Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hybrids in the News

Comments

• tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200410/200410010025.h- tml

Hyundai Unveils Environment-Friendly Hybrid Car
    Hyundai Motor introduced its Click hybrid model at a ceremony to celebrate the development of future vehicles, held at the Grand Hyatt Seoul on Friday. The company has provided 50 hybrid Clicks to the Ministry of Environment and becomes the first Korean automaker to mass produce road-ready hybrid cars.

Hyundai Motor has invested W10.6 billion in developing the Click hybrid vehicle, which has a fuel efficiency of 18 kilometers per liter, 5.9 kilometers longer than its gasoline-powered cousins currently on the market. Hyundai Motor Chairman Chung Mong-koo said that the company plans to develop a new hybrid car model named the MC by the end of next year and will sell them on the consumer market starting in 2006. Hyundai Motor will invest W300 billion by 2010 to expand its production capacity to 300,000 hybrid cars a year.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Hyundai should focus on getting its gasoline engine right (when it comes to fuel economy).
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    "Hyundai should focus on getting its gasoline engine right (when it comes to fuel economy)."

Why would you say that? The Elantra gets better mileage than the comparable 4 cylinder Accord and has a better Emissions rating.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Hyundai is putting a lot of focus on getting its gas engines "right." I guess you missed all the press over the past couple of years about Hyundai's next generation of ICE engines. Here's just one article on the subject, from
    http://www.aiada.org/publications.asp?id=5102004-20&pub=First- Up

Hyundai Alabama Plant Integral to Future Plans; Automaker’s Quality Improvement Push Yields 300,000-Mile Life Span Engine
    Hyundai Motors’ new Montgomery, Alabama, production facility will play a major role in the company’s aggressive plan to unveil six new or redesigned vehicles in the next three years.? Two of Hyundai’s higher-volume new vehicles, the Santa Fe and the Sonata, will be produced in Alabama, where “production capacity is 300,000 units,” reports Automotive News, which spoke to Heung Soo Lheem, the company’s senior vice president of export planning. In the meantime, the Korean automaker that surprised the Automotive industry last week when it leapfrogged to the top of J.D. Power’s Initial Quality rankings, is sending signals that, now more than ever, it is pushing forward with plans to further increase the quality of its vehicles.? Automotive News reports the automaker plans to utilize a “high-tech engine family with a planned 300,000-mile life span” in most of its vehicles.? The Chrysler Group and Mitsubishi Motors Corp. will also swap its existing four-cylinders with Hyundai’s.? ”The engine family has three displacements, 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4 liters. Turbocharged versions also will be available, along with a liquid-propane version that at least Hyundai will offer. All versions will be equipped with variable valve timing to improve fuel economy and reduce emissions. North American production begins next year in Dundee, Mich.”? More about Hyundai’s industry-leading engine: “Hyundai engineers set a target of 300,000 miles without a major failure, twice the Big 3 target for most engines.”? But Hyundai’s cautioned that it’s 300,000 target may take several years to realize because, as senior executive vice president for powertrains Lee Hyun Soon explained, "Some of the component suppliers will not be meeting the target."
  • zodiac2004zodiac2004 Member Posts: 458
    Why would you say that? The Elantra gets better mileage than the comparable 4 cylinder Accord and has a better Emissions rating.

You are right. They should focus more on their MBB/NW cases and try to reduce that number first.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    An Article detailing the Prius increase for 2005:

http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=45860
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    What data are you looking at?

Hyundai Elantra get Manual 34-26 Auto 32-24
    Honda Accord gets Manual 34-26 Auto 34-24

Given that the Accord is much larger, heavier, quieter, etc., Hyundai is not bad but far from Honda and Toyota for fuel economy (compare the actual Elantra competitors Corolla and Civic). You could also compare the Accord to its competitor the Sonata and the gap is fairly large.
    It is based on experience. I have put a total of 5000 miles on Sonata V6 (95% highway) and have averaged a shade better than 27 mpg. With similar driving style, I average about 32 mpg in my Accord (and thats a 1998 model, EPA rated on hwy at 30 mpg). Now, you could say that Sonata is equipped with V6, and my Accord is four-banger, but behind the wheels, the Accord is more responsive and feels more powerful (easier car to overtake on 2-lane highways).

BTW, in city I average 24-25 mpg in the Accord. I have little city driving experience in a Sonata (and none in an Elantra) and have not calculated mileage in those cars.

And if you go by EPA estimates and still want to compare Elantra to Accord, we should be putting a lot of things into perspective (MY 2004 comparisons):

Elantra 2.0-liter I-4 (auto) compact sedan
    Engine Output: 132-138 HP/136 lb.-ft
    Curb Weight: 2700 lb
    Mileage: 24/32 mpg
    Greenhouse Gas Emissions: 7.0

Accord 2.4-liter I-4 (auto) midsize sedan
    Engine Output: 160 HP/161 lb.-ft
    Curb Weight: 3200 lb.
    Mileage: 24/34 mpg
    Greenhouse Gas Emissions: 6.9

Accord is 500 lb. heavier, has about 25-40 HP more from a larger displacement engine, and still matches EPA rated city gas mileage (and beats on the highway by 2 mpg). In terms of performance (and size and weight and engine output), Elantra compares well to Civic, but you don’t want to compare fuel mileage between those two.

Now, Sonata is a logical comparison to Accord, and it comes with two engine choices (curb weight/size is about the same as Accord at 3200 lb.).
    2.4 I-4 (138 HP/ 147 lb.-ft) is rated 22/30 mpg (more comparable to the 240 HP Accord V6 than it is to the 160 HP Accord I-4)

2.7 V6 (170 HP/181 lb.-ft) is rated 19/27 mpg (so I actually did a shade better than highway rating).
    I guess they are trying to get it right. Hopefully, Mitsubishi gets a major role to play there, because DCX couldn't brag about its DOHC engines either.

But, what did I say?
    "It is based on experience"

I picked the Elantra 4 cylinder and the Accord 4 cylinder because EPA show them as midsize. With manual transmission the Elantra is rated at 30 mpg combined and the Accord at 29 mpg. The Hyundai also got ULEV II and the Accord only LEV II. The Accord has 3 five star ratings vs 2 five star ratings for the Elantra. Just seemed like a closer match up than you have suggested.

I felt you were a bit harsh on Hyundai announcing their upcoming hybrid. I think innovation is good coming from all automakers. None have a corner on the innovation market in spite of a few very biased opinions expressed here on the forum. For me I am waiting for a high mileage car I don't get claustrophobic in.
    Well, bringing up the weak link shouldn't come out as harshness. Drive train isn't Hyundai's strength, at least as of now. There are no two ways about it.

BTW, more than compact or midsize, it is the weight and power that will determine fuel economy. Elantra is far from being close to Accord in any regard. Sonata makes for a better comparison.

To have a realistic chance at a successful hybrid design, the ICE part will have to be addressed. This is why we see companies like Honda and Toyota continually work on improving various efficiencies of their engines.
    Not in the news yet, but this has a potential to be! This picture appears in a preview of Honda Legend (aka Acura RL) in a British magazine’s website (The Autoexpress Preview). The preview doesn’t mention anything “hybrid”, and actually seems to have driven a different car (dark blue) compared to the one pictured above. But, under the hood, the shroud is identical to Acura RL’s!

This picture may have been obtained from Honda, but whoever provided it, did he/she know that the thing shows IMA printed on the cover?
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    They have the US hybrid bus market now for China - snip - SHANGHAI, China - The first hybrid bus to be introduced in China has been announced here today by General Motors Corp.and its local partner, the Shanghai Automotive industry Corp (SAIC)
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0410/11/autosinsider-299- 581.htm
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    An Acura hybrid, why not - snip - Acura to Expand AWD Offerings, Possibly Offer Hybrid
    WardsAuto.com, Oct 11 2004 WASHINGTON – American Honda Motor Co. Inc.’s Acura luxury unit eventually will expand its new Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive system to more models than just the new ’05 RL.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_acura_expand_awd/index.htm
    Prius at Slat Flats delivers 16 MPG at 132 miles per hour:

Say "smart car" and we typically think of the Daimler-Benz two-seater that first went into production in 1997 and can now be seen in many European cities. For as long as cars have been around, Europeans have been more conscientious about fuel consumption and extremely crafty in dealing with parking issues. Today, over 40% of cars in Europe use low-sulfur diesel1, which costs 30% less than standard fuel, gets 30% better mileage and emits fewer pollutants2. When we were in Europe recently, we saw and drove new, diesel-fueled Peugeots and Citroëns that were peppy, sharp looking and decidedly modern. We also came across service stations that brought inspiration to the highway.
    But the U.S. market has witnessed one hugely successful new smart car in the last couple of years—the Toyota Prius. A hybrid engine vehicle, the Prius employs new technologies to improve fuel consumption and conserve precious resources. A built-in computer optimizes the efficiency of the engine's dual power sources of gas and electricity. On a standard highway, the Prius delivers approximately 50 miles to the gallon, and accelerates and cruises at normal speeds.
    Two months ago, we were invited to witness the 2004 Prius establish a performance record at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah during Speed Week. Twice a year, this event attracts a motley crew of garage mechanics, engineers and friendly, independent, rebellious speed geeks who camp out in 100-degree desert heat in the hopes of establishing new land speed records. People old and young come to watch the events, decked out in almost comical hats and other shading devices, with not a trace of designer black in their wardrobes. Names of local garages and crews grace the car bodies, rather than graphic logos for beer and cigarette companies. This is authentic American hot-rodding that dates back to the 1950s. A day pass is only $8, and you can walk around and watch hundreds of amazing vehicles work out on the five- and seven-mile straightaways, reaching speeds of up to 300 mph. Click here for more images.
    Speed-racing at the salt flats has been drawing attention since 1914, when a Blitzen Benz set a record of 141.73 mph. Since that time, drivers have been setting records with a variety of vehicles, including a record of 622.4 mph set by a jet powered vehicle. Cars, motorcycles, trucks and all kinds of machines descend upon the desert to establish personal bests. The character of these events is somewhere between The Road Warrior, Burning Man, The Right Stuff and a J.M.W. Turner landscape. It is a surreal environment, with crunchy salt underfoot, horizons shimmering from the sweltering heat, and a pageant of car buffs, trailers and all the paraphernalia that goes into the unique engine-driven subculture.
    The Toyota Prius was the unique entry this year and drew much attention as an example of an environmentally sensitive car and as an important piece of modern design. At the salt flats, it established a land speed record exceeding 132 mph, and, amazingly, delivered 16-plus miles per gallon while zooming along at its highest speeds. Kudos to the Prius team of Japanese and American engineers and designers who were all present for this event—and who drove during the trials, rather than employing professional speed racers.
    The Prius is a beacon of hope for the U.S. auto market. With its stylish looks and a sticker price of just over $20,000, the Prius has mass appeal, in addition to making a difference to the environment. Toyota will sell 100,000 Prius' in their first year and there is a waiting list of several months to buy one. The overwhelming demand has spurred many U.S. automakers to introduce similar hybrid engines for their vehicles. Along with the European smart car, it hopefully signals a turning point in the industry, or at least a willingness to take on the problems of pollution and resource depletion that the car industry has in large part contributed
    Now, if you happen to be Toyota and make your money by being the "second rat who gets the cheese" instead of the "early bird who gets the worm", you will pursue the same tact but a little more subtley so as not to truly inflame your loyal customers.
    You will provide a BEV conversion to a normal vehicle but still restrict its distribution (partly because your government isn't funding much of the effort)
    You will make sure your BEV conversion is functional but not particularly exciting or eye catching so as not to raise the average person's interest or attract regulatory action against you
    You will launch a hybrid that still contains components from all your corporate divisions

Very interesting article....

http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=754
  • wellhallwellhall Member Posts: 20
    Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:43:03 -0400
    Subject: IR-2004-125 -- 2005 TOYOTA PRIUS CERTIFIED FOR CLEAN-FUEL DEDUCTION; NEW LAW RESTORES FULL DEDUCTION AMOUNT FOR 2004 AND 2005
    To: "IRS News Release Service" <irs-newswire@lists.qai.irs.gov>

IR-2004-125, October 14, 2004

2005 TOYOTA PRIUS CERTIFIED FOR CLEAN-FUEL DEDUCTION; NEW LAW RESTORES FULL DEDUCTION AMOUNT FOR 2004 AND 2005

WASHINGTON &#151;The Internal Revenue Service has certified theToyota Prius for model year 2005 as being eligible for the clean-burning fuel deduction. The certification means taxpayers who purchase this vehicle new may claim a tax deduction of $2,000 on Form 1040.

Federal tax law allows individuals to claim a deduction for the incremental cost of buying a motor vehicle that is propelled by a
    clean-burning fuel. By combining an electric motor with a gasoline-powered engine, these hybrid vehicles obtain greater fuel efficiency and produce fewer emissions than similar vehicles powered solely by conventional gasoline-powered engines.

Under the recently signed Working Families Tax Relief Act of 2004, the clean-burning fuel deduction is up to $2,000 for certified vehicles first put into service in 2004 and 2005. The deduction will be limited to $500 for vehicles placed in service in 2006 and no deduction will be allowed after that year.

The one-time deduction must be taken in the year the vehicle is originally used. The taxpayer must be the original owner. Individuals take this
    benefit as an adjustment to income on Form 1040. They do not have to itemize deductions on their tax returns to claim it.

The amount of the deduction for the 2005 model year Prius was set after the manufacturer, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., documented for the IRS
    the incremental cost related to the vehicle&#146;s electric motor and related equipment.

The IRS previously certified the Toyota Prius for model years 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004. The IRS also previously certified the Honda Insight for
    model years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 and the Honda Civic Hybrid for model year 2003 and 2004.
    Euro Accord "Muscle-Tec" (2003 Geneva Auto Show)

350 HP of Hybrid (IMA) power delivered via all four wheels. The powertrain was a hybrid of...
    2.0-liter I-4 DOHC i-VTEC (200 HP)
    Electric Motors/IMA (150 HP)
  • little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    The photo shown on the link is similar to the US Acura TSX. Definitely a compact model compared to the midsize US Accord. The TSX is listed as 200HP for a 2.4L engine. The Civic hybrid uses a 1.3L engine and is listed at 93 HP. The coming Accord hybrid has a 15HP electric motor attached to it.

Getting 200HP on a 2L engine is possible with some modifications and add-ons. 150HP electric motors has been around for decades in various industries. These are big and heavy motors. To be able to integrate a motor (or motors) that total 150hp into a compact car is a very huge technological advancement. Equally impressive is a battery so compact that could support the power appetite of this motor. Then we factor in the weight of the motor, battery, and the really thick copper wires to support all that ampreage.

Honda must have developed something really big in car technology 2 years ago or the article above may have been a result of misinformation.
    The 2.0-liter I-4 is the engine that Honda uses in the RSX (now rated 210 HP) and JDM Accord Euro-R (220 HP).

As far as the electric motor is concerned, among all the high powered hybrid prototypes from Honda are concerned, this is the most powerful IMA set up. Here are the others...
    2001 Dual Note (300 HP 3.5/V6 + 100 HP IMA)
    2002 RDX (190 HP 2.4/I-4 + 60 HP IMA)
    2003 Accord Muscle-tec (200 HP 2.0/I-4 + 150 HP IMA)

At least one of the prototypes (Dualnote/DNX) didn't use batteries, instead ultra capacitors.

Unlike the IMA systems in production today, where an ultra-thin brushless DC motor forms a part of the engine's flywheel, these prototypes used a combination of multiple motors. In case of Dualnote, one motor tied to the engine (like typical IMA setup) and one motor each mounted in-wheel on the front axle.

Accord Muscletec was an official entry as a concept at 2003 Geneva Autoshow, but as always, Honda mentioned it as simply a "Sport Study Model".
  • usbseawolf2000usbseawolf2000 Member Posts: 759
    "2001 Dual Note (300 HP 3.5/V6 + 100 HP IMA)
    2002 RDX (190 HP 2.4/I-4 + 60 HP IMA)
    2003 Accord Muscle-tec (200 HP 2.0/I-4 + 150 HP IMA)
    At least one of the prototypes (Dualnote/DNX) didn't use batteries, instead ultra capacitors."

None of those concept cars would be possible with battery as the electric storage device. For example, Accord Muscle-tec 150hp electric motor(s) will need 10 packs of Accord Hybrid battery.

NiMH used in Prius is capable of 1.3 kW/kg. So, to make 150hp(112kW), NiMH pack would weight 190lbs(pure modules weight). This is optimistic calculation because car manufacturers do not push the battery max output. For example, Prius battery pack is really capable of making maximum of 47hp but Toyota decided to push it only up to 34hp to prolong battery life(Prius GT draws 47hp). That's why Prius' NiMH pack weight 99lbs. From that realistic calculations, a NiMH pack that can supply 150hp would weight 443lbs!

But, you might say Honda use Ultracapacitors right? The Ultracapacitors that Honda used in their latest FCX fuel cell hybrid can output 1.5 kW/kg. That's about 15% better than Prius' NiMH. To have Ultracapacitor pack that can output 150hp, it would weight 386lbs! So, is it possible to make IMA hybrid with 150hp electric motor(s)? Yes. Is it realistic? Not yet because the pack would be too heavy and extremely expensive. That's why it is still called Concept Car.

On the other hand, did you know that Highlander Hybrid and Lexus RX400H will have 161hp(120kW) electric motor? They only need two Prius' NiMH battery packs. To understand how this is possible, you'll need to know how HSD works.

Dennis
    None of those concept cars would be possible with battery as the electric storage device.

I&#146;m sure they had some energy storage method. And I did mention Dual note using ultra capacitors. You missed that.

For example, Accord Muscle-tec 150hp electric motor(s) will need 10 packs of Accord Hybrid battery.

Accord Muscle-tec should need more storage device, but your multiplication factor is intriguing to start with, rendering conclusions based off it useless.

On a related note, FCX has a 80 HP motor.
    "I&#146;m sure they had some energy storage method."

I am not so sure. Assuming they do, by the time that technology become mainstream realistically, probably so will the fuel cell. I don't see electric high power IMA hybrids any time soon.

"your multiplication factor is intriguing"

My bad. HAH's electric motor is 16hp, not 15hp. Accord Muscle-tec will need 9.375 packs of Accord Hybrid battery. My point is still valid.

"On a related note, FCX has a 80 HP motor."

Reasonable. Remember, FCX's main electricity is coming from the fuel cell stack. Ultracapacitors are there to assist for fuel cell stack start-up time and high demand acceleration. So, the 80hp electric motor is powered by both fuel cell stack and UC pack.

Dennis
    This gives an over view of the shortage of NiMH batteries for Hybrid vehicles.

http://www.fuelcellsworks.com/Supppage1295.html
    Assuming they do, by the time that technology become mainstream realistically, so will fuel cell

Fuel cell is already a reality. It is the refueling and cost aspect that are the deterrants. Here is a Honda FCX Road Test article if you'd like to read about it.

Regarding energy storage, when you know Dualnote used ultra capacitor, you don't have to assume it did (or did not). DNX/Dualnote, BTW, was a mid-engined, four passenger sedan with three electric motors.

My point is still valid

You wish. Let us begin with discharge/re-charge characteristics as it relates to power demand/delivery. For that matter, let us see how your point holds up when I provide you the following specs (of a "real" hybrid car):
    ICE Power: About 500 HP
    Electric : About 150 HP

NiMH battery pack was used for energy storage. What does your math suggest about weight of this pack? If you're wondering about the car, it happens to be the first gasoline-electric hybrid race car that participated in LeMans (1998, Panoz Q9).

Remember, FCX's main electricity is coming from the fuel cell stack.

And did you just assume that 150 HP (in Euro Accord concept) or 100 HP (in Dualnote) or 60 HP (in RDX) are designed to function just like they do in the current IMA offerings?
  • little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    Toyota has also it's own version of a high performance hybrid. Check this out.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

408 bph and a 0-60 mph in 4 sec.
    Thanks.

I've heard and read about Volta concept. It seems to have gotten more publicity than the Honda prototype (Dualnote) that preceded it by almost three years.

Dualnote had 400 HP, was a 4-seater (sedan), AWD (conceptually similar to SH-AWD in RL but with electric motors sitting on the front wheels), estimated 0-60 in low 4 seconds, top speed of 186 mph, and driven via 6-speed manual transmission (switchable to 6-speed auto). So, unlike Volta, this was a sport sedan concept.

I think the next hybrid from Honda would be the smaller (than MDX) Acura SUV to be produced in Ohio. And this could be the production version of the 2002 Acura RDX prototype. Honda has already announced production of "the smaller SUV".
    "Fuel cell is already a reality. It is the refueling and cost aspect that are the deterrants."

Contradictory statement. Your reality must be so different from many others. You must have millions of dollar to own FCX with solar power hydrogen generator at your home and drive no further than 80 miles radius. Let me give you a key word that we should look for; it is "mass produced".

"when you know Dualnote used ultra capacitor, you don't have to assume it did (or did not)."

Don't take concept car spec very seriously. Honda said so, therefore, it must be using UC right? Whether if it uses UC or not is not the issue. The issue is how large or expensive will it be? What if the whole trunk is full of UC pack? What if it UC pack only deliver 150hp for split second? Dude, lighten up!

"What does your math suggest about weight of this pack?"

See my previous post for the number. That is what I derived from current mass produced production hybrid car sold to the public to drive on public road for at least 150,000 miles.

If you find a race hybrid car that is an exception, well duh! Do you know the capacity of it's battery in Amp Hour(AH)? Will the pack last 150,000 miles or just 24 hours? Many more things to consider.

You are trying to argue that just because concept/race car can do it, it means production car must as well. A very weak argument.

"And did you just assume that 150 HP (in Euro Accord concept).... designed to function just like they do in the current IMA offerings?"

Yup. Honda is on their 3rd generation of IMA and their future hybrids should have similar design as well. Did you just imply that major changes need to be done in order for IMA to have high power electric motor(s)? I agree.

Dennis
    With regard to fuel cell technology, I mentioned excessive cost and refueling issues as deterrents towards sales to a typical car buyer, BUT this does not make fuel cell technology unrealistic. There are a few Honda FCX, certified by EPA and being used by agencies in California making it the first production fuel cell vehicle in the USA.

By your definition, CNG powered vehicles are not a reality either! At least not until now when Civic GX finally opens up for sale at dealerships this year after years of existence as a fleet-only vehicle.

Back to hybrid cars and technology, I will gladly dissect your conclusions that are supposed to &#147;enlighten&#148; me while being based on presumptions:

Don&#146;t take concept car spec very seriously

Dual Note was a prototype, a step ahead of being just a concept. And I take things for what they are, sometimes to educate myself about the future. Couple of prototypes led to Insight. While I don&#146;t expect to see Dual Note reach production as is, it tells me something (you can ignore it if it makes you uncomfortable). Don&#146;t go on imposing your presumptions on others.

Issue is, how large or expensive ultra capacitor will be? What if the whole trunk is full of UC pack?

Only if you knew. Dual Note was a mid-engine sedan prototype, with a short front end. There was a reason I posted a side profile of the sedan. Except for ATTS and in-wheel electric motors at the front, the rest of the drive train sat behind the rear seat.

Expense is another issue. UC is expected to be more expensive than batteries (BTW, how much does the battery pack in 400h cost?). The upside to UC is… it is a one time investment. So, it will make sense in upscale hybrid vehicles at least until the initial cost can come down (and eventually should), also as the technology advances. We&#146;re already talking about cell phones using ultra capacitors instead of batteries. Honda has ventured into developing UC pack on its own, (FCX is using Honda UC pack).

What if the UC pack only delivered 150 HP for split second?

And what if it didn&#146;t? Do you realize, how vague this sounds? The 100 HP in Dual Note came from three electric motors, and this wasn&#146;t your typical IMA set up that you have seen in the three hybrids from Honda.

That is what I derived from current mass produced production hybrid car sold to the public to drive on public road for at least 150,000 miles.

And did you take into account current/voltage requirement based on design? Or did you assume everything based off a specific design?

For couple of years, Honda hasn&#146;t been shy of mentioning a hybrid vehicle for Acura, at least not since Acura RDX was revealed at 2002 NAIAS. Acura has just announced production of a smaller than MDX SUV in Ohio and rumors dominate this being the RDX. Now, this compact SUV had hybrid power in prototypical form, with two 30 HP electric motors mounted on the rear wheels.

If this were to be true, are you suggesting that RDX will require 4.6 times (physically) larger battery pack than one used in Civic Hybrid? Yes, or No.

Does Accord Hybrid use a 23% (physically) larger battery pack than Civic Hybrid? Yes, or No.

If you find a race hybrid car that is an exception, well duh! Do you know the capacity of it's battery in Amp Hour(AH)? Will the pack last 150,000 miles or just 24 hours? Many more things to consider.

Like what? The bottom line was size of battery pack. You have conveniently skipped that part. And this race car was developed in the late 90s, using NiMH technology available back then.

You are trying to argue that just because concept/race car can do it, it means production car must as well. A very weak argument.

A race car did it in 1998, where weight and packaging are of greater issue in a racing vehicle that weighs only 2400 lb. This is far from being a weak argument. As a matter of fact, you haven&#146;t shown an argument in this regard at all!

Honda is on their 3rd generation of IMA and their future hybrids should have similar design as well. Did you just imply that major changes need to be done in order for IMA to have high power electric motor(s)? I agree.

Without major changes in an evolving technology, you cannot follow a progression needed to be competitive. In case of Toyota, do you think a major, or a minor change was involved going from Prius I to Prius II? And what about 400H. Is it going to use identical set up as Prius II? Yes, or No.
    Hybrid cars 'too costly'
    18 October 2004, This Is Money
    FOUR out of five drivers would buy a 'greener' car if it was worth their while but many find the cost of new hybrid vehicles prohibitive, new research reveals.
    Although 80% of motorists know that a hybrid car could be better for the environment, people aren&#146;t prepared to make the financial sacrifice necessary to buy one of them.
    Research from the Energy Savings Trust, a policy analysis group that promotes sustainable use of energy, shows that just 12% of drivers would change from a conventional car to a hybrid without some form of incentive.
    Richard Tarboton, head of the transport energy business unit at the EST, said: 'Road transport is the UK's second largest contributor to climate change and emissions from vehicles are not only harming our environment but also our health.
    'These results clearly show that the majority of people in the UK are starting to take these issues seriously and want to see improvements.
    'Carefully targeted financial incentives are available through our own transport energy programmes in the form of grants towards the cost of low-carbon vehicles and emissions reduction technologies.'
    The EST claims that up to 24,000 people die in the UK every year as a result of poor air quality &#150; and it has grants available to help anyone buy a cleaner vehicle with lower levels of carbon dioxide.
    Electric hybrid vehicles are powered by a combination of petrol and electricity. They have a petrol engine and a separate electric motor powered by an energy storage device such as a battery pack. All hybrids use 'regenerative braking', which means that energy is put back into the battery when the vehicle brakes &#150; this improves energy efficiency and reduces brake wear. Hybrid technologies improve fuel efficiency and therefore provide considerable fuel savings compared to a normal petrol vehicle.
    Current models include the Toyota Prius, Honda Insight and Honda Civic IMA.
    The disadvantage of electric hybrid vehicles is the initial purchase cost. Although running expenses are typically two-thirds of the cost of equivalent petrol-fuelled vehicles, it usually costs between £1,000-3,000 more to buy a new electric hybrid than its conventional equivalent.

http://www.thisismoney.com/20041018/nm83628.html
    Although this is the UK view of the issue, I think it's interesting that 3 out of the 4 hybrid cars/SUVs currently for sale in the U.S. have an MSRP starting at a little over $20k, and the average price of a new car in the U.S. is $28k. That leads me to believe that people don't buy hybrids because the cost is prohibitive, but that they prefer larger vehicles to what is currently available in hybrid form. We'll see if the availability of the HAH and, next year, larger hybrid SUVs, will make a difference.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Getting 200HP on a 2L engine is possible with some modifications and add-ons.

Actually Honda/Acura does it everyday in standard engines:

Acura 2005 RSX-S 2L 210 hp
    Honda 2005 S2000 2L 240 hp

YMMV,

MidCow
    The Houston Atuomobiles in Motion was an awesome car show; free admission, free parking, free lunch, free drive all sorts of cars, trucks and SUVs coming to San Antonio and Dallas soon.

Anyway I drove a Siverado Hybrid. Very interesting the auto-stop was smooth and would shut down engine automatically. They shortened the drive shaft and inserted a MG that used electric power for up to 13 mph from three standard lead cell bateries. Above 13 mph or under heavier accerltion the ICE powers up and the MG becomes a genrator that can recharge batteries as will as supply 10Kwatts power ;tools, PCs, etc. .

Not much improvement in mpg about 20 mpg overall (actaully pretty good for a full-sized truck).

Built on exact same platform as normal Silverados, $2,500 option. Shortend driveshaft and 3 additioanl lead-acid batteries.
    I think the difference is in Europe they have great handling clean burning diesel cars that compete with the hybrids. The Prius is over priced for that market. I would take an Accord diesel over a Prius any day of the week. They are probably about the same price. In places like California and NY the selection of high mileage cars does not require all the fingers on one hand to count. For the richest country in the world we are deprived of a lot of decent choices in vehicles.
    Backy,

If Accord brings there new diesel Accord to the USA then I think Prius and other HS hybrid implementations sals and residuals will plumet. Prius serve a needs right now, abiet somewhat high priced to be a true TCO solution. but hey after the intial sunk cost (purchase price) the Prius is very economical.

Maybe they are waiting on low sulpher regulations in USA to take effect.

YMMV,

MidCow
    European market has plenty of differences from the American market. Now, in Europe (UK to be specific), Honda sells a Civic Diesel and the Civic Hybrid. The hybrid&#146;s on-the-road price is 1000 pound higher (15.1K compared to 14.1K). Fuel economy is virtually identical (combined mileage 57.7 mpg for Hybrid, 56.5 mpg for Diesel).

Typically, gasoline engines don&#146;t do as well as CTD engines in terms of CO2 emissions, but in case of hybrid, it is lower (116 for hybrid versus 134 for diesel). And other emissions (that US market cares about) are much better from the hybrid.

However, a typical European buyer has to look beyond all that. If diesel is considerably cheaper (unlike USA), small advantages (emissions and mileage) and a premium (regardless of how much it is), will not be enough to make up for it.

Now, in the USA, we will have to wait and see how diesels are accepted, and how they perform. Hybrids will continue to keep coming, that is for sure.
    I think that depends on how much the Accord diesel costs vs. hybrid options like the HAH and upcoming Camry and Altima hybrids. If there is only 1000 GBP difference between the diesel and hybrid, I can see many buyers opting for the (gas/electric) hybrid.
    If there is only 1000 GBP difference between the diesel and hybrid, I can see many buyers opting for the (gas/electric) hybrid.

Why do you think they would pay a 1000 Pounds more if the MPG were close to equal? That is assuming all the other options were equal. That is about $1800 more with no realized gain in economy.
    If economy were everything, we'd all be driving used ECHOs I guess. $1800 would buy you extra fuel economy (compare the mpg of a diesel automatic Jetta to that of a Prius, for example, e.g. C/D's September 2004 test), quieter operation (especially when the hybrid is running on electric power only, or stopped), cleaner and less-smelly exhaust, and less fuel problems (how well does that diesel fuel flow at -30 F anyway). Toss in the $2000 Federal tax deduction, the tax breaks from some states, and HOV benes from some states and you've got a LOT of reasons to go hybrid vs. diesel.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Challenge Bibendum - where energy conservation is the goal.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7667&sid=19- 6&n=156
    I was thinking more the Accord diesel vs the Accord hybrid. I have never seen the challenge of a Prius to a VW Jetta TDI. The VW out handles the Prius by a very large margin. As far as diesel and the cold you know that is a simple solution of mixing #1 during the winter. I still trust the proven longevity of the diesel engines. Back to apples and apples the Accord HAH gets about 10 mpg less than it's diesel counterpart. I would think for a Brit that would be a no brainer. And according to the article that is exactly as they see it. The hybrid is over priced when you have decent choices. The US is a different story. We have very few choices when it comes to high mileage.
    I didn't know the discussion was limited to the Accord hybrid and diesel. Is the 10 mpg difference based on real-world numbers for both? I think other comparisons are valid, too, since we are talking about an article comparing the relative economy of hybrids vs. diesels, and many people compare the HCH and Prius to the Jetta/Golf diesels--as C/D did last month, and found big benefits in fuel economy for the hybrids vs. the Jetta diesel under real-world driving conditions, with the exception of highway for the HCH (43) vs. Jetta (42).
    "Don&#146;t go on imposing your presumptions on others."

I am sorry if you feel that way. All you gotta say is "I disagree".

"Couple of prototypes led to Insight."

That's good. As you pointed out, some/most prototypes don't make it to production stage. As Dual Note concept is 4 years old already, it would be safe to say that the design was just not realistic for a production car. RIP.

There were 7 prototypes made and test drove at least 1 million km before finalizing on 04 Prius. If you know how traditional cars are designed and tested, you'll know how much extra Toyota to get it right. It would take an ignorant to call 04 Prius a beta product.

"UC is expected to be more expensive than batteries (BTW, how much does the battery pack in 400h cost?)."

$0 for 400h battery pack since rumors are that Lexus is going to warrenty the pack for life time of the car. Ultracapacitors can hybrid with NiMH battery to create more synergism. All it takes is a small UC pack large enough to do 0-60mph; (guessing 150Wh, about 50W light bulb for three hours) to handle the most extreme discharge and charge cycles. This would also double NiMH battery life. I expect this solution implemented in next gen Prius if the price come down enough to do so.

"And did you take into account current/voltage requirement based on design?"

Current(amp) X Voltage = Watt. NiMH modules are rated to output Watt per kilogram. The world highest specific power NiMH pack is used in Prius. I used it to derive the weight from it even though I could use lower power pack from Honda but I didn't. All the hybrids on the market today(Prius,HCH,Insight,HAH,and FEH) use NiMH modules somewhere around 6-6.5 Ah. Yes, I kept that in mind when I calculated the weight.

"Does Accord Hybrid use a 23% (physically) larger battery pack than Civic Hybrid?"

I believe Accord Hybrid's battery pack is higher in density, so it should be a little lighter and smaller than HCH. Suggesting minor improvement in battery technology every IMA generation only helps my point. Accord muscle-tech with 150hp electric will need a over 9 times specific power breakthrough in battery or major cost reduction in UC technology. We will not see high power electric IMA any time soon.

"The bottom line was size of battery pack. You have conveniently skipped that part."

No, the bottom line was race car's battery don't need to deal with city driving situations so I can conveniently skip that part.

"In case of Toyota, do you think a major, or a minor change was involved going from Prius I to Prius II? And what about 400H. Is it going to use identical set up as Prius II?"

03' Prius to 04' Prius was a major leap in technological achievement. Conceptually, both cars operate the same way! Sure 04' got more power, more in both gas ICE and electric motor. In fact, electric motor gained more power than gas ICE becoming almost as powerful as the gas ICE. The design is very flexible and allows that kind of optimization and results speak for itself.

For IMA, as the drivetrain power grew, the electric power lag behind gas ICE power. You can claim the next IMA will have much powerful electric motor but the track record shows otherwise. It becomes more clear that electric storage device is preventing IMA from acheiving a balance hybrid output. To change it, IMA will need to change fundamentally. Maybe become more like HSD by adapting series-parallel design as in that scooter.

There is not much more to discuss about this. I made my points enough to pin you down. There is no need for the count down. I rest my case.

Dennis
    I don't think there is any real world mileage numbers for the HAH yet. The Accord diesel has been available for several months and is shown to average 52 Imperial MPG. I think that should be about 44 MPG US. The HAH is said to be 30/37 MPG EPA which is about 10 MPG less than the diesel. However I understand the HAH will probably outperform the diesel Accord. Not by enough for me to buy it over he diesel version. The diesel mileage is closer to the Prius and that I think would be the decision for buyers given those choices.

I think people that are going for the absolute maximum mileage would buy the HCH, Insight or Jetta TDI with a manual transmission. I believe the tests were run with Automatics. Many people are getting 50-60 mpg and more with a manual transmission in all 3 of those vehicles.
    "I think the difference is in Europe they have great handling clean burning diesel cars that compete with the hybrids. The Prius is over priced for that market. I would take an Accord diesel over a Prius any day of the week."

Did you know that Accord Diesel is slower than Prius? They cost about the same. Accord Diesel get less mpg than Prius as well(go check on honda europse site). Sure it meets Euro4 but Accord Diesel is not clean enough to bring it over to US. HAD does not meet US emission standard that is already in effect.

Dennis
    Did you know that Accord Diesel is slower than Prius?

Your making a joke right? The Accord diesel is a 9 second 0-60 car easily. With 130 mph top speed. It has a combined mileage of 44 MPG US and far exceeds the handling of the Prius. The only reason they are not importing them is the ignorant regulations that CARB sets for CA. They easily pass current EPA standards for diesel cars.
This discussion has been closed.