Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cargirl13cargirl13 Member Posts: 22
    Anyone know of any good dealerships in the Boston area to get a focus?
  • hunnydewhunnydew Member Posts: 26
    Came over here to see if anyone has bought a 2006 ZX3 lately. What did you pay? What trim/options did you get? I'm just doing my research. :)
  • skaneskane Member Posts: 1
    2006 ZX3 SE 5 speed

after 3000 in rebates and haggling(not enough, probably) It was just about $12800

options:
    1 ABS/side airbags
    2 tilt/telescope wheel, cruise
    3 Sport package (leather wheel, fog lights, alloys)
    Still, a very good deal considering the price of the Korean cars in its class. I am most impressed with the Mazda designed engine now used. It sounds something close to sporty when pushed. Fuel economy in mixed driving has been about 28.5 MPG which is ok.
  • jluffjluff Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I just bought a 2006 Ford focus sedan at Herb Chambers in MA...there is one in Braintree on the quincy line. I got a base SE sedan model for $11,311.00 after the rebates! I got $4,249 of sticker!!!! I have power locks, windows,power mirrors, center console, Remote keyless entry and AC!!! They were great and the cheapest deal I could find. They even gave me the "hold back" of $450 from Ford which the dealership gets to help with costs. I negotiated online first by sending out 25 quote requests and emailed them all back with the best offer thus far before going to any dealership or calling them back. The dealership experience was like "wham bam thank you mam" because of it. 20 min the first time, then 40 the second to fill out the paperwork and show my wife the car...lol. I will never ever go into a dealership before doing this again. Great experience when they fight and compete for your business instead of the other way around.

Good luck if you havent bought already. Please let me know what you think..

JIM
  • huntleyhuntley Member Posts: 14
    Hi -

At Wayside Ford in Marlborough, Massachusetts, I just purchased a 2006 Ford Focus ZX4 SES, with heated leather seats, automatic transmission, sunroof, 6-CD player, anti-lock brakes, and alloy wheels, for an amazing $15,100. With the rebates on the vehicle, how can you beat that? This seems to be the perfect choice during this critical gas time. Driving it is a pleasure so far even though I think the exterior looks rather anonymous and dated. How on earth can you beat this price for a car, fully equipped, in today's market? The victims moaning about the high gas prices for their SUV's, need to re-adjust their thinking. Jim, congratulations! You got a great price on a great vehicle. Take a look at Consumer Reports sometime and you will see the Ford Focus ZX4 is at #2. I drove the #1 choice, the Civic, and found it to be too low, plus the price would have been full MSRP (close to $20,000, no leather, no heated seats). The Focus is a better choice, a better deal and even better to drive.
  • cargirl13cargirl13 Member Posts: 22
    Wow...I am very impressed with your deal..Did you get a manual or automatic?
    Cargirl ... I got the Focus with the auto transmission.

Initially I was going to purchase a Dodge Caliber. I was reluctant because 1.) It's a first-year model, 2.) the Focus handled better, and 3.) a Calibar similarly equipped would have been around $20,000 (full MSRP . . no deals). The reasonable price of the Focus (invoce + rebates), along with superb handling and a fun-to-drive factor won me over. My only regret is that I love the styling of the Caliber and think it's a much more interesting looking vehicle. Maybe next time around.
    I wanna make sure I understand this. The price of the car was $15100 before the rebates? So how much did the final cost come to including all the fees and such? How was the price brought down to $15100 in the first place? I'm just curious because I plan on buying a new ZX3 at the end of the month.

Thanks!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    a local dealer has an ad for a focus 4dr msrp 17,2xx, offered price 13,180.
    you can go to forddirect.com browse inventory, plus see the window stickers and invoice amount. it's a good resource.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Hunnydew . . . I found the car on-line at forddirect.com from a local dealer. You can see the actual sticker price at that site. I looked for the best Focus I could find with the most options. Heated seats were a must. I liked the ST the most but it didn't offer auto transmission, so I settled for a ZX4 SES instead. The MSRP was $19,380. I got the invoice price from Edmunds. Then I deducted $3000 in rebates, went to the dealer, showed him my paperwork, and acted undecided. This was one of several vehicles I would have settled for (Mazda3, Dodge Caliber, Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan). The dealer called me back 3 days later and agreed to the price. $15,100 was the out-the-door price (invoice plus $3000 in rebates.) I also did financing which gave me another $500 off. So the actual price is less than $15,000. That price is unbeatable for what I got.
    edmunds 'invoice' is lower than ford's 'invoice', so it sounds worth giving a try. either way, you can get a great deal. it's a good car, there is just some low budget stuff on it. otoh, you can get some great features too.
    Oh wow, what a deal you got! Thanks for explaining it for me. I've browsed the dealer inventory online before, but out of 30 ZX3s only 1 has ABS and it's white (ewww) and a little out of my price range. Gotta have the ABS so I'll have to wait for the '07 to roll out.

I actually already own a 2000 Focus ZX3 and *love* it. Just want to get a newer one now. Great little car, I'd reccomend it to anyone (I try to convince everyone to buy one). :)
  • ahmadrahmadr Member Posts: 4
    I just got a black ZX5 SE manual, with the safety, convenience, and sport packages and 6-cd changer for 16500 - 3500 = 13000. I would have preferred a SES with just the safety package, and probably another color, but none were available anywhere near Houston.

MSRP was 17170 + 545. Invoice was 16666 according to dealer, and 16448 according to edmunds. edmunds TMV was 16885. Rebates were 2500 general + 500 matching downpayment + 500 grad student.
  • kam108kam108 Member Posts: 16
    We just purchased an SES with moonroof, safety pkg, automatic. After deciding which model/features we wanted, I used Edmunds site to find the TMV, and then asked for dealer quotes thru Edmunds. What a wonderful buying experience! Most of the dealers called, a few gave me quotes online. And unfortunately a couple wouldn't give a quote without me coming in! One of the dealers internet sales persons(Northland Ford in Zelie, Pa) found the exact match for the car I wanted(she searched 2100 dealers). She quoted me a price of $14,018 after rebates. The rebates were $3000. Plus she gave me an internet coupon for another $100 off! this made the price $802 under Edmunds TMV price! The dealer she worked for happened to be the closest dealer to us. The car she located was from a different dealer, so they transported the car to the local dealer the next day, and we went in to sign papers and pick up the car. I am very happy with the car and what we paid for it!
  • chstr1000chstr1000 Member Posts: 32
    Just purchased a new ZX4 SES with automatic, safety package and moonroof for $4598 under MSRP. Bought it at Mike Kehoe Ford in Jefferson City, MO.

MSRP - 18,110
    invoice- 17,012
    rebate - 2,500
    coupon - 1,000

Price - 13,512

:shades:
  • zcgzcg Member Posts: 1
    Price after rebates(2500 + 500 Graduate +500 Finacing from Ford) is 13500, the OTD price (13500+TTL)is 15000.

Car details: ZX5 with options like Automatic Transmission,Safety Package(ABS&SideAirbags),SportsPackage and convenience group, plus the perimeter alarm.

Since there is only 2 cars with the ABS on it, I don't have a lot of choices. I think the price I paid is a little bit higher (about 500 ). However, it is still a good buy. :-b

Thanks everybody who post your buying experiences, thant helped me alot.

BTW: I live in NewYork upstate.

Althought this is my first new car, I really love my Focus ZX5, great handling, a lot of useful featuers... ;) Everyone with a tight budget like me should consider buying a Focus, forget those Sky-Higher-Price Japanese cars!!
  • harrydogyoharrydogyo Member Posts: 8
    What a deal. Just got a 2006 SES sedan $400 under invoice AND $3500 of rebates. Found the one we wanted searching inventory online and made a deal. Great car for the money

Looks like the 2007 Focus Fuel Econ numbers are out and they're better than the 2006. Does that mean there were changes with the car in 07 or just luck of the draw? If anyone knows let me know.
  • neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    I am looking to find a ses in my area. I figure I should be able to get one for about $13500 after rebates and matching down payment. Can't find one. Today, I found a used 05 ses just like I like it. I just can't see them discounting that much. Most se's go for 11500 - 12000. What should I offer for the used one, I'm thinking 11500.
    you might try 'forddirect.com'. you can search dealer invertory, and a window pops up at some point which prompts for info if you didn't find a vehicle that suits your requirements.
  • dudette3dudette3 Member Posts: 45
    Does anyone know if you can get Ford College Graduate $500 in addition to normal rebates and A plan? The dealer we spoke to today said no, but I also think we should be able to get it. Any way to verify?
  • chipkarsickerchipkarsicker Member Posts: 14
    I believe you could've done better. There have been other rebates like $500 for AQHA members (buy one year membership for $35), $500 for college or graduate students(pass if you aren't a student), and, beginning June 1st, there is another $1000 stand alone retail customer cash offer, according to forddirect.com. So you missed @ least $1500 rebate.
  • dudette3dudette3 Member Posts: 45
    My understanding is the 07 is new, so it has had some changes. The deal you got is great, I don't think you could've done much better, the 1000 dollar rebate just offered is separate from teh other rebates you got. The Ford Family Plan price is about 400 under invoice, and you can't get the college grad rebate with that according to the Ford website. So congrats!

BTW, I heard about the 3000 that was being offered in May, but how did you get an additoinal 500?
    Got the other $500 as a "First time buyer" since my wife hadn't purchased a car before.

Looking at the 07 online though, I still can't tell what's new... It's a great car though. Very happy. Have to love the power of the internet.
    Looks like the stand alone $1k replaced the other offer (one or the other according to Ford), but great tip on the $35 membership opening the door to a $500 discount. :) And wish I was still a student (*sigh*)
  • moonshineal04moonshineal04 Member Posts: 1
    After reading many of your posts I don't think I am being offered the best price at my dealer.
    My dad made the mistake of talking about our trade in before we negotiated a price. I don't know if that makes a difference but they had no problem of giving us 1000 dollars more than their original offer. Anyways, I have an x-plan and I was wondering what rebates I can get with that and if they are playing me. Because they offered the sticker price minus the x-plan minus 1000 rebate. that didnt include the student discount or anything else. I feel like I am not getting the best deal... HELP.
  • jluffjluff Member Posts: 2
    Hey Cargirl,

Its been a while since Ive been on.

Its a manual shift, but for $11,311(with the $2500 rebate, $500 match, $450 holdback, and $804 off sticker of $15565) with all those good options.. Im not complaining. Getting an automatic SE would be impossible I would think, and I was told this was a net/net deal. The guy only made $75 on me . It was a "mini" as they say. I Love the idea of them giving me the hold back on the vehicl though.. for everyone's future knowledge it is 3% from ford on the invoice of the vehicle.
    Only the big dealers seem to be willing to offer this. I got a few nasty replies when I mentioned what I was offered and made the internet managers compete for my business.

Herb Chambers is the biggest Ford dealership in MA. I know there is one in Braintree MA, and Westboro, MA. At the end of the month.. they just wanted to push metal to meet their goals...didn't care about not making anything.

Its Fun stuff not having to play the haggle game. I never liked sitting for 3 hours at the dealership. 20 minutes suits me best.

Thanks
  • hermarushermarus Member Posts: 1
    A new ZXW SE with automatic, safety package, conveniece group

MSRP - 19,070
    invoice- 18,1xx
    rebate - 2,500 + 500 new grad
    coupon - 1,000

Price - 14,000
    OTD price - 15,000

Not sure if this price is good.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Sounds like a good deal, same vehicle here runs about $1,100.00 more
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Numerous ads on motoralley.com advertise the focus for 5000-6000 off msrp. This is backed up by numerous posts on this forum. Work your deals down from here.

As a comparison, A $17,700 msrp 5 door Focus hatch SE is similar to a Toyota Scion Xa 5 door hatch with a no haggle price of $14,200 (The unique looking XB is 15300) There's $3500 difference right there and there is no comparison as to quality or reputation. (This isn't snobbery I want a Focus but I see the difference ) Plenty of padding on that Focus MSRP. Invoice -rebates usually only gets us 3500-4200 off. We need more.

A one year old $18,000 Focus is a 10,500 wholesale car in a year. Only a masochist wants to eat 6-8000 on a Focus so take it easy on yourself and get 5-6000+ off (or more in sept-oct leftovers) or buy a SCION and enjoy the looks (both qualitative and people staring) and quality ( Only one problem with Scion-- no cruise control... possibly remedied in 07)

--jjf
    unless you are totally brain dead, nobody is going to pay sticker for a focus.
    a couple of things, comparably equipped the scion is a couple thousand more, real world.
    plus it has that horrible center stack, although focus radio is pretty lame to look at.
    xa also has that rear beam axle. that is so k-car.
    if some prefer a rebodied 'echo', that's ok.
  • whislergalwhislergal Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Hi, I'm new to this and wasn't sure how to submit a comment, other than to reply to this one. Anyhow, I have been looking at a 06 CPO 4dr SE and was given a price of 12999.00. I don't know alot about the certified pre-owned mumbo-jumbo. I only drive between 4000 & 5000 miles yearly, so would this be worth it in the long run?

i also received a quote on a 06 new Focus with the same options this buyer listed. However, let's not forget tax is added to the selling price/fees, THEN they subtract the rebate. :P ARGH!!!
    run away!
  • juppjupp Member Posts: 7
    Paid 17,585 not including tax, title or legal stuff.

Could have got it cheaper but took the 4.9% for 60 months finance deal.

Has cold weather package (heated seats & mirrors), convenience group (power windows, locks etc.), automatic, safety package (side bags and antilock brakes)cargo cover.

TOTAL MSRP = 19,470

Good deal or "coulda/shoulda done better" deal? Not sure.
    Your vehicle wholesales for about 11000 in a year. Not sure I would want to eat around $6000 to drive a focus for a year.

A Toyota SCION Xb (not my cup of tea, but a wagon of better quality nonetheless) has a no dicker MSRP of $15300 similarly equipped and wholesales for around $12000 in a year.

If your credit is so-so, and they still financed at 4.9% that may sweeten the deal a bit.

I personally would have passed. (See my message #83) (Unless I really really really needed a 07 Focus Wagon right now this minute)

--jjf

Paid 17,585 not including tax, title or legal stuff.

Could have got it cheaper but took the 4.9% for 60 months finance deal.

Has cold weather package (heated seats & mirrors), convenience group (power windows, locks etc.), automatic, safety package (side bags and antilock brakes)cargo cover.

TOTAL MSRP = 19,470

Good deal or "coulda/shoulda done better" deal? Not sure
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I think that's a pretty good deal for a wagon that is a LOT better than a Scion xA (I've owned an xA and the Focus hatchback). In Europed and Asia, the Focus is one entire size class up from the xA. Bigger is better. Consumer Reports likes the Focus wagon, too. Enjoy!
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    I'm looking at an 07 SE model with an invoice of $16024. I'm thinking about offering $13024 ($500 below invoice plus $2500 rebate). Do you all think I can do better than that, or this is a good enough price beased on your experience? Thanks.
    If you're flexible on colors and options to some extent give emails to 10-20 dealerships (ford dealer locator) and tell them you're getting 10-20 quotes from dealerships for the focus SE with options and colors you want (Give them an MSRP range) and see if you can narrow it down to a few eager beavers who want to book a low/no profit sale towards the end of the month. (no other time really to buy a car if you can help it

In general, your best price is obtained by putting a lot of them in a competitive bidding situation in your area. Find out for yourself if you can do better. Peoples's opinions on this stuff is of limited value. Don't set foot into a dealership (except test drive) until you've narrowed it down to the lowest bids.

Look at my message 12481 in the Honda accord prices paid forum for resources to learn how to buy a car. Give that a shot.

--jjf
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Thanks. I already got one dealer to offer $500 below invoice without much negotiating at all. At that price, they don't make much money if at all, even considering the hold back. Then I saw people here getting $1K below invoice before rebate. How is that possible? I'm also debating wether to get a 06 or 07 (with $500 less rebate). But I'm gonna try and offer $1K below invoice before rebate and see if there's any takers.
    That assumes you know what their cost is which you dont. (Only sales mgr knows that and that can change from month to month qtr to qtr)

--jjf

At that price, they don't make much money if at all, even considering the hold back.
  • afidlerafidler Member Posts: 1
    Alright, I'm staged to buy a 2007 ZX5, I'm in the same boat as some of the previous posts:

- I have X-plan, and while I was planning on haggling with my dealership before discussing what I was guaranteed by the X-plan, they asked outright and I told them. The result is I'm being presented with roughly a 9% discount off sticker, a few hundred over invoice, but the dealer states they're not allowed to discount anything further than the X-plan price. I offered to consider in stock 2006 or some 2007's that they had with more extras than I was interested in...no flexibility on the part of the dealer.

The result is I went with a factory purchase since I wasn't afforded any value/discount by taking a pre-made car with not enough or too many extras. I've given $100 check to order the car, then go through the paperwork on rebates when the car is ready for my posession.

1- I feel I'm backed into a corner on the x-plan...I checked with two other area dealers and they didn't give any latitude when they learned I was X-plan either. Is this just a gimmic to get a reasonable profit from customers without having to negotiate with them? My dealer stated I was getting added value from the X-plan since Ford prevents them from tacking on extra fees to the sale.

2- Oct 2nd we're looking at the new rebate cycle...I'm tempted to let the car sit on the lot (when it arrives) until after the 2nd then see what the new perks are. If for some reason the rebates dissappear, and from what I'm reading they don't, I would be out $100 or get to negotiate with the dealer.

I'd really appreciate some advice, this is my first new car, and my family doesn't buy NEW cars so my knowledge pool is pretty thin. I'm tempted to state I decline the x-plan the day of signing on the car and push to negotiate.

Thanks!

Andrew
    Toledo, OH
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    That few hundred over invoice might be a wash because of no "extra added dealer fees". Do they have any "extra added fees" usually? Figure out your exact cost at "INVOICE" thru the Edmunds site with all of your added options. Then see what your price would have been as compared to the X-Plan pricing. Remember, there is a hefty rebate on the Focus.
    I have bought several Ford/Mercury vehicles with the X-Plan (and of course the good rebates) and found it to be a pretty good deal as compared to invoice deals because of the "no haggle" and "no extra costs" involved.
    As far as new Oct. incentives as compared to what they are now...I can't help you.
    I believe there was only $500.00 difference in rebates between the 2006 and 2007.
    You need to get competitive bids from at least 15-20 dealers towards the end of the month. Flexibility on colors/options is a plus. Avoid quick quotes from car sites.

Go review my message 12481 in accord prices paid discussion. It reviews some resources and books you must read to learn to buy a car. This info will be useful the rest of your car buying career.

In your case, a 19,000 MSRP Ford Focus is a 11,000 wholesale car 1st year.

For comparison a 15,000 no haggle priced Scion XB wagon is a 12000 vehicle in a year, so you can see there is a lot of padding on that Focus MSRP. (Rebates giving back money that was never there anyway eg msrp 23000 with 6000 in rebates) This manufacturer gives the sales force flexibility with this high msrp though as they can sell 1 out of 12 or so uninformed folks the auto at MSRP and knock off $500.

No one wants to eat 7-$8000 on a Focus or any car in this range 1st year so I would want $4000-5000 off at least on a 2007. May have to wait for sept oct for more selection to show up.

--jjf
    If a new Ford Focus is $19,000.00 MSRP and you get a $3000.00 rebate off of invoice (about $18,000.00) which means you buy it for $15000.00....how do you figure you t eat a $7000 t0 $8000 loss.. My figures come out to a $4000.00 hit according to your $11,000.00 figure. Let's face it, you can buy ANY Focus at INVOICE right NOW!!!
    I know what you meant, but let's call it like it really is.
    I have no Idea what you are talking about

No one wants to eat 7-$8000 on a Focus or any car in this range 1st year so I would want $4000-5000 off at least on a 2007. May have to wait for sept oct for more selection to show up.

I cant say my opinion any clearer, college grad, rebates, boyscout rebates, hidden dealer cash ... I would want at least 4000-5000 off (depending on msrp) an 07. Shoot for more as I've seen 5500 off advertised at year end.

I would not want to pay 15000 for ANY focus. Even the one owned by Elvis. I word it this way for the folks like the wagon guy who wrote in who apparently doesn't know about the $3000 under invoice.

--jjf

know what you meant, but let's call it like it really is.
    "I would not want to pay $15,000.00 for ANY Focus"...that is strictly your opinion...There a many people, that, (with the $3000.00 rebate off of invoice for a 2006 ZX5 SES) (which, by the way is loaded for bear) "WILL" buy same. In fact, if you check the Ford dealer inventories, the 2006 Focus are just about all gone. The reason, the rebates off of invoice. Many, many people shop price (a lot of them).
  • rasldaslrasldasl Member Posts: 74
    I just bought a 2007 ZX5 SE on X-plan. None of the dealers in the area had any 2006 models left and even in 2007 models the 5 door was downright scarce.
    The dealer had tags hanging from the rearview mirrors on all the cars listing their discount and it was clear they were offering about $600 off list (plus the 2500 rebate) on all the 2007s. I had the X-plan info with me and I had not researched (beyond Edmunds TMV) what others were paying so I thought I was getting a pretty good deal with another $300 or so beyond the discount offered on the tag. After all, the markup (before holdback) is pretty small on the Focus.
    In the end, I paid the X-plan price, got a pretty fair deal on my trade-in, paid a reasonable $395 for a 5/60 extended warranty and got a phenomenal interest rate (5.85%). I feel like I was treated fairly even if the price of the car itself could have been a bit lower without X-plan.
    I have to ask you....What type or warranty did you purchase that only cost $395.00 for 5yr/60,000 mile. Sure doesn't sound like an OEM to me.
  • rasldaslrasldasl Member Posts: 74
    It was a Ford factory extended warranty, I think the premier plan. $100 deductible after the bumper to bumper warranty runs out. Covers almost everything not covered by the new extended factory powertrain warranty (which I realize is shorter than last year's special Focus extended powertrain warranty). It also includes for the entire length a rental car from day 2 in the shop.
    Well, if that's an actual Ford OEM warranty, that's a darn good price. Congrats and enjoy your Ford.
    i think the longer powertrain warranties have resulted in lower prices for what is usually thought of as the extended warranty.