Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - V

Comments

• dineshjdineshj Posts: 1
    I would like to get advice on whether to buy a
    1995 model toyota tercel.
    It is a 2D STD SEDAN.
    No power options, no a/c, and leather interior. 4
    speed auto trans.
    The odometer shows 78000+ and the car is in mint
    condition.
    Brakes have been replaced a year back and 2 tires
    have been replaced 8 months back.
    The owner maintains oil change history for past 1
    year (had changed oil thrice in a year) and the
    latest was 3 weeks back.
    He is quoting a price of $3800.
    Sorry for the cross posting.
    ;-)))
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Posts: 283
    I think the reason it was ok was that it was handled nicely by toyota. Again at least Toyota did not say "Sorry, but we cant help you" like Ford.
  • cthompson21cthompson21 Posts: 1,102
    Once again your immaturity and ignorance rise to the top. You usually resort to name-calling as I have once again proved you wrong.

For the record, all of those 1990 p/u's I mentioned would be more reliable than that 1990 Toyota p/u. Around half of the 3.0's manufactured that year had the fatal flaw of a weak head gasket. I think a malfunction that results in the vehicle not running anymore with costly repairs (especially if it cracks the heads or ruins other engine internals) would be a little bit more serious than the minor things like switches that you love to nitpick. And, none of them would be rusted apart.

Hey, does your rpm still jump to 3000 when you engage your 4wd? Did you ever figure out the chemical composition of that special steel you say Toyota uses? Hey, why don't you post your favorite little article? Ya know, it's the one that you base your entire knowledge of trucks on.
  • mickeyg1mickeyg1 Posts: 6
    Never said blowing a head gasket was no big deal. Then again you don't know how I drive. I agree with you, it never should happen on ANY vehicle. My point was to summarize my personal experiences owning a Toyota I ended up keeping 10 years and driving 245,000 miles. I'll gladly match my 1996 Tacoma to your S10 in any category you wish to discuss. The S10 barely came up to 190HP, recently back in Jan of 96 when I bought my Tacoma, they were at 170hp(I considered buying one)as my first car was a 75 camaro which I had in high school and it ran great. You can't tell me the S10 has the same reliability as a Toyota because it's not true. You may have had a great ownership experience with yours but statistics reflect overall numbers not just one owner. I have 81,000 on my 1996, and it runs GREAT. And yes I did receive a factory recall notice for the headgasket which the dealer/manufacturer took care of. Are you saying chevy never had any recalls??!? I remember reading about an ABS problem not too long ago. By the way, the sticker on a fully loaded S10 isn't too much different than a Tacoma(did you go to the auto show this year). And for those who mentioned a rust problem. I never had one. A lot of manufactures improved undercoating due to rust problems with all vehicles, especially back east where salt is poured on highways to assist with snow problems.
    I'm glad you had your S10 for 300,000 and stayed loyal and bought another. That's the same way I feel about my Toyota. I don't Knock other brands or LOL at S10 or Ranger owners. Their purchase decisions are their business. I know that Toyota Trucks in general receive more accolades from automotive mags and JD Powers than any of the domestics. My purchase decision was based on quality, reliability, performance, towing capacity, cargo capacity, fit finish,quality of workmanship etc... I don't mind paying a premium when I feel there is added value. The Ford Ranger argument that there are more Rangers is ludicrous as that is the most inexpensive truck on the road. Just as quality sells on its on merit, so does a low price.
  • wsnoblewsnoble Posts: 241
    So nobody wants to address that ford has headgasket problems as well, NOT SURPRISED!

Seems folks keep waving the rust thing around as well. That's a 10 year ago argument. Have anything new?

Looks Like JUVENILE_8 still knows how to use the post button

You Ranger guys kill me. All you can come up with is the crashtest info. An important issue, but that's it?

Also we'll talk when there is more than one "My TRD Caught Fire" websites. There are more than one "My ford caught fire" sites...

My .02
    -wsn
  • No manufacturer can build a perfect vehicle, I'm sure Chevys had recalls. Sorry to put you in with the group that thinks the japanese can do no wrong, but there are people like that out there. I have no idea what a toyota costs but I thought it would've been cheaper than the American trucks. The comparisons between our trucks might be unfair, mine being a 99 and yours a 96, but if you want to compare em go ahead. And yes I went to the auto show in Chicago.
  • trenttrent Posts: 86
    You ever go to the Leaf or Black mtn festival? I haven't been to the Merle fest for a few years due to other dates. They usually have some great music there and a lot of other places in NC and Virginia in the spring. I guess you listen to wncw in Charlotte or should I say Spindale.
  • spoogspoog Posts: 1,224
    Cthomp.....lol!!!!

When it rains it pours......Here come the 90 NHSTA recalls, defects and TSB's for the trucks you mentioned verse the Toyota.....dum da dee dum................
  • As having more experience than any person on this townhall I can tell you that where Ranger and Tacoma are concerned the Ranger is far more fun to drive. The torque is abundant and the 5 speed auto and smooth ride outweigh the Toyota's very small edge in reliabilty. Both have a known recall history with Toyota's almost a silent Unknown mystery. My Authority on the matter comes from the fact I run a Toyota Dealership with a sister store next to it that so happens to be a Ford dealership which I also worked for at one time. Toyota rules the market in cars but where compact trucks are concerned Ford has the edge.A very large example of this is Toyota's role back of Tacoma pricing for 2000 and any Consumers Reports dating back to the into of Tacoma.
    I believe that Rangers had problems with head gaskets sometime back in '93-94 when the 4.0 was first available in the Ranger. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know if they were an issue in the Explorer in the early '90s. But, it's likely as the ranger and explorer shared essentially the same drivetrain.
    "Just for the record, I'd take a 1990 4.3 S10, 2.9
    Ranger, Mazda B-series, or Nissan p/u ANY day of
    the week over that only 10-year-old, rusted out
    body, head gasket blowing Toyota compact p/u to
    which you referred to earlier as the culmination of
    reliability."

Cthomp, I have in hand the data for these vehicles you have selected over the 90' Toyota.
    Here is the official list of stats from the NHSTA site:

90 Chevy s-10:
    2 safety recalls
    4 defect investigations(one of them being engine compartment fires)
    88 Technical Service Bulletin Recalls

------------------------

90 Mazda b series pickup:

0 recalls
    4 Technical Service Bulletin Recalls
    0 Defect Investigations

-------------------------

90 Nissan pickup:

1 safety recall
    1 Technical Service Bulletin Recall
    0 Defect investigations

-----------------------

90 Ford Ranger:

4 safety recalls
    339 ( yes, I said 339) Technical Service repair bulletins
    2 Defect Investigations(wheel seperation/torque loss)

----------------------

90 toyota pickup:

0 safety recalls
    7 Technical service bulletin recalls
    0 Defect Investigations
    ----------------------

Well Cthomp, had you stuck with the Mazda and Nissan for your choices, you may have built a strong case, as these are close choices with the Toyota. By adding the Ranger and the s-10, you sunk your argument down to the deepest possible pit.

See....this is what it's like dealing in facts. And you know what? Facts are good.

Remember that ole "foot in mouth" comment?

" A poet everybody! The lad reckons himslef a poet!"

Enjoy.
    (1) The first recall is for the 2.5L S10 (w/o A/C). I said that I'd take a 4.3L S10, and I'd never buy a vehicle w/o A/C (again)! You roast like a duck in the summer.

(2) That second one is great! It's for postal vehicles only! I guess I shouldn't work for the post office and drive an S10! BTW, that would also be for the 2.5L S10.

Got any more postings that will gimme a chuckle like those???
    So, am I actually reading this right??? The number of recalls (both safety and technical) were:

Toyota 7

Ranger 4

Mazda 4

Nissan 2

S10 2

Do the math for yourself. Last time I checked 7 was greater than 4 or 2. For TSB's, we've got the manufacturer telling the dealer how to fix a problem with the truck rather than a mechanic spending hours doing analysis. That sounds good to me!
    "Just for the record, I'd take a 1990 4.3 S10, 2.9
    Ranger, Mazda B-series, or Nissan p/u ANY day of
    the week over that only 10-year-old, rusted out
    body, head gasket blowing Toyota compact p/u to
    which you referred to earlier as the culmination of
    reliability."

Cthomp, I have in hand the data for these vehicles you have selected over the 90' Toyota.
    Here is the official list of stats from the NHSTA site:

90 Chevy s-10:
    2 safety recalls
    4 defect investigations(one of them being engine compartment fires)
    88 Technical Service Bulletin Recalls

------------------------

90 Mazda b series pickup:

0 recalls
    4 Technical Service Bulletin Recalls
    0 Defect Investigations

-------------------------

90 Nissan pickup:

1 safety recall
    1 Technical Service Bulletin Recall
    0 Defect investigations

-----------------------

90 Ford Ranger:

4 safety recalls
    339 ( yes, I said 339) Technical Service repair bulletins
    2 Defect Investigations(wheel seperation/torque loss)

----------------------

90 toyota pickup:

0 safety recalls
    0 Defect Investigations
    ----------------------

Well Cthomp, had you stuck with the Mazda and Nissan for your choices, you may have built a strong case, as these are close choices with the Toyota. By adding the Ranger and the s-10, you sunk your argument down to the deepest possible pit.

See....this is what it's like dealing in facts. And you know what? Facts are good.

Remember that ole "foot in mouth" comment?

" A poet everybody! The lad reckons himslef a poet!"

Enjoy.
    For total defect and safety recalls it is:

Ranger- 6

Chevy - 6

Toyota - 0

Nissan - 2

Mazda- 0

The toyota has 7 TSB's, compared to the Rangers 339, the Chevies 88.

Also please remember that TSB's arent just "information". They are information to known problems with then inherent design of the vehicle.
    Its not that hard.

90 Ranger-

4 safety recalls
    2 defect investigations
    339 TSB's

-----------

90 Toyota-

0 safety recalls
    0 defect investigations
    7 TSb's

-----------

90 Mazda-

o safety recalls
    0 defect investigations
    4 TSB's

-----------

90 Nissan-

1 safety recall
    1 defect investigation
    1 TSB

-----------

90 Chevy-

2 safety recalls
    4 defect investigations
    88 TSB's

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    Frankly Ct, I tired of responding to your goofy replys and your taking me out of context. I never said that between any two cars, turning a single corner would determine which handles the best. Read deeper my friend, make me proud and pulse that brain God gave you a bit more. I did say that a car that can turn a 90 degree corner at high speed with complete control is a better handling car than one that can't. Those two statements mean different things. When cars that are fairly evenly matched are compared, as in the C&D article, then different cars may excel in different cornering conditions. The real point is that the cars were closely matched, meaning all we exceptional handling or "cornering" cars to begin with (I tried to clarify my statement for deep thinkers like you). When you compare a Ford Contour or a Pinto to a 300ZX or a Porsche then turning one corner at high speed will easily determine which car handles better. The Contour and the Pinto will probably be upside down or smashed into the curb while the Porsche drives away without breaking a sweat. You're either too stubborn to read the article and my comments any deeper than on a superficial level or you simply don't have the ability to comprehend what the word "handling" means. I'm not sure which it is but I'm bored with the topic so this is my last response on the subject. Rather than create your own broad definition to the word, take the time to learn what it really means. It's tough for me to debate someone on an English word's meaning that hasn't mastered the language. Forgive me for being blunt, and I'm sure that you'll respond with the best you intellect can produce, but I'm wasting my time if you refuse to exercise your brain a bit.
    ----------------------

90 toyota pickup:

0 safety recalls
    0 Defect Investigations
    ----------------------

That looks like the word recall to me.
    If you say handling and mean cornering, why don't you just say cornering?

Not splitting hairs with you anymore.

I'd seriously consider changing your handle.
    What about the recall on the 3.0 head gasket for the 1990 Toyota compact? Shouldn't that be in your tally? Is it listed under the technical service bulletin recall?
    I guess you feel that I'm being too hard on Chevy Trucks. I personally like the Chevy body design better than other brands and, to be honest, I used to be a chevy only guy until the mid-80's. I watched their quality go down from the late 70's to a ridiculous level. Their V8's are good old designs and you'll probably have less trouble with that then the rest of the vehicle. Chevy is credited with outrageous things like in the late 80's, rather than changing the worn Camaro body tooling at the proper periods, filling gaps with epoxy. Eventually the cars started to sqeak etc. because the parts didn't fit right. GM took the saving money approach rather than the quality approach and that's is evident. Ford , on the other hand, turned themselves around and improved their quality. Until I bought a Nissan, then a Ford, and now a Toyota, I didn't realize that you could buy a vehicle that has no problems new and continues with no problems for most of the life of vehicle. I've never met a Chevy owner that can say the same. If you are one, I consider you a lucky man. That is, of course, unless they have begun to improve their quality recently.
    Excuse me, but the line should be "cornering ability". The spell check failed me.
    The results of the Gibby cat-back are gonna have to wait a little bit. The weather turned sour here in greater Chicagoland. Can you believe snow??? Maybe things will look better in the next week or so. I should have pleanty of free time now that tax season is coming to a close.

Later,
    -C
    you STILL dont get it. Are you SURE English is your first language?

Here ya go Cthomp. YOu show some nice gusto, even when you are down for the count:

Its not that hard.

90 Ranger-

4 safety recalls
    2 defect investigations
    339 TSB's

-----------

90 Toyota-

0 safety recalls
    0 defect investigations
    7 TSb's

-----------

90 Mazda-

o safety recalls
    0 defect investigations
    4 TSB's

-----------

90 Nissan-

1 safety recall
    1 defect investigation
    1 TSB

-----------

90 Chevy-

2 safety recalls
    4 defect investigations
    88 TSB's

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems
  • Snow! I cant believe it either but its supposed to snow tonight. Gibson has a system for my truck also so I'm curious about the quality of their system.
  • I know nothing about the build of the late 80's camaros. Yes you can buy buy a vehicle that has no problems new and continues with no problems for most of the life of vehicle. I wonder what you drove before but thats another story. If your gonna buy new it better last a while.
    This is taken directly from your original posting. You've since modified it to show something else.

----------------------

90 toyota pickup:

0 safety recalls
    0 Defect Investigations
    ----------------------

Are you saying that it has 0 recalls? I'm not prone to believe that especially with the common knowledge of the head gasket recall. Please clarify.
    Used to race Chevy's when I was a kid, I've owned a 79 Camaro bought new and an 85 4X4 C10 Truck bought new. I've also done a lot of work on other peoples Chevy's so I have a lot of experience with them. I like the Trucks but they don't meet the quality levels of their rivals from my experience. As far as it getting deep, I agree but even a bozo like me seems like a genius compared to some.
  • hindsitehindsite Posts: 590
    Did I say that all vehicles handle the same? Show me from one of my post that I said that. You may not be able to comprehend the written English language or maybe it is some inbred phobia to win every argumentive battle. I real do think that you are twisting Allknowing's words around just to prove a point. Hey, if you are one of those guys that has to have it thier way there is no dialogue.
  • hindsitehindsite Posts: 590
    Spoog your post are factual and always informative.

Cthomp
    I am not cheering Spoog on if you want to rant that one again. LOL
This discussion has been closed.