Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    New 08 9-3 convertible msrp 42k offered for 31k. It's a firesale -- I think they are dumping them.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    I don't know if it's a firesale by the dealers... It's just that GM has put massive incentives on the cars... Most dealers need the same margins as always, just to stay in business..

The local ads in Cincinnati have '09 $35K MSRP 9-3s going for $9K off MSRP..

That's a lot of car for $26K!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mrbuddyleemrbuddylee Member Posts: 24
    FYI, I checked into some of these 10k+ deals, and they're all service loaner cars with 2000-10000 miles on them being sold as "new". So, these aren't your brand new off the lot 2008 models. There were some that had fewer miles than others, but I didn't see any at my dealer that had less than 2k miles
    Well.. .in the latest ad, it's an '09, not an '08... They may be demos..

Since I'm not buying one, I'm not likely to check it out... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    If you check eBay, one South Carolina dealer has a white 9-3 2.0T listed for $22,999, which is pretty much a deal in my book.

At those prices, the 9-3 is competing with the Accord, Camry, and Altima...
  • deubanksdeubanks Member Posts: 1
    I paid $17,450 for '07 2.0t Anniversary with the CPO and 19,000 miles. I think I got a good deal.
  • netdudenetdude Member Posts: 4
    If anyone sees an ad or drops by a dealer with a new 2008 9-3 2.0T 6-speed manual Sportcombi, don't hesitate to post details! This is the standard transmission for all Saab 9-3s, but, this is a hard car to find! Everyone seems to prefer automatics these days :(. I am in the Los Angeles area, but, can go wherever the deal is. I saw one in Massachussetts that was almost perfect except it had the parchment interior :(. Why would Saab make a parchment interior for a car whose main purpose is utility?

The dark exteriors are really the only ones I'm interested in the order of preference:
    1. Titanium Gray Metallic
    2. Nocturne Blue
    3. Black

Thanks
  • beefabeefa Member Posts: 1
    I know what you mean about automatics, it was tough finding a "manly" manual out there. Finally found the one I wanted and these threads are right, you can get some good deals now with the GM kickbacks to the dealers. I picked up a brand spanking new 2008 Aero Convertible with a sticker price of over $49K (whatever) for $36K and I probably paid $3K more then their best deal but it was the car I wanted so I stopped the madness and settled at that price. White, tan top, Nav, 6 speed MANUAL, Sport Leather, Cold weather package, and 255 horses... :shades:
  • pas914pas914 Member Posts: 14
    I have been shopping around for months for my next Saab in anticipation of my lease ending (current 9-3 Aero that is not worth the buyout price); Some of the deals I've found ..

1) Brand new *0* miles 2008 9-3 Aero SS with c/w and touring package, 6SPD man, black, $27,000 out the door.

2) Brand new 2008 9-3 Turbo X SS (less than 50 miles) w/6SPD and c/w pkg $32,600

3) 2008 Turbo X SS with c/w and touring pkg, 11,000 miles, $27,500

4) And a brand new 2008 9-3 Aero convertible, $32,500

Personally, I think I am going with the used Turbo X. I'd rather have the new one, but $5000 is still a substantial amount of money to me. And with the 4yr/50k warranty period (and 10/100 powertrain + 3yr/36k free maint), I am hoping for the best.

Opinions welcomed - if anyone wants to know where I found the other deals I'll gladly share after I make my purchase (next few days).
  • alfaraceralfaracer Member Posts: 9
    pas914,

What part of the country are you in?

I agree with you for going with the used Turbo-X. I am in PA and shopping for a new or used Turbo-X. Am about to get some prices on new Xs to compare against the used ones that come available. I am with you on the 5K difference. If it were 2K, I'd just get the new one.

Good luck with your purchase. Let us know how it went and give us driving impressions after you get it. Thanks!
    alfaracer - I am in NJ, but most of the cars I found were a considerable distance away. I went ahead and bought the aforementioned Turbo X from a Landrover dealer in Virginia (it was a trade in) - ended up paying $25,995. I think I got a decent deal, but time will tell ..

While I was on the way down there to close the deal, I got a call back about another car I had been looking at - a black '08 9-3 Aero SS w/cw and touring pkg with 11,000 miles on it AND a CPO warranty - $18,800! If I hadnt rented a car and started the trip to Virginia, I probably would've taken it and saved the $7k+

As I side note, I read your post (on my blackberry) while driving home in my new (well, used - but new to me) Turbo X - it was reassuring to hear someone else shared my opinion about going for the Turbo X instead of the Aero! The Turbo X is awesome, but deep down I know the Aero made better financial sense.
    Good move! That car is a deal at 26K. We were in DC & VA on Thur. & Fri and I was going to look at what is now your X, but didn't get time.

Enjoy & good luck!
  • blp1blp1 Member Posts: 1
    Considering a 2006 9-3 Aero (steel gray) with 6 speed Manual transmission and 32,000 miles for $17,000. Only balance of 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty left. Looked at Vehix.com and other sites and thinh this is an ok deal but not spectactular. Tires are new and brakes are over half life. Car looks to be in spotless condition. Concerned with resale value if I have to sell in a few years. Any comments on whether this is a decent price or what expectations should be? Prices seem all over the place on here given Saab's current status.

Thanks in advance.
  • crs4_00crs4_00 Member Posts: 10
    I purchased a 2006 Arc Convertible with a 5sp and 22,000 miles in January with a CPO warranty until 2012 for $17,200. I won't expect any resale on a Saab in a few years.
    blp1 - I would say that the price is a bit high for that car. If you look around, you can find a 2007-2008 with lower miles for the same price. I came across more than a few 2007-2008 models with anywhere from 8,000 miles to 20,000 miles for $18-$20k. Some were CPO, some were not - but as you said, the balance of the 4yr/50k warranty still applies.

FWIW, I had been casually shopping around since Jan, and the prices have certainly dropped quite a bit in the last few months -- most likely due to the state of Saab/GM.

Best of luck in your search!
    In two years, it's probably an $8000 or $9000 car...

I'd want to see around $15K, if it were me...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rmy4rmy4 Member Posts: 1
    I was perusing this site earlier and it was useful to get an idea of prices - so thanks to everyone who posted.

I ended up getting a new 2008 9-3 Sporticombi with the 2.0t, automatic w/ cold weather package for $20.5K (original MSRP = $31.8K, for what that's worth). Wasn't considering a new car, but it was hard to pass up. So far, so good - just hope saab and gm will be in business long enough to honor the warranty...
  • ryanm4ryanm4 Member Posts: 7
    Just bought a used '08 2.0 Sportcombi w/
    Premium
    Cold Weather
    Sunroof

for $19k.

It had 14750 miles. The dealer originally had it listed for 24,900 on the sticker, the internet price was 22,900. (either way, I think he was way too high)
    I settled on 19k after then told me they absolutely couldn't go any lower (although it was pretty easy to get them to 19k)

Since I already bought it, please keep the 'you paid way too much' comments to a minimum. ;-)
    The only way you paid too much is if you tried to trade or sell in a few years. If you keep it looking great and well maintained and drive it 6-7 years it will still be worth 3-5k. Since you only paid 19k for it you only lost a maximum of about 15k. A little over 2k per year in depreciation. You are way ahead of the 30-40k buyers no matter what the brand. Almost everything drops to 5k after 7 years including mercedes,bmw,audi. don't go buy advertised prices-check sold prices.
    Those last two prices on '08s wagons are awesome.. I really, really like those..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• buckeyegirl2buckeyegirl2 Member Posts: 2
    We were looking at a 2007 9-3 tonight - $16,800.

24,500 miles, excellent condition, new tires, spoiler, sunroof, cold weather package, Blue Tooth, XM radio, heated seats, power seats driver & passenger,
    premium wheels.

Does this sound like a good price?
    Hey, buckeyegirl2...

Are you still in Ohio? If so, what part of the state?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• buckeyegirl2buckeyegirl2 Member Posts: 2
    Columbus, why?
    Just wondering... That's not a bad asking price.. You might have a little bargaining room.. There is an independent in Cincinnati that has two '07 sedans... both priced cheaper, but maybe less options..

The '06 and '07 models seem to be plentiful..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• wolf6010wolf6010 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 9-3 turbo X with 14 miles. The car was loaded with Nav, cold weather package, touring package and some really nice floor mats thrown in by the dealer. The car had a sticker of $47,500 and I paid $33,700 out the door. Price included all fees, etc.
    At first I was really worried and skeptical because the price was so low but after driving it and falling in love with it I am now pretty happy with the deal!!
  • boxerboyboxerboy Member Posts: 1
    Did Saab offer active rollover protection on a 2000 9-3 convertible?
    They're plentiful because a lot of them were leased and are now coming off of 2 and 3 yr leases. I wish I had the need for a new car- a used Saab would definitely show up on my short list.

In a year or two, the supply of used Saabs will dry up as GMAC canned leasing for Saab sometime in 2008. But, somehow there are plenty of "former GM company cars" being offered for sale at deep discounts.

If you can get a dealer to CPO one of those, then you have one heckuva deal.
  • esobelesobel Member Posts: 6
    I'm thinking about getting a new Turbo X. I've been researching the car for the last few weeks or so and I like it a lot.

I spoke with a salesperson on the phone who had an automatic X (MSRP $45,305) as well as an Aero XWD (MSRP $41,955). He first went down to $29995 on the Aero, but when I said I was interested in the Turbo X, he asked if he had to bring it down the same price as the Aero to get me to buy it. This conversation had only been a couple minutes long on the phone and he already seemed willing to drop $15k off the price, so with these kinds of deals it's looking like a steal.

I'm interested more in a manual, however. There's 1 about an hour away and a few more a couple hours away. Since manuals are cheaper I think I could get one as low as ~$28k if I play my cards right (there's one in the exact configuration I want that's advertised for $29,840 and I think I could go lower especially considering the price wolf6010 got on his fully loaded X).

Anyone have any thoughts on this kind of pricing? I know this car is overpriced at or around MSRP (not considering it's uniqueness), but at these prices I can't think of more bang for your buck.
  • wolf6010wolf6010 Member Posts: 2
    The Saab Turbo X was number 4 of the 5 car list that I compiled in order to buy a new car. After the test drive I was hooked, and the car looks awesome!! I thought the Salesman was nuts or the car was a lemon when without making an offer the salesman instantly cut 15K off the MSRP. I left, the owner of a Saab Turbo X with 14 miles and only paid $33,700 and that included all fees (No sales tax here in NH)
    The Dealership had one more to sell and when I drove thru their lot a week later it was still there and I was shocked. With a sticker of $43 K they wanted under 30K and no one bought it yet.
    If you're looking for a new '08 Aero, $26-$29k should be within range. If you're looking at a new Turbo X, I would be very surprised to see one at that same price. The sticker on the X is a lot higher, and the manuf incentives are much lower (so the dealership has to eat more $$ even though your price would be the same). I think $33-34k is a more reasonable expectation.

One suggestion I would make - don't limit yourself to "local" cars. If you know you like the car and you are buying a NEW Turbo X, you may as well look all over the country. You can usually arrange to have the car shipped for a few hundred bucks -- might even get the dealer to pick up all/part of that.
  • headsetguruheadsetguru Member Posts: 4
    advice please:
    interested in a 2007 9-3 Convertible Anniversay Edition, CPO, only 3250 miles,,,dealer sticker is $23,925 and will not budge on price, states that they recently lowered the lot price by $1000.00 and do not have any more room to go...is it a good deal at $23,925? hate paying sticker price but wife loves the car.
    Without knowing any more specifics about the car (Navigation? Touring or cold weather pkg?), I would say it's a pretty good deal if its a 4 cyl, and an awesome deal if it's an Aero ..

With only 3250 miles its practically brand new - if your wife really loves the car don't let a few $$ get in the way of an already good deal ..
    Sorry about that and thanks for the reply. The Anniversary package is a 4cyl, 17in wheels, spoiler, heated seats, power seats, cd changer/satellite, NO nav though...
    and you're right, at this point the only difference that they could possibly make is a few dollars...thanks for bringing a little clarity
    FYI - heated seats indicates that the car has the "cold weather package" (also comes with headlamp washers I believe). If the car also has homelink (garage door opener on rear view mirror), rear parking assist (backup sensor), rain sensing wipers, and memory settings on the power seat (for seat+mirror settings) then the car also has the "touring package".

Either way, for a conv w/cpo warranty I think $24k is pretty good. If it were me I'd walk into the dealership and offer $22,500 or $23000 with check in hand. If they say no, walk out and goto lunch (hopefully they'll stop you or call while at lunch) and then come back and pay their price after a good meal. In the end, you get a great car that you/the wife is happy with (and is covered under warranty), does $15-$20/month on the payment really matter???

Good luck with whatever you decide ..
    brand new convertibles are around for 32k.
    yes, they are having 8500 rebates or 0% on new ones.
    we pulled the trigger on the 07 Saab 9-3 2.0T Anniversary Edition for $23,500, CPO, 3250 miles. W :) e pick it up Thursday after some prep work on the paint...nothing serious. happy with our decision...thanks for your assistance.
  • theaktuarytheaktuary Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 08 93 areo combi with $26 OTD last week.
  • danasondanason Member Posts: 2
    I just paid 24.7 for a 2008 2.0 convertible, brand new, with manual, 17" alloy wheels; cold weather package; and upgraded sound system. MSRP was 42.5.
  • bedub247bedub247 Member Posts: 2
    That's a good price - I recently offered $20k plus my wife's 2003 Mercury Sable for a nicely equipped '08 Aero Sportcombi XWD. Salesman acted like I was $10k away; figured I was probably $4k low and he'd at least talk to me a bit. Nope, but he has my number and expect surely he'll call back.
  • danasondanason Member Posts: 2
    If you don't hear from him, I would suggest trying again without the trade-in, which may be a complicating factor. If you add to the 20K what you can get from a private sale of the Sable, you may have a better shot. Good luck.
  • sameemsameem Member Posts: 8
    I was offered 10K off a Turbo X Combi with an MSRP of $45K. Would 29-30K be plausible?
    A dealer outside Boston is advertising a Turbo X sedan, MSRP $46,100, $14K off, sale price $32,100.

$30,000 seems plausible.
  • murphy4murphy4 Member Posts: 92
    I think I saw that one. It was a manual with Cold, Touring and Navigation packages. That one is now $34,600 as "June Special". They used to have a manual with Cold and Touring advertised for $29,840 or something around there (MSRP $43,955) so depending on the options you can definitely get ~$30k or less.

Right now they have a 2008 Aero XWD (Auto, Cold, Touring, Metallic Paint) for $28,450. If you can't get a Turbo X, this is the next best thing (even though there are several things the X has that the Aero doesn't).
    Actually if you can find a 2009 Aero V6 it has the limited slip differential that was on the Turbo Xs but not on the 2008 Aeros... that would be a nice way around the Turbo X if you either a) wanted a color other than black or b) can't find a Turbo X

The 2.0T, however, still does not come w/ the limited slip in XWD form.
    Yes this is true. The only thing is that you aren't likely to find a 2009 Aero XWD for even close to the same price as an 08 or probably even a Turbo X. The rebate on the 2009 9-3s is $2500, while it's $6500-8500 on the 2008 models.

Other things that the Turbo X has that Aero/2.0T don't are better brakes+suspension, lower profile (10mm I believe), unique grill, rhomboid dual exhaust (vs. circular), lip spoiler, 18" unique wheels (vs. 16-17"), jet black metallic paint, and the eLSD (except on 2009 Aero XWD).

I should stop thinking about the Turbo X so much because I'll likely never get one. Don't think my girlfriend would like it if I spent all my money on a car instead of saving for a house. :surprise:
    I've actually seen a lot of "demo" 2009 Aero V6s for around the $30-$32K mark, which is not far off from the Turbo X especially considering that many of the '09s have less than 1,000 miles on them.

the price gap isn't as bad as you think between an '08 and an '09; if you're willing to buy a "demo" or one that's been registered already as a "GM company car" (there seem to be a lot of those floating around) then you can get a heckuva deal. Plus, with sales as bad as they are, you could probably get the dealer to discount another $1500 easily and throw in the CPO warranty...

I'm not a fan of Jet Black paint, so even though it works on the 9-3, if I bought I would rather go for the '09 Aero than the '08 Turbo X.
  • sg1sg1 Member Posts: 1
    was quoted today for a 07 sport combi anniversary edition w/ the bose sound, front fog lights, & cold weather pkg w/ 21,114K miles.

$20,995 w/o tax, title, etc.

what do you think? need a second or third opinion from the folks on this board.

thanks in advance.
    Is it CPO?

If so, offer $18,500, bump up to $19,500, then walk. You should be able to get under $20K easy w/ a CPO '07 Saab... They're being listed all over the place right now since so many are coming off lease.
    Are those XWD 2009s?

Do you or does anyone know if there are any differences between 2008 and 2009 models? I know they changed the trims around a bit, but as far as I can tell the options are the same. Are their any minor differences, like changes to the interior/dash? I read somewhere the Bluetooth is standard on 2009 models... anyone know if this is true?
This discussion has been closed.