Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Canada

Comments

• wrusselwrussel Member Posts: 2
    Yes, the Mazda 3 comes with rear disks on the rear as opposed to drums as on most other run of the mill econo boxes. What seems to be unusual in its design is that unlike most other econo-cars, one must go easy on the parking brake use. While most rear drum brake pads ease up on the drum after the parking brake handle is released, it seems that on the Mazda 3, the disk brakes tend to hold their bite on the disks and this leads to premature pad and disk wear. Of course never using the parking brake handle will lead to another problem - too much slack in the braking system (the brake pedal will have too much travel). The best solution I found for people who have an automatic transmission like me is to simply pull the parking brake lever once every time you fill up for gas. At other times, leave the lever alone and your rear brakes will last a LOT longer. I guess one can also use the tiptronic transmission feature instead of the brakes in order to slow the car down, but I wonder about the harmfull effects on the transmission that this would have and I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
    Thanks and have a good day. :)
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    What seems to be unusual in its design is that unlike most other econo-cars, one must go easy on the parking brake use.

Interesting. This is the first time I have heard of this. Do you base this on experience or something else (e.g. information from the dealer)?
  • sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    Hi all, did some searching and found this link:
    http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_display.cfm?article_id=23151

There's quite a few enhancements to the 2007 model. If I read it right, the changes are:
    - Minor facelift (new front bumper) as well as std/opt equipment changes (trim levels remain the same):
    - ABS std on all trims
    - side airbags std on all trims
    - curtain airbags std on all trims
    - LED tails (GTs)
    - aux audio input jack
    - a 2nd 12V power outlet
    - heated cloth seats (std on GTs)
    - rear armrest w/cupholders
    - AC, cruise and Power pkg std on GS sedan
    - GFX pkg std on GT sedan
    - several new exterior colours
    - opt xenons
    - opt auto climate control
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    Good find. However, the article is US based and may not necessarily apply to us in Canada.

BTW, where did you see the info on auto climate control? The AC, cruise and Power pkg on GS sedan has always been standard, at least in my 2005 GS sedan.
    I found most of the info on that Ford media site. The info about xenons and auto-climate I found on another Mazda 3 forum. So yeah that info is certainly not as official as the Ford site. Maybe I'll drop by the dealer and see if they'd be willing to confirm anything.

Here's hoping Mazda Canada doesn't strip out features that will be available on the US models! I'd love to have the aux input jack on the stereo, and the side/curtain airbags would be nice too.
  • dhermandherman Member Posts: 1
    This is very interesting.My 2002 Protege5 has had two abs sensors replaced (one under warranty,one my cost).The rear rotors were machined and brake pads replaced to correct a brake squeel, calipers cleaned and slides lubed (my cost),front rotors replaced,new pads, calipers serviced,(my cost) and now the rears need servicing.
    Mazda Canada today refused any help. They cited the fact that I had the rotors replaced at another shop. It didn't matter that the brakes were a safety issue and needed attention asap.
    The real kicker here is that I have LESS than 32,000km on the vehicle. The customer service rep was defensive and refused all dialog except to say "we can't help".
    Given the history of brake problems I'm thinking I should follow your example and persist further.
    My 2002 Protege5 has had better luck than yours since its riding on its original brakes after 73,000 km. Your annual driving figure seems unusually low; does that mean you drive only seasonally or just infrequently? Having your brakes serviced by a non-Mazda shop may be interpreted by the company as non-expert work that impacts the warranty. That's one reason why I had all essential work during the warranty period done at the same dealer; they have all the work on file. In addition, the fact that you are now out of the 3 year warranty period may make it difficult to get restitution. But, we wish you the best.
  • david82david82 Member Posts: 3
    I just want to give you an update on my claim. They finally agreed to refund me for the grooved rotors. I didn't have to write a letter to Mazda Canada. I simply contacted them by phone and they in turn contacted the Service Mgr at the dealership.
    Just wondering what's people's feedback on this car? My friend is thinking of getting the 5 door 2.3L.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check it out here: Mazda6 Hatchback. ;)
  • yu203964yu203964 Member Posts: 35
    Dherman:
    I think it's difficult to claim relief from MC if there's no TSB, which actually extends the warranty period and MC actually admits there are defects on the parts. You can see from my experience, I had to fight hard to get the refund. But David82 is more lucky. He just called and got the refund.
    Well done.
    Is that right? I recall a few years ago a Ford dealership told me that a TSB only applies within warranty, while a recall will apply outside a warranty. For example, a wiper motor would be covered for 3 years, but if a TSB comes out and you don't have any problems until after your 3 year warranty expires, your're on your own.
    The TSB we were talking about extended the warranty to 48 months and 50,000 miles
  • wrusselwrussel Member Posts: 2
    Just my own personal experience. I use my parking brake very seldom now and the amount of brake dust on my aluminum wheels has decreased considerably.
    I think the use of the parking brake is "give and take". I find that if I don't use the parking brake, I will have a bit of roll after releasing the brake pedal (in my automatic).

I would rather pay to have new pads/rotors then a huge tranny bill.
    Well despite the bad news about the Mazdas at sea,

http://motorsports.autoblog.com/2006/07/27/cargo-ship-cougar-ace-tips-over-4-700- - - - - -mazdas-aboard/

I went out today looking for 2006 Mazda 3 Touring Editions to find them all gone. One of the dealers here in Edmonton, AB just received some 2007 hatchbacks...All had new wheels, darker blue colour than the '06s, xenon headlights, leather seats w/heat. They said they had some 2007 sedans en route and expected them in a few days....So at least some '07s are out there!
    Check the manufacturing/production date. Don't get any made prior to July/06. If you can get a new 07 within the next few weeks, you should be safe; otherwise, hold off for several months.
  • chrisboltchrisbolt Member Posts: 10
    Why?
    Because we don't know when these new 07's were manufactured exactly and you wouldn't want to buy a salvaged Mazda3, would you?
    Here in Edmonton, AB, at least one of the local Mazda dealers received some 2007 sedans in addition to the hatchbacks. They had a GS and a bright GT model. The blue is slightly darker than last year's "Winning Blue" mica...Still looks beautiful! I still prefer last year's wheels but the new ones are growing on me. Some other points:

1) Mp3/Aux in. I kept looking for the Aux in on the stereo itself, as that seems to be the most common location on other makes. The Aux-in is actually located in the bottom of the centre console box, beside the additional accessory power outlet. There's a pass-thru slot so you can place your mp3 player in the upper portion of the centre console. Nice arrangement to keep the player hidden. The dealer also talked about the iPod specific adapter. Sounds like that one will go in the empty portion of the stereo (where the optional cassette deck would go) and will have controls for the ipod from there.

2) The rear lights on the GX and GS models are the same as last year's GT models. Clear with amber turning signals. YAY! The GT model gets LED lights. The rear lights are slightly redesigned in shape as well; they stick out a little more like the rear lights on the Mazda 6--nowhere near as much as that one fortunately.

3) There's a recessed portion on the liftback for the trunk, so it's easier to lift it up.

4) Generally, just a nicer looking interior IMO. Yes, there's a rear-seat armrest.

5) The sunroof is now a standalone option on the GT. Yay! (I guess)

6) The fog lights are now rectangular instead of circular.

Here's hoping they'll have another touring edition a few months from now. :-)
    In the next few months, the 07's from the partially overturned freighter in Alaska should be making it's way to the dealers, after they have been reconditioned...
  • v_dv_d Member Posts: 89
    bad news...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    What happened to that freighter and the cars on it? Last I knew, it was still on its side in the ocean and the fate of the cars was unknown.
    they probably managed to turn the freighter around (they did it before) and "on it`s feet". If they did that, then I`m sure Mazda recalled all the cars for recondition due to the fact that is cheaper to recon. than to build new cars (5000 of them). Some of the cars were supposed to get to dealers in the Mid-west and Gulf regions. That doesn`t mean the salvaged autos will do the same though.

Regards.

VD
    The status of the ship itself is here:

http://www.dec.state.ak.us/spar/perp/response/sum_fy07/060728201/060728201_index- .htm

If they are reconditioned, I wonder if they'd have to be advertised as such....Mazda 3 Alaska Edition with bonus flippers and goggles! :-)
    You'd think it could be a potential legal mindfield if they weren't. And would the manufacture date be changed? If not, you could avoid any '07 models built summer 2006 if you're concerned.
    where did I heard about the 3 Alaska Edition?
    Though they made it look like something "special" ;), and well... it is.
  • chrisboltchrisbolt Member Posts: 10
    http://tinyurl.com/q86fs

"The Cougar Ace's cargo of 4,700 Mazda vehicles will likely be unsalvageable, as CargoLaw.com is reporting "most decks suffered vehicle damage and all vehicles must be re-secured"."
    ...has now been updated to show the 2007 Mazda 3 specs, etc.

www.mazda.ca
    http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_display.cfm?article_id=24253&make_id=227

NO MAZDA VEHICLES ON CAR-CARRYING VESSEL COUGAR ACE WILL BE SOLD AS NEW

Irvine, California - Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) has announced that Mazda vehicles aboard the Cougar Ace ship, which ran into trouble on July 23, 2006 off the Alaskan coast and listed over 60 degrees, will not be sold as new vehicles.

"While we do not, at this time, know the full extent of the damage to vehicles on board, none of the Mazdas will be sold as new," said Jim O'Sullivan, president and CEO of MNAO. "It is possible that those vehicles which are undamaged or repairable will be made available for sale as used cars through Mazda's dealer network in the U.S. and Canada. We will only be in a position to decide on any used car sales once the vessel has been unloaded and each unit comprehensively inspected. Those beyond repair will be immediately scrapped."

The company says that in the interest of transparency and customer peace of mind, it will post the vehicle identification numbers (VINs) of vehicles destined for sale on its consumer Web sites, at www.mazda.ca and www.MazdaUSA.com, to avoid any confusion as to which vehicles were on the ship. Slightly more than half the cars involved are Mazda3s, and about one-quarter are CX-7s. The vehicles were headed to the ports of Vancouver, and to Tacoma and Hueneme in the U.S.

The Cougar Ace sailed from Japan to North America with just over 4,700 Mazda vehicles aboard; an issue during a routine ballast-water change caused her to list. All 23 crew members were rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard.
  • markb3markb3 Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone had problems with there automatic transmission on Mazda3s (2004)?
    Mine has started to shift hard between 1 & 2 gear and I called the dealer today to set up a apointment and they mentioned "Shift Shock".
    The dealer has to reflash (reprogram) the computer of the car. The shock should disappear. I had mine done few months ago.
    "Thanks"......So everything is fine with your shifting now?
    yes, it's very smooth now from 1st to 2nd gear.
    Took mine into the dealer today and they said they have had code problems with Shift Shock on Mazda6s but none on the 3s.
    They said that they will contact Mazda Canada to see if theirs a TSB on this and they will get back to me! Was told I will need to bring the car in for a overnight visit so it can be set up on computer in the morning when cold.

Do you have a TSB on Shift Shock so I can show them this and for them to know I'm doing my "Homework"?
    Thanks.
    Your dealer must be living under the rock for a long time. A lot of people have done this before. It's z71bill in this forum told me about this reflash in Dec/05.

I don't have the TSB. The following is the work order regarding the reflash I done on Dec. 7/05:

Cust report shift shock from 1 to 2 gear
    Cause: 9W
    F0010XFX Reflash PCM
    643 WP 0.30
    FC: 6X Part #: Count:
    Tech identified new calibration update avail. performed PCM reflash.

You can show this to your dealer. I did not leave my car overnight to do this. I could get back the car within the same morning.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    So..what's the verdict on these 2 issues? Are they limited to pre-'06 Mz3? It appears there is at least a fix for the shift shock. How about the A/C? Has that been cured for '06+? There are some pretty attractive lease deals out there, especially for the Sport, but I won't live with weak A/C (been there, done that with a '90 Civic, and a '97 CR-V).
    How about the A/C? ... I won't live with weak A/C

Wouldn't a test drive answer this question? Ask here and you'll likely hear a variety of responses; only you know whether it meets your criteria. Have fun test driving! :D
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Testing the A/C this time of year might not answer your question. The test should be done on a very hot sunny day, hi humidity, in stop and go traffic. Make sure the cabin is sun soaked, turn the A/C on and see how long it takes to cool the interior. Check the A/C issue on this forum...
    As nifty pointed out, it's not always easy or convenient to line up a long enough test drive under just the ideal conditions to test the A/C. So, again I ask, is there anecdotal, or documented, information that Mazda has rectified the A/C issue in post-'06 Mz3?
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    As someone has already mentioned some say their A/C in their 06 is good and some say it is weak. Some with the auto A/C works better than the cars with mannual and the other way around. It's a tough call..I have a 05 and the A/C is weak, highway driving it's great, in stop and go it truely sucks. Someone mentioned that the A/C part numbers are the same from 04 to 06 so maybe nothing has changed. You may want to confirm this through your local Mazda parts department..
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • lucoluco Member Posts: 4
    I just signed the lease for a 2007 GS auto base option in a Montreal dealership:

MSRP: 19,995
    Auto: 1,000
    Freight: 1,225
    Extra color: 105

Total: 22,325

Discount: -925
    Grad discount: -500 (tax incl)

Free option: nothing. :(

5.9% for 48 months lease with 0% down for $327/m (tax incl).

I have to pay the air tax, tire tax, processing fee = $180, and the first month payment 327 on the delivery day.

I am completely new to car leasing, so here are my questions:

1) The buyback value of the car is 10,995 for the 25K km limit per year. Do I have to pay tax on it if I want to keep the car after 4 years? (yea I know, a dumb question)

2) I drive 50KM (round) to work everyday, do I need the extra 5K per year for $10/m?

3) Do I need the extended warranty for $10/m, or the wear-care for $18/m?

4) The dealer didn't agree to guarantee the mileage <50 km on the delivery. Is it reasonable?

The last question, is it a good deal?

Thanks.
    1) I was looking at the Mazda3 lease deals in Vancouver. I was looking at a 36K km lease, with low annual km option. The residual was around 61%, which is pretty good. Your residual for a higher annual km, 48-month lease is still around 50%, so that's pretty darn good.

Yes, if you buy the car after the lease, you pay sales tax and GST on the buyout price.

2) You already have a 25K km lease. Your work mileage is around 14K km. How much do you drive for pleasure. Only you would know whether you need to buy extra km allowance.

3) No and No. I wouldn't anyway.

4) If the mileage is less than 50km upon delivery, then I wouldn't fret too much. If it is more, don't take delivery. So check it before signing on the dotted line. (Where is he getting the car from? Another dealer?)

Overall, I think it's a decent lease deal. The lease rate could be lower, but....it is what it is!

BTW, which model are you looking at? The sedan or the hatch? I think the hatch has better lease deals. Also, I think their shorter term leases offer lower lease rates. Check it out on their website.
    I agree with your points. It seems like a decent deal.

I prefer purchasing rather than leasing. Mazda Canada has had some very interesting purchase financing options, like 0% for 24 months. I bought my Protege5 at 1.9% for 36 months; the cost of borrowing (COB) was under $500. In effect, the interest paid is part of the final price of the car and so it's worthwhile getting the lowest rate possible.
    I agree purchasing makes more financial sense. However, I'm looking for a car for my daughter and son to share. And being new drivers, I'm fairly confident they would get into a couple of accidents, which would kill resale value if we were to buy. :cry:
  • lucoluco Member Posts: 4
    It is a 4dr sedan.

Yes, I agree that financing makes more money sense. However, this will be my first long term owned car and I guess I might get some scratches or dents... and I have been a bit unsure of the quality of Mazda, being told by some friends of sad stories of Mazda owners.

I have a question about the payment. The total payment should be:

Price: 21,400- 438(500 grad discount)= 20,962

buy back value: 10,955

so the lease cost should be (20,962-10,955)= 10,007

Should the lease payment be 10,007*1.15/ 48 and factored the 5.9% in. I know it's more complicated than this due to the interest and monthly payment. However, should it be like that?

The final price for the car if I use the buyout later:

327*48=15,696
    10,955*1.15=12,598
    sum: 28,294

If I buy now: 24,106. It's 4,000 difference...
    Yeah, I think, basically, that's how it works.
  • charlie21charlie21 Member Posts: 4
    Why are you getting a Mazda if you are "a bit unsure of the quality of Mazda"? That's a lot of money to throw at something you don't have much confidence in.
    I think that's why he's leasing, not buying.