Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
Welcome! Post your Focus buying experiences here!

Comments

• bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    sedan in september. MSRP was $16375. i get the d-plan, so it was $14869 less $2500 rebate. my buying experience was PHENOMINAL!!! my salesman (me) went out of his (my) way to ensure total satisfaction! i even gave him (me) top marks on the survey!
  • j_albertj_albert Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the headsup. I'll make sure to stay away from that salesman. He sounds like a real loser. If he was any good as a salesman, he wouldn't be buying a Focus, that's for sure!
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    I just purchased Two 05 foci ZX4 SES for $4,000 off sticker. This was a better deal than the X-plan I am elegible for. There is a dealer just outside charlotte NC that is offering 5,000 off sticker on all their in stock Focus Wagons
  • eddief1eddief1 Member Posts: 13
    My 1987 civic1500 has a very high idle that does not kick down. This causes the car to bang hard in to all gears what can be the problem? The car has the original carb and has 130.000 on the OD.
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    This discussion is only for topics relating to prices paid and buying experience. Your question is better suited for another forum. Try the Maintenance & Repair forum:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/Maintenance%20%26%20Repair

or the Problems and Solutions forum for Honda Civic owners:
    fmbob, "Honda Civic Owners: Problems & Solutions" #1, 3 Jan 2000 5:58 am!make=Honda&model=All&ed_makeindex=.ee995b8
  • barczykbarczyk Member Posts: 5
    I bought my 2000 Ford Focus SE in July 2003 with 47k miles on it for $5000. Since then I have driven back and forth across the country and just passed the 70k mark last week. The only money I have put into the car aside for changing the oil has been $450 for new tires and then a couple bucks for new brakes. I plan on keeping this car as long as it'll run.
  • zintharzinthar Member Posts: 2
    I just bought mine 04 / 5spd / 2.0 / nothing fancy, pretty basic with 8100 miles for $8900
    :D
  • mindaugusmindaugus Member Posts: 20
    I went down to the local dealer in Upstate New York and was surprised to find they had no manuals. The salesman tells me 99.9% of Americans buy autos. I thought he was full of it. Anyway his only bright idea was to order one and didn't find it strange to have just autos. I wonder if this is a large problem with ford. On other brands lots I've never not found manuals. Anyway the closest dealer is several miles away and I'll see if I can at least test drive one there.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    Manual is for pleasure. That's why Ford builds the '05 ST sedan Focus just for you -- stick only!
  • rwhaugenrwhaugen Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new 05 Focus (base model, only option was the air conditioner, manual transmission) - for $9125 plus TTL, etc. Drive out was just over $9900.

Sticker price was approximately $15,250.

The dealer had an ad in the paper for $8980 for the base models with AC but when I got to the dealership they had only this one for $9125.

Has anyone else have info on a recent base model purchase?

Thanks,

Robert

Is this price reasonable?
  • snwyvernsnwyvern Member Posts: 2
    Hi there -- There's a '04 focus at my local Ford dealer I'm unsure what incentives, rebates, holdbacks and marketing cash this vehicle has already soaked up. If anyone has any ideas.. Oh--

Car was made in late '03, It's a ZX3 (2 door hatch) Power everything was included in the base (ford sticker) price, with the only options being ABS, 6 disc and premium sound before the 8,000 add for the roush sticker... It's at the Ford store as a "make an offer!!!" car, I'd like to be armed with some intelligence as to what's reasonable to offer (for a three year old new car)

Thanks,
    Jason
  • wrabbitwrabbit Member Posts: 1
    I visited a couple of ford dealers, since I plan to buy a focus wagon. The best drive-out price I got is $15000 (SE). Is it reasonable?
    There is a dealer here in charlotte nc that is offering 25% off of MSRP. That means you should be able to get a loaded SES with auto,for about 15,500. If this dealer can do this your dealer should be able to do the same.
  • pdanapdana Member Posts: 19
    I recently tried to purchase a new ZX3 under the ford family plan. The price for the car was just over 10,000, but when calculating the final purchase price for the vehicle the salesman added the dealer fee which was over $500. This was all before he added the document fee, which was almost $300 and taxes. I was just wondering if this was normal. I live in a small town in Alabama and they're the only ford dealer around, the next one is about 90 miles away.
  • tomatinatomatina Member Posts: 1
    I just was curious if anyone had recently bought a 05 Focus ZX4 SE with the ford family plan discount and what they ended up spending?

In the end my out the door price (including tax, title, docs fees) with added sport package, automatic trans, and added cruise control for $14,300. (oh originally they wanted to charge aprox $2000 for some really expensive paint job, rust proofing, sound proofing which they knocked off the price because I told them I wasn’t willing to pay for it).

So Focus owners did i get a good deal?
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I just got one for $15500 out of the door. The only option was the automatic transmission, but I'd have paid and extra $500 for ABS and TC.

I was actually shopping for a used car, either hatch or SW, and the cars I was looking at were between $13000 and $14000, so an extra grand for a new car with warranty was a bargain.

The shopping experience was OK, but whenever I buy a car I'm left with the feeling that I should have haggled more. :)
  • nweilernweiler Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

My local Ford salesman says FMC will not allow price haggling on a new Focus ZX5, which already has $2500 cash back, and $1500 "Employee Price Discount". Now, while these discounts are great, I assumed that there would be a like reduction in the dealer invoice price, and that there would still be some room for haggling. His reply, "Absolutely not -- we're not allowed (by FMC) to sell for one dollar more or one dollar less than the sticker, with these incentives applied". Is this correct, or is this just a line to keep me from talking down the price any more?

Thanks,
    Norm in NJ
    Dude, $4,000 off MSRP on ANY Focus is a good deal!!
  • nweilernweiler Member Posts: 2
    No argument there, and I acknowledged such at the beginning of my post. I'm just curious if his statement is fact -- handed down by FMC, or fiction.

Norm
    Fiction! I bought a ZX5 SES 10 days ago for $200 below the asking price, which included $4000 off already.

HTH
    I just test drove'em all (SE & SES) over the weekend & fell in love w/ the SES, which neither Mazda nor Volvo can match this final tuning. My God, for just over $14k, I can have an "ultra comfy yet sporty" SES w/ ABS & audiophile.

Even if price is no object, where else are you gonna find a car that handles & rides this good w/ compact length, width & turning circle. Not the Civic, not even the C-class or the 3-series!

As an ST owner, I'm jealous of the comfy-riding SES. :(
    I wasn't impressed at all with the handling of the SES. My Intrigue and Bonneville can corner much faster and with more confidence than the Focus. Besides, the Pirelli P6 tires suck in wet weather...
  • gotlogosgotlogos Member Posts: 4
    I wish there was more serious price posting in this thread but here is mine:

18,060 sticker
    16,187 (after emplyee discount)
    -2500 (rebate)
    ---------
    13,687 (before trade-in)
    -1687 (trade in of 1995 Ford Windstar with 118K)
    -------
    12,000 (plus ttl)

I feel I should have sold the trade-in outright and maybe got another 200-400 off the 13,687 price but it seems like that is no-haggle price...so overall I am happy witht he deal (esp. with gas prices climbing)

Daniel
  • igor2igor2 Member Posts: 148
    Options: Side airbags, Sunroof, Automatic:
    just over 13K, with tazes in PA 14.5k.

and no haggling.. I was gonna wait a counple of months to save up for good down payment and all.. but with such discounts.. I got almost 30% off that is something to mention...

The only thing i don't like is that there was no car with ABS available when IWas looking: I would trade the sunroof for abs anytime...

Yeah the Family PLan does not allow haggling, but as edmunds said, you would most probably get this low only with LOTS of haggle, and this way, the sales guy is still my friend :-) and i closed the deal with ease and comfort...

Lastly: I too liked the Mazda, and was lookking elswhere, but I dilike sedans greatly, and for the value no one beats Ford (other reall need to look and stop bundling big engines and appearance packages with hatchback... ).

Igor
  • gotlogosgotlogos Member Posts: 4
    With a Kia (2001) not sounding particularly good I went in and got her a focus too (3 door coupe with jet black - it a ZX3 - very nice looking, super sporty looking - my daughter loves it).

Anyway I was able to 'haggle' the price down another $237.00 off the FFP...I think it all depends on the disposition of your sales manager. But it takes a lot of nerve to try to ask for much more off the price they have on these, for sure...
  • javnerjavner Member Posts: 23
    Someone in another Focus thread mentioned Ford will match a downpayment upto $500? Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks!
  • samshysamshy Member Posts: 4
    Just bought 2005 ZX4 SES with following options:

. Traction Control
    . ABS
    . Side Airbags
    . Heated Seats and outside mirrors
    . Auto. transmission

The SES comes with many standard features. Its not the best compact car out there, but at these price they offer a great value. The closest compact car with some of these features are Civic and Corolla and they run around $18K and still not get all of these features. I also looked at Accord EX-L which you can get around $21.5K and have all (except traction contro)l I wanted traction control, heated seats and ABS for safety and comfort during winter.

Ford MSRP: 19100
    Ford Family Plan Price: 14723 (including 2500 case rebate)
    - 523 additional discount
    ======
    + 299 doc. fee
    ======

The dealer was Quirk Ford in Quincy, MA. I have bought from there before and I bought through their internet sales guy. We worked out the price via email. They tried to push the warranty, but I was not interested. I did not argue much about the doc. fee as they would have simply reduced the additional discount. Plus, at these price I just felt that this was a fair deal for everybody.

I really like the way it drives. It feels more sporty than Civic or Corolla. The engine is more popowerfulhan Civic/Corolla. The standard radio in SES is 6 CD-MP3 in dash changer with duplicate audio control on the steering wheel. There is no option to get power seats, but its kind of thing you adjust only once in a while. The back seats are comfortable for kids or adults for short ride. The trunk is big for a compact car. I will see if it gives 34 MPG as advertised. At high speeds (70+) you can hear the engine and road noise.

Overall this is a good commute car with decent gas mileage and fun ride.
  • pete22pete22 Member Posts: 80
    The Civic and Mazda price probable isn't as good as focus but not as bad as you think, I've been getting internet quiotes. The option I want Power (windows, doors) and auto. Anyway the quotes thus far for those options on a Honda was 14,900 and on a Mazda 15,800.
    "Its not the best compact car out there..."

Than what is?

The Accord may be a slightly better car overall, but who sez it's a compact? Except when comes to resale, it sure digs into your wallet in a rather compact way.

At under 67" width, the Focus evades Japan's wide-car tax, which should start at 170cm.

I bought the fun little narrow-&-tall BUT STABLE Focus ST b/c these wider Mazda3 & S40 actually got a narrower rear-glass visibility to offer instant safe passing to the right, plus the new electro-hydraulic steering assist hurts steering feel. Other "telephone booth" cars w/ high chair tend to feel tippy over high-speed corners b/c their platforms aren't German designed.

By the way, how many compact cars rides as smoothly as the Focus SES?
    What was the additional discount for. Is there further discounts to be gotten over the Family price and the 2500 rebate. I know I pulled up a car that matches my needs on the Ford site. But it comes up to 13850 or so there. If I could add Traction Control
    , ABS, and Side airbags for onl 700 more I'd do that.
    I looked at Civic and to get ABS, you have to get EX trim ($17K), and you still would not get traction cotrol. Also, heated seats, 6 CD in dash changer and duplicate audio controls are not available in any Civic trim. I liked the quiet ride of Civic and interior quality, but I would be paying lot more ($3K) and get lot less in a Civic.
    Some dealers would not go below the Ford Family Plan, but Quirk and few others I talked to were ready to discount below the Family price. In my opinion, dealers with huge Focus inventory (20+ focus on lot) were ready to discount below the family plan price, while others with little inventory (<5 focus on lot) were not willing to discount. In New England region, I did not find many 2005 Focus SES left over. Many dealres had the S or few SE trim, but only few had SES trim
    Add $150 for heated seats and you would get Family price of $14723.
    I should qualify my self when using the tem "best". Focus is "best value" in compact car and that is why I chose it. There are better compact car in terms of build quality and interior material quality. e.g the arm rest between front passanger is so small and fixed that you can barely rest your arm on it. Honda make it a sliding arm rest so that you can position it the way you like it. The ride is much quieter in Civic/Corolla. The hood and the trunk are both padded with insulation in Civic/Corolla while Focus leaves them unpadded. The sound of closing doors on Focus gives you "hollow" feeling, using the swicth for the front map light sounds like it is going to break soon.

What Focus lacks in the material and build, it make up in features and value. I looked at Accord EX-L because that was the next higher level car that offered everything I wanted in the Focus. Even in Accord, you get traction control in EX-V6 only. Even Focus' big brother Taurus did not offer all these options in a car. You would have to get the Ford Five Hundread to get them.

I could not believe that Focus offers all modern options except side curtain bags for front and rear. And you can mix and match options; only choose what you want. I did not care for sunroof and leather, so I got one without it. In Civic, you cannot mix and match many of these options.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    last year i bought a focus too. you are right about the materials and quality of build. it could be better. my wife and i still enjoy the heck out of it, although we don't have to drive it if we don't want to. it has tons of features. i looked at corollas/civics too. to get abs on a corolla, the only ones i found were 's' models which stickered at about 20g's.
    based on what i paid for the focus, i could only get a 2 door civic 'vp'.
    i have a moonroof and heated seats, so i'm happy no matter what the climate. :)

i just washed the focus and parked it in the street. a couple of people on their walks, were giving it looks that seemed like envy, to me. i know one of them drives a big buick. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Yes your right about the Civic and ABS. also the same on the Mazda it's pretty expensive. I'm in Southern California so am willing to pass on the traction control and ABS. Also I don't care that much about the 5 disk CD. But still would go for the SES since I want the cruise control, leather steering wheel and 16 inch tires.
    Anyway so far didn't find anyone willing to nogioate from the Family price + rebate.
    In fact I get that price anyway because where I work gives me an x-plan price (i think thats whats it called) and was told that its the same as the f-plan price. Anyway been exchanging emails with an abnoxious Ford internet sales guy, went to the ford site found a car and emailed him to find out if he had a local discount above the Ford family and rebate. He emailed back and said he'll give me a special internet price and I can only get it if I see him. Then next email sends me an invoice with the same price the Ford web site gives you and says its his special deal and he's only around 3 days a week. When I mentioned I could get the same price by just walking in the door and seeing anyone, he emails back that he expected loyalty for all the work he did for me (an email giving me the Ford family price) and was outraged that I'd be so disloyal as to buy the car from someone elese there. Anyway I'm still waiting to see what happens with the Fplan after the 6th. I heard it's mostly will be extended. If not I wonder if they will increase the rebate, I which case I already get the X-plan so that would be to my advantage.
    You're right about the Focus' interior material. I got to warn all of you before buying an '05 Focus -- the air coming out of the vents of my charcoal interior kept giving me (& everyone else) a nauseating plastic smell, & I had this '05 ST since Oct '04.

I don't lower the seat all the way, so my right elbow feels just right & relaxing resting on that high center armrest while shifting the stick.

Other than that, the Focus' elastic ride & responsive handling is like a dream, & the Civic/Corolla can't even come close.
  • likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    Sorry I didn't see any Zx4 forums or really anywhere to ask this..

I'm either buying a New Focus Sedan or a used. So far it seems like the new is only like 20-40 more than the used.

I was thinking instead, maybe go with a used LX which would be even cheaper. But I can't find too much online about the LX's. Are these the ones with themost problems and to stay away from? I guess it was anything before 2004 that's bad because of the recalls?

Or are focuses better in general new, less problems? I hear a lot of problems iwth these cars so I'm kind of worried. I really like the focus though so..
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    You should check out this thread.. Ford Focus ZX3/ ZX5 Owners: Problems & Solutions .. to get an idea about problems on a previous model..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Price Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    Five Star Ford here in North Richland Hills TX has told me that they are "having a sale" this weekend (yeah yeah) and all 2006 Focuses are $4000 off sticker. So I'm wondering, would that work? The cars I am looking at are various ZX4 S sedans, AC and auto, no other options, MSRP of $16020. So that's $12,020 plus tax/title/plates. The Simple Plan price accoring to Ford is $15,333 ($687 off sticker) less $1500 rebate for a final price of $13,833 and this dealer is $1813 under that? Am I in for a gimmick sales tactic or are others finding basic Focus sedans down around $12K?
  • thomas1234thomas1234 Member Posts: 3
    This board is apparently in hibernation, but here goes:

06 Focus SE XZ4 with these two options:
    auto trans
    safety package (ABS & side airbags)

MSRP: 16725
    Price: 15792
    Rebate:-2000

Total: 13792 + TTL

Your thoughts?
    The best price on a Focus tend to drift between 3k and 4k off MSRP. While not a bad price you need to shop every Ford dealer around you to verify the best price.
  • duck68137duck68137 Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a red ZX4 SES with Automatic. MSRP was $17,135. After 2500 rebate, 500 college rebate, 500 auto show rebate & 500 rebate when financed through FORD, final price was $12,239. Not a bad price for a car with all these features. :)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    sounds like you got a sweet deal. about 2 years ago, i bought a focus to keep mileage off our other cars. it is a much more enjoyable vehicle than i expected to get.
    the $500 college rebate would had to get extended way back to have me qualify. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • teenspiritteenspirit Member Posts: 3
    Got sport package, convenience package and safety package.
    MSRP $17125, vehicle price $11695, OTD price $12874.
  • tdepoalatdepoala Member Posts: 9
    I know it's not an available option, but has anyone been able to talk their dealer into adding the heated seats (weather package) to their '06 SE?

Nick
    Automatic, Safety package, Convenience package.

MSRP $16,950
    Neg price $15,542
    Rebates $3,000

Final Price $12,542.

Nick
  • huey4417huey4417 Member Posts: 1
    I found a single owner, pampered, 2002 Ford Focus ZTS w/Mach Audio sound system, 51,000 miles in outstanding condition, new tires, etc. It is not a true Mach edition Focus but sort of a "mock Mach" if you will. The owner is asking $7900 which appears to be a pretty fair asking price based on Edmunds valuation. The problem is I live in Michigan where unemploymrent is bad and getting worse everyday and the only things that are selling are at rock bottom prices i.e. homes, boats, cars. So I'm trying to figure out how much the "experts" would tell me I should pay for this car? Edmunds lists the trade-in value at approx. $7100 so it appears the car is somewhat priced to sell at $7900, but who knows anymore. Thoughts anyone? What would YOU pay for a car like this? It really is in outstanding condition. Thanks.
    You could probably offer $7000 or even low ball at $6500 and see what they come back with. But if money isn't a huge issue for $5k more you can get a brand new car.. perhaps not a fully loaded ZTS, but a ZX4 for sure (see my post above). I'd just be concerned buying a car who's warranty is soon to expire.
  • mospacemospace Member Posts: 1
    I bought my ST in Michigan at Jack Keller Ford while on vacation! I paid about $17,500 receiving about $4k off the list price. It is nicely equipped only lacking a few items such as side impact airbags, perimeter security and some other small doo-dads. It has leather seats (heated), moon-roof, and the Appearance package with a wing. I love it. The buying experience was good. It took awhile because the dealership was actually quite busy. So far, I'm pretty pleased. Check out ClubFocus for lots of information on upgrades etc.... (www.clubfocus.net).