Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz SLK Prices Paid

lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
edited May 2015 in Mercedes-Benz
Hello and welcome, please share your SLK purchase experience here.

Comments

• adawaaladawaal Member Posts: 16
    I was wondering whether anyone has over the past few months purchased a new SLK230 and would like to comment on their experience, perhaps even the deal they got.

I'm in Chicago and just can't believe the numbers being thrown around, especially considering the huge number of SLK230s still on the lots (at least a few brand new 2003s as well), the fact that we're nearing the end of the model year, and the upcoming redesign late summer.

Thanks for any help!
  • claymore1claymore1 Member Posts: 21
    Just curious and new to this townhall. Is this roadster going to be around anymore for 2005? Is there anyone who can tell me how they like their 2004 roadster so far?
    Thanks for response.
  • smoothyaznsmoothyazn Member Posts: 4
    Just wondering if anyone out there purchased the new SLK 350? I went into the dealership in Hawaii to test drive it. The car is absolutely very easy on the eyes. I am deciding on whether to get the SLK 350 or SLK 55 AMG...The wait period on the car is about 4 months. I am wondering how much other people out there paid and what options they have on your SLK?
  • billymaybillymay Member Posts: 59
    smoothyazn: Yes, I put a deposit down on an '05 SLK back in June - was number 7 on the dealer's list. I test drove a 7-sp auto, irridium silver/black, in late Sept. and can confirm that it is light years ahead of the SLK230/320 from 2004 model year in any way you can think of. Faster, sounds better, looks more masculine, feels more comfortable. I owned one of the first SLK230's, and this doesn't even remind me of it.

My new car is due 12/17 at Mercedes of Escondido. Only options are xenons and premium package, and accessory wheels.

My dealer charges MSRP - no markups. I ended up ordering the 6-spd and a different color (capri blue/black) after my test drive, just because the automatic seemed a little too busy and complicated for me, and because this is a weekend car anyway -- not for commuting. Also, 80 percent of their orders were for silver!

I saw in ad in our San Diego paper for a launch edition SLK350 for $59,500, for people who don't care about money and want to jump in front of the line.

They did not have an SLK55 there and won't for several months, but for what it's worth the extra .5 sec advantage 0-60 isn't worth the extra $15K. Looks are subjective, but IMHO the extra front fascia ducts and sculpting on the SLK55 seem a bit overwrought, and the four tailpipes on what is still a small car might be overkill for some. It might all look better in black. Finally, you can't get a stick with the AMG version. However, if you like the look and have the $60K+ to spend, I have no doubt it will be blast to drive. 362hp!

Road and Track just published an SLK review in their November issue, by the way.
    thanks billymay,

the dealerships down here also charge msrp. they don't budge either. I wouldnt pay 59K for the launch edition unless it was fully loaded. The value will depreciate very much the next year and you would lose alot of money if you tried to sell it. The dealership here has several SLK's on pre-order and receives on average about 4 a month. I am thinking of waiting till prices start to settle down. I have never owned a mercedes before but I have been hearing that they have some quality issues lately. I drive a lexus and the engine is excellent, no maintenance necessary at all. I love the new look on the SLK350, it is a total chic magnet, also not too many people have it. I don't mind paying MSRP for new hot model, I just don't like it when the sales person makes 5-6K off of me.
    Absolutely agree on not paying $59K. Prices will settle. Mercedes doesn't usually move off MSRP for the first couple of years of a hot model, though -- the SL, CLK cabrio and SLK are all going to have strong demand for a while. In the long run, you're always going to take a bath on a new car, so to me it's all about the enjoyment.

Sometimes you can find an almost-new car, but an almost-new SL costs essentially what a new one does. CLKs and SLKs similarly won't be available as lightly-used bargains for a while. Demand here in southern California is very strong.

Regarding reliability: This will be my second Mercedes (first was a '98 SLK). I've heard M-B take some licks for quality, and I do believe that Lexus is a much better drive-it-and-forget-it car. M-B isn't the only German marque with issues. I just sold my '02 BMW 325 coupe which went through power window and sunroof motors faster than it used oil. Then the front brakes needed doing at 21K miles for $642 (covered under included service, because it was under 3 years old). My SLK, in 7 years, had a bad instrument cluster ($500 my cost after warranty expired, dealer helped cover the rest) and a bad fuel tank sender (due to California gasoline formulation, which affected other makes as well - covered under warranty.) Other than that, it was fine. I guess the point of my longwinded explanation is that complicated cars will always have more issues, and M-B makes complicated, high performance cars. As a footnote, my old SLK held its value extremely well - I sold it for 60% of MSRP after 7 years (low mileage, though).

My dealer experience with M-B has been superb -- enough that I sold my BMW and ordered the new SLK. Given the warranty, and M-B's recognition that quality has been a sore point, I'm hoping that they got the new model right. I did, however, go with the manual instead of the much-touted 7-speed automatic, which seems needlessly complex (and also less fun). Anyway I'm not losing sleep over it.

So, yeah, expect more maintenance with an SLK, but you're right about the looks. Saw a silver one this weekend, parked far away, and even in a common color, with the standard wheels, it looks almost exotic.

Having driven Lexuses, I can vouch that they're better built than any German car. Problem is, I think it's a tradeoff between maintenance and lust factor/soul. You will pay to drive a Benz, but every time I dropped the top on my SLK I was glad I bought it instead of a Lexus. My brother felt the same way about his 911, which was a pretty demanding car when it came to seals, adjustments and maintenance. It looked and sounded great, and that's worth a few trips to the dealer. My two cents, anyway.
    Congratulations on your new SLK 350. I totally agree with you about the appeal of the car. I've seen many hot looking roadster/coupes lately such as the S2000, G35 Coupes, and RX 7 but none of them compared to the new exotic SLK 350. Those other cars are very common on the road and hopefully with the new SLK, the price tag will help to keep it exclusive. So far there are only 30 SLK 350 here in Hawaii.

I am working with a local used luxury car dealer who has a deal with Mercedes of Honolulu to purchase their new vehicles for under MSRP. They will sell me the car for a little under MSRP and we will both profit from the deal. The options that I will add on to the car is:

lighting package, Power seats, AMG package, entertainment package, and wood trim. The total including destination charge and 4.6% sales tax comes out to little over 59K. Hopefully I can get it for 55-57K.

I have been reading that other SLK 350 owners are having their dashboard customized since it is made of plastic material and you can easily leave scratch marks on there. Other than that the car is perfect.

For the price you paid on the car, you get your value back when other drivers show you their envy on the road.
  • myslk350myslk350 Member Posts: 3
    I've owned my new SLK 350 for about 2 weeks now. What a thrill! The car, with the options that should be standard in this calibre of vehicle, cost much more than the suggested base model MSRP (45,600 vs. 54,000). I just can't wait for the break-in period to pass so I can see what the engine can really do. Overall the car is very responsive, quick on take off, and turns a lot of heads. The optional premium sound system by Harmon Kardon gets you SUPERB sound and the Command Center console, but will add about $1700.
    wow cool... I am picking up my SLK 350 tomorrow in Honolulu. I ended up paying MSRP for the car. I did my research and ask several dealers on the mainland how much they are selling their cars. They stated that everyone is paying MSRP due to the high demand and waiting period for the car. I paid 59K fully loaded including tax and destination charge. I can't wait to take it for a joy ride with the top down. The Valvona wood trim is worth it. I will post up my experience with the car in the next few days.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    With the strong demand for MB's coupes and convertibles as of late, the residuals for these must be quite high and very attractive to lease. Has anybody been quoted lease residuals and money factors for an SLK350? The SLK350 is a gorgeous car.

billymay:
    Funny you had a bad experience with a 325Ci. It is totally who you talk to though. Everybody has different experiences. My Dad has an '04 X5 (which according to some is the red-headed step child of the BMW lineup) that he took delivery of in February with over 17K miles and hasn't had one hiccup. My friend's Dad has 2 S Class MBs, an '00 S430 and an '02 S500. They have each given him an immense amount of trouble. The COMMAND system on both cars went haywire after the warranties were up.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Nyccarguy: Yes, I'm sure it's a luck of the draw to some extent (unless you buy a Lexus...) Don't get me wrong - I loved running even mundane errands in the 325Ci. I believe the X5 is a totally different platform, but I'm sure there are some shared components. If the BMW dealer had been great, I probably would have overlooked the flaws. But every time a window died, or the steptronic needed to be flashed (to fix a clunky disengagement in sport mode), I had to get on a wait list for the next appointment. That exacerbated even the minor problems. It doesn't take too many days of not being able to lower the driver's window on your $37K car to make you think a bit. Maybe it's not completely fair to blame the car, but you really do buy the dealer network with the car...

Both this SLK and the last were basically bought as weekend cars, and my M-B dealer is superb. ("When do you want to bring it in? Sure, no problem!") My current everyday driver is an '05 Jeep Liberty. We'll see how that goes. My '96 Grand Cherokee wasn't so hot. They cost less than half what an SLK does, so I'm more forgiving.

I'm starting to view European cars as fun second cars (SLK, SL, 911) or dream cars (SLR, Carrera GT, GT2/3). For the most part, they're overkill -- I don't need 300 or 500hp to pick up the dry cleaning or go to the gym. So, when I apply that standard to the SLK350, it's a fast and gorgeous drop top (as you say) with a good warranty that in the long term is more maintenance/repair intensive. When I sold my last SLK to a private buyer, her everyday ride was a Lexus RX300, so I don't think I'm the only one who is starting to think this way.

I do wish the German makers would make more of the complexity optional. I specifically did NOT order the new 7spd auto, power seats and some other items because the SLK is already complicated and not too lightweight. I drove someone else's '87 560SL last month, top down and, while the SLK would devour it on any track, the fun quotient was pretty good for a chassis that goes back to the late 1960s, IIRC.
  • iljimiljim Member Posts: 2
    I bought one of the first AMG SLKs back in 99. I have not been happy with the purchase. The AMG package itself is great, but at the core you've still got an "entry level" Mercedes. For example, the $10,000 in options doesn't improve the overall fit and finish or quality of the interior parts. It's frustrating purchasing a $50,000 car and have it come with cheap cupholders and other low-grade entry level parts. The new model SLK may have a higher overall build quality than the previous model, but I still think that you're better off with a stripped down SL than an overbuilt SLK.
  • bigcitibigciti Member Posts: 1
    I'm very surprised that everyone seems to be paying MSPR for the SLK 350. I recently pick up a new SLK 350 in Ct. It's Capri Blue/black, AMG,HEATING & LIGHTING PKGS. the dealer came in $2,000 UNDER MSRP. and I waited only 7 weeks for the car.
  • edslk350edslk350 Member Posts: 1
    I just worked out a deal for my new SLK350. I added the AMG package, Entertainmentw/DVD, Premium, Comfort, lighting and heating. Its a 7 spd, auto. in Iridium/Ash. I paid $1800 under MSRP. Didn't take much haggling and they had to trade with another dealer. I also get accessories at cost.

I can't wait....its due in next week.
  • slkhottieslkhottie Member Posts: 1
    WOW your one of the lucky ones!

Cause in California they are selling like hot cakes and won't budge a pennie. I guess we pay higher for everything here.

We just got ours this month and paid a hefty 55g's for one that's nicely loaded with everything but AMG pkg. But well worth the money spent to be one of the first. My girl friend got the launch edition and paid much more and has pretty much nothing but the name. But she did get her's before me and didn't have to wait. So that make's me feel a little better.

I had to wait six months for my E-Class when it was re-designed so I got lucky with this one and only had to wait a month and a half. So congrats to you and welcome to the CLUB. I guess Santa was good to you with the discounts.

Happy New Year!
  • keglerkegler Member Posts: 1
    I picked out a Firemist Red SLK 350 off the lot on Friday for $1300 under MSRP here in Germantown, MD. It has the Comfort, Premium, Heating, and Entertainment with DVD packages. It's one sweet ride and there was no waiting!
  • jeff192jeff192 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking at purchasing a 2001 SLK 320. I am down to 2 choices: One with 25,000 miles for

$ 30,000 or one with 34,000 miles for $ 25,000. Any thoughts?

How do these handle in the snow? I currently have a Lexus SC300 ( 25,000 miles) and it does O.K.

Am I nuts for considering swaping my SC300 for a slk320?
  • argwaaargwaa Member Posts: 3
    Most dealer in Northern Cal is taking order for $500 over invoice. But, it's a long wait. What about in Southern Cal?

Anyone from Southern Cal can share some thoughts?
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    .... **Am I nuts for considering swapping my SC300 for a slk320?** ...

As long as you have a 100k warranty and the Benz dealer has customer courtesy vehicles - then no, your not ...

Terry.
  • karlskarls Member Posts: 7
    We ordered our Firemist Red SLK 350 here in northern VA in late January, (unfortunately at MSRP since none of the M-B dealers anywhere close-by were dealing for less), and it's been built and scheduled for delivery in very late March. Do you have a picture of yours you'd like to post/share?

...Karl
  • sodegsodeg Member Posts: 1
    Hi there..interesting reading as I have just orderd an SLK350 for my wife. She loves the black color. We are in the San Francisco area.

We got the heating package, CD changer, premium package, trim package, 7 speed auto. negotiated a $49,225 price, including dealer prep charge of $720. Expect the far to be delivered in May. Had 3 dealers dealing like crazy for our business. Still have one now trying to come up with a better deal for me, although I don't know how he is going to do it! My wife likes the AMG package option but I don't see the big visible advantage to it so we are getting the standard version with options. The only way this dealer is going to get my business now is offering us the AMG package version at the same $49,225 price but I think that will be impossible!

Anyway, point is, I think the dealers are beginning to discount somewhat. At least that has been my experience over the last 2 weeks of negotiating.

Steve
  • kvdctkvdct Member Posts: 2
    Smoothyazn is right. My husband just bought me a Mars red SLK350 with comfort, heating, entertainment, and automatic for $50,050. The sticker was $52,700. We found a dealer with some inventory in NJ and they talked numbers. We are from CT. We love the car!! We have even been putting the top down in the cooler weather. The headrests really keep you warm inside.
  • karlskarls Member Posts: 7
    You two are lucky then that you were able to find dealers willing to negotiate. I guess I could've expanded my circle of dealer states around northern VA, especially since we had to order the car anyway. But at least I got a place in the build line, so I locked in the (MSRP) price before this month's jump. Dealer still says they haven't gotten a VIN yet, which is disappointing. The car was supposed to pop out of manufacturing the first week of February. I always feel better it's really on its way if I know the VIN.
  • kvdctkvdct Member Posts: 2
    well again I bought an in stock one. If I ordered it, this dealer was willing to take 500 off. that's about it. It will definitely be worth the wait!
  • amgnutamgnut Member Posts: 16
    Sunny So. Cal, Paid $1000 over MSRP for my SLK 55 AMG. Had an 8 week wait. Worth every penny & the wait. Test drove 05 Vette, SLK 350 & Crossfire (wanted the SRT, but not available at the location I was at}. By far best of the lot. Exhaust note of the 55 terrific. Made the Vette sound wimpy. Vette is improved, but not worth the $$$. 55 much better trim level. On the vette test drive I asked the salesman if auto-stick was available - He said " I would recommend it, you might miss a gear and damage the transmission". Good-bye Chevy.
    MB dealer was great. No pressure. No haggle. 1st MB dealer I must have been too blue collar, didn't give me time of day. Glendale dealer lost my business. MB in South Bay was the best.
    My first MB. Couldn't be happier. By far the best car I ever owned. Maybe next time a Sl 55? I can only live in hope.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Thats interesting because I didn't think anyone would cross shop a Corvette and a SLK. I've been waiting to hear from a SLK55 owner since its intro.

What do you think about the car's styling and handling? What color combo is your car?

M
  • amgnutamgnut Member Posts: 16
    I shopped Crossfire also. I had a 98 Mustang Conv. Liked convertibles and wanted luxury + power. Thats why I went with the Mercedes.

I love the styling. AMG additions vastly improve the look over the 350. Lower stance, rear spoiler, AMG wheels, front dam (with side scoops in front of the wheels), inserts on hood vents - AMG did nice work on making the car look like a killer. The way the rounded top looks when its up is questionable - but I love the look with the top down. I get tons of looks on the road & at the gas station (the one time I filled up).

With 277 miles, I tried to be easy due to manufacturer's break in reccomendation. Handling in my opinion is sharp, but have not put it to the limit yet. I can't wait for the next time I go to San Diego area, I spend about 30 minutes in small twisted mountain roads. Acceralation is heart pounding. Last night I was on the on-ramp to 5 north, hit the gas to merge and lost my breath. So did the LAPD who was already on the freeway. He didn't pull me over (lucky me), but was obviously not happy about my 30 to 65 mph launch. He did pull along side of me, and through the window ask me to "slow it down" while pointing downward with his index finger.

Needless to say the car gets noticed. I intend to try to take it easy until 1000 miles. Maybe by then I will find the appropriate forum to test the cars limits. I considering Mercedes offer to take the AMG Challenge, although $ 1195 seems a little pricey.

My colors are classic Mercedes. Iridium Silver Metallic with Nappa Black inside. A great combination considering I didn't get to choose. I've seen a Black with Black / Ash interior up close, that was nice too. I was offered a Silver with Grey / Red interior which I declined. Not my style.
  • thankthepasserthankthepasser Member Posts: 10
    I was 100% set on buying a BMW 3.0 Z4 when I woke up this morning. I even planned on buying it in the next 3 - 5 days.

But, when I was out today, I decided I owed it to myself to check out the other options from competitors. So I went to Lexus, and looked at the SC (even though I realize it's not really in competition with the roadster/convertibles). Went and checked out the Boxster S.

And then, I showed up at the MB dealership. At first glance, I wasn't too impressed with the SLK 350 -- even the AMG. Nor was my wife. But the more I looked at it, the more it grew on me. I spoke with a salesman a little bit, and was totally upfront with him. I told him I was pretty set on buying a Z4, but wanted to take one last peek around to see what else is out there. He was really nice and understanding, didn't hassle me, and let me poke, prod, crawl in and out, and play with it to my heart's content. And I found myself liking it more. Then he asked if I wanted to take it for a spin.

And I loved it.

I'm not totally, 100% sold on the looks (especially from the side), but it is definitively a better vehicle on the interior than the Z4.

So ... all this being said, I am definitely interested in it, and am wondering if anyone knows where I can find out any invoice information on the invoice for these cars, since Edmunds does not carry it?

Thanks for your help.
  • slkloverslklover Member Posts: 2
    You can have my 2003 SLK230 with 21K on it for a shade over $31K. I drove the 2005 and was sold on it, minute mine is sold i order the fully loaded 2005.

Snow, who are you kidding? I have a 4x4 for that. I did try to drive once with a dusting of snow and almost lost it on the driveway going 5mph. The tires have zero grip in the snow, do not even think of it. It remain in the garage under the cover now from November until May.
  • slkloverslklover Member Posts: 2
    This is from November and gives you a rough idea (sorry about the paste format):
    2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class
    SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

What Others
    Are Paying

MSRP
    Invoice

National Base Price
    A note about advertising fees
    $45,500
    $42,315

$45,500

Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code Change
    -
    -

$0

Optional Equipment
    $7,270
    $6,762

$7,270

-- Metallic Paint
    $680
    $632

$680

320 Entertainment Pkg w/DVD Navigation
    $2,800
    $2,604

$2,800

326 Premium Package
    $1,450
    $1,349

$1,450

-- 7-Speed Automatic Transmission
    $1,390
    $1,293

$1,390

323 Heating Package
    $950
    $884

$950

Color Adjustment
    -
    -

$0

Iridium Silver Metallic

Destination Charge
    $720
    $720

$720

Total with Options
    $53,490
    $49,797

$53,490
    Thanks for the reply. Yep, you have the traditional Mercedes color combo.

I'm eargerly awaiting to see what the U.S. press has to say about the SLK55 AmG and the CLS for that matter.

M
  • mbdmbd Member Posts: 12
    Why doesn't MB have a pretty red color for their SLK sports car. The mars red is too muted & ugly.... not bright red like a sports car. Please ... get a real, bright red color.
    And, get rid of the ugly black plastic grates on the hood. They look cheap. At least color code them.
    And, what with a 6 disc changer that takes up almost the entire glove compartment. What poor designing. Why should we sacrifice storage area?
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Please keep the discussion focused on prices paid and the buying experience. You are welcome to discuss the pros and cons of a particular vehicle on the model-specific forums.

Thanks!
  • spacecase1spacecase1 Member Posts: 3
    I just closed a deal on a new SKL350 for $3000 of list. I shopped in the Phoenix, Dallas, ElPaso, Albuquerque, and Denver area. Phoenix is ~$1600 off, ELPaso is +1000, Albuquerque -1000. The availability in cars out of the LA port seems really poor. Denver (Littleton) is the place to go.
  • darius1darius1 Member Posts: 1
    Can you be a little more specific. What option packages did you choose and what was the final price for the car. (also does it include the recent $750 bump in price or was it off the lot at the old price.
  • dsbdsb Member Posts: 4
    in central valley california, i have found dealers that will take $1500 over invoice. seems pretty reasonable. what do you think? also, i know its not the right forum, but i have a question... if you get the entertainment package without nav; do you still receive the color screen? if so, do you think the look and features of the screen is worth the price vs the 6-disc upgrade option?
    I bought the 326 Premium, 323 Heating, 427 AT, 320 DVD Nav, 775 Iridium on the 2005-2 model which has the $750 bump from MB. $51240 out the door.
  • dsbdsb Member Posts: 4
    I assume the $51240 is before tax. The invoice on what you purchase = $50540. That means you paid $700 over invoice. I think that is a great deal. Can you confirm that $51240 was before tax. Also, where did you get that price? Thanks
    There is no sales tax on new vehicles in NM or in CO as near as I can tell. The dealer is giving me the MSO and I will pay 3% to register the car in NM. I am writing a check for the $51240 and driving off. I agree that I am paying invoice plus $749.

One thing I noticed is that there are cars that are on the ground that have 2005-1 on the sticker and those that have 2005-2. The 2005-1 have the lower price and you can get the sport suspension for $200 or so but now you must buy the AMG package to get the sport suspension.

There are two other dealers in the Denver area that said they would sell for $2500 off MSRP.

Good luck. I am driving up Wednesday to pick up my car.
  • rebukerebuke Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Just got a black SLK350 for 1000.00 below invoice. I did a ton of research, and ended up going through the internet department at the dealership here in SoCal. Saved me a bunch of $.
    Can an owner here give a brief statement as to how reliable their SLK has been so far?

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hey merc1, howzabout starting a new SLK discussion on our Coupes/Convertibles board? I know you like to talk about them, and that's a better board than Prices Paid for general conversation.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• slk200slk200 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my slk200k a year ago.It is a 2002 model (60000km) and I've had no problem.Best car I ever had!
    Chris johannesburg south africa
  • slk200slk200 Member Posts: 2
    Would also be interested.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    OK, I re-activated an existing discussion:
    Mercedes-Benz SLK

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mikeypdmikeypd Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking around to buy a 05 SLK350. Does anyone know where to go for a good deal on the SLK350 in the DC metro/VA/MD area???

Mikey
  • stroudmanstroudman Member Posts: 192
    folks, if you're trying to boil-down the numbers,it goes like this: mercedes fixed pricing about five years ago throughout the U.S., so the apple in Alaska will price the same as the apple in Florida, and everywhere in between. The mark-up in the cars is 6.9% across the board. So, you take the MSRP, subtract the $720 destination charge, then multiply that amount X .069 and that is the profit margin. Now before everyone responds with "holdback" and "rebates," let me say something about that, because this site is dedicated to disclosing that info, but I don't believe everyone thinks critically about it. In a perfect world where every car sells the day it hits the lot, the dealer NETS almost every dollar of that holdback. In the real world, cars can sit on the lot for up to a year if they're cold(wagons, for example) and consume not only their own holdback, but that of 4-5 other cars as well. All holdback does is pay the interest that the cars are drawing while they sit. A small dealership like I work at can expect to pay 3/4's of a million dollars a year in floorplan interest, and my store has two salespeople and we sell 80-90 cars a year each. The holdback barely keeps the lights on.
    Also, if you MUST be a shopper at this level of auto, try your best to buy from the people who will service your car, because the good servicing of these cars is far more of a value to you for the years to come than the moment of glory when you 'get the deal.' There is also, I think, the importance of spending your money within your community. Shop everyone else first, if you must shop, and give your local store the last word,(unless they are among the vermin that give this business a bad name). It's very easy to beat someone else's number, but pay someone for their time and expertise. Sorry for the rant. I'm a huge enthusiast, but I work long, hard hours(wah!) and feel like I have to defend the good people of my profession.
  • espresso1espresso1 Member Posts: 6
    My salesman showed me a netstar invoice for a SLK, which lists "IRG participation $500". He said it's a sort of advertising fee imposed by the factory. I don't believe what he said, but he insists the dealer doesn't get the money. It's strange the factory invoice has even code 905 for that fee.
    Has anybody seen this kind of thing?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    A lot of manufacturers add onto the invoice for national or regional advertising..

BMW calls it MACO.. and with them, it varies by metro area or region...

I don't think your dealer is lying to you.. If you think they are making up fake invoices, then using them to sell you on a deal, I'd go somewhere else.. but, that seems like a lot of trouble to go to...

When you ask to see the invoice, or negotiate a certain amount "over invoice", then expect to see a lot of extra charges...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator