Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• therealjohntherealjohn Member Posts: 7
    What a small world this really is! I still feel bad because you had to wait so long to get your HSE and I just walked in and they had the HSE that I wanted right on the lot. You seem like a pretty nice guy and I wish that I would have been more friendly that day, sorry about that. I just wish that I wasn't buying another vehicle so soon. I'm throwing away thousands on the piece of Infiniti that I used to drive.

My email address is listed in my profile here so, if you ever want to write me and get together to race through mud or take our respective dogs swimming, let me know.

Very nice talking to you Kevin,
    John
  • therealjohntherealjohn Member Posts: 7
    I suggest that you see autospies.com if you want the real "dirt" on upscale vehicles. One thing that they said years ago that I've never forgot is that the dealer is usually the last person to learn about problems with vehicles. They are usually the last to know when new vehicles will come out too.

Sometimes, for fun, I go to dealerships and just test drive what's new or old and ask many questions as to what's going to come and I've only met a handful of salesmen that actually knew something. My land Rover guy was very helpful and is on the list of "guys in the know".
  • norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    Me too, I got lucky and they had the combo that I liked available when I turned in my Discovery. Although I would have settled for an SE with the right options, I am glad I got the HSE for not much more.

Am really loving this truck, its the most solid feeling car I've ever owned, it just goes over bumps and ruts like they weren't there, very very quiet inside and very very smooth to boot!
  • norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    One thing for sure, the 2006 will probably cost more than the 2005.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    I doubt prices will change; it's already overpriced in this market. They've already stated the '05 & '06 LR3 V6 will be priced the same... but that's always subject to change.

Only "new" feature that has a pretty good chance for '06 is optional factory satellite radio (Sirus), as the '06 Range Rover Sport offers this.

I'd expect August to be the approximate month they start stamping them '06... which is pretty much a year after the pre-launch LR3 builds. I wouldn't expect significant changes or improvements.
  • rcdohrcdoh Member Posts: 7
    You scared me as my HSE that I ordered in Dec. was due in in May. Contacted the dealer and its due in the week of May 15. Hopefully thats true. There have been so many reasons stated for the delay. I think the truest one is that the demand for this vehicle, and now the RR Sport, is just more than the LR factory can produce. Its just one factory. My only suggestion is that they stop the SE production as the dealers have these on the lot and build the back ordered HSEs before people get tired of waiting.
  • bjsbenzbjsbenz Member Posts: 14
    We now have had our SE7 for 4 months and 3500 miles. We love this truck!!!! It drives like no other SUV (when I get to borrow it from my wife) and function wise it's unmatched. And even though I just brought it in to the dealer to fix the Heat/AC (doesn't work for 2-3 minutes upon start up and no air flow from the floor vents) and the Radio (all of the lights are on but no sound from the speakers...happended twice) I am so satisfied with the decision to buy it. I expected a few glitches so this hasn't fazed me in the least. Best Truck out there!!!! :)
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    this is an old post I realise, but I have to ask. why were you not in snow mode to begin with (once you realised and acknowledged the white slippery stuff on the ground was snow), instead of waiting until you were stuck?
    Hello,

I am actually more interested in the RRS, but since the RRS and the LR3 share platform commonality, I need to ask my question here. The LR3 messageboard is a little overwhelming in size and though I have viewed several pages, I have not been able to answer my question. The question is, have any LR3 owners experienced EAS collapsing to the stops as Range Rovers are noted for? Any and all responses are invited and appreciated.

Mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can Search This Discussion for EAS and at least one post shows up:

karpaydm, "Land Rover LR3" #1234, 3 Feb 2005 4:48 pm

Steve, Host
    thank-you steve, very disheatening.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, if you do a search for suspension, it won't cheer you up much. But stay tuned - you know the problem is being addressed by the engineers.

Steve, Host
  • flownerflowner Member Posts: 42
    Bad news to report. The.suspension got worse as the week went on. The car is almost bouncing like in a rap video. Stays in access mode all the time. To add insult to injury I was given a rental car that makes all sort of noise when you accelerate and the rear left turn signal is out.

I've contact the service manger with my complaint...let's see how the handle it.
  • rea9390rea9390 Member Posts: 19
    I've read some info on the expedition rack that was less than flattering. Wanted to find out what most people are planning on using. I'm leaning toward the Yakima system. Any other thoughts?

Anyone heard if any tire mfg might make an AT type tread tire in the 18" size to fit the SEs? :confuse:
  • jblr3jblr3 Member Posts: 5
    I ordered an HSE in December. Dealer could not locate an HSE that I was looking for - White with black interior so I ordered one. First, the due date was late March. Then it was pushed back to May or June. I asked the dealer to try and locate an HSE that met my specs thinking that one might have come available since the initial order in Dec. The service and communication skills at that dealership were terrible. They didn't check on inventory for several days so I called another dealer a couple weeks ago who located an HSE exactly as I wanted within 45 minutes of my call. I had the car in my driveway within a few days.

If you're not happy with your dealership, shop around. And, if you gave a deposit for your order, it is fully refundable regardless what the dealer tells you.

Good luck
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    You may have seen these before, but I thought I would post them anyway.

• calbritcalbrit Member Posts: 24
    Dealers in Northern California have just had there last order calls for 2005 MY vehicles. Bay Area dealers could only order V6 LR3's. No V8 SE or V8 HSE. I know one store which still has 9 orders still to place. Two orders stretch back to July 2004, but the customers insist on the Bluetooth from the factory. The next oldest is from January. Just thought you guys might like to know.
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    I am pretty confident that at the bottom of the mud hole and the river crossing, there was a pretty hard base. I can guarantee you this truck would not gain traction in any soft mud base. It's not the 4wd system that's the problem, it's the unbelievably great road tires that are very poor in any sort of loose material.
    I've already got stuck in 8" of snow on top of asphalt... that's how weak these tires are in the snow. Mud would be a nightmare.
    Sand at 35psi feels like you have no steering control. If you plan to go in the dunes, reduce air pressure all around to no more than 30psi. At 30, the steering and traction felt much improved, but I felt I could still get stuck if I stopped in the soft stuff..

So the moral of the story is don't be going through mud bogs and slow down... you may very well get stuck fast. Bring a winch!

How I wish we can get ahold of some MTRs for less than $600 apiece!!!!
    One of the reasonns some dealers may be reluctant to Dealer Exchange (DX) a vehicle is this thing called "holdback". I believe holdback amounts to a percentage of invoice, I am unsure as to the relative percentage points, but as I recall from my car selling days, it did not amount to big dollars, but some dealerships hated losing it anyway. If the DX was of equal value, no big deal, it would be a wash. But if there was not a DX of equal value or the dealership initiating the DX did not have anything the other dealership wanted, then the DX'ing dealer would have to purchase from an invoice up pricepoint. As you can imagine, especially in these early days of LR3 distribution, no dealership is going to sell his MSRP worthy vehicle to anyone at invoice, even another dealership. Locating a vaehicle is one thing, bringing it in can be quite another.

Not condoning or defending, merely adding to the discussion. I suppose the moral of the story is do your own searching of Land Rover dealership inventories, you may have a better chance of getting what you want-sooner.
    I hope someone has an answer to this. Does the vehicle have to be stopped, before I could change the terrain setting? Also, if the vehicle is in normal on road setting, and I come upon a severe rain storm, would you leave it in the normal on road setting (since rain does not have a category) or would you utilize the grass, gravel, snow setting? Inquiring minds would really like to know :confuse:
    Steve, they have had over a decade to address this. It's the same EAS problem that plaques the RR present and at least the previous generation RR. That's 13 years of addressing right there. But I'm still pulling the trigger on a RRS HSE!
    Land Rover dealerships are quite unique compared to others out there is the way they work together. Due to a relatively limited pool of vehicles to circulate, most dealers happily swap like for like vehicles with each other. The invoice pricing of the cars is not the issue, nor is holdback. The issue is desirability. Most dealers will not swap an HSE for an SE in return. Same thing often with Nav and non-Nav cars. The other stuff like Cold Climate, Tow, Heavy-Duty and so forth don't matter too much.
    The Terrain Response allows shift on the move ability. If you were however moving from Road setting to the Rock crawl, you would have to select neutral and engage the Low gear and then put it into drive again.

In torrential rain, the Road mode will be fine. It is still set up to operate the Traction Control devices on the vehicle as well as the Dynamic Stability Control. If you were driving through, streams of water and are unsure of the surface you are driving on, and felt the LR3 engaging the traction control frequently, then I would select the slippery surface or mud ruts setting. Hope this helps. I believe the handbook covers some of this but have to check.
    calbrit, thanks for the explanation on Terrain Assist, I'll pursue further info in my owners manual when I accept delivery on my RRS HSE.

I also want to thank you for clearing up the holdback perspective I had on DX's between Land Rover dealerships. That level of cooperation is indeed unique in the dealer distribution network. Would you support the idea that a buyer should perform their own searches for the very reason you stated-Land Rover dealerships will not exchange unequal LR3's?

I am looking forward to joining this unique and stalwart Land Rover owners club!
    It is available with the following:

'A' Frame Protection bar

Driving lamps

WARN winch

Roof rack

Front lamp guards

Rear lamp guards

Door rubbing strips

Raised air intake (G4 specific)

Rear access ladder (G4 specific)

Goodyear tires (G4 specific)

here is a link to Land Rover pictures

Land Rover pictures
  • doctorpdoctorp Member Posts: 15
    What is "G4 specific"?
    Why can't I get any answers to posted questions? :(

Not having a good off-road tire available for my LR3 is a bummer. That's the one thing I did not look into prior to buying.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Maybe no one has the specific answers on racks you need...............don't take it personally!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's entirely possible no one here has a specific answer to your question. However, you seem to be asking about tires while your questions was contained in a post with only "roof racks" in the title. That may cause some to skip over it and not even read your question. Try again!

tidester, host
    I think Land Rover has some "G4 Challenge" event. I couldn't find a lot of information on it, though.
  • jjgghhjjgghh Member Posts: 13
    You found a Yakima system to fit the LR3? Can you tell me which one...I'm having trouble finding something for my kayaks. Thanks.
    The Yakima site shows an application that works with th factory rails.(control towers and then add whatever bars, racks, etc... I already have a gear basket, bars, and locks. I am thinking of just buying new control towers and I'll be done.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    No one replied to my earlier posting about tire sizes either. Here it is again. What do you think??

I looked up some more robust off-road capable tires that might fit the 18 inch LR3's. There are a few choices, but the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV looked like a good compromise between quietness and off-road capability. It comes in a P265/70R18 size that would be 32 inch diameter instead of the normal 30 inch diameter P265/60R18. I know this would alter the speedo and gearing about 7 percent. It would also add 1 inch of ground clearance. Has anybody done this yet?
    Would a 2 inch bigger diameter tire still fit in the spare tire carrier?
  • landy manlandy man Member Posts: 39
    Meant to post this - - in response to the car stalling again (and third service trip for this problem - it had about 6500 miles), my dealer (Parsippany) downloaded the software update AND replaced the fuel tank. Interestingly, our gas mileage went from a dismal 12-13 MPGs to about 17. The thing indeed does seem to have a better cruising range.
    Information about Land Rover's G4 Challenge: http://www.landroverg4challenge.com
    thanks for the info...I'll look into it. :)
    thanks for the cool Land Rover off-road link.
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    For those who purchased the Navigtion package and the Lighing package, do you feel it was worth the money? Was it a "must have"?

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • flownerflowner Member Posts: 42
    The lighting package is deffinitely worth it. The extra bright light helps on dark roads. The rain sensors for the wiper blades make a big difference. It used to drive me nuts having to mess with the wipe speed all the time. The fog light help when it's foggy.

Navigation my wife loves it and thinks it's worth the money. I still think it's quirky and rather expense at $2700. I might love it more if it cost $1350
  • webbuzzwebbuzz Member Posts: 36
    I agree with flowner.

The thought of "what if" has been plaguing me over the past few months regarding the Nav/Entertainment system. For a little bit more $$, I could have done an aftermarket Nav/Entertainment system that would give the LR3 system some stiff competition.
  • bonattihsebonattihse Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    I have been following what I can of this forum for about a month or so now, since I helped my parents decide on a Bonatti Grey HSE LR3. (If anybody is interested, our dealer also had only two HSEs among almost a sea of SEs, and my mother really preferred the higher end stereo) Anyways, I was wondering if someone who has been following the forum longer than I could summarize the problems I should make sure are fixed or at least see that the dealer is aware of before taking delivery? So far, this is what I gather (major ones anyways)
    1. Stalling issue. This is a computer fault I guess?
    2. Suspension failure.
    3. Wires exposed to the elements (i.e. in water channels)
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    When you speak of the "Lighting Package" are you just talking about the headlights that move as the car turns or fog lights mounted on the front? I thought that the adaptive lighting package was only differentiated by the fact that they move with the car. If you don't get the package, do you forgo the bi-xenon lights all together???
  • dougie1dougie1 Member Posts: 4
    The lighting package which includes the bi-xenon headlights and the front fog lights is standard on the HSE. However it does not include the adaptive headlights which is an option. So if you do not get the adaptive lighting package you will still have the bi-xenon headlights standard on the HSE and on the lighting package on the SE's.
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    What was Land Rover thinking when they put the Aux jack in the back seat for an IPOD or other MP3 player? Makes no sense to me. I read on CNET that Alpine is working on "Intelligent adapter", that will allow the IPOD to intelligently interface with the factory LR3 sound system.

For now I am going with the Belkin adapter and Proclip mounts.

http://nytimes.com.com/4520-6022_1-6152563-8.html

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=144&pageid=8924&processor=content&pcategoryid=13130- &categoryid=14180&p_origin=144&p_sectionid=144&p_pageid=8901&p_processor=asp&p_asp_process- or=product&p_action=proclipcategorysearch&p_ppagecategoryid=13872&p_pagecategoryid=14172&p- _pcategoryid=13130&p_categoryid=14180&p_sitecategoryid=&p_year=
    At least it does have an "aux" jack... it's fairly rare.

Don't believe everything you read. Yes, Alpine has shown a MOST interface for an iPod (at SEMA)... but it would require Land Rover to add specific support for it. Do you expect the head unit that can't even display track info (CD Text or MP3 tag info) to have direct iPod support? :P
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    As my previous posts have indicated my wife and I love our LR3. That being said, after 5000 miles, we have had our first problem.

I took the LR3 into the dealership last weekend to make sure all the fluids were ok and to get an oil change. The car had no problems at all.

Then this weekend, I hit a pothole hard. Since then, the horn keeps going on and won't shut off. The first couple times, I kept hitting the horn until it went off. This morning, it went on and would not go off. Land Rover is towing it now. [While the neighbors hold their ears.]

I will tell everyone what the details are after LR looks at it.
  • washparkhornwashparkhorn Member Posts: 2
    I just bought one for my wife - SE in Bonatti with Alpaca. Got the cold climate, Nav, heavy duty, 7 seats, tow package, rear park distance control and rear climate control. She is very happy and loves the truck (she was driving a BMW X5).

The decision to buy another Land Rover was tougher for me - I had a 97 Disco that probably caused the world's oil shortage with the neverending leaks. I swore I would never buy another one, but did my research, checked this board, and test drove one. It is a very different truck from the Disco I. Much more power and better handling are the two biggest surprises. I took my Disco all over Colorado 4wd roads - the LR3 is such a beautiful truck, it is hard to imagine it out in the wilderness.

So far, so good. I can almost say "Land Rover" without a twitch developing in my left eye. ;)

Thanks to all the contributors for their comments; they helped me with this buying decision.
  • hung3hung3 Member Posts: 28
    just want to give you guys an update on the progress.

Basically the car has been in the shop for 2.5 weeks now (4th time for the same problem HDC,BREAK, ABS, TRANSMISSION and SUSPENSION FAULT). The service manager has been updating to us 2-3 times a week. Basically after intensive research and back and forth with the regional manufacturer engineer, they found some cable grounding problem, as a result the faulty lights came on.
    Apprently they fixed the grounding issue which as they claimed has resolved the initial problem. However the engine check light came on after this fix, they are awared/experienced of the "engine check light" problem and had ordered some new cables for replacement. Will keep you informed once car is back in our possession.

Heard from the service manager, It seems like the manufacturer is willing to offer extended warranty (1 year/12,000mile), or one month payment of our car loan as reimbursement of our inconvenience. I will contact LR corp. again tomorrow and see what exactly I can get out of them.
  • bouldersboulders Member Posts: 18
    My dealer recently installed the front fog lamps on my new LR3 but my excitement was a bit tempered when the service manager informed me that they could only be turned on when my "brights" are on. I'm no expert but this seems a little strange to me. Does anyone know why this is so? Thanks :(:(:(
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Isn't that illegal? I thought the law required them to only be available with dipped, or low, beam.