Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Pathfinder Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Take it easy. I have a personal issue with the Pathfinder as one betrayed our family in a financial transaction in the late 1960's. :confuse:

Chevy Trailblazer 10000 off MSRP
    Honda Pilot 7500 off MSRP (about 5900 now)
    Toyota 4runner advertised 6000 off msrp (now)
    Dodge Durango/Chev Silverado/Dodge Dakota 10000 off MSRP

With these deals worked last summer regularly and similar discounts approaching, just trying to give some perspective on whats going on in the segment. To pay 400 below invoice for a Pathfinder is silly if it depreciates 10-13k from msrp 1st year like the rest. Although the Nissan dealers seem to have a lot of discipline in advertising (like Honda) doubtless better deals on a Path have (and need) to be made. It can't resist gravity. Check out my message 14394 in the Accord Prices paid section for useful info on how to buy a car.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf

jff,

I believe he wants a Pathfinder? Any personal issue with the pathfinder since you keep referring people whose interest is in Nissan Pathy over the Toyota 4Runner?

mattpsu,
    have you checked out edmunds? what is the option you want vs. the ones you need. don't forget the "cool" factor to have options. Have you emailed the dealers around your area for some quotes? The key here is test drive at the dealer you know you will not buy it from, do all your negotiation via EMAIL/PHONE. Let the dealer know you will only coming in for the sign and drive when we reach the deal. What a pressure off you and on them!

If you can give me some general idea of what exactly you're looking for, options and 2nd options (including color), I may be able to work up some numbers for you.

Thanks,
  • bmavesbmaves Member Posts: 6
    I got to agree w/ Chuckisc. Every one that posts about prices on Pathfinders, you bring up 4runners. I am not angry or anything just you should post those on the 4runner vs Pathy thread and not the Pathfinder prices paid thread.
    The only model you had listed that is even in the same leauge as the Pathfinder is the 4Runner. BUT you cannot get a 4Runner equally equiped as a Pathfinder for the same price. The Trailblazer is a piece of crap. It will break before you are done paying for it. Pilot is for all intents and purposes, a car w/ AWD. Some Subaru's have more ground clearance than a Pilot. 4Runners are sweet, I had one but it was always in the shop. Durangos are more of a piece of crap than a Trailblazer. My wife's freind had a brand new 07 that caught fire and burned to ashes on the expressway.

Chevy Trailblazer 10000 off MSRP
    Honda Pilot 7500 off MSRP (about 5900 now)
    Toyota 4runner advertised 6000 off msrp (now)
    Dodge Durango/Chev Silverado/Dodge Dakota 10000 off MSRP
  • toddg1970toddg1970 Member Posts: 2
    I am about to purchase a 2006 Pathfinder LE 4x2. It is fully loaded with pretty much everything it is a CPO that I am getting through the dealer. It is very clean. It has 22,000 miles, the DVD, and Navigation System. I have the dealer at the following:

$27,953 purchase price with TTL it is around $29,900. I am able to get a 60 month 6.64% loan. Does this seem like a fair deal? I live in the Houston, TX area.
    Look up the wholesale price of your vehicle on kbb.com nada.com and edmunds.com. Take the two lowest prices and average them and try to get the vehicle for that figure to figure +1500. Any more than that depends on how much you want a used 06 pathfinder with 22000 miles.

--jjf

I am about to purchase a 2006 Pathfinder LE 4x2. It is fully loaded with pretty much everything it is a CPO that I am getting through the dealer. It is very clean. It has 22,000 miles, the DVD, and Navigation System. I have the dealer at the following:

$27,953 purchase price with TTL it is around $29,900. I am able to get a 60 month 6.64% loan. Does this seem like a fair deal? I live in the Houston, TX area.
  • toddg1970toddg1970 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will haggle a little more. I have been looking for a couple weeks and this one is by far the cleanest that I have found in the market. It has a couple of upgrades that I don't need but it is a sharp looking vehicle.
  • maxshopmaxshop Member Posts: 7
    Miles: 18300. The price from a private party is $25750 & is listed as "Excellent with Factory Warranty (until Dec 08)". I have not seen the vehicle yet, but ran a price-check on Edmunds & it came up with $25500. Ran a price-check on KBB & it came up with $22000. Not sure which is the correct one. What do you folks think is a decent price?

Thanks
    Check nada.com and take the 2 lowest of the 3 prices and average them. I'm assuming your prices are wholesale good (not outstanding condition). Work around wholesale price. He may be selling it himself as its possible dealers he tried to sell it to would not even come close to wholesale. Obviously if he's seriously in the bucket (owes substantially more than he can get for it) you want to pass.
    23000 range sounds closer to the mark for a 05 vehicle like this than 25500.

--jjf

Miles: 18300. The price from a private party is $25750 & is listed as "Excellent with Factory Warranty (until Dec 08)". I have not seen the vehicle yet, but ran a price-check on Edmunds & it came up with $25500. Ran a price-check on KBB & it came up with $22000. Not sure which is the correct one. What do you folks think is a decent price?

Thanks
  • ampmicoampmico Member Posts: 2
    can anyone help me out with some OTD prices for an 07 V8 SE model prices with the towing package? thanks
  • rhj1954rhj1954 Member Posts: 3
    I am just starting the purchase process for an 07 or 08 and was wondering what to expect in terms of getting below invoice. In essence are their deals to be had on the 07 as a late model or should I focus on the new 08 models. I am in Central/Western NY.
  • bluesilverbluesilver Member Posts: 4
    Back in March, I posted about a NEW 2005 Pathfinder LE at my local Nissan dealership. I negotiated on it, but walked away at a final offer of $29,635. Turns out the dealer STILL has the vehicle. With the 2008 models out, is it crazy to even consider purchasing this vehicle? I'm tempted to offer them $25,000 but am I taking a huge risk on buying a car that has sat on the lot for over 2 years?

Here's where we're at:

Invoice: $33,105
    less Nissan rebate -$1,500
    Dealer holdback -$935.00

When I left the dealer, I had them down to $29,635. The dealer definitely wants to get rid of this vehicle, so I know I can do better.

Here are more specs:
    2005 Pathfinder LE
    980 miles
    Heated leather seats
    Bose 6 disc CD changer
    (doesn't have navigation system)
    Oh brother. Many of the vehicles new in the 20 mpg segment are deeply discounted. Hit 10-20 dealers with bid requests last week of the month via email and you may work 5000-6000+ off MSRP for a new 07 equipped as the 05 you're looking at. As fpr the 05, look it up used on kbb.com and nada.com and target below to just above wholesale. See what the landscape is for the new ones and of course you want the 05 for lots less than your best 07 deal.

--jjf

Back in March, I posted about a NEW 2005 Pathfinder LE at my local Nissan dealership. I negotiated on it, but walked away at a final offer of $29,635. Turns out the dealer STILL has the vehicle. With the 2008 models out, is it crazy to even consider purchasing this vehicle? I'm tempted to offer them $25,000 but am I taking a huge risk on buying a car that has sat on the lot for over 2 years?

Here's where we're at:

Invoice: $33,105
    less Nissan rebate -$1,500
    Dealer holdback -$935.00

When I left the dealer, I had them down to $29,635. The dealer definitely wants to get rid of this vehicle, so I know I can do better.

Here are more specs:
    2005 Pathfinder LE
    980 miles
    Heated leather seats
    Bose 6 disc CD changer
    (doesn't have navigation system)
  • chuckiscchuckisc Member Posts: 31
    I must agree with the previous post! Your 05' Pathy, given it's a LE model is nothing extreme or even worth that much effort to negotiate with a dealer who doesn't want to work with you. I don't care how much you want to spin it brother, it's USED OLD vehicle, 2005 is so old now! Look at the 2007 or 2008 model right now. If you spend all that time and effort to deal with this 2005, why not work on a newer model!

Personally, my 06'SE has ALL of the items you listed here. Brandnew with 9 miles on it when I bought. OTD was $32100, @ Ardmore Nissan, PA!

And I didn't set foot in the dealer until the delivery day! All was done via email and web, and intensive phone calls. The beauty of this method and why it works for me is: I control the negotiation's temperature :) If it gets too hot and gets a little bit out of control or I don't like what I hear, just excuse myself and hang up the phone or delaying the email respond time.

BTW, You should stop calling it a "NEW 2005 Pathfiner", it's 3 years old now brother... Look at the 2008 and see what you are missing here!
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    My dealer has a beautiful blue LE, loaded up. Nav, DVD, all leather, they are asking
    nearly 30K for it. I had my 03 in for service this morning, but didn't btoher any
    of the salesmen. It was awfully nice!
    Personally, Nissan needs to step up a notch with their NAV system. This is 2007 going on 2008 and they still can't get the Touch-Screen into their vehicle yet? So, I wouldn't spend the extra cash to get the factory (low-end) Navigation system that is NOT a touch-screen. You'd better off to buy a loaded SE and upgrade the head-unit with high-end Nav (after-market, like Pioneer or Eclipse)
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    I already have a garmin C550.
  • oscarroscarr Member Posts: 4
    I just leased an 07 Pathfinder LE with Navi (sticker price around 39K) with the following deal:

$1000 total at signing
    $418 per month (includes tax of 7% in my county)
    39 months
    12K miles per year

I got mine at Team Nissan in Marietta, GA. Did I get a good deal?
  • bigedfrombkbigedfrombk Member Posts: 21
    I need advice. I'm interested in purchasing 2007 Pathfinder SE and visited a dealer and received the following price and options:

$29,200 plus taxes(8.125 - NY) and license fee,

Comfort Package
    Premiun Package
    Runningboard
    Splash Guards
    Sunroof Deflector
    Body Side Molding

The color is Red Brawn and interior is desert cloth. I actually wanted leather interior but it seems they are hard to come by.

Is this good price or can I do better. He did have three on his lot. I appreciate your input.
  • acslateracslater Member Posts: 2
    So we purchased an 07 Pathfinder last week that was on a different lot so it needed to be delivered. We also had them replace the XM radio with Sirius. Since it took them a couple of days to get the Sirius in stock and installed my wife picked up the car on Friday night and did the look over. When she brought it home I saw that the tires had the white outline writing facing out, something that I don't really like. When I called our salesman he implied that we would have to pay to have the tires flipped so that black wall side of the tires faced out. What are your all thoughts on this? I assumed that they would handle this without a charge,

Thanks!
    The Dealer def. got you good!
    1. Factory defaults all tires/wheels to be "whitewall"
    2. Should have done that "walk-around" before delivery (your false)
    3. Dealer does not obligate to do it for FREE, they owe you nothing.
    4. Cost money anywhere to get that type of work done on tires/wheels.
    5. Pay them and cut your loss! IMHO
  • acslateracslater Member Posts: 2
    We did do the walk-around. Unfortunately I could not be there so my wife did it. I told her things to look for but never thought of the white wall issue.
    Perhaps the dealer will do the switcharoo for $50 or so. Many people like it with the letters out. If you have a Costco card maybe they can work a better deal but with a 26000 machine and about $5000 or so in payment interest in the works I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Good Luck
    --jjf

We did do the walk-around. Unfortunately I could not be there so my wife did it. I told her things to look for but never thought of the white wall issue.
  • kms87kms87 Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking at both used and new Pathfinders. I have quote requests out to a few dealers. But I'm wondering about a 2007 SE at a local dealer that is a program vehicle. It has the towing package and comfort package and is in very nice (near mint) condition. Ideally I wanted leather, but this is a pretty nice-looking vehicle regardless. It has 26k miles on it. The sticker is $27,900. What do you think is a good OTD price? I was thinking $24k? Is that realistic? I'm just getting started and trying to learn. Thanks!
  • stetsonbustetsonbu Member Posts: 14
    I did some research on the safety of the 2005 and on Nissan Pathfinder and it received a 4-star frontal crash rating. Does anyone know why? According to the rating, a 5-star has a 10% or less of a serious injury. a 4-star has 10-20%. My next question would be, would the 4-star rating be closer to the 10% or 20%? I wonder if this vehicle just missed the 5-star rating?

Please help as this is one of the deciding factors for purchasing this vehicle!
    Ok--I had posted a message above about a used pathy but ended up with a new one. Final price: $29k, OTD. This is a loaded 2007 SE---leather, comfort and premium packages. I am really excited. I have to make a road trip to purchase, but that's ok!
  • stetsonbustetsonbu Member Posts: 14
    kms87,

Wow, sounds like a deal! Does the $29K include TTL, fees, etc.?

Also, did you get heated seats?

What dealership did you purchase? I wonder if I could get the same deal here in Maryland?

Thanks!
    I am purchasing out of state, so I have not paid taxes or registration. The $29k does include ALL fees such as the destination charge and document prep fee. The vehicle includes the leather package (including the heated seats), comfort and premium packages. I wanted dark leather (the vehicle is black) and that's what this one has. It also has the sunroof deflector, floor mats and splash guards.
    I purchased from the Nissan dealer in Omaha, NE. I'm very pleased with their service. They beat all of the local dealers easily.

Good luck!
  • captain_archercaptain_archer Member Posts: 5
    Chicagoland area, 37k miles, 2004 LE Platinum Edition. Paid 20k. I think that's a decent deal and in line with what was on cars.com at the time.
  • footwoodfootwood Member Posts: 16
    The 2008 LE pathfinder with dvd mats and wind defl has a MSRP of 39560.00 and a invoice price of 36618.00 which would make the selling price 36418.00.

36 mos 12k per yr is 548.00 plus tax and mv res is 21758.00 and money factor is .001170

39 mos 12k per yr is 542.00 plus tax and mv res is 21362.40 and money factor is .002090
  • otaota Member Posts: 1
    Got a price quote on a 2007 Pilot for 27.5 out the door for an EX with Leather, sunroof, and the premium package. Really have my heart set on a Pathfinder instead. Do you think the Nissan dealers will bite and try to compete? Priced out my Pathfinder with the same options, and MSRP is about the same as the Pilot (33k). Any advice at landing a pathfinder for the same price as the Pilot?
  • aggie10aggie10 Member Posts: 17
    I have negotiated a final price of $23,950 for a 2008 Storm Gray Nissan Pathfinder S + TTL. Do you think that's a good deal? Thanks.
  • theo2076theo2076 Member Posts: 4
    2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 V6
    -Storm Gray
    -Leather Package (Graphite)
    -Premium Package
    -XM
    -Floor Mats
    -Sun Roof Wind Deflector

MSRP: $35,810

Price Offered: $32,400

The above price does not factor in the $1,000 Customer Cash, which I may put towards the car, or just put in my pocket.

What do you think?
    Based on a lot of assumption,
    Color= unknown,
    Tax = unknown
    Tag = unknown
    MSRP based on your number= 35,810.00
    Invoice based on Edmunds' spec= 32,943.00
    Holdback 2%= 658.00
    Rebate= 1,000.00
    Market Support= 500.00
    True Invoice(Invoice - Rebate - Holdback - Market Support)= 30,785.00
    Tax 6% $100 tags:
    Tax tags(% x true invoice)+(tags=$100est)1,947.10
    low ball(true invoice - 2k + tax)= 30,732.10
    Target Price(MSRP - rebate or Sale price - Low ball offer / 2 + low ball offer): 32,771.05
    REMEMBER, do not and will not negotiate with dealer anything but OTD price!
    Color: Storm Gray
    Tax = 6%
    Tag = $135

The came back with $31,900 (includes rebates).

I am going to lease this vehicle.
    Well I guess you don't get the rebate if you lease. Here is the breakdown of the latest offer:

2008 SE 4x4 V6 (Leather, Premium, XM, Mats)
    MSRP: 35,710
    Purchase Price: 32,900
    Adj Price: 31,895 ($1,005 from trade)
    36 Months/15k miles
    Residual: 57%
    Money Factor: .00192 (4.608%)
    Tax: 6%
    Acq. Fee: 595
    Payment: $464
  • leftylangleftylang Member Posts: 5
    Theo2076

A question - Nissan dealer in NJ is telling me that the money factor and residual factor are locked and not negotiable. I am also looking at a 2008 SE with Leather, Prem., Sat and mats. The lease terms are similar except

Money factor is .0022
    Residual value is 56%

This lease requires $2500 at signing

Are they being honest with the locked rates? BTW this lease for a 24 month had a money factor of .00192 - I dont get it??

Thanks
    I believe the money factor and residual is based on the term of the lease, the amount of miles you want, and your credit score.

I only had to pay first months payment and $50 doc fee. I also got them to waive the security deposit.
  • shancanshancan Member Posts: 1
    HI there,
    I am doing research on Durango's that have caught fire. My son in law is in ICU burn unit right now due to his 04 catching on fire...can you please have your friend whose durango burnt contact me PLEASE...we need to try and get this info out to the public as it could save lives.
    Sincerely,
    Shannon
    You must have missed this report back in March 2007
    Dodge Recall">link title
  • pathy08lepathy08le Member Posts: 1
    What is Market Support and how is it determined?
    How is Holdback determined?

Thank you very much!
  • bama10bama10 Member Posts: 4
    I live in the southeast and I am looking to buy a 08 Pathfinder LE. What is the best price I should expect? The dealers will drop to the low 32's quickly but does not want to move from there. I think I can do better. I have looked at 07's but the price is so close to the 08 and the backup camera in the 08 is a plus because my wife has hit a few things with the Tahoe (ok I admit it really me). I will travel a bit if the price is right. I hear the car market is soft but Nissan does not seem to have excess inventory.
    Go to Edmunds.com and spec the exact LE you want with all the trim and options. Come back with MSRP, Dealer's offered price and Edmunds TMV's price. I can calculate an approximate "target" price for you.
    Here are the numbers
    MSRP $35,965 INVOICE $33,300 TMV 35,004 Less $1000 rebate Customer Cash Adjusted True Market Value $34,004
    What I don't understand is that the dealer came off the TMV price in a new York minute? Are they hurting for sales? I once bought a Lexus Es300 by sending out emails to all the dealers and a dealer in Melbourne, FL gave me a price way below everyone else, our local dealer would not match it so we took a vacation to Orlando/Melbourne, FL and picked up the new car. Does the email approach work with many dealers?
    Yes, the email approach works with many items, much less dealers. Getting 10-20 bids helps on anything. Your experience with the Lexus is illustrative. TMV is sometimes grossly inaccurate, especially on the low mpg cars. I would want at least 6000 off MSRP for a 36000 pathfinder.

Good luck
    --jjf
    I appears Nissan is doing better than I thought, I tried 30K by email and the salesman reply was "thats not going to happen". I think that was a polite go pound sand. I could not believe he did not at least try to give me a higher number. And other emails I sent have gone unanswered (no price on them) Any suggestions, I am ready to buy but I want to make my dollars go as far as I can.
    Realistically speaking, if you are going to buy this vehicle you need to sit and work out some number. I must say, i repeat myself a few times on this message thread how to get a "TARGET" number when dealing with dealers, NOT a number that you pull off air.

$30K is of course NO DEAL for a Nissan LE model.

Let's be specific of what you want and what you.

What is the MSRP? Invoice? Hold-Back?

Ultimately, what is your OUT THE DOOR targeted price where you're comfortable to pay. Don't think of the monthly payment, because nobody asks you: So how much you pay a month for this brand new truck? They always ask, or at least I do, "How much did you pay for this truck?"

Again, I must agree with the dealer, you are sending $30 offer for a LE is to them just as good as "go pound sand" as you said.

Based on your research, how much do you know the LE would cost, realistically speaking...
  • nybrokernybroker Member Posts: 25
    on a 2008 Pathfinder S 4X4 vehicle base model no other options

MSRP is 28,525 invoice as per edmunds is 26,777(inc destination)

according to prior posts this is what i got can anyone confirm

holdback 2%=570
    rebate = 1750
    market support =500

True invoice = 25705

Cars direct is at 25207, no haggle price im sure I could do better. What should I offer!

Also I am in NJ anyone know a good dealer in this state. I have been to 3 Nissan dealers over the years and have not been happy nor purchased a Nissan because of them.
    MSRP= 28,525
    Invoice= 26,777
    Holdback= $570.50
    Rebate= $1,750.00
    Market Support= $500.00
    True Invoice(Invoice - Rebate - Holdback - Market Support) $23,956.50
    Tax % tags $24,756.50
    Tax tags(% x true invoice)+(tags=$100est) 6.00% 100 $1,585.39
    low ball(true invoice - 2k + tax)= $23,541.89
    Target Price(MSRP - rebate or Sale price - Low ball offer / 2 + low ball offer) $25,158.45
    I keep trying to figure out why you and others include tax & tags in the negotiation of the price of a car and I came up blank. Tax & tags do not go in a dealers pocket and they varies by state, county and city, it seems to me that this practice only makes the price more confusing. Would it not be easier to state what a dealer will/should accept as a minimum profit and ad that number to the "true invoice"?
  • 06asmsi06asmsi Member Posts: 12
    For anyone interested, Nissan is running a 269.00 a month lease on the Pathfinder S. Sign and Drive... no Deposit or Cash Due at signing other than first months payment tax and title..in Georgia my county 285.14 monthly for 39 months. 12,000 miles per year.
  • kkillmeykkillmey Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking at a Blue 2006 Pathfinder - SE Off Road with 13,977 miles. With the following extras:
    Hill Descent Control, Auto Air Conditioning, Rear Air, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Tilt Wheel, AM/FM Stereo, Mp3 (Multi Cd), Dual Front Air Bags, ABS (4-Wheel), Power Seat, Moon Roof, Roof Rack, Privacy Glass, Running Boards, Towing Pkg, Alloy Wheels, Bose Premium Sound, Continuous Valve Timing Control (Cvtcs), 4-Wheel Limited Slip (Abls), Vehicle Dynamic Control (Vdc), Hill Descent Control (Hdc), Hill Start Assist (Hsa), two-toned cloth seats

The asking price is $23,993 at a Ford Dealer. What is a good price for this vehicle? Anything I should know about the cons of the Off Road model?

Thanks!!