Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Seems to me the mileage improvement of the GS450 is so meagre as to be negligible. It's embarrassing, really, to charge a $6K premium for what--an annual savings of about $500 at 12,000 miles/year?

I initially overlooked something (that it seems you did, as well) regarding mpg and price.... The price of the upcoming 450H will be low-$60s with city/hwy mpg at 27/28, which is around $6k more than a fairly well-equipped GS430 -- the V8 -- with fuel economy of 18/25. The 450H will be around $15k more than the GS300 with mpg of 22/30.

So we're actually combining two models in our comparison to the GS450H....
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    Easy now, all I say is the GS450H will be my top choice for as the replacement vehicle when in about a year time. I don't know much about the car.I also don't know if the $6000 difference comparing to a GS430 is due only to the fact that this is a hybrid. I do know that I like to drive a competent LPS and if I can get a somewhat unique one at a premium so be it.
    The only real purpose of the GS450h seems to be to give the person who wants to be able to say "I drive a hybrid" something that is still a powerful luxury car that makes no real compromises (other than trunk space). They only expect about 2000 sales a year, so there probably wont be a lot of those people. i>

You are probably right. With such low number, these cars might become collector's items :surprise:
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Someone help me figure this out.

At what price per gallon and how many miles per year and how many years will it take to make this GS450h work from an economic point of view, let alone a "green" point of view?

Although I do believe $3.00 gallon as a base price nationwide is hardly a long time in the future fantasy, what makes the "h" attractive battery-wise? Are the batteries "permanent?" Are the batteries NOT a land fill issue as I have been reading about?

Other than a stop gap measure and perhaps a performance improving technology (accelerative performance) what on earth would make one spend MORE for the "h" car based on what we know today and even what we think will happen over the next 4 years.

Consider this:

Date Jan 6, 2004, Source Wall Street Journal.

"In five years, the industry will have gone from 900 models with an average [useable] life cycle of eight years, to 1,500 models with an average life cycle of four years."

Article: Detroit's Challenge.

We are now 2 years into this -- 40% of the way there.

Wonder how this will pan out.

If the "cycle" or average life cycle drops to 4 years, how could these "h" cars ever hope to be anything more than an ecological statement, for they appear certainly to be neither an economic statement or a technology statement.

And, BMW is thinking about STEAM POWER!

I could just scream. Fuel Stratified Injection into a Turbo Diesel with lots of filters and stuff seems to be a heckuva lot more pragmatic.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    And there's also the XJ, which the X-type's look is basically a scaled down version of.

The X-type may be a scaled down design look, but it is a P.O.S. and a failure for many reasons, and thank God Jaguar will end it soon. The X-type could NEVER be in the same league that the XJ is in. The XJ, in its latest generation, is actually (and FINALLY) a terrific car that is, unfortunately, forced to live past an old reputation. Let there never be any confusion. Night and Day.

Other than the design cues, the similarity is as real as this:

There's always the Camry which is a scaled down version of the Lexus LS.

Another ridiculous idea, don't you agree?

TagMan
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I don't believe that any of the hybrid vehicles are practical from a money savings pov, nor are they particularly good for the environment. I think the word here is "bill of goods". I love Toyota (Lexus) automobiles but I am not buying into the hybrids. Please sell me one of those Toyota diesels that they sell in Europe!!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    The Lexus GS 430 trunk is already a joke-the narrowest opening I have ever seen- totally impractical.
    The new 450h, believe it or not, has only 7.5 cubic feet of trunk space compared to the already inadequate 13 cubic feet of the GS430-that alone disqualifies this vehicle from serious consideration for me.
    If I want a vehicle with a small trunk in this price range, the Porsche Boxster would be the car for me.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Although I'm no big fan of the GS, I think that the GS450h is actually the first hybrid that makes sense from an economic point of view.

BTW, pricing has been announced, and it is $54,900. Zero to 60 is 5.2s, so it kills the GS430 in that regard, even though one is technically a V6 and the other a V8. Also, the GS430 may have a lower starting price, but the GS450h has a lot more standard features, such as:

Electronic Power Steering (EPS) with Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS), electrically powered air conditioner, power moonroof and power rear sunshade, heated/ventilated front seats, rear side airbags, rain-sensing wipers, Intuitive Park Assist, rear back-up camera, 18-inch alloy wheels.

A fully loaded GS430 with Navi/ML is $59,000. A fully loaded GS450h with Navi/ML will be about $59,000 as well.

So, for about the same price, you get a faster AND a more fuel efficient car. (Of course, the trunk opening is still laughable and the trunk size is even smaller now with the battery.)

Even against other V8's in this class, the GS450h does great:

$59,000 fully loaded
    0-60: 5.2s
    EPA: 28/27

What V8 sedan in this class gives you this combination of class-leading acceleration and class-leading fuel efficiency at this price?

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2006022863558
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    What V8 sedan in this class gives you this combination of class-leading acceleration and class-leading fuel efficiency at this price?

Answer: Various turbodiesels that are sold in Europe and will hopefully sell soon in North America.(BMW 535d and the Audi A6 TDI)

Nor do I mean to re-trigger a hybrid versus diesel dispute in this forum.
    A stock Audi A8L 4.2 Turbo diesel driven on real roads, with traffic and everything -- went from London to Wales and back on a single tank of retail diesel fuel purchased at a petrol station in London.

The car was driven using every possible technique to maximize economy. But it was a STOCK HUGE Mega-sized Lux car (that happens to be a spirited performer and also have a trunk large enough for a small family of 4 -- and a big trunk opening.)

It achieved 40+MPG.

Maybe I am crazy Miranda, but this was documented and broadcast.

It makes one wonder what would or could be if we had access to even the stock engines without hybrid assistance, etc in LPS sized cars -- 45MPG, more?

Almost a cake and eat it too scenario.

Moreover, we have KNOWN petrol reserves on US soil that would permit current use to continue without additional discoveries or additional technologies for 100 years.

No batteries, YET, can even come close for even remotely close money.

I often describe myself as the Lunatic Fringe or Screaming Voice in the Wilderness as it applies to my passion for manual transmissions and AWD LPS cars -- this however is enough to get me put away in a rubber room.

Sure, our diesel here in Vaspucciland isn't quite as PURE as the stuff they can swill over on the other side of the Atlantic -- but this is not even remotely close to a technological stretch.

The paucity of such vehicles here AND the lack of a public DEMAND for same must demonstrate the power of our media and marketing to obfuscate.

WOW!

And the heck of it is, this GS450h will probably "get away with it." At least if the "it" is in any way a suggestion that this is a green thing to do (green being both the color of money and the symbol for ecologically sound cars.)

I'm all for HP cars and I grant the review of the "h" from the accelerative urge point of view is impressive and attractive. Ever read a similar review of one of these high zoot TD's?

Cake and eat it too? :confuse:

Perhaps. :surprise:
    The turbo diesels are nice and dandy, but they're not available here...

The GS450h is faster, much more fuel efficient, and cheaper than most V8 LPS's. Dunno why a lot of posters would dismiss it so readily, useless trunk notwithstanding.
    Dunno why a lot of posters would dismiss it so readily

Why?

1)Real world 22mpg is not what I call fuel efficient? MB E320CDI is available in N. America and is far more fuel efficient .

2)The heaviness of a GS450H weighs down its handling dynamics

3)Added complexity adds to service costs in the future(and if you want to save money by going to an independent mechanic, good luck--especially if battery/hybrid issues arise)

4)Toyota hybrids are known to have software problems

5)If you live in a cold winter area of this continent, fuel mileage will suffer far more than a non-hybrid.

6)If you do mainly highway driving then a non-hybrid car may be just as fuel efficient

7)High price label

8) If you want to sincerely save gas with a GS450H then you will have to drive it like a timid centenarian great-great-great grand mother.

9) If you are into full-throttle driving then expect the GS450H to burn gas almost as much as a V8.

and last but not least

10)Awful trunk space

So again what is there to like about the GS450H, especially when compared to a MB E320 CDI?
  • rayngrayng Member Posts: 70
    I have several reasons to prefer the gs450h over the e320cdi:

1. No matter how great diesels are, there aren't enough gas stations nearby. When there are diesel stations, prepare to get stuck in line behind pickup and commercial trucks with huge gas tanks.

2. Lexus service and reliability which by comparison to the e class has been superior.

3. At least in L.A.-- a clearly green and liberal town, it's cool to drive a hybrid. Don't let the Hollywood liberals fool you, many los angelenos like myself are about image and not substance. ;) So do we really care if we're saving gas? Maybe not. At least we're driving a hybrid. How's that for trendiness?

4. 0-60 at 5.2 is pretty good, at least .3 better than the new ls460.
    Thanks for info jrock65. This makes a lot more sense to me now. Maybe in a year time Lexus can do something to improve the trunk space issue i.e. smaller and lighter batteries, but this is not a deal breaker for me. My Subaru wagon will handle the cargo run trips quite easily. I will need to test drive one to see for myself.
    1)Real world 22mpg is not what I call fuel efficient? MB E320CDI is available in N. America and is far more fuel efficient.

C&D got 24 mpg for the E320 CDI.

2)The heaviness of a GS450H weighs down its handling dynamics.

The GS450h weighs about 150 lb. more than the E320 CDI. I'm not a fan of the over-boosted handling GS to begin with, so I'll give you that the GS450h isn't going to win any track awards.

3)Added complexity adds to service costs in the future(and if you want to save money by going to an independent mechanic, good luck--especially if battery/hybrid issues arise)

I'll take a Lexus GS450h over a MB E320 CDI any day of the week when taking wagers on overall future reliability.

4)Toyota hybrids are known to have software problems

See above.

5)If you live in a cold winter area of this continent, fuel mileage will suffer far more than a non-hybrid.

True. But it'll still be far better than all other V8's in this class.

6)If you do mainly highway driving then a non-hybrid car may be just as fuel efficient

The GS450h will still get far better highway mpg than all other V8's in this class.

7)High price label

The price of a similarly equipped GS450h is lower than any other car in its class, except the M45.

8) If you want to sincerely save gas with a GS450H then you will have to drive it like a timid centenarian great-great-great grand mother.

No, even if you drive it hard, you'll still get much better mileage than other V8's.

9) If you are into full-throttle driving then expect the GS450H to burn gas almost as much as a V8.

No, you'll burn as much as a V6, because you'll be driving mainly on the gas engine, which is a detuned version of the 3.5L GR V6 in the IS350.

10)Awful trunk space

No argument there.

So again what is there to like about the GS450H, especially when compared to a MB E320 CDI?

E320 CDI v. GS450h is a faulty comparison to begin with because the MB has the same acceleration as other V6's, while the GS450h has the same (actually better) acceleration as other V8's

C&D got 7.1s 0-60 for the E320 CDI. That seems kinda slow, and I think that the E320 CDI can achieve about 6.5s. Even so, that's comparable to other V6's in this class. Still WAY slower than the 5.2s of the GS450h.

The GS450h shouldn't be compared to V6 cars, because even though it technically has a V6, it's really in the same league as the other V8's.
    A stock Audi A8L 4.2 Turbo diesel driven on real roads, with traffic and everything -- went from London to Wales and back on a single tank of retail diesel fuel purchased at a petrol station in London.

The car was driven using every possible technique to maximize economy. But it was a STOCK HUGE Mega-sized Lux car (that happens to be a spirited performer and also have a trunk large enough for a small family of 4 -- and a big trunk opening.)

Mark, I would love to see this TD Audi available in Canada for comparison when I shop for my next LPS. I don't think you should lose your cool over the fact that no one is promoting td in North America because it WILL be here if it were the true competition for Lexus's hybrid.
    The new 450h, believe it or not, has only 7.5 cubic feet of trunk space

Holy crap!!! Even a BMW Z4 has 8.5 cubic feet of trunk space!
    Fuel quality seems to be an issue.

Market perception, less so in the LPS class, is also an issue, but in this one aspect, there seems to be some growing momemtum (slowly growing) supportive of the notion of "CLEAN" diesel technology.

Audi, too, is attempting to win some races with diesel powered cars, certainly to draw attention to the performance capabilities that a contemporary diesel can bring to the table.

In the US there has been a stigma, slowly fading, about diesels.

I rented an E class Mercedes in Munich and drove it on the autobahn for a day -- so what? Hmmmm? It was a turbo diesel -- it was quiet, quick, and fast.

After driving it essentially full throttle (I was comfortably able to exceed 200kph and easily average 180) from Munich to Garmisch -- the fuel level still read full.

Three people and luggage in the car.

All three of us remarked -- "this would sell in the US, too bad it is in a Mercedes." Were it in a Bimmer or Audi, plus the Merc, the sales, we were convinced would happen.

Clean diesel + "high perormance" LPS diesel cars could change the market's perception.

Or, the price of hybrids could be slashed say, 10%+ and offer ONE free battery replacement, which would perhaps make them interesting.
    Holy crap!!! Even a BMW Z4 has 8.5 cubic feet of trunk space!

Can the Z4 carries 2 or 3 people with some luggage in its trunk? :surprise:

I looked at more pics of the new GS and thought that they can do better with different tail lights.
    I used to own a gasoline turbo charged Mazda. While it was a hoot to drive, I found that the engine components deteriorated so quickly after only 3 years and about 80k Km. I think it was the excess heat and high compression pressure. I wonder if turbo diesel would have similar issues?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    While I cannot speak to your Mazda and its problems, I do have a fair bit of knowledge and experience with turbocharged engines.

1) Turbocharging in an old and well understood art, I personally have published scientific documents from the very early 1920 referencing "turbosuperchargers", and have seen inferences to earlier turbochargers going back to just after the turn of the last century.
    2) Turbocharged engines (gas or diesel) are arguably more sensitive to the maintenance practices of the maintainers. Treat them well and they'll last just as long as a similarly well designed, built and maintained atmospheric engine. Take liberties with their maintenance schedule or scrimp on the quality of said maintenance and they won't last half as long without expensive repairs.
    3) Metallurgy combined with relatively recent design techniques combined again with modern (fully synthetic) lubricants are simply making it much easier to maintain a blown engine to a level where it will last hundreds (yes, plural) of thousands of miles without any major repairs.
    4) Then there is the whole diesel equation. A key factor in the lifespan of turbochargers is what's called the Turbo Inlet Temperature ([non-permissible content removed]). As a general rule, the exhaust manifold temperature and the [non-permissible content removed] for any given size and output of engine is about seven hundred degrees lower on a diesel, and as such, commercial truck have been running them for many hundreds of thousand miles between turbocharger repairs, and they've been doing that for decades.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Can the Z4 carries 2 or 3 people with some luggage in its trunk?

Geez, you don't need to get all snippy.... I wasn't trying to compare the whole car to each other, let alone trying to compare a Lexus to a BMW. My point was that a little convertible roadster has more trunk room that a mid/full-sized sedan. It was just an example of trunk room in a sedan versus a roadster. It was a statement about the lack of space in the GS, rather than a vote of support for the Z4.
    Can you imagine?
    How can anybody buy an LPS with only 7.5 cubic feet of trunk space?
    Obviously, none of the Sopranos!

The GS is cramped inside with mediocre handling, difficult to modulate brakes and gimmicky steering.
    Now the barely adequate trunk with the ridiculously narrow opening has been reduced in size by 42%.

Anyone shopping for the GS 450h need not wonder why the salesperson will be discussing the car's virtues by sitting on the trunk.

I do think the time has come for Lexus to mercifully put the GS down for good.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I just hope they dont try to make an SC450h. That car currently has enough space in the trunk for maybe a hand bag. With a hybrid system, you'd be lucky to squeeze in a wet napkin.

I dont think the concept of the GS is inherently broken, but I agree that the execution of this one is definitely not Lexus' greatest triumph. Everything thats wrong with the GS is basically what's right with the Infiniti M. The next GS needs to be a lot more like that car.
    Good post Shipo. Did you know that when the turbo inlet temperature ([non-permissible content removed]) is in phase with the turbo alignment transistor (tat) the two almost completely cancel each other. This is where the saying [non-permissible content removed] for Tat comes from. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

"Did you know that when the turbo inlet temperature ([non-permissible content removed]) is in phase with the turbo alignment transistor (tat) the two almost completely cancel each other. This is where the saying [non-permissible content removed] for Tat comes from." :)

Oh geez, one more set of facts that I'm going to have to remember regarding blown engines. I think my brain hurts. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Quoted and Quotable:

Oliver: [non-permissible content removed] for tat.
    Stanley: What?
    Oliver: [non-permissible content removed] for tat.
    [Stanley tips his hat]
    Oliver: What's that for?
    Stanley: I thought you said, "Tip me hat".
    Oliver: Mary? Mary who?
    James Finleyson: Mary.... uh... Mary Christmas.
    1)C&D got 24 mpg for the E320 CDI.

The C& D results seem to be the exception versus the norm. Almost every review I read gets about 15 percent better combined mileage (27 to 28mpg). That means a MB320D gets about 23 percent better mileage than the 22mpg mileage achieved by the GS450H.

Here are just two examples:

link title

link title

2)I'll take a Lexus GS450h over a MB E320 CDI any day of the week when taking wagers on overall future reliability.

That may be the case for non-diesel MBs. But Turbodiesel MBs are a different story.

Proof: Our 83 MB300 has been bulletproof and outlived all our family heirlooms except my Seiko from the 1960s. Also I have a family member in Europe who drives a more recent turbodiesel MB with mileage that should be put in the Guiness Book of World Records.

3)The price of a similarly equipped GS450h is lower than any other car in its class, except the M45

Thanks but I will take the M45 instead anyday.

4)The GS450h shouldn't be compared to V6 cars, because even though it technically has a V6, it's really in the same league as the other V8's.

Fair enough in that case I will take any V8 and burn a few extra MPGs with no guilt conscience whatsoever. IMO if I wanted to buy a Lexus then a LS460 looks compelling in comparison to a GS450H.
    "Proof: Our 83 MB300 has outlived all our family heirlooms except my Seiko from the 1960s"

Woah, you cant use an '83 Benz as proof that the current cars are reliable. Benz certainly does not build cars like they did in 1983.
    Agree but the turbodiesel MBs of today are very durable cars that are built to last.(certainly longer than most if not all cars powered by gasoline).

I am not talking about JD Power Quality results on the first 90 days of ownership. I am talking about quality results on the first few decades of ownership.
    At least in L.A.-- a clearly green and liberal town, it's cool to drive a hybrid. Don't let the Hollywood liberals fool you, many los angelenos like myself are about image and not substance. So do we really care if we're saving gas? Maybe not. At least we're driving a hybrid. How's that for trendiness?

Now how can I disagree with that? :P

In fact many urbanites worldwide fit the above description(including Torontorians). Hollywood is not the sole inventor of "image without substance" ;)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The batteries are a huge deal to me. I don't want to give up the space they need, nor do I like the enormous weight they add to the car, and screw up the handling, braking, etc. Also, when I get involved in a collision, will I be burned, electrocuted or smashed by these batteries? Who knows? We don't have enough experience with that yet.

I have no interest in the hybrid scam - and that's what I feel it is, a scam.
    I have no interest in the hybrid scam - and that's what I feel it is, a scam.

Your admitted lack of knowledge on the subject is actually fairly typical. Most folks really don't understand it.

Yes, there were fears at first, but now it is known that you will not get electrocuted. And the extra weight you speak of is much less significant than your passengers, and do you not allow passengers in your car because you think they will screw up the handling and braking?

While understandable, your remarks are knee-jerk over-reactions based upon fear and a lack of information.

I guess Toyota and Honda and others are going to pull a fast one on the whole world . . . and get away with it.

Chill out and enjoy some of the technological advancements and benefits of modern times.

:)

TagMan
    Its not as if Toyota said "lets throw in some batteries and see what happens". These cars have obviously been tested to death. Considering the Prius and Insight have been around since '99, and not a single person has been killed by flying batteries, I think you'll be safe.
    Despite the fact that the hybrid driving population is not yet extinct from electrocution does not mean that hybrids make economic or rational sense.

Light and powerful lithium ion batteries and cheaper mass produced hybrid technology will make hybrids economically sensible in the future. But we will have to wait until that day arrives.

Oh yes this is a LPS forum, what sense is there to talk about rational justifications when every single LPS bought is not a rationally justifiable purchase? Let's face it the only justification for driving a LPS is strictly emotional and not at all rational. So based on that logic maybe a GS450H does make sense.

My own irrational preferences for a LPS are not at all ruled by green considerations(if that was the case I would give up any idea of luxury and performance and just buy the upcoming low priced hybrid Honda Fit--that would be the most rational thing to do)
    Dewey,
    How many of us drive two, three, four, or more vehicles? MANY of us do, particularly those on this forum and the HELMs forum. So why not park a HELM or LPS, a truck, a hybrid, and an SUV in the same garage? Maybe throw in a sports car, while you're at it. Wouldn't that be a nice variety to choose from that would meet most of our needs and whims as well?
    You know I totally love the idea!
    TagMan
    I won't be electrocuted or scarred for life from the batteries. And hopefully they'll be Duracells.....

Still waiting to see however, if the price premium paid, can return to me the savings in gasoline cost within 200,000 miles. That's why I think it's a feel-good scam...at least at this point.
    It's one test so far that got 22 mpg for the GS450h. We should wait for a few more real world tests to determine what the mpg will be.

I'd take an M45 over the GS450h as well, but I'd take a GS450h over a GS430. That's why the GS450h is a significant vehicle. It's the first hybrid that is the same price as its non-hybrid counterpart, yet is faster and of course more fuel efficient.
    nvbanker,
    There's a really interesting forum called "hybrids in the news" that I visit and post to sometimes, because I actually like the hybrid technology. No, I don't think it is the perfect solution, but I do think it is at least a step in the right direction, and we've been through a lot of years without any major progress, so I love the idea of improving and changing technologies. At least it's progress instead of S.O.S., if you know what I mean. Don't be surprised that there are many folks that share your views on that forum, and it is an appropriate place to discuss the hybrid topic.

TagMan
    Thanks, Tag...I'll mosey on over. Check out those folks who may be buying an Oldsmobile Diesel!! :P
    I can find little that supports any other conclusion than your "feel-good" scam comment with the "at this point" qualifier.

I would be all in favor of this, or I think I would be, if there weren't alternatives that don't have battery weight and replacement costs to contend with.

Maybe I should pull my head out of the sand though -- maybe this is where we were a few years ago with sat nav. Who, I thought, would pay $3500 (or more) for sat nav when you can get a map for a lot less?

Of course, now that my wife and I have had 6 cars with sat nav, it seems almost "who wouldn't" get sat nav (plus the price has dropped 50%.)

You see, I became spoiled when after 3 visits to Germany where I had taken the Audi winter driving school (actually in Seefeld, Austria), Audi gave us new 2.5L Turbo diesel A4 quattros with 6 speed manuals to drive for three days.

While "only" offering some 180HP compared with the gasoline versions 220 or so (this was in early 2002), the torque and smoothness of the diesels (coupled with their fuel sipping ways) won me over.

Then I see the Audi A8L with a really torquey 4.2TD get over 40MPG's, well I began to dream of a car about the size of an A6, equipped pretty much as we have come to expect from LPS cars with that same 4.2TD engine in it, beating the pants off the other guys and getting MPG's in the low to mid 30's even with my lead foot.

Then batteries happened. :confuse:

Now, finally, maybe US consumers will see the hybrids are "an" alternative, but perhaps not one that has as much merit as a seemingly old and friendly technology that moves our goods -- diesel. And a little bit of "hep" from Audi may be just what the public needs to whack it upside the head -- IF the diesel can win, place or show.

"One of the most dominant manufacturers in sportscar racing in the last few years, Audi, heads this weekend to America's most storied sportscar race, the 12 Hours of Sebring. Promoting diesel technology with the debut of the new TDI-powered Audi R10 and with serious competition from rivals like Porsche, the 12-hour endurance race promises to be legendary."

"The new Audi R10 TDI has written a piece of motorsport history making its début at Sebring (USA): For the first time ever, a diesel powered car has claimed pole position in a sportscar race. In Thursday’s qualifying session, Scotland’s Allan McNish broke the track record by over two seconds, impressively underlining the performance of the modern Audi TDI technology."

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Still waiting to see however, if the price premium paid, can return to me the savings in gasoline cost within 200,000 miles. That's why I think it's a feel-good scam...at least at this point

I have not researched thoroughly on the technology, but I do look at the hybrid technology differently. As long as the premium for it is not huge, you might stand a good chance to recover some or most that additional cost at the time of reselling your vehicle. Combine the fuel saving, and feeling good at the gas pumps, I think it's may just worth my hard earned $.
    I'd take an M45 over the GS450h as well, but I'd take a GS450h over a GS430. That's why the GS450h is a significant vehicle. It's the first hybrid that is the same price as its non-hybrid counterpart, yet is faster and of course more fuel efficient.

I would not touch anything Infiniti. I hated their sales people in my car shopping experience, so regardless of how nice their vehicles are, I would never go back to their stores. OTOH, I am very happy with the GS. I don't need the room of an LS but I like Lexus's definition of sport/luxury.
    Just the opposite is true regarding resale value because of the battery replacement issue down the road. For example, would you pay a premium for a 5 year old hybrid only to be faced with paying another $6,000. to replace the batteries in 2 or 3 years?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Geez, you don't need to get all snippy
    My apology.

I think the Z4 is perfect for weekend flings with the girl friends. The GS450h is perfect to go out with the wife and occasionally with her parents. The Subaru wagon is perfect for trips to Home Depots... Therefore, each car has it own merits. ;)
    So, you have several girl friends, a wife and a local Home depot. Geez, you've got lots of cars. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Is that a fact? as I have said, I have not got all the info on Lexus Hybrid, but I doubt a company like Toyota, known for good values/reliability, would sell a product that, in your view, goes against all that. It would be a big gamble that I don't see Lexus would want to be known for.
    LOL, I only have 2 right now, GS and Subi and no girl friends.
    By the way, thanks for the reply on the turbo question.
    No problem. ;-)