Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Yes a different issue and one that needs to be monitored in order to get a good idea of the cost's involved. It's high tech and parts like the MFD unit are expensivie to repair if they go. But so is any Navi unit on any vehicle. From what I've seen on the Internet it's the hightech features that may break down before anything to do with the powertrain or hybrid system.

They still cost big bucks to fix even if not specific to just the Prius.

I'm planning on 200K+ miles but I might invest in the Ext Warranty up to 100K to cover the computers and electronics primarily.
  • mtuftsmtufts Member Posts: 12
    OK--OK--I get it. I plan to run the car as long as it runs. My present vehicle is on "borrowed time" because I had a senior citizen who decided that she didn't need to pay attention to red lights any more and she cut right in front of my line of traffic--and my present car was totaled. Even then, I loved the vehicle so much I had it put back together again (like Humpty Dumpty) and I've been lovingly driving it [currently to 150,000 miles]. I'm "retiring" it because it needs a Depends diaper for the oil and coolant fluids it is starting to pee out all over the parking lot (at times). It looks like the "Velveteen Rabbit" and I continue to get it detailed, etc. to the max to preserve its good looks. I would advocate a Buick Skylark if you can still get them. I want the Prius for the gas mpg. I'm also a GEEK--and I love the technology. If this 2006 Prius lasts to 200,000 then so be it--we're in for a good long run. If I can make it last longer--well, hang on--here we go. :shades:
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    It sounds like the Prius is the car for you. Good luck and keep us informed when you get your wheels!
  • 75andcountung75andcountung Member Posts: 11
    CAN YOU GET EXTENDED WARRANTY BEYOND 100K? I HAVE THE 7 YEAR 100K FROM THE DEALER AND DONT EXPECT TO KEEP THE CAR BEYOND.
  • jude4jude4 Member Posts: 1
    My prius(2005) was parked on an incline, the parking brake was not engaged. When I unlocked and tried to start the car, all the lights on the dash came on (except the ready light), then they began flashing. I could not put the car into a gear.....all gears were flashing with a square. I tried to start a few times and the same thing happened.
    I called AAA, they came out, said they had seen one other case like this when a prius was parked at a tilt. They gave me a jump as I had exhausted the battery, and that seemed to fix the problem like a reboot, and my screen came up with the message "park on flat ground and engage the parking brake". Humm....has anyone else heard of this problem? I called my toyota service and they had no idea.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Makes them worthless in San Francisco then. :lemon:
  • devsiennadevsienna Member Posts: 70
    How steep of an incline? All I can think is that the incline was so steep, and because you didn't have the parking brake set, it someone mucked up something in the transmission parking pin mechanism. Yes, the Prius does have a traditional parking pin that is engaged when you put it into park. This what prevents it from rolling forward/backward when parked on a tilt and you've forgotten to set the parking brake and/or curbed your wheels. Always, always, always, remember to set the parking brake and curb your wheels when you park on an incline, no matter what kind of car you drive...

Did you park on flat ground and engage the parking brake like the screen told you?
  • seekoseeko Member Posts: 33
    i have a question in reguards to ; i've heard rumor that toyota has allowed on the drivers seat rails that there is holes that have already been drilled by toyota for taller people to adjust the seat so it will go back a few more inches. does any one know this for sure? :confuse: please add comment if anyone knows. thank you pete
  • simonmansimonman Member Posts: 1
    Ask for video of battery system,thanks.
  • tahoekathytahoekathy Member Posts: 1
    I just took deliver of my new 2006 Prius yesterday. Can you tell me how to turn off the reverse buzzer?

You don't happen to know how to make the driver side seat go back more as well, do you?

Thanks,
    Kathy
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Congratulations on your new car Kathy! Be sure to celebrate in the New Prius Owners - Give Us Your Report discussion!
  • utleysfutleysf Member Posts: 2
    It was good to know that someone else had the very same problem. I live in San Francisco and I parked on a steep incline and turned the wheels to the curb and the car rolled into the curb, i did not set the brake. when i returned it would appear to come alive but the ready light would not come on. Called Toyota they hauled it away, had it a week and said it probably was bad gas (I don't think so!) They did say it failed twice, while they had it, to come to ready......so i drive with my fingers crossed. Other than that I love it....
  • espinaldoespinaldo Member Posts: 24
    I cannot find any info on the recently announced recall of Toyota vehicles over a potential engine problem...all I heard was that there is a defective part that may eventually cause an oil leak. My Prius is a 2002 manufactured in 2001 so it may be included in this recall--I assume that eventually there will be a VIN range posted.

I am looking for help finding a link to a reliable website that posts information on recalls. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Yeah, but the right advice is to exercise a little patience - this was only announced, what, 3 days ago? If your car is involved, Toyota will be getting to you soon enough, though the number of cars involved in the US was awfully small. For now, either you have an oil consumption problem or you don't - if you don't, I wouldn't worry about it until and unless you hear from Toyota USA.
    Waeelll, let's divulge that I live in WEST Texas--where it is usually 102 degrees this time of year at around 11:00 p.m. and there are miles and miles of miles and miles. We are prior military also--so we're used to car trips and a LOT of traveling. We started out here by seeing two (count 'em--2) Prius vehicles--and when we recently took a trip "back East" to the New England states, we saw a TON of them!! Now that we've returned "home" we're seeing a few more. Since we're "in town" we plan on doing a LOT of 45mph traveling and leaving the "long hauls" for a rental vehicle...or perhaps not! We just received word that our little Prius would be shipped out and arrive on August 1st and that we could go the four hour trip to pick it up. Because the LOCAL dealership doesn't sell many Prius vehicles, they can't get one in within a YEAR--and we've had this one on order for about six weeks near Austin, TX. We're about to become the proud owners of a bouncing baby 06 Prius--and we're excited. :shades:
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Because the LOCAL dealership doesn't sell many Prius vehicles

Doesn't that worry you a bit on maintenance? He probably does not have a certified hybrid technician on staff. have fun with your new toy.
  • tonyfotonyfo Member Posts: 2
    6 times in the last 2 years I have had the same problem with my 2001 Prius. After a short drive of 1 or 2 miles, I turn the engine off. A little while later, when I try to start the car, an exclamation point inside a triangle, and also the check engine light appears on the display. The car will only run on the hybrid battery, so I can only go about one mile at a very slow speed, then I have to park the car, as the battery is virtually dead. After a 2 or 3 hour rest, the car is perfectly fine and runs as it should. The dealership and auto repair shops can find nothing wrong. By the time I get the car to the dealer, it is back to normal. I thought it might be overheating, but that's not it. Any ideas, anyone?
  • scrimpyscrimpy Member Posts: 2
    I don't have any ideas, but I am about to trade in my 2001 because of similar mysterious problems. I cannot pin point any specific conditions that trigger my "triangle troubles" but it happens about every 3-4 weeks. The car has 47,000 miles on it. The local dealership can never quite figure out what the computer trouble codes indicate, so they just pick a part that is under warranty and replace it. A few weeks later, and its the same thing again.

The final straw was this week. The fuel light was flashing, but based on past experience, I knew I still had about 2 gallons of gas. The car stalled about 5 minutes later and I waited almost 3 hours for AAA to get a tow truck to me. The dealer told me today that the pressure in the gas tank was insufficient, causing the car to "believe" it was out of gas. All of a sudden they can make a diagnosis without guessing? I've had it. Trading it off tomorrow.
    Welcome to both yourself and tonyfo,

The Prius Classic is kind of left out of this discussion. Anytime I bring up a problem those that are in favor of hybrids, come back with, that is the "Classic Prius". They seem to feel you don't need to keep a car more than 5 or 6 years. Or you should not expect the first Hybrids to be problem free. I personally think it is a case of too much complexity. Most on this board disagree with me.

Because it is a hybrid there is still that aura of mystique. You should be able to sell it for a decent price to a private party. A dealer will offer below BB as they know the truth.

Bottom line is I would sell it while the market is hot and the car still has warranty on the battery. It will make it easier to sell. Did yours come with the 8 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty? Some of the very early ones were given that warranty. If so I would keep giving it back and invoke your local lemon law. It could die at a most inopportune time and leave you stranded.

PS
    I would not let the gas tank get below 1/4 tank. That flaky system Toyota uses will give false readings to the control system and shut the car off. You are an early adopter and are paying the price to be the first.
  • mr5cmr5c Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get your 2006 Prius? If so, did you purchase and extended warranty? I am in the same stage of the purchase process that you were in in June. How much does one pay for extended warranties?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The stealer, er, dealer, will want $1200 or so. You can buy from a Toyota dealer on the net for between $800 - $950. Search. The extended warranty is treated as a big money maker by most dealers. They try to pressure you into buying it at the last minute of the paper signing process. Don't give in. You have three years to buy it (must be purchased before your factory warrenty expires).
    CANT SAY I HAVE AN ANSWER FOR YOU BUT HAVE HAD AN INTERESTING OCCURANCE. I LEFT MY2006 (2000 MILES) IN THE GARAGE FOR FIVE DAYS WITH THE DOOR AJAR. THING WENT COMPLETLY DEAD AND I SPENT AN HOUR IN THE HATCH BACK TRYING TO GET IT OPEN. DIDN'T SUCCEDE. HAD IT TOWED. DEALER SAID I SHOULD DRIVE IT MORE. MANUAL IS JIBBERISH. I NOW KNOW HOW TO DO IT BUT I BET YOU CANT FIGURE IT OUT.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i'll guess. attach some form of battery to the accessory outlet?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Was in a Toyota showroom couple of days ago. A just sold Prius was sitting there in the showroom, hood open, charger connected to the fuse box. Glad it wasn't my car!
  • gina2748gina2748 Member Posts: 2
    I am going away for five days. My car only has 200 miles on it. I am concern about it not starting. What can I do to make sure it will be ready when I return. There is no one I can ask to start it up for me while I am gone.
    Our Prius is in and we will pick it up on Tuesday. Getting a loan was an easy sale because of the fact that it is a hybrid and gas prices will only go UP in the future. It is Red with a #2 package. Yes--we bought barely street-legal tinting and the 7-year extended warranty package as well. This seems to be a wise thing to do based on what I've heard in this group. Any OTHER suggestions? :shades:
    Man, I am REALLY getting a serious case of new car envy. It must almost be time to buy again ;)

In any event, once you pick up your new baby, be sure to stop into the New Prius Owners - Give Us Your Report discussion and tell us all about your first impressions and experiences!
  • library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    Its most likely caused by not tightening your gas cap enough. Blame the EPA, not Toyota. Happened to us 3 times. :surprise:
  • elsonluielsonlui Member Posts: 4
    We just purchased a 2006 Prius which we LOVE. We have a Motorola V710 cell phone with bluetooth and cannot figure out how to install it. Our salesman directed us to the website www.toyotaletstalk.com but that was not helpful since our phone is not listed there. Does anyone have any suggestions? :confuse:
  • elsonluielsonlui Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone use "B" for going uphill? We find it climbs the hills better when in that gear, but according to this website it uses up a lot more gas that way and is not good for the car, and should only be used for descending steep hills. What is everyone's experience and opinion?image
  • shalwechatshalwechat Member Posts: 25
    Ohh please that is hardly unique to Toyota. VW has the same exact problem with their TDI line. Some dealerships sell alot and other sell a few, not any different than Toyota dealerships. VW admits to having a shortage of ASE certified diesel mechanics. Toyota is addressing the problem by asking that mechanics schools like Universal Technical Instute to include more intensive training of future mechanics in hybrid automotive technologies. The prius car is designed so a mechanic swaps out eletronic modules/conponents and not actually reparing modules.

Buy the Prius from the dealership that sells a few and have it service at the dealership that sells alot. the same is true with VW TDI.
    that is hardly unique to Toyota

I don't think you read what I was responding to. He lives 4 hours from the dealer. You ever pay to be towed 4 hours? I would not recommend any car that the dealer is that far away. Especially vehicles that have a KNOWN history of quitting at inopportune times. The Prius has a lot of documented cases of stalling. Even now we are getting people that have them quit for unknown reasons.
    The post with the question on Prius mileage has been moved to the Toyota Prius: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion.
  • seroqseroq Member Posts: 12
    I have an '06 Prius, 2/12/months old. It does something extraodinary: It turns on by itself; done this three times. Twice with key close by, once without key close by. Has anyone had this problem? Dropped car off at dealer today who says he's never heard of this happening.
    Seroq
    The positive terminal for the 12v battery is under the red cap in the fuse box. It's like any other vehicle if you leave a door open you will run down the small 12v battery. That's the reason that there is the small secret manual key in the fob. It opens the front door so that you can pop the hood and jump the 12v.

As you probably know now this has nothing to do with the main traction battery. It sounds like the salesperson who sold you the vehicle didn't give you a thorough delivery when you first got it.

The dealer is right you do have to drive it at least once a week or two weeks max in order to keep the batteries healthy. If you are going to be away for more than 2 weeks there is a special procedure for 'long term storage'.
    I just came back from St Maarten, leaving my '05 in the airport parking lot for 7 days. All you have to do for only a week's non-use is disable the SKS feature by using the button under the steering wheel on the bottom of the dash panel. It takes half a second.

The SKS is disabled but the fob still works as a keyless remote for opening the doors.
    The "I love it!" post from our brand new Prius owner has been moved to the New Prius Owners - Give Us Your Report discussion. That's the place to give us your first impressions of your new ride! :D
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM UNTIL I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE MANUAL; NOT JUST THE NAVIGATION MANUAL BUT THE CAR MANUAL. GOOD LUCK
    ACTUALLY THERE IS A LEVER CONCEALED IN A HOLE IN THE HATCH BACK AS DISCRIBED BUT POORLY SHOWN. THEN WITH THE HATCH BACK OPEN YOU CAN GET TO THE 12 V BATERRY AND PUT A CHARGER ON IT
    The correct jumping procedure is from the front in the fuse box where the positive terminal is located. It's a lot easier too.
  • scrimpyscrimpy Member Posts: 2
    Here is an update. Dealer wants to give me $2000 less than I paid 3 months ago, and trade me up to a newer car (not a Prius), so that I would be looking at another $3000 out of my pocket. Am going to sell it myself. I'll ask full retail, disclose all the visits it has had to the dealer and see what happens.

I do not have the 100k bumper to bumper warranty, but the batteries are supposed to be covered for 100k.

After my last problem you can bet I don't let the gas get too low.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Gary, what is meant by "the dealer will offer below BB as they know the truth" ????

What "truth" do they know?

I saw a 2002 "Classic Prius" with 40K miles on it at the dealer I bought my TCH. Asking price $19,995.00. That's basically the original MSRP.

Dealers offer below BB because they want to make every dollar they can on the resale.

Not for some supposed mysterious hidden TRUTH.
    I saw a 2002 "Classic Prius" with 40K miles on it at the dealer I bought my TCH. Asking price $19,995.00. That's basically the original MSRP.

I would bet that dealer did not pay trade-in BB for that car. Of course there is no way to know that. I would bet they can sell that car for $12k and still make money. Asking price is rarely the selling price and you know that only too well.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i believe edmund's pricing confirms your assertion they could still make money at $12K.
  • eth2oskieth2oski Member Posts: 4
    Ahhhh. A calm, reasoned, and excellent comment.

For the record, my friends have marveled that I've run three different Fords through over 250k miles - I replaced my '94 T-bird w/ a 2005 Prius. BTW: I LOVE IT!! There are good and bad in every make and lot - just some more and some less. What you likely hear here and elsewhere are largely the rare failures (less than three sigma = 3/1000) and the very emotional human responses to feeling screwed by statistics - and on the other hand, those very satisfied majority who are very pleased with their new Toys (pun intended). No one else takes time to read or write in these forums!

By the way - I blew up one of those Ford motors myself after failing to recogize a very appropriate tell-tale of low coolant/failing water pump (a cyclic hot and cold output from the heater). I don't recommend a high speed run when a car is telling you this!

Another motor was rebuilt after getting three opinions to do so. It however, had the same problem after being rebuilt - a broken fuel injection computer pouring continual fuel into three or four of eight cylinders. Now who's fault was that???? I still praise Fords reliability. Man-made stuf breaks. Sh&# happens. Move on!! Even with those repairs my costs/mile were fantastic with all of those vehicles.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A large national news magazine is looking for Toyota Prius owners that currently own an SUV too. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 23, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what SUV you own.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• eth2oskieth2oski Member Posts: 4
    You ought to read your owners manual. It describes this exactly - failure of the aux. battery!!
  • casey515casey515 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into purchasing the prius. My last concern is how well it handles in the snow/ice. I live in upstate NY. Any input?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Only problem I remember in the snow is if you get stuck you can't rock it out like a normal car. It shuts down requiring I believe a tow to the dealer to get going again. Can someone confirm this? :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.