Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    I live in Wilmington and took delivery from the LR dealer in Cary in the Raleigh/Durham area. My local dealer indicated a 4 month wait in November and after waiting three weeks I decided to contact the next nearest dealer about 2 hours from my home.

I emailed them and within 24 hours I had a deposit on a fully loaded HSE less bluetooth and took delivery two weeks after my first contact with them. It was a hassle free experience.

Check out this website for A plan info. If you are the family member you will need your sponsor to contact them to provide you access.
    https://www.myplan.ford.com/Home/homepage.asp
  • ypshanypshan Member Posts: 103
    For those owners who haven't experienced the stalling problem, do you think you don't have the problem to start with or you haven't driven the right slope to trigger it?

From a safety stand point, if the car has the problem, I'd rather experience it on a route that I am familiar with so I can focus only on dealing with it (instead of reading road signs and traffic patterns for example). I'd like to think through what to do and practice how to deal with it safely before taking on a long unfamiliar trip. It seems not to be as safe if I am hundreds of miles away from home and encounter the stalling in an environment that's foreign to me.
  • landy manlandy man Member Posts: 39
    As for stalling (the only issue my wife and I as well as my parents have had on our 2 LR-3s, knock on wood), I can only say the dealer (LR Parsippany) had LR factory service reps present with ours' who cleared the adaptive programs and returned them to delivery spec. We were told to "drive it harder", suggesting the cars that are driven most gently may experience the stalling due, perhaps, to a problem with the adaptive program. The other explanation (given to my parents) was that the transmission did not downshift appropriately when coming to a stop. I've witnessed two types of stalling - the kind where the car stalls after a long downhill descent and light braking and restarts immediately (ours' and my parents') and the other kind, where the vehicle just won't restart - as if it is out of fuel (like the demo performed after coming down the slope on the LR driving course at the dealer).
  • threeputtthreeputt Member Posts: 19
    Someone asked in an earlier post about the suspension periodically bleeding air. This was gleaned from the GTR site:

"Periodic Re-levelling
    When the vehicle is parked, the air suspension control module 'wakes up' two hours after
    the ignition was last switched off and then once every six hours. The vehicle height is
    checked and if the vehicle is not level within a pre-set tolerance, small downwards height
    adjustments may be made automatically."

We suspected as much, but now we know the numbers.

Jeff
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    Landyman,

I plain won't accept those explanations or workarounds as something I just have to live with. If I get this stalling behaviour, I will just work to invoke the lemon law and return the vehicle, if unable to repair per the lemon law.
  • freeflytimfreeflytim Member Posts: 20
    "My local dealer indicated a 4 month wait in November"

I don't know about the ‘A plan’ discounts but I do know that HSEs were widely available only until last month when all the reviews came out. Plenty of SEs on the lots but ZERO HSEs, at least in the Southeast. I know, I made plenty of phone calls and had plenty of dealers laugh, err, tell me at least two months for an HSE.

If you are looking for any discount using any method and only wanting an SE, Im sure you can get one considering dealers have every color on the lot. If you want an HSE, good luck!! Be happy to pay sticker and get it within two months, they are simply unavailable. Again. at least in the southeast.

A bunch of people tell stories about buying one of these trucks off the lot with discounts last November/December when they first came out, but then the reviews came out, and then everyone just like you & me drove their happy butt straight to the dealer to buy one... Thus choking the supply!! My loaded Silver/Black HSE7 is sitting at the dealer now becuase they somehow pulled off a dealer trade to get it. Took three weeks but was told two months. It even came from a dealer who told me they had NONE. Go figure. I would have had it today but I think it was my salesman's day off... DOH!
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    I've driven the vehicle on plenty of slopes, both on and off-road. Some quite frightening. ;) No stalls. Of course, maybe I just didn't hit that "magic stall angle" just yet. I hope not to.
  • xiaodongxiaodong Member Posts: 39
    We live in Westchester NY, a very hilly area. The ute has covered about 6000 miles so far with about half of mileage during a trip to south and about 3000 local miles on all kinds of slopes, long and short, very steep and less so, winding and less so, a few very cold days on these road, and stop signs in all possible configurations. To a point, my wife is very soft on all pedals and she drove all the local miles.

Should there exist a special combination of driver habit and such magic slope, it would have to be a flaw by design and this ute probably would have encountered it. No stalling so far, but my misgiving about stalling and suspension failure still persists. I really hoped that LR would spring into action and address these issues.
  • jessie2jessie2 Member Posts: 2
    My LR3 stalled several times. After several tries to fix it (still stalled), I managed to get another LR3 to stall.

Dealer states that there is a fix coming shortly.
  • gothopegothope Member Posts: 5
    After several weeks of wait, we finally got a call from our dealer that our adriatic blue/black HSE7 has arrived. I have been reading all the posts here in this forum and pretty much aware of the complaint about this car. I have read the electronic manual from landrover website to familiarized myself with the proper operation of the car prior to delivery of our new car. Yesterday was the day I have been waiting for. Went to the dealer's showroom and there it was looking good next to Volvo XC-90 (that we also considered). Had a personalized tour with dealer rep and showed me my car. She showed me the basic operation of the car from the sunroof, DVD nav, controls to raising and lowering the suspension. As I mentioned earlier I was already familiar with the operation from reading the manual. Anyways, I just kept nodding and pretending listening to her while I admire my new car. I drove my car off the lot. Very excited and totally forgotten about my first impression about this car based on all the troubles posted here. GUESS WHAT!!! Only afer approximately less than 2 miles (odometer reading on delivery is 7 miles), I noticed check engine warning was lit, HDC System fault displayed in info center display, Suspension fault icon and brake (not parking brake)were also lit. I pulled over the side and tried to reset the engine. Cleared all fault after restart. Drove the car again and only after few meters same warning lights was on. It was already late yesterday and drove the car back to the dealer with less than 10 miles odometer reading. They gave me a Jaguar X-type for the night and promised to check the vehicle first thing next day. Today, Friday, got a call from the dealer a mentioned that they drove the car and could not get rid of the check engine light and would like to keep the car for the weekend. A full tank brand new Jaguar X-type awaits for me to drive this weekend - at least the dealer is nice so far. Hope they won't put too much mileage on my Baby. I'll keep you guys posted next week. Just to let you know I got mine less than $47,000 (Brand new HSE with optional 7 seats)
    very scary. Keep us informed. I tell you what folks, before I convert my deposit into a sales contract, we are going to go for a testdrive in my particular vehicle, up and down some hills, around the dealer obstacle course... only after 25 miles of solid no indicators no faults driving will I then be happy to sign the sales contract!

Gothope, where are you located such that you got such a deal... are you an inside purchaser, good negotiator or luck or all of the above?
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    No stalling so far (3000 miles).

To test it, I drove through the Poconos until approx 30 miles left to empty (according to trip computer). Up and down fairly large hills.

Tom M.
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    Just a thought, but do the "stallers" have that "thump" from behind (I know, it just seems like it is from behind) when slowing and then starting up again again? Mine does that; and I have no stalling. I wonder if they are related issues. The transmission responding slightly improperly.
  • jamesj525jamesj525 Member Posts: 13
    Hi There,

I have 3k on my LR3 and I will post some of my thoughts soon (no time right now).

I was wondering if anyone has ordered/installed the dog barrier. If you have, please let me know what you think. Does it look okay? Is it a major pain to get in and out? Thanks!

JJ
  • lovelr3lovelr3 Member Posts: 5
    This post seems a little hard to believe. Did you mean 57000?! Never heard of 47000 for a HSE. I have 400 miles on my lr3 and have had it for a week now with no problems. Love the ride and handling.
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    Great - I am happy and so is the dealer - I got my LR3 back. Corroded wiring loom changed out and sent to UK for investigation.

This truck is SOO much better than the Range Rover I drove for two weeks!
    Absolutely agree with you tzo. Nonetheless, they are the explanations given to me.
    Michael, everyone will be just as happy as you if the problems never show their face again. Be good to know that a faulty wiring loom was the cause. Now, as for why the wiring loom got corroded... that's the question. Where does this loom locate itself? Could it be water damage?
    We have the dog barrier on our SE7 and it looks great - goes all the way down to the bottom of the rear load space and just does not move under the weight of our chocolate lab, Chamois. Unfortunately can't comment on how easy to remove...have not used the rearmost seats yet.
    The wiring loom was wet and corroded internally at the back, where it loops from right to left. LR Canada will send someone down to the dealer's next week to meet me there so I can learn all the detail - I too would like to be reassured that there will be no repeat.

A new car may have issues like this but I am not worried: if it is systematic they will just issue a recall. And of course chances are it was a one-off fault.

Just drove 100 km - wonderful. So great in snowy weather - stable, quiet, almost serene.

Michael
    Where do you other LR3 owners wash your cars?

I want to take mine through an automatic wash if possible. Here in Ontario we collect a ton of salt every time we drive, and washign the top manually (as I do) is all very well, but the salt still collects everywhere else.

Ideas?

Michael
    What I find particularly interesting about this forums posts, is the satisfaction and loyalty with LR3, even though they have these significant reliability issues. I would have thought people would be disgusted and just wanted to get rid of the vehicles. But everyone wants the problems fixed and continue to enjoy the otherwise great drivability experience.
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    I did notice that there are two (2) LR3 HSE7 well equipped for sale on Ebay today.
    Both under 5k miles in white.
    In case anyone cant wait!
  • toddetodde Member Posts: 10
    The electrical wiring harness doesn't come with the towing package. However the receiver does but not the ball with the bar.
    One of the incentive of being in the military that we got pricing based on the inital price quote from the manufacturer, $39,000 for SE and $44,000 for the HSE. We don't pay sales tax nor we pay luxury tax (Folks, we don't get paid much based on our line of job compare to civilian counterpart). We are stationed overseas and Land Rover also pay shipping back to the states for free. This also applies to all PAG (Premiere Auto Group), Volvo and Jaguar. If you want to get the price deal that you certainly hard to believe, it's easy, JOIN the military and take a chance to serve your country and deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan.
    What I find particularly interesting about this forums posts, is the satisfaction and loyalty with LR3, even though they have these significant reliability issues.

Indeed - that is because it is such a great car. Trusck. whatever. And every bit of high-tech equipment needs maintenance - try a Boeing 767 or an Apache helicopter. As long as the issues are handled, all is OK.
  • xray1xray1 Member Posts: 2
    well the dealer could not replicate the stalling problem (of course) so they reistalled the Computer Software?

I dunno -

I am waiting for someone to get pissed off enough to call the factory - gosh - they have to know about this problem - hmph!
    I think most folks realize there will be teething problems with any new vehicle - from all manufacturers. This is quite simply an extraordinary machine which perhaps explains the phenomenon you describe.
    I fell in love with it as well on paper and in test drive. I should get mine in about a week. Crossing all body parts hoping I don't encounter these problems.

We also purchased a new XC70 wagon this last week. That's a pretty nice ride.
  • iragoodiragood Member Posts: 12
    For those of you who are interested, Encino Land Rover ran the following full page ad in today's Sunday LA Times:

Why settle for anything less???
    #1 Volume Land Rover Dealer in the USA!
    Over 300 Land Rovers in Inventory
    Our Biggest Land Rover Event of the Year!
    Unbelievable Deals on all 2005 LR3s & Range Rovers!
    We Refuse to be Undersold!

Looks like someone has vehicles in stock.
    I talked to Encino LR as they followed up on a request for qoute, via the Internet. While polite, they did not pursue the deal at all. The guy at Redondo Beach LR was much more aggressive in following up with me.
  • rov3rrov3r Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any idea if the vehicles which have experienced stalling issues hail from the same production batch?

I was checking through inventories on-line It looks as though one may be able to determine what batch their vehicle is from by looking at the 5th letter of the VIN #, e.g. SALAA, SALAD, SALAE, etc.

I am taking delivery of a fresh off the boat SALAE today...I am hoping the stalling problem has been resolved in production by now...Anyone experience a stall with a SALAE?
  • winston1winston1 Member Posts: 10
    Very interesting thought. My LR3 does tend to surge under all but the lightest acceleration from a stop. If I forget to gently accelerate I get a "thump" seemingly from the tranny suddenly engaging. I have thought this is more a problem with the throttle set up but I suppose it could be inversely related to the stalling problem as I have had no problems with stalling. Anyone else out there think the acceleration from a stop is a bit hard to manage? I realize a V8 is supposed to be strong off the line but it seems a bit all or none at times. Tony
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    "Anyone else out there think the acceleration from a stop is a bit hard to manage? "

Tony,

There are several owners that have written about this condition including myself. My guess is a software issue. It not problematic enough for me to warrant a trip to the dealer but should be corrected
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Regarding the transmission seemingly shifting hard when accelerating from stop quickly... Yes, my LR3 seems to do that. But I never thought of it as a big issue. Of course, it could be my unfamiliarly with automatics and this type of vehicle. I've been a sports car & manual transmission driver virtually my whole life. I guess it makes the vehicle feel little less refined and should be improved if at all possible.
    With my ordered LR3 arrival imminent, I am going to do this to set my mind at ease: tell the dealer we are going to go for a 10 mile test drive where I am going to try and invoke these various failure modes.
    My hope, inspired by the mass of postings on this forum, is that these failure modes are infant mortality issues and as such will appear right away or most likely never.
    If the test drive reveals any issues, then I will not take the car. If no issues, then I will chance the validity of the infant mortality assumption.

Comments?
  • ronprxronprx Member Posts: 24
    Hey TZO - I live in Hermosa Beach. Did you purchase from Redondo, and if so do you recommend them? Come by and take me for a ride :-)
  • hung3hung3 Member Posts: 28
    yesterday I had encountered the same system fault as well. It happened when I was waiting for the traffic to clear at an exit of the mall. The car did not stalled, however HDC, ABS, Break warning light was all on. I drove the car to the next block and turned off the engine, then the dash message displayed HDC system fault/suspension system fault, transmission system fault. And I restart the engine again, everything seems to be back to normal. Drove for almost 60 miles and car seems to be fine. Let us know how your "baby" turns out.
    Ronprx, I live up in San Jose. I was talking to the LA LR dealers, including the RB guy. It turns out there is a vehicle coming to my spec here in San Jose, so I can save the flight/drive to LA.
  • xiaodongxiaodong Member Posts: 39
    Starting from stop sign and with accellerator depressed, the ute tends to rev up suddenly and to surge forward in the meantime.

It almost feels like there is a sudden down shift of gear and engine over-revs as a result.

I think that the down-shift of the LR3 gear is not fast enough for up slope and for stopping.

Baby step the throttle or stopping for slightly longer seems to alleviate the situation.
    I called the dealer today to check on my car. The mechanic I talked to mentioned that he has to call LR UK for the fix. LR UK instructed him to change the configuration of the car (what that meant I have no clue). He said everything looks OK after the update but would like to keep the car for another day. He will test drive it around the block tomorrow to make sure it's trouble free.
  • gw123gw123 Member Posts: 64
    I have this same problem in my Lexus LS430. I complained to the dealer - but they said this was a normal part of the "throttle by wire" or something similar. I think it's unnerving but doesn't seem like anything that will be fixed. They said the LS was "searching" for the right gear. As my model was the first year of a 6 speed, and the LR3 also has a 6 speed, this may just be related to the lower gear ratios.
  • iragoodiragood Member Posts: 12
    Tzo:

Your experience may say more about who was responding to your inquiry than anything else. I drove over to the dealership and my experience, to-date, has been very good (well, about as good as buying a car can be!). We test drove the LR3 and the Range Rover, and they answered all of our questions. The sales rep that I spoke to was low pressure, and I like that.
    Stopped by the RB LR dealer to discuss stall issues. At least this time they admitted a problem. They currently believe that stalls are attributed to fuel tanks.

The first step is to admit you have a problem. "AA 4 LR""
    That's an old theory that has been disproven by a number of owners.

LR has just tested a programming change that is coming out now.

Let's hope this fixes the problem once and for all.
    iragood, I agree totally. I have no fault at all with how Encino LR handled me. I wished only to point out that they were low pressure and letting me make the move to the next step.
  • rea9390rea9390 Member Posts: 19
    Anyone know of a good source of info on how the LR3 limited slip actually works. I know a little about other limited slips but have not been able to find any info on the LR3 setup....
    Yes. I know this based on the info here. My pint, is that they "the dealer" still believes that it is the fuel tank. Scarry that we (the folks here) know more than the folks selling these things.
    Take this for what's it worth - but my dealer now has the CD containing the corrected code for what they believe is a transmission problem that is causing the downhill stalls. We'll get the new code installed tomorrow and then the dealer states that he has to ship the new CD to another dealer that is having similar stalling problems. This is all supposedly very new and LR had to wait for the EPA to validate the new programming.

You may want to ask you dealer about this theory on the stalling issue.
  • bkleo123bkleo123 Member Posts: 1
    Im looking to get the LR3 and the mission viejo dealership is close by and I was wondering if someone has dealt with them before and what they thougt