Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    All US exterior colors can be specificed with either Ebony Black or Alpaca Beige interors. In fact, I know someone with one. Chawton White & Ebony Black.

But do note it's always possible a specific order cycle had an order limitation.
  • webbuzzwebbuzz Member Posts: 36
    The vehicle that I ordered in December is a White w/Black interior. The only thing the dealer said was "due to this color combination a non-refundable deposit is required."
  • bribribribri Member Posts: 2
    We looked into two other programs that offer similar 'lowest price, no haggle' options but neither of them had an agreement with Land Rover. We did however, price out the Toyota Land Cruiser with one of them and it turned out that it was not really that low! We have found that at least at the Toyota dealers we visited, the selling approach was much much different than Land Rover. So what is did give us was a more honest conversation about invoice pricing (even though these prices are readily available on the web) I would say, as long as you don't have any committment to buy you should compare the credt union offer with Land Rover direct.
    One last thought, if they are delievering it to you at the credit union, will you have the same ability to inspect the car (paint, interior), make sure all options are working before you hand over the check? Good luck!
  • joshua1joshua1 Member Posts: 7
    I have had occasion to drive or ride in several luxury cars lately -- ranging from Lincoln Towncars to Mercedes S500. What is so striking to me is that the LR3 compares so well in ride to these very high end offerings. For a truck that is quite remarkable.

By the way: I am at 3000 miles, and still no problems to speak of.
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    I agree with you. I just sold an S500 that I drove for a few years. And I compare the LR3 driving feel very favourably to the Mercedes. The 19" Wranglers probably help. This coming weekend I'll find out how the ride is off-road, when I visit Death Valley!
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    My rain sensing wipers begin the wiping cycle before there is enough rain. This results in a load chatter sound as the blades skip against the glass.

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the system?
  • hung3hung3 Member Posts: 28
    After we got the car back from the dealer on 03/04/2005, we had experience the same issue last Saturday. HDC, Transmission fault + ABS, Break warning lights came on while we were stuck in traffic on the highway, at the same time the suspension just shut down lights went off on the center console (the suspension descented to the lowest level, access mode). The engine was still running and the car seems to move, we then drove to the nearest exit and shut off the engine for approx. 5 mins. Once we restart the engine the problem seems to go away, however after we finished out errands, on our way home the same issue pop up at an intersection. Since the traffic light was red, we shut off the engine and restart it to eliminate the problem. And again the problem went away. The car is in the shop this morning, I should expect to hear more updates tomorrow from the service dept at LR.

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem?? the car did not stall but the suspension completely shut down. I am now considering going forward with Lemon Law, if the problem can't be fixed by the dealer this time. Does anyone know how to go about doing this?

Appreciate your kind assistance and reply.
  • fbaerfbaer Member Posts: 7
    Every state has a different law (if you are in the US) and my owners manual package had a book regarding Problem Resolution. If you do not have it, let me know and i will look up your state and see what it says.
  • jbsschicagojbsschicago Member Posts: 1
    I am reading a lot of neg stuff re. the LR3 and I felt the need to offer a more positive perspective. I sadly traded in my 2003 Range Rover 3 weeks ago because I really needed a third row. And I am surprised and happy to say that I am thrilled with my new ride. So well thought out, more peppy and smoother transmission than the RR. Love the nav system and the in dash CD changer. SO MUCH interior room. Can easily fit 3 booster seats across in the 2nd row ( not possible w/out bloody knuckles in the RR) and the 3rd row easily accomodates adults (only midsize SUV to claim that). My experience has been a pleasure. The dealer has been great even threw in the running boards with my purchase.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe that's not so good for your pocketbook:

"Of the new introductions, Land Rover LR3, Chrysler 300 and Hyundai Tucson sold at the smallest discounts -- 0.1%, 2.8% and 3.6% below sticker price, respectively."

New Models Currently Selling at Widely Divergent Discounts (PR Newswire)

Steve, Host
  • sector12sector12 Member Posts: 5
    I had the HDC, Suspension and special programs failure on starting my LR3. Upon restarting the LR3 the failures did not reappear. I have not had this problem while actually driving. I took my LR3 to the dealer last week. They could not find a problem, and indicated that there was no problem but that the system was indicating failures when there were none. At Land Rovers direction the dealer reinstalled the software. While the dealer told me that I should not encounter any more problems, the dealer also told me that Land Rover was coming out with a new software in two to three weeks.
    interesting. the last trip to the dealer they found no fault recorded in the car and they could not reproduce the same problem, duh! This time I am not sure what they will do to find out the actual issue. Since this is the sencond time the problem arises, I assume they will look into it more seriously. Thank you for the tips, I will ask the dealer today.
    I can't help but feeling a bit upset as our LR3 just pass the 1000 mile mark and had the same problem 3 times already.
    thanks, I have the same booklet from the dealer at the time of purchase. Trying to read through it now and see what resolution is available.

Thank you.
  • pmorenopmoreno Member Posts: 4
    I took my LR3 to the dealer to have my key remote issue checked out.

They told me rather than run the engine for 6 minutes to restore the operation of the remote, to simply turn the key to the "On" position (without turning the motor over) for 6 minutes.

They re-synched both of my remotes using this method.
    the service tech found a Land Rover clamp tool still on the hose somewhere, out of plain sight. Apparently the port delivery people who do some final assy had half tightened the clamp, got distracted and let the car go with the tool still on. Now they tightened the clamp, got rid of the tool, and pressure tested OK.
    got a call from the dealer just now and was told to hang tight while they research the problem with LR tech hotline as well as other LR dealers. Well I guess I wont see my "baby" for a few days more.
  • outrageousoutrageous Member Posts: 55
    "They re-synched both of my remotes using this method."

Interesting--sounds like someone wrote the Owner's Handbook wrong. Thanks for the follow-up.
    hung3, that sounds like a real bummer. Keep us informed how things turn out. I fully believe there will be a magic bullet fix and that once resolved, all the LR3's afflicted with this condition will be cured to normal function.

At 1000 miles, my HSE has been flawless, except for the coolant leak issue. I just haven't had a hint of any of these HDC faults, stalls, etc... the car drives so well, I am amazed at the smoothness. I take it for light duty offroading this weekend in Death Valley, and I'll report how well it did in that hostile environment.
  • pfabozzipfabozzi Member Posts: 5
    Got word that after a long long wait, by
    LR3 HSE7 Is hitting port next week.

I told the dealer to install mud flaps (LR Orig)
    on the front and rear. (Amongst a bunch of other stuff)

Does anyone have experience with these? Do they
    limit my offroad capability? I am also getting the
    side steps.

Any advise is appreciated in advance.
    Paul
  • cassie6cassie6 Member Posts: 2
    I don't actually have possession of it yet, but I've been told that I have a white one with black interior, on the way. Scheduled to arrive in GA in the next week.
    Thanks, I will make sure to update my experience.
    Like yourself and all other owners, I really love the way this car drives, not to mention the excitement of the attention and praise that we got for this car.
    I havent had any stall and other problems except for this one. Eventhough the thought of excercise the lemon law entered my mind, but I still feel strongly about keeping it.
    Paul, thx for reminding me! I need to get my mudflaps installed, more cause I am worried about gravel spraying off the tires.

I can't see how mudflaps would limit your offroad ability other than they might not be flexible and break off if you the wheel comes off a small boulder and the boulder hits the flap. Chances are the flap is so close the wheel that this scenario is not likely.
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    I had the HDC, Suspension and special programs failure on starting my LR3. Upon restarting the LR3 the failures did not reappear. I have not had this problem while actually driving. I took my LR3 to the dealer last week. They could not find a problem, and indicated that there was no problem but that the system was indicating failures when there were none. At Land Rovers direction the dealer reinstalled the software. While the dealer told me that I should not encounter any more problems, the dealer also told me that Land Rover was coming out with a new software in two to three weeks.

Me too - my 7,000km HSE did the same the other day when starting at the airport (parked for just one day), plus it went into low gear and handbrake applied by itself.. The car is in the shop now to investigate - I will not drive a car that has self-applying handbrakes etc!

Michael
  • webbuzzwebbuzz Member Posts: 36
    I got the same call Monday, the vehicle is in port for processing. But, they said it could arrive in Atlanta by next week.
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    The mud flaps front & rear work great. Even going through heavy snow drifts they dont cause any problems and they do keep debris down when running normally.

I installed body side mouldings in an effort to prevent door dings.
  • vtsailguyvtsailguy Member Posts: 10
    The mudflaps are relatively small so I do not think they will interfere with anything. They look great and do prevent alot of tire wash on the lower panels.
  • landy manlandy man Member Posts: 39
    Mudflaps will not inhibit offroad ability but sidesteps surely will.
  • iragoodiragood Member Posts: 12
    Thank you for your message. Autoland supposedly coordinates between several local dealerships trying to find the lowest price. Not sure that the price you get really is the lowest. I am under the impression that Land Rover dealers are not discounting much anyway, so I will just have to see what price I am offered. Actually, the issue right now is trying to find the red one. There are lots of black, silver, white and green ones about, but I want to be different. As for inspecting the car, I won't take the keys if I see anything wrong. I have a car that runs, so I can be patient. I plan to be living with this choice for a number of years and, given the price I will be paying, I don't expect to be making any compromises. Besides, the longer I wait, the more "fixes" and features seem to become available.
  • ronprxronprx Member Posts: 24
    IRVINE, Calif., March 1, 2005 – Land Rover reports record February sales totaling 2,702 vehicles sold, beating the previous record of 2,605 vehicles sold in 2002. Land Rover's LR3 sales totaled 1,504 for the month, and 2,814 year-to-date. Range Rover monthly sales totaled 790 vehicles sold, setting a new best February record for the model. The previous best February was in 2004 when 753 Range Rovers were sold.

"We are off to a fantastic year for the brand," said Pat Ward, vice president of Retail Operations for Land Rover. "It is exciting to see the positive feedback we received on LR3 from media and the general public last year translating into sales in our showrooms this year."

This month's sales of 2,702 units sold mark a five percent increase from February 2004 when 2,568 vehicles were sold. The year-to-date sales for Land Rover are up one percent from last year when 5,388 vehicles were sold.
  • jjgghhjjgghh Member Posts: 13
    I'm very interested in purchasing the LR3, and have read just about every post on this board, and am encouraged by how much people seem to like these vehicles when they are functioning, but seriously discouraged by the glitches that many owners seem to have experienced. This purchase would be the first purchase for me of a vehicle of this caliber, as I've thus far been an Explorer/Expedition/Suburban guy (mostly used on-road, but with a fair amount of snow/beach driving), and am looking for a step up -- but I also value reliability (and don't want to visit the service department every month).

So...what's the bottom line consensus here? Is it worth the plunge for the LR3 or should I keep looking? I'm going to make a purchase in the next 4-8 weeks. Many thanks for any advice.
    I totally understand. I was in your shoes about 4 weeks ago. I feared being a staller victim. But I blew it off, and went for a new HSE and at 1000 miles, things are absolutely perfect. Had a coolant leak but that was a loose hose install at the port, and was taken care of in ten minutes.
    Otherwise, I am very happy with the vehicle.

Clearly you are taking your chances if you purchase one. However, the odds are probably overwhelmingly in your favour. Not as high as if you bought a Lexus , but then again, who the heck wants that sterile compromise of a vehicle.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    No one can answer that question for you, only for themselves.

What you should consider is that virtually every new vehicle has teething troubles, some worse than others, and the LR3 is no exception. The real issue is how those problems are dealt with, and at the moment the jury is still out on the answer to that one.

It would be reasonable to expect that if you purchase an LR3 now, you may also experience some of the problems that others have. Would that be acceptable to you?

If you decide to go ahead, I think you should greatly prioritize the reputation and attitude of the dealership over the initial purchase price.
    excellent point. Since the nature of these problems is complex, the problem itself not easily reproduced, you're going to have a dealer that is patient and believing in your troubles. Again, the odds are that you won't have the problems, but in the rare event you do, you'll need a dealer who will work with you to the end.
  • winston1winston1 Member Posts: 10
    Do you want a vehicle to love and be passionate about or do you want 'ol reliable? For me the LR3 made little sense-too much money, not enough gas mileage, no reliability data etc.,etc. But it was love at first test drive. And yes, I have had a glitch here and there with my truck. My wife expressed surprise that I wasn't bothered by these. I told her and I tell you love is blind but when you find it nothing's better. Try the LR3 and see if you can bring yourself to buy anything else. I couldn't.
    Got our "baby" back yesterday afternoon. The dealer claimed to reset and updated the ECU after new phone calls back and forth with the LR tech hotline. The car is running smoothly now.
    We really hope this problem will not surface again. Will try long distance driving this weekend and update you guys again.
  • xgundamxgundam Member Posts: 2
    I faced the exactly same situation two months ago. But after I had a test drive, I just couldn't resist it. My LR3 just over 2000 miles and everything is perfect. I know many people experienced some problems and I do really hope LandRover can identify and fix those problems soon. One key point is what's the percentage of the LR3 have stall problem or HDC failure ? 1% ? 10% or 30%? Maybe no one has the answer. All I can tell you is I am very happy with my LR3 so far.
  • guess402guess402 Member Posts: 11
    I was not looking to get a new car and had a Range Rover which I was in love with. I had it in for service and they gave me an LR3 to test drive (that was Monday). On Friday I no longer owned a Range Rover and had a brand new LR3 black on black fully loaded sitting in my garage. So far it has 1000 miles on it and the only problem I have had was condensation in the headlights which was fixed as quickly as they could get new ones in. I have talked to a lot of people and many ask why I "downgraded to a LR3" I tell all of them that it was an upgrade I absolutely love the car. I think many of the owners on this site do and I am willing to bet that most of them feel willing and able to go through any adjustments to get the car working perfectly (we all knew we were buying a first year car). I say if you love it get it if not then you should probably wait till they find a fix for the problem with the stalls. I get the impression that there are not many out there but who knows. Good luck and if you get one odds are you will fall in love with it too.
  • jjgghhjjgghh Member Posts: 13
    Thanks, all, for the advice.

That's an excellent point re dealers. Does anyone have experience with the dealers in Larchmont/New Rochelle, NY or Darien, CT? Thanks.
  • guess402guess402 Member Posts: 11
    I have used both the dealers in New York City and Southampton I would say bill one of the salesmen at Southampton is one of the best around however I have had amazing service from the dealer in New York City even though I didn't buy my car there which says a lot.
  • xiaodongxiaodong Member Posts: 39
    I dealt with dealer at mt kisco,westchester. They were pleasant to work with and were fine when it came to attending minor nuisances I had with my hse.
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    I would buy again for sure. This is a great truck and my issues with it have been dealt with by the dealer and Land Rover Canada. I got the car back upon my return from the UK yesterday and I am delighted to be driving it again. Much better than whatever else is out there...
  • freeflytim1freeflytim1 Member Posts: 2
    You will NOT find any pictures anywhere of the Disco/LR3 with a ‘brush guard’ and winch. Not even in the accessories catalogue. I know.. I searched high and low for pix and could not find any. I found pix of the ‘A bar’ and winch, but not the ‘brush guard’ and winch.

So here they are. ....

Pix of *MY* Disco/LR3 with the newly installed brush guard with winch. I just picked it up hours ago after the install. I got 10% off the parts and the labor was $650. Took 2 days in the shop.

Pix-
    Lo res http://www.flickr.com/photos/freeflytim

High res http://briefcase.yahoo.com/freeflytim

Also note front tinted windows, tinted band on windshield (MUCH needed), mudflaps and headlight guards.

Hopefully all wanted angles are provided.

2000 miles and all good.
  • teldocteldoc Member Posts: 49
    jjgghh,
    We have 3,600 miles on our LR3 SE since early December and it's not been back to the dealer once, or had any service issue yet.

It is an amazing SUV and we love ours. Unlike the cookie cutters on the road today, you literally go days and weeks between seeing other LR3s.

JUST DO IT.
  • freeflytim1freeflytim1 Member Posts: 2
    If you’re having a problem with my ‘Yahoo Briefcase’ it’s a Yahoo problem, not the link. Im having the same problem also. Hit it later I guess.

Lo res http://www.flickr.com/photos/freeflytim

High res http://briefcase.yahoo.com/freeflytim
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Per the Rules of the Road, when talking about your deal, please don't name individuals. Dealer names/locations are fine, but naming names invites a bunch of shill posts.

And don't forget the Land Rover LR3: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion.

thanks,

Steve, Host
  • joshua1joshua1 Member Posts: 7
    Although I am very sympathetic to those who have had to work out kinks, large and small, in their new LR3s, to anyone who reads these posts, I would say: it is a remarkable car. Many of us have had few, if any problems, with our trucks. The LR3 is one of the most computer-sophisticated cars ever developed. The software problems are not surprising, and my LR dealer says that fixes are coming fast and furiously (I was told that at my 7500 mile check-up, they will do a computer system check and determine whether I need any of the fixes).

Overall, there simply isn't a better handling truck on the road. Even without all the bells and whistles (many of which, actually, I find annoying -- who needs dimming rear-view mirrors; all you can see at night behind you are headlights), it is sophisticated, tough, and yet has a strong whiff of classy luxury. Oh, and it isn't a knock-off of any lower-level truck/SUV (Lexus, Infiniti, Saab), or built on an already existing car platform (BMW, Lexus, Volvo).

Indeed, put your doubts aside and go for it.
  • letterrepletterrep Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I am considering getting the mud flaps (and the sidebar) for my LR3 also, but I'd really like to see how one looks with them before I do. (Except for those at the dealership, I haven't seen any others...none at the dealer's had mud flaps.)

Please take some pics from different angles...a 3/4 pic from the front, a side profile pic, a rear 3/4, a rear and post them somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Also, if anyone out there has the sidebar and flaps on the Java Black, seeing these same pics would be ideal.

~R
  • bouldersboulders Member Posts: 18
    I used the dealership in Larchmont/New Rochelle and IMHO they are excellent. I received my car in November and had a stall two days later. The service department had the problem diagnosed and fixed in a few days. As far as I know they were probably one of the first to ID the fuel pump as one of the major causes for stalling. Certainly they were one of the earliest. Furthermore, I have always received a Disco as a loaner and they have always been very pleasant and patient with my queries.
    Drove up to Sierra Mountains during yesterday's storm. About 29degF at 7000+ ft. Lots of wet snow and ice on the road. I have the HSE with the Wrangler HP tires on 19" wheels.

On the freeway, dry or wet, I am very happy with the Wrangler HP's... excellent ride, very quiet. Traction no complaint.

Snow tires, though, they ain't. While taking a icy corner I felt the front end start to understeer for just a bit. Let off the gas and they caught again. I was in the regular road program. More or less, the tires/car did their job OK, in about 4 inches of new snow.

Later in the day, I went off into some side roads that had like 6-12" of snow. Backing up from this deadend road, I actually got stuck! Not from being in wet snow up to the frame, there was still 2-3" of clearance under there. The tires just wouldn't grab and dug down to a patch of pavement and just spun there. I could not rock myself out, no matter what. I switched to the Snow terrain mode. Still no movement back or forth. I was disappointed in that it appeared that two of the wheels, one front/one back, were spinning, just like my old 4 wheel drive GMC pickup. Didn't Land Rover do a better job on 4wd than this? The 4x4 info center showed all unlocked, never locking once, even while the wheels were clearly spinning while the opposing were not turning. Not good.

Finally, I switched to Low, and then the lockers finally locked, and I could get rock myself out.

So two complaints: first, the terrain control Snow mode should do better locking of rear axle and transaxle, and then the HP tires just suck for any serious snow driving. I can just imagine them in sand or mud... forget about it!

I am going to try and acquire the 255/55/19 Goodyear MTR's from the UK and try them out. ALternatively, the Goodyear Silent Armors look good on 17" rims for the LR3, and those net out at an OD of 30.5" versus the stock 30".

Comments?