Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Diesel????

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    This might be a clarification since what we have talked about is not sound bite able.

Perhaps you should read my take on the 2020 35 mph standard with similar deviation characteristics from the current 27 mpg standards. So for example, using your quote of 18 mpg (on an epa 16/22) , that is -9/27=33.3%*35=-11.655=23.35 mpg. So assuming the same relative deviance, anything over 23.35 is PURE gravy (from the 2020 35 mpg standards view) . Indeed given the current epa, the higher number of range (30%-your take) would be 28.6 mph.

A run away hit (which was the declaration/ hope is still of course 35 mpg. So between 25-40 mpg why would anyone get a for example get an inappropriate car ? (size 4 shoe when a 10 fits?) So for example on the 2003 Jetta there is 29 mpg gassers and 48 mpg diesel . Now the diesel gets 39.6% better ( I can routinely get 50-59 mpg) but I can be a bit of a lead foot so I used 48 mpg) . . These have been on the market since before 2003. So if Honda is able to match the RATIOS of VW, motors, my take is those targets will make Honda Pilot a run away hit, expand the segment, not sink it.
  • oldoarsmanoldoarsman Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the welcome!

I have 142,000 miles on my Passat, and it's still running efficiently and strong...the only problem is that the interior is beginning to show the years (the headliner is sagging, the seat fabric is showing as many wrinkles as I am, and the fabric boots for the shifter and the emergency brake need to be replaced). I bought my Pilot back in 10/02, and it has 67,000 miles on it. Those miles would have been on my Passat, but the Pilot is a great vehicle and I fit more comfortably.

My mileage experience with my Pilot is 21/22 mpg...mixed highway and secondary roads...I trade off between the Passat and the Pilot with about 10,000 miles/year in the Pilot and about 14,000/year in the Passat.

By the way, diesel fuel in our area (central Virginia) is about $3.25/gallon. Based on the mileage I am able to achieve with my Passat (a little more than 2x the mileage in the Pilot), it's like paying $1.63 for a gallon of gas! Not bad, even with the escalating fuel prices we're seeing these days.

If I can beat the mileage estimates for the original Pilot, maybe I will be able to reach the low thirties when the diesel is introduced.

I think that Honda is on to something. The current diesel technology at VW meets or beats the hybrids when the vehicles are used for long distance/highway driving. I really feel that if Honda can match the efficiency of the VW diesels, and produce a vehicle of typical Honda quality, they will be, literally, miles ahead of their competition.
    For sure the Honda Pilot has been "best in breed" for a few years. I doubt Honda will give up one of those in THAT segment. So if you look at the 2020 new 35 mph standards, it is almost a no brainer (SWAG) for Honda to use a V6 turbo diesel. I think the difficulty will be a (new) good 6/7 speed automatic.

Using your example of 20 mpg, the current Pilot deviates from the current 27 mpg standard app 26%. So assuming no change in deviance that would put the (forward looking) Pilot at 26 mpg.

MB E320 V6, 3.0L (210 hp/400 #ft of torque (turbo diesel) currently is epa rated at 23/32. I know a guy that has one and cruising at 80 mph gets 40 mpg.

So it will be interesting to see what happens.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "O. K. It'll get 30-31 highway,pull 6500 pounds, last 500k, and can be parked in your garage. What's so bad about that?"

Nothing. Except that it is a pipe dream and won't happen. Pulling 6500 pounds, sure. Able to fit in a garage? Sure.

Last 500k? Maybe. The reality of diesel reliability is that old, heavy, iron-block, low rpm, low-powered diesels would last forever. As is seen in the boating world, light, high-power, turbo-charged diesels don't last as long. David Pascoe debunks some of the myths around diesels: http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm

Getting 30 mpg on the highway in the near future? Not going to happen. Mercedes has some of the best diesels on the market, but their diesel M-series and GL-series (which are similar in size and weight to the Pilot) don't get near 30 mpg.

And the increased emissions regulations are both adding cost and reducing mileage.

Yes, the Mercedes diesel sedans get excellent mileage. But an SUV is not a sedan. SUVs have about 50% larger cross-sectional area and the aerodynamic drag is directly proportional to the cross-sectional area. In addition, SUVs have more ground clearance, so there is more air moving underneath the vehicle, adding to aerodynamic drag. Increased aerodynamic drag greatly reduces mileage at highway speeds.

In addition, SUVs are heavier, have higher tow ratings, and higher gross vehicle weight ratings, so they need larger tires. The larger tires increase rolling friction, also reducing economy. SUVs are also heavier and that also reduces economy.

I am a diesel supporter. Diesels are the best currently available technology for light trucks. But we need to look at them realistically. They will give us ~30% improvement in mileage, but at an added cost of ~$4000 due to the ridiculous EPA and CARB regulations. They won't get us to 35 mpg on a full size SUV.
    There is no doubt you are describing variance. Indeed if you are saying there are NO guarantees that ALL will get (in this case) 35 mpg or 500,000 miles on a diesel engine, you indeed would be spot on. However your position/take really conveys NO real information. Way too broad brush. Indeed there is NO piece of YOUR equipment I could not beat to death better than you!?? :shades: Conversely vice versa would probably apply. : UPSHOT: variance. In effect your positions glosses over the 25-40% fuel advantage. Another is the fact the diesel is better adapted to our roads than a like model gasser.

A good example is the Honda Civic (gasser) thread Real World MPG. For my .02 cents one of the better so called "economy" cars currently on the market. Can it be better/worse? ABSOLUTELY. Example: some folks look at the EPA 29/38 like a deer looking at the head lamps. It becomes almost mantra/cult like in terms of how dissatified they are if they do not get the EPA. Now the VARIANCE is printed on the new car sticker which is almost totallly ignored.

There is also a survey of app 587 (at last post) Civic drivers and indeed the survey shows what drivers have reported. Predictably there is variance.

Indeed I am living "the pipe dream". However my take is it is seamless reality. I need 400,000 to 900,000 more miles to say the turbo diesel engine can/can't last 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles. Like model gasser/s Jetta's struggle to get 29 mpg. On a TDI, I routinely get 48-52 mpg in a daily routine commute, point a to point b, The range has been from 44-62 mpg. Using your broad brush strokes, 29 mpg is no different than 48-52 mpg. Mathmatically impossible to get 62 mpg. 5th grade math would beg to differ.

Again using that same routine commute, a 450 # LIGHTER Honda Civic gets 38-42. If we compensate for the lighter weight by saying taking readings with 3 more passengers what do you think would happen with the Civic mpg?
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    If a quarter of one percent of the potential buyers of vehicles are interested in keeping them running for half a million miles it would be a miracle.

Very few people would stand for hanging headliners, worn upholstery, broken seats, rusted out frames and bodies, trashed transmissions, busted suspensions, pitted windshields, torn rubber boots, flaky electical systems, etc, etc. No matter how much preventative maintenance or cost incurred in that endeavor, it won't happen. Not even for a quarter of a million miles.

The vast majority of drivers want clean and new. If they can't afford that, they will come as close as possible within their budgets.
    I would agree.

But at the same time, there is really no magic, just scheduled good cleaning and maintenance. . But then again I used to think cars with 100,000 miles turned into Cinderella/Cinderfella. Of course, there is a bit of skill, luck, involved by not having accidents.

I had one gasser vehicle that I sold for a 44% loss after 14 years and 250,000 miles. It easily had 15/16 years left on the body.We have another with 150,000 miles and 14 years. It still looks good to go for another 16 years. So if one happens to do more miles per year than the average (12,000-15,000 miles per year) a diesel can really be a good bet.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Come on,Blane! Real men drive their cars a long time and compound interest on fewer dollars invested. :)
    I would agree!

I think also the cost per mile driven is a metric on Edmunds.com most folks ignore. So take a lookat any car of interest.

Indeed the IRS for business vehicles gives a (2007/2008).485/.505 cent deduction. So really the only way to get these figures down is to keep it (long) pass the quoted payment periods (5 year operations figures) Needless to say the cost per mile driven is an ever increasing one.

Let me put it this way:

gasser, 29 mpg/3.25= .112 cents per gal

diesel, 50 mpg/3.50=.065. cents per gal

Sure there is a VERY important 42% savings in fuel, but as you can see % wise the percentages are app 22- 13% of the REAL COST per mile driven.
    gasser, 29 mpg/3.25= .112 cents (change) per mile driven

diesel, 50 mpg/3.50=.065. cents (change) per mile driven
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway in the near future? Not going to happen. Mercedes has some of the best diesels on the market, but their diesel M-series and GL-series (which are similar in size and weight to the Pilot) don't get near 30 mpg.

I have a friend with a GL320 CDI that averaged 27.9 MPG on his last trip from Oregon to San Diego. Mostly 75 MPH on I-5. The ML320 CDI on its cross country match-up with the RX400h got around 32 MPG on the highway. I think overall it beat the hybrid by 2.5 MPG combined. The GL is nearly 1000 heavier than the Pilot. With a light foot I think 35 MPG highway is possible. Especially if they use the 2.2L 4 cylinder. That is not likely with the US demand for sub 6 second 0-60 MPH specs.
  • phantomvphantomv Member Posts: 101
    Well, I cannot comment even theoretically about Honda Diesel performance or mileage other than what has been written in AUTO about Europe's Hondas. BUT, we owned an '86 BMW 524 TD. The car was a disaster otherwise but the diesel??
    0-60 in 11 secs and 42 MPG on the highway between Virginia and Syracuse, NY with A/C.on, two adults/two children and a full trunk, cruising at 75-80 MPH. Awesome. That was easily 15 MPG better than a 528i would have done.

So, I am no engineer but it seems a diesel engine CAN get SIGNIFICANTLY better mileage than a comparably sized gasloine engine
  • vchowdryvchowdry Member Posts: 5
    They will have an Acura in 2009, but too long for me to wait, I guess a jetta TDI for me

http://www.discoverhybridcars.com/environmental-news/acura-will-have-first-appli- cation-of-honda-i-dtec-diesel-in-north-america
  • nanorapturenanorapture Member Posts: 37
    Article regarding Honda Diesel Engine Introduction:

quote: "This engine will debut in the new Accord range in Europe in mid-
    2008."

quote: "Honda will introduce its new 2.2-liter Tier 2 Bin 5 diesel—the i-DTEC—in the Acura line in North America in 2009, according to Honda President and CEO Takeo Fukui at the North American International Auto Show. "

Another quote: "This engine is due to debut in the US and Japan in 2009."

Then it says: "Fukui said that the i-DTEC engine will appear in a Honda model in the US in the future."

Last we heard the VW TDI would come to the US in 2008, although it had been delayed from spring 2008 until later in the year. (?september 2008?).

So it looks like we may only have the new VW diesels this year.

Thats a big competitive disadvantage for Honda to be a year behind VW with an affordable diesel.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    That is huge. My father has been nursing his Passat along until the Accord diesel came out. He can't wait another year though. He was planning on September (or hopefully sooner).

Looks like a Jetta will have to do.
  • mwoods_permwoods_per Member Posts: 1
    Does 2009 debut refer to model year or calendar year? If model year that means it could potentially be available in 2008.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    My father has been nursing his Passat along until the Accord diesel came out. He can't wait another year though

Is his Passat a diesel? 2005, 2006, 1996, or 1997 Passat if it's a diesel?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I believe they are referring to an '09 debut of a 2010 MY model.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    The new Accord diesel will fail here if diesel prices stay the same in New England! I just filled my car with premium and that cost me $3.19 per gallon and diesel prices have varied between $3.34 and $3.65 per gallon!
    Diesel has always been higher here but it's way above premium and no way could I justify those prices, unless it comes down to rival premium fuel.
    Check out the Edmunds post re the new Honda diesels. It states the V6 diesel will be used in the Accord and other larger vehicles. A V6 diesel in the Accord could be fun.
    No his Passat is a 1.8t wagon with a stick. It does Ok on gas (mid thirties hwy) but not near a diesel.

Brother had a Rabbit diesel with a 20 gallon tank - ran forever. The owners manual on the Rabbit actually said to bring it into the dealer if it ever got less than 40 mpg.
  • imscfimscf Member Posts: 34
    If Honda make the same mistake with the diesel as it did with the hybrid - i.e. - load it with extras and sell it only as a high-end option - then it will be also a failure.
    To be viable, the diesel engine should be available on all models, including the LX/4, with only a very modest increase in price.
    Would a $2000 premium be acceptable? I imagine the diesels will run $1000-2000 more than comparably equipped gassers.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I would also agree! This is what VW did and it probably did more for USA diesel awareness than most folks will even know or give credit for. They pretty much were able to sell their whole inventory. However since Honda did experience a so called "mistake" with the hybrid (i.e. slow sales, but GREAT product) they have elected to hit the market first with the Acura TSX (the exact scenario you swag will come to failure) . The Honda diesel in Europe is /has been actually sold on the TSX platform. So from their point of view, Honda is addressing the US diesel market in a cost effective way. If they see that it is a hit, I think your advocated scenario will follow.
    Edmunds reporting from the auto show stated that the Honda V6 diesel was slated to be used in the ACCORD and other larger vehicles!!!!!! Is it possible Honda would put the V6 diesel in the Accord? A V6 diesel might actually fit in the larger Accord. Do you guys think this is a misprint?
  • mtlewmtlew Member Posts: 2
    Why was there no mention of a Honda Accord Diesel at the Detoit Auto show? The only mention I saw was of a diesel Acura,
  • mtlewmtlew Member Posts: 2
    Where did Edumunds report this? On their web site?
    News links:

http://www.autosavant.net/2007/10/honda-accord-diesel-and-new-hybrid.html

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31947

It is now unclear if the new diesels will debut in Sept. 2008 or Sept. 2009. The above links just add to the confusion with news of the diesel V6 coming in 2009.

Now there are rumors that the Honda diesel engine will debut in an Acura. That will be a very bad choice for Honda. Acura buyers are usually more into bling status and performance than diesel gas mileage.

Putting the diesel enigne into the full line of Accords will sell a lot more vehicles and will allow diesel to become acceptable to the US novice diesel buyer faster.

Last I heard the VW diesels were still coming out Sept. 2008.

Now I am starting to wonder if Honda is playing games with the multiple, constantly changing announcements of the diesel engine release date to keep VW and other competitors guessing. Their announcements now sure have me guessing in confusion when the true release dates are.

We'll just have to kick back and wait another 6 months before we know anything definitive on release dates.

The Honda hydbrid and electric vehicles are also being kept secret as to their release dates.

We need more high mileage vehicles here in the US NOW!!!!!

-nano
    Yes,it's on inside line latest news from Detroit. it's a few days old so scroll down a few screens. Honda clean diesel,etc. Possible, I guess, as the 3.5 gasser V6 obviously fits.
    sorry, forgot this link about the Acura Diesel:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/GreenCarAdvisor/173
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    That will be a very bad choice for Honda. Acura buyers are usually more into bling status and performance than diesel gas mileage.

Acura does not stand out for performance nor bling.
    Acura is technology,sensible, reliable, understated luxury.

Diesel will offer very, very high levels of power (torque) while delivering high mpg which should fit in well with Acura.

BMW and Mercedes are viewed as "status" brands to a much greater degree and they both are offering diesel engines in 2009 models.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    I agree - the diesel I4 should be available in the Accord.

If MB can keep the diesel premium to less than 1K (E350 vs. E3230CDI) Honda should have no problem keeping the premium to less than that.
  • redvwredvw Member Posts: 40
    Would the Honda diesel engine require a block heater for overnight parking in cold climates, or any other device to keep it warm? Could synthetic oil be a substitute for keeping the engine warm overnight?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    only if you are in a climate that requires a block heater for a gasser. diesels have come a long way since the '80s and no longer require any special consideration beyond that of a gasser counterpart.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

These are good lead in questions. In regards to Honda diesels, that would depend. However no one in the states has had much HONDA diesel field experience.

Anyone considering a diesel should bone up on the requirements! I would take it a step further by hooking up with the diesel community. (see above for the lack of HONDA diesel experiences) #2 diesel fuel is "winterized". However, specific cold weather conditions (aka EXTREME) CAN call for extra ordinary measures, i.e., battery trickle (to fast) chargers, block heaters, anti gel winter additives.

Diesels in general require a much more robust battery. Since diesels have glo plugs, power requirements CAN/DO exceed a (similar) gassers battery's requirements.

While I have a guess as to how Honda will deal with this issue, VW's (altenators) do NOT charge the battery to 100% nor even 80%. Indeed even after LONG highway operation, it can take a trickle charger 4 or more hours to get the charge back to 80%. So when you add to that excess demands; such as, (pass low volume "radio" operation) higher wattage sound systems, plugs in such as cell phones, GPS, xenon lamps, WINTER , etc, etc, your battery might not be destined to last without trickle charging (watching).
  • bob757flbob757fl Member Posts: 16
    "That is huge. My father has been nursing his Passat along until the Accord diesel came out. He can't wait another year though. He was planning on September (or hopefully sooner).

Looks like a Jetta will have to do. "

Dudleyr, I know EXACTLY how he feels. My 1998 Accord V6 now has 236,000 miles on it and have been counting on the Accord diesel by the end of this year. At 25,000 miles/year, 2 more years is a little more than I really want to do. Its coming due for timing belt #3, and all that goes with it. Another $1000 easy. Come on Honda!! Give us the next generation accord!
  • kmilkmil Member Posts: 6
    I just read an article about the Honda Tourer coming out in '09. My question is Honda going to have a DIESEL in either the '08 or '09 and will there be one in the Accord as originally stated?

Pls reply to: kmil123@msn.com
    The Tourer is for the EuroAccord - not USDM Accord. It has had a diesel for number of years. As of now Honda said officially that the Acura TSX will get the diesel in 09. No 08 model will have a diesel and it's unknown what if any 09 will get one.
  • donegaldonegal Member Posts: 49
    That article has little relevance now that Honda released the info about the TSX - other than the fact that the TSX will remain a rebadged EuroAccord like the current gen. The diesel details will point toward what can be expected in the TSX diesel.
  • feliciatwofeliciatwo Member Posts: 68
    Problem with Hybrids now is they use old fashioned GASOLINE. Tier2 Bin5 Diesel WITH Hybrid....now that's something to be happy about.
  • feliciatwofeliciatwo Member Posts: 68
    Why a sedan?
    I want the Torque. The VW Tiguan will tow 2 1/2 Tons...which is amazing. That's what diesel is known for aside from a third better mileage....and you can make it yourself and you're not as dependant on people who don't like us.

My dream is a SUV type not so big w/ good towing and with Tier2 Bin5 clean Diesel matched with Hybrid= 40-60 mpg.

This is Doable.
    I'm impatient.
  • beerbaronhomerbeerbaronhomer Member Posts: 8
    From a business standpoint, Honda really needs to get the diesel into the 2009-model year Accord. I'm sure the current Camry, Altima, Aura and Malibu Hybrids, or even the regular gas-powered engines of these models, are really dipping into its core business with the increase in gas prices and the fact that the 2008 Accord, with it's body-size growth, isn't nearly as fuel efficient as consumers had hoped and come to expect from Honda. For consumers to move down to a Civic for fuel efficiency takes them out of the "family" car segment, and for consumers to upgrade to an Acura TSX for a diesel does not make sense for a few different reasons:

In the current down economy, you are not going to get many consumers to fork over thousands more for an essentially re-branded Accord with a few more gimmicks just to get a family-sized car with a diesel engine.
    Fuel companies are not likely to expand diesel fuel availability for TSX-only sales volume, however TSX and Accord sales volume would garner much more attention with the Accord being one of the top selling models in NA.
    With engineering and development costs for the new NA-based diesel engine, there just isn't enough TSX market volume for Honda to justify putting the diesel in the TSX first without putting it in the Accord at the same time. If the diesel offering ultimately fails in the market in the TSX only, there isn't enough TSX sales volume to recover the costs, and to have them rush to put it into the Accord to recover the costs will not work since, in this scenario, the market has already seen the diesel fail in the TSX. If the diesel offering fails in the market while being offered in both the Accord and TSX at the same time, the likelihood of cost recovery is much better.
    The typical TSX shopper is generally in a different (higher) income class that is not as focused on gas prices (and probably not as focused on helping the environment) as the average income family-sized car shopper.

Thus, the consumer's only other current option would be to turn to other manufacturers' offerings. Additionally, there are numerous new offerings coming to market in CY2009 that Honda really needs to compete with to remain viable as a fuel-efficient family-sized car manufacturer (namely a Fusion hybrid and Jetta diesel). I cannot imagine the folks at Honda have not planned for this (if they haven't, I will be very disappointed), and with diesel technology already tried and tested in Europe with great success for many, many years now, there really isn't much pressure to bring a diesel engine to the NA market in the Accord with gas prices being at their current levels with no expectation of them decreasing significantly below the current levels ever again (maybe $2.50 or $3.00 per gallon, but that's about it).

Yes, diesel prices are definitely higher than gas prices, but that has not always been the case, and they are usually parallel in their price movement, so if one goes up, the other will likely go up, and vice versa. Even if diesel prices did stay higher than unleaded prices, you are talking about $0.80/gallon more right now in the northeast which, on a 15-gallon fill-up, would only cost you another $12/fill-up to gain on average 10 to 15 more miles per gallon. Figure it this way, if you get 350 miles on a 15-gallon tank at $4.00/gallon of unleaded fuel, you are spending roughly $.17/mile. If you average 10 more miles per gallon (probably worst-case scenario) with a diesel engine, you would get 500 miles on a 15-gallon tank. At $4.80/gallon of diesel fuel, you would be spending roughly $.14/mile, $0.03/mile better than a regular gasoline engine, and remember again that this is probably a worst-case scenario.

Thoughts??
    The Accord is getting a V6 Diesel in 2011.
    Gee, I hope not. I always assumed that in typical Honda fashion, they would bring in the 4-cylinder diesel for other models once they staged its much bally-hooed debut in the TSX next year. Why use it in just one model?

It's just the latest in a mile-long list over the years of Honda keeping things close to its chest. You watch: by Christmas next year Accord diesels will be for sale. Honda needs a more fuel-efficient Accord ASAP, its lunch is getting eaten by everyone, even CHEVY for goodness' sake.

I'm with you. For Honda to bring the V6 diesel in an Accord is lunacy. It will prove that they are trying to compete with GM rather than be the best mileage cars in the World. Right now they are losing big time to Toyota and VW. They would be repeating the blunder they made with the Accord Hybrid. What a joke that was, ON THEM.

PS
    The V6 diesel in the Ody and Pilot would be good.
    The new Accord is simply to large to perform well with the 4 cylinder diesel. The Civic and the CRV will ultimately get the 4. The Odyssey,Ridgeline,Pilot,and Accord get the 6 diesel. The 6 diesel is probably 3.5 liters.
    The CRV actually takes more power to maintain speed on the highway than the new Accord. It is barely lighter and has worse aerodynamics.

I think a 4-cyl would do fine in an Accord. The people buying diesels would likely not care.
    The 4 cylinder diesel has to have more torque than the 4 cylinder gas engine. My understanding is most Accords are bought with 4C gas engine. The Accord should be capable of 50 MPG highway with a 4C diesel. The MB GL320 CDI is only a 3L diesel and it has way more than enough acceleration in that 5300 lb 7 passenger SUV. To me anything over a 4C diesel in a car is overkill. There is no way the Accord will compete with the BMW 335D so why waste the fuel? If you are after stop light acceleration just get the V6 Gas Accord. The 2.2L Honda diesel has 250 ft lbs of torque. Almost 100 ft lbs more than their 2.4L gas engine. That should push that 3400 lb boat on down the road fine.
    Yeah, no question it will be the 4-cylinder, not the 6, when diesel finally arrives in the Accord. Which I am thinking is less than 18 months away now. Can you imagine if they used the V-6 diesel? Maybe they would have a competitor to the R8 on their hands! :-P

Ford is claiming the next Fusion, also due in less than 18 months, will be the fuel economy leader in its class. In one short year Toyota and Honda have gone from having the fuel economy leaders in the midsize class to being almost at the bottom. Honda NEEDS this new diesel, pronto.

As for the diesel V-6, I agree that Honda needs to get that one into the Pilot and the Ridgeline ASAP. Maybe make it the ONLY engine for the Ridgeline.

This discussion has been closed.