Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• mitchimitchi Posts: 4
    I see, thanks..... well I will have to have a word with the dealer then :) He said he ordered the Elantra now and it will be a 06 model with interior redesign compared to the current one (05)
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    That sure looks like a Hyundized Mazda3 to me!!

Actually, it looks more like a Spectra5 clone (which is a Mazda3 wagon clone). And that wouldn't be too bad. Compare the Elantra spy photo side view

with a Kia Spec5 side view

Look especially at the front door, front fender and roof & hood lines.
    The pictures posted by player4 is Kia Pride. This car is smaller than Hyundai Elantra.

The car known as the Kia Pride worldwide (except for the U.S.) was sold in the U.S. in the 80s and 90s as the Ford Festiva. The car was refreshed and known as the Kia Avella (Ford Aspire in the States), and the later refresh was the Rio. The New Pride shown in the picture will also be sold under the Rio nameplate in the U.S. (and its twin will be the new Hyundai Accent).

The 06 Rio is supposed to start appearing in U.S. showrooms this month (August). Although I expect it to be too small and spartan for me, I want to give it a test drive anyway before settling on a slightly bigger car such as Elantra, Spec5 or Suzuki Reno.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    have you also considered the Suzuki Forenza(same car as the Daewoo Lacetti). Looks like one can be had for around $13,000 after incentives and/or rebates.

I would lean towards favorite Kia and their Spectra5, Spectra SX or Spectra LX, or a new version of my current ride, the Kia Sportage. I continue to be very impressed by my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4, and, after a brief flirt with wanting a Scion xA RS 1.0 or 2.0, I am now gonna just drive and enjoy my '01 Sportage 4x4 and probably replace it with another Kia, probably a new Sportage or Spectra SX or Spectra5. The Kia deals are just too hot and the Kia designs are too top-notch to pass up. Seriously-they do it best in my book. :D :) :D :)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

iluvmysephia1- The Suzuki Reno *is* the Forenza. I want a hatchback, and the Reno is simply the hatchback version of the Forenza (which comes in wagon and sedan versions).

Spec5, Elantra & Reno are all right in there for me right now. I'll probably cost them out against the Focus although I'm not a big Focus fan, and I also want to get a look at the 06 Kia Rio Cinco before I buy. I'll probably decide it's too small and spartan, but I still want to give it a look.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Here, you can get a Reno S for $9200 with the manual and $10k with the auto. They are the nations largest Suzuki dealer, but I don't know how they can sell it so far under invoice. A good friend just bought one, and it sure is tempting for a cheap commuter.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,695
    I think you may have just sold a Reno to someone we know! :)
  • The codename for the sport wagon version of the HD is "RC." It has been rumored for a while that the name may change to Talus, but that's yet to be determined.

Mike
  • Following the announcement of the redesigned 07 Kia Optima, we can now safely say that most of the spypics of the Elantra we've been seeing are NOT the elantra. i knew the vehicle looked too big! from the spypics they looked almost identical in size to the Sonata.
  • Yeah, here's the Optima thread. The new Optima and Sonata are very close in size, but the latter is actually a touch larger.

Mike
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    now, this goes back a ways, back to the days that we regulars here discussed the Daewoo corporation's fate ad naseum. I mean we diced it to shreds, right backy?

I am pretty sure that the current Suzuki Reno is actually the Daewoo Tacuma. It looks exactly like it. I wanted one for a while, and, to tell you the truth, I'm gonna take a harder look at the Suzuki Reno. Anyone remember the giveaway contest Daewoo America was having where the prize was a Daewoo Tacuma? All one had to do was name the car a name that Daewoo officials really liked. I tried, too! Thing is, we never found out who won because Daewoo was basically imploding into itself about that time. They are really better off with Suzuki's and Shanghai Motor's and GM's help, ya know? I'm talking about the Daewoo workers who weren't laid off in the implosion.

Some of us wanted to know just when the Daewoo Tacuma was going to be imported here-unfortunately, it was right when things really started looking bleak for Daewoo. Their leader had fled with cash and left them floundering in huge shiploads of debt.

You can look it up and research it, but that Reno is really the Daewoo Tacuma sportwagon/crossover hatch-what-cha-ma-call-it.

The new Suzuki Forenza is the Daewoo Lacetti design and the new Suzuki Verona is the Daewoo Leganza re-design, for added fun! :)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

I wasn't aware of the Tacuma thing, nor all the past history. But mechanically, the Reno and the Forenza are the same. Some different coachwork on the Reno is all. (I personally think the Reno would look much nicer with the Forenza front grill and fenders, but that's just me I guess.) Aside from that, I have read about the heritage of the current Suzukis (and the Chevy Aveo) with respect to past Daewoo models.

I have another few weeks (at least) before I buy, so I can change my mind at least two dozen more times. At this point, I can't really go any further until I start talking hard numbers I'm ready to commit to. I've driven all the cars I'm seriously considering twice... except for the Suzukis (Reno & Aerio). And that's the dealer's fault since they only had one Aerio SX and it's been sold, and they only have one Reno which is up on one of those big ramp thingies for display purposes. They have something like 50 Forenzas, 1 Reno, a few Veronas and about 20 SUVs. I'm not sure if they have all the Forenzas because they sell, or because they can't move them, but that's neither here nor there since I want a hatchback anyway. (If they came down enough on a Forenza wagon, I might consider it but it would probably have to be enough that they would lose money on the deal).

But I ramble.

I will probably end up with an Elantra, but not just becuase of the car. Backy's a good supporter of the cause. Plus the long bumper-to-bumper warranty coupled with the 100k drivetrain. Additionally, I've found two very active Elantra forums besides this place, a useful website with a lot of cheap & easy Elantra tips with a mail list, and Hyundai lets you view their tech data online for free. I am pretty well convinced that even if I have problems with a new Elantra, there is a big support network that will help out. So the Elantra looks good (at least until I take that second test drive in the Reno.....!)
  • Here are three additional photos of the possible RC:
    Front
    Side
    Rear

Mike
    Links don't work for me.
    They worked okay for me...
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    The links do not work.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    give me an error message... :confuse:
    They worked yesterday but are broken now. Strange. They appear to be from the same session as the earlier photos. Some different angles but with all the masking there is no new information really.
  • Sorry all, the images are no longer on the source website... I don't know why. :confuse:

doohickie's right: just different angles, really - nothing new.

Mike
  • So, when's the new Elantra coming out? Fall 2005 or spring 2006? Is the 'new' Elantra a 2006 or 2007 model?

It seems I've read both. (Even this list's name, 2007 Elantra, makes me think the later, but I thought I've read they're coming out fall 2005.)
    Go back a couple of pages:

mike_belknap, "2007 Hyundai Elantra" #176, 1 Aug 2005 8:06 pm

New Elantra will be a '07 model, due in the fall of '06.
  • Korean websites regularly refer to the next Elantra as the "ED", not HD. Having decided the RC Talus must have been cancelled, since the current Accent hatch is longer, European media think this hatch is the "ED" Kia Carens, despite other spy shots of a completely different "UN" Carens, which is a compact MPV like the Mazda5, or the replacement for the brand-new Kia Cerato. My guess is that the RC code mentioned in previous Hyundai press releases has been dropped in favor of ED. It's still not clear whether the sedan gets a different "HD" code, whether both are "ED", or if perhaps the hatch is still the "RC" Talus.
  • That's interesting: I too am hearing that the ED is a compact 5-door hatch from Kia destined for Europe (ED = European Design), but really very much unlike the Carens MPV. How confusing.... One good tidbit, though: whatever this is in the spy shots, it's supposedly 4400mm in length rather than the 4250mm that was previously reported - that's a little longer than the Tucson.
    Mike
  • codata99codata99 Posts: 123
    "Well, Hyundai has revised the earlier projection that the new Elantra (HD) will be available in early-to-mid 2006."

For the record, Hyundai's never said the new Elantra would be available in "early-to-mid 2006" :D
    "The codename for the sport wagon version of the HD is "RC." It has been rumored for a while that the name may change to Talus, but that's yet to be determined."

RC is the code for Hyundai's new WRC rally car.
    That's the Europe-only hatchback for Kia. It will be built exclusively at the new Kia plant in Slovakia.
  • Actually, they did: Link. It's an old and outdated projection, but they did say it. I'll try to find the better article.

Mike
  • I found this on a Korean website -- it shows when (by quarter) home-market Kias and Hyundais will debut:

I just thought it was an interesting tid-bit, as it lists the CM (next Santa Fe), UN (next Carens), BH (Equus-replacement; a RWD luxury sedan), and HD (next Elantra), among others.

If anyone knows Korean, it would be a great help if you could translate for us! :)

Mike
    "Actually, they did: Link. It's an old and outdated projection, but they did say it. I'll try to find the better article."

From Automotive News June 28, 2004

"Hyundai product rollout

Fall 2004: Tucson sport wagon launch

Spring 2005: Sonata redesign

Fall 2005: Accent, XG 350 redesigns

Spring 2006: Minivan launch, Santa Fe redesign

Fall 2006: Elantra launch

Summer 2007: Mid-sized SUV launch; pickup possible"
    http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=48829
  • Yeah, it's been back and forth for the last couple of years. That all seems fairly accurate -- except for maybe the large midsize SUV and pickup. I personally think it will be later. Here's my current projection:

August 2005 Ulsan production of 2006 Santa Fe (CM)

September 2005 2006 Accent (MC)

October 2005 2006 Santa Fe (non-NA market CM)

November 2005 2006 Azera (TG)

February 2006 2007 Entourage

March 2006 Montgomery production of 2007 Santa Fe (CM)

May 2006 2007 Santa Fe (NA-market CM)

October 2006 2007 Elantra-replacement (HD/ED?) / 2007 Accent Hybrid

March 2007 2008 Tiburon-replacement

April 2007 2008 Sonata coupe / 2008 Tucson TDI

October 2007 2008 RWD luxury sedan / 2008 Tiburon-replacement convertible

January 2008 2009 full-size SUV / 2009 pickup

What do you think? And do you know the internal codename for the Entourage?
    Mike
This discussion has been closed.