Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    Michael
    The only time I get system faults are on startup on a cold morning at Zero or below.
    Just back from Florida and no problems.
    Wonder where LR tested for colder climes?
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    The only time I get system faults are on startup on a cold morning at Zero or below.

Same here - it always happens around zero - Celcius, i.e. 32F. I think the computer has cold start problems. I bet it won't do this in summer - but that does not help much: especially in winter it has to be reliable.

Having said that: this seems to be a pattern, so I am sure they will find a fix.
  • ronprxronprx Member Posts: 24
    A local dealer has a couple HSCs on the lot. They are not willing to deal AT ALL. ... so they say.

Fully loaded, cooler box and all.

Asking 3k extra for DV and close to 2k extra for running boards!
    MSRP of close to 60K
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    I was up at 7000 feet, and this AM I started the car at about 29deg F, no problem. One hour later, started the car and the splash screen froze on the Land Rover logo, and the radio volume would not function (twist knob, but the vol number wouldn't show up). Took key out, let all timers expire for go home lights, etc... and then upon next key start and several thereafter all was well. There is clearly a tolerance fault in the computer system... Voltage spikes, soft errors, dunno, but something is a bit flaky here.
  • stevenjstevenj Member Posts: 2
    Picked up a Tonga green SE7 last week. 500 miles and loving it. Great truck, very smooth. Dealer through in the seats, rear climate, mats and rear parking off msrp
    Trip computer shows:
    - 15.9 mpg
    - 44.9 mph
    - 264 miles

Odo:
    - 265.5 miles

Filled up the tank with 17.41 gallons, so by measuring this way, I calculate 15.25mpg... so pretty close to trip computer.

I have some pics of where I was on the freeway, cruising 65mph, and the trip computer was reporting 20.0 mpg.

There you go.
  • smarticussmarticus Member Posts: 37
    I think the reason for the LR3 system "falling over" within a few seconds of starting up in cold weather is now apparent. Apparently the LR3 computer is very sensitive to voltage levels. On a cold morning the battery will inevitably struggle and add in lots of accessories switched on from the start (heated seats, heated front & rear screens and lights) and the computer "senses" the low initial power and this sends it into a cascading error cycle. Switch it off, count to 10 and start again and everything is fine - although it certainly isn't fine that the problem occurs in the first place.....
    I think the reason for the LR3 system "falling over" within a few seconds of starting up in cold weather is now apparent. Apparently the LR3 computer is very sensitive to voltage levels.

OK, that sounds very plausible. And in that case a fix, either in software or in hardware (or in a combination thereof), is surely possible. I look forward to it.

But one thing I note is that both times in my case it has been in "cold, but not VERY cold weather". It is often minus 20 Celcius in Ontario. The error has not happened to me in those cold temperatures, but only around freezing, much warmer.

Thinking it over, I think condensation, but then the second start would not work. Your theory still sounds likely.
  • rovernut3rovernut3 Member Posts: 11
    I have noticed and seen my navigation screen flicker and become dimmer at night. It doesn't seem like it does it all the time so I am wondering if this is a malfunction or suppose to happen. Thanks for any thoughts or input.
    I have noticed and seen my navigation screen flicker and become dimmer at night. It doesn't seem like it does it all the time so I am wondering if this is a malfunction or suppose to happen. Thanks for any thoughts or input.

Odd: after my last trip to the dealer's I have seen this too! I think this is expected behaviour (it used to be way too bright at night). But yes, it appears a bit inconsistent.

Has your car been to the dealer's recently?

Michael
  • outrageousoutrageous Member Posts: 55
    "Switch it off, count to 10 and start again and everything is fine..."

The trouble with this theory is that the voltage would likely be even lower on the second start-up, since you've already stressed the battery with the first.
  • outrageousoutrageous Member Posts: 55
    On the other hand, maybe the first start warms up the battery a bit from the current drain, causing the discharge voltage on the second start to be higher. I think the low voltage theory still needs to be looked into. VW Touaregs apparently can experience spurrious system faults due to bad batteries. Time to get out your digital voltmeters and check your battery voltage. Let the car sit overnight. Fully charged is 12.65V.
  • jsfmdjsfmd Member Posts: 4
    Would appreciate getting this info also. Email is jsfmd@optonline.net. Thanks.
  • go4snowgo4snow Member Posts: 9
    My dealer told me to turn the key to the first position and wait for about 3 seconds (until the system check light clears) before starting. His theory was that there were servos that need to self test during the start-up process. If they did not complete their routine before the engine was started, the system would fail and give you the corresponding light. The fix seemed to work for me. I never had a failure if I paused between turning the key and starting.
  • td4td4 Member Posts: 5
    Hi John,

Can you please send me the details on the setup screen. My info is on profile

TIA,

TD4
  • webbuzzwebbuzz Member Posts: 36
    Micaheal

Has your wiper been fixed?

My new/replacement LR3 is doing this, never had a problem on the first one. Also, it seems that the rear lift-gate takes some force to close properly.

Thanks

Bill
  • oferlioferli Member Posts: 3
    I had bought a Refrigerator (Waco, 50L), which I would like to connect on the rear. The 12V accessory connector has power only while the switch is turn ON.

It seem that there are two “bad” alternatives to connect it directly to the Battery.
    1. Throw the firewall and all the way under the doors frame.
    2. Below the car and try to find a way up throw the rear wing.

Does anyone have better idea or any other tips?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Do bear in mind that 12 volt refrigerators and coolers have a pretty high current draw and will drain the vehicle battery very quickly unless the engine is running.

If you really need to have it operating without the engine running I'd consider a second battery (deep cycle) installed with an isolator.
    Bill,

Has your wiper been fixed?

My new/replacement LR3 is doing this, never had a problem on the first one. Also, it seems that the rear lift-gate takes some force to close properly.

I fixed it myself with some oil. As for the lift gate, it depends whether the car is open or closed. Use some force when the car is otherwise closed.
  • hung3hung3 Member Posts: 28
    Hi all,

Wonder if you guys had tried out the wiper on the front windshield. Since I live in CA (sunny all the time) I only got to try that out recently. And I have found it is making quite a loud noice from the rubber rubbing the glass even when rain was heavy. Since my car is still in the shop for HDC and other fix, I have asked the dealer to look at the wiper as well.
    Is this normal? please advise your comment.
  • frankrifrankri Member Posts: 3
    I love my new LR3 (250 miles) unfortunately I experienced the stall factor for the first time on Sunday, e-mailed the dealer, stop by the dealer on Monday, they took me right in, made a computer adjustment (1/2 hour) drove off. NO problem. The dealer service was excellent, they were aware of the problem and appeared to know the solution. I guess the northeast knows how to treat their customers.
  • threeputtthreeputt Member Posts: 19
    There's this product I use on all my wipers called 303 Wiper Blade Conditioner. Or something like that. I know it's made by 303. I get it through my detail shop, and I've seen it at several online detail shops. It comes in single use, pre-moistened little foam wipes, sort of like one of those little wet napkins they give you at a ribs or chicken wings joint. I live in FL where it rains all the time and this stuff works like a champ. I do all my blades after each washing.........Jeff
  • norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    Got my HSE Silver/Alpaca this weekend! Turned in my Disco II and I love the new LR3, its amazing compared to the Disco, nothing wrong with the Disco, infact it a more "butch" feeling truck. But the LR3 is so refined and solid feeling. My only regret is not getting the 7 seat model. The dealer didn't have many HSE's to choose from and I just got lucky I got the color combo I wanted. I took advantage of the early lease termination on my Disco so I couldn't wait to order one. Oh well, next time. My disco didn't have the 7 seat option either so I probably won't miss it.

I'm thinking of getting the mudflaps, side door molding and a cargo tray.
  • webbuzzwebbuzz Member Posts: 36
    hung3 - No problems with windshield wipers for me, they work as they should.
  • landy manlandy man Member Posts: 39
    I bought the side mouldings for our LR-3 when we took delivery but I prefer putting these things on myself...only problem is that there does not appear to be any reference as to height in the instructions. I can only guess based on the photos in the accessories catalog. Can anyone who had the dealer install advise of height from the bottom of the door? Thanks.
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    My wipers make noise when there is barley any rain on the windshield. I believe the rain sensor is too sensitive as I have dialed back the intermittent feature as far back as I can.

The only way to bypass the problem is to bypass the intermittent feature. The next time I go in for service I plan to have the dealer look at it. Its not a big problem but for this kind of $$$ they should work perfectly.
    You may have to polish your windshield, that usually causes the chatter and smearing on windshields. I use glass polish (Zaino) and it makes the glass buttery smooth and very clean. Makes the wipers work effortlessly. The glass is probably the most neglected, we wax polish and shine the paint, but the glass takes just as much abuse and all people usually do is clean it.
  • gwellandgwelland Member Posts: 23
    Hmm, I've had a few similar situations now.

1) Audio system locked out and wouldn't work at all. Stopped and removed key & retired several times but still failed. NAV screen dead. Drove to the dealer immediately as I was nearby. Parked, discussed with tech. Put key in ignition. Everything worked again!!! Grrr....

2) Parked at night. Got in vehicle, key in & everything starts as usual (lights/wipers etc as it was raining). Turned ignition and there was a loud click and total power cut-off. Everything. After several retries I left it for a minute or so whereupon the damn thing started as if nothing had happened.

3) Car parked in garage unlocked. Got in an put key in ignition - everything powers up as expected. Turn ignition key - nothing, nada, zilch!!! The red led on the left that flashes for the alarm being armed is still flashing as if the key isn't in the ignition or the security system is active. I press the remote to unlock several times. Still doesn't work. I lock/unlock multiple times. Still doesn't work. I ponder which hammer to attack the LR3 with in rage and try again. It starts flawlessly as if nothing had happened.

I also have a coolant level warning that isn't. LR ordered a new expansion tank and sensor as apparently it isn't registering correctly.

So, I'm seeing a trend here ... I'm hoping all of my previous LR & RR prejudices are going to be proved wrong but I'm sensing that LR still have some of the quality/design issues that made me avoid them in the past in favor of BMW.

Now what's really annoying me at the moment is just how able this thing is ... this is from it's maiden 20 mile round-trip through deep virgin snow.

I ordered the mudflaps and side molding. Can't wait to get them on. Also got the front windows tinted and it finishes the look of the car, I think. I'm also thinking about getting a clear bra type film put on the highly painted front.

So far so good, almost at the magic 500 miles so I can start really driving it.
    I see two main faults here:

- Water getting into wiring looms etc - this is potentially a big issue as it is likely to hurt us all later (when warranty is over). I've had my wiring loom replaced and "super-insulated with grease". How long will that hold up??

- Computer/startup problems. Much less problematic as these can probably be solved mainly with software fixes. Also, you can avoid these issues: turn the key part of the way, until the lights come on; then wait a few seconds until starting. That appears to make a difference.

-Michael
    I really don't like the sound of the first issue at all. If there is some faulty design wrt wiring loom, and hence a catastrophic electrical failure looms (no pun intended) ahead... then we're just waiting for the other shoe to fall. That sounds like a most ridiculous solution?! insulated with Grease?

Where is this wiring loom, why are the connectors so exposed to the weather???
  • hung3hung3 Member Posts: 28
    Hi All,

Just picked up my car from the dealer this morning (HDC and misc fixes). Feeling happy and all, try not to think about the unpleasant experiences we had since it reached 500 miles mark.

I am pretty optimistic about the fix this time as the dealer had it for a week and did a lot of test drive and ran the EUC tests of the car.

Will update again.
    I really don't like the sound of the first issue at all. If there is some faulty design wrt wiring loom, and hence a catastrophic electrical failure looms (no pun intended) ahead... then we're just waiting for the other shoe to fall. That sounds like a most ridiculous solution?! insulated with Grease?
    Where is this wiring loom, why are the connectors so exposed to the weather???

Agreed - this is potentially a big issue. But all we need LR to do is to fix it, then retroactively apply that fix to existing trucks (rather than just apply grease). Stay tuned... I am sure it is within LR's abilities to fix this and prevent reoccurance, and I believe that they are honest and aboveboard. So I await a new wiring loom design.

I had my issue after torrential rain on the wa yback from Texas. Who else has driven through heavy, torrential, 8 hour long rain in th elast few months? Have you experienced issues with random suspension failures or anything else electronic since?

--Michael
    Michael, I have driven thru pretty solid continuous rain here in the SF bay area over the past 3 weeks. That's why I am worried. I have had only a single flaky radio/nav startup issue about 10 days ago, but nothing since then.
  • xiaodongxiaodong Member Posts: 39
    The problem that I had with erratic engine oil pressure warning light early this year was due corrosion on wire somewhere near front passenger footwell.

There were a few hours heavy raining during the trip to and back from Orlando before the new year. On the report it said moiseture got into wire loom through drainage from roof. Technicians rearranged the drainage, changed wire and greased up the area.

A more moisture resistent design of wire loom is necessary for long term good.
    I discussed my issues with the senior LR tech and he confirmed that they are having problems with water & wiring loom. He suggested that they were aware of a potential problem with rain water causing problems after running down from the A-Pillars somewhere (sorry I don't have specifics yet - LR3 in again on Monday so maybe I'll find out more).

The two major failures were either in or after significant rain. However, I've been through snow, deep water, mud etc but nothing happened after those trips. The good news is that the dealer is treating it as a safety issue - I emphasised that I use the LR3 to go off into the wilderness and not to just pick up lattes or the school run - if it fails, I'm stuck for a while.

Perhaps Lucas, the Prince of Darkness' ghost is still with us?
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    Norbn,

Thanks for the info I will try the product.
  • freeflytimfreeflytim Member Posts: 20
    This is what I call my Disco/LR3's wipers-

Intermittently Randomly Variable Rain Sensing Sometimes Too Often Automatic Windshield Wipers.

Dialing back the intermittent feature does no good. I think that is a mistake in the owners manual. I think the real reason it has a 'dial' is for markets w/o the sensor and you have to set the delay manually. Im going to experiment as the dealer can turn off the sensor and make the dial on the stalk set the delay. Somedays I like the sensor, some days I don't know what its thinking!

They do have good coverage and the blades look kewl.
    Mine appear to work nearly perfectly. There have been only once or twice that they have wiped without really enough moisture. But otherwise, they nicely come on and off appropriately in times of light drizzle or spray coming off of cars. I'm pretty satisfied with the wiper AI :)
    A more moisture resistent design of wire loom is necessary for long term good.

I think a redesign of the car is necessary, so that water does not come in near the cables. I am not sure I am happy with a car that (as mine now does too) has a greased up wiring loom... that grease should only be a last resort, and not the primary water protection mechanism.
  • xiaodongxiaodong Member Posts: 39
    Agreed.
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    Went to my dealer to check on my LR3-HSE order - bad news....delivery is postponed until at least late July instead of May. The order was done Feb. 28. Good thing is, maybe I'll get one with those pesty "bugs" killed-off. Of course, if it takes much longer, I'll have a year old car to strat with ??? Happy Rovering to you all...
    Are people still ordering the LR3? My dealer had probably 40 LR3's on his lot. Mine was a 2/05 build, so its a recent build.
    Did your dealer lot included HSE's? There seems to be no problem sourcing SE5/SE7 with various levels of specification but there were virtually no HSE's available recently. Maybe this has changed.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    HSEs are still fairly rare compared to SEs. If you really don't need the 19" wheels, the slightly higher-end stereo & 8-way memory driver's seat/mirrors... it'll be much easier to find an SE with the options you want.
    And as you said before, this grease hack just ensures that the wire loom corrosion is put off till just after the warranty expires. I am going to get mine as wet as I can possibly make it... see if I can cause this problem to occur.
    I have to believe that LR will come up with a better solution than grease and then I'll make sure to get retrofitted with it.
  • simba1simba1 Member Posts: 4
    Viewing all the comments, LR3 has many problems, the most serious being sudden tripping of the engine, starting up the car, etc.

This car should really be considered a lemon. The Land rover should recall this cars and fix all the major problems especially those related to safety.

I think the price of this car does not reflect quality
    I hear you, but the other revealing conclusion from the comments, is that the car is otherwise a dream to drive on and offroad. It really does accomplish its core mission very well. So people aren't very willing to give the car back and get something else... they really want the LR3 and they just want it to be reliable. The reliability may not justify the price, but the quality and design sure do.
    does someone have a pic of what this thing looks like, perhaps a pic of the corroded part... ? Also where exactly is this loom/harness located on the LR3??
    All over, but 'my corrosion' was under the rear of the car. And as for gel vs grease: maybe silicone (not silicon!) gel, maybe grease: either way neither should be needed. I am sure LR will come up with a fix before tehy all start failing - the car is worth it!