Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• levgonlevgon Member Posts: 2
    I paid full MD state sales tax. I did a quick check on MD tax incentives and it apears the program you're refering to expired in 2004.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Yeah, you'll pay the full 5% Sales Tax. That measure which was due to expire in July 04 was allowed to lapse. On the other hand the tax write off is much better for 06 than 04-05 so that is something to figure in.
  • mynewhybridmynewhybrid Member Posts: 2
    Used UBS and got Opal Blue HCH w/o Nav for $20960 (it was available on the lot!). My OTD price was $22781 including splash guards, Day/Night Mirror with Compass, pinstriping, wheel locks, taxes, tags, and Registration. Pretty happy with Coleman Honda in Clarksville, Maryland! They weren't a UBS dealer, but they met the price and threw in some of the extras.

Afterward, got 7 yr/120K $0 Hondacares Bumper-to-bumper warranty for $899 on the internet at hondawarrantyinfo.
  • mycivicmycivic Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr automatic for $20,183. This included tax, title, dealer fees, registration and tags. I purchased it from White Plains Honda in NY. I had no trade and paid cash.

$18,664 - Price including $550 destination charge
    $1376.47 - sales tax at 7.375%
    $67.50 - misc fees such as tire fee, etc
    $75.00 - registration and new tags.
    $20,182.97 - total out the door and into my garage
  • vp16vp16 Member Posts: 23
    Just went to Vandergriff Honda in Arlington. They are selling the hybrids at MSRP. However, they are tagging on unwanted add-ons such as window tinting, lojack, and some protection package. They are not willing to sell without these add-ons. They say they add these onto all their new cars. This is their way to gouge the consumer for a thousand or so more ABOVE the MSRP. Of course they give you the song and dance act about demand. I opted to be patient and wait a bit longer. The supply WILL increase. I would much rather wait or call around different dealers than to give these unscrupulous people at Vandergriff your hard earned money. You would be a fool to deal with these folks as they think you are one.
  • cableguy2cableguy2 Member Posts: 1
    Just had some of the worst experiences of car buying ever on a new Honda Civic. California dealers want 2000 - 3000 over sticker as a premium. One online dealer in Simi Valley constantly shows inventory of 5 vehicles of every color with Nav but truth is they have none. Want to put you on a waiting list. Internet sales person at Honda North. They are a Penske dealership and I understand it is a policy of Penske stores that they are not allowed to charge over sticker. Dealers want to put you on a waiting list to get you off the market by getting you to think they are ordering something for you. These waiting lists sometimes are used for when they do get a unit in they call down the list to see who is willing to pay how much for a vehicle. Not all dealers are like this but I would beware of getting on a list from a dealer who is charging anyone over sticker. If you shop around you will find that some dealers are not ripping you off by adding additional mark up. Rock Honda which advertises a lot in California is $2500.00 premium. Worst experience was with Spirit Honda which shows 4 vehicles in stock with Hybrid and nav. Internet deal was $2000.00 over sticker and offered me $3000.00 less on my trade than two other dealers that were at sticker price without any up charge. Finally My local dealer had a Hybrid base unit who did a dealer trade for a Hybrid with Nav and sold me at window sticker and gave me a fair value on my trade compared to others. That dealer is Barber Honda in Bakersfield. The outlying dealers seem better to deal with that the big city dealers. I don't think anyone should pay over sticker. Let the inventory build up and watch them come down on price.
  • harfharf Member Posts: 11
    With a dealer in austin, texas, I am getting a deal of 300 below msrp only. Anyone do any better ?? No one seems to have any in stock ...
  • nickihaaknickihaak Member Posts: 7
    No-I live in Austin and they are not coming down on the Hybrid or the Reg Civic? DEMAND!DEMAND!
    Thats all I'm getting.
    I been Checking Houston, San Antonio and Dallas, No LUCK?
    I was told to wait in the reg Civic forum until the DEMAND slows down?
    Greedy Honda..... :mad:
    If you find something post it-I'll do the same
    nickihaak.

Regular civic is bargainable..

walk in drive it around.. invest some time picking out what you want ...

start with telling them you wanna pay invoice and show them your preapproved letter..

But hybrid is another story. With most of these with deposits before them months in advance .. its difficult.

I did manage to get one for 300 $ below msrp and total is coming to 24K out the door. Just car no other crap on it.
    Its not greed...and you're going to hate to hear this but it is demand.

We receive almost 500 Internet inquiries per month, out of those almost 1/3 are for Civics...in all forms. Thats just our Internet Dept and does not reflect the "Retail" side.

When Honda allocates me 40 per month and out of those 40 I get 6-8 Hybrids and gas goes to $3.00...do the math.

Now, can I say something to you and to everyone else here?

You ALL knew that gas was going to go up. You have known this for over a year...and it will contuinue to do so later this summer and next year and so on.

If you have your mind set on a Hybrid...find a dealer you can work with and order EXACTLY what you want. Sure there will be a wait, but if this is the car you definately want, just order it and wait for it to be built and come in.

Sorry to sound harsh, but the reality is the gas situation is crap for the long haul I'm afraid.
  • rysa4rysa4 Member Posts: 9
    Bought mine for 21850 ( sticker at the time) plus 150 for non-desired non-optional options. This does not include a destination charge, TTL, "dealers inventory tax" ( puulease!), 50 $ doc fee. Unfortunately, the car and color were a rare bird and I wanted to replace my much more expensive to drive and maintain Volvo so I basically paid sticker plus 150.

Went to pick up my plates today and rove around the lot; NO hybrid civics, a few regular civics, one Fit, and a gazillion of everything else. The writing is on the wall.
  • jim3mwjim3mw Member Posts: 2
    I got ripped off at Lia Honda of Northampton, MA. They lied to me at several points when purchasing the car, and I had no way to check the information. They told me I'd receive a tax credit, but it was a tax deduction (in 2005) - amounting to $1500 out of my pocket. They also told me 2005 was the last year any tax breaks would be in effect - when in fact the breaks in 2006 are better. I've tried to work it out with them, and they told me to go take a hike. DO NOT shop at Lia Honda of Northampton MA (www.liacars.com) - they have no respect for customers. By the time I'm done paying for the car, it will cost me almost $30K.
  • akcakc Member Posts: 8
    I bought my HCH w/o Nav 2 months ago, from Russell Smith Honda in Houston and got $500 off MSRP. Excellant Internet sales dept. I had to wait about 4 weeks for the car to get here. But now, it would be more difficult to get this price.
  • rysa4rysa4 Member Posts: 9
    DId you pay for any options?
    The only option on the car is the one I asked for (tinted windows, which in Texas is really a requirement not an option) The reason my experience was good because there was no pressure at all by the dealer to sell any options, nor any financing or extended warranty.
    I also got 1% discount from my credit union for buying a hybrid, so my break even point is earlier than most HCH buyers.
  • jackmackjackmack Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased an 06 CIvic Hybrid w/ Navi today at Honda of Superstition Springs/ The MSRP was 24 200 with extras it came out 25,780. They had 3 on the premises when I went in at about 11 AM they had 2 w Nave and by the time I had mine they told me all 3 were sold, I had just been to the Toyota dealer next door and they didnt have Prius on the lot and said they could add me to the waiting list, and the Totoya was about 4,000.00more. They took me for 299.00 doc fee with I thought was way out of line. I did buy the 5 yr warranty only because of the new technology of hybrids, but they wanted 695.00 for it and I said that was too much so they immediatly came down to 495.00. Like to hear about your experiencies.
    Got me a silver hybrid without nav today.

Paid about 330$ below msrp (around 22370)

Also added 8 year 120K warranty with 0 deductible for 1000 even.

Total with tax, title, destination and extended warranty came to about 25K.
    1% below regular rate ??

Which credit union did you use ?

What interest rate are you getting ??

thanks
  • jguarfnjguarfn Member Posts: 5
    My wife has been fed up with the gas prices and the Ody. It's our second and we've only had it a year. Went into Perfection Honda in Rio Rancho NM and asked if they had any Civic Hybrids as we saw one at the car show here last week. They had 1 with Nav that we could take a look at. 3 hours later we have traded the Ody for the Hybrid at nearly the same payment we came in with and no money down. Didn't really care about the Navigation system but after reading the stuff on how it works I hope the wife will let me drive it. Our price was around 25K as well. Passed on the warranty, we count on them having figured it out by now, with 3 years of hybrid civics under their belt.
    Jguarfn :shades:
    Got 4.09% vs 5.09%. Credit Union through my employer
    only managed 5.2% even though have a good credit score.
  • rabergncrabergnc Member Posts: 1
    Bought an 06 Hybrid yesterday for 22800 plus tax, title, license. The price includes a set of non-option options as well as what the salesperson said was the dealership owner's "play money". I have my choice of 2 colors (Magnetic - not seen that yet or Silver). I get to look at the Magnetic when it comes in next week and decide if I like the color - the dealer has not had one of those yet. I was lucky enough to be there just after an unsold Hybrid with Nav was offloaded from a truck. Got to test drive it with the plastic still in place. I did not want the Nav system or would have bought that unit. It was sold within 30 minutes after I berought it back to the lot! I look forward to getting the car next week.
  • melsinctmelsinct Member Posts: 11
    Here in Connecticut, it seems as though you can buy the hybrid for MSRP, no less. A question I have is what is American Honda Finance offering for interest rates these days for people with good/excellent credit for 4 and 5 year loans? It is hard for me to figure out what I want to do without having a percentage rate. Once I find out Honda’s offered rate, then I can go to my bank and see if they can beat it.
    The rates keep on getting higher, it seems like every other week there is an increase.

I would submit an aplication with the dealership where you plan on purchasing the Hybrid, at the same time contact your crdit union and apply there.
  • pmzpmz Member Posts: 26
    Just reserved HCH w/ Navi from Dealer in Longmont, CO. Paid MSRP - no options, no fees, no hassle. Expect delivery late June.

I'm happy.
  • butchinvabutchinva Member Posts: 4
    I had had a 1994 Civic LX (my beloved Betsy), and when she started to edge a quarter of a million miles, I decided that with as much driving as I'd be doing in the coming months and years, it was time to go hybrid (since I can't go ethanol fuel cell - yet). I knew I couldn't afford and didn't want a new one, so I started looking around for used ones. This was in January '06, and I started looking for a good used '03. After much searching online (there were zero in my mainly rural part of southwest Virginia), I quickly figured out that a) I was going to have to drive someplace to get one, and b) I was going to pretty much have to pay the book price, or possibly a bit more. But kismet stepped in, and I found the exact car I was looking for at www.cars.com. I emailed the owner, and (kind of scary - sight unseen) I offered to buy from him. He had posted about 8 photos of the car, inside and out, in his cars.com ad, so I was pretty confident in what I was getting. He was in the DC metro area, which is about 4 hours from me. I rented a car (a Toyota Matrix - what a rattle box POS!) and drove up, cashier's check in hand. I haven't looked back since! That was 21 Jan 06, and since then I've put over 7,000 miles on the car (which had 49,733 when I got it), and absolutely love it.
  • sumnsumn Member Posts: 1
    Everywhere I go, in Tampa, I get the story that the car is extremely rare. The best deal I've gotten is 600 below MSRP. The car is so rare, that it was on the lot for several weeks. I mean, it's a 4 door compact car, not a Shelby GT.

In any case, one dealer even asked for 22K, which is about 700 over MSRP due to the "rarity". I've tried asking for the TMV, but most dealerships don't even care. I'm beginning to wonder how accurate TMV really is. The invoice price is 19,532, the MSRP is 21,310 and TMV is 20,480.

Anyone else face similar frustrations? Sometimes I wish I could just buy direct from the manufacturer at invoice to get rid of the middleman.
  • kapenakapena Member Posts: 1
    One reluntance I had to trading in my Accord or a 2006 Civic Hybrid was the lack of options that I like on my car - leather interior, and moon roof.
    Well at my dealership, both were available through companies that the dealership worked with, and backed their products.
    So I was able to get a leather interior and a moon roof with my new civic hybrid.
  • cooljwcooljw Member Posts: 47
    Anyone shopping in SoCal? Cush Honda in Carlsbad shows 10 Civics on their website in inventory (2 Hybrids, 8 conventional). I checked a few weeks ago and it seems like they always have several Civics and a few hybrids on the lot.
  • captb93captb93 Member Posts: 3
    I picked up my 2006 HCH yesterday at Prescott Honda for MSRP. No hassles and a very pleasant buying experience. For you CA residents: The salesman says he sells cars to CA residents who fly in to Prescott and drive the car home to CA. This appears to be a viable option for Californians who are having a problem finding a reasonably priced HCH.

Did a 16 mile test drive with the salesman and averaged 51MPG. :)
  • jeffeynboojeffeynboo Member Posts: 1
    Kapena,
    Did you purchase your Civic Hybrid in So. Cal? I'm looking for the same options as you found. Also, did these aftermarket options void any warranties?
  • greendriver74greendriver74 Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 2006 HCH in Feb '06 - paid 21650, got the special 4.99% financing deal from American Honda.
    Any other buyers from the NJ/NY/CT/PA area care to comment ?
  • justinehjustineh Member Posts: 1
    don't buy from miller honda santa monica.
  • qixqix Member Posts: 1
    Can you get the PZEV emissions equipment installed if you are not in one of the states requiring such equipment? One of the selling points (in my opinion) of the HCH is that it has the equipment if you buy it in California. However, I suspect buying elsewhere will result in greater emissions...
  • resistresist Member Posts: 2
    Why purchase the extended warranty when the only part of the Hybrid system you need to worry about (battery pack), already has an outrageously long warranty.
  • calvinkarencalvinkaren Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone, I just bought a 2006 HCH from Tempe Honda. I try to register in California and I have hard time to pass smog check. According to the Smog Test Technician, analizer does not allow to run the two idle speed test and vehicle can not run on the dynomonitor. He refers me to get a referee test. Does anyone know where and how I can get the smog check passed :( :confuse: ?
  • resistresist Member Posts: 2
    I thought Hybrids were pretty much exempt from smog checks now. My 2001 Insight has never been smogged in California yet.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The following vehicles have been exempted from biennial and change-of-ownership Smog Check inspections until January 1, 2010:
    Honda Insight – all model years
    Honda Civic Hybrid – all model years
    Toyota Prius – all model years
    Ford Escape Hybrid - all model years
    Honda Accord Hybrid - all model years
    Lexus RX 400h - all model years
    Note that this exemption DOES NOT include all Honda Civics and all Ford Escapes. Only Civic Hybrids with VIN characters 4 through 8 being either “ES956” or “ES966” are currently exempt, and only Escape Hybrids with VIN characters 5 through 7 being either "U95" or "U96" are currently exempt.

Technicians: Do not conduct a Smog Check inspection on these vehicles whether directed by DMV or for change of ownership. Have the motorist contact a DMV field office if they have been directed by a DMV registration notice to obtain a Smog Check.

Hybrid-Electric vehicles (HEVs) represent an innovative clean-air and fuel-efficient technology. BAR intends to encourage the use of vehicles that will have a smaller detrimental impact on the environment.

HEV emissions performance cannot be appropriately determined by current Smog Check inspection procedures. BAR plans to create new testing procedures that are specifically applicable to HEVs and will be used beginning in 2010.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/smogcheck/hybrid.htm
  • calvinkarencalvinkaren Member Posts: 6
    Thank you very much for the information. I am going to show it to DMV. :D
  • dk_wattsdk_watts Member Posts: 1
    hey all, please note Tracy Honda in central vally Cali is dirty too. Internet guys there sucker you in with a matching competitive price and "bad cop" GM tries to switch and bait you! Someone like that is bound to run in to the "wrong" customer one day and regret it!
  • lindoug99lindoug99 Member Posts: 1
    I just paid sticker price $24,200 including destination charge and navigation.
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    Real world numbers. How much $$ does it take to replace the battery in a hybrid... and how often does one need to????
    If you live in CA or a CARB state it is guaranteed for 150K miles or 10 Yrs, if the hybrid is rated AT-PZEV. It seems to be a deep guarded secret for some reason. The only price sheet I have seen someone posted on the first gen Prius. The battery was $4200 if memory serves me right. One Insight owner was stuck buying a battery after the warranty was up and it was close to $5000. Not sure if he replaced it or just sold the Insight as salvage. I did not see him post again.
  • bluesman125bluesman125 Member Posts: 13
    ...because we needed a replacement car, and we'd decided on the HCH.

Nobody is dealing on the price here. NOBODY. We checked each of the nine Honda dealers within reasonable driving distance of us, and unless they've got some sort of price-fixing 'cartel' thang goin', it is exactly as they say: demand is so great and supply is so low that if a buyer won't pay sticker, they'll try to switch you to a regular Civic and sell the Hybrid to somebody that will.

Like us, for instance. $24,200 Before ttl.

GREAT car, though.
  • graham766graham766 Member Posts: 12
    Might be worth it to try the Internet Dept. at Honda of Lake Norman, Huntersville, NC.
  • graham766graham766 Member Posts: 12
    IR-2006-86, June 1, 2006

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service has acknowledged the certification by American Honda Motor Company, Inc. that several of its vehicles meet the requirements of the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit as a qualified hybrid motor vehicle. The tax credit for hybrid vehicles applies to vehicles purchased on or after Jan. 1, 2006, and could be as much as $3,400 for those who purchase the most fuel-efficient vehicles.

The hybrid vehicle certifications recently acknowledged by the IRS and their credit amounts are:

Honda Civic Hybrid CVT Model Year 2006 — $2,100.00
    Honda Civic Hybrid (SULEV) MT Model Year 2005 — $1,700.00
    Honda Civic Hybrid (SULEV) CVT Model Year 2005 — $1,700.00
    Honda Insight CVT Model Year 2005 — $1,450.00
    Honda Insight CVT Model Year 2006 — $1,450.00
    Honda Accord Hybrid AT Model Year 2006 — $1,300.00*
    Honda Accord Hybrid AT Model Year 2005 — $650.00

*2006 Honda Accord Hybrid AT without updated control calibration qualifies for a credit amount of $650.

Starting in 2006, the tax credit replaces the tax deduction of $2,000, which was previously allowed for taxpayers who purchased a new hybrid vehicle before
    December 31, 2005. The tax credit requires a different certification. Many currently available hybrid vehicles may qualify for this new tax credit.

Consumers seeking the credit may want to buy early since the full credit is only available for a limited time. Taxpayers may claim the full amount of the allowable credit up to the end of the first calendar quarter after the quarter in which the manufacturer records its sale of the 60,000th vehicle. For the second and third calendar quarters after the quarter in which the 60,000th vehicle is sold, taxpayers may claim 50 percent of the credit. For the fourth and fifth calendar quarters, taxpayers may claim 25 percent of the credit. No credit is allowed after the fifth quarter.
  • muljmulj Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in getting a Civic Hybrid, live in San Francisco Bay Area; any recommendation on which dealer to deal with and prices to expected?

Thanks
  • midwestmikemidwestmike Member Posts: 1
    My daughter bought the 06 last year, and loves it. I still haven't got to drive it! She's afraid I'll wreck it I guess :)
  • forgeforge Member Posts: 3
    Am I missing something here? The tax credit makes a HCH ROI positive, in addition to being environmentally desirable.

I have a couple of dealers where I can get a Mag Pearl HCH w/o Navigation. It seems that I can get them for around $400 under invoice, but don't know if that is the fair market rate.

Regardless, assume that the HCH goes for $22,300. Subtract the $2100 tax credit and your cost is $20,200. A Civic EX lists at $19,800. Assume you can get it for $800 under list and it comes to $19000. The difference is only $1,200 between the hybrid and the EX (not counting ttl). At 15k to 20k miles per year, the Hybrid pays for itself in about three years based on gas savings.

Why wouldn't you buy a hybrid? Why would Honda expect to sell any EX's then??? Am I wrong on this??

Kurt
    Why wouldn't you buy a hybrid?

If you can get the HCH under invoice it is a great deal. Most dealers in CA are charging over MSRP. The one I looked at was sold at $2000 over MSRP. That wipes out the tax credit. And makes the hybrid about $5000 over a comparable Civic EX. You are the first person I know of that got a discount from MSRP on the HCH. Have fun with your new car.