Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    This just goes to reinforce the message that, at least for prospective LR purchasers, as much research should go into finding the right dealership as selecting the vehicle. Some posters have dealers that bend over backwards to make them happy while yours beggars belief!

Before you start blaming yourself for the paint damage let me ask you this, how do you know that the clearcoat hadn't been eaten through while the vehicle was standing around for three weeks at the dealership?

When you consider the market segment that LR aims for, it's hard to believe that LR corporate would be very amused to hear that one of their dealers returns customer vehicles without a complimentary car wash. Good grief, even my Jeep dealer manages that! :mad:
  • flownerflowner Member Posts: 42
    You are absolulty right. I have contacted LR to let them know in not happy with the level of service at this dealership:

Always a two week wait for appointments. Delays in the shop. Car returned with bird droppings and pollen.( I even mentioned the condition to the CSM). Delays in returning phone calls. Two week order time for parts.
  • jeff22jeff22 Member Posts: 3
    Our oil light came on at 600 miles but once the dealer got the car it wouldn't come back on. They replaced the sending unit. At 1200 miles it came on again and stayed on. They replaced the electrical panel. At 2600 miles it came on again and is currently in the shop. They dont know what is causing it. Out of the 50 days we have owned it. it has been in the shop for 15 days. This sucks. Also land rover only covers $24.00 a day on a rental car. So you get to drive a Chevy cavalier for the $ 50,000 grand you dropped on a Lr3. Bmw covers $50.00 a day. Please reply with any info and I will do the same. Thanks :mad:
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    Has anyone taken their LR3 in full on Sand conditions like Pismo Dunes or Glamis in California? Does anyone have any recommendations on airing down the tires? 10lbs per tire?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the SUV for Beach Sand discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • teldocteldoc Member Posts: 49
    Hey Jeff,
    Just dropped the beast off this morning and haven't heard yet. They gave me a Camry to drive which is what the guy before me dropping off his 911 got too, so I didn't complain. To date, our LR3 has performed nearly perfectly. We love the truck.

When your oil light came on, was it after the LR3 was exposed to water? In every case ours has done it, it was after a car wash or rain storm.

Good luck,
    David
    Hey david, My Wife called the dealer this morning to ask them about the water problem. They said they have never heard of this problem. My Wife also pointed out that the last time the light came on we had just washed it, but that we couldn't recall if we had washed it on the other occassions. The dealer just called and said they found some wires that were exposed under the dash from rubbing on a metal bracket and that this was the problem. Boy I hope so. Keep me posted.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    As far as the car wash > dash light connection, I printed out some posts from this site and left them with the dealer. The Service Writer said he never head of it but the Tech called it in to some LR internal support line and sure enough, he found the issue and the cure.

David
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    I have taken my LR3 HSE to Pismo. Posted about it earlier in this forum.
    Basically, just as in snow, the Goodyear Wrangler tires really perform poorly.
    Definitely turn off the DSC, it only makes bad matters worse.

The only way I prevented getting stuck fast is to let the tire pressure down from 35psi to about 25psi. That's quite a bit of air... and it did help quite a bit. But I have taken a Toyota 4wd with BFG Mud Terrains without any air pressure drop and had much more confidence in the traction at Pismo. These Goodyear tires are great on road and equally poor offroad.
    I love this truck's performance, but LR needs to really choose wheel designs which can support better offroad tire selection. What the heck are they thinking with these GOodyear Wranglers.... for offroad purposes, they may as well be racing slicks. Don't get aggressive in snow or mud either. I already got stuck twice in shallow snow.

I can't imagine how these tires would look at 10psi, but I don't think you need go that low. 20psi and you should be good.
    David,

We picked up our Lr3 today. It turned out that the bracket that holds the fuse box on the passenger side had a sharp edge and chaffed a few wires. I once again brought to his attention the water issue. He said he called the tech line and they said nothing about this issue and that he has never seen this issue. I also asked how many LR3's he has seen stall on an incline. He said they have 3 that have done it and the tech he talk's too thinks they are going to do a recall on the gas tanks. He recommended to not let the gas tank get less than a 1/4. Good luck with you car.

Jeff
  • gordongeckogordongecko Member Posts: 4
    After 3,000 miles, we had our first issue. While on a memorial day trip, my HSE wouldn't start. The starter sounded fine, but wouldn't start. The message center said to check brake pads. This was Friday night of the Memorial Day weekend, 200 miles from home. Called LR hotline and agreed to have it towed the next morning. They told me they would pay for the hotel and rental car.

When the shop opened after the long weekend, the service manager called with the diagnosis: Need new fuel pump and the brake pad sensors needed to be replaced. Sounded strange, but they're the experts.

While in the shop, I had them look at a couple of other things:
    The left vent didn't close: it was stuck open - fixed
    The CD player ran no matter what mode I was in, if I went back to CD, the track or CD was in a different spot. They said it was still in travel mode. fixed.

All covered under warranty. My truck is 200 miles away, they said they will have a driver bring it to me and pick up the rental.

It was a rough start to a long road trip, but the trip continuance was great and the dealer in Glenwood Springs, Colorado was very helpful.

I'll post if there are any other issues.
  • td4td4 Member Posts: 5
    I went to pick up my new caravan today but found that the turn indicators were malfunctioning, so the car is back to LR dealer tomorrow while the caravan is still at the manufacturer's factory.

When brake's were applied they lit up on the caravan as normal, when turn indicators were activated in the car the correct indicator flashed on and off as normal on car and caravan however when the turn indicators were returned to the centre position in the car no indicator lights were flashing on the car but on the caravan first one side then the other side would flash, this was a constant repetition like a strobe light continuously flashing on and off at a rate of once every half second or there about.

The trailer wiring is standard fitment for LR Australia and the electric brake controller was wired by LR dealership as per LR Tech Support instructions.

I suspect it is the onboard diagnostics checking for a blown bulb that is causing the problem. Don’t know what the fix is, that’s where you guys come in, all advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

TD4
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    "The CD player ran no matter what mode I was in, if I went back to CD, the track or CD was in a different spot. They said it was still in travel mode. fixed"

If you have an HSE, next time verify one of your rear passenger controls isn't set to CD. (Plug a headphone in and listen.) Switch them to another non-CD source, like AUX. The system is designed to allow them to play CD, even if the front is playing something else or even off. Sadly, there is no "master off" or control lockout... which is very needed if you have kids. Bad Land Rover.
  • reeveswestreeveswest Member Posts: 3
    On March 9, I picked up my new LR3/HSE. Within a month, I would get periodic occurrences of several warning lights (ABS TC and Transmission warning). On May 2, I returned the vehicle to the dealer and they found an error code but could not duplicate the problem. The problem kept occurring and each time it would happen, the suspension would drop into ACCESS height. I returned the vehicle to the dealer on May 16 and left it for a week while I was away. When I returned, they told me that a part was on order (differential) and that it would be installed by May 23 (which it was). No problems until May 28, when the problem occurred again. I returned the vehicle to the dealer on May 29, where they have diagnosed the problem as another bad differential. As of today, a new differential is being installed. Needless to say, this does not give me a very good feeling about starting any long trips.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    I have looked into some more aggressive tires for the LR3 SE.

I found the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S in th size LT275/65R18. This tire would be 32 inch diameter (2 inches bigger diameter and about 3/4 inch wider than stock). I believe it would fit underneath in the spare tire carrier if it was aired down or if the heat shields near the muffler were bent a bit, but I haven't tried it. This tire would also raise the ground clearance by an inch. I'm not sure how it would affect acceleration, but with a 6 speed I doubt it would matter much. At 3000 rpm with the original tires, these tires would drop the rpm to 2812 for the same speed. And the speedo would be off by 4 mph at 60 mph (actual speed 64 at indicated 60). I am not sure if this tire would have adequate clearance in the wheel wells.

Slightly less aggressive than the Wrangler AT/S, but still more aggressive than the stock tire is the Toyo Open Country A/T in the 285/60R18 size. This tire is 1.48 inches bigger in diameter and 1.3 inches wider than stock and might fit in the spare tire carrier without airing down with a little shoving. It would raise the ground clearance by 3/4 inch, change the 3000 rpm speed to 2859, and the speedo from an indicated 60 mph to an actual 63. I am not sure how this tire would fit in the wheel wells.

Last, a fairly aggressive looking tire is the Nitto Terra Grappler in the 285/60 R18 size. This one is 1.38 inches bigger in diameter and 1.34 inches wider than stock, raising the ground clearance by 0.7 inches, dropping the 3000 rpm speed to 2868, and the speedo indicated 60 mph to 62.7.

Note that as these tires wear, the diameters would decrease up to about 3/4 inches less than when new by the time they are worn out. Thats about half of the increased diameter over the stock size. This just shows how much the speedo and rpm might change as a tire wears out.

Any comments? Has anybody tried these tires? If you do, please post your thoughts. My local Discount Tire only sells the Goodyear ones and said they'd mount one to try it in the spare tire carrier and wheel wells without charging me if they don't fit. I don't believe Toyo and Nitto are sold by Discount Tire.
    Hi lr3maybe,

There is also Coopers 18" tyres that are around the same size, however check your local state laws as to what is permitted in oversize tyres etc.

Your insurance company may not allow any claims if the tyres are not a legal size for your car. In my home state we are allowed to go 15mm (approx9/16") over size.
    My Disco 3 sends a 3v pulse to the trailer light circuits continuously to check if a bulb is blown, this is ok if you use ordinary 12v bulbs, as the 3v pulse will not activate them.

However there are two types of 12v LED tail lights being manufactured, one requires 12v to activate it and the other will activate on any voltage even the 3v pulse. My caravan has a mixture of these types, the brake lights only activate on 12v while the 3v pulse as well as the 12v are activating the turn indicators. The result is my caravan has strobing indicator lights even while the key is out of the ignition.

Solution as advised by LR Tech Support is to fit two 12v relays to the caravan. We now have to provide a pure 12v power supply for the other side of the relays and it cant come from the car. Life is fun isn’t it?
    :):) TD4 :):)
  • ypshanypshan Member Posts: 103
    reeveswest,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Please keep us posted.

Depending on where you are, you may be close to the limit of the Lemon law.
  • vtsailguyvtsailguy Member Posts: 10
    TD4,

You saved my sanity. I just contacted my dealer about the mysterious blinking trailer lights..even with the key out of the ignition. (My trailer has LED brake lights and 12V running lights so the brake lights were the only ones blinking.)

The Service Manager called me (very quickly) and told me that it was not "normal" and the he would take a look at it at my convienience. I am in no rush so I will have it taken care of (if they have a good solution) on some other visit.

Thanks for the post. I will forward this to them so they know what my problem is.
  • letterrepletterrep Member Posts: 12
    There have been times when I've ended a trip (short distance or long, it doesn't matter) with a CD playing. I'll park, turn off the engine without turning off the CD player, do whatever for varying lengths of time, re-enter the vehicle and turn it back on expecting the CD to start back up. When the audio system comes on, however, it's in Radio mode. Had it happened once or twice, I'd have thought I'd inadvertently hit the VR on the way out, or, maybe, I'd bumped the radio button in a rush or something, but this has happened 10 times in two months. It doesn't happen every time, though. That's what's strange...there doesn't seem to be a pattern...nor does it happen when one particular CD is played or a particular position is chosen.?.

Anyone seen this before? If so, is there a fix?
    What is the Land Rover address where feedback is taken seriously and won't be deleted or thrown away?
    "Land Rover Owners, please contact Land Rover by phone at 1-800-637-6837 or by completing and submitting the online inquiry form."

http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Company/contact_us/Contact%20Us.htm

All calls are tracked and product feedback, if given, should be passed to the appropriate group at Land Rover.

If it's a real "problem" issue, work with your dealer & service department. And escalate if necessary...
  • davidnycdavidnyc Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I too am having an issue with the suspension. It was fine for about a week. the I used Down Hill decent in upstate NY and the ride has been awful ever since. It jitters over 20 mph and i feel ever crack and bump. It is like and suspension is loose and there is no resistence... Any way dealer picked it up and service people looked at it and said it was fine. I called and said it certain was not fine (they loaner LR3 was noticeable different)...

Did you get your issue resolved - what happened?
    My issues seems to have been resolved. They do not sound similar to yours. On mine, the suspension fault light came on before any noticeable problems in the ride occurred. They replace compressor and a relay If they do any suspension work make sure the check the alignment. It may save you trip back to the dealer. I had to send mine back to get aligned.
    They may be unrelated, but I'll list the odd occurrences I've had, in case others have seen this combination before:

Beginning maybe a month or so ago, I noticed that when I started my SE for the first time, almost every day the ignition would fire and then for just a moment, maybe half a second, the engine would bog slightly, then would come up completely and idle fine. No problems ever emerged beyond that.

This morning, the same thing occurred. However today, I pulled the LR out of the garage and put it in park. While in park, I noticed it was running very rough and that it was vibrating and trembling more noticeably than usual. While still in park, I mashed the accelerator, slowly at first and then to the floor, and the engine failed to rev above 2500rpms. I moved the stick to drive and pressed the accelerator as before. Same response...the rpms failed to reach above 2500. I drove around the block and nothing changed. I shut it off and restarted it. The info screen read 'Engine System Fault'. I returned the LR to the garage, parked it, turned it off and left it while I ran my errands in the wife's car. When I got back home, I tried it again. This time there was no fault message and although it ran rougher than normal, it did allow itself to accelerate above Limp Mode. I called LR and had it towed...no need to take chances. I let the dealer know that the gremlin failed to appear on subsequent startings and that service may be chasing their tails.

If I left any detail out, it may be that I played with the audio system at some point after I put it in park the first time. I remember having to turn off the sound to hear the strange rumbling the LR was making. I though this might be significant since, as I understand it, software updates are loaded through the CD player. If the audio is tied to the engine system somehow, an audio system bug might somehow affect the engine operation...who knows?

I don't know if the engine bog and this Limp Mode thing are related. Anybody seen either of these before? Any suggested fixes?

Thanks in advance.
    Letterrep,
    We had something similar......on warm starts, our LR3 would sometimes idle really rough while backing out of the garage. We didn't get any report on the info screen though. Once, it even died as my wife put it in reverse.

The dealer was overnighted a software upgrade and they installed it, and that seemed to do the trick. Hasn't happened since.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "After conducting our road test, we considered it one of the best SUVs in the midsize class. Now it's time for a tougher test. We recently bought our own LR3 SE and plan to keep it for at least a year to see if its charm will hold up."

Long-Term Test: 2005 Land Rover LR3

Steve, Host
  • bobokerboboker Member Posts: 2
    Sold my LR3 HSE with 4800 miles. Lost about $8,000 and feel great about it. The SUV was great when it worked properly; however, that was very rare. If rattles, vibrations, poor gas milage and weekly visitts to the service department won't bother you then get one, otherwise wait until they figure it out. It is a shame, the SUV has great potential.
    boboker, you lost $8K on a lemon vehicle that is obviously less than 8 months old? The vehicle lemon law (which does exists in Florida) should have protected you quite easily.

On the flip side, I have one of the earliest LR3 HSEs and I have had no real issues.
  • roverdawgroverdawg Member Posts: 30
    boboker,

Sorry to hear about your experience with your LR3. I've put 8,000 miles on my HSE over 5 months and love this car. Not familiar with your particular situation or how the lemon law failed you, but will search past posts. Again, condolences....
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    Got over 14k on my HSE and no problems. Did you try to address the problems & what was the result if you did?

Grommet what say your "friends" at LRNA?
    johnmajor, I have no idea what you are trying to ask. :confuse: I have had no real issues with my LR3.
  • brugrebrugre Member Posts: 4
    My wife found the LR3 in early october. Our dealer, LR Las Vegas, was very straight forward; no discount, no pack! I drive an Audi TT so I didn't really understand the truck. The only argument I made to my wife was "new english car." I had a TR3 in college, enough said. The dealer called a few days later to say an hse with the right equipment was purchased for dec. delivery. No choice of color, black pearl, but in time for 2004 tax write off. The car arrived right on time. there have been no unusual problems, replace cd player that skipped, had rear parktronic volume turned up - it is adjustable. We traded a 2001 A6 that I loved , but it had a steady stream of warranty repairs, and it wasn't first year! Our climate in Las Vegas may never expose us to most of the posted problems, but even I have enjoyed highway trips, plenty of passing power in manumatic mode. I do believe in this day and age the gas mileage is ridiculous! Did someone mention a software upgrade that improved mileage? This is the favorite car my has ever had,she even parks it away from other cars. MY advice is if the price range is right for,you go for it, and the HSE is worth the extra money!
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    Well, after a 6-month wait I finally got my LR3 HSE !! I've had it now for 3 weeks and it's great - no issues yet whatsoever..mileage has been 16.xx mixed, and 18.xx highway. Went to a LR event yesterday at the Hummer test track - and the LR3 just ate it up - totally uneventful. Mud pit, tank trap, moguls, hill climb, etc - no problem at all - TC did not even kick-in that I know of - at least I did not hear it. HDC worked great. Some DII's had problems, but that was due to driver stupidity.

Quality and build are excellent. I've so far added rear light guards, mud flaps, rubber mats, side moldings, and sill tread plates. Wood dash kit is next. Not sure about brush-guard yet - I hate to cut into that pretty face. The "Tonga green" and beige interior look fabulous.

Good luck and enjoy the BEST all around SUV there is..I know, I've had many !!
    "I do believe in this day and age the gas mileage is ridiculous!" & "Did someone mention a software upgrade that improved mileage?"

If you are close to the EPA estimate, there is no magic. Remember, the LR3 is ~5800 lbs. Heaviest in class. The mileage isn't ridiculous... it's actually pretty good considering the weight!
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    I have about 2,200 miles on my LR3. Did a short trip from San Francisco to Sacramento and back (flat driving) and got about 18.4 miles per gallon doing about 70-75 miles per hour. I am happy with the mileage considering the weight as noted in earlier post. My 2003 Discovery II barely got 16 MPG.

With a Yakima Roof rack the mileage drops about 1-2 MPG. I am using the Yakima Control towers which make it simple to remove the racks in about 5 minutes.
  • elarethreeelarethree Member Posts: 1
    that does not sound right. In a fog lamp situation the last thing you need is high beams. that would defeat the pupose.
  • ajn999ajn999 Member Posts: 16
    My company bought 2 LR3's in November. 1 is Black (the good one) and the other was White (the bad one) The "bad one" would lose all electric lights without notice. Try driving a car without any lights. After several service visits, the dealer agreed to take the car back (with 6,000 miles) and gave us a brand new one! The replacement car even had the rear a/c option! We are very pleased with Land Rover and how they handled everything. The LR3 is a great vehicle. :)
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    "that does not sound right. In a fog lamp situation the last thing you need is high beams. that would defeat the pupose."

Exactly....................but why is it my post (copied below) that you are replying to, 'does not sound right'?

From post #2145: "..I thought the law required them to only be available with dipped, or low, beam...."
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    Koesler,
    After you install the wood dash kit please post which kit you bought, some pics, and how the install went.
    I have found the following suppliers:
    directcartrim.com which has both synthetic and real wood I believe even though the LR3 isn't listed on their website yet. I believe they do have kits for it. I think this material is very thin (that might be a good thing).
    Also, BDTrims.com has synthetic kits for the LR3. They sent me some samples. It is very nice but very thick. They claim they are an oem supplier for most manufacturers.
    Both kits come in other colors than the LR factory kit, and cost much less.
    I am thinking of a light burl in a black interior but not sure if it will look right.
    JR
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    Wow, that was fun: here in my family gallery are a few of the pics (click on each one to see large image):

http://www.willems.ca/gallery/index.php?Qwd=./2005-06%20Quebec%20Driving%20School&Qiv=thum- bs&Qis=M

I learned /a lot/ about making this car do all the tricks (including driving with two feet, one for throttle and one for brake), and I finally understand all the systems (HDC, Traction Control, etc) properly. I have a much better appreciation of the awsome terrain the LR3 can cover.

And in six hours of driving over obstacles and rocks and though muid, ruts, water and sandI did not ground the car even once.
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    Hey all

I notice that every time I turn the car off (I am in normal height mode) and exit and lock it, within a couple of seconds the rear lets out air and lowers half an inch. Why? Normal or a sensor issue? Do you all see the same?

Michael
    That's normal. In my post sales brief...That's how it was discribed to me. Their words were it's relieves pressure on the air shocks or something to that effect.
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    Thank you "lr3maybe" for the additional wood-dash-kit site info - I've checked all that I could find but had not seen these. I don't want to spend all the $$ Land Rover wants for their stick-on wood kit even though it's a "molded" kit - I've not found one of those for the LR3. "Veneerz.com" has the cheapest kit and the most pieces (61) - but how will it look in synthetic ? I'm really taking my time on this one..

Thanks again..
  • jimmycoloradojimmycolorado Member Posts: 2
    purchased my LR3HSE in mid march. Java black w/tan interior. A beauty ! Had been reading this forum for a couple of months and was a little hesitant about putting out that much money. I'm glad I did. I have 4,000 miles on it now. Only problem was a white navigation screen that said
    "waiting for download". Took it to the dealer and drove 70 miles home in another new LR3 until mine was done over the weekend. Monday AM it was ready to go. No other problems at all. !
    I've owownedany,many vehicles in my lifetime, many 4x4's. This is without a doubt the best I have ever owned !! It's solid, gives you a very secure feeling, rides very smooth on the highway.
    If it continues this way, it will be worth every penny. I would appreciate any info on wood trim kit at a reasonable price. Thanks. :)
  • jimmycoloradojimmycolorado Member Posts: 2
    purchased my LR3HSE in mid march. Java black w/tan interior. A beauty ! Had been reading this forum for a couple of months and was a little hesitant about putting out that much money. I'm glad I did. I have 4,000 miles on it now. Only problem was a white navigation screen that said
    "waiting for download". Took it to the dealer and drove 70 miles home in another new LR3 until mine was done over the weekend. Monday AM it was ready to go. No other problems at all. !
    I've owned many,many vehicles in my lifetime, many 4x4's. This is without a doubt the best I have ever owned !! It's solid, gives you a very secure feeling, rides very smooth on the highway.
    If it continues this way, it will be worth every penny. I would appreciate any info on wood trim kit at a reasonable price. Thanks. :)
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    There have been a few posts about aftermarket wood trim kits. I just wanted to advise those folks to be very careful about installation. I've used such kits. The parts were good quality but contact adhesives they use are brutally unforgiving. It can be very awkward to position the pieces. They only way to remove a misaligned piece (and its easy to do) is usually to destroy it. I recommend seeking out installers who have experience handling this stuff and will guarantee a good installation.
  • amfamf Member Posts: 2
    This is our family's third Land Rover. A Discovery in 1994, another Discovery in 1998. We loved them both and loved our Service Manager. We needed more power to pull a trailer, so in December we took delivery of a fabulous LR3, V8, HSE. Fabulous except for one thing that makes driving, especially long distance driving, really miserable: the driver (and front passenger) headrest is slanted forward at a really uncomfortable angle. No matter where the seat itself is positioned, the headrest is tilted so that the driver's neck is bent forward; it is impossible to sit up straight and have your back, neck, and head rest comfortably. While our rave reviews of our Discovery experiences sent many of our friends buying them, we show the seat/headrest configuration of our LR3 to friends who ask how we like the car and they think it is wierd. Service has no solution..and it is not at all adjustable. ANY SOLUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    the driver (and front passenger) headrest is slanted forward at a really uncomfortable angle.

I don't think that is a Land Rover specific problem. I've found that to be true in most cars I have driven.

tidester, host
    The headrest position does not bother me at all. Didn't you catch this in test driving?

Anyway... starting in 2008, a new law will require manufacturers to postion them closer to the head, too. Welcome to the future. :P

New federal headrest standard takes aim at whiplash (12/08/2004)
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0412/08/D01-27367.htm