Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• nobienobie Member Posts: 21
    Invoice prices and TMV are up on edmunds website
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I remember someone saying they asked a Hyundai dealership a few weeks ago when would the 2007 Elantras would be in and the dealership informed him it would be January (so don't bother waiting).
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    They're hitting Canadian dealerships as we speak. I've seen several posts on other forums by people who've seen and test driven them. Let's just say.... they are not the same as the current generation of Elantra.

I think they will sell well, but not for the same reasons as the current Elantra. The outgoing model has a very classy, distinctive style. You might or might not like it, but it stands out. The new Elantra will be totally anonymous on the road. Everyone who sees one in the flesh remarks how much it strikes them like some other car- a Jetta, a Sonata, a Corolla. Hyundai's been doing so well with rollouts lately- putting out some great stuff- but I can't say I would even consider the new Elantra until after its first update to adjust the exterior style.
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    ...will Hyundai come out with hatch version? How long till crash tests are out?

If crash tests are decent and there is a hatch version I'll buy Elantra. If not I'm buying 07 Sonata GLS!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That was me, based on a discussion I had with a sales rep who had just come out of an update on the new Elantra. I also recall when the Azera and 2007 Accent hatchback came out each dealership had one car for demos for a few weeks. It's possible that is what is happening now, at least in the U.S. It's also possible the pipeline of 2007 Elantras firmed up faster than was expected.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    The Elantra sedan should arrive in the showrooms for the US market sometimes this month (Oct. 06)

The Elantra hatch replacement is about a year away. If you need a car within the next six months, your best bet would be at a Sonata.
    That's possible, but I've found dealers often give far away dates to new models whether they now the real date or not, just as a way to encourage people to buy what they have today rather than wait for what's around the corner.
    When I ask a salesmen what's new about the next years model, they often say something like, "It will be about the same, buy it will cost more."
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    Seriously? I couldn't wait for the Elantra to be restyled. Like the Sentra, it's looked old and outdated for practically 5 years. The exterior may be a little more "anonymous" now, but the interior's so much nicer, I don't care.
    I agree, except in this case I made it clear to the sales rep that I was a current customer who had just come in for an oil change and was poking around the showfloor while my car was in the shop, and I would not be buying a car anytime soon. He was also clearly frustrated by the delay in getting the new Elantra, and was discussing that issue with another sales rep while I was there. So I suppose he could have just been a great actor and was hoping against hope that just because the 2007 Elantra was delayed a couple of months, that would cause me to buy a car that day, but I doubt it.
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Yeah, seriously. The fact that the outgoing generation is dated doesn't bother me too much; if I like a car's styling, it kind of fixes itself in my mind as timeless. I still love the styling of the old Dodge Dart I used to have, and I still think my wife's 03 Taurus looks sharp for a family sedan. Maybe once I see the new Elantra for myself I'll change my mind, but from what I've seen and read, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy the new generation Elantra.

I'm a hatchback guy anyway, so I need to wait for a hatch (or wagon) version to come out, and my current Elantra is barely broken in. So I'd probably wait for the update (probably for 2010 model year) anyway.

My current Elantra is my first Hyundai. Based on my experience, my opinion of Hyundai has gone up considerably. But I expect that when I replace my current ride, I'll start with a clean sheet of paper and try to get the best car for the money I will be spending. We'll see what's in Hyundai's lineup then.

I may be leaning toward a sport coupe next time around anyway.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    I know the feeling. I like the fact that the styling on my Elantra Hatch makes it look like a Saab, as opposed to just another 4-door sedan - for better or worse.

The interior doesn't bother me at all - I'm not even sure what "modern styling" means to a car; I had my last one for nearly 10 years before getting this one.

My next car is probably going to be a Miata, frankly. Because sometimes utility is overrated.
    Lately, "modern" interior means more hard plastic and fewer seat adjustments (which is true on the 2007 Elantra). But it also means generally more room, a more streamlined dash, and some additional features like aux inputs, curtain airbags, rear center armrests, lighted vanity mirrors, steering-wheel controls, and (eventually) XM radio. So I guess it's a tradeoff.

The additional interior features of the 2007 Elantra are more important to me than whether it looks "newer" than the inside of the old Elantra.
    Well, I've got plenty of room in my 2k5 version - but, then, I'm short. The airbags are nice, and an aux input on the radio would be killer, but that's about all I need. Rear center armrests aren't even an option on the hatch, so that's not a concern.

I'm just not a mainstream buyer. I've come to accept this.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    You seem to be forgetting about all of the extra cup holders.
    ;);););)
    Edmunds.com has invoice pricing now. If you select every possible option on the Limited, it tops out at $19,910.

Here's what they have to say about the 2007 Elantra:

Pros: Long list of standard features, comfortable interior with lots of storage, generous warranty.
    Cons: Engine lacks midrange pep, floaty highway ride with base suspension, hard to find equipped with ABS.
    Summary: With its low price, roomy cabin and above-average materials, the Elantra is still worth a try if you're looking for value in a small sedan or hatchback. Keep in mind, however, that newer competitors have moved ahead of it in performance and overall refinement.

Hmmm... ABS is standard, and there is only one suspension on the 2007 Elantra. And it's the newest car in its class save for the Sentra. Maybe Edmunds should update their comments on the Elantra to reflect the 2007 Elantra--not the 2006 model. :surprise:
    Sounds like they copied and pasted 2006 info.
    Not valid.
    The sedans are definitely at some dealers now, although in limited quantities. For example, my local dealer got two in the other day, a SE AT and GLS AT with Preferred Package, and told me these are all they will get for 6-8 weeks (that was after I told them I was in no hurry to buy). This is similar to what Hyundai did with the Azera and Accent late last year.

As for the hatch, this same dealer told me that the hatches would be available as early as this January. Take that for whatever you want, but that's what the sales rep said.

As for crash tests, the NHTSA tests should be available pretty soon because their web site says "to be rated" and it's a fairly popular car. The IIHS frontal test scores should be here soon also, since Hyundai can run those themselves and report the scores to the IIHS. The side and rear tests would need to be done by the IIHS so they could take awhile to show up.
  • zoomandyzoomzoomandyzoom Member Posts: 19
    I live in California, a low-emissions state. I checked edmunds.com and it looks like the SULEV engine, which I would presume to be the engine for vehicles sold in California, will only be available with an automatic transmission. Does anyone here or in the other low-emissions states like New York, Massachusetts, etc., have any info on this? I'd really prefer a manual.
  • prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    I saw a Sentra today while buying a used car at a Nissan dealer today. One of the salesman was complaining because the initial Sentras they had were $19K and he was really pissed about it. He told me they are going to be 'outpriced and out-gunned by the Koreans'.
    He also told me that ever single one of their Maximas they sold this year req'd the whole sub-frame to be removed due to a recall and a ton of Altima engines recalled. He IS NOT IMPRESSED WITH NISSAN and blames Renault.
    With the 2007 Elantra and Sentra the two newest cars in their class, that's a natural for a comparo discussion, isn't it? ;)

backy, "2007 Hyundai Elantra vs. 2007 Nissan Sentra" #1, 15 Oct 2006 6:09 pm
  • brunojoebrunojoe Member Posts: 22
    My dealer just called to say he some on the lot but no apr is being offered, the best he could do was 6.9 percent now that is just stupid. No matter how good the car is no one is going to pay that finance rate. Guess ill wait till the end of the month to see if the apr is changed with the rest of them
    It's a new design in very short supply. There's no reason for HMA to offer incentives... yet. Being the first one on your block to own a new model usually comes at a price.
    Heh. I'd love to get 6.9 apr. But, then, my credit is horrible.
    You are not forced to take their financing. If they offer no special subsidized rates, then you can do better through a credit union.
    Wow...the credit union kool-aid is working.

Not all credit unions will offer better financing than what you can get from a dealership. Not all credit unions will offer you financing at all.

Credit unions tend to be better than banks in this regard, but they are not always going to be better than what a dealership can get for you.

Not that I'm still bitter about that, or anything.
    Generally they are unless the the manufacturer has some special financing they are subsidizing at an artificially low rate. This is not happening with the new Elantra yet, so you pay "market rate" financing.
    The dealerships get their financing from banks and finance companies that have to make a profit, so they are not going to be less than you could find shopping around on your own unless the car company has paid down the rate as a sales incentive.
  • brunojoebrunojoe Member Posts: 22
    True, but my feeling is either they lower financing on th 2006 model which my dealer has 26 on the lot as of today or they will be stuck with them, i guess i need to wait until the frenzy with the 2007 dies down if i want a decent apr.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion has been reopened in accordance with this post: Sylvia, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3319, 12 Nov 2006 2:43 pm. :)
  • acura03gacura03g Member Posts: 76
    hi everyone, I just bought an 07 elantra SE auto 2 days ago. Got a good deal. I was originally looking at Corolla LE and Civic LX. Civic is too too much and Corolla is still 2003 design (due for redesign in 2008 model year). Elantra SE is cheaper than both and has more features and looks good, so in the end I got it instead.

A question for the current owners of hydundai: Can I change oil and air filters by myself? Will this void warranty? Also where can I find instruction for changing oil. I read the owner's manual, it doesn't have instruction for that.
    Congrats on the new Elantra! Can you give us some details on the good deal you got--maybe in the Elantra Prices Paid discussion?

You can certainly perform maintenance yourself or have any mechanic do it. Just keep receipts for parts, and be sure parts like oil and filters meet or exceed OEM specs (easiest way to do that for the filters is to get the parts from Hyundai). I'm surprised the owner's manual doesn't show how to change oil. The filter is probably a typical spin-on one (if it's like the filter on my Elantra, engine is about the same) and the oil plug is on the oil pan of course. One thing to watch out for is that there's a gasket on the oil plug. It's meant to be replaced with every oil change. You can buy a bunch of them at your dealer and maybe tape them to the oil filters so you remember to replace the gaskets. Also be sure you don't overtighten the oil plug. Maybe Hyundai changed it for 2007, but on earlier Elantras it was easy to strip the threads on the oil pan.
  • percussionistpercussionist Member Posts: 204
    I can't see why changing your own oil would void your warranty, but if you're concerned about it, ask your dealer about it. You may also ask them what they charge for it. Our local Hyundai dealer only charges $9.99 for the oil change service for the life of the car, which is completely worth it, in my opinion. (Just buying the filters and oil usually costs me about that much anyway).

Congrats on your new car!
    Some dealers (like the one closest to me) provide free oil changes for the life of the car, if you buy your car there (I didn't, but got 3 years of free maintenance coupons where I did buy it). Their regular price is under $25 for an oil/filter change, fluid top-offs, and inspections, and I think that is reasonable.
    I paid $16,400 OTD. This is from a dealer in northern NJ. I traded in my wife's 96 subaru legacy wagon (172000 miles, just failed emission inspection recently) for $500. So I paid $15,900 OTD. This car is for my wife.

The reason I want to change oil by myself is that I trust my own work more than other mechanics'. It's not so much about money. I've had some bad experience with other people doing oil changes on my car. So I've been changing oil and air filters on my 03 acura for 4 yrs by myself. I only go to dealers for other complicated jobs.
    Wow. All of my local dealers overcharge hideously for an oil change.

Free? Feh.
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    You can definitely do your own maintenance work. I have an 05 Elantra GT and also had an 01 Elantra GLS. Both cars I always did oil changes myself and also replaced the air filter. On 01 GLS I also replaced spark plugs (ie. tune-up). Only thing I had the dealer do on that car is auto trans oil change/flush and coolant flush. I am also planning to do tune-up on my GT in the next 5K miles. Coolant change I may do but trans service I will have dealer do.

I use Purolator L14459 oil filters which are near identical to Hyundai model. I have also used Hyundais oil filters.

Good luck.
    Have you talked to dealer or hyundai company about whether this affect warranty? Did you save the receipts for parts?
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    backy wrote: "Also be sure you don't overtighten the oil plug. Maybe Hyundai changed it for 2007, but on earlier Elantras it was easy to strip the threads on the oil pan."

It's always best to use a torque wrench; in the case of the previous generation Elantra it's 25 ft./lbs. I have a nice vernier one that's shorter than the normal length which is perfect for the oil plug on the Elantra.

Document your oil changes, as well as all other maintenance, save your receipts, and Hyundai will be fine with you performing "Self-Performed" maintenance. In fact, there's a schedule and log you can keep for this on the HyundaiUSA website. I know that you know this Backy, but I'm adding this for the new 2007 Elantra owner.
  • spmrebelspmrebel Member Posts: 130
    I haven't talked to them but I have never had any problems in the past with Hyundai or any other car manufacturer. But to be honest both my 01 GLS and 05 GT have been perfect cars from a reliability standpoint so no warranty work was ever required so far on either car. Only 05 GT has had 2 recalls for front air bags (one in which I had fixed and other I haven't yet taken in).

I save all receipts and keep a log of all maintenance I have done to each of my cars. In my maintenance log I keep the date, ODO reading, parts used (manufacturer, part number, etc.) and any quantities (such as qts of oil, etc.)

Good luck.
    A little update. My SE Auto has 160 miles now after 7 days of ownership. Mostly local with average speed of 25 mph (according to trip computer). Average gas mileage so far according to the trip computer is 28.5 mpg.

I did however test it on interstate for 8 miles yesterday. At 75 mph, the engine was 2500 rpm (2000 rpm at 60mph). The ride was a little bumpy and hard. But I did fill the tires to 34 psi a few days ago.

My favorite feature so far is the audio system, whose sound quality is better than that of my 2003 Acura 3.2CL. I love the AUX/MP3 input. I plug my 20gb MP3 player in and listen to 1500 songs at near CD quality sound. My Acura doesn't have this very useful feature (nor does 2007 Corolla).
  • jjx456jjx456 Member Posts: 41
    How is the engine noise and other noise at 80 mph with the automatic? Some tests have commented that the engine gets loud at high speed with the manual. Thanks
    I sure wish there were an inexpensive way to upgrade the stereo. I mean, yeah, I can go with any number of 3rd party options that may even be better quality, but factory stereos always seem to be to be better for security purposes (never mind that I've had my Honda factory radio pulled before).
    I only went to 80mph occasionally. Didn't sound too bad. But the ride was bumpy compared to my 03 acura CL. Under 60mph though, the ride was very smooth. The stock tire is Hankook Optimo H426. Don't know how good this tire is.
    What is the factory's recommended pressure for the tires? Putting more than the recommended pressure into tires can help a little on fuel economy, but also makes the ride more harsh. I've noticed that on my '04 Elantra GT if I pump the tires up to 35 psi (recommended is 30).
    recommended is 32 psi all 4 tires.
  • nodulenodule Member Posts: 118
    Backy,

Im the current owner of a 2005 ELantra GLS and im seriously
    considering trading it in for 2007 Elantra SE. Can you
    give me your detailed opinion of how the 2007 SE drives and
    handles.
    I did a quick test drive of just 2 miles and not on highway,
    so id like your thoughts. Ive been hearing that the 07 is
    more noiseer and harsher riding than the 04-06.
    I noticed something wierd. My SE has a removable 2-3 feet "pole" type antenna . But in the brochure I picked up from dealership, the pictures indicate an integrated type of antenna with no pole sticking out.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    If I may interject. May I ask why you are getting rid of a 2 year old car?

The reason I asked is that unless you made a rather large down payment or took out a shorter than normal term loan there won't be too much room between what you owe on it and what you will get in a trade in. And you might even owe more than its worth.

Of course you could have paid cash :shades:

Other than that its always a wise choice to keep your current car unless there is an over riding reason to get rid of it (no longer need the space or now to small or is falling apart).

But if you just want a new car and can easily afford it wallow in it. ;)

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

hey snake,

Yes, I did a 24 month loan, so if just niow paid in full.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Thats good, thats smart.

The reason I was asking is that so many people get 60 or even 72 month loans the trade in their car after a year or two and they have negative equity that gets rolled over to another car and the cycle repeats itself. They just seem to dig themselves deeper into debt every time they trade cars.

But thats not you so go for it. ;)

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Yes Snake!
    I was listening to a national car talk show on XM Radio on
    Saturday and they were saying that the most popular cars
    loans now are 72 months! Thats crazy. I will NEVER do anything
    longer that 36, sometimes 24 months.
This discussion has been closed.