Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• prusaprusa Member Posts: 43
    The total cost was $285.00 including tax. The truth is that it even looks better than the original one. You can't even tell the difference! So.... (silly me) I was going to pay $715.00 for the Toyota sticker that you can't even see and that is at the bottom of the windshield. Well, today... had to place my post decals (to enter the military post) so the Toyota sign was not going to be visible anyway. Thanks for giving me your opinion. Now, I am back to enjoying my Prius. It is people like you that make this forum so important.
    PRUSA :blush::)
  • bubkisbubkis Member Posts: 10
    I know this post was quite some time ago. I too am looking for a cargo area liner. I have one of these in my explorer and outback, they work great and you can customer fit to the area you want to protect. I found 2 types they seem equally good.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductBrowse?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATE- NTRY_ID%3A2004637&productId=2004637&catalogId=10101&N=111%2B10201%2B600000596&rl- id=group_listing

and

http://www.jcwhitney.com/TRIM-TO-FIT-RUBBER-BED-PROTECTORS/GP_2016745_N_111+1020- 1+600000996_10101.jcw

would love to know what you think of them
  • mshadmshad Member Posts: 1
    Can someone enlighten me on the differences between the Touring and the Standard (or Base) model? Form what I read online, I beleive the tires and wheels are different and perhaps the suspension - is there any major benefit of this? I live in Dallas (in case it matters for the tires) and am contemplating a buying a 208 Prius once I sort through all the options. Is this worth spending the extra $$ for?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Slightly wider tires and maybe slightly different suspension tuning -- not worth the money in my book. You find all the details on toyota.com.
  • bob204bob204 Member Posts: 7
    I have an '06 Prius with the reverse beep that in my long driveway is a nuisance. You have removed same on your car.. How to do it, please? I am technology-challenged so nice easy steps would really help.. thanks, brooks
  • pittsburgh40bpittsburgh40b Member Posts: 1
    I have the same question--where do you put your trash bag and other items you want to keep within easy reach while driving? Nothing in Toyota accessories offers a solution.

Can anyone suggest a solution for storage near the driver's seat?

Of course, this is a minor gripe--I feel lucky to have found a Prius before gas prices marched toward $4/gallon and new models became scarce.
  • hairgalhairgal Member Posts: 24
    I just purchased my Prius, I love the car..but. I was disappointed that the sealent paint protector was something I had to apply myself, is that customary? Also has anyone had the additional spray under the car to limit noise, that also was to be included in the price..how do I tell if it was done?
  • tothemaxx2tothemaxx2 Member Posts: 22
    We purchased one from Weathertech. It is excellent and requires no "cut to fit." Is a perfect fit and the highest quality.

http://www.weathertech.com/
  • scrittibearscrittibear Member Posts: 1
    Weathertech Cargo mat is wonderful - fits my 2008 just fine - bought mine on Amazon $69 - free shipping too - worth it.
  • rick294rick294 Member Posts: 77
    I seem to have lost my instruction sheet that tells how to turn off that light. Anybody help on this one?
    The dealership I bought our 2008 Prius from adds that "bumper protector" to all the Prii it sells. It cost $65 and I think it's a ripoff for nothing more than a vinyl sticker. My Prius is Barcelona red and you have to look closely to even see that it's there. Talk about pure profit for the dealer...It's supposed to "protect" the bumper? How is it going to look if this vinyl decal is scarred-up (supposedly to protect the bumper)?
    Just as bad, if you ask me. To me, it's worth about $10 tops - installed.
  • bspencer2bspencer2 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for that front chrome grille middle slat that can go on a 2005 Prius. It looks like the 3rd picture on this site.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/sponsored-commercial-sales/47854-black-chrome-prius-- emblems-tail-lights-sidemarkers.html

Can anyone help?
    Do you still have your owner's manual? It's spelled out in there. On pp. 130-131 of the 2006 model's manual, it says:

Press the "Power" switch to the "OFF" mode with the odometer reading shown.

Press the "Power" switch twice to select "IG-ON" mode while holding down the trip meter reset button.

Hold down the button for at least 5 seconds. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.
    I wouldn't sweat it now that you bought the car. My son had it on his 2006 model, for the same price.

I realize it probably cost about a dollar or so to manufacture, but it does protect the bumper's paint from minor scratches when loading or unloading cargo from the hatch if you don't lift the item high enough. Then you can eventually replace the vinyl when it gets too scuffed up.

The larger issue is why do most cars nowadays have painted bumper covers that are subject to scuffing or worse from the lightest of impacts? Dumb.

In fact, in NYC, you see a lot of cars with what look like home door mats hanging out from the trunk or hatch to "protect" the fragile rear bumper paint. This is absurd; at least the chrome-plated steel bumpers of old could take some minor hits without showing any damage.
    I called the dealership and he reiterated what you said. There it was in the oil change section. Funny, I never noticed that before. Thanks, 210delray. :)
  • jframmagejframmage Member Posts: 2
    Bruce,
    I just brought my 2002 Prius to Oahu from the mainland. There is no Hawaii map in the nav system. It's got the other states and parts of Canada, but not Hawaii.
    -Jon
  • jframmagejframmage Member Posts: 2
    I e-mailed Toyota about this issue and got the following response:

Currently the navigation system installed on Toyota vehicles includes coverage only for the 48 contiguous United States as well as major metro areas in Canada. Coverage is not available for Alaska or Hawaii. This decision was made for Hawaii because Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. is not the distributor for Toyota vehicles in Hawaii. Before Hawaii became a state, Toyota Motor Corporation in Japan contracted with Servco Pacific, Inc., to sell and service Toyota vehicles in the Territory of Hawaii. This is still the case today.

For additional assistance or referrals on possible resolutions we would need to refer you to Servco.

We apologize this was not made known to you during the purchase of your vehicle.

It is through communications such as yours that we become aware of the reactions and expectations of our customers and have documented your suggestion that such mapping information be made available for the state of Hawaii.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #111111111111. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.
  • lgomez1013lgomez1013 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get a good hitch for your Prius?

What is max weighyou can pull?

Have you had trouble launching your boat from the ramp?

i plan to get a jetski with trailer which i guess will weight about 1200 lbs.

my email lgomez0829@bellsouth.net

Thank You

Louie
  • coontie66coontie66 Member Posts: 110
    WATCH out... Some day it will be raining when you come home with the little boat and you are gonna have a problem stopping the trailer. I had a friend with a Tacoma try to stop a 18 ft boat and he slid the whole thing through the red light.

But heck that's the price you have to pay when you have a little bitty car.
  • lgomez1013lgomez1013 Member Posts: 2
    i would like to buy and tow a jetski and trailer which will weight about 1200 lbs.

Does anyone have first hand experience towing and putting on the water (using a boat ramp) a jetski?

I would appreciate hearing from people who have actually done it or attempted to do it.
  • timtamemanmartimtamemanmar Member Posts: 6
    Hello

I just bought a 2008 prius and I have the same problem, after about a week white spots/smudges appared right in front of the steering wheel. The dealer tried the same things to correct to no avail, did you ever receive an answer or find a way to correct this problem. Please let me know thank You
    Just want to ask did you ever find a web site or a store to get these items to put on the floor for as you stated kleenx and such. Any answer would be appricated thanks
    Saw your request and wanted to ask did you find a solution to the front end Ie bumper and hood protection, I asked toyota dealer where I bought prius and they have a plastic to put on that stick to it for protection from bugs,stones ect but they want $900.00 to do bumper and hood. Any advice or knowledge would be appriciated.

thanks
    Just wanted to know did you ever find a remote started to work on prius.

thanks
  • hkeatinghkeating Member Posts: 1
    I want to set up to tow a max 1000 LB loaded trailer with my Prius. Is there a specific hitch that you found that will accomodate this?
    Have you been towing your boat? How is it working out?
    Thanks Hank
  • hawaiicarguyhawaiicarguy Member Posts: 4
    I was aware that the nav system didn't work in Hawaii, but am glad I have it because I may eventually move the car to the mainland. It is too bad because I did enjoy and use this feature when I drove it on the mainland. Also, the nav system takes us a lot of buttons on the dash, so it's a shame it doesn't work in Hawaii.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I heard Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak (who drives a Prius, btw) on the radio today talking about how a small number of cities have been approved (by whom I'm not sure) for a pilot program to do plug-in conversions of the Prius. He explained that Minneapolis was initially not on that list, but he talked to the powers-that-be and noted that the other cites on the list don't have a mayor who drives a Prius. :) Anyway, he was successful in getting Minneapolis added to the list, so in the near future Prius owners will be able to get the plug-in conversion done through Denny Hecker Toyota. Rybak claimed the plug-in mod (which has been done on his Prius) gets it to 70 mpg. He didn't say, but given where he lives and his job, I'd expect most of his driving is on city streets and urban freeways.
  • bnjnpvbnjnpv Member Posts: 1
    jut remember to make very small corrections when backing with a short wheelbase. 1/4 turns of the steering wheel rather than lock to lock. there's no substitute for practice.....during the week at the dock or in the nearest parking lot at night....when launching your ski, remember the plug!!!!!! i've only launched mine and a coupleof times a friend of mine's. his has reverse (looks like yours may too) mine doesn't....both skis can be floated off with the fenders of the trailer barely submerged. when trailering your ski, it seems best to be a few inches further out of the water (half way up the trailer wheel or so) so you have to goose the ski a little to get up to the bumper....seems to help the ski load itself square.
  • math69math69 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Prius level 3. The FOB that I have been using for more than two years has been through the wash at least once. Now the button that opens the door locks is stuck in the down position. This prevents me from either locking or unlocking the car using the FOB. I've removed the ring and manual key, slid the top off of the FOB, unscrewed the battery cover, and removed the battery (a Panasonic CR2032 3v by the way), but still I cannot access the button from the back. How can I open the FOB so I can access the buttons from the back?
  • angel723angel723 Member Posts: 7
    I just got my 2008 Prius and I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. Does anyone know if I would have the doors automatically lock by itself when the car starts to accelarates? Thanks in advance!
    My son has a 2006 model and there is no autolock feature. My guess is that this hasn't changed for 2008.
    You can also go to walmart and buy a backup alarm for under $10.00 that you stick to the area of your back up light and every time you put car in reverse it beeps
    Actually, yes you can set your Prius (or 'his' Prius) to an auto lock setting. Way in the back of the owner's manual under, "customization" it tells how to change the settings. And there are other things that one can change, as well. Neat, huh?
    Thanks, I have an extra manual and will have to check it out!
  • sthogesthoge Member Posts: 28
    I thought the door locking changes that are listed in the back of the manual control just how the unlock funtions for the smart key work. I don't recall seeing anything about auto locking.
    In my 2008 model owner's manual, on that same page I believe you're referring to, either the 3rd or 4th "box" up from the bottom, there is a description of "speed-controlled" door locks. Unless I've misunderstood it, it refers to door lock settings that would enable the system to lock itself at a certain speed. It shows the default setting as "off", suggesting that it can be reset to "on" by a technician. I have a feeling that "out there" there are guys that could tell us how to make these changes. You know how dealerships are. "Only your authorized Toyota dealer should vacuum your carpet mats". Well, maybe not that extreme!
    guess I'll have to take a look at my manual tonight. I don't remember seeing anything in that regard.
  • jljonathanjljonathan Member Posts: 1
    My am radio reception has gotten terrible and I would like to check the plus from the antenna. Where does the am antenna plug in?
    Thanks
    Jonathan
    Rick294,
    I looked in my 2008 owners manual and didn't see anything refering to speed-controlled door locks. What page number are you looking at? The only thing I found in the customizable section was to do with how the smart key works with unlocking doors. But, then again, I may be looking at a different part of the manual.

Steve
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    It's there, I looked under Customization in the index, the dealer needs to set this option, but as someone said, I bet there is someone out there who knows how to do this w/o going to the dealer. I beleive it was on page 488.. but it's very near the back of trhe book.

sc
    I wonder if they've changed the manual. I've got mine in front of me and the customizable features start on page 488 and go to page 490 and there are no options that says anything about auto locking using speed controls.
    options are:
    Smart Key,
    Smart Key system
    Operation Signal (Emergency flashers)
    Operation Signal(Buzzer)
    Wireless remote control
    Unlocking operation
    Time elapsed before automatic door lock function is activated if door is not
    opened after being unlocked
    Operation Indicator(Emergency flashers)
    Operation indicator(buzzer)
    Panic Function
    Buzzer sounds when pushing (lock) with any door not closed
    Door Lock
    Unlocking with a key
    Automatic Light control system
    Light sensor sensitivity
    Time elapsed before headlights automatically turn off after doors are closed
    Daytime running light
    Illumination.
    Time elapsed before lights turn off
    Operation when the doors are unlocked
    Operation after the "POWER" switch turned off
    Fron/rear personal lights turned on when a door is opened

That's it.
    Page 489 of 2008 manual: "Speed detecting automatic door lock function". The default setting is "off" and can be set to "on".
    I guess our manuals are different then, as what I wrote above is the exact wording that my manual has on pages 488 through 490, nothing about the "Speed detecting automatic door lock function"

I wonder which one is correct.
    Well - mine is the 2008 book. What year do you have? If the same year, could be there was a running change or something. :confuse:
    It's also a 2008 Owner's Manual for the Prius. On the back is publication number OM47613U Part No. 01999-47613, Printed in Japan 01-0803-01

Is yours the touring model? Mine is standard package 2
    Mine is also Standard Package #2. Base model, not touring.
  • angel723angel723 Member Posts: 7
    I have taken it to the dealer already, and one of them said it didn't have the particular feature. I was hoping someone out there might know a way around it. There was one guy at the dealer that say they could set it, I'll have to try him next when I go in for my 5k service.

I had look through the manuel and I didn't see page 489 regarding the door lock at speeds.

Thanks for all the help ppl!
  • logozeleclogozelec Member Posts: 1
    I saw a fix for that on one of the Prius parts websites. It looked like a simple plug-in and cost under $90. According to the blurb it locks the doors at 15 MPH. Not too bad of an expense if you have small children.
  • whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    100lbs is a lot of added weight just for the joy of hauling a bike.
This discussion has been closed.