the rotors get replaced they use the BPYK-26-48AZ - if they keep the existing rotors then the new pad (B3YP-26-48AZ) is used.

The only reason they could come up with is - this is what Mazda recommends.
    Is Mazda paying for the new pads/rotors? I never heard of the rears wearing out before the fronts.
    Mazda has several TSB's out on Mazda3 brakes problems - I had two of the problems - loud grinding noise from the rear brakes - plus grooves in the rotors - this TSB actually extends the warranty on rotors and pads out to 48 months or 50K miles. My understanding is the normal warranty does not cover brake pads or rotors because they are considered wear items.

Per my (crude) measurements the rear rotors when new were 12MM thick - the rotor was worn down to just a hair over 9mm - 1mm of the wear was on the outside (the side you can see) the inside was worn down 2mm. The outside rear pads were worn down pretty far - but the inside pads were just about gone - I would have soon been "metal on metal". My car has 18,000 miles.

At first they were going to replace the pads only - and turn the rotors - but since the rotors were so worn down they would have been too think to be safe.

This is the 4th time I have had my car in for brake issues - so I hope this finally ends my problem.

My understanding is all (most) Mazda3's have more wear on the rear brakes than they do on the front.

One important thing - even though I have had all kinds of brake problems the brakes have always worked great - they stop the car fast and straight.

Per my (crude) measurements the rear rotors when new were 12MM thick - the rotor was worn down to just a hair over 9mm - 1mm of the wear was on the outside (the side you can see) the inside was worn down 2mm. The outside rear pads were worn down pretty far - but the inside pads were just about gone - I would have soon been "metal on metal". My car has 18,000 miles.

How did you measure the thickness, Bill. Calipers? Ruler? 18,000 miles seems premature wear unless you're experiencing a lot of stop 'n go traffic. Do you do primarily city driving?

Mazda3's have more wear on the rear brakes than they do on the front.
    That's been my experience also. I had the brake pads of my Protege5 (predecessor of the Mazda3) inspected by my dealer this spring and he said at 51,000 km / 32,000 miles the front had worn 40% & rear had worn 50%. Currently, at 63,000 km / 39,000 miles, the brakes are holding up fine even in the wet; I have my fingers crossed that they will last one more winter.
    Since my micrometer would not fit over the rotor unless I took the wheel off and removed the rotor - I used a small caliper - the type that is used with lathe - then I used a ruler to measure the distance between the points. Crude for sure -

The good news is I got the car back late yesterday - took the first drive today and unless I turn the stereo off and listen very carefully I can't here any noise at all when I stop. Before - even with the stereo on I could hear a SSSSHHHHH noise at every stop sign. Sounded like I was dragging a concrete block behind the car. The first time someone would ride in the Mazda3 they would ask me - What is that funny noise?

For the first time in almost 22 months my car has no problems - no check engine light, no false seat belt warning light, no harsh shifts, no thumping suspension, no grinding brakes, no stalling engine, no rattle in the door, no popping sound when I roll the window up/down - everything is fixed! The temp in Houston Today is only 60 degrees so even my HVAC is working great.
    For the first time in almost 22 months my car has no problems

We're all breaking out in song : Oh Happy Day! Oh Happy Day! Finally you get your just reward, Bill, for all your perserverance!
    No doubt - perseverance - is one of the strongest - and weakest parts of my personality. I am some where between never quits and does not know when to quit!

I washed the Mazda3 today - also vacuumed the carpet, cleaned the dash & inside of the windows - its like having a new car!

I still expect the tranny to clunk when I first drive off in the morning - but its now as smooth as silk - it may take a few weeks for me to get use to it - but it sure is nice.

Not sure if you need to break in new brake pads - I assume you should take it a little easy for a 1-200 hundred miles - so I will - can't see how it could hurt to let the pads wear in slowly.

If I can go a whole month with no new problems I may just get some new tires and keep this car for another 2 years.

I am actually looking forward to my morning drive tomorrow.
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    Congrats Bill.

I ask if they could go ahead and install the updated pad with the new rotors and they said - no - if the rotors get replaced they use the BPYK-26-48AZ - if they keep the existing rotors then the new pad (B3YP-26-48AZ) is used.

I know the part numbers have been discussed in previous posts, but I assume that when they turn the OEM rotors, they put on OEM style pads. Is there a different rotor part number as well? They likely created a new rotor and pad for the brake dust issues so when the dealer installs new rotors, they use the new rotor part number, which requires the new style pads. The OEM parts are probably obsolete.

About the rears wearing out quicker, wasn't this caused by the tuning in the brake system to apply more pressure to the rear wheels to help shift the weight of the vehicle mid turn, creating a more balanced feel?
    I have read that when they use the "new" B3YP-26-48AZ pad that the brake dust problem is also solved. I washed my car yesterday and today the rear wheels are already getting a coating of dust - just like before. I can hope that once the pads break in the dust will slow down - but I do not think it will.

I ask if the pads and rotor they were using are a new design - and was told "no" it is the same exact parts that were originally installed on my car - but they will remove some coating off the surface of the rotor before they install them.

I ask if they could use the new pads on my car - they said no but if a problem develops then they could switch over to the new pad. Seemed strange - so I ask why not just go straight to the pad that you know is not a problem - was told that Mazda will not authorize it -

The good news is my brakes no longer make the loud grinding noise - I can live with a little break dust -

BTW - I did a search on Mazda brake pads - the BPYK-26-48AZ number comes up as the Mazda3 replacement part.
    I'm hoping to get a positive answer and laugh at my paranoia/ignorance but I am flying to calgary to pick up a private sale 2005 Mazda 3 sport gt but just realized something...the photos of the interior/seats of this car (white exterior) are described and seen as GREY. cloth I don't care about colour - but in every test drive and from what I saw on mazda.ca that all MAZDA 3 Sport gt interiors are BLACK cloth. I never drove the white one so I just assumed all this time that's the interior.

The VIN has been checked out thouroughly but I'm hoping someone can tell me yes, the interior does come in grey - I am not being scammed somehow!
    The interior colour that I see listed in last year's brochure for the Arctic White exterior is beige for the sedan and black/blue for the sport/hatchback. Perhaps Mazda changed the interior or perhaps the dealer reused an image from another vehicle in the advertisement.
  • ebart1ebart1 Member Posts: 12
    and looking ahead. Having owned 2 Mazda vehicles in the past---i.e. 1971 1800 Sedan, and 1986 323 LX and now considering the 2.3 Mazda 3 sedan---among others---My questions are as follows:
    1. Are the brakes still a problem?---because they were on both of my Mazdas.
    2. Have they substantially improved/reengineered the exhaust systems?---it was an embarrassment on my '86 due to inadequate damping of the exhause components on the underside. 3. Are the automatic transmissions reliable?---as I recall my '86 had a defective modulator valve early in life. 4. Is there any substantive quality in the interior trim and seats? I will gauge that against our '95 Honda Civic---outstanding trim quality!
    5. How do you rate the HNV (harshness, noise, vibration) of the vehicle?
    6. Are the parts costs now more in line with others in this class?---the rotors on my '86 were $80.00 a pop!
    7. Is there a 'recommended' dealer in the Ottawa area?
    Answers to any and all of the above will be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Thanks autonomous, it was silly mistake. His digital flash made the photos look light grey, when really it was black/blue. The car is perefect and the transaction was flawless - a really great private sale experience actually.
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Congratulations on the purchase...good to hear it worked out so well for you.

Happy motoring!
    Hello Ernst,

1. Are the brakes still a problem?
    Was the problem premature wear or something else? My Mazda Protege5 has had over 63K kilometres (40K miles) without any issues.

2 to 5: You may want to read the August 2004 issue of Consumer Reports for their review of the Mazda3 and other small sedans; the April 2005 annual auto issue has some more comparison and reliability information. In general, Mazda3 and its predecessor, the Protege5, rate very highly in almost all categories.

6. Are the parts costs now more in line with others in this class? Are you comparing this to other imports or compacts? Are you considering only OEM or also aftermarket parts.

7. Is there a 'recommended' dealer in the Ottawa area?
    My suggestion is to visit all three (four, if you include Argus Mazda in Gatineau) and practice your negotiation skills. I would also suggest asking about dealer and documentation fees. It is also a good chance to look at their garages to see the type of service you may expect. This way you'll also have fun test driving the car a few times.
    Anonymous---Thank you for your input. Re. the front brakes on my '86 323---they were 'scored' within the first few months of ownership---plus the calipers needed to be 'freed' every spring. The muffler needed replacing after 26 months on account a fracture at the junction of the muffler and the 'over-the-axle' pipe due to excessive vibration; no OEM available at the time, so they used a Midas part without my knowledge---and it cost me! The rotors' cost was OEM. Needless to say I was not pleased.
    Those issues aside---I am generally aware of the Consumers Reports ratings for the vehicle---and the fun-to-drive aspect as reported by various owners. However---reading the postings---it would appear to me that Air Conditioning and brakes (rear ones) are currently an issue under discussion and that Mazda Canada is not very approachable and tends to leave their dealers solving owners complaints/issues. My reason for the posting being that I am considering 'downsizing' from an Accord next Spring---as my spouse is not comfortable with its bulk---having driven the 323, Civic, and Jetta over the past 19 years---and now the '03 Accord. The new '06 Civic will be considered as well.
    My intention will be to test-drive various cars in that class---including the Imprezza, and possibly the new Jetta (another class---of course).
    Again, thanks for your feed-back.
  • iconixiconix Member Posts: 1
    Hello every one, I have enjoyed reading all your posts. Now Im 23/m and my mother has asked me to help her look into a car and one of them is the mazda3 06' GT. Because of a death in the family my mother has recieve 25 grand for a new car. SO ANYONE with this Mazda got any information on this car?? Pros/Cons?

She will be buying the car before Christmas and is willing to buy from toronto to Ottawa dealers. So If you gotten a great deal on this car let me know please.

She is a retired military personnel just in case there is some type of discount otherwise im a student and ill buy the car and then see it back to her if there is a student discount.

I glad to be on this forum everyone seems friendly and helpful. Thanks for any help or input given.

Steve(N)
    my mother has asked me to help her look into ... mazda3 06' GT

A few questions for you:
    What type of cars has she driven in the past?
    Does she have specific requirements? e.g. automatic; fuel efficient; large trunk ...
    What are three features she would love to have and what are three things she can't stand in cars generally?
    Will she be the sole driver?
  • wildthingwildthing Member Posts: 25
    I purchased my '05 Mazda 3 GT Sedan (GFX) back In late February. I only have 16k on the car and this is obviously the first full winter I will be driving the car. I currently live in Toronto but have years of driving experience in Montreal, so I know what winter driving is all about. I didn't get winter tires put on the Mazda. My last 4 cars that I've had since moving to Toronto, I have used only the all seasons that came with those cars and had no problem driving in the weather that passes for Winter, here in Toronto.

What I have experienced so far with my Mazda 3 is a completly different experience. On the few occasions that we have had any accumulation of snow here in Toronto, I have been terrified in driving my Mazda 3. The car has no grip on the road and it's like it has skates for tires. I have never experienced anything like this. With snow on the road and even accelerating slowly from a stop, the car pulls drastically to the right. Turning a corner, the car has no grip and has threatended to put me into the curb on numerous occasions. This car, that handles like a dream on dry and even rain soaked roads, scares the heck out of me driving it in the Winter.

My question is, will snow tires offer significant improvement or is the car simply too light and has too much torque to drive safely in the winter ??

Btw, I currently have the original Goodyear tires that came with the car.

:cry:
    My question is, will snow tires offer significant improvement ??
    Yes.

... or is the car simply too light and has too much torque to drive safely in the winter
    No. The Mazda3 is one of the most popular cars in Canada for the last couple of years, do you think all those Canadians stop driving them in the winter?

BFGoodrich, Bridgestone, Michelin, Toyos, Yokohamas all make excellent winter tires. When you buy your snows, I strongly suggest that you consider separate rims to make the transition each year easier. Expect to pay approximately C$700 to a C$1000 for the tires+rims.
    Has anyone purchased satellite radio in Canada and installed it in their Mazda 3 ?? I'm wondering what installation choices people are making..??..where to install the attenna ?...where to install the unit and how to connect it to power..??..I know you can plug these units into the cigarette lighter but it pains me to think I have to mess up my interior with wires running all over the dash for power and attenna ?? :confuse:
  • markb3markb3 Member Posts: 23
    I have found that my 2004 Mazda 3 isn't the best in the snow either! even though I have 4 Toyo GO2 plus snow tires installed. I've had many front wheel drive vehicles in my life and this car handles by far the worse in Winter conditions.

I don't think I can blame the Toyo's because we have the same tires installed on our Rear Drive Safari Van and it handles fantastic with these tires.

I would like to here from other Mazda 3 owners that live in Eastern Ontario or Montreal area and here what they have found with their Mazda 3s :confuse:
    I have found that my 2004 Mazda 3 isn't the best in the snow either! even though I have 4 Toyo GO2 plus snow tires installed.

Interesting. What size Toyos? What problems do you experience?
    For whatever it's worth, I bought my wife an '05 Mazda 3 Sport on Dec. 30 (Hey, we like these cars..:)and I immediately put Blizzak snow tires on her car. She travels on highways and after my own experience in the snow with my Mazda 3 sedan without snow tires, I knew she was going to need snow's

The snow tires make a huge difference. Her car feels totally in control. It's kind of late in the winter to get myself snow tires but next year I will definately get myself a set of rims and Blizzaks. :)
  • markb3markb3 Member Posts: 23
    My Toyo Tire size are 195/65R15 on steel rims. These are what replaces my summers on alloy rims.
    I just find I do not have the control and grip that one would expect from winter tires. Not sure I can blame the tires though because like I said in previous message we have these on our Rear drive Safari and are fantastic.

Also! I drive from Cornwall to Montreal frequently and see a lot of poor road conditions.

Do you use these tires? is that why your asking?
  • jv44jv44 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Wildthing,

I purchased an XM radio. I got the portable unit by Delphi. What I've found works great, is using the the clip that attaches to the vents. It gives you easy access to the unit. That means it's one small cord from the unit to the lighter. In regards to the antenna, you have to bite the bullet and take the the panels off the interior to hide the wires. I've put my antenna outside the passenger's window. Not sure if that helps or not.
    I was asking about the tire size because some people occasionally use weird combos but your setup seems fine. And Toyos are supposed to be one of the better brands; my brother swears by his on his Camry. My Bridgestone Winter Slaloms make all the difference in winter driving; I feel confident in my Protege5 to pass at 120 km in the wet / snow.

The Safari is a truck or truck-like isn't it? I guess the driving dynamics would be quite different than those for a light car, like the Mazda3, but in any case I would expect what ever vehicle I drive to be safe.

You may want to talk to a tech at the dealer the next time you're there to see if there's anything that they would recommend (e.g. tire pressure settings).

I drive to Montreal from Ottawa monthly so I know what you mean about poor road conditions.
    Since I posted my orginal question, I also went with XM and purchased a Roady XT. I didn't want wires running everywhere so I contacted my Mazda dealer. They recommended a car radio installation place here in Toronto. These guys were great...they replaced the lower section of my center dashboard (The area that held the passenger seatbelt light, cig. lighter recepticle and ashtray) with a fabricated matching plastic piece that held the Roady XT connector and the cig. lighter so I can still charge my cell phone. Nice, neat looking job....all the wires connected and hidden behind the console and the antenna run back through the trunk. The small XM antenna sits on the trunck and is not very obvious. The actual Roady is down and out of the way of "curious" outside eyes. The XM radio plays through an FM interface....I just tune my Mazda radio to channle 88.3 and the XM radio plays through that channel.....XM radio is great !!!
    My wife's car snows are Blizzak P20555R/16 on steel rims....they are great on snow....at least here in Toronto... :)