Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado Hybrid Pickup

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited October 2014 in Chevrolet
GM Delivers First Full-Size Hybrid Pickup

By JOHN PORRETTO
AP Auto Writer

May 3, 2004, 1:33 PM EDT

DETROIT -- General Motors Corp. delivered the industry's first full-size hybrid pickup Monday to Miami-Dade County, one of 50 such vehicles expected to be added to the county's fleet.

The trucks feature a V-8 engine and four-speed automatic transmission coupled with hybrid technology that delivers 10 percent to 12 percent better fuel economy than GM's conventional half-ton pickups.

GM made the delivery of the Chevrolet Silverado on Monday at a conference in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Miami-Dade County plans to receive the remainder of the extended-cab hybrid pickups later this month.

....For the full article, see
http://www.greenwichtime.com/business/investing/sns-ap-gm-hybrid-- pickup,0,5412379.story?coll=sns-ap-investing-headlines

Comments

• theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    10% isn't that much, it's only like a 1.5 mpg increase. This system seems much more beneficial on a work site:

"The GM hybrid pickups feature four 120-volt, 20 amp electrical auxiliary power outlets under the rear seat of the cab and in the pickup bed that can accommodate up to four accessories while driving or when parked. With this auxiliary generator capability, the truck's generator can operate when the truck is parked without a key in the ignition and can be used to power anything from tools at a construction site to appliances at a campsite.

In the event of a power outage, the hybrid Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups could power tools or appliances for up to 32 hours non-stop. This design shuts the engine down before the tank is emptied, leaving enough gas to drive to a station for refueling. All power supply circuits are protected by a ground fault detection system to prevent overloads and short circuits."
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    10%, while it may translate to 1.5 MPG is STILL 10% and fairly significant. People are acting as if it's the end of the world when gas prices jump from $1.79 to $1.89. That's only about 5.5%

Using the truck as an auxilliary generator is an interesting angle...

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Yes, mathematically it is pretty good. BUT, imagine walking around in the Chevy lot and the regular Silverado says 17 mpg combined. Then you look at the hybrid one next to it and it says 19 mpg combined, but with a few thousand dollars tacked on. Psychologically, it seems a bit pointless.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    you are right: totally pointless. Why even bother? Going from 17 to 19 is an embarrassment, not a feat worth bragging about. Any driver can get that extra 2 gallons by sticking to the speed limit and keeping their cars tuned, and tires inflated.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    >>Any driver can get that extra 2 gallons by sticking to the speed limit and keeping their cars tuned, and tires inflated. <<

That means the hybrid could also get those extra 2 MPG by sticking to the speed limit & etc.

I think this points out a possibility with the upcoming hybrids - the heavier the car, the less advantage is given by the hybrid technology. The Highlander and Accord may not be as fuel efficient in real world driving as people are assuming, due to the weight factor alone. For the highlander, one must also factor in the poor c/d.
    We're talking about a vehicle that gets 15 MPG, so any realistic improvement in mileage is going to look like a small number. Think about it in terms of cost. Say you're getting 15 MPG and driving 300 miles per week. For round numbers, assume fuel is costing you $2/gal. 20 gals per week, $40 times 52 = $2080 per year 10 % of that is $208 in your pocket. But you say that's not worth getting because it's "only" 1.5 mpg gained.
    Just for comparison, let's look at a vehicle like my Sentra which got 40 MPG on my last tank of gas. 300 miles/week, $2/gal... that's 7.5 gals/week, $15 times 52 = $780, a savings of only $78 over the course of a year.
    The point is, you're always going to find a raw number that looks SMALL. "only 1.5 mpg gain" or "only $78/year", but that doesn't change the fact that 10% is a significant number. Also, that mileage is on top of the suggested "sticking to the speed limit and keeping their cars tuned, and tires inflated".

I don't understand how a 10% mileage increase can be considered an "embarrassment".

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!
    The chat room opens 15 minutes before the scheduled chat time, so come early and get a good seat! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    well, let me explain it to you then. How is it that the Escape (which probably gets 24 mpgs in the city on the 4 cylinder model) will get 35 in the city as a hybrid?? 24 + 10% doesn't add up to 35. If good ole Ford can do it, why can't GM??
    >>How is it that the Escape (which probably gets 24 mpgs in the city on the 4 cylinder model) will get 35 in the city as a hybrid?? 24 + 10% doesn't add up to 35. If good ole Ford can do it, why can't GM?? <<

The displacements on the two vehicles are completely different. The Chevy has a V8. It is never going to be as efficient as a V4; it has twice the cylinders and probably more than twice the displacement. Driving the two vehicles on an EPA test stand won't help the engine size.

Additionally, I have not yet read if GM is using a drive that is pure electric until a certain miles per hour, or is like the Honda IMA. The IMA will use those larger cylinders from startup. I think that Ford is using the Toyota method.
    that makes sense that the big V8 with its huge towing capacity would not get the same results. yes, Ford will use the Sanyo battery, and has designed their engine around the Toyota model.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    of the Silverado will be the fact it will generate electricity for use at construction and other remote sites.

Generator engines are not regulated. I read once that those commercial Honda generators pollute as much as 4 SUVs.

Having the generator as part of the truck also elminates using the resources to make a generator, lessens the weight load in the truck, and frees up space in the cargo area.
    For those who genuinely need a large pickup, mostly construction companies, this is actually a good environmental step to have the electricity.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I agree. 10% is substantial in the scheme of things on a truck. Even from a personal prospective, if I was going to buy a good generator for my home I'd spend more than a couple grand. Having all-in-one on the truck would be nice, plus you're not constantly filling the tank like many small generators. The remote power supply is very useful as well, particularly around a farm or construction site.

I think the electrical side of these is very limited for propulsion purposes. I read about it somewhere, but it's nothing like the Prius/Escape type hybrids that are forced to rely on very small gas engines when the batteries are expired. While the chances of draining the batteries on a Prius/Escape will likely be slim in normal driving, it would occur very quickly on a truck that was towing or hauling a large load. So if you put a undersized gas motor on the Silverado along with full-bore hybrid technology, the downside would be it would make a terrible truck.
  • well_informedwell_informed Member Posts: 34
    We're talking about a vehicle that gets 15 MPG, so any realistic improvement in mileage is going to look like a small number.

While I agree with yoru math, you start from a very questionable assumption,

Namely that the EPA alleged 15 mpg will be the REAL Mpg this big truck will obtain.

Have you seen any serious road tests that produced a Real Mpg Number for the Silverado Hybrid?

I have not. And tests like the 6-mile loop they did on the EScape Hybrid, driving totally unrealistically to get the highest possible MPG, are NOT serious tests.

If experience with the Prius and the Honda Hybrids is any Lesson,

the REAL MPG of the truck should be quite different, and less, than the EPA alleged MPG.

In addition, if the truck operates in cold weather, forget about it, all the benefits of the hybrid will evaporate.

BUT most important:

THE IDEAL Engine for any truck or large SUV is a DIESEL, a MODERN Diesel, with its huge torque at useful low RPM.

Unfortunately the big 3 charge $4000 extra for these diesels and few people drive them.

I have seen a Diesel that would make a Ddge Durango get 30 MPG Highweay, vs almsot HALF that with its primitive V-8.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I have to agree with you on the Silverado Hybrid. Why bother unless it jumps you up to at least 25 mpg around town. I get 14 mpg out of my 99' Suburban & 17-19 mpg on the highway. I am sure the way these things are rushed to market the first Silverado's will spend a lot of time in the warranty shop. Chevy is not big on loaner cars either.
  • terexterex Member Posts: 26
    What's being missed in all this conversation is the cumulative benefit of having hybrid engines on high volume vehicles. The collective benefit of a 10% fuel "saving" on a volume product like fullsize pickups far outweighs the offsets produced by placing hybrids on low volume relatively efficient compact vehicles. As for the diesels, the price premiums dissuade high purchase rates.
    18 of 18 by terex Jun 18, 2004 (7:52 am)
    What's being missed in all this conversation is the cumulative benefit of having hybrid engines on high volume vehicles.

No.

What is really missed is how Ecxpensive Hybrids are to produce, and how LITTLE are the benefits.

One can save just as much gas by driving with the tires properly inflated, avoiding sudden acceleration etc.

When the Prius and the Civic Hybrids came out, they cost $10,000 MORE than they sold for.

Toyota claims now that it can produce the prius at a "profit", but I do not yet buy that.

I suspect that they do not include the huge R&D costs on the vehicle cost.

You can think abnout it and see for yourself:

WHY did the Hybrids fail miserably in EUROPE, where gas ius $5.60 -$5.30 a gallon in the UK and Germany, respectively?

WHY are half new car sales DIESELS, Modern Diesels, NOT your father's Oldsmobile Horrible Diesels, Running on Extra-clean Diesel Fuel, the ultra-low Sulfur variety?

The collective benefit of a 10% fuel "saving" on a volume product like fullsize pickups far outweighs the offsets produced by placing hybrids on low volume relatively efficient compact vehicles.

I am not at all sure that the EPA claim of 10% is an accurate one. IF past hybrid mog is any guide, the REAL LLIFE MPG should be much less, almost Eliminating the benefit of the hybrid. And then you are saddled only with the cost, the expencise repairs and replacements, etc. Good luck..

As for the diesels, the price premiums dissuade high purchase rates.

These premiums are thrust upon the Diesels only HERE in the US by the GREEDY automakers. It is a short-sighted and WRONG policy. In Europe, there is virtually no such premium.
    As for the diesels, the price premiums dissuade high purchase rates.

These premiums are thrust upon the Diesels only HERE in the US by the GREEDY automakers. It is a short-sighted and WRONG policy. In Europe, there is virtually no such premium.

Not exactly, the only diesels available in the trucks are heavy-duty nearly over-the-road diesels. Far overkill for the average 1/2 ton truck, that's a fact. The diesel offered by VW in the TDI is about $1,000 more than the base 2.0L gas motor. It's nearly identical in cost to the turbo-charged gas motor. Except on resale value where the diesel is worth thousands more than either gasser. You'll also get the vast majority of the premium back when you sell a diesel pickup. The new Passat TDI is within a couple hundred bucks of the base turbo-gas engine and less than the V6.
    #20 of 21 Re: [well_informed #19] by sebring95 Jun 18, 2004 (10:26 am) As for the diesels, the price premiums dissuade high purchase rates.

Not exactly, the only diesels available in the trucks are heavy-duty nearly over-the-road diesels. Far overkill for the average 1/2 ton truck, that's a fact.

The diesel in the huge Ford Excursion allws it to almost double its very poor MPG, but costs $4000 extra. If you do a lot of miles, it is a good tradeoff. But not if you don;t.

The diesel offered by VW in the TDI is about $1,000 more than the base 2.0L gas motor. It's nearly identical in cost to the turbo-charged gas motor. Except on resale value where the diesel is worth thousands more than either gasser.

I agree VW prices its diesels resasonably, they got far higher resale value, plus they are probably not as unreliable as non-diesel VWs. SO if I bought a VW, I'd only buy a Diesel.

new Passat TDI is within a couple hundred bucks of the base turbo-gas engine and less than the V6.

If one does quite a few miles, family trips etc, the Passat Diesel Wagon isi hard to beat, and I bet it can tow as much or more than the more expensive v6 passat too.
    It looks like the government is taken a look at the hybrid GM full size PU. They are claiming 5%-13% improvement over the gas burners. 17 city 19 highway with a 4wd is not my idea of an improvement. The big question is will it pull a 10,000 trailer up a 6% grade? I am sure there will be people that jump on this new truck. Hopefully we get some of the answers to the many questions. Without at least a 50% increase in mpg at the same price for the vehicle, why take the risk?
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_news.shtml
    The big question is will it pull a 10,000 trailer up a 6% grade? I am sure there will be people that jump on this new truck.

Not an issue because the same engine is used regardless of hybrid or other. It's a very light hybrid system that mainly is only in use at very low speeds and for idling. I doubt you'll see any mpg change on the highway in real life (long trips). The EPA highway cycle is NOT just driving on the highway at 65mph, it's a warm start-up, lower speed driving, then some higher speeds. That's why many cars will beat the EPA on long highway only trips. My Tahoe regularly hits 20mpg on long highway legs.

There's also no Chevy with the 5.3L V8 (used in the hybrid) rated to tow 10,000# anyway, lol! Somewhere around 7500#, which is a lot of work for the 5.3L anyway. I keep my Tahoe around 5,000# and it does the job. Very aggravating though when I'm used to pulling 15,000# easier with a diesel.
    Sounds like the hybrids will be limited to the light duty 1500 series. Most contractors use the 2500-3500 HD trucks. So much for the built-in gen set. Tax credit is kind of wasted also when you can write off a new 6000# vehicle in one year. Diesel pickups are going to still be the way to go.
    I've heard a rumor of the Dodge Ram coming with similar hybrid set-up, but with the Cummins trucks. I imagine the 3/4 trucks will eventually get this if it works. Actually, a huge number of contractors and such use 1/2 ton trucks. Mainly because they're cheap and generally get the job done.
    I was thinking about the Oil field where I work in Alaska. All you ever see is 1 ton diesel crew cabs. Mostly Ford a few Chevys and Never a Dodge. Seems strange with that great Cummins diesel. I think the Oil Companies have closer ties to Ford and GM. No Toyota trucks either. I imagine we will get some hybrids if the fleet price is competitive and they get a tax break from Uncle Sam. BP knows how to milk the governments of all the countries that have oil.
    When I was in corporate, fleet buying was under my supervision. Ford is extremely aggresive on their fleet sales. Our statistics pretty much left us with operating costs that were equal regardless of GM/dodge/ford. Ford generally had a big advantage on the trucks, $1,000 sometimes. Once in awhile, GM would push a particular model that would be a better deal. Dodge rarely did any selling on the fleet side for trucks. GM pushed the cars hard, luminas would come in $500-$1,000 under a Taurus. I understand that Ford is now backing off of fleet sales, at least on the car side. Not sure they'll ever back off of the trucks, they've got a big profit center on them. GM will probably push these into fleets, particularly because fleets are more tolerant of problems and sometimes have better warranties.
    That fits exactly what I am seeing in the field. Also what I heard, that Ford was less expensive.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    >Mostly Ford a few Chevys and Never a Dodge.

Curious?

Why never a Dodge? Is a Dodge unreliable?
    Why never a Dodge? Is a Dodge unreliable?

Not at all. They refuse to give into big corporations on fleet sales. As Sebring95 pointed out Ford usually gives the biggest discount. It all has to do with dollars. I am sure to Exxon or BP a 3/4 ton truck is just that, no matter who makes it. They go for the bottom dollar. If Chevy or Dodge would buckle under they would get the sales.
    all has to do with dollars. I am sure to Exxon or BP a 3/4 ton truck is just that, no matter who makes it. They go for the bottom dollar.

Exactly. We were buying between 700-900 cars, 300 vans, 300 pickups, 85 medium-duty chassis per year, and if you can save $50 per unit you'll do it as long as the operational costs are similar. The operational and resale was always better on the toyotas/hondas, but the upfront cost was many thousands higher which would never materialize in overall savings. Same thing though on the 1/2 tons, fuel burn can be an issue and if one model gets significantly better mpg, it can correlate to cheaper operating costs and give you an advantage. At the time I was involved, chevy trucks weren't any more efficient than the Fords. However, I would think now with the V8's, GM probably already has an upperhand in efficiency. Another 10% with the hybrid system could be significant. My Tahoe was rated 1-2mpg higher than the Expedition was when we were shopping. Add another 1.5mpg and you've got a couple thousand dollars savings over a 100k miles service life. Significant when you've got 2000 trucks!
    I think Chevy has always had a slight edge in MPG over Ford. Where I work the big companies only buy diesels. They keep them for 3 years and send them out. If you get a Truck from Alaska with only a few miles it may be misleading. The last I heard an hour of idle time was the equivalent of 35-45 miles of driving. Many vehicles are started at 6 am and shut off at 7 pm. May never move from the power rail. It is easy to calculate. 400-500k miles equivalency is common. Fuel consumption is not a big issue in the oil fields, wonder why?
    Most trucks now have hour meters so it's easy to figure out on the resale side. Hybrid GM truck won't save anything over a normal gasser if idling is all it's doing. Although the built-in generator could be useful if you normally haul around a gen set anyway.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    what genious came up with a hybrid truck that gets another 1-2 miles per gallon? When you need parts and service on this, there will only one option...Mr. Goodwrench

I wouldn't take this truck even if it was $2,000 less when they want people to volunteer to pay more for it.

Is the warranty at least 100k miles on the hybrig stuff?
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    The humorous part is that the error-of-margin for measuring MPG is actually greater than the MPG improvement itself!

How will anyone even know what benefit they are receiving... unless they only drive on the highway, since there is a ZERO percent improvement for high-speed cruising.

The auto-stop ability is completely worthless unless you actually stop. And because this type of "hybrid" lacks the ability to contribute to propulsion power, driving without any long stoplights won't really benefit either.

How exactly can they claim this is a "hybrid" vehicle? There wasn't even a component change from a design perspective. All they did was increase the size of the already existing battery & starter and change the way they react. All else is the same. The 3 currently available hybrids and the 2 upcoming have much, much greater differences from the traditional design.

If nothing else, the "hybrid" from GM shouldn't cost so much, since they didn't do that much.

JOHN
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesdays... everyone is welcome and ALL things automotive (and some not-so-automotive topics) are fair game! Stop in tonight and get to know some of your fellow Town Hall residents better. We may even play a little automotive trivia!

Getting things started, from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, If your passion is Mazda or you just like to go ZOOM ZOOM, the place to be is the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

Imediately following from 7-8pm PT/10-11pm ET, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    full size pick up trucks are not commuting vehicles, they are work vehicles. When one looks at the hybrid Silverado from a commuter's perspective, it does not seem worth it. From a worker's perspective, its advantages are clearly obvious.

Many people who work with pick ups work in areas where regular grid electric is not available.

Until now, the option was to use generators such as those made by Honda. These generators pollute much more and use more fuel than a stationary V8 auto engine. They are bulky and take up a lot of space that could be used for tools or supplies. Plus, they are frequently stolen and less reliable.

The advantage of having built in generators from both an enviromental and work perspective are obvious to those who know what pick up trucks are for.
    Your right on target with perspective of the GM hybrid Pickup. What I wonder is if it would not have been more practical to incorporate their hybrid system in to a truck using the Duramax diesel. Diesels are much better for idling power. As improved mileage was not the main goal of this vehicle I wonder if it will sell to the general public. I believe all the first production go to fleet buyers.
    I think the regulatory framework has to change to allow more diesels. GM probably sells almost its full allotment of diesels in California, Mass. and NY.

GM already makes diesel hybrid city busses.

I imagine a lot of Silverado sales are to fleets. Most construction and agriculture operations have gone corporate. Presumably, these will always be the primary customers for large pick up trucks with built in generators.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > think the regulatory framework has to change to allow more diesels.

There's no need for it to change. The current restrictions are due to diesel not being able to meet the current emission requirements.

Simply reducing the emissions is all that's needed to be allowed to sell more.

JOHN
    the Federal Government allows refineries to produce an older, sulpher laden diesel that can never burn as clean as gas.

When and if the US goes over to the cleaner diesel, diesel engines will burn cleaner.

Even the best diesel engine will produce more particulate than a comparable gas engine. The European regulators believe the particulates are acceptable considering there is less pollution generated to make the diesel fuel and, of course, there is less fuel burned over all.

My understanding is that even before Arnold became governor, CARB was looking at allowing more particulate in order to accomodate more diesels.

In short, I do not think it is as simple as you suggest.
  • 88pickup88pickup Member Posts: 1
    Shouldn't this new truck get better mileage than my old 88? It had a sticker on it of 17 and 19 mpg when bought in 88. It gets in the 14-15 range . I will be checking this out again!! Maybe next year.
    I will be checking this out again!! Maybe next year.

Good idea. GM is totally re-designing their SUV & truck line in 2006. Hopefully they look better than the last few years. I had 1988, 90, & 93 Chevy PU trucks and loved them all. I don't think the hybrid will be sold to the general public, only fleet.
  • electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    All it does is "turn off when stopped". Big deal. I can do that NOW with my old car, just by turning the key off.

Also, it still only has ONE source to propel itself down the road (the gasoline engine) & therefore is not gas+electric-motivated vehicle.

trpy
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    It is definitely a "form" of hybrid, or they couldn't call it "Hybrid" at all...

"these trucks aren't actually propelled by the electricity they generate. Instead, an electric generator nestled in their transmission cases enable GM's hybrids to shut down their otherwise conventional gasoline engines while coasting or sitting at a stoplight."

So it CAN MOVE without using the gas engine and without the driver taking any action to shut the engine down (unlike a gas-only truck) and it does have an ISG (unlike a gas-only truck) and it does have two 20-amp integrated power sources in the rear (unlike a gas-only truck.) :)

It's great for contractors who need electric power on work sites. It was also a critical tool for the Florida hurricane season last year, when it was used to go to areas which had no power to help with things.

So although it is the LIGHTEST kind of hybrid, it's without argument a "gas electric vehicle" for sure, and last I heard, they call those "Hybrids."

&#147;In the 2008 calendar year, they&#146;re going to start building a full hybrid,&#148; said Brett Smith, assistant director of manufacturing, engineering and technology at the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Mich.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/11073011.htm
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Something is better than nothing.
    Its good that GM is also building Hybrid though it is Mild.
    Infact Toyota is also selling Mild-Hybrid in Vitz model.

Those who cannot afford Full Hybrid can atleast go for Mild Hybrid.
  • pontiacjeffpontiacjeff Member Posts: 3
    "Something is better than nothing.
    Its good that GM is also building Hybrid though it is Mild. "
    that is exactly right, the change doesn't seem like much, but how many guys can plug a beer fridge into the back of their ford or dodge when there out hunting in the far north?
    >>>>>>>>>It is definitely a "form" of hybrid, or they couldn't call it "Hybrid" at all...

Salespeople are professional liars (I know...I used to be one...and saw how my coworkers would lie to make the sale). They will call a cat a "dog" if they think it will sell the product.

If all the Chevy Pickup does it turn off the engine, then that means ALL cars are hybrids, because they all have that ability (just turn the key to off when coasting to a stop).

troy
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    And thus turn off your power steering (safety hazard), your radio, air conditioning, etc., etc.

This is just plain snobbery, plain and simple. The truck is a hybrid. Deal with it.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Haha! Jeff, the beauty of hunting in the "far north" is that during the majority of hunting seasons, you don't NEED a beer fridge! Maybe a space heater..... ;-D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Well, if you're going to allow calling this Truck a "hybrid", then I shall insist ALL cars are hybrids... all the way back to the 1940s.

After all, we don't use a handcrank to start our cars, do we? No, we use a battery+motor to spin up the engine. i.e. A HYBRID.

troy
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    OK Hybrids are 100% of the market then....:)
    I don't see much difference from the IMA used by Honda, other than the AC outlets...

Auto engine start and stop at speeds lower than 13 mph
    Normal and continuous modes for onboard generator use
    Energy storage module
    Regenerative braking

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/hybrid/
This discussion has been closed.