Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    8000 off msrp is pretty good if it is a demo. Even used it is a OK deal. Check every inch for scratches etc as the rest is under warranty. Also recheck msrp under edmunds new cars as that seems kind of high

Good luck
    --jjf

i>Hav an offer on a fully loaded 07 ST with 8k miles on it. Car has all options and MSRP for that specification (07) runs to ard 21.5K.(checked on both Ford website and Carsdirect). Am getting an offer for 13.5K + TTL. Clean Carfax and vehicle appears pristine on test drive.

I think I'm getting a great deal and am really interested in buying. Any other opinions? advice appreciated.
  • lilboyracerlilboyracer Member Posts: 3
    Thanks.
    Edmunds MSRP also corresponds.
    no visible scratches.
    car has the foll options;
    heated leather seats
    traction control
    perimeter alarm
    sunroof
    Sony audiophile audio
    Appearance package 1
    side airbags
    :shades:
  • kamysingerkamysinger Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I feel that I should report you guys the result of my visit (with two very helpful friends!) to Varsity Ford, Ann Arbor, Michigan, negotiating on the ZX5 mentioned in previous posting. After test driving the car we set down. First I wanted to make clear and understand what I am buying. I started with the extended warranty I mentioned before. I asked the dealer if there is any deductible. I got 100$. He went to the manager to see if this can be changed to 0$. Got an answer no. So my opinion is that this warranty is not worth much, if anything: I have the manufacturer “Power train” warranty anyway up to 100,000 miles. And I don’t see a lot of parts that where included in the warranty that made this warranty worth with this deductible (in the two year left for this warranty to be actually needed)

Next I turned to the more important issue. As I mentioned, I got he offer for this car at the new cars office. I was not interested in a used car (I will buy a used car from a private seller if I am interested). At my first visit, the dealer presented me this car as a car the manager drove. I asked if I will be the first owner listed and he said yes. Later at home I checked in Carfax and discovered that there is a first owner already listed to that car. I concluded that they are lying and thinking that if they put the car in the new cars section it will be easier for them to mislead buyers that look for a new car and won’t mind buying a “new” car that drove a little. I was expecting that that at the dealership they will be very quick to apologize and admit a “mistake” once I raise this point. But I was surprised. When I told him that what I have seen in Carfax he insisted that the car is new (now he said that the car was a demo car- he forgot what he told me in my first visit) and I will be the first owner. He also tried to show me from his computer the Carfax on this car. What I have seen was not what I remembered looking at home. I asked to log in to Carfax with my username. Then I understood that what he showed me was not the report but the web page before that (the one you see if you don’t pay), and got the real report showing that there is a car owner listed on this car already. He looked a little surprised but still insisted that I will be the first owner. This whole thing around this issue lasted for more than half an hour with him going to the manager a few times. I must admit that I was almost convinced that indeed I will get to be the first owner listed, and this is how Carfax shows new cars at dealerships. But at that point he made a “mistake”. At last he came and admitted that the car was already titled and agreed to the fact that I will be listed as second owner. But again we where surprised. He didn’t apologize, he didn’t offer to reduce the price, and he insisted that we don’t use the term “used car” . It was ridiculous. As he looked a bit nervous from the beginning, but at this stage he was almost out of control and so in response to that I couldn’t even bring myself to offer 12.5K for the car (thinking that 13K will be good to me). The atmosphere was too hot and while we said we are waiting for a better offer after this “discovery”, he didn’t want to give us any and said that we didn’t make any counter offer (which was true because we where also a little confused and influenced by all this unexpected behavior). I decided to go because I didn’t feel like paying them even 13K after this experience. At the dealership they didn’t stop us. Probably they understood they can’t fool us. We stopped later in Scion dealership. I got a completely different and good impression on the way they work. Sadly, I will probably buy an imported car. I really wanted to buy American car.

Hope my few lessons will help other buyers. I think the most important thing is that when you get an offer in a dealership, you have to check every piece of information by yourselves and not trust the dealership. You also have to calculate and see if other options added are really worth anything. Another suggestion is always to go with at least one friend (someone that knows a little how to negotiate or at least how to ask good questions). This is very important. It brings more pressure on the dealer and less on the buyer.
  • ysy3ysy3 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone, I'm considering buying a new 2008 Ford Focus. It seems like it's a good value for the money, but I wanted to see if anyone knows of any glaring reasons I should steer clear. I started out looking for a small car with good gas mileage that I could also carry my drums in. I'd been looking at used Corollas and Civics but I have to say with their high resale value they just seem too expensive. I feel like I can get a new Focus for the price of a used Honda. One thing I'm concerned about is that I'm used to driving an SUV and having the ability to haul stuff around, and I'm afraid of losing that capability, but I'm willing to give it up to get into something smaller. I've considered a few hatchbacks (Vibes, Matrixes, Subarus etc.), which would allow me more space, but I feel like they're out of my price range. I like the Honda Fit too but I think it's too small of a car for me. Anyhow, after much deliberation I've settled in on the Focus and wanted to ask for opinions. Thanks for any feedback you may have!
    A new 19000 mazda 3 hatch will run about 16700-17000 new. The sedan a bit less.The Fit automatic with options is about 17000 and a civic lx a bit more. A 08 18000 focus ses should sell for around 14000. There are no more hatches in the focus so the drums are difficult. Did you try to fit them in?

The dodge caliber is a 4 dr hatch. A well equipped 18500 msrp should be about 14500.,The PT cruiser has a huge hatch and 4 drs.It looks like it was built for drums. It should run around 13000-14000 in the 18000 msrp price range. Dodge also has the lifetime powertrain warranty. Prices get lower for less well equipped models. You may be able to get a $20000 08 ford escape 2wd or mazda tribute with power for $14000-15000, so that may be a consideration also.

The quality for the american names is about the same so its the convenience and what you need that is relevant.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • ysy3ysy3 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, thanks for the info and the advice. I am going to try to fit the drums in today. I like the Focus as a sedan for the value but I'm having reservations about it's cargo capacity. I think I will look at a few more hatchbacks before I make a decision...

Thanks for your help!
  • harmonychicharmonychic Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,
    I am looking at the Ford Focus SE 2008. I was wondering how much negotiating could be done to get closer to invoice price.
    Harmony
    Read my previous message on the prices of autos. A civic lx is around 17xxx. (around invoice+) A focus is no civic and has sold for about 4500-5500 off msrp for years (lots under invoice). The cheapie $14500 stripper models have had a few loss leaders sold every month for $6000-7000 from msrp. Even an expensive 19000 focus is barely worth 12xxx used wholesale after about a year so you want that much off.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Hi all,
    I am looking at the Ford Focus SE 2008. I was wondering how much negotiating could be done to get closer to invoice price.
    Thanks
  • bigbutrbigbutr Member Posts: 111
    I've been out test driving cars to replace my reliable and paid for 1996 Chevy Beretta and went by the local Ford place to check out the Focus and Fusion. I haven't been on a Ford lot in quite a while, but I have been at nearly every other brand, so I was a bit taken aback to find a $60 sticker charge for a spare tire on both the Focus and Fusion. Is this what is has come to, charging for a spare? :confuse:
    I didn't ask, but I'm assuming this is for a full-size spare since there's no way a donut could cost that much.
    I'm going back on Monday to drive the Fusion. While it's not really on my short list, I do want to see how it rides. I will say I nearly passed out when I saw an 08 Taurus Limited stickering for 32,700. :surprise: My how times have changed.
    You will also find charges of $100+ for floor mats, $80 for chrome exhaust tips etc. It doesn't matter what they choose to itemize or include as it is the cost out the door that matters. The higher end Crown Victoria stickers around $32000, but they are lucky to move them for $18000, so take MSRP for what its worth also.
    Look up the car 1 yr old used 07 on kbb.com or edmunds.com/ The wholesale price of thousands of your car at auction after 12 months and 15000 mi should give a good indication of how close to reality MSRP is.

Good luck
    --jjf

I've been out test driving cars to replace my reliable and paid for 1996 Chevy Beretta and went by the local Ford place to check out the Focus and Fusion. I haven't been on a Ford lot in quite a while, but I have been at nearly every other brand, so I was a bit taken aback to find a $60 sticker charge for a spare tire on both the Focus and Fusion. Is this what is has come to, charging for a spare?
    I didn't ask, but I'm assuming this is for a full-size spare since there's no way a donut could cost that much.
    I'm going back on Monday to drive the Fusion. While it's not really on my short list, I do want to see how it rides. I will say I nearly passed out when I saw an 08 Taurus Limited stickering for 32,700. My how times have changed.
  • gjcgjc Member Posts: 1
    Im planning to buy a ford focus 2008 se retail price is about 17.5 k before taxes in Canada....

I can generate an x-plan code anytime I want from my company.... about how much is the discount?

This is the main reason why im considering the focus....
    A new 18000+ focus will barely wholesale used for $11000 in 12 months. (Look up the 07 used price on kbb.com or nada.com). Given this they usually sell for about $4000-5000 off msrp for the last 3-4 years. Most plans x-plan etc whether for employees of the manufacturers or otherwise are marketing gimmicks. Many people get better deals exclusive of them. This is in the U.S. Perhaps the canadian wholesale books reflect higher prices and/or the vehicle sells closer to msrp. I've seen some absurd pricing of trucks and suv's in canada.

Good luck
    --jjf

Im planning to buy a ford focus 2008 se retail price is about 17.5 k before taxes in Canada....

I can generate an x-plan code anytime I want from my company.... about how much is the discount?

This is the main reason why im considering the focus
  • gotpsagotpsa Member Posts: 7
    Looking for numbers for 2 & 3 yr, 15k/yr lease rates for Focus SES 4 cyl auto. Residual and money factors. Thanks, Ron
  • novabuyernovabuyer Member Posts: 1
    In the Northern VA area; car has std SES equipment + Sirius; car has 3.5K miles, salesman said it was a dealer loaner vehicle. Their "internet price" is 14.4K. The MSRP on a new Focus with the same specs (from competing dealer) was 18.5K.

I think I should try to get the vehicle for somewhere around 13K.

Should I try for lower, or pass altogether and try for a new vehicle? Thanks.
    4000 off msrp has been an average deal on this vehicle for years brand new. Since the car will wholesale used for about $11000 a year from now, 13k or so is probably what you want to be looking at.

Good luck
    --jjd

In the Northern VA area; car has std SES equipment + Sirius; car has 3.5K miles, salesman said it was a dealer loaner vehicle. Their "internet price" is 14.4K. The MSRP on a new Focus with the same specs (from competing dealer) was 18.5K.

I think I should try to get the vehicle for somewhere around 13K.

Should I try for lower, or pass altogether and try for a new vehicle? Thanks
  • leroyanleroyan Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2008 SES with antilock brakes and Cirius radio for 14,400 after rebates and incentives. 15,650 out the door after taxes and title and license. I did get a bunch of rebates and incentives. The list price was 16,750 or so. I got 2400 in rebates or so and about a thousand off with the x-plan.
  • agibson95agibson95 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my new 2008 Focus SE with Sync yesterday. The MSRP was $17,950 and I traded in my 2004 FreeStar SES with 42000 miles. After the trade the loan difference was $5800. I am happy with the low $119/mo payments for 60 months. I know the trade-in value of my van was $8800 per Kelly's Blue Book. With the rebates, I am curious if I got a good deal. I didnt really need the Sirius radio or the leather wrapped steering wheel, but some of the other feature (Cruise Control) are nice.

What do you think about my deal?
  • mszekemszeke Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a 2008 Focus S coupe for $10,995 + 4.9% for 60 months. Traded my 2006 Cobalt - could not be more pleased with my purchase/price!
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Tell us a little why you swapped the Cobalt for the Focus. I've had both (not the new Focus coupe, of course) and wonder what you saw in the Focus that you didn't already have in the Cobalt. Of course you could just be an inveterate car swapper, like me....
    Cobalt just begin to feel "loose" @ 36,000 miles. Saw the ad for $10,995 and went to look - my 1st. Ford since my '59 Fairlane! Much more shoulder room, a little better mpg, and a bit slower thru the gears.
    I fogot to mention that my insurance is much less on the 2008 Focus vs. the 2008 Cobalt (both base with manual - no options).
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    36,000 miles already. Wow! Update us on the Focus when you hit some miles, it should be interesting. Focus is getting some good buzz this year.
  • joeyjoejoejoeyjoejoe Member Posts: 68
    They were advertising a similar deal in my area. I'd rather have a sedan and am currently haggling with a few dealers to see what they can offer me. I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla that I plan to trade-in for roughly $8,000. The closer I get to that $10,000 mark, the better. I figure I will trade up this year and then trade in the Focus in a few more years once the warranty is up and cars can get 100 mpg or something ridiculous. Cheers!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to talk with recent buyers of the Honda Fit, Ford Focus, the Smart car and other subcompacts. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience no later than Tuesday, April 29, 2008.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Narrowing it down to the Focus and the Hyundai Elantra GLS. Seen too many purchases in the 12700 range for the higher rated Elantra auto sedan (17000 msrp) with power package and 60/100k bb/powertrain warranty to ignore it.

Seems like a higher quality piece than the Ford, approaching that of a Honda Civic like the edmunds review. If the Ford dealers don't drop then....
  • matsukesmatsukes Member Posts: 21
    I am thinking of buying a 2008 SES coupe loaded with everything you can get in extras. I haven't dickerd with the dealer as of yet but had him print me out his listed price for this car he did tell me that he could give me $1000 off because I own a Ford but no other discounts were mentioned. The price quoted to me before the $1000 off was $19,580. If anyone could let me know about any other discounts I should ask for please let me know! also, what price should I realy pay for this car? I am a first time buyer of a new car and have never had to dicker with a dealer before and I dont want to be eaten by the sharks!
    You are probably going to be eaten by the sharks. Ford Focus has frequently sold for 4000 to 5000 off msrp. A quick look at the used wholesale (trade in) value of an 07 ses like yours at kbb.com and nada.com will show why. I haven't looked but I doubt if yours wholesales for more than 12500 with 14000 miles on it. Paying anywhere close to msrp on a Focus isn't cool. Somewhere in the low to mid 15xxx's is a ok price. If yours is a rare one or color and the dealer feels he can play it to some fool then you may have to pay up or (preferably) pass.

--jjf
    I am thinking of buying a 2008 SES coupe loaded with everything you can get in extras. I haven't dickerd with the dealer as of yet but had him print me out his listed price for this car he did tell me that he could give me $1000 off because I own a Ford but no other discounts were mentioned. The price quoted to me before the $1000 off was $19,580. If anyone could let me know about any other discounts I should ask for please let me know! also, what price should I realy pay for this car? I am a first time buyer of a new car and have never had to dicker with a dealer before and I dont want to be eaten by the sharks!
    Well, thanks for your reply! I have no experience buying a new car I wouldn't know where to start with the dealer sales guy to get the price down to around $15,000 I would love to get the car for that price! its a lot better then the $19,000 and change! Do you or any one else here have any suggestions how I can get the dealer down to that price?. Any hints would be much appreciated!
    Hit 10-20 dealers with email bid requests now, last week of the month from ford website. Give them your specs, colors and approx msrp. Let them know you are getting 20 bids and give their best price. Most will be nothing to write home about. Give the top 5 your cell#. The ones that pester you the most are the ones that need a sale. Work lowest bidders lower in $200 increments. Working with one dealer without competing bids is like one hand clapping or an auction with only one bidder. New Auto negotiations are best done from the couch and phone rather than the showroom. If your heart is set on this possibley rare one perhaps he will compete or come close to the price (off msrp) of competing offers.

--jjf

Well, thanks for your reply! I have no experience buying a new car I wouldn't know where to start with the dealer sales guy to get the price down to around $15,000 I would love to get the car for that price! its a lot better then the $19,000 and change! Do you or any one else here have any suggestions how I can get the dealer down to that price?. Any hints would be much appreciated!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    If you want a particular color and trim combination, I believe you can find which dealers have one in stock from fordvehicles.com website. Then you can contact those dealers with an email asking what the price would be (including any fees the dealer adds, such as "document fees"), if you buy before the end of April.
    Where did you get that car for that price? I want to buy 2 of them at one time but the dealer here wants $19,850 each! How do you do that??????
    You can buy a 19500 mazda3 or 5 door hatch for about 17000 all day long (much better than focus) The 17000 Hyundai elantra gls is available in the 136xx's all day long and the SE for the mid 15xxx's (also better cars). If you are a walk in and non email or internet buyer (at least 3 competitive bids) you will get a sucker bid every time.

-jjf

Where did you get that car for that price? I want to buy 2 of them at one time but the dealer here wants $19,850 each! How do you do that??????
  • eddiehaskell1eddiehaskell1 Member Posts: 12
    I wondering if it would be possible to get a Focus S 5spd for 10k....???

base price = $15k
    - college grad rebate $500
    - AQHA rebate = $500
    - Ford rebate/bonus cash = $2000

Could another $2k be knocked off?
    Ford has a $2000. cash incentive plus $1,000 more if you or a family member has a car other then a Ford plus if you go on line on the Ford Website and request a brochure on the Focus you will find a coupon with your name on it for $750.00 that can be used on top of any other incentives Also there is a $500.00 if you are a student
    Read my message 4681 in the Hyundai sonata forum and go from there. I have seen stripper versions over the years advertised, for something like the S with air conditioning for about 9000 or so , but you would have to find the right dealer (email many, find one who needs to move a car). A

lso be sure to get competitive bids for the mazda3 and mazda6 models, (base if thats what you're looking for), as they seem to be clearing them out and they are sometimes deeply discounted too. Wouldn't want to buy a Focus when for just a grand (or less)more you could get a (much higher quality) mazda3. (striking in red,galaxy grey and blue)

Also try the Hyundai Elantra (better car and warranty also) but the same goes for it and the m3 .

Good luck
    --jjf
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    If by "base price = $15k", you are referring to MSRP, I'd think you could take another $1000 off as invoice is about $1000 below MSRP.
  • vh3203vh3203 Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2008 Focus last Friday (5/9). I had sent out numerous requests for quotes, got one that sounded pretty good. It was the $2k cash back from Ford and the dealer knocked off another $1k. The dealer had one exactly the way my wife and I wanted it. SE Coupe w/abs & a/t, red w/charcoal interior, Sticker was $16,990. We drove it and loved it, salesman told us we'd get another $1k off as our other car is a Chevy. Now you're talking my language, $4k off sticker. :-) Total out the door was $14,600 and change plus we love the car! This was about $1k more than I paid for my previous car, a '99 Escort SE. VERY happy w/car and price paid. Dealer experience was good too for a change. No high pressure tactics or other B.S.
  • laurawslauraws Member Posts: 1
    Does the $750.00 rebate come in the brochure? Are there any specific requirements on the student rebate of $500.00, that you know of? I greatly appreciate you adding all this information. I was told about most of it, but not the specifics on these two rebates!
    The $750.00 is a private offer from Ford. The coupon is located inside the brochure (not the brochure you get at the dealer) you have to go online on the ford Focus web sight and request a brochure sent to you from Ford you will find the coupon with your name on it inside.
  • eddiehaskell1eddiehaskell1 Member Posts: 12
    I got the personalized online brochure and it wasn't in it....I requested one via snail mail - hopefully it'll be in there.
    You're just probably better off getting competitive bids towards the end of the month. Regardless of marketing gimmicks. Most of the rebates state dealer participitation qualifications anyway. (So if you work the lowest or any deal and try to pop that you are a recent college grad in the military with a 750 rebate coupon from a brochure they can just state that the deal they are giving is so good they cannot honor them or only 1)

I'd probably be more excited about 4000 off msrp if the 19000 msrp focus ses and 17000 se didn't wholesale used for $10000-11000 or less in their 07 versions with avg miles.

--jjf
  • bobpinobobpino Member Posts: 3
    I got 2000 rebate plus 1000 conquest for having a non ford--could not use my 750 private rebate because ford said the 1000 conquest was also a private rebate and can only use one private rebate,
    BOY! somebody lied to you! The $750 coupon clearly states it can be used on top of any other offer! I got all the cash back that you did and when they ran the coupon on the computer Ford took it with no problems!
    I would like to pursue this rebate--anyone know who to contact at Ford?
    My dealer told me they called Ford and they would not give the $750 personal rebate with the 1000 conquest rebate-----
    Your telling me you got it?
    anyone else combine the two?

Maybe I could contact your dealer and see how they did it.
    In general a lot of the rebates state dealer participation may vary. The term "personal rebate" instead of factory rebate already sounds iffy. Many times these are marketing gimmicks. If the other guy got 3000 off msrp plus the 750 rebate and you got 3750 off msrp with their deal and "dealer discounts" you are about the same. (for about a 17000 vehicle) You would have to check with him to find out.

If they sent you the coupon you could always try to contact ford and see what forms to send in for the rebate, but they have been doing rebates for decades and usually have the participation wording exactly right to avoid this sort of thing.
    If the 1000 conquest rebate is not combinable with any other offer they could always take it back in exchange for the 750 and you could pay 250 more if you wish.

Good luck
    --jjf

I would like to pursue this rebate--anyone know who to contact at Ford?
    My dealer told me they called Ford and they would not give the $750 personal rebate with the 1000 conquest rebate-----
    Your telling me you got it?
    anyone else combine the two?

Maybe I could contact your dealer and see how they did it.
    As I said before, The $750.00 coupon clearly states that the $750.00 could be used on top of any and all offers! When I used all my cash incentives they put each one into the Ford Computer and Ford oked all of them in that combination with no hang ups! All Ford dealers use the same computer system and all inquires go to the same place. The only thing I can think of is that your coupon did work but the dealer kept the $750.00 for themselves! Did they keep your coupon or did you get it back? The dealer needs the coupon to get the money from Ford so if they kept the coupon maby they were doing some shady business with your money. If I were you I would check on that closely! I know I would be pissed off if someone stole $750.00 from me!!!! Good luck to you sir and I am sorry about your loss!!!
    It would be interesting to know what cars you bought, the price paid (sans tax and title) with all dealer fees and Msrp.

For factory rebates and others, you sign forms assigning your rebate to them for credit against the purchase price, instead of paying full price and mailing in the rebate yourself. If no signature and someone tries to claim the rebate in your name they would be in deep doo doo with Ford and State Attorney General . With their dealership at stake. Highly unlikely.

If this is a direct from ford rebate there is really nothing in it for the dealership to deny it. Perhaps a mistake was made and you can send it in but this coupon thing doesn't sound like the standard factory rebate.

Good Luck
    --jjf

money. If I were you I would check on that closely! I know I would be pissed off if someone stole $750.00 from me!!!! Good luck to you sir and I am sorry about your loss!!!
    I went with xplan pricing so there were no dealer discounts.
    1000 public ford rebate
    1000 ford finance rebate
    1000 conquest rebate for having a none ford car (this was advertised in paper so should not be considered a PRIVATE OFFER.

ALSO HAD A 750 PRIVATE REBATE supposed to be good on top of any public offers
    and also valid with xplan pricing.

dealer did not keep my 750 coupon, I still have it--tried contacting Ford but they just say contact dealer.
  • eterbyeterby Member Posts: 1
    So the price you mentioned here are OTD price or price before TTL? Thanks!
    I think 14000 for a Focus SES 08 OTD will be a great deal. Do you know somebody here make it before?
  • shaner429shaner429 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to by a used ZX3 or a ZX5. I am wondering what suggestions any of you might have with regard to options to get or things to avoid. Motor...etc. Also, what are the differences between the ZX3, ZX5 and SVT? mileage, suspension and Etc. I am thinking between 2001 and 2005. Really any suggestions are welcome.