Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• sibirsgeosibirsgeo Member Posts: 1
    I bought Mission Viejo's first HSE in November. Walked onto the lot and saw a lot of SEs which they tried to sell me. I told them to call me when you get an HSE - and they said, as I was walking away, they had one! It was hiding, apparently. About a 20+ person waiting list. I said I'm ready to drop the dollars today so I waited while they went through the list - 36 hours.

Some wanted the 7 seat option, others wanted a different color, but several were out of town and unable to get to the dealer to plunk down the money. Presto - I'm at the head of the queue.

Love the vehicle; no major problems though the nav is a bit idiosyncratic. I had it off-road once and it performed admirably.

All in all a great dealership.
  • doctorpdoctorp Member Posts: 15
    What grade of gas do you put in your LR3? Is putting in the more expensive stuff really better?
    I've driven Explorers for about 8 years and will finally be getting my LR3 in about a month. I've always put Indian reservation gas in my explorers because I never liked them and they were leases, but I've also never had a problem with Reservation gas. I just don't know what a Jaguar motor requires. I'm paying over $50K for this SUV, so it seems silly to skimp on cheap gas, but I just want to know if it actually matters. Thanks for any info.
  • winston1winston1 Member Posts: 10
    I've got 3000 miles on my LR3. I hoped to get by with regular because I live at around 6000 feet. I tried the cheap stuff for a month and noticed a slight drop in fuel economy (1 mpg) and performance so I switched back to premium. If I'm going to an even higher elevation, like a trip to the mountains, then regular is fine. Tony
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    LR3's higher compression engine has a 91 octane minimum recommendation, which is typical on this class of engine. That doesn't mean the engine won't "work" under 91 octane... just that it works most effectively with 91 octane in most conditions. But why would you want to save ~$.20 per gallon when blowing $50K on the LR3?
  • vancouvervancouver Member Posts: 1
    Hiya, I have been trying for the past couple hours to program my key remote to activate the suspension.

Has anyone tried this and succeed?

This is what I have been attempting:

1. Turned off vehicle

(within the minute)
    2. Hold down Land Rover button
    3. Press down suspension knob

I even pressed the hazzard button.
    also tried with the key out ignition.

still no luck. anyone?

cheers!
  • gw123gw123 Member Posts: 64
    I haven't tried this because it is my understanding that the suspension will only lower with the key fob when the engine is running. From what I've read/been told, you in effect need 2 keys to make this work. The intent was to have the LR3 lower when you were attaching a trailer. You would need one key in the ignition and 1 key with you when you wanted to lower the LR3 to the trailer.

It doesn't make sense to me but this is what I've been told. If you do get it to lower with no key in the ignition, let us know as the "access" mode would be nice to activate when trying to enter the vehicle.
  • vtsailguyvtsailguy Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know how to disable the "beep" when you lock the doors? Does it require dealer programming?
  • outrageousoutrageous Member Posts: 55
    "I have been trying for the past couple hours to program my key remote to activate the suspension."

"Air Suspension Control
    This facility is programmed by pressing the
    ’Land Rover’ button and, keeping it pressed,
    pressing the suspension control switch.
    A chime from the instrument panel buzzer will
    now confirm successful programming of the
    remote’s button.
    Programming of this function must be done
    within one minute of switching off the engine.
    Pressing and holding the button while pressing
    the lock button on the remote will now cause
    the air suspension to rise, provided that the
    hazard warning lamps have been switched on.
    Pressing and holding the button while pressing
    the unlock button on the remote will cause the
    air suspension to lower, provided that the
    hazard warning lamps have been switched on.
    If any button is released during the raising or
    lowering of the suspension, all movement of
    the suspension will stop. It will restart once the
    buttons are pressed again." From Owner's Manual, P.38

The car doesn't need to be running to use this feature.
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    After a month or so of following this board and asking your advice, I picked up a black-on-black LR3 SE7 last Saturday. A week or so earlier I insisted that that the dealer let me take their demo out on my own for about an hour...they hesitated but finally gave in. I drove it back to back with an X5, as they are also a BMW dealer - what a difference, no contest - the LR3 was so much smoother, quicker, refined and offers so much more $ for $. The 3-mile loop I drove previously really wasn't enough to demonstrate the difference between the 2 trucks. No faults or stalls yet, but I do get a clanking within the steering mechanism when I turn the wheel to the max.(?) - I'l have to keep an eye on this - anyone else get this?
    Also woke up to 8" snow this morning, the LR3 drove like the pavement was dry.
  • hung3hung3 Member Posts: 28
    I am sending my car to the dealer this Thursday. When I called to make an appointment, the service guy asks if the car stalled. I hope this little warning light issue does not turn out to be a major one. Hope this is just a car programming issue which can be updated with their computers.
    I will definitely ask about it at the dealer. Thanks for your info. Let's see how it turns out.
  • gw123gw123 Member Posts: 64
    Thanks.

I remembered that there was something you had to do to get the fob to work. I would prefer to be able to use the fob to lower the vehicle as I approached it. There still is the problem that you have to open the vehicle, turn on the hazard, then you can use the fob to lower the vehicle. By then, you're in the truck and can lower it manually.

Thanks for clarifying the use of the fob. Better that what I explained but still not what I would prefer.
  • fidhleirfidhleir Member Posts: 4
    Be sure, as noted in the instructions you quoted, that the hazard lights are on when you try it. Also be sure all doors are closed. They don't want you lowering a door onto a curb or some such thing.

It's lame that you have to turn on the hazards, which is the most remote button on the dash, to lower the truck. Not sure what that one's all about, but it works for me. Unfortunately, opening the door, turning on the hazards, closing the door, then holding down 2 buttons on the remote, all just to make the thing more "accessible", is a bit less than useless, IMHO.
  • jsfmdjsfmd Member Posts: 4
    I managed to get it to work, but damned if I know how I did it since it took about 10-15 minutes to program it. I do know that once programmed, you need to put on the flashers, then push the Land Rover button and hold it down with the lock or unlock key to make the car raise or lower.
  • jsfmdjsfmd Member Posts: 4
    The barrier works very well. We have two boxers who fit nicely and now can't climb up into the seats to try to sit in our laps. It is a bit of a nuisance to remove, though, as it requires removing a number of connectors, then storing the barrier itself. Also, when the barrier is in, the cargo cover can not be used.
  • winston1winston1 Member Posts: 10
    Despite all the little nit-picking we do on this site, I think we'd all agree that going with the LR3 over the X5-or really any other SUV is a hugely good call. Congratulations! Tony
  • guess402guess402 Member Posts: 11
    The reason you have to turn on the hazard lights is because this feature, I am told, is intended to help with getting a trailer connected to the LR3 not to make the car more accessible I know I wish this were not the case. I wanted to know if anyone has had any luck getting the volume on the park distance control turned up I know I can't even hear mine if my windows are down in the city.
    Yes, the remote lowering/raising is only intended for easing trailer hitching and nothing else. The hazard light switch requirement is there to prevent accidental use.

I guess some people would get a kick out of raising and lowering their vehicle remotely before entering. Sorry, the car will have to stay in access/lowered mode while it's parked if you want to enter in access/lowered mode. ;)
  • freeflytimfreeflytim Member Posts: 20
    Ive put 1000 miles on my Disco/LR3 so far and on the first day I did have some complaints/suggestions. After a few days of driving it, I now can’t even remember what they were. I totally got used to whatever was bothering me. The only thing I can think of is that the truck is too ‘tight’ and quiet…. I drive 90mph everywhere. I don't even drive my M3 like Im driving this thing! It has ZERO road or engine noise. Im expecting at least two tickets in 12 months! It rained yesterday and I took the truck out for the sole purpose of trying to get it ‘loose.’ I couldn’t. When the streets are wet, you do not have to slow down. Yeah, that’s nuts. That’s why I love it.
    No stalls, no squeaks or rattles. I can’t wait to get it in the mud.
  • jamesj525jamesj525 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the feed back on the dog barrier. I think it'll be worth it to keep the front seats nice. We hit the beach three or four times a week and a wet sandy dog on that nice leather just isn't going to cut it.

So I've had the LR3 for two weeks now. I bought it with 3000 miles on it and have added about 500 more. They assured me it had no problems in the first 3000 miles so I felt like it was a sure thing. I had also read this forum and discussed it with our sales rep extensively (they actually brought up this forum). Unfortunately, the third day we had it, it broke. It said something about a transmission error and then turned all systems off. Turned out the rear locker froze so they replaced the whole rear differential. In order to get it done, they pulled a dif out of an LR3 sitting on their sales lot and put it in mine (the replacement won't get here for at least two weeks). I didn't have to ask, complain or even look at them funny, they just did everything they could to get me back in it asap (gave me an 04 disco in the mean time).

I think it was a fluke and I don't think it's any indication of the quality of LR3's in general. Both the salesman and the service rep said this is the first problem they've had. No stalls. However, I would definitely pay more if I had to for a dealer I trusted. Our dealer has been outstanding in the way they've handled us both during the purchase and the break down (LR San Jose).

I also think it's funny that people talk about stalls and in the same post talk about how much they love the truck anyway. I freaked out when it first went in (Friday) but by Monday all I could think of was how bad I wanted it back! I took it to the snow yesterday and it was great. I could write a ton of praise, but I think it's all been said already! I love it!
  • saundersccsaunderscc Member Posts: 3
    i recently test drove the lr3--impressive vehicle. anyway, is it possible that the stalls near stops are when you are in manual shifting mode? my lr sales-guy said that it stays in whatever gear you're in if you're using manual mode. this could conceivably account for the low speed stall--too high gear, too low speed. just a thought.

also, have an offer on the table from my dealer on a blue hse with adaptive lights, cool box, tow package, and convenience package. frankly, i don't need/want the 3rd row. it is at a discount from msrp and the car is via dealer trade. haven't made up my mind as to whether i'm going to pull the trigger yet. wish i could get it without nav, though.
    Take the third row. I didn't want it either but got it. When folded the third row is no different than the '5.' I am now glad I got it because my buddies sit in the 'way back' with the middle seats down and its like sitting in a limo.

You'll like the 'way back' seats.. trust me. I also didn't want but got the rear climate control either but Im glad I got it. The truck has a lot of glass and having the unit in the back makes 'getting to temperature' a lot quicker.

Whatever you have read about the stalling issues, its only a couple of trucks and the people are complaining here. Its a non issue IMHO. How many people on message boards are NOT having a problem?? A lot. Normal birthing problems.

Buy the 7 seater... You'll love it.

Its funny that you said "pull the trigger" because thats what my salesman was telling me when I was signing my purchase contract.. which I did before I even drove one!
    "wish i could get it without nav, though'

Get the Nav. I used to think it was a gimmick until I was driving my dad's Yukon 500 miles from home and got stuck on the interstate because of a wreck. The NAV took me five miles down a frontage road while I was looking on my left at the backed up traffic on the intersate.
  • gothopegothope Member Posts: 5
    I had my car now for a couple of days. Awesome performace so far. My kids don't even like to ride the V70 Volvo anymore. If you can only see the grin on my face whenever driving this car. Handling was extraordinary. Everything about this car screams perfection (fine, except the plastic dash). The only thing that really bothers me is the thought of one of those warning lights will pop up again. I can't help to stare on the control panel whenever I start the car and pray please everything will be fine. I know this is not good. You should not get this feeling for a brand new car especially after spending 50K. Tell you what though, I am enjoying every moment I spend with this car and so far a pleasure to drive.
  • midcoastmidcoast Member Posts: 4
    After reading, and having communication with reichowjr, I too put my deposit down Oct 30 for a well-loaded (IMHO) HSE. I'm still waiting, still waiting for an actual date and thinking the dealer may be too small to weigh in with the big boys fighting for the HSE's off the boat.

I've sold my primary, and now, former SUV and driving a back up vehicle waiting, and waiting. When can I hope to actually drive my HSE?
  • teamkteamk Member Posts: 8
    I placed an order for an HSE a while back, found another one that I purchased (absolutely love it), and now have a new HSE sitting at a dealer in Northern CA / Central Valley waiting for me.

If anyone's sick of waiting and wants to try to get this vehicle, please let me know.

You can reach me with a message on this board or at edmunds att teamkramer dot commmm [trying to hide the email address from the spam-bots]

Happy LR3-ing -- will try to get a comprehensive review of my happiness up here -- 2000 miles, no stalling, no warning lights, only a rock in the windscreen which needs replacing now.
  • landy manlandy man Member Posts: 39
    No. Stalls occurred on all three examples I've been in while in automatic shifting mode.
    Could not agree more, having had to endure two X5s as my wife's former co. cars. They were small in rear cargo area, "jerky" to drive (and brake) and had dismal quality control.
    With all due respect, it is untrue that the stalling issue is no more than just "a couple" of trucks and people "complaining here." LR is fully aware of it and it is a dangerous condition that demands a repair. Yes, perhaps an early birthing glitch, but please don't think just 1 or 2 people complaining here are having the problem. We've experienced 2 different examples in our family having the problem, the demo we drove died on the LR obstacle course and had a hell of a time restarting and several dealers I've spoken to in NJ and Pa. are aware of it as well.
  • ypshanypshan Member Posts: 103
    freeflytim,

The truck is supposed to get loose instead of grip well if you push it close to the limit for safety reason. An SUV has much higher center of gravity than a sports car like M3. If the tires grip too well, instead of sliding, the truck will tip over which is very bad.

You can easily get any vehicle 'loose' by entering a corner at high enough speed and steer abruptly. I'd only try it in an empty parking lot though.
    Kudos for your tack and Im sorry if I was being a little too happy of my love of the LR3. I hit 800 miles on mine today and I think if I make it to 1000 Im ‘all good’ and won't have the stalling or suspension problems people are talking about... Crossing my fingers. It’s a bummer what you are going through now ‘cause every time you go out for a drive you don’t know what’s gonna happen and you're not enjoying the ride. Maybe your LR3 was built on “Free Guinness Friday” Insert tongue in cheek. -TIM
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    I'm interested and have another 2 questions.
    1) what color ext/int is this model, do you know?
    2) why does everyone want the HSE when they can get a fully loaded SE faster? What is the feature that is driving your interest in the HSE?

thx.
  • ronprxronprx Member Posts: 24
    19 inch wheels
    memory seats
    adaptive headlights

The thought that the vehicle is built at the factory, as opposed to "added on" by the dealer.
    also HSE has 8-way seats and can't get that on the SE.

This is a QUICK trigger -- I have to tell them today if I want the car or not.

It's Bonatti Grey / Black interior. Has rear seats, rear climate, cold climate, tow, heavy duty packages -- it's loaded.
  • iragoodiragood Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone purchased the safari roof rack? I was curious about its configuration. The side rails look more useful than the roof bars. The "catalog" image of the rack provided by Land Rover is not much help. Does the rack itself have a floor?, or is it just the higher side rails? I just want to be sure that it doesn't cover up the glass roof panels. Does it add a lot of dead weight to the car that further impacts mileage?
  • roverdawgroverdawg Member Posts: 30
    Sorry all, my previous post was removed for incorporating the entire press release. Ooops.

Intel has utilized the LR3 to demonstrate its mobile PC:

Land Rover announced today that the award-winning Land Rover LR3 is being unveiled by Intel Corporation as the first vehicle to demonstrate integration of its newest Intel(R) Centrino(TM) mobile technology-based concept mobile PC today at the Intel Developer Forum in San Francisco.......

Full press release:
    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/- story/03-02-2005/0003112543&EDATE=

May need to cut & paste the link as it keeps hyphenating the full link. (shouldn't be a hyphen before "story") OR, go to Google News and do a search for LR3 and sort by date.
  • black_hseblack_hse Member Posts: 4
    "…. I drive 90mph everywhere. I don't even drive my M3 like Im driving this thing! "

Then why aren't you?? I currently drive a 330i with sport package. There is NO WAY the LR3 drives faster, with more confidence than a BMW 3 series. I have 1000 miles also on my LR3, which I opted for over the M3 due to a baby on the way. I understand (and share) your enthusiasm for this vehicle but let's keep the over-exaggeration to a minimum.
  • jamesj525jamesj525 Member Posts: 13
    Hey, sorry to still be on about the dog barrier, but I was wondering if you guys installed it yourselves, or if you had the dealer do it. How does it hook in? Do you think it's something that could be done at home?

Thanks!
    JJ
  • rea9390rea9390 Member Posts: 19
    I have posted the same question no response yet. I'm concerned on how it mounts to the vehicle and the weight limit....
    I don't think he's over-exaggerating exactly. He's not talking about performance.

Due to the isolation and quietness of the LR3, some people tend to drive faster. You don't know how fast you are doing. In cars like the BMW M3 and Audi S4, you know how fast your going -- it's a far more interactive experience.
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    Roverdawg many thanks for the article.

I find it a bit absurd as LR cant even get the bluetooth integration out!

What they do demonstrate is hopeless "implementation" as opposed to "integration".

Dont see Intel putting up with these guys for long!

I love my LR3 but the LR brass are all out of synch and inconsistent!
    Couple comments / questions....

1. To reiterate, I've had my Silver HSE for 2 months and 2000 miles -- no issues except the occasional need to powercycle the stereo to get the sound to come out. I installed the mudflaps, and will tackle tow electrics soon as my buddy said they're not too bad to do. I've also put on/off the luggage rack (ski rack attachment) many times and it's very easy to do.

2. Has anyone found any cool "hacks" to the LR3 yet? Like using the MOST system for something else as detailed in the Intel press release above?

3. I'd love to see this board re-organized into a more readable format -- maybe organized into Issues / Prices Paid & Buying Experiences / Tips and Tricks or something like that. As an owner, I'm more interested in the Tips/Tricks/Overall experiences and none of the other content. If I have an issue, then I'll look at Issues/Problems. Can the moderators do something here?
    actually Johnmajor, sounds like LR and Intel were made for each other, given Intel's remarkably poor record of execution on new products.

What I heard about the LR3 Bluetooth from the dealer is that the current 2005 LR3 Bluetooth can allow *certain* phones to be used handsfree, but not control/dial from the keypad. He said the 2006 Bluetooth integration would be more complete.

Don't blame this one too much on LR... Bluetooth is a bit of a mess and unless they dedicated alot of engineering time upfront to interoperability issues, I am not surprised about the current state of affairs. Among the long list of things clamoring for more engineering time on this the first year rollout of LR3, BT integration would have been low on the list.
  • hung3hung3 Member Posts: 28
    Awesome, I think we all have made the best choice in the market right now. My opionion behind little issues here and there is that no matter what, it will be covered by LR and it really doesn't bother me much to go back and forth the dealership.
    It is funny that you have the same car as we do. We used to own a volvo and trade in for the LR3, thinking it will be suitable for our kids in the future. Driving in this big truck really feels good, I can imagine your grin on the face as we acted the same way too ha. Just dropped off the car for inspection today. Hopefully it is just a little computer chip jitter. Update again later.
  • outrageousoutrageous Member Posts: 55
    "Has anyone purchased the safari roof rack? I was curious about its configuration."

You can see the pdf for the expedition roof rack installation and info by logging into the LR technical site:

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Owne...ok_overview.htm

Then click on Owner Info at the top right which brings you to a page for selecting from owner's manuals, accessories etc. You have to sign in a second time to get these pdf's, but it's free.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We'll see what we can do about re-organizing the LR3 posts. Thanks for asking. Some forum options are going to be rolled out at the end of the month sometime that may help too.

Steve, Host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please tell us about your buying experience here:

Land Rover LR3: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences

Steve, Host
    tzo, the forthcoming factory PTI/Bluetooth will use the head unit keypad. It will allow many phones to be used via Bluetooth. Some phones can be docked physically using a compatible cradle... with more functionality (phone book sharing, external antenna, charging, etc.)

Drop by a dealer and look at a 2005 Range Rover; it's the same system without a Touchscreen interface.

The bad part is the phone books and call logs can't be shared over Bluetooth, like other implementations can (BMW, etc.) -- not everyone will have dockable phones. Pretty lame.

The line about "2006 Bluetooth integration would be more complete" is a myth so far. Don't expect major changes. The forthcoming 2006 Range Rover Sport and 2006 Range Rover have the same half-baked Nokia technology.
    Grommet, I bow to your better information. So does this 2005 LR3 support any BT or not? You speak of the 'forthcoming' support... is there BT on the models we would buy today.
  • leapoffaithleapoffaith Member Posts: 6
    I just ordered an HSE Tonga Green/Black after vacillating back and forth on the GX470. I ordered the dog barrier also. Can't help with your question, but would also be interested in a response.
    My sales rep told me the factory is catching up with HSE orders and that I could expect delivery by the end of June. I hope he means 2005.
    In the US, PTI/Bluetooth will be orderable with the 2005 LR3 in the next order cycle. Until it's built and shipped here, it doesn't exist. ;) No production vehicles in the US have it currently.