Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Prices Paid

Comments

• jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    You're so correct jfritsch. The F-150 competition, seeing how Ford is on tthe verge of extinction, and the new 900 line form GM is going to create immense pricing pressures IMHO. Thusly, Toyota will have to respond with some type of cash discounts. The truck is avery viable competitor though, but TOO high a price for my tastes right now.
  • brad993brad993 Member Posts: 8
    Please advise where you got $3k off MSRP. None of the dealers in Nor Cal are discounting a all.
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    I just spoke to a Toyota finance guy. He said they are dealing like never before to "knock off the top 2". I told him that I always pay cash.(Why would anyone finance a depreciating asset?) Anyway, he did sound very motivated to get buyers financed if you are into that. I bet that they must be that way with gas going up 31 cents/gal in the last month. He did state that the Tundra is selling for 1K over invoice. If you local dealer won't deal then find one that will. When I bought my last Lexus, I flew from Seattle to LA. The dealer picked me up at the airport. I was out of there in an hour and saved 3K.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I told him that I always pay cash. (Why would anyone finance a depreciating asset?)

Ummmm, maybe because not many of us have $32K sitting in our checking account?
    I would find a cheaper truck if didn't have cash available. Too many people live paycheck to paycheck. You will be much happier if you live below your means and not above it.

Anyone else been invited by their Toyota dealer to a Black Tie Tundra party tonight?
  • jreaganjreagan Member Posts: 285
    Ooooooh, a "Black Tie Tundra Party" ?? Can I come, please? :P
    It is clear that you are either paid by GM or have psych problems. Either way, go away and get a life or seek help. (Sorry Host but jreagan deserves that.)

Party was great. Valet parking. Huge crowd. Celebrity speakers. Excellent food. Big search lights rotating in the sky. Tundras hooked up to boats and trailers. They were not allowing test drives was the only bummer. I didn't learn much new except that the 21 suppliers for the Tundra all have seperate warehouses so Toyota never runs out of parts and the railroad track goes right up to the S.A. factory. Crewmax will be at dealerships by the end of the month. Also, ask for the Costco price on the tundra seemed important to get a good deal.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "It is clear that you are either paid by GM or have psych problems."

I'm pretty sure he's not paid by GM..... ;)
  • trucks6trucks6 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my truck yesterday it took less than a week to find i got the dark blue with the off road pkg sticker was 34780 i end up getting a good deal $31700 the dealership was great i end up saving almost $3000 everybody was asking for sticker or over so i did my work and i heard of a new toyota truck center that just opened up the place is beautiful they located in smithtown, ny the dealership name is smithtown toyota :shades:
    Sounds like you saved over $3k. I like to work up from invoice and not down from MSRP. And don't forget the 2% holdback.
  • rappcovarappcova Member Posts: 24
    I just learned from a dealer that Toyota isn't putting the TRD option on the 2007 DC SR-5 Tundra with bench seat. You can get the bench seat model without TRD and you can get TRD without the bench seat. But you can't get both. Tell me this isn't true!! What a bummer!
  • rappcovarappcova Member Posts: 24
    Cancel my last.....#276. I'm answering my own post. I got a little hasty after receiving some wrong information. A different dealer informs me that he has an SR-5 TRD with bench seat on his lot today. It's too bad when you run across a salesperson who either doesn't know his/her product, is too lazy to get facts, or just plain fibs when he/she doesn't have what you want in the dealer's inventory. I won't name the dealer because it might have been the person's first day on the job.........sure!!
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    1st try the manufacturers website or brochure for info like this. Generally try Edmunds.com 2nd when looking for options. (It is more error prone) Last try the salesman.

-jjf
    Yes, it is sad when the salesperson doesn't know the vehicle as well as you. I had the same problem yesterday. The guy was trying to tell me that you can get the Tundra DC Limited with the 8 ft bed. I feel like I wasting my time educating him to do his job.
  • mzopinonatedmzopinonated Member Posts: 24
    does anyone know when Toyota plans on putting sun roof on DC's? I know you could get an 05 or 06 with a sunroof but I do not see it offered as an option on any of the dearler websites only on the crew-max cab
  • gteegtee Member Posts: 179
    It looks like Toyota is already offering a $1000 discount or 'rebates' on Tundra regular cab. Only Toyota calls this rebate "Coupons". Here is the article from Road and Track magazine. I think that summer is when real discounts kick in on Tundra.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=14&article_id=4993
    I'm hoping that some new Tundra owners step up and tell what they paid above invoice. Anyone?
  • dearmonddearmond Member Posts: 4
    I live in San Diego and would drive to the dealer in LA for that deal--who is the dealer? Thanks
    CD
  • razorthunderrazorthunder Member Posts: 98
    Agreed. If I had $32K sitting in checking, which isn't smart in itself, over a higher interest bearing money market account, I would still finance at 6% and below, and more-so below ... and just invest the $32K. So why would anyone pay cash for a vehicle versus a low interest loan? Especially, if you understand the time-value of money.
    If you invested for the car or saved at 4-5%, for 5 or so years then paid for the car, thats what he did. Far superior to dopes financing at 7-8% for 5 years. Takes some self control though.

And will blow most of it buying near invoice when all the other full size are discounted 7-9k. All that saving just to blow it.

Toyota may be better, but not 7k better. I'd wait a month or two until the intro wears off. Reality will hit quickly in this segment.

--jjf

Agreed. If I had $32K sitting in checking, which isn't smart in itself, over a higher interest bearing money market account, I would still finance at 6% and below, and more-so below ... and just invest the $32K. So why would anyone pay cash for a vehicle versus a low interest loan? Especially, if you understand the time-value of money
  • neff2kneff2k Member Posts: 5
    Pompous is the first word that comes to mind. Words of advice: Life is short. What is right for one isn't necessarily right for all. Most people aren't in the position to write out a check for 40K. Does that mean that anyone that doesn't have 40K spare change sitting in the bank doesn't deserve something they really want, but can afford with payments. Your idea of calling those that finance, "dopes" is completely uncalled for. People with your attitude bring the word arrogance to whole new level.

Of course there are those who borrow beyond their means. That is a completely different situation. Financing within your means provides a little slice of the nicer life with the penalty of paying more for the vehicle. Financing a vehicle is a drop in the bucket to some of the interest people pay on home loans. Spending your life saving doesn't guarantee you'll live to spend it. It's all about balance.

Live life with no regrets, and you won't regret living life.

-D-
    Actually, it was the inverse. I was defending the guy who really behaved like the grasshopper and saved or invested the money to buy the truck. Evidently in today's world he's enough of a freak to get the razamatazz.

--jjf

Pompous is the first word that comes to mind. Words of advice: Life is short. What is right for one isn't necessarily right for all. Most people aren't in the position to write out a check for 40K. Does that mean that anyone that doesn't have 40K spare change sitting in the bank doesn't deserve something they really want, but can afford with payments. Your idea of calling those that finance, "dopes" is completely uncalled for. People with your attitude bring the word arrogance to whole new level.

Of course there are those who borrow beyond their means. That is a completely different situation. Financing within your means provides a little slice of the nicer life with the penalty of paying more for the vehicle. Financing a vehicle is a drop in the bucket to some of the interest people pay on home loans. Spending your life saving doesn't guarantee you'll live to spend it. It's all about balance
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    The problem is your choice of words..."Far superior to dopes financing at 7-8% for 5 years.". Those were your words, not the guy you're apparently defending.

I guess I'm a dope.
    I believe too many people live above their means. In the end, the rest of us may be paying for their financial mistakes. It is called delayed gratification when you purchase a vehicle with your own money. It is a sign of being a responible adult. I'm sure some may disagree but I'll bet that I sleep better than them at night.

But, I digress. How bout that Tundra?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Correct... enough with the digression. I can give you the trap door to the Smart Shopper board if you want to continue there, but this topic is specifically about Tundra pricing.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Anyone paid invoice or lower for the new Tundra?
  • brad993brad993 Member Posts: 8
    Here in the SF Bay Area, I couldn't find a single dealer willing to go below MSRP. I ended up finding only one who would do $500 below MSRP.
    I have seen a few dealers around MSRP. I would just tell them that is not competitive with other dealers. Gas is over $3 and you are not asking about a Prius. Check with L.A. dealers if you have not done so.
  • cyafishincyafishin Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased double cab SR5, 4.7L, 4wd, SB. metallic slate. 300 over invoice in Oregon. Feel like that is a fair price.
    Which dealer? I can tell you that you did well.
    I have multiple dealers at $500 over invoice but that seems to be a barrier no one would cross.
  • killjoykilljoy Member Posts: 20
    Saleman are so stupid....I got the same song and dance in SF bayarea.....Tundra are hot right now he said, I told him I will be back in August and then in December.....I will wait until Tundra's fill your lot.....and you will get on your hands and knees before I buy one....

on the way out, right in front of his Sales managers I asked him, So chev is down the street two blocks on the right side? You right...I will get a better deal there.....

ROFL
    I like that Chevy line. I will use it if I ever go to a dealership. These Toyota sales guys, who hold out for every dollar, are slowing Tundra sales right now. I have to remind them that gas is $3+ for regular and I don't want a Prius.

The patient buyer will be rewarded.

Anyone see 24 last night? Jack in the Tundra. The truck looked and sounded great, except for the red leather.
    The tundra may be a better truck (or maybe not) but not $5000-$7000 better. Especially with the 100 k mi warranty.

I like that Chevy line. I will use it if I ever go to a dealership. These Toyota sales guys, who hold out for every dollar, are slowing Tundra sales right now. I have to remind them that gas is $3+ for regular and I don't want a Prius.

The patient buyer will be rewarded.

Anyone see 24 last night? Jack in the Tundra. The truck looked and sounded great, except for the red leather
  • birdog1birdog1 Member Posts: 5
    Ok I'll try to make it short I ordered a double sr5 long bed I built it the way I want it. 1500 off of msrp. then My wife decides to get her a Crew max Tundra. It was time to trade in her suburban I went to where I had bought a tacoma and ordered the double cab long bed tundra. Before I went in I called another dealer and got the price from them (they had lost me to the first dealer on the other truck), for what she wanted. I went in the first dealer had already came off 1500. I talked with them and showed what I was quoted they said there was NOOO way I could get that truck for that. I got there price down 300 more total of 1800. I told them I would have to head to south. I walked into the other dealer, he found it and I ordered it for 3523.oo below msrp I had both dealers working on the same truck so I could find the best price for her. Oh yeah the doc fees where I bought the truck was 50. the fee at the other was 199. it all adds up. good luck
  • ltdan2ltdan2 Member Posts: 17
    took del. today ,wife works for S.E.T. set price for asso. bought from heyward allen in athens ga. ser. is way above the norm for dealers would recm. them to anyone!
  • prelecprelec Member Posts: 15
    I picked up a DC, sr5, 5.7, buckets, TRD off road, silver sky, last night. It is a sweet truck. Maita Toyota in Sacramento gave me $2k more for my trade than anyone else and sold it to me for $28,700 - $2500 off msrp. There may be better deals, but I couldn't find em. They treated me real well, no hammer for extras or warranties. 100 mi so far and 17.2 mpg.
  • guitarman2guitarman2 Member Posts: 2
    Hello...McFly....

Are you awake? This is by far the best truck on the road right now. Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are not good. It is OK to pay a profit to a dealership. When you buy a shirt from where ever you shop from, do you ask to pay less than what they bought it for? Think about it, you buy clothes several times a year, how often do you buy a vehicle? A fair profit to pay a dealership is around 5%. You probably are paying more for that in taxes.
  • guitarman2guitarman2 Member Posts: 2
    Some buyers are so stupid...I just traded in my 2002 Tundra for 19,000. I also just bought my new Double Cab 5.7 for 1500 over invoice. My brother bought a new Chevy in 2003 and also wanted to buy a new Tundra. His truck had 10k less miles than mine and was 1 year newer. Guess what his truck was worth.....11,000. Sounds like you are making a great choice, go 2 blocks and get a "better deal". A "good deal" isn't always about how much you get off of MSRP, but how much you get back when you go to sell, how much you spend in repairs, and how much time you waste driving a rental car while you new truck is getting repaired under factory warranty. I would rather spend a little more and love my new truck than save a few bucks and drive something that is ok. The Chevy is nowhere near the truck the Toyota is, and Chevy knows it. That is why they overprice their trucks 10k to begin with, so they can show you a large discount to make you feel like you are getting a good deal and hopefully forget about the quality of vehicle you are buying. Keep up the good work Toyota. If you continue to price your trucks effectively, there will be no need to panic sell and give big discounts.
  • vincekellervincekeller Member Posts: 28
    Is your message supposed to be a joke? A 5 years old Tundra (not even a double-cab and less HP than the 05's)traded in for $19K!! You can get a brand new 06 Double Cab for $21.8K. 02 are running $11/$14K trade-in/retail. I like Toyota too, but your message was so unbelievable.
  • birdog1birdog1 Member Posts: 5
    Took delivery on mine love it, the wife is getting hers tomorrow.
    I'll post this on here . I was told(by a toyota saleman) to go to walmart and buy there back up camera and to get it installed at Best Buy save a lot of money. same picture as the one from the dealer. hope it helps
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    You obviously have never been in a Toyota... the guy isn't joking. Check it out on CarMax and other places if you think he is. He is pretty much in the ballpark for what you get. And it is impossible to get an 06 DC for $21.8K unless it is completely void of any options and the dealer is feeling very generous and wanting to get rid of it. 06's on the lots now are easily $33K to $35K with options in the mid-upper range. Do some research and you'll see that for yourself...
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "06's on the lots now are easily $33K to $35K with options in the mid-upper range."

:confuse:

Why would anyone buy an '06 (previous generation) for $33-35k when they can get an '07 (new generation) DC EASILY for those kind of prices?
    The 06 DC Tundras have been boat anchors for over 12 months. Everyone looking for a truck this size was waiting for the new Tundra. Plus this segment is slow as hell. They were going all day for $7000 off MSRP 6 months ago. Track a few down and 7000-10000 off should be doable on the 33000 model. (Shoot for the higher number especially on the 40000 model)

--jjf

You obviously have never been in a Toyota... the guy isn't joking. Check it out on CarMax and other places if you think he is. He is pretty much in the ballpark for what you get. And it is impossible to get an 06 DC for $21.8K unless it is completely void of any options and the dealer is feeling very generous and wanting to get rid of it. 06's on the lots now are easily $33K to $35K with options in the mid-upper range. Do some research and you'll see that for yourself
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Was just recently offered by a dealer a 2006 Tundra 2wd Double Cab Limited without leather for $20600. Not just possible, but cheaper than you described and a Limited. Sorry, better do some real world research.
  • vincekellervincekeller Member Posts: 28
    I actually had a 2000 Tundra Limited and now an 06 DC that I paid $21.8K. I got the 06 DC about 5 months ago with $8.5K discount.
    That is a very rare case indeed! Congrats on the great deal, but you are one of the few...
    Took another look... if the guy didn't get a double-cab, then yeah, you're right, he got ripped off. But even 06 extended cab SR5s are selling at CarMax for $26K after an almost $5K discount and with 13K miles on it. I don't see that many 06s left at all, but 02 limited (extended cabs) are selling for $18 to $19K with 65K to 80K on the odometer. So, if he got a DC, that would be right in line, but a regular or extened cab would mean that he paid about $3K too much. Still, I have not seen even one 02 model Tundra for anywhere near $11K/$14K. It could be that it isn't listed on Toyota's inventory or at CarMax due to high mileage, everything else is showing well above those marks. For you to get yours at $21.8K is pretty amazing to say the least... SR5s are selling for more than $3K higher and with mileage on it! :D
    A good deal on a 06 DC new is 7-10k off, depending on MSRP. It is a boat anchor. Unfortunately the access cabs at 7-8k off disappeared quickly. This is probably better than some are getting on used 05's and 04's.

Used car prices can be misleading because of jacking they can do on used car prices in general and the fact that they can actually get away with it with Toyotas.

Good luck
    --jjf

Took another look... if the guy didn't get a double-cab, then yeah, you're right, he got ripped off. But even 06 extended cab SR5s are selling at CarMax for $26K after an almost $5K discount and with 13K miles on it. I don't see that many 06s left at all, but 02 limited (extended cabs) are selling for $18 to $19K with 65K to 80K on the odometer. So, if he got a DC, that would be right in line, but a regular or extened cab would mean that he paid about $3K too much. Still, I have not seen even one 02 model Tundra for anywhere near $11K/$14K. It could be that it isn't listed on Toyota's inventory or at CarMax due to high mileage, everything else is showing well above those marks. For you to get yours at $21.8K is pretty amazing to say the least... SR5s are selling for more than $3K higher and with mileage on it!
  • ishinoishino Member Posts: 4
    07 Tundra Double Cab, SR5, 4.7L V8
    MSRP: $28,469
    INVOICE: $26,358.12
    Made a deal for $24,998... was supposed to go in this morning and sign papers... decided not to take the deal because of the color. I really wanted one in silver. Floor mats thrown in for no charge.

This afternoon, different dealership... 07 Tundra Double Cab, SR5, 4.7L V8
    MSRP: 29,069
    Didn't see what invoice was on this one... didn't care. Made a deal for $22,888. $6,181 off MSRP, but I didn't get any floor mats with this deal, but I still think I made out like a bandit. Plus it's in silver too! I just could not walk away from this deal. Made up my mind quicker than the Tundra goes from 0-60 MPH.
  • zone4zone4 Member Posts: 46
    What city, state and dealership did you buy your vehicle at?