Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - V

Comments

• cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    That sounds like quite the trip. How long did that take you? I wouldn't mind about a month off and endless roads in front of me.

The '89 Corolla my wife and I owned back in college rusted like crazy too. It ran well too, as the proper maintenance was performed. My uncle patched up the car at his body shop, and we sold it a few months later with 100K miles.

You couldn't even get to the wheels bearings to repack them as they were sealed. They had begun to make noise, and I feared some expensive repairs down the road.

Didn't Toy say that about half of the V6s had bad head gaskets? Or, was that they replaced about half of the head gaskets?
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    different breed I guess. There is a post on another topic were the guy is just elated with Toyotas even though his first truck sounded "hollow" when you shut the doors and he thought it was normal for a head gasket to go at 84,000 miles. Here I'm basically understanding people to say, "Oh I love my Toyota so much that a little rust doesn't affect reliability." I bet it doesn't effect resale either.

My point is if a domestic truck does this stuff it's "What junk they build, I can't believe the lack of quality etc." It just seems so two faced to me.
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    How Toyota Truck owners are allowed to generalize about reliability but no domestic owners are.
    One person can say he drove his toy 100k plus with no problems and took a trip to New Orleans or Arizona or wherever and claim this means that all toyota trucks are reliable but no other trucks are and Toyota engine problems are not representative. On the other hand When a Ford owner claims that many miles or more on his Ranger everyone always points to the Rangers that have problems and says THEY are representative of this truck's overall quality, not the satisfied owners. Plus, Toyota does not sell as many trucks in this country as any domestic so of course there will likely be much fewer problems. And personally, I think it doesn't matter how reliable an engine is, It's not worth it to be driving around in a bucket of rust 10 years from now.
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    to post 480 and 481
  • mickeyg1mickeyg1 Member Posts: 6
    My first 4X4 (bought in Oct. of 95)was a 1986 SR5, xtracab, 2.4 litre,22RE fuel injected Toy. Can't say it was perfect. Drove 25K a year and blew the head gasket at 83K. But I drove the hell out of it. Carried my Suzuki Quadracer to the desert every weekend and pedal to the metal all 120 miles each way. Overall, though... never left me stranded or disappointed. Only sank it once in deep water.(my bad). Traded it in Jan of 96 for a Tacoma V6,xtracab,SR5, power & Chrome Pkge, and can't be any happier. The truck hasn't been flawless but I can't ever say that I wish I would have bought a Ford Ranger. Yes, the Tacoma is steep but you can't put a price on long term reliability. When you turn the key, that baby better start, and it does... 81K miles later, every time. 190hp and 220lbs/ft of torque from a 3.4 litre. Quality engineering deserves praise. Forget about TRD(not available when I bought mine)suspension, or supercharger, the truck speaks for itself. Quality throughout. Go to the car show, sit in one, close the doors, compare craftsmanship and finish and styling. The Ford Ranger is just not there. To those who boast the number one selling vehicle in the Nation. You are absolutely correct. The Ford F150 takes the honors hands down. I wonder why?!!?!? With all the rebates and Financing specials not to mention the low price. Give me a break. Common sense dictates that a lower price will sell on its own merit regardless of quality. I'm not Knocking Ford, but they don't have the best track record. Toyota's are quality. I myself as a Toyota diehard, still feel they are overpriced yet I still would pay the premium over any Ranger.(note I didn't include the Lightning F150. Reliability yet to be seen, this is one hell of a SVT product). I'm sorry that some Ford Ranger owners feel that Tacoma owners made a mistake on purchase, because that's exactly how I look at a Ranger owner. You get what you pay for. If the Ranger suits your needs, great because the price is right(no doubt about that), I personally am happy with my Tacoma regardless of premium.
    "Drove 25K a year and blew the
    head gasket at 83K. But I drove the hell out of it."
    Big deal. I had a 83 S10 I drove the hell out of and only had the valve covers off because the gaskets needed to be replaced and put 300,000 on it. Besides normal wear and tear......tires, belts, etc it was a great truck. I'd still be driving it but I got a deal I couldnt refuse on a 99 S10 last year.
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    Thanks for posting the C&D article. In the article, every test was a test of cornering ability under different conditions. If you look up the definition of "handling" it means the ability to control or direct something which is in this case a car or truck. If you wish to include driving in a straight line as a handling characteristic we can, but most vehicles will be closely matched. Most people would not be too impressed by a car that has excellent handling as long as it doesn't turn any corners. Cornering ability is the standard that determines a car or truck's handling ability to most of the population except you "subjective" guys. In the C&D article the only subjectiveness I saw was between cars that were very closely matched for a particular test. As far as you're Contour taking a corner at 35+ miles an hour, I've driven one and it won't do a 90 degree corner at that speed without some tire noise, some body lean, and some extra effort to keep control. You also say that some may have the opinion, because of your subjectivity stuff, that a Contour handles better than a 300ZX. In the real world, though the Contour may be a good car, it couldn't begin to keep up with a 300ZX on any curved road, or track, or in a straight line for that matter. Put the same driver in both cars and the 300zx will still easily win. The 300ZX's ability to maneuver at speed without losing control makes it a better handling vehicle. There's no subjectivity involved. If you really don't understand that, or don't comprehend the meaning of the word the same as I and most of the world do, then I guess we may as well go on to a different topic. I don't mean to be demeaning but, as I stated before, I thing you have "Ride Characteristics" confused with "Handling".
    Glad that you had good luck with you Chevy. Maybe you can be on Ripley's believe it or not.
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Cthomp-

"Sorry, not into politics.

If your "proof" is blown engines and bodies
    falling apart from rust, there you go."

Cthomp, I asked you to name a pickup truck more reliable and with a better reliability record than the tacoma compacts. You couldn't do that.

Thanks for proving my point............;)
    Yep, I'm proving your point with blown head gaskets and rusted out bodies. Appearantly you Toyota guys just take that as "normal" wear & tear.

Sorry, but I don't.

I had a car that blew its head gasket and cracked the head at 75K miles. I fixed it and sold it because I couldn't trust it anymore. Maybe if I had put a magical "T" on the front of it, it would have made everything all better. You Toyota guys seem to think so.

Just for the record, I'd take a 1990 4.3 S10, 2.9 Ranger, Mazda B-series, or Nissan p/u ANY day of the week over that only 10-year-old, rusted out body, head gasket blowing Toyota compact p/u to which you referred to earlier as the culmination of reliability.

Nice try, spoog. I wouldn't be running off to join the debate club any time soon. Your arguments make no sense and are not supported by facts OR logic. And, you revert to profanity and name-calling when proved wrong over and over.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Go to carpoint and into their auto section. Its one of the main categories. Also, be sure to check out the Toyota truck section and the TAcoma section. You may be surprised. Toyota owners discount this data in thier minds.
    Look at post 1783 quick before Edmunds deletes it. A Tacoma pre-runner 2000 caught fire!! LOL.
    Did a Webster's dictionary drive those cars?

Why can't you answer the questions I posted in #477?

Here they are again:

Can you tell me why they just didn't drive all of
    the cars through a single corner to delare the
    winner?

Can you tell me why they picked a car as the best
    handling car for over $30,000 that didn't place
    first in a single one of their tests?

PLEASE ANSWER THIS ONE, I'M DYING TO KNOW YOUR REASONING HERE.

This is why it's called handling and not cornering.

As for driving in a straight line, I don't believe that most vehicles are closely matched at all.

I never said my car didn't exhibit body roll when traveling through a corner at 35mph. Which is best? No body roll, a little body roll, moderate body roll, a whole buncha body roll? Why would it be best? Don't you think it's driver preference? But, that makes it... SUBJECTIVE!!!
    Why do I need to be on Ripleys?
    As for what I believe handling to be defined as when it comes to an automobile:

Handling is the characteristics that the vehicle exhibits when in motion.

It could be starting, stopping, turning, hitting potholes, jumping sand-dunes, speeding down the back straight at Neurenbring (sp?), or whatever.

If you believe handling to be only cornering, why not just say "cornering"???
    This is getting boring guy. I have said that handling is pretty much cornering over and over. You're in the minority to think otherwise. I never said that you could determine overall handling characteristics by turning one corner. I did indicate that a vehicle that can turn a corner at a greater speed is a very good indicator. As for the the article, if you read it you'll discover that the BMW is a very good "cornering" vehicle. Under several conditions, it cornered at speed with stability better than the sports cars in spite of it's shape and that's why they picked it. May I suggest that you read the article a bit closer. You seemed like a bright guy but you're beginning to make me question your IQ.
    You're one of the very lucky few to have no problems with a Chevy. hey have some good designs but way too many assembly problems. If you're lucky enough to get a good one, then it can be a good truck.
    You're looking to me to answer your goofy questions so why not answer one that I asked. If handling is subjective and some may choose a Cadillac over a Porsche, as you have stated several times, why doesn't at least one driver choose a Cadillac to race in a Grand Prix? I'll answer it for you if I may. The Cadillac has the power but you won't find one race driver that feels it handles good enough for a race. Your comment about Webster's dictionary is simply juvenile also. If you don't understand what the word means you really don't have an argument.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Understanding is a two way street. I'm not sure that YOU'RE getting it. Handling may or may not be subjective but the question is; what handles best in a given environment? In a RACE situation a Porsche may handle better(even though the older models had a nasty rep for being tail happy) but would you take it over a Lincoln on a 500 mile trip? I owned a twin turbo 300zx and I swear I hated long distance trips in it. Other than the clutch going out at 20,000 miles it was a great car but it "handled" choppy roads like a buck board even in the "tour" mode. I used my Moms Lincoln on the L.A. to Vegas run because it "handled" the trip better to me. IMHO there is race handling, touring handling, off road handling and maybe countless other parameters a car can excel or fail at. Heck, go carts can pull over a G at the track, does that mean they handle better then anything else?
    You're almost comprehending it but you're still confusing Handling with general ride characteristics. I'll agree that certain vehicles handle better under different conditions, i.e., a 300zx will not handle as well as a truck on off-road however on the street it is superior. However, someone wouldn't choose a Lincoln over a Porsche for a 500 mile trip because the Lincoln handles better in that situation. On the contrary, you would choose the Lincoln because it has a softened up suspension to ride comfortably, sacrificing potential cornering or "handling" ability. I would agree that a Lincoln handles your butt better on a long drive.
    You said whichever vehicle could take a corner at the highest speed was the best handling vehicle. Now, you're backtracking and saying that it's a "good indicator" and you can't determine overall handling characteristics by turning a single corner. What is it, guy? You're all over the place here.

Well, the M3 didn't pull the highest Gs or shoot the slalom the quickest. Those are some prime indicators of "cornering" which I think you are confusing with a vehicle's overall handling. Maybe you should reread the article and rethink your position.

My only point is that handling is subjective. It all comes down to driver preference. And, I'm pretty sure I'm not in the minority here.
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Since when was handling part of ride quality on a choppy road? The car may ride choppy, but still handle well.
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    The Viper handles well and I can assume that is still subjective? Hmmm....put any driver in a Viper and it will always handle well on the road.
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    I left on march 26 99 and returnded April 29th and am pretty bummed that I returned. Came within an inch of staying in Bend Oregon but figured I would make it back to see the Merle Watson Bluegrass Festival in NC and then regroup before heading back out. Well i got a job offer in Charlotte before I made it back that I could not turn down. Pretty much lived in the truck and did alot of bakpacking.

All,
    You can rat on Toyota for the rust problem but that has nothing to do with reliabillty. If you took care of your truck you could avoid it. I bought mine used and it started to rust after I got it, but no regrets. It is still reliable. If it it starts and runs well it is reliable. As far as the head gasket is concerned, be careful, because while you may think it is some problem specific to Toyota, it is not. Dont jinx yourself. I could supply plenty of links to Ford discussion groups about bown headgaskets.
    Don't you think that different vehicles are going to handle differently in different situations?
    I'll bet it hurts pleanty now to sit behind the desk and hammer away at the 'ole computer.

I wouldn't mind taking a month off and heading on a cross country trip. I've always wanted to drive through the mountains, as I'm a flatlander here in IL.

Oh well, back to work. Maybe for a few weeks this summer...
    That exact same thing happened to my mothers Taurus with the 3.8 but since it was a 92 Ford just said "Sorry, we will give you 1.6K on a trade in for a new Taurus" Mom said "Yeah right, I'm getting a Camry" and sold it to an individual for 2K.

I for one have never tried to say that the Toyota trucks never had a headgasket problem, just that my 3.0L didn't. If you are one of the Ford owners who contantly brings up Toyotas headgasket problems as if they are limited to Toyota you may have opened up a can of worms. I suggest you dont look at the discussion groups at any of your beloved Ford sites such as blueovalnews. Seems as if there is some trouble with the 3.8, 4.6, and 5.4L
    I love how the Tacoma fans don't want to comment on the burning 2000 Tacoma Pre-runner in topic 1783!! Thats it guys just shove it under the table just like the majority of Toyota owners probably do, too embarrassed that their Toyotas do breakdown and even catch on fire!! LOL!! Enjoy the Tinoda's! drive slow, don't crash them!
    Enjoy the stickers too!
    See you in the Cascades.
    Hind, I proved my point the pictures say it all. I have a Ranger, live in the NW and enjoy some of the best offroading in the country!, With my Ford Ranger. Eat your words and enjoy them with some salt
    We all know the fire was most likely caused by human error, like an improperly instatlled battery or a wire that was frayed. Dont laugh, it could EASILY happen to you. This was a random freak event that does not discriminate by manufacturer. I dont think anyone in here cares about every freak accident, and if they did I am sure we would see more Ranger accidents since as you have stated a million times, there are 4x as many Rangers on the Road.
    "You're one of the very lucky few to have no
    problems with a Chevy." Luck had nothing to do with it, Chevy makes good trucks. My dads Chevys went at least 200,000 miles.

Sorry to get off the Ford/toyota subject but I had to laugh when someone said they blew a head gasket with 83,000 miles on their toyota but acted like it was no big deal. I guess if the engine blew up that would've been ok also because its a toyota.
  • dineshjdineshj Member Posts: 1
    I would like to get advice on whether to buy a
    1995 model toyota tercel.
    It is a 2D STD SEDAN.
    No power options, no a/c, and leather interior. 4
    speed auto trans.
    The odometer shows 78000+ and the car is in mint
    condition.
    Brakes have been replaced a year back and 2 tires
    have been replaced 8 months back.
    The owner maintains oil change history for past 1
    year (had changed oil thrice in a year) and the
    latest was 3 weeks back.
    He is quoting a price of $3800.
    Sorry for the cross posting.
    ;-)))
    I think the reason it was ok was that it was handled nicely by toyota. Again at least Toyota did not say "Sorry, but we cant help you" like Ford.
    Once again your immaturity and ignorance rise to the top. You usually resort to name-calling as I have once again proved you wrong.

For the record, all of those 1990 p/u's I mentioned would be more reliable than that 1990 Toyota p/u. Around half of the 3.0's manufactured that year had the fatal flaw of a weak head gasket. I think a malfunction that results in the vehicle not running anymore with costly repairs (especially if it cracks the heads or ruins other engine internals) would be a little bit more serious than the minor things like switches that you love to nitpick. And, none of them would be rusted apart.

Hey, does your rpm still jump to 3000 when you engage your 4wd? Did you ever figure out the chemical composition of that special steel you say Toyota uses? Hey, why don't you post your favorite little article? Ya know, it's the one that you base your entire knowledge of trucks on.
  • mickeyg1mickeyg1 Member Posts: 6
    Never said blowing a head gasket was no big deal. Then again you don't know how I drive. I agree with you, it never should happen on ANY vehicle. My point was to summarize my personal experiences owning a Toyota I ended up keeping 10 years and driving 245,000 miles. I'll gladly match my 1996 Tacoma to your S10 in any category you wish to discuss. The S10 barely came up to 190HP, recently back in Jan of 96 when I bought my Tacoma, they were at 170hp(I considered buying one)as my first car was a 75 camaro which I had in high school and it ran great. You can't tell me the S10 has the same reliability as a Toyota because it's not true. You may have had a great ownership experience with yours but statistics reflect overall numbers not just one owner. I have 81,000 on my 1996, and it runs GREAT. And yes I did receive a factory recall notice for the headgasket which the dealer/manufacturer took care of. Are you saying chevy never had any recalls??!? I remember reading about an ABS problem not too long ago. By the way, the sticker on a fully loaded S10 isn't too much different than a Tacoma(did you go to the auto show this year). And for those who mentioned a rust problem. I never had one. A lot of manufactures improved undercoating due to rust problems with all vehicles, especially back east where salt is poured on highways to assist with snow problems.
    I'm glad you had your S10 for 300,000 and stayed loyal and bought another. That's the same way I feel about my Toyota. I don't Knock other brands or LOL at S10 or Ranger owners. Their purchase decisions are their business. I know that Toyota Trucks in general receive more accolades from automotive mags and JD Powers than any of the domestics. My purchase decision was based on quality, reliability, performance, towing capacity, cargo capacity, fit finish,quality of workmanship etc... I don't mind paying a premium when I feel there is added value. The Ford Ranger argument that there are more Rangers is ludicrous as that is the most inexpensive truck on the road. Just as quality sells on its on merit, so does a low price.
  • wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    So nobody wants to address that ford has headgasket problems as well, NOT SURPRISED!

Seems folks keep waving the rust thing around as well. That's a 10 year ago argument. Have anything new?

Looks Like JUVENILE_8 still knows how to use the post button

You Ranger guys kill me. All you can come up with is the crashtest info. An important issue, but that's it?

Also we'll talk when there is more than one "My TRD Caught Fire" websites. There are more than one "My ford caught fire" sites...

My .02
    -wsn
    No manufacturer can build a perfect vehicle, I'm sure Chevys had recalls. Sorry to put you in with the group that thinks the japanese can do no wrong, but there are people like that out there. I have no idea what a toyota costs but I thought it would've been cheaper than the American trucks. The comparisons between our trucks might be unfair, mine being a 99 and yours a 96, but if you want to compare em go ahead. And yes I went to the auto show in Chicago.
  • trenttrent Member Posts: 86
    You ever go to the Leaf or Black mtn festival? I haven't been to the Merle fest for a few years due to other dates. They usually have some great music there and a lot of other places in NC and Virginia in the spring. I guess you listen to wncw in Charlotte or should I say Spindale.
    Cthomp.....lol!!!!

When it rains it pours......Here come the 90 NHSTA recalls, defects and TSB's for the trucks you mentioned verse the Toyota.....dum da dee dum................
  • toyfordmantoyfordman Member Posts: 1
    As having more experience than any person on this townhall I can tell you that where Ranger and Tacoma are concerned the Ranger is far more fun to drive. The torque is abundant and the 5 speed auto and smooth ride outweigh the Toyota's very small edge in reliabilty. Both have a known recall history with Toyota's almost a silent Unknown mystery. My Authority on the matter comes from the fact I run a Toyota Dealership with a sister store next to it that so happens to be a Ford dealership which I also worked for at one time. Toyota rules the market in cars but where compact trucks are concerned Ford has the edge.A very large example of this is Toyota's role back of Tacoma pricing for 2000 and any Consumers Reports dating back to the into of Tacoma.
    I believe that Rangers had problems with head gaskets sometime back in '93-94 when the 4.0 was first available in the Ranger. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know if they were an issue in the Explorer in the early '90s. But, it's likely as the ranger and explorer shared essentially the same drivetrain.
    "Just for the record, I'd take a 1990 4.3 S10, 2.9
    Ranger, Mazda B-series, or Nissan p/u ANY day of
    the week over that only 10-year-old, rusted out
    body, head gasket blowing Toyota compact p/u to
    which you referred to earlier as the culmination of
    reliability."

Cthomp, I have in hand the data for these vehicles you have selected over the 90' Toyota.
    Here is the official list of stats from the NHSTA site:

90 Chevy s-10:
    2 safety recalls
    4 defect investigations(one of them being engine compartment fires)
    88 Technical Service Bulletin Recalls

------------------------

90 Mazda b series pickup:

0 recalls
    4 Technical Service Bulletin Recalls
    0 Defect Investigations

-------------------------

90 Nissan pickup:

1 safety recall
    1 Technical Service Bulletin Recall
    0 Defect investigations

-----------------------

90 Ford Ranger:

4 safety recalls
    339 ( yes, I said 339) Technical Service repair bulletins
    2 Defect Investigations(wheel seperation/torque loss)

----------------------

90 toyota pickup:

0 safety recalls
    7 Technical service bulletin recalls
    0 Defect Investigations
    ----------------------

Well Cthomp, had you stuck with the Mazda and Nissan for your choices, you may have built a strong case, as these are close choices with the Toyota. By adding the Ranger and the s-10, you sunk your argument down to the deepest possible pit.

See....this is what it's like dealing in facts. And you know what? Facts are good.

Remember that ole "foot in mouth" comment?

" A poet everybody! The lad reckons himslef a poet!"

Enjoy.
    (1) The first recall is for the 2.5L S10 (w/o A/C). I said that I'd take a 4.3L S10, and I'd never buy a vehicle w/o A/C (again)! You roast like a duck in the summer.

(2) That second one is great! It's for postal vehicles only! I guess I shouldn't work for the post office and drive an S10! BTW, that would also be for the 2.5L S10.

Got any more postings that will gimme a chuckle like those???
    So, am I actually reading this right??? The number of recalls (both safety and technical) were:

Toyota 7

Ranger 4

Mazda 4

Nissan 2

S10 2

Do the math for yourself. Last time I checked 7 was greater than 4 or 2. For TSB's, we've got the manufacturer telling the dealer how to fix a problem with the truck rather than a mechanic spending hours doing analysis. That sounds good to me!
    "Just for the record, I'd take a 1990 4.3 S10, 2.9
    Ranger, Mazda B-series, or Nissan p/u ANY day of
    the week over that only 10-year-old, rusted out
    body, head gasket blowing Toyota compact p/u to
    which you referred to earlier as the culmination of
    reliability."

Cthomp, I have in hand the data for these vehicles you have selected over the 90' Toyota.
    Here is the official list of stats from the NHSTA site:

90 Chevy s-10:
    2 safety recalls
    4 defect investigations(one of them being engine compartment fires)
    88 Technical Service Bulletin Recalls

------------------------

90 Mazda b series pickup:

0 recalls
    4 Technical Service Bulletin Recalls
    0 Defect Investigations

-------------------------

90 Nissan pickup:

1 safety recall
    1 Technical Service Bulletin Recall
    0 Defect investigations

-----------------------

90 Ford Ranger:

4 safety recalls
    339 ( yes, I said 339) Technical Service repair bulletins
    2 Defect Investigations(wheel seperation/torque loss)

----------------------

90 toyota pickup:

0 safety recalls
    0 Defect Investigations
    ----------------------

Well Cthomp, had you stuck with the Mazda and Nissan for your choices, you may have built a strong case, as these are close choices with the Toyota. By adding the Ranger and the s-10, you sunk your argument down to the deepest possible pit.

See....this is what it's like dealing in facts. And you know what? Facts are good.

Remember that ole "foot in mouth" comment?

" A poet everybody! The lad reckons himslef a poet!"

Enjoy.
    For total defect and safety recalls it is:

Ranger- 6

Chevy - 6

Toyota - 0

Nissan - 2

Mazda- 0

The toyota has 7 TSB's, compared to the Rangers 339, the Chevies 88.

Also please remember that TSB's arent just "information". They are information to known problems with then inherent design of the vehicle.
    Its not that hard.

90 Ranger-

4 safety recalls
    2 defect investigations
    339 TSB's

-----------

90 Toyota-

0 safety recalls
    0 defect investigations
    7 TSb's

-----------

90 Mazda-

o safety recalls
    0 defect investigations
    4 TSB's

-----------

90 Nissan-

1 safety recall
    1 defect investigation
    1 TSB

-----------

90 Chevy-

2 safety recalls
    4 defect investigations
    88 TSB's

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
    Frankly Ct, I tired of responding to your goofy replys and your taking me out of context. I never said that between any two cars, turning a single corner would determine which handles the best. Read deeper my friend, make me proud and pulse that brain God gave you a bit more. I did say that a car that can turn a 90 degree corner at high speed with complete control is a better handling car than one that can't. Those two statements mean different things. When cars that are fairly evenly matched are compared, as in the C&D article, then different cars may excel in different cornering conditions. The real point is that the cars were closely matched, meaning all we exceptional handling or "cornering" cars to begin with (I tried to clarify my statement for deep thinkers like you). When you compare a Ford Contour or a Pinto to a 300ZX or a Porsche then turning one corner at high speed will easily determine which car handles better. The Contour and the Pinto will probably be upside down or smashed into the curb while the Porsche drives away without breaking a sweat. You're either too stubborn to read the article and my comments any deeper than on a superficial level or you simply don't have the ability to comprehend what the word "handling" means. I'm not sure which it is but I'm bored with the topic so this is my last response on the subject. Rather than create your own broad definition to the word, take the time to learn what it really means. It's tough for me to debate someone on an English word's meaning that hasn't mastered the language. Forgive me for being blunt, and I'm sure that you'll respond with the best you intellect can produce, but I'm wasting my time if you refuse to exercise your brain a bit.
    ----------------------

90 toyota pickup:

0 safety recalls
    0 Defect Investigations
    ----------------------

That looks like the word recall to me.
    If you say handling and mean cornering, why don't you just say cornering?

Not splitting hairs with you anymore.

I'd seriously consider changing your handle.
    What about the recall on the 3.0 head gasket for the 1990 Toyota compact? Shouldn't that be in your tally? Is it listed under the technical service bulletin recall?
This discussion has been closed.