Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    as long as something gets here it will be cool. There is a post in the rabbit forums that lead to a german comparo of the mazda 3, golf and kia ceed. If the elantra hatch/wagon looks anything like that, but with more hyundai styling, i will definitely check it out.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Automotive News reported today that the Elantra Wagon (i30) would be arriving in early 2008 in the US.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,826
    Do you mean literally a wagon, or the 5-door hatchback that was revealed in photos earlier in Town Hall? To me there isn't much difference, but I know some people distinguish between wagons and hatchbacks.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Here's a link with some info and a pic:

2008 Elantra Wagon ;)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The report was for the wagon.
    I was hoping the wagon would arrive, though I really would like to see the hatch and the wagon.
  • Based on those Elantra 5dr photos from the prior post, Saturn shouldn't bother bringing over the Astra. The Elantra has it beat, and I'm betting it'll be cheaper too.
    There's not a big difference between the two that I can see, other than the wagon is a few inches longer in back, with a larger (and more practical) window behind the C-pillar. Probably holds more cargo than the hatch also, so that's OK with me. But I am disappointed in the powertrain choices--looks like the same as on the sedan. No six-speed stick, or larger engine option such as the 2.4L I4 from the Sonata and Optima.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,850
    It looks something in between a hatch and a wagon and leaning far more towards a wagon. Well I can say that I am glad that Hyundai is bring back the wagon.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata.

• Yeah, sad to still see the same powertrain. But as long as that powertrain's still offered in the much heavier Tucson (acceleration must be *awful*, but I've never seen any actual numbers), I don't see much hope for getting any powertrains updated anytime soon. The Tucson especially is just begging for the 2.4L/5-speed auto. It'd be nice if this wagon came with the new 158hp 2.0L at the very least...how come we haven't seen those new 1.8/2.0's in any Hyundai products yet?
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    I think that Hyundai is being smart holding back on the new powertrain for a year or so. Let Dodge and Mitsu get any bugs out before Hyundai puts them into production. I would also like to see Hyundai go with the CVT and get rid of the 4-speed auto.
  • mirde98mirde98 Posts: 95
    Hey guys here is an interesting link on the new GEMA Global Engines co-developed by Daimler-Chrysler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi.

http://www.gemaengine.com
  • joe131joe131 Posts: 972
    A station wagon has a flat cargo floor that can be extended forward by folding the second row seats down and farther back by folding the tailgate down. A wagon does not have a one piece hatch door that opens from top mounted hinges. A station wagon has quarter panels that extend backwards from the rear wheel opening at least a distance equal to the diameter of the rear tire.
    The cars not meeting the requirements are either sedans or hatchbacks, NOT station wagons.
  • tmporttmport Posts: 19
    This is a question for anyone with an Elantra GLS: does it come with a trip odometer? I know you have to get the SE or Limited for the multi-function trip computer, but does the base GLS come with a regular old trip odometer?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,469
    I don't think you can get a car that does not have a trip odometer.
    Do you have anything official (a link to it might be nice) to back this up or is it just your opinion?

I don't know ANY wagons these days on which the tailgate folds down in order to extend the load floor. For example, the E Class wagon's back door has a one-piece hatch door. If the E Class wagon isn't a wagon, I don't know what is. And there are some hatchbacks, such as the '01-'06 Elantra hatch, that has long rear quarter panels--as long as on the sedan. But I sure wouldn't call it a wagon. I do agree that a wagon tends to have longer rear quarter panels than a hatchback, in general, because wagons tend to be built on (extended) sedan platforms, while hatches are usually on shorter platforms. Also I think another distinction is that wagons tend to have a squared-off back, although many hatches are kind of boxy too, and there are some wagons (like the E Class) that are pretty streamlined.

Here's what ol' Wikipedia says about (station) wagons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Station_wagon
    Wikipedia is just a collection of individuals' opinions. Did you know that?
    I think another distinction is that wagons tend to have a squared-off back,

I think the one way to tell the difference between a hatch and a wagon is the presence of a side window behind the back seat. Compare the Elantra Hatchback with the Elantra wagon for an example.

• mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Dimensions aside there still seems to resistance to marketing "hatchbacks" in the US. Hence, "sport wagon" and other terminology. I have one of the first 01 Elantra GT hatches---so rare it has ABS and Traction Control. I am waiting for the next generation to appear. For me, either configuration would be fine. I've come to the point where I really appreciate flexibility in cars, especially in putting large objects in the rear. No more sedans for me.
    The Elantra hatchback only offers a minor increase in what you can fit into it over the sedan. I bet you that I can fit things in my '00 Elantra wagon that won't in your Hatchback.

If cargo space is what you want a wagon is much better any day than a hatch.

No, I didn't know that... because I don't think it is an accurate portrayal of Wikipedia.

What is the source of your definition of "wagon"? Or is it an opinion?
    yeah, anyone can post or change an article there.
    All they or anyone else have are opinions. Just because a person can point to an article that spews the same opinion does not make it any more true.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Except Hyundai's (Theta) engine is at Hyundai's own plants. Further, the building blocks and cylinder head are designed by Hyundai, and the automaker is receiving loyalties.
    Maybe you should post your opinion about "what is a wagon?" on Wikipedia then, to set everyone straight. ;)

If you are waiting for Hyundai or anyone else to offer a wagon with a drop-down tailgate, ala the Family Trucksters of yore, I think you are in for a long wait. I think there is one SUV out there that has a pull-out shelf of some kind, but I can't remember which one it is. SUVs have become the wagons of today--which is why there are so few wagons out there I think. Maybe people think, if I am going to get a car that looks like a big box, it might as well be a TALL box so I can hold more stuff.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    As far as I'm concerned,if it looks like a wagon,it is a wagon.Thats regardless whether the back door hinges on the top or the bottom.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,601
    That's just your OPINION.
    You may have missed my point entirely.
    Just because something is stated on Wickipedia does not mean it should be considered true or even persuasive.
    That can be said for ANY source of information and opinions... including Town Hall. But I don't understand the issue with citing an independent reference as part of this discussion of whether the upcoming Elantra 5-door is a "wagon" or not. At least, I think that is the discussion... Anyway, if you don't like Wikipedia for some reason, fine; feel free to ignore it or cite whatever references you want.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    I agree with you that a wagon will hold more. My Forester will definitely handle more types of packages than my Elantra GT. However, I think a hatch has it all over a sedan because you are not constricted by the back shelf being fixed or by a limited opening when the rear seats are down. The SUV with the slide out load floor may be the Dodge Nitro. That could be its only redeeming feature though.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    i've always thought that a hatchback or wagon was determined by how long it is.(cargo area that is)

Just for references: the rabbit is a hatch version of the jetta, the sportwagen is a wagon version of the jetta.

The only difference proportion wise is how long the cargo area is.
This discussion has been closed.
2007 Hyundai Elantra - Page 46 - Car Forums at Edmunds.com