Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Prices Paid

Comments

• mreaganmreagan Member Posts: 2
    The suggested retail was $29,550. With optional equipment it came to $32,702.

On the contract, the cash price vehicle is $30,675 and the cash price optional equipment is $1,015. I should clarify that we purchased the 6 year warranty ($2627.88) w/ gap (600). Tax and license came to $2459.46.

We got the truck for invoice + $500. We were charged $31,690 invoice price and got a $1500 rebate. The line that sais 37,422 (which made me panic) did not include the rebate. SO without the warranty and gap what we really paid is: $32,694.46 (which includes $1,015 in accessories, tax and licensing and rebate).

So maybe its not such a bad price. Maybe i could have done a little better but oh well. One thing that did bother me though was the way I was treated after I called and spoke with a sales manager about my concerns. I went through Maita Toyota and spoke with a sales manager about the whole thing and he said "if you think you got a bad deal then its your problem" then he hung up on me a minute later. Also the whole thing moved very quickly and I felt rushed through the process. I want to get a camry in 2006 but will definitely not go through Maita again for this purchase.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    I think what is unclear is what was the $1,050 in "optional equipment"? AS for the Warranty and gap, most likely you might be able to purchase the warranty for less expense, and you can still "shop around" for other quotes as you can still cancel the one that you purchased already if you get a better quote. The cost for gap does seem a bit high, but if you didn't put a downpayment towards the loan or didn't have a trade with equity, it does give you quite a bit of protection.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • heypeaceheypeace Member Posts: 3
    In 2002, I brought a Toyota Tundra 2002 SR5 access cab cloth seats for $24,500 with tax included from Toyota of New Orleans. And here in New Orleans our tax rate is 8.75% . Please don't even follow the dealer's invoice. They our overprice to make more money off of you. I've had over 90,000 miles since then with no problem and have only change brake pads, tires, timing belt, transmission fluid, and coolant only once.

Since this truck ran so well, I also brought another one. Last year in 2004, I brought a 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited for $30,200 Leather seats TRD package with tax included from Toyota of Lakeside in Louisiana. Wish I could have wait for the 280 hp 2005 tundra.

I also like ford f150 but they wanted $33,000 for their trucks similar to the 2004 tundra.

The 2002 Tundra has pull my 6,500lb boat and trailer with no problems, but I only get 10 mpg while towing. And I've delivered goods that were 1300 lbs with no problems.
  • marie5marie5 Member Posts: 4
    I made a deal for a new Tundra; salesman tells me I need to give them a deposit ("you can bring a check for $500", he says) for this truck that they can have here in a couple days. I read some things that said "never never give them a check for the deposit; use a credit card". I don't have a credit card, only a bank debit Mastercard. Any advice?
    thanks
  • miata007miata007 Member Posts: 129
    mreagan,
    It totally sounds like you didn't do your hw nor shop around. If you are the type of buyers who do not like to negotiate, you should consider using Edmunds.com to request quotes from local dealers or using Costco purchase program. This is probably the easiest way other than walk into a place and pay msrp + acess+ ttl. As with the warranty and gap insurance, I suggest you go get it refund if it's possible. If you really need the warranty, shop and buy it else where.

I don't mean to give you a hard time, but things like this always tick me off when a person is buying something and he/she is not involved in the details. My fiancee is like that and I have to keep an eye over her back all the time. In return, she thinks I am a controlled freak. Whatever!!! The most important thing is I have to make sure no one is taking easy money out of my wallet.

Regarding to your next car purchase, it doesn't matter if you go to the same dealership or not. All of them are the same. They will try to make money out of you as much as they can as long as you allowing them. You are the one in control so you will have to be in control. If you are not sure or have any questions, I suggest you post the deals you got on this forum and plenty of people are willing to share their thoughts with you.

Good luck!

• kantuckidkantuckid Member Posts: 4
    Please tell me if you know a dealer within ~500K of KY that is selling new Tundras for invoice. I paid $500 over on my 2000 Tundra when they were a little scarce and payed $500 over on my 2003 Tundra as well(but got overpriced value for my trade)(2003 is for sale@ edmunds TD-IN $ with 32K-access cab TRD truck! Thanks
  • limited1limited1 Member Posts: 1
    I picked up a grey 2005 Tundra 4X4 Limited last week (6/29/05) from Piercey Toyota in San
    Jose
    invoice price plus rebate. $34273-1500 = $32773 Cash Price. MSRP was $37632. I
    opted for warranty and maintence. OTD $38661.99, that includes Taxes (8.5%) and
    reg (~$400). I looked around for a while and nobody could beat the Costco
    membership price. Costco program was no hassle unlike the many other dealerships I went to.
    I was also considering the Tacoma but liked the Tundra better due to its size
    and options.

The options: FE, LD, CK, EJ, HD, JC, KG, LP, CF :shades:
  • torchtorch Member Posts: 2
    I am beginning my search for a Reg Cab 2Dr Lb 4.0 v6 Automatic.Can anyone relate their buying experiences in the MA. / RI. area for a similar vehicle and what they were able to purchase the vehicle for?
    I am also looking for clarification on a feature, Edmunds lists as an option a VD package (vehicle stability control) said to include,vehicle stability control,traction control,limited slip differential,daytime running lights and fog lamps.Requires purchase of AC or TW(tilt wheel) also. This is not a problem since I would want the features listed but from the Toyota web site, and my discussions with dealers ,I have been told a limited slip differential is not available with the v6 automatic package.
    If anyone can clarify this I would appreciate it.(I do not want to purchase 4wd vehicle but I may have to consider v8 for option instead of v6 in order to get limited slip diff.)I'm sure fuel economy would be less with v8 pkg.
    Thanks!! Torch
  • heypeaceheypeace Member Posts: 3
    This message continues the discussion of the pricing of my 2 Tundras from June 26, 2005.

It looks like I paid too much, about $24,500 OTD, for the 2002 Tundra V8 SR5 access cab with cloth seats. After discovering this board a couple of months ago, I compare what I paid then to what others have paid now and I think I should have paid only $21,500 or $22,000 at most OTD price for that truck. Oh well, being ripp off $3,000 to $6,000 from the dealer is the usual.

And I think I also overpaid for the 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited $30,200 OTD with tax. It came with Leather, TRD, towing. Looking at what others have paid, the price I should have probably paid should be $27,500 OTD.

This is why I hate going to buy new vehicles at the dealers. We will never know their bottom line price.

I guess we should keep in mind to take $7,500 off msrp instead of the usual $5,000 off msrp. They are marking up their prices like ford and hope to make some easy money.

Good luck on buying your new Toyota truck.
    Hi,
    I am looking forward to purchase a Tundra Acess Cab V8 with some +/- options(very flexible) in the Dallas/Fortworth Area. Does anyone have any recommendation on good dealerships out there? The truck I am looking at has an invoice price around $23,000. I know there's a $1500 rebate going on right now. The big question is can I get this truck at below invoice($500 to $1000) and get to keep my rebate? I am looking torwards to buy at the end of this month. Any help or opinion is appreciated.

• xsp_ownerxsp_owner Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a new X-SP Sport Package 2 . MRSP $31,327 Paid $28,300 OTD 7% sales tax.

What do you guys think of this deal?
  • marie6marie6 Member Posts: 2
    We had the most amazing buying experience at Antioch Toyota in Antioch, California. We paid $28,116 for a fully loaded, 4x4 2005 Tundra (new). The MSRP was $32,550 and invoice was $29,301 (per Edmunds). Sue Runge was a fabulous, honest and fun salesperson. Tatiana in the finance dept., was amazing as well!

This vehicle has the following options: AA CC LD KE JZ JC LF CK PG FE with a towing package. We were in and out within an hour!
    If you don't mind, can you post how much the truck cost before ttl. I can almost figure out how much you paid for the truck since tll is about 10% here in CA. Just curious did you have to pay for any advertisment or junk fees. What rebate is currently availabe? $2000? Thank you for posting your sales.

• marie6marie6 Member Posts: 2
    We paid $28,116 after $1,500 rebate. We did not pay for any fees including advertising. This price was $2,500 lower than the next best price offered. We had four price quotes in total. The 'other' dealership in Walnut Creek still cannot understand how we were offered that price for the same vehicle. I was pleased with the entire experience. Absolutely no pressure.With the current rebates, the Tundra can be more attractive in price than the Tacoma.
    Thanks for your info. Looks like you paid about $300 over invoice before the rebate. I am currently looking for the same truck as well. Looks like I am going have to wait til end of year for some major discounts. By the way, anyone know when the complete re-design of the Tundra is going to be out? I heard rumors that is going to be full size that's all.

• awilks23awilks23 Member Posts: 5
    Awesome.. Congrats!!! Just out of curiosity, was $28,300 including tax, tags, title?
    Also, what does the X-SP 2 package have differently than the X-SP 1 package?
    In general, out the door (OTD) means tax, title, and licensing are included.

$28,300 includes everything. X-SP Sport Package 2 has 20 inch wheels. X-SP 1 has 18 inch. I believe that is the only difference.
    Awesome!!! thanks for the info. Last question... What geographical area did you buy in? Thanks....
    I bought in Atlanta.
    Awesome.. I'm in Atlanta too!! I have not started the negotiation process yet. I live by the Mall of Georgia, so I was going to start there. Any dealerships you would suggest staying away from? If you had a good buying experience, would you recommend the sales person you dealt with?
    I bought from Cobb County Toyota after dealing with several other dealers that wouldn't come off the price. I called Cobb County Toyota with my offer and without hardly any hesitation the sales person told me to come in and get it. "We'll clean and gas it up now". Easiest buying experience I've ever had. Since you live close to the mall of georgia I would start there but if they don't budge on the price then I would maybe try a couple more in the Gwinnett area but after that Cobb County. Good luck!
  • marlin410marlin410 Member Posts: 5
    04 double cab limited 32000 miles 21,100 + ttl and they gave me good trade on my t-100. Needless to say I am thrilled!
  • sfh1sfh1 Member Posts: 8
    Great deal on the used D-Cab! I almost bought a used 04 D-Cab Ltd for $29,000 a month ago. Had only 12000 miles on it -- was beautiful but it sold before I could make it to the dealer. They lowballed my trade so it took some time to arrange a deal I liked.

Just bought an 05 D-Cab Limited last Friday. Paid 33987 against MSRP 38391. They were 700 lower than any other Toyota dealer, AND they offered 1500 more on my trade than anyone else. Made it very easy. I got exactly what Edmunds estimated for my trade and got the truck right at invoice (minus the current rebate).
  • idahoronidahoron Member Posts: 18
    What did edmunds say the price should be on the one you got? Ron
    For the D-Cab I bought, Edmunds' TMV was 35610. I got it for 33987. I also got what Edmunds estimated for my trade-in. All in all, I'm very happy. I think the employee pricing on the domestics helped, but this particular dealer offered the truck at $1000 less than the other 3 dealers I called. My truck was built on April 1, so maybe I got a benefit from having it sit on the lot for so long. Don't know. Don't care. It's a great truck.
  • toscitosci Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know if Toyota is going to continue the $1000 rebate for the '05 limited double cab?
  • 05tundra05tundra Member Posts: 5
    Purchased from Power Toyota in Tempe, AZ Yesterday

2005 Toyota Tundra 4X2 double cab 2WD SR5 V8
    w/JBL 6CD indash sound system
    SRS curtain airbags
    No TRD package
    "threw in" floor mats

Price 25,900.00
    Tax 2,097.00 (8.1%)
    Tire Tax 5.00
    Doc fee 369.00
    Lic fee 483.22
    Title fee 13.75
    Total 28868.87 OTD

Hope I got a good deal!
    Yikes! I don't like your doc fee.

• heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I'm glad I don't live in AZ, considering the sales tax and license fee.
    Anyone have experinece with warranty for their Tundra? Are they from Toyota or private? How much does it cost and any recommendation?

• adontechadontech Member Posts: 11
    What was the MSRP on this truck?
  • 05tundra05tundra Member Posts: 5
    $30,500
  • graylinergrayliner Member Posts: 39
    Consumer Reports says that extended warranties are not a good value considering the longer factory warranties and the excellent Toyota reliability.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    I have yet to have Consumer Reports ever pay for any of the repairs on any of my vehicles so until they do, I've kept extended service programs on all of my cars as I tend to keep them well longer than the factory warranties cover for.

Ken
  • graylinergrayliner Member Posts: 39
    Of course they don't pay for your repairs -I knew that! LOL
    Sorry if the post was unclear or seemed useless. Consumer Reports gave that as a proviso actually, that if you plan on keeping it well past the warranty then an extended warranty should be considered. I don't keep them more than 4 or 5 years in general. Tundras don't warrant the expense of extended warranties for a couple years beyond the factory warranty. If you buy less than very good or excellent reliability, then you should consider it as well.

Consumer reports has been very very good to me.
    Well, the thing to remember is that they sell extended warraties in order to make money. For my Tundra, the warranty could be extended to 6/75 for approximately $1000 (with a $50 or $100 deductible after 3 years). They also have a clause that if you get 6yrs/75000 without needing warranty repair, you get your money back.

I still turned it down, but that's mostly because I don't worry too much about costly repairs. The problem is the inconvenience of having my truck in the shop, and Toyota's warranty doesn't help me with that.
  • jk28jk28 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased new in '02 v8 sr5 access cab. At 35,936 the truck started to run rough. Dealer told me I need new spark plugs and should have changed them at 30k. My bad. Next day same thing happened, this time the told me it was a fuel injector and not the plugs after all. They claimed that they "tapped the injector with a screwdriver and the truck ran great'. That's how they figured out it was the injector. Their answer scared the hell out me. I immediately bought the extended warranty and boy howdy it has paid off BIG. Complete front brake job (heavy shudder) at 40k $ 1501.00, rear window latch snapped off, fan control knob shattered in my hand $175.00 for both repairs and I recvd a Camry for the day to use. Now I have a paint issue that I'll attend to this next week. 99.9% of the time I'm against extended warranties but, after reading all the post from Edmunds about owner problems I will never be without a long term warranty again. Thxs, Just my thoughts on this.
  • timatlantatimatlanta Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone tried to take advantage of the end of year specials?

I've been to 3 dealers in the Atlanta area and one in Macon. It has mostly been a complete farce for two major reasons:

you have to practically threaten the salesman with violence before you get something even close to fair for your trade.

Dealerships continually use factory rebates to mask other things they stick in the price and when you call them out on it the response is always the same "but I'm giving you $3000 off" - that's not costing the dealership a dime and when they try to peck away at my FACTORY rebate I get very pissed off.

With the exception of one of the four dealerships I've visited, OTD price has always been a few hundred over invoice minus rebate on 2005's Tundra's (yes, I said 2005). You would think there would be a little more motivation to get these off the lot. Speaking of invoice, it seems standard at Toyota dealers that invoice = invoice plus various mark-ups. Yet another ploy I am completely sick of seeing.

One dealer who didn't have anymore 2005's (therefore leveled with me on a few things) said Toyota is still not happy with market penetration and that's why we have rebates on 2006 Tundra's that just got on the lot this month. Apparently there is too big a gap between Ford/Chevy and Toyota full sized pickups. I can tell you why, it's not about the truck, it's about the morons at the dealership.

I do NOT want to buy a Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Nissan/whatever but there is no way I'm going to buy a 2005 unless I get a really good deal. These sales managers who try to convince me that I'm getting a really good deal are so pathetic.

anyway... rant off...... There are still 10 or so 2005 Double cabs in the Atlanta area, I'm curious to see what they do when we get into October and there are still on the lot.

Tim
  • cheapisgoodcheapisgood Member Posts: 16
    There are several postings from around the country on the 05 and 06 DBL CABS. I just priced and bought mine at the same dealership in Tempe, AZ. They are at Invoice less the $1250 rebate on an 06. The dealership invoice was slightly less than the Edmonds invoice. Go through the internet department and you will get your invoice quote.

As far as trade-ins go, sell the vehicle on your own. The dealers have a lot of trade-ins on their lots and the larger used vehicles trucks and SUV's are not moving. The dealers are even undercutting the KBB Trade in Values.

New large trucks simply are not selling well. If you cannot get the Tundra you want at or near invoice, move onto another dealer. Toyota simply cannot move the new Tundra's, hence the rebate.

Tabbss
  • 12361236 Member Posts: 34
    I just bought a 05 4x4 Tundra Limited Access cab fully loaded for 27K plus usual Tax Lic etc They are thin on the ground but right now 3K rebate from the factory makes for a pretty good deal.
  • tundraxsp4tundraxsp4 Member Posts: 1
    for 2006 Tundra Double Cab SR5 with the following options:

XSP-4
    Dual Exhaust
    Overhead Console
    Fog Lamps
    Keyless
    JBL with 6 CD changer

Anybody see a better deal in Georgia (7%tax) area?
  • striddystriddy Member Posts: 2
    2" LIFT
    18" TIRES WITH FUEL RIMS
    RUNNING BOARD
    NAVI
    MOONROOF
    EXTRA MILE OPTION D
    WITH ALL LIMITED TRIMMINGS
    (excepted no heated seats & single cd)

HOW DOES THAT SOUND?
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Anybody get (heard of) a particularly good deal on a new double cab SR5 4x4 in Southern Cal lately? What did you pay? Where?
    Try Carson Toyota. They have weekly special where you can view on line.
    You can do a search for that website. Let me know if you can't find it.

• shadingding2shadingding2 Member Posts: 10
    Hi all,

The auto dealer asked for 22,700 on this car below. TMV is 22,037 after rebate($1500). How much can I start to bid, 20,700 or 21,200?

Shadingding2

2006 Toyota Tundra Pickup
    Model Access CAB SR5 V6 4*2
    SR5 Standard Convenience Packages and
    Installed Options
    . Chrome wheel arch moldings,
    . 16-in. 6-spoke alloy wheels with P265/70R16 tires
    Wheel locks
    . Bedliner
    . Carpeted floor mats
  • chrisrchrisr Member Posts: 2
    All of that (minus 2"lift), 4x4 and a sprayed-on liner. C
  • chrisrchrisr Member Posts: 2
    All of that (minus 2"lift), 4x4 and a sprayed-on liner. 38k out the door. (7.75% tax) C
  • brick195969brick195969 Member Posts: 2
    you seem pretty knowledgeable about toyota trucks, I am a total novice when it comes to buying a vehicle, I would love any advice you can offer when approaching a dealer re:
    a new truck, I like the tundra's and would like to buy a year end 2005 for a better deal, do you think I could get an equitable deal on a 2006 since you are saying they are not moving, please advice in any fashion you can
    thanks
  • brick195969brick195969 Member Posts: 2
    what is the best method to approach a toyota sales person regarding a best buy opportunity, what is otd price?, I'll take any advice I can get.

thanks