Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• Wow, that was fun: here in my family gallery are a few of the pics (click on each one to see large image):

http://www.willems.ca/gallery/index.php?Qwd=./2005-06%20Quebec%20Driving%20School&Qiv=thum- bs&Qis=M

I learned /a lot/ about making this car do all the tricks (including driving with two feet, one for throttle and one for brake), and I finally understand all the systems (HDC, Traction Control, etc) properly. I have a much better appreciation of the awsome terrain the LR3 can cover.

And in six hours of driving over obstacles and rocks and though muid, ruts, water and sandI did not ground the car even once.
  • Hey all

I notice that every time I turn the car off (I am in normal height mode) and exit and lock it, within a couple of seconds the rear lets out air and lowers half an inch. Why? Normal or a sensor issue? Do you all see the same?

Michael
  • flownerflowner Posts: 42
    That's normal. In my post sales brief...That's how it was discribed to me. Their words were it's relieves pressure on the air shocks or something to that effect.
  • koeslerkoesler Posts: 57
    Thank you "lr3maybe" for the additional wood-dash-kit site info - I've checked all that I could find but had not seen these. I don't want to spend all the $$ Land Rover wants for their stick-on wood kit even though it's a "molded" kit - I've not found one of those for the LR3. "Veneerz.com" has the cheapest kit and the most pieces (61) - but how will it look in synthetic ? I'm really taking my time on this one..

Thanks again..
  • purchased my LR3HSE in mid march. Java black w/tan interior. A beauty ! Had been reading this forum for a couple of months and was a little hesitant about putting out that much money. I'm glad I did. I have 4,000 miles on it now. Only problem was a white navigation screen that said
    "waiting for download". Took it to the dealer and drove 70 miles home in another new LR3 until mine was done over the weekend. Monday AM it was ready to go. No other problems at all. !
    I've owownedany,many vehicles in my lifetime, many 4x4's. This is without a doubt the best I have ever owned !! It's solid, gives you a very secure feeling, rides very smooth on the highway.
    If it continues this way, it will be worth every penny. I would appreciate any info on wood trim kit at a reasonable price. Thanks. :)
  • purchased my LR3HSE in mid march. Java black w/tan interior. A beauty ! Had been reading this forum for a couple of months and was a little hesitant about putting out that much money. I'm glad I did. I have 4,000 miles on it now. Only problem was a white navigation screen that said
    "waiting for download". Took it to the dealer and drove 70 miles home in another new LR3 until mine was done over the weekend. Monday AM it was ready to go. No other problems at all. !
    I've owned many,many vehicles in my lifetime, many 4x4's. This is without a doubt the best I have ever owned !! It's solid, gives you a very secure feeling, rides very smooth on the highway.
    If it continues this way, it will be worth every penny. I would appreciate any info on wood trim kit at a reasonable price. Thanks. :)
  • dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    There have been a few posts about aftermarket wood trim kits. I just wanted to advise those folks to be very careful about installation. I've used such kits. The parts were good quality but contact adhesives they use are brutally unforgiving. It can be very awkward to position the pieces. They only way to remove a misaligned piece (and its easy to do) is usually to destroy it. I recommend seeking out installers who have experience handling this stuff and will guarantee a good installation.
  • amfamf Posts: 2
    This is our family's third Land Rover. A Discovery in 1994, another Discovery in 1998. We loved them both and loved our Service Manager. We needed more power to pull a trailer, so in December we took delivery of a fabulous LR3, V8, HSE. Fabulous except for one thing that makes driving, especially long distance driving, really miserable: the driver (and front passenger) headrest is slanted forward at a really uncomfortable angle. No matter where the seat itself is positioned, the headrest is tilted so that the driver's neck is bent forward; it is impossible to sit up straight and have your back, neck, and head rest comfortably. While our rave reviews of our Discovery experiences sent many of our friends buying them, we show the seat/headrest configuration of our LR3 to friends who ask how we like the car and they think it is wierd. Service has no solution..and it is not at all adjustable. ANY SOLUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    the driver (and front passenger) headrest is slanted forward at a really uncomfortable angle.

I don't think that is a Land Rover specific problem. I've found that to be true in most cars I have driven.

tidester, host
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    The headrest position does not bother me at all. Didn't you catch this in test driving?

Anyway... starting in 2008, a new law will require manufacturers to postion them closer to the head, too. Welcome to the future. :P

New federal headrest standard takes aim at whiplash (12/08/2004)
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0412/08/D01-27367.htm
  • Both my wife and I entirely agree - it is a total pain. The only way to solve it is to angle the seatback further backwards. So you have to drive in a seat that feels more like a laid-back deck chair rather than a desk chair. Talk about safety!!
  • Actually grommet, the article ends with:

"NHTSA also wanted to allow less room between an occupant's head and the headrest, but agreed to allow five more millimeters of space because automakers were concerned that consumers would be uncomfortable."

Hear hear!

Also... a thought: the US may 'de facto' rule the world, but whoever did not vote for any part of the US government presumably has no interest in adhering to whatever rules they come up with for their citizens. So hopefu;ly this will mean a US version that's uncomfortable, and an international version that's more comfortable...
  • amfamf Posts: 2
    Grommet's reply is right about one thing..I should have caught this in the test drive.We must have been sitting straight upright at attention absorbing all the other features.
    Regarding neck injury: if on impact, the neck becomes bent at that angle, that is probably dangerous. The angle is unnatural in any situation. And while many cars have an angle, not one has this degree.
    Yes, federal regulations require the headrest be positioned closer to the head. However, in this case the manufacturer has moved the headrest from perfectly aligned with head and neck in the Discovery, to too far forward for safety of comfort.

Thank you for the reply michaelwillems..Now what do we do?
    Remember, that's 5 millimeters more space on the new standard to my knowledge. Yes, it's good they are paying attention to some general comfort concerns.

Anyway, the fact is you'll never get a design that works well for everyone. But, even with safety standards, designs don't have to be "uncomfortable" for the majority of drivers.

I do agree the LR3 should at least have "up/down" adjustable headrests in the front, though... similar to RRS or Range Rover design... maybe that would help.
  • norbnnorbn Posts: 70
    Not only the weight but the performance. Heck my old Disco 2 got the same mileage or even worse but it wasn't as fast as my LR3!
  • >>Thank you for the reply michaelwillems..Now what do we do?

Mmm. Live with it I guess. I have in fact noticed this since day one but since I have no choice, I can live with it. I did adjust the seat back to angle it further back - that's the only thing you can do.

Michael
  • joshua1joshua1 Posts: 7
    Although I am not supposed to mention a dealer name, this is about a dealer in Lake Bluff, Illinois. My LR3 experienced several "suspension faults." Not being able to remedy the problem to my satisfaction, the dealer worked with Land Rover USA and replaced my car in 48 hrs. They gave me the same car with some additional options and sold it to me at invoice. It was an amazing act of customer service and LRUSA and the dealer should be commended. Interestingly, I know of several people who have had problems with Lexus's, Mercedes, etc., and have had similar experiences -- this is how they build customer loyalty and satisfaction, and LR, at least for me, has joined their ranks.
  • joshua1joshua1 Posts: 7
    Are supposed to be positioned as they are. It is to keep you from experiencing whiplash in a rear-end or other accident. Get used to it. Pre-positioned headrests will be mandatory on 2007 vehicles (and are already in many European country markets).
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,549
    Dealer names are fine - see the Rules of the Road link above.

No names or contact info for salespeople please.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I am getting used to it. But not without thinking that whiplash is overrated, and that I should be able to determine when my seat is OK. Making fixed headrests mandatory on US vehicles is fine for the US, but I think it is regrettable that a Canadian driving a British car should be affected by this too.

But as you say - get used to it. Like to the compulsory FBI Copyright Warning every world citizen has to watch every time they start a DVD, even though the FBI has no jurisdiction where they live... :-)

What I wonder, though, if this is not all somewhat counterproductive. To keep my head from being very uncomfortable, I angle the seat back way further than I would like - presumably that has some effect on safety, and presumably that effect is not positive.
  • outrageousoutrageous Posts: 55
    Try adding a pad behind your back.
  • >>>Try adding a pad behind your back.

Mmm. May work. I've tried the back control., the one that pushes into your back (did you all know that existed?) but that did not do it for me. Pad is an idea, for sure.
  • I was planning to buy an LR3, but after reading this board, I decided to wait till next year's model as I am in no hurry.

Any one knows when the new year's model is going to be released?

Any news/gossips about what is new in the new year's model?
  • koeslerkoesler Posts: 57
    I stopped by my local dealer to get my body side moldings installed - and there were 4 out-of-commission LR3's sitting there, all in various states of disassembly.
    Shocked I asked - "what the hell is that about" ? Answer: They were all used extensively during the dealers' off-road event two weeks ago, and these 4 spent too much time in the mud pit.

These 4 vehicles were so packed with mud that the starters, alternators, radiators, control modules for the tranny and t-cases, and some other parts yet to be determined, got "cooked" to the point of burning out. The service guys are going to try to get some damage covered under warranty - but ?? Some parts are also not available - so, the advice given to me was - "stay out of the mud with the LR3" or you'll be walking.
    For 2006, I'd expect them to appear in North America in September or so... about a year after launch. Give or take a month or so. Don't expect any real changes, as LR3 is too new. (The only definite is the "stripped" V6 model becoming available, '05 V6 is SE trim.)

Many hope Sirius will become an optional '06 feature, like it is for the '06 Range Rover Sport & Range Rover. It would really be dumb of Land Rover not to offer it, since they share stereos designs. (You listening Land Rover?)
  • roverdawgroverdawg Posts: 30
    Grommet,

Do you know if the flash memory can be used to retroactively install satellite radio in the '05 LR3? There was some talk fron the vendor that features could be added later. Currently have an xm receiver mounted and it looks great but, still, it would be nice to shelve it....
    Being "possible" and allowing it/supporting it are two different things. If we see it on '06 LR3, there will be a chance... but I sure won't bet on it. Car manufacturers tend not to offer functional upgrades, only "fixes." As the RRS and RR Sirius option are factory options only, that also lessens the chance there will be a "dealer" kit.

Send your feedback that you'd like to see an integrated Sirius dealer install accessory... and to at least offer it as "factory" option on 2006, too.
  • vpotlurivpotluri Posts: 47
    I am a sport fisherman and am looking to buy an SUV that can ride on soft sand (on the beach) without problems. When I say problems, I don't want to be stuck in the sand. Here in New Jersey, we are allowed to drive on the beach in certain areas to go surf fishing. I currently drive a VW Touareg and it has proven to be less than capable in soft sand. Can the LR3 meet my needs? Where is the full-size spare tire on the LR3? Is it under the floor in the trunk? Thanks.
    vpotluri, yes it can be driven on the sand... even has a "Sand" setting in the electronic Terrain Response. Worked well for me... of course, this is no guarantee you won't ever get stuck. It will depend on the specific driving environment and your driving style/skill, too.

The spare is outside underneath the LR3's cargo area. Full-size spare is optional in North America as part of the Heavy Duty Package.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,549
    Check out the SUVs for Beach Sand discussion for tips like airing down your tires.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.