Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lindoug99lindoug99 Posts: 1
    I just paid sticker price $24,200 including destination charge and navigation.
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Posts: 113
    Real world numbers. How much $$ does it take to replace the battery in a hybrid... and how often does one need to????
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,891
    If you live in CA or a CARB state it is guaranteed for 150K miles or 10 Yrs, if the hybrid is rated AT-PZEV. It seems to be a deep guarded secret for some reason. The only price sheet I have seen someone posted on the first gen Prius. The battery was $4200 if memory serves me right. One Insight owner was stuck buying a battery after the warranty was up and it was close to $5000. Not sure if he replaced it or just sold the Insight as salvage. I did not see him post again.
  • ...because we needed a replacement car, and we'd decided on the HCH.

Nobody is dealing on the price here. NOBODY. We checked each of the nine Honda dealers within reasonable driving distance of us, and unless they've got some sort of price-fixing 'cartel' thang goin', it is exactly as they say: demand is so great and supply is so low that if a buyer won't pay sticker, they'll try to switch you to a regular Civic and sell the Hybrid to somebody that will.

Like us, for instance. $24,200 Before ttl.

GREAT car, though.
  • graham766graham766 Posts: 12
    Might be worth it to try the Internet Dept. at Honda of Lake Norman, Huntersville, NC.
  • graham766graham766 Posts: 12
    IR-2006-86, June 1, 2006

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service has acknowledged the certification by American Honda Motor Company, Inc. that several of its vehicles meet the requirements of the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit as a qualified hybrid motor vehicle. The tax credit for hybrid vehicles applies to vehicles purchased on or after Jan. 1, 2006, and could be as much as $3,400 for those who purchase the most fuel-efficient vehicles.

The hybrid vehicle certifications recently acknowledged by the IRS and their credit amounts are:

Honda Civic Hybrid CVT Model Year 2006 — $2,100.00
    Honda Civic Hybrid (SULEV) MT Model Year 2005 — $1,700.00
    Honda Civic Hybrid (SULEV) CVT Model Year 2005 — $1,700.00
    Honda Insight CVT Model Year 2005 — $1,450.00
    Honda Insight CVT Model Year 2006 — $1,450.00
    Honda Accord Hybrid AT Model Year 2006 — $1,300.00*
    Honda Accord Hybrid AT Model Year 2005 — $650.00

*2006 Honda Accord Hybrid AT without updated control calibration qualifies for a credit amount of $650.

Starting in 2006, the tax credit replaces the tax deduction of $2,000, which was previously allowed for taxpayers who purchased a new hybrid vehicle before
    December 31, 2005. The tax credit requires a different certification. Many currently available hybrid vehicles may qualify for this new tax credit.

Consumers seeking the credit may want to buy early since the full credit is only available for a limited time. Taxpayers may claim the full amount of the allowable credit up to the end of the first calendar quarter after the quarter in which the manufacturer records its sale of the 60,000th vehicle. For the second and third calendar quarters after the quarter in which the 60,000th vehicle is sold, taxpayers may claim 50 percent of the credit. For the fourth and fifth calendar quarters, taxpayers may claim 25 percent of the credit. No credit is allowed after the fifth quarter.
  • muljmulj Posts: 2
    I'm interested in getting a Civic Hybrid, live in San Francisco Bay Area; any recommendation on which dealer to deal with and prices to expected?

Thanks
  • My daughter bought the 06 last year, and loves it. I still haven't got to drive it! She's afraid I'll wreck it I guess :)
  • forgeforge Posts: 3
    Am I missing something here? The tax credit makes a HCH ROI positive, in addition to being environmentally desirable.

I have a couple of dealers where I can get a Mag Pearl HCH w/o Navigation. It seems that I can get them for around $400 under invoice, but don't know if that is the fair market rate.

Regardless, assume that the HCH goes for $22,300. Subtract the $2100 tax credit and your cost is $20,200. A Civic EX lists at $19,800. Assume you can get it for $800 under list and it comes to $19000. The difference is only $1,200 between the hybrid and the EX (not counting ttl). At 15k to 20k miles per year, the Hybrid pays for itself in about three years based on gas savings.

Why wouldn't you buy a hybrid? Why would Honda expect to sell any EX's then??? Am I wrong on this??

Kurt
    Why wouldn't you buy a hybrid?

If you can get the HCH under invoice it is a great deal. Most dealers in CA are charging over MSRP. The one I looked at was sold at $2000 over MSRP. That wipes out the tax credit. And makes the hybrid about $5000 over a comparable Civic EX. You are the first person I know of that got a discount from MSRP on the HCH. Have fun with your new car.
  • forgeforge Posts: 3
    Yes, it seems that "tulipmania" has engulfed California with regards to the hybrids. In the Midwest (Kansas City) you need to pre-order the HCH, but you can get them for under list price. $400 under list is the best you can do from what I can tell.

If I were in CA, I would wait. The tax credit should be good for HCH until mid next year. If you give it a little time, supply should catch up to demand. (Of course, I am not waiting either. I am going to get my Mag Pearl in mid-July, so I don't follow that advice either.)
  • vlado1vlado1 Posts: 4
    I went to purchase my "new" 2006 Civic Hybrid today at Salinas, CA Honda. To my dismay the sticker was removed from the window and was resting on the rear seat, in addition there was no price listed on the sticker, it only had "cva" written instead of the actual $22,700 sticker price.

I have asked a few other dealers about this and received less than adequate explanations, the majority mentioned this was a car intended to be a demo unit. All of them told me not to buy this car and I followed their recommendations.

Any thoughts on this one, sounds like a scam and that this dealer could actually be fined for this.
    How many miles did it have on it? I was under the impression that the window sticker must be left on until the car is sold, to be considered new. I would offer them $20k and tell them you will not have them investigated for selling a used car as new.
  • vlado1vlado1 Posts: 4
    The car had only 24 miles on it which is what is strange. They want $23,700 for this one, $1K over what I believe is the MSRP of the car. Personally I would rather not even do business with these jokers, but unfortunately they will dupe someone who is desperate for a HCH. Currently in the Bay Area dealers are charging $2k-$3k over MSRP.

Thanks for the reply
  • jentkbjentkb Posts: 2
    I was ready to put down a deposit for a Galaxy Gray w/ Nav on Friday. The dealer said they were slated to receive one that would be built around the end of July / beginning of Aug, but they could not take a deposit until the car was built & they had the VIN. He couldn't give me a reason (a new guy said they've had problems with people changing their minds on colors(?!)). My first thought is that it will be an '07 & they don't know what the MSRP will be. Anyone know what's really going on?
  • I just put a $1000 deposit down on a Galaxy Grey w/o Nav that will arrive later this week (I was given a VIN number). Paid $22700, or MSRP + standard delivery charge. Bought from Lute Riley Honda in Dallas, TX. I called arouond 20 dealers in the central and north Texas area. 2 dealers had a GG on the lot, but these were going for around $24000 due to xtra crap the dealers put on the vehicle (e.g. pin stripe, tinting, etc.). 3 dealers had one that was due to arrive in the next 10 days. One dealer was willing to give it to me for $22400, but I wanted a day to think it over, and when I called the next day the car had been sold. This particular dealer was willing to sell me a Magnetic Pearl that had just arrived on the lot for $22200. I called several dealers to see if they would match, but they all said that no one in their right mind would discount. So I got a little panicky and went with the dealer who had it coming in soonest. I made him promise in writing that there would be no markups above MSRP and then put down the deposit.

FYI during my marathon calls to dealers, I found 5 dealers that had silver models on the lot, but as my wife hates the blue interior, this was not an option. At least 2 of the dealers seemed ready to discount, so I'm thinking that you can maybe get a good deal on this particular color.
  • pmzpmz Posts: 26
    My dealer in CO took a deposit before the serial number was issued - it was also a Navi. That was in late April. The car is now in Denver, and should be at the dealer late this week.
  • jentkbjentkb Posts: 2
    I'm in the metroplex & have been emailing a bunch; most offered MSRP, and one offered free dealer tint or like accessory. McDavid-Frisco is the one that wouldn't take my deposit. Did any of the ones you spoke with have or soon expect a GG w/ Nav?
  • There was one dealer, but I confess I can't remember which. David McDavid Iriving is the one who said they'd give me $300 off MSRP. They also said they would discount $500 off MSRP if the car is on the lot. For what it's worth, Lute Riley said DM Iriving has a pretty bad rep in the area . . .
  • pmzpmz Posts: 26
    After ordering a Metallic Pearl Navi, on 5/3/06, it is at the dealer today! Paid invoice with no dealer doc fee in CO.

Hooray!
  • ar39ar39 Posts: 61
    I've decided to buy a 2006 Civic EX/LX, sedan, auto, no navi. Please suggest a good dealer around Colorado Springs CO.

What's a good price for the 2 trims? The local Honda dealer is quoting way more than the MSRP. Can I get a good deal in Denver or Centennial or Littleton? I can travel a bit to get a good price.

Thanks.
  • We're picking up our Magnetic Pearl, HCH w/Navi on Monday. Paid $23,400 plus other options, registration & sales tax (no delivery charges or hidden advertising fees, etc.). I think we got a pretty good deal.

We put down our deposit on July 8th on a car that was already on order, so it will only be a little more than 3 weeks from deposit to delivery. We would have preferred a model without navi, but that would have been a 3-4 month wait from order until delivery.

We haven't decided whether or not we're going to purchase an extended warranty, but haven't been pressured into anything.

The car came in already, and was having the options put on the other day. We got to take a look at it (having never seen the magnetic pearl color) and were very happy with it!
  • mulder2mulder2 Posts: 3
    Did you buy one yet? I'm in the bay area and got one a month ago.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Posts: 675
    Honda's Destination fee just went from $550 to $595, as of 8/1/06
  • So, after a lot of comparison and anxious thought, I'm finally ready to chuck my '94 Toyota Camry and buy a Honda Civic Hybrid. I'm not really digging the ivory-colored interior, so I'm trying to find a Magnetic Pearl HCH which would be fitted with the snazzy blue interior.

Anyhow, one dealer in the Dallas (TX) metroplex has told me that they can order the particular color that I want, but their next purchase order for a hybrid would be placed this month...for a 2007 model. His caution to me is that there would be a price-difference.

I'm wondering whether anybody has any reliable information about the price difference between the 2006 and the 2007 HCH. I've asked the dealer to provide me with that information, but I don't trust him to be completely honest with me. (He's hoping that I'll buy the Alabaster Silver Metallic HCH that they've already ordered and will be getting at the end of August.)

I'd greatly appreciate any info or insight that any of you can offer.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Honda doesn't custom-build vehicles. Therefore I am sceptical of your dealer's suggestion that they can order a non-standard interior, on ANY Honda vehicle.

The only way that they could sell you one would be for them to have a local upholstery shop do a custom job with aftermarket materials. That would be very costly.
  • Oh, there would be no customization at all. Blue is the standard color of the interior for the Magnesium Pearl exterior. The dealer was telling me that if he ordered the car in Magnesium Pearl for me, the car that he'd be ordering would be a 2007 model, and so the price would be higher.

I know that I could also get the blue interior if I bought the car in Alabaster Silver Metallic, but then I'd be buying a car with a silver exterior, and an interior of blue (the cloth pieces), charcoal (the upper dash and carpeting), and ivory (the lower dash and hard plastic pieces)--too many different colors I think. (Although I test-drove such a car, and it wasn't so bad.)
  • Just brought home a 2006 Magnetic Pearl with Nav for $24,299 (excluding MD sales tax) from Heritage Honda in Westminster, MD. Price was MSRP + destination ($550) + Dealer Processing fee ($99). Placed a deposit 4 weeks ago on the car and it came in a few days ago. First time I've ever paid MSRP on a car but overall it was a smooth transaction and there was no "required" options installed or any sales pressure for options or extended warranties. Just hope the car lives up to our expectations.
  • I'm dumping my ancient Ford Probe and I've been looking up fuel efficient compacts. I can't afford a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid , but maybe a 2004. Are there members who can share what they paid for their vehicle in Canada? Also, (pardon my ignorance) do these vehicles run on an alternate fuel as well as gasoline? Thanks. :)
  • roundtriproundtrip Posts: 105
    Is that the light, light blue color? If it is, I wish I could have gotten it in the LX.