Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Has Honda's run - run out?

Comments

• driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    I have 5,600 cases under my belt and access to the other 48,000 cases the firm has been involved with - just offering an educated opinion, that's all, your mileage may vary, as they say.

And Hyundai is still absolutely horrible, I don't care what JD Powers says...JD Powers obviously doesn't have contact with the same Hyundai owners I do.

I deal with 2000-2004 model cars, and speaking of Hyundai, their warranty has absolutely nothing to do with reliability - it's a sales too, that's all. Elantras, Sonatas, and Santa Fe transmissions still drop like flies, just like they did in the '90s.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    I know 11 people (including myself) with V6 Hondas/Acuras and most are well over 100k miles, with no issues. Only person with an issue was guy here at work who noticed a whining noise on his 04 Ody. Brought it to the dealer, it was replaced, no questions asked. I think he had a loaner for 2 days while it was done, zero cost to him. The dealer stepped up and delivered, which I commend.

Sure, I was little hesitant when I bought my MDX in the Spring of this year, but my father has one of the original 01's and he's headed for 130,000 miles soon, still on the original tranny. Must be a miracle...

I guess I'm a bit more skeptical of some of the people in forums. I think there was an issue, and I think there were probably a few who did have an issue...

BUT, I also believe with forums, you run into alot of bogus posters who got wind of this and blew it out of proportion with their "horror stories" of Honda's dumping trannies to scare others away from them.

Half of the horror stories I read in these forums about Tranny issues, or oil change fires, etc... are first/last posts from members. They signup for 1 day, make a negative post/horror story and disappear, never to be heard from again. Kind of makes you question if they're for real or not.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    He required a new trany. But my sister has a 2000 V6 Accordt that runs just fine. The Ody problems didn't keep me from buying an 04 Ody that I call my "Rocket Box". If my tranny fails it'll be because of the number of runs to redline. Not many others would test out the 118 mph limiter. It's there.

The Accord 03/04 EX-L is limited at 125.

And a 03 Civic SI will hit redline at 132.

A 1994 LS400 is supposed to do 155 but I put T-rated Michelin X-Ones on it so I won't test it. But it will get to 120 in a hurry.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    Driftracer, I am not talking about lemon laws here. I mean long term, like anything over 36,000 miles. Honda is inferior in automatic transmission design. Show us the money honda, how about a 100,000 mile power train warranty standard on the vehicle. No problem for me, I am returning my leased pilot ex , when the lease is over and leave it to you guys to overpay for your hondas.
    avs007, I have a 2004 Pilot EX, Canadian made with a Japanese transmission, what do you is the long term 36 month prognosis on this transmission, so I will know what to expect.

My is the version that was post Pilot EX trans. recall, so mine was approx. built 4 weeks after the affected recall.
    OK, my 48,000 possible cases that could be Hondas, but aren't, disagrees with you, and that's fine.
    Car @ Driver still love Honda. The TL, RL and Accord made the Top Ten List this year. Not bad.
    name they've made for themselves, and you have to expect all the Chevy and Ford owners to take a few transmission problems and go berzerk saying "See, they're not perfect after all!"..

They aren't, but it's brazenly ironic that Ford and GM owners would decry Honda on reliabilty issues.
    Okay, you seem to an authority on Hondas, all my experience is personal, and people I know who had trans. failure in their mid 90's accords. So I need to know from you, base on my babying my 2004 Pilot EX (ie no towing etc.) Would it have a trouble free 48,000 miles before I will return the lease.

Thanks For any imfo.
    in fact, I have very little contact with Honda products because they aren't problematic and I deal with vehicles that are.
  • avs007avs007 Member Posts: 100
    Actually, it was the TSX, RL, and Accord Hybrid that made the 10 best this year, not the TL... But same difference ;)
    Check your tranny fluid ASAP. That's all I can say. Mine was burning fluid. If it smells burnt, take it in to have it looked at, or at the very least change the fluid. Dealer may tell you, "That is normal", like they did with me... They didn't even want to touch the tranny, so I had to go to a different dealer.
    They didn't specify the Accord Hybrid. They listed all engines in the write-up. The Accord itself was listed as "Best Family Sedan". The picture was of the hybrid though.

My bad on the TL. I didn't bother to pull the mag out.
    "Would it have a trouble free 48,000 miles before I will return the lease."

My father has an Acura MDX 01' that is ready to hit 130,000 miles. His tranny is the same as in your Pilot. Now, he's a stickler for maintainance, and he does the checkup avery 15,000 miles (skips the 7500) He had the "check" done at the beginning of this year, they ended up installing the oil jet kit and it's been fine. I have an 03' which is the newer design transmission, and I also follow the maintainance schedule every 15k miles, and I expect mine to go well past 100,000 miles as well.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "I would like to see Honda build a AWD TSX sized sedan. But since I wouldn't plan on racing or anything, they wouldn't have to go forced induction to catch my attention. The EVO and STI have the "fast engine but cheap interior" thing down. I wouldn't mind a high content and competent handling performance sedan." - Gee35coupe

The other day I was thinking that an Accord Coupe with the RL's engine and SH-AWD might be an interesting alternative to the Evo and WRX market. This wouldn't be cheap (stripped at $30K), but neither are the others. The fact that it'd be a coupe and relatively spartan should keep it out of Acura's hair.
    I've got an '01 TL. Tranny went at 64,000 miles. It probably has another 10,000 on it now.

I don't like the fact that the tranny is suspect. But it's the only problem my wife and I have had. I could be having the same problems with any car out there, plus issues with a dozen other systems in the car.
    fair enough driftracer. On the case of my mid 90's accord, 90K miles is about the life span of the Honda auto trans in a lot of applications. Hopefully my Pilot would last as long as that. However all us Honda owners should pressure Honda to give us 100K warranties out the door, because we now know that their product isn't really a 100K product, and is just like any other car, except for premium pricing
    "we now know that their product isn't really a 100K product"

I'd place a year's salary on a Honda product, properly maintained, going 200,000 miles, before ANY other make of vehicle on the planet.

If that statement isn't stronger than three acres of green onions, I don't know what is.
    I don't think an Accord Coupe with RL engine and SH-AWD will be 30. The accord coupe V6 is ALREADY close to 30 as it is. Throw in the RL engine and SH-AWD, and I'm sure it'll be stepping all over the TL's toes. I think it would be easier to throw the SH-AWD on the TL, considering it already has 270 ponies. That is unless you want the coupe version, but Acura got rid of the CL because of lack of sales, so I wouldn't count on Honda spending more money on the accord coupe...
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    driftracer: If that statement isn't stronger than three acres of green onions, I don't know what is.

I'm going to remember that statement for future debates, not to mention my job! That one may come in handy.

From what I've seen, the Honda automatics hooked up to the four-cylinders (except for the Prelude) seem to have no problems. I've never owned a V-6 Honda, so I can't say for certain, but the three four-cylinder Civics (1993, 1996 and 1999 models) I had were all traded at 90,000 miles, and the automatics were giving no problems whatsoever.
    stronger than 3 acres of green onions, stronger than death, strong enough to knock a buzzard off a gut wagon...

You're welcome to all of my phrases....
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    "Ah, I had to look very closely to that article that calisimo posted.

If that's true about the 2.4L, quite a few folks in here are going to have head over to the "Eating Crow on Edmunds" message board. I don't need to name names, you know who you are. LMAO. ;)"

Newcar, I've been away a few days so couldn't reply earlier. Before making others eat crow, make sure you don't get to eat a year's supply of crow yourself. If you would remember, I was ready to bet you that the 2006 Civic LX/EX would not have more than a 140-150HP engine (again, veriants picked by you, since you never wanted to take the Si into consideration). I am still ready for the bet, and let's see with the 06 version of Civic, who gets to eat crow, before we make judgements on that. Fair, right?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    newcar and fair go together in a sentence like GM and no rebates. Just ain't happenin'.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I've 1998 Accord, with about 110K miles on it. I had been planning on replacing it, but lately, have decided to keep it for a while. Not even a squeak is to be heard. If you were/are in Dallas area, you would be welcome to take a ride in it and figure it out for yourself.
    I don't think an Accord Coupe with RL engine and SH-AWD will be 30. The accord coupe V6 is ALREADY close to 30 as it is.

Accord Coupe EXV6 carries a price tag of $26K. That’s a loaded car (except NAV). For another $4K, SH-AWD and a 300 HP/V6 should be possible (Acura 3.5/V6 and the Honda 3.0/V6 belong to the same family of engines).

And even if it approached $32K, it wouldn't "step on" TL, because of lack of conveniences (2 doors, rear seat room etc).
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "If you would remember, I was ready to bet you that the 2006 Civic LX/EX would not have more than a 140-150HP engine (again, veriants picked by you, since you never wanted to take the Si into consideration). I am still ready for the bet, and let's see with the 06 version of Civic, who gets to eat crow, before we make judgements on that. Fair, right?"

Hey, there were people in here saying that no Civic would ever get a 2.4L.

"(again, veriants picked by you, since you never wanted to take the Si into consideration)."

You keep bringing that up. I never took the Si into consideration because I never thought it needed more power....but it's getting more anyway.

I thought the Civic sedan could use a bump in power. Then everyone points me to the Si. Great! That makes sense? It's not a sedan! I keep talking about the sedan and you folks keep pointing me to a 3 door hatchback. Call me when the shuttle lands people.
    The post read, "stripped at $30K".

The CL was aimed a different buyer. It came with leather seats and near luxury appointments that would not have attracted the crowd interested in Evos and WRXs. (You're lucky to get a radio in some of those.) And while the CL was a very competent car, it did nothing outrageous within it's segment.

A 300 hp Accord Coupe with an AWD system that is arguably the best on the market, is another animal.

Of course, Acura should offer a TL with SH-AWD at least one year prior to this hypothetical Accord model, but I don't see the two competing.
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    "I thought the Civic sedan could use a bump in power. Then everyone points me to the Si. Great! That makes sense? It's not a sedan! I keep talking about the sedan and you folks keep pointing me to a 3 door hatchback. Call me when the shuttle lands people."

And we said that it would get a bump, but not the kind of bump that you were suggesting. And that's what the 'eating crow' thing was about.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    that Honda hopes to sell 60,000 a year of the new RDX. That is more than half the volume of either the CRV or the HL (both non-premium brands, I am aware) and almost as many as the Element sells each year, if I am not mistaken. Might be a little ambitious...unless the RDX steals sales from the larger MDX (buyers who wanted an Acura crossover but didn't need all the space of the MDX).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I read the same article (Detroit News). I figure it's going to take quite a few sales from the MDX, while the MDX moves up to the $40-55K bracket.
    "And we said that it would get a bump, but not the kind of bump that you were suggesting. And that's what the 'eating crow' thing was about."

Lol, YOU never said anything like that. Let me see if I can dig up some of YOUR words:

"Much as I hope that the new Civic is sportier, I haev a feeling that may not entirely be the case. The recent cosmetic changes in the Acura RSX clearly are conservative, with teh kinks below the headlamps and taillamps being taken away. I much prefered the pre 2005 look, and if this is the policy Honda wants to follow, then I rally don't see anything radical happening to the Civic."

And:

"The Civic is an economical, sporty compact car, with a sport version available (Si), so Honda believes the engines in each trim are are sufficient, and so do 300,000 buyers each year. Even with the 06 Civic, I don't expect the Civic to be pushing 160HP, as clearly in Honda's and the target segment's view, what they have is more than sufficient."

Hmmm. 127 hp. More than sufficient. I disagree.

The whole time I was talking about the EX line of Civic not adding much hp in over 10 years....and it hasn't.

Then you and others REPEATEDLY pointed me towards the Civic Si, saying that I was ignoring the Si for the sake of my argument.

You're right, I am ignoring the Si because:

1. I personally don't think it needs more power

2. It's not a sedan or coupe.

I've pointed this out many times, yet for some reason, you keep telling me about the Si.

Here's me:

I think the sedan and coupe could use more power, they haven't improved much in over 10 years as far as power is concerned.

Here's you:

But the Si....you're ignoring the Si....the Si...the Si....

??????????????

Lol! I give up!
    Before we get carried away on that, we have to remember that that car was not a U.S. model. Different parts of the word get different equipment and models. For example there is a Civic sedan in Malaysia with the i-vtec 2.0 already.

http://www.honda.net.my/hondaweb/news_newcivic.html
    have you seen where Honda has made any kind of announcement about the RDX's price? They quote the competition as the X3 and something else I forget, and quote the prices of those two, with the X3 being lower at a base of $30K. Will Honda beat it with the RDX, do you think? I would think they would need to. Maybe sell it for about the same price as the TSX: $27/29K depending on NAV. I wonder if it would steal any TSX sales in that case. Not that Honda is staking much on the success or failure of the TSX - it was just a pleasant surprise for them when that sold much better than expected.

Imagine how much better sales would have been for them in the 90s if instead of having a four-door Integra (which fizzled in sales) they had brought the Euro Accord over earlier.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I expect Acura RDX to be placed in $30-35K price class. It will appeal to people who may not be ready to spend $37K-44K on MDX, pretty much like TSX is to TL.

It might take some sales away from both, TSX and TL, but at the same time, may attract a few new buyers.
    "But the Si....you're ignoring the Si....the Si...the Si...."

It's not that we don't hear you. It's the fact that you're asking for a very specific niche vehicle. You're not wrong. You're just chasing something so specific nobody else cares. Honda certainly isn't going to grant every single wish on every single buyer's mind.

Now, I'm begging you... PLEASE get over it.
    It was the BMW X3 and the Infiniti FX35.

I think Acura is playing the same game they did when they compared the TL with the base 5 series. Instead of being a direct competitor with those two SUVs, the RDX will come at the market from the same position as the TSX. It'll cost slightly less, with less engine, but a nice, fully loaded interior.

In SAT terminology... RDX is to X3 as TSX is to 3 Series.

My guestimate on price is $30K fully loaded with AWD. NAV adds another $2K. While the base price of a X3 is about $30K, that's a stripped vehicle.
    "Imagine how much better sales would have been for them in the 90s if instead of having a four-door Integra (which fizzled in sales) they had brought the Euro Accord over earlier."

Euro Accord type R <drooling>

http://www.poweredbyhonda.org/atre.html
    "It's not that we don't hear you."

Clearly, some of you don't hear me, or don't understand what I am talking about. If you did, you wouldn't continue to harp on me about ignoring the Si.

"It's the fact that you're asking for a very specific niche vehicle."

Asking for more power in the EX sedan is asking for a "very specific niche vehicle"? Honestly? Are you serious?

"Now, I'm begging you... PLEASE get over it."

Hey, I am over it, I was over it a while ago, until 03accordman brought the subject up again.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Here's the big question mark--what platform is the upcoming Acura RDX SUV based on?

Will it be a derivative of the Accord platform like the MDX/Pilot? Will be derived from the CR-V small SUV? Or (my guess) will it be derived from the recently introduced FR-V/Edix "tall wagon" now on sale in Europe and Japan?
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "And Hyundai is still absolutely hoorible, I don't care what JD Powers says...JD Powers obviously doesn't have contact with the same Hyundai owners I do."

Sales for Hyundai has been up each year since 1998. You are telling me about lemon law cases but they get more customers each year so how can their cars be that bad as you are saying from a reliability standpoint? Consumer Reports also says Hyundai reliability is on the uprise.

"I deal with 2000-2004 model cars and speaking of Hyundai's their warranty has nothing to do with reliability-it's a sales too(I think you meant tool) thats all. Elantras, Sonatas and Stanta Fe Transsmissions, still drop like flies, just like they did in the 90's."

I know Hyundai had tranny issue's with their cars in the 90's. One guy I know had I think a last generation Elantra with 120K on it and just got rid of it in the first half of this year. You are telling me Hyundai's are bad just like in the 90s yet people still buy Hyundai's in 2004. I'm not disagreeing with you saying they aren't 5600 lemon law cases under your belt with Hyundai but people keep on buying Hyundai's so if they are as bad of a product that you are saying that they are why do people continue to buy them.?

BTw, you have 48,000 cases with Hyundai or other maunufacturers as well? Can you clarify more for me?
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "However all us Honda owners should pressure Honda to give us 100K warranties out the door, because we know that their product isn't really a 100K product, its just like any other car, exceot for premium pricing"

First off I do have my 100K warranty for my 02 Acura CL. Second off premium prcing you sound like my father. When I was looking at a 2001 Accord Coupe he was like you can get a domestic for cheaper(I was thinking about shopping a Dodge Stratus at the time as well.) Its's like the reason why the domesics gets discounted so much is because they use cheap interior plastics in their cars. I agree each car company has its problems as far as reliability goes but the domestic's had falied to do the little things that the Japanese do so well with cars. I think the domestics have learned in the past few years the "little things" do matter in cars though. Chrysler;s have had always alright interiors. GM's not until 2003 when the new Caddy;s came out did they learn about the little things in cars. Ford's: was not a fan of the oval themed interior's of the mid to late 90's Tarus's and Escorts. I am not of fan of the 2000-2004 Ford Focus interior at all either. Finally as far as Honda not being an 100k product: I see 1990-1993 and 1994-1997 Accord's with tons of miles on them. One of the guys at my work racked up about 230K on his 1990 Accord and just got rid of it last year.
    It's had all the EGR valve problem and that's about it. Tranny seems to still be running strong. I think to try to make a blanket statement like that when ALL data seems to be pointing in the other direction kills all credibility.
    Hyundai is selling more vehicles because they advertise heavily, both aimed at warranty buyers and substandard credit buyers - their perfect buyer is one with poor credit who can't afford regular repairs...making these vehicles exceptionally attractive. Combine that with the fact that Hyundai Credit with finance just about anyone with a paycheck and can fog a mirror, and you have great bounds of sales - there are MANY credit criminal buyers out there, trust me on that one...

Oh, and they're CHEAP - by every meaning of the word. CHEAP sells. Just don't try to trade it or sell it in the first 4-5 years of ownership and you'll do fine.

Sure, Hyundai has improved, and many magazine editors have noticed the improvements - while you'll certainly read many praises that Hyundai has improved in quality, you still don't (and won't) hear that they're surpassing anyone but Kia in overall (not initial, that's worthless) quality.

So, they've improved, but I don't think Honda is worried about losing their place on the podium.

I have personally handled 5,600 lemon law cases - about 900 of those have been from Hyundai and Kia - ironic, because 20 out of 30 cases I do each week are GM vehicles (by contract), so that doesn't leave much room for the rest of the cars on the planet.

The primary firm I consult for has handled 48,000 lemon law cases since I came aboard - that doesn't count the ones handled prior to March 2001, and they've been doing this since 1990.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    So what happened about that rumor of a Honda/acura hybrid SUV? Is there still any chance that the RDX will be hybrid?

Or will the next hybrid be a Pilot/MDX?
    The Pilot/MDX will be the next hybrid, I am sure. Certainly Honda has not announced anything that would indicate that they are planning on offering the RDX as a hybrid.

And the RDX will be built at the same plant that builds the NA Accord, so I wonder if this means they are on the same platform? It wouldn't necessarily mean that, but they might put them at the same plant so as to be able to mix up build ratios among the models with minimal fuss.

If the article I read that detailed the RDX said anything about its platform, I either missed it or forgot already. Although I have gotten the strong impression that despite my early thinking that it would be logical for the RDX to be on the same platform as the CRV, actually it is not.

I agree with you, varmint. The RDX will have to come in about 10% less pricey than a comparable X3. Which is what got me thinking the base cloth-seated, non-NAV, FWD model should be around $27K, with the usual +$1K for leather, and +$2K each for AWD and NAV.

It could be Honda's light truck platform (Odyssey, Ridgeline, Pilot, MDX) or Midsize Car platform (Accord, TSX, TL, RL), or Compact Car platform (unlikely IMO, as in "current" CR-V, Element, Civic, RSX), or perhaps a new small light truck platform ("future" CR-V, Element etc).

At this time, it would be anybody's guess. The word "platform" itself is becoming meaningless by the day, since there is little substance to its definition now, not just with Honda, with any automaker.

RDX is supposed to be produced in Ohio, if it is Marysville, sharing production line with TL and Accord. And if it is East Liberty, sharing production line with Civic, Element, and guess what... Accord.

I suspect next CR-V could sit on a different platform than it does now (compact car), and this new platform could begin its life with RDX.
    I doubt Acura will offer cloth seats with any vehicle but base RSX. RDX is likely to carry leather and all, with NAV as the only option in typical Acura style.

As for engine choices, K24 remains a strong possibility with 190-210 HP, with possible hybridization in the future (if not right out of the gates). But I wouldn't rule out implementation of J-series V6 either (J30 to be specific). The latter could allow for use of VTM-4 (or SH-AWD) which is something I believe RDX should have (instead of RT-4WD).
    so you think they will not offer FWD RDXs, but rather only AWD ones? This would fly in the face of what most other car companies are doing, and even with what Honda does with its own small utes. OTOH, if they DO offer a FWD RDX, I would expect it to be about $2K less than a same-equipment AWD.

For some reason I was thinking that there was a TSX available without leather, but if all the TSXs are leather-seated, then I am sure you are right that all the RDXs will be too.

I will be greatly surprised if Acura offered FWD RDX w/cloth as a base model. It wouldn't be typical Acura practice. I expect all the basic frills that TSX comes with, and add AWD to it (hopefully, VTM-4 or SH-AWD), with a potential price tag in the vicinity of $30K.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I suspect next CR-V could sit on a different platform than it does now (compact car), and this new platform could begin its life with RDX.

If you've seen the original Acura RD-X concept car from 2002, you will note that the platorm of that vehicle appears to have evolved into what we see as the Honda FR-V/Edix that just recently went on sale in Europe and Japan. This is why I suspect that the FR-V/Edix may be using the same platform that will be used in a modified form for the next-generation Honda Civic and could also be used for the Acura RDX small SUV. I've seen a few spy pictures of the final exterior design of the RDX that will be shown at NAIAS next month, and it does bear some resemblence to the FR-V/Edix design.

I'm not sure if Honda wants to design the RDX around the Accord platform, since that could result in quite a heavier car, not good for Honda's image as a "green" car company.
This discussion has been closed.