Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Canada

191011121315»

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Mazda has some nice sensible models (esp the 3, 5, & 6) for the everyday Joe, and their pricing would be more budget-friendly in today's economy, although the prices for the 2009 3 & 5, when optioned-up, are creeping close to the $30K CDN mark!

As an aside, I recently had the 5 on a rental for a few days. That's a really nice all-purpose family vehicle. If only it had a few more horses, and AWD, it would probably sell like hotcakes in Canada.

And I'm not at all surprised Hyundai is doing well. Honda and Toyota should be at the other end of the spectrum, given their current line-ups of aethetically-challenged snooze-mobiles.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    the prices for the 2009 3 & 5, when optioned-up, are creeping close to the $30K CDN
    Indeed.
    It is a source of wonder to me to see how far the range of prices on a car, like the Mazda3, can get. One can see an ad for a Mazda3 sedan listed at C$14,995 but when it comes to actually getting the vehicle, that figure could easily double. Now there are all sorts of taxes and fees that get into the picture, but it can be a bit of a shock. The other shock, of course, is what happens when the vehicle sits around a little while and depreciation kicks in. The average car loses over 60% of its value in 48 months; much of that depreciation happens within the first year.

Jeremy Cato wrote an excellent article on "Vehicle Pricing" in the May 7, 2009 issue of the Globe and Mail.
  • spudislanderspudislander Member Posts: 8
    I have noticed that upon first startup for the day, my Mazda will rev at 2000 rpms for a while. This morning, with the outside temperature at -9C (15.8F) I felt that idling at 2000 rpms seemed a bit excessive. Does anybody know if that is reason for concern or is it normal?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Sounds pretty normal to me, errr, unless the RPMs don't drop back to normal within a few seconds.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    For comparison purposes, how much of a saving is there, if any, in buying a Mazda3 in the USA? Not that I would want to do that sort of thing, especially since Mazda3s seem to be plagued with premature rust issues.
    how much of a saving is there, if any, in buying a Mazda3 in the USA?

I suspect that you mean buying in the USA and driving it in Canada. My understanding is that it is not worth all the effort and cost to do this unless you buy a pricier model (e.g. Mazdaspeed3). To avoid the headaches involved, some buyers seek the services of professional brokers who know the ropes (e.g. difference between US and Canadian safety and emissions regulations). Plus, dealerships tend not to frown upon servicing cars that have been imported as that cuts into their business.

My suggestion is to write to Mazda Canada and ask them to explain why prices are higher than US prices when the exchange rate is near par. Some difference in price may be understandable but 20+% differentials for virtually identical vehicles is difficult to fathom. By comparison, look at the Mazdaspeed3 in Canada and the US and try to figure out why this car, which is built in Japan, is 30+% more expensive in Canada.

Finally, remember to factor in finance rates; these tend to be very good in Canada on some models like the Mazda3 (e.g. 0% for 48 months).
    Oops. The previous posting should have read:

Plus, Canadian dealerships tend to frown upon servicing cars that have been imported from US dealerships as that cuts into their business.
    I hear that even with the brokerage fees it's *may* still cheaper with an exchange rate surchage of 10% ($1 CDN=$.90 USD). But are there hassles? There shouldnt be if the broker does what hes suppose. While financing can be very attractive in Canada, you have to look at the overall cost including financing. Sometimes, you may get lucky and have the dealer cover the financing, but that's rare. You usually have to finance it in Canada or pay cash (can you say drug dealer?) lol.

As long as the vehicle warranty is transferrable into Canada, no dealership is going to frown upon a vehicle coming from the US. This happens all the time. If anything, they won't cover the item under warranty and you have to pay out of pocket. Again, the dealership wins because the manufacturer (Mazda Canada) will pay the dealer to do the warranty work.

I know a few people who brought their cars from the USA. Unfortunately, they're not in my league because it's BMW's or other high priced vehicle.
    I know a few people who brought their cars from the USA. Unfortunately, they're not in my league because it's BMW's or other high priced vehicle.

Agreed. That was my point exactly: buying a vehicle across the border is cumbersome and therefore the incentive has to be more than saving a few dollars. Typically, luxury or specialty cars seem candidates for this type of activity. A tricked-out Mazda Miata or a Mazdaspeed3 may be worth the aggravation; a Mazda3 hardly seems worth it.
    Looks like there is a bulletin on this but not all Mazda3s are covered. For example, if you have a 2004 or 2005 you're SOL. If you have a 2005 and you're warranty expires this year, you too could be SOL.
  • zoom123zoom123 Member Posts: 1
    You make reference to a bulletin, Where would that be?
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    I simply can't believe the number of severely rusted Mazdas I have seen in the last 3+ years. A friend's cancer broke out only after 4 years of ownership of her 02 or 03 Protege 5, but I see it on all Proteges.

So my question is: (assuming Mazda has surely addressed this issue by now??)

What year was this finally addressed? Did they do it with a thicker coat of hot galvanizing? Or maybe they foolishly weren't using hot galvanizing?
    edited October 2011
    The Canadian prices for the 2012 Mazda3 are on the Mazda Canada site.

The models include the GS Sky Activ, which promises great fuel economy. If anyone has test driven this model let us know what you think.

Vehicle pricing seems reasonable compared to last year. However, financing is no longer 0% but 2.9%. Financing for long periods (e.g. 60, 72, 84 months) could substantially add to the overall price of the vehicle. Based on past experience this will not last long, especially with all the competition out there in the small car/compact market from the usual suspects (Honda, Toyota, GM) and some great new upstarts (Hyundai, Kia).
  • speed07speed07 Member Posts: 1
    Ihave a 2006 model but bought it in 2005 of november . They duped me at mazda made me wait for a year and then some for rust corrosion issues sent the pictures off and waited then they come back saying no its over the 6 years cut off. Bunch of asses. Now I have to repair the rust myself. Anyone know a good person at mazda headquarters in ontario to compain to that will do something for me? I got a hold of the customer relations rep but they did squat. So dissapointed in mazda.
    edited August 2012
    "mazda made me wait for a year and then some for rust corrosion issues sent the pictures off and waited then they come back saying no its over the 6 years cut off "

6 years? The Mazda Canada site states "2012 and older model years include a 60 Months / Unlimited Kilometers Perforation Warranty." If it is 60 months (i.e. 5 years) then your cut off would be October 2010. Did you notify them in writing before then?

Good luck!