Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• madmax252madmax252 Member Posts: 12
    Novice1,

What else does that include: Heated seats? Xenons? Automatic or manual? You can compare with mine: automatic trans, sunroof, metallic paint, and heated seats for $30,000 before tax. It was about $500 over invoice for me. I purchased in late December 2004.

Also, that 0% financing is pretty good. How much is the interest rate after those 2 years? I'm doing 4.6% for 4 years on mine.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    $4000 sounds like a lot.. But, Saab puts big incentives on their cars..

Check with Car_man on this board, and he can let you know the incentives available on your model..

Car_man, "Rebates, Incentives, APRs - Questions & Comments" #2714, 28 Mar 2005 7:38 pm

It doesn't sound like you know a lot about this car.. I'd want to know the exact MSRP and options... Your description sounds a little vague.. This is a large purchase.. make sure of what you are buying.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• gryhndmom02gryhndmom02 Member Posts: 1
    I missed the March Madness deal by one day. Purchased my new Linear on 2/28, but still got it for $3500 under invoice. I got an automatic, fully loaded with metalic paint, and added front fogs, and paid $26,445. I got the GM incentive deal through my employer, plus some other rebate on top of it. In all, I think it was a pretty good deal.
  • richjanrichjan Member Posts: 2
    shmaltz - So...What was the final price and your monthly payments and term of lease?

Thanks
  • richjanrichjan Member Posts: 2
    So...Purchase price was? And, is this the 9.3 convertible?
  • haakonhaakon Member Posts: 24
    What kind of lease deals are people getting on a 9-3 Linear or Arc w. auto & sunroof? I'm considering leasing one or the other -- any help would be appreciated!
  • jlan1jlan1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Kirstie,

I have GM employee (GMS) authorization, and wanted to ask some questions about a deal I'm working on and add'l discounts/incentives. Can I post information about my employee price on these forums? (not the auth # of course!) Thanks
  • skinnydogskinnydog Member Posts: 20
    Check out the car leae forum. Do a search for Saab to see if the April Residual values and Money factors have been posted yet. Saab tends to have low (not good) residual values, but they have extremely low money factors on the 9-3s (Linear and Arc) at the present time and have total of 3K in dealer incentives and/or rebates. 4K off of MSRP should be easy on any leases for the 9-3.

On a lease you should first negotiate the purchase price. Without much problem you should be able to get $300 over invoice minus 3K as the purchase price ($2700 under invoice).
    What is the easiest way to find out the dealer invoice?
  • go8go8 Member Posts: 58
    You can look on either the edmunds or carpoint site. When I leased my 9-3 in March, the dealer started off by showing me his invoice. I am assuming it was his actual invoice. It was in line with what was shown on carpoint.

Good luck!

Go8
    First time Saab buyer (lessee). Looking at this deal and open for input before moving fwd. Thanks

9-3 Sport Sedan (Aero)
    Options
    Sentronic Automatic Transmission $1,350
    Navigation System $2,295
    Front Heated Seats $500
    Moonroof $0
    Total MSRP: $37,700
    Dealer Invoice: $35,800
    My GM Emp Price: $34,300
    Less rebates: $3,000 (hot button 1k, bonus cash 500, 1,500 lease assist)
    24 month lease: $450/month or Lump sum pmt $10,055.

I intend to take the lump sum deal. Please weigh in w/any comments. Thx
    A couple of things..

1) How many miles on that lease?

2) Why not go 3 years?

Looks like a good deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Oops. Good questions.
    1. Forgot miles: 12K. She'll be 'stay at home' soon--see below.
    2. A few primary reasons. a.) The 2 year and 3 year monthly prices were (very suprisingly) w/in a few dollars. b.) Baby on way in October, and (hopefully) another soon after that, so wanted to have flexibility to make a change. c.) Will align w/lease expiration of our other vehicle (bmw x5), so we can look @ the whole picture.
    Sounds good.. The monthly payment being close isn't that surprising, as the $3000 incentive is a bigger monthly incentive for the shorter lease.. (3000/24 vs. 3000/36).

That is a nice car for that amount.. only $420/mo average paying it upfront...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Good info re the effect of incentive on shorter lease. My first time dealing with incentives, having been a bmw customer for a number of yrs; 'incentive' not in their vocab. Thx again.
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Yes, jlan1, you are welcome to ask questions about your deal and available discounts, incentives, etc. The posts that were deleted were removed because they were from people who mentioned the name of the dealership where they worked. We do not allow such solicitation/promotion.
  • zhangtao9703zhangtao9703 Member Posts: 18
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how to calculate the monthly payment for lease Saab 9-3 linear if I know how much the total price for the car should be?

Is there a website that teaches how to do it?

Thanks a lot for helping newbie.
  • go8go8 Member Posts: 58
    Look on the Edmunds site. There is a page on leasing. You need to know the residual (quoted as a % of original msrp) and the money factor. You can get this info by asking car_man on the ask a lease question website.

Go8
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to speak with anyone who recently discussed a trade-in at a Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Saab, Hummer, or Cadillac dealership. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Tuesday, April 26, 2005 with your daytime contact info and any brief comments you care to share about your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi, jlan1

24 month lease: $450/month or Lump sum pmt $10,055

Do that include registration fees and tax? If so, I can't imagine that.

Thanks
    the only option I got is auto trans
    2 year lease for 12000miles/year
    invoice $27387
    bonus cash: $3000
    negotiated selling price=invoice minus bonus cash=$24387
    money factor: 0.00002
    residual: $16398.90

monthly payment $353.67(tax included)

I paid bank fee($695)+first month payment($353)+registration fee for 2 years ($176)+documentary fee($169) upfront

total payments $9535.58 (tax and registration, etc. everything included)

Please give any comments.
    That is a great deal on a two-year lease.. Congratulations...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks. kyfdx,

I seems that it is not easy to sell Saab now.
    Exactly... which is why you should lease, instead of buy..

Because it isn't easy for the owner to sell that car later, either...

Maybe that should be their latest advertising slogan:

Saab.. a great car to rent!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hi z,

Good question. Yes on includes tax. I think yes on registration, but am (triple) checking today.
  • vexatiousvexatious Member Posts: 3
    I just signed papers on a new (still at the Port) '05 Arc with manual transmission, heated seats, metallic paint and moonroof for 27,000 (buying, not leasing; not including tax and documentation fee). I can stil cancel the deal. Please let me know whether you think that this is a decent deal. The MSRP is 33,150, invoice is 30,811.

Let me say that I don't envy the job of salesmen. I had two salesmen who were directly competing for my business. I qualified my negotiations with each of them by telling them that I felt some sort of obligation to the other (which I did), and that no matter what they put on paper, I was going to give the other guy an opportunity to beat it. Price started at just over 30. After two afternoons of negotiation, I had the price down to 27,500. I continued going back and forth with each of them and ended up at 27K. I liked both guys (granted, it's their job to be likeable) and in the end, opted for the lower price and my estimation that one of the dealers was likely to provide a higher quality of service than the other. That 'winning' dealer also provided a 10 yr extended power train warranty and free annual detailing for the term of my ownership of the car.

In the end, I believed that I could have held out until Sunday (tomorrow, and the end of the April business month) for a price of $26,500 (my target price all along). Except that I believed that I had already eaten a substantial portion of the dealer's hold-back and started to feel uncomfortably greedy.

My reasoning on the price was (i) 3500 in factory incentives (taking the price down to 28,800), (ii) the car is 8 months old (I think that the '05s came out in August of '04) and hence the price should reflect partial 8 month depreciation (only partial 8 months because the car has not actually been driven during the last 8 months) which further reduced my target price to 26K even but (iii) the dealer needs to make something (i.e. the dealer cannot give up all of his hold-back and some of the depreciation is captured by some of the 3500 incentive; price back up to 26,500).

My worry is that I may be a sap and really should have held out. Further, that lots of people are buying '05 Arcs for substantially less. Please let me know.
    Your price looks good, but isn't your "8 months of partial depreciation" reflected in the $3500 of incentives?

They didn't have $3500 of incentive money when they came out last August..

Either way, that theory means nothing to the dealer.. His cost is his cost.. Any "perceived" depreciation is the buyer's problem..

Invoice - incentive - holdback - double secret probation money = dealer cost

Since you don't know how much the DSP money is, you'll just have to go by what you do know... You got a good deal.. ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• vexatiousvexatious Member Posts: 3
    That's a good point, re: incentives capturing partial depreciation, and the salesman made it. My response was that both salesmen had indicated a risk that at least 500 of the incentives would disappear by the end of the month (maybe, maybe not). If that's the case, I pointed out, then they can't argue that all of the incentives compensate for partial depreciation, for if that were so, then the incentives should only get bigger with each passing month. While that may actually prove to be the case, the salesman certainly doesn't want to make that argument.
  • hetchiehetchie Member Posts: 3
    Hi folks, I have been quoted the following on a 9-3 linear with auto, sunroof, heated seats, and metallic paint:

24-month balloon (in NY)
    15,000 miles/yr
    $3000 upfront (includes all costs, taxes)
    $259.90/month

Actually, I got a few quotes but this is the lowest. I would appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks.
  • haakonhaakon Member Posts: 24
    Is there a balloon pmt at the end of the 24 months? If so, how much?
    I think it is a good deal... Basically, a two-year lease for $385/mo. with all taxes, costs, etc. included..

Can you just turn the car in at the end of two years and walk away? If so, do you have any disposition fees? If you do, you'd have to factor those into the monthly payment to get a true cost..

This will turn into a bad deal, if you buy the car out at the end of two years..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lica13lica13 Member Posts: 7
    2005 9-3 Arc
    36 months 12,000 mileas a year
    Auto Transmission
    Heated Seats
    Moonroof
    Metalic Paint
    MSRP $34085

I was able to talk the dealer down to $429 a month with only $436 due at signing. Should I hold out or go for it? The sales manager actually said that I may be better off waiting till the end of the month. How's that for honesty? Anyway, let me know
    Does that include tax? If so, it is a very good deal... If he thinks he can do better at the end of the month, tell him he'll have to do better now, or you'll look at Acuras.... ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lica13lica13 Member Posts: 7
    kyfdx,

yes it was tax included. I don't think he can do any better now, he seemed like a really nice guy and I believe him. In fact, I went to Nissan today and got a kick [non-permissible content removed] deal on AWD Murano SL: Loaded with everything (leather, sun roof , xenon) and only navi and dvd missing for $420 a month for 36 months only fisrst month out of pocket all taxes included. It seems like alot more car for the buck. I did like the SAAB though :( it would have been a way cooler car
  • sickedssickeds Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have information on Saab leases for May? Can't find any May info on Saab's or GM's web sites yet. I'm interested in obtaining 24, 36 & 48 month lease pricing for:

2005 9-3 Linear Convertible (New)
    Black
    Parchment standard (cloth) interior
    Options: Automatic + Heated seats
    MSRP: $39,670
    Selling Price: $32,319 (before taxes, title fees, etc.)
    My location: Lake County, IL

Have never leased before, but last month Saab appeared to advertise some subsidized lease specials, so I definitely want to consider the option.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
  • mpklafmpklaf Member Posts: 4
    Hi
    I was quoted the following price:

2005 Saab 9-3 Arc/Parchment Silver metallic paint/Automatic/Sunroof:
    MSRP -> $33045.

Net Cash Deal - 26K + 2K (for tax and title fees) ===> 28K

There was hardly a negotiation. We test drove and the sales lady gave us this price. My wife and I wanted to do some comparison shopping before we buy it. What you think of this price?

Also if we want to lease this car, how do I calculate the payment?

Thanks
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    $7K off sticker sounds like a GREAT deal to me.
  • weedyweedy Member Posts: 7
    NY balloon loan

9-3 ARC
    Auto transmission
    Moonroof
    Heated seats
    Black (no metallic paint)
    12k miles per year

$402/month - 48 months
    no money down

I THINK that's a pretty good deal.
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    Considering a 9-3 Linear, probably automatic. What purchase incentives exist for May? I seem to remember seeing $3500 customer cash someplace, but is there also $1000 Hot Button cash for a total of $4500?

Whatever the incentives should I be able to get within a few hundred bucks of invoice minus incentives?

Also, I qualify for a GM supplier discount, don't know what this really means but the sales person I spoke with said it will reduce the price of the car before any incentives, and it takes care of the doc fee.

If I were to lease, are there any subvented lease deals with super low money factors? Thanks!
    If you are buying, the supplier price is approx. invoice + $75.. minus any incentives.. You can't do much better than that..

If you lease, the incentives are less, but the money factors are low... I'm not familiar with exactly what they are right now, but I always recommend leasing a Saab, instead of buying, because even with the big incentives, their re-sale value drops like a rock...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• buy_lowbuy_low Member Posts: 4
    kyfdx and others, thanks for a great board, here -- very helpful!

Just got an 9-3 Arc offer of my own to ask advice on:

Auto, driver, climate, moonroof for invoice of $34,604.
    Dealer incentives drive to lease selling price of $30,300
    Two lease options:

(a) 24 months
    $1500 @ initiation (first payment included)
    $406/month
    money factor of .00030
    residual: 59%

(b) 36 months
    $1500 @ initiation (first payment included)
    $390/month
    money factor of .00049
    residual: 49%

Car could be purchased for $29,800, by the way (better share of incentives available).

First, are these decent numbers on a Saab lease? Either (a) or (b) stand out, strictly on the numbers? How do these stack up vs. purchasing at the $29.8? Thanks!
    1) I can't check their lease numbers, because you didn't give the MSRP.. Residuals are figured on MSRP

2) Do the lease payments include sales tax? Even if they don't, they both look like good deals... great deals if they include tax.

3) Do you like to switch cars a lot, or are you looking to lock in a good lease price, once you find one? I kind of like that 24 month lease.. dirt cheap for that length of term... but, if you come out of the lease in just two years, you have to try to find another great deal, which is not so easy... So, in that case, maybe the 3 year lease would be the way to go... From a financial standpoint, no over-riding reason to go with either one.. they are both good...

4) For reference, the purchase payment on $29,800 at 4.9% for 60 months is $561/mo. (+ tax?)... Considering Saab's reputation for re-sale value, I'd definitely go with the lease....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mgz2400mgz2400 Member Posts: 8
    I was quoted the following price on a 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear w/ automatic transmission, no other options were included. Lease was for 3 yr. 36000 miles.

MSRP: 29,420
    Sales price: 28,473
    Residual: 47%
    Money Factor: .00054
    Lease Assistance: 3,500
    Money down: 1,502.29 (tax, lic. title)
    Monthly payment: 350.39

The dealer stated this price includes my GM supplier discount.
    If the acquisition fee is rolled into your cap cost, then I get almost the same number...

So, as long as your upfront money doesn't include anything strange, like document fees or dealer prep... If it all goes to payment, security deposit, taxes, and title, registration, license... Then it looks like a good deal..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Sorry for omissions. Sales tax is included in all numbers I quoted earlier. And MSRP here in New England for the Arc with driver pkg, heated seats, automatic, power sunroof and metallic paint is $36,240, plus regional advertising fees of $350 and prep/handling of $150, bringing list, total total, to $36,740.

Actually got a follow-up quote today on the 36 month variant where bank fees of $695 are deducted from the "$1500 at inception" package and loaded back into the lease payments bringing those up from $390 to revised $411/month (taxes included). And that money factor of .00049 (yes, that's THREE zeroes), equating to about a 1.18% rate, courtesy of Saab Finance, is actually correct.

I kinda like these numbers. :) Anyone disagree?
    It looks like the acquisition fee is not rolled into the cap cost. My upfront money adds up like this:

Payment 350.39
    Lic,doc.etc.. 203.20
    Acq. fee 895.00
    Acq. tax 53.70

Total 1502.29

With the acquisition fee + tax around 950 dollars, should I negotiate that amount from the deal to have it be a solid purchase.
    Since your upfront money has no tax ($53.70 is just the tax on the acq.fee), then I'd say that makes up the difference in the payment.... Without acq.fee or tax, I got a payment of about $330/mo... $20/mo. seems about right for sales tax..

$895 seems a little high for the acquisition fee, though.... I'm not familiar with Saab's base fee, but perhaps they are marking this up a couple hundred?

Other than that, good deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx -- You are correct, sir. Saab Finance acquisition fees were quoted to me at *$695* yesterday (dealing with fleet manager).

So, mgz2400, looks like you may have room to play hard-ball on getting that fee reduced.

Related question to the group: is even $695 etched in stone as an acquisition fee in these deals? Seems like, given it's a captive finance company (not some arms-length relationship with an outside bank), there should be a bit of wiggle room in that fee. True? Anyone seen it dropped substantially?

And kyfdx, did my added numbers from last night's post make sense to you? Any thoughts? Thanks!
    Those numbers all add up... It looks like a good deal, whichever term you go with...

The $695 goes directly to the bank.. Every lease has an acquisition fee.. They are never waived, unless the bank has some kind of special promotion.. The only thing the dealer can do is increase the fee for extra profit..

So, no wiggle room..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The Edmunds pricing system kicked out a price of 28187 minus 1000 for incentives for the exact model I plan on leasing. My dealer dropped a 1000 off MSRP, which was 29420, and 3500 worth of lease assistance. Adjusted Cap Cost = 24973. Do I have more room to negotiate off the sale price, which is now 28473 or should I just be happy w/ the price given. Acq. fee is part of the due @ signing payment and not part of the sale price. Does my GM supplier discount give me that 1000 of MSRP or do I have more room to negotiate? How much is the Supplier discount worth?
This discussion has been closed.