Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Diesel????

gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
edited August 2014 in Honda
Here is the link on the Honda Accord Diesel tests. I see it broke many records for speed and economy. I'm holding off on the VW Passat TDI for now. see link: http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=234399

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    But I doubt this engine will make it here in the USA/Canada anytime soon. It is supposed to be offered in European CRV soon, but IMO, it would make sense here in the USA as well (in CRV and Element).
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The cars we don't have in North America section?
    Toyota Corolla Diesel
    Toyota Tacoma Diesel
    Mini Diesel
    Ranger Diesel
    Honda Civic Diesel
    Jaguar Diesel
    Isuzu Diesels
    and etc., etc...

Just add the Honda Accord to the list.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    will be in the US in about a year.

After that, many manufacturers should start offering diesels. Trucks, mini-vans, and SUVs will probably go almost all diesel in short order.

Isuzu Diesel is now GM-Isuzu. GM took full control over Isuzu's small diesel works last year.
  • avenger1avenger1 Member Posts: 90
    Not until 2006 for cars, 2007 for heavy vehicles/boats/etc.

Expect to see the oil industry to rib Bush/Cheney for an "extension" (wink wink). That will work well with the tax writeoff for gas guzzling SUV purchases.

I'd love to drive any of the new diesel offerings comming out around the world (heck, there's even a diesel passat in some states!), but I have a feeling I'll end up going with a hybrid accord.

GregC
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    I think in a few years (once the rules and fuel are straightened out), deisels will make a big inroad in the US, especially if gas prices stay high. If anything, it will help the US manufacturers, since they can keep selling high profit SUVs and trucks.

Some of the new wave of Euro deisels sound real neat. Good performance (and power where it is usable), with excellent economy. What's not to love?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ratbert1ratbert1 Member Posts: 72
    The problem with diesel in the US is that it has to overcome a bad image. People generally see diesels as clanky sounding with smelly, black exhaust that have fuel gelling problems as soon as there's snow on the ground. I'm sure most of here us know that's not true anymore, but ask Joe Sixpack and Eddie Punchclock and that's the impression from the masses.

Right now I have a subaru, but my next car will be diesel (as long as enviro-NYS allows them to be sold).
  • telemarkertelemarker Member Posts: 7
    Name three other cars in the 2.0 to 2.5L class against which it competed??? Passat is offically <2.0L as it would put it in a different tax bracket in Germany.
  • gatrhumpygatrhumpy Member Posts: 126
    That car that was driven was an Acura TSX, not a Honda Accord. I understand that in Europe the TSX is a Honda Accord, but the cars are somewhat different when it comes to the body and engine.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    When does the new, cleaner diesel fuel come to the US? I know 2006, but will it all change on January 1 2006? It should have to start sooner than that since 2006 models will start coming out in 2005.

Have any vehicles been announced as becoming available in all 50 states by 2006 models?
    I would think some European models that have already been in production will start to be imported to the US and some US manufacturers will come out with new models, but what?
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    I understand that ULSD must be sold no later than 7/01/06. My local Ford dealer told me that Ford wants to offer a diesel Focus for 2007 if they can sell it in all 50 states.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Program cancelled.
  • coil99coil99 Member Posts: 11
    I'd be interested in a diesel Accord. I would take a look if/when they make it here.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I would love that diesel Accord/TSX especially in a wagon.
  • f111df111d Member Posts: 114
    The CARB in California (per Wall Street several months ago now) embraces the "common rail" technology.
    The technology is in place and 18 wheelers (from Ham radio contacts) the new fuel is required now and the several I've talked have the new diesels.

GM's Duramax smells and sounds like one of their gas V-8's personal experience and from many friends. Not sure why GM & Ford aren't offering more in those oversized/misused SUV's?
    Could it be they haven't figured out how to convince the ladies using self-serve pump that diesel doesn't smell?

I still say GM should correct it's late 70's diesel gas-engines nightmare, they caused one bad impression. New marketing campaign.
    Personally I like the idea of 2.7 v-6 common rail diesel 206 hp 360 ft.lbs. torque @1800 rpm and 47.8 mpg at steady state interstate speed. Over 43 mpg at least the Ford of Europe's offering in the Jag.
    Actually that's way more than enough.
    The 2.8L MB v-6 (164 hp & 324 ft. lbs. @ 1900)in the "Sprinter" (tall) delivery van Fed-EX is now using is averaging 20-25 mpg. Direct from a manager of a HUB.
    Paul
    N8BUU
  • f111df111d Member Posts: 114
    http://www.abiresearch.com/abiprdisplay2.jsp?pressid=273
     Will emission control laws hamstring the diesel light vehicle market? asks ABI Research
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    In CA they definitely have. If the law was consistent it would be better accepted. It makes no sense to allow someone to drive a large PU that has an EPA emissions rating of 2. And disallow a smaller vehicle with a rating of 4 with very low green house gas emission.
    I thought this statement in the article you posted was appropriate.

"The results of the study lead ABI Research, in its new report, "Diesel Light Vehicles", to suggest that OEMs should aim their diesel products at non-urban markets, where users would most likely get better economy with a diesel than with a hybrid".
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Someone made note of Joe six-pack, He is my congressman right? I think he needs to drive one of these diesel cars. I would buy an Accord in a heart beat if it had a good diesel in it. with gas prices over $2.20 I'm crying for 45mpg...damn I'm crying for 55mpg! Better yet combine hybrid tech with these great diesels and get close to 70 mpg. Right now Joe is buying a huge SUV that gets 12 mpg.
    Remember Arnold said he has no intention of getting rid of his 4 or 5 Hummers. At least he is honest about it unlike many of the Hollywood greenies. We need to get the inconsistency out of the CARB rules.
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    A recent car and driver article on diesels was very informative on the liklehood of future diesels in the U.S. Despite the coming low sulpher fuels the NOx emissions standards of California are due to go nationwide by decades end. So unless a combination of intercooler and cat. converter technology arrives at a market friendly price we may lose the few diesel options we currently have.
  • ratbert1ratbert1 Member Posts: 72
    Diesels will be able to meet upcoming requirements. It would be really great if Honda brought their Accord diesel over here. I'm not so sure they will - they already have 2 hybrids.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..technology.

It (my 22-year old pickup) can't last forever. Hopefully VW will have the positive market research (Joe SixPack - love that expression - nonwithstanding) to replicate/update the 1980-1983 Rabbit Diesel Pickup.

With 285k on the odo - still 55 HWP MPG capable (at about 60 enr Brookings, OR.......

best, ez
    Amen,
    I keep my eyes open for a VW diesel PU. They are still the only decent Mileage small PU ever sold in this country. Virtually every country in the world sells small diesel PU's, except US. Pretty pathetic when 25 year old technology gets better mileage than any PU that is available new. Tells me the government & automakers are not interested in oil conservation.
  • ahousahous Member Posts: 5
    Honda introduced it to EU because half the cars sold there are diesels (they already have ULSD and they know better than to waste their time with hybrids). But it seems to me that in the US, Honda and Toyota are very CA-market driven, so probably waiting for CARB to get the clue (once ULSD is here?).
    One of the auto tv programs said Honda will bring over an Accord diesel as soon as they can meet CA emissions. They think they will be able to do it when the new low sulfur fuel becomes mandated in the US in 2006.
    So, it will probably be the redesigned 2007 Accord that gets it.
  • hotshot24hotshot24 Member Posts: 9
    Motorweek had it on on monday. They have to get the Nitrogen oxide levels from .28 in the European version to .07 to sell it in the United states. If you had some good cats and some other features it could be affordable and clean. It shouldn't be much more than a regular V6 Accord. My autos teacher said they will have a prototype within the week.
    It may be this body style after all. I forgot the redesigned Accord will be a 2008 model. Three more years of the basic body style with two years of the slightly updated 2006-2007 models.
    40+ MPG with lots of around town torque without the hybrid complexity and cost will be nice in an Accord-sized vehicle.
  • glycinemaxglycinemax Member Posts: 74
    http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100714

No "immediate" plans to intro diesel to US but it sure sounds like Honda is hard at work on the engineering to meet reg.s. Accord (possible), Accord wagon (pipe dream), CR-V (very possible), and/or Civic five door (doubtful but Mazda 3, A3, Golf) would all add to my confusion as to what to purchase next. Note to self: Must be patient a little while (2 yrs?) longer.
    If Honda brings the Accord Tourer i-CTDi diesel to America, Look out !!

'In our efforts to extend the Force's use of diesel vehicles, to aid both the environment and our fuel budget, our ongoing partnership with Honda and the new diesel accord enables us to achieve all these aims in one vehicle. The performance and reliability of Honda in front line operations have proven to be very successful and I have no doubt that the Accord's new diesel engine will continue that success'.

http://www.wiltshire.police.uk/news/newsview.asp?id=501
    I'm not sure what audience Honda is targeting. It is a different concept in Automobile advertising. Must appeal to a British audience.

http://www.honda.co.uk/
    Volvo had a very similar ad for the V50 on their web site.
    This is compliments of ruking1.......

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2003-4030226_1a/
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    5.4 liters per 100 kilometers is about 43 miles per U.S gallon with that Accord Diesel engine in the UK. Not bad.
  • hamilton1005hamilton1005 Member Posts: 4
    Any word of Honda coming out with a diesel Accord Wagon. Or, just an Accord wagon. Seems like the only good wagons out there are (Audi, Volvo, Saab, BMW, MB) and they are all high priced. It would seem logical for Honda to offer an Accord wagon. Diesel would be a bonus.
    That would be a dream. Unfortunately people buy cars for strage reasons, and roomy practical reliable transportation seems to be at the bottom of the list - at least according to manufacturers.
    Manufacturers will build, if there are (enough) buyers. Can't blame them, but the people.
    People tend to buy what they are told to buy (what they want, not what they need, or what will serve them best). Marketing is the biggest factor. Marketing in turn drives image. Why else would somebody who lives where there is no snow, and has nothing to tow, buy a large SUV for their (50 mile each way) commute.
    Why else would somebody who lives where there is no snow, and has nothing to tow, buy a large SUV for their (50 mile each way) commute.

Maybe comfort, safety and visibility. Or they are waiting patiently for the Honda Accord diesel to make it's way here so they can get Great mileage with a little comfort & Safety....
    People tend to buy what they are told to buy

Not necessarily. I can speak for myself, and I don&#146;t. Businesses don&#146;t own me.

Marketing is a part of any business. All businesses have their needs and wants. As do consumers. Businesses could value their needs more than their wants and vice versa or balance them out. It isn&#146;t too different for consumers either. Customers can be misled, but it will often happen if the customer isn&#146;t &#147;educated enough&#148;.

If automakers had their way, they wouldn&#146;t struggle to sell certain vehicles. They should be able to compel the buyers into their showrooms, regardless, right? Automakers have to kill models or complete lines, for most part because they couldn&#146;t &#147;attract enough buyers&#148;.
  • acurasacuras Member Posts: 14
    I love my tsx, but would trade it and my wife's cr-v for diesel versions if they were available here. The above comment re: buying what businesses offer is exactly the mentality that got GM in the trouble it is in. Onlt alternative is Passat but given VW's reputation for quality,no thanks.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=39381&pg=1

IT IS OFFICIAL HONDA WILL INTRODUCE DIESELS IN USA AND CANADA DURING 2007!

Expect a diesel CRV and Accord/TSX.

Great news indeed. Although the folks at the "Honda Accord Owners Future Models Forum" treated this announcement as if Honda is introducing some kind of Bubonic Plague Injection!!
    """North America."""
    Toyota Yaris is sold in "North America."
    Acura EL is sold in "North America."

You added that bit about USA that was not in the article you linked.
    They never officially or directly state that Honda is releasing diesels in the USA.
    There were some assumptions and editorializing by the author in the article also.
    "Now that Honda has vowed to offer diesel-powered vehicles into North America" A

The statement above is quoted in the article I linked. If it would be sold solely in Canada, it would be mentioned as a "Canadian Intro", just like the BMW 320i and Acura EL were "Canadian Intros " when introduced.

Otherwise cars like the Accord and Civic are called vehicles for the North American market. And that does include USA.

Assumptions/editorilizing of the author? I saw a press conference from Honda regarding their upcoming diesels. It is somewhere out there on some web link---when I have time I will try to find it!!

In fact it is not an assumption, it is an announcement(BIG DIFFERENCE)
    307web,

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102192

"We are working to meet the regulations, and we are going to offer diesel cars in the United States in the very near future," Hagino told an audience at the SAE World Congress in Detroit this week."

The above quote is from the link above. This quote is from Hagino, senior director manager of Honda(not exactly a creative writer who editorializes). Diesels will be in USA as soon as Honda engineers can achieve future emissions approval. If VW , Dailmer Chrysler and BMW engineers are able to pass future emissions regulations, then definitely Honda engineers would be able to do it, dont you think?
    Honda is taking such a beating by Toyota that they need a car that will get great mileage and have enough power to satisfy the American driver. The Accord Hybrid has to be a big disappointment for Honda. The Civic and Insight hybrids have a poor sales record. Toyota is beating them on every level. I believe that very fine diesel is their best chance at getting back on track sales wise in the USA. The CR-V & Odyssey are the only vehicles that are beating Toyota in sales. If they put that diesel engine in the Odyssey I would jump on it.
    Likewise, I would buy a Honda Accord diesel or a BMW turbo diesel(depending on price)! Today Europeans love diesel Accords and CRVs as much as North Americans love Toyota hybrids.

I dont know what the stats are in the USA, but in Canada the MB300CDI is selling like hotcakes and TDIs represent 40% of VW sales.
  • iceyesiceyes Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my first Honda 1 week ago (Accord). I also own a VW TDI. If Honda brings a diesel accord to US I will trade in my new accord in a heartbeat for the diesel. I can't wait!!!! :)
    Put me on the list.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Today Europeans love diesel Accords and CRVs as much as North Americans love Toyota hybrids.

The only reason for that is that there are no Toyota diesels in the US. Unless the hybrid markup comes down to diesel markup levels ($1K or less over a similar gas model) there no economic reason to buy a hybrid.
    Welcome to the Forum. It sounds like you are in tune with most of us on the Diesel threads. With ULSD on it's way to a gas station near you there is no reason the automakers should not give Americans the benefits of diesel that the rest of the world takes for granted.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Done right, diesels will approach sales levels of Europe in the US also. Gas hybrids will be left in the dust as the niche market it is today (diesel hybrids are another story). It's not just the better milage that will win over drivers but the great torque that diesels provide. The only problem Honda will have is the current 2.2L is at the lower end of the acceptable power range in the bigger USDM Accord - but since milage will be the main point it would do great at that.A $20K LX that gets 40MPG would be very popular (and probably make more money for Honda than the HAH) despite the old negative image diesels have.
This discussion has been closed.