Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• LandRoverOwnerLandRoverOwner Member Posts: 24
    Well, I have a BMW lemon law case going in PA right now, and we filed April 2004 & we still haven't had our arbitration hearing, which is in August. THAT is well over a year. And we're still paying every month on a car that has caught fire 3 times & so above and beyond meets the standards of lemon law it is ridiculous. The court system is very slow, and it doesn't have to do with the manufacturer, just the court system.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Pennsylvania's lemon law looks to be among the weaker ones from a consumer viewpoint; limited time to complain, etc. (Autopedia)

If you think you have a lemon, it may be a good idea to get a free consultation with a lemon lawyer to make sure that time doesn't run out on your options while you are working with the dealer or manufacturer.

Steve, Host
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    Regarding the "hazing" on the inside of the doors that several people have mentioned, I also have it and have tried multiple things to remove it: dusting; wet clean rag; armor-all cleaning wipes, soap and water. All failed. The hazing came back--worse--within a day or two.

However, about 3 weeks ago, I used armor-all LEATHER cleaning wipes; and it seems to work. This is probably not good for the plastic surface, but it looked so bad that that I was willing to chance it. And, so far, the hazing has not returned.
  • codicodi Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my LR3 HSE in early August 2005 from a So Cal dealership and am having the same problem with the suspension fault light. I took the car in after driving it for only 2 days; they kept the car 2 days and said they fixed it. As with you, after driving it for a short distance, the fault light came back on. They are going to try to fix it again next week.

Also had the following problems:
    1. airbag fault light came on after having driven the car a whopping 2 miles. They had to replace the airbag and it seems to have fixed the problem.
    2. The ignition lock was sticking; they have ordered a new lock and will replace.

The people at the dealership are cooperative enough, but it seems that their (or Land Rover's) quality control isn't very good and they can't fix things right the first time.

Anyone else with a suspension light fault? What did they do to fix it?
  • lr3x3lr3x3 Member Posts: 2
    i had the dealer install the bluetooth set-up on my lr3. Very pricey and i get complaints that i am difficult to hear from my callers.

is anyone else having this problem?
  • kandgkandg Member Posts: 53
    We're also in Vilseck. I think my wife knows your wife, lol..they parked next to each other by the clinic sometimes..we have the buckingham blue LR. I know it's not standard and personally i don't really care if we do have it as the less integration between devices the better (my nokias all have hands free that work just fine) Where are you heading for service? (A friend of mine says that the closest LR dealership she knows of is in Nurnberg) Let me know if they are able to take care of the speaker enclosure vibration (it's because of all that plastic and clips (no dynamat)
  • nbarconbarco Member Posts: 14
    I am using the dealer in Weiden. It is the same dealer that I used for my Volvo. The dealer is not great by US standards, but it does have the most experience in dealing with American spec vehicles and customers. They are good at worksmanship, but lack where the rest of the country does....customer service. I know that is the problem with the speakers, but that is something they are going to have to fix, as they do not market rattling speakers. They market a high end audio system. They may come up with that solution ultimately. Yes, I htink our wives know each other, as she told me she met the person with the other Land Rover....Tell her to get with my wife and we could discuss more...also I have the NAV DVD for Europe and a way to burn it if you are interested......
  • rea9390rea9390 Member Posts: 19
    LR3 fully equiped, 6K miles, 6 Mos only problems have been a loose 12 volt outlet, and a rear lift gate squeek, both of which where fixed on the first try. Sorry about everyone with a recurring problem. I think more and more on the newer high tech vehicles if you get a bad one the dealer is going to have a tough go at fixing them. I think they should have a quick exchange program for expensive high end vehicles, especialy on new model roll outs, two attempts to fix a serious problem and then if they can't get it done....Just exhange the vehicle for a new one! I know this is a big economic expense for the mfg but look at the consumer left paying big bucks for an unreliable vehicle. :)
  • rea9390rea9390 Member Posts: 19
    the way I see it: SE for some off road use, HSE for almost no off road use. This is with the factory tire wheel combos. The HSE wheel is actually a better size to get an off road tire for.
    Well the only solution is to take the grills, surrounds and door panels, then reseat with freq. absorbing material in the door. Again, they may consider this "high end", but it's consumer grade electronics as in "not audiophile" stuff that's sold at "Best Buy" Circuit City and it's ilk ( Harmon industries, {JBL, Infinity, HarmonKardon}) (logic 7 is only a DSP matrix that is an offshoot of the old citation 7 processor,i believe and that tech was 1st generation dolby pro logic from many moons ago) so good luck..If they don't meet your satisfaction re: customer service, you have two options, confront the dealer that sold the car and lean on them to get things done (this is what i'm doing) or go through LR NA which is what i've already done, asking them to address quality control issues such as exposed wiring looms, poor quality orange peel paint and the aforementioned speaker rattle which i'm sure they're aware of from these forums.
    Thanks for the offer regarding the Nav DVD but we already have two of them (one that's used and one that's a backup) i found in Great Britain courtesy of eBay..and i got it for a tidy sum of about $5.00 so 300Euro discount from what the dealer was offering.

Incidentally, i've never had a problem with Service here regarding cars. I have great service from the bmwautohandlers for my bimmers, here in Amberg (Koch/JB Lell), Saubersdorf (Stauner) and Regensburg (Hoffman) and they have been more than accomodating. I'm fluent in german so that may help. :) I don't feel so guarded here as the germans do the work that needs to be done and don't invent problems in the cars like they do stateside (of which i've had this happen but that's a another story) I actually had to confront a stateside honda dealer's service manager as to what the supposed problem was (of course it was at least "$700") Turned out they forgot to reconnect my ECU and tried to pull a fast one as to why the car wasn't starting saying it was a problem with the distributor and ignition.

I am disappointed in LandRover's presence here in Germany but truly wasn't expecting much of a British Marque's influence here. I'm disappointed that we don't get the "free scheduled maintenance" but it's the standard 4.4litre jaguar engine which i'm familiar with. Besides, i can change my own oil. I even had to ask them to provide me with a loaner car and got one through our dealership as BMW does this for me without question. They even wash my car before returning it to me. :shades:
  • nbarconbarco Member Posts: 14
    I am currently awaiting my BMW 530i. It should be here next month. I guess I will take you advise and use the Amberg dealership. As far as, the Volvo dealership, do not expect the same level of service as BMW. I have to go to my salesperson here in Vilseck and have her call the dealer to pressure them into doing the right thing. (ie: Loaner, warranty vs. excuse to charge, etc...) On the 15th, I have an appointment to take care of the back middle seat, as it fell apart at the seams, the rattling speakers, oil change, driver's side window problem, and a poor job at installing the door moldings. Let's see what happens.....If you decide to take on the dynamat job yourself, I would like to see how you do it...I would like to possibly do the same. I cannot really complain about the quality of the sound. I find it to be adequate, except for the annoying rattling. I ordered my Bimmer with the Logic 7, too.
    Thanks,
    Nolan
    For my LR3, i'm thinking of doing a separate audio install as i would like an audiosetup to my liking (preference in Amps/separates) I also want to install a better dvd system than the one they have for the rear seat (the generic player doesn't do it for me and i'm not sure of it's reliability). I also am not fond of it's location with it flipping down from the ceiling and possibly obscuring vision

The BMW you will love if you are more of a "driver" (i drove my wife's friend's V50 and it didn't have the right "feel" to me so guess i'm never going to be a volvo guy) With BMW, be prepared for silly little things to go wrong such as window and sunroof actuators to fail (second tier suppliers) that BMW never has seemed to remedy. On our E46's, they both had control arm and bushing failures but i think that's a small price to pay for the level of agility the cars exhibit (the 5 is a slightly different animal) There is a site called alldata, believe..google it to be sure..and it has all the recall and TSB numbers for cars that come up. Re: the stereo in BMW. Back in the early 90's BMW used to use some decent A/D/S drivers(speakers) for the stereo setup (same as Land Rover i believe on the earlier discos). When the E46 chassis came out, i'm not sure who they switched to but i assume it was proprietary HK (i could be wrong) The system is of course touted by BMW but to audiophiles, it carries some sort of noise cancellation algorithm that tends to affect certain frequencies thereby creating a somewhat "dead" soundstage. The problem is not considered major for people who aren't truly picky but if you are a stereo guy, it could drive you nuts. The little ghetto setup i installed in my miata sounds more "live" but that's due to a good head unit, Old School RF mosfet amplification and Boston Separates in the door followed by a sub set at the proper cutoff. I'm sure it's subjective, however..oh and i-drive isn't as bad as everyone bitches..notice how all the cars are going to some sort of interface? The worst has been DCX COMAND imho.

Funny thing, we also had a poorly installed moulding (rear passenger on the driver's side)

Did you get your LR3 from Autopieper? We had an appt. to look at one there but it turned out to be a demo and it was located in Stuttgart. The price she wanted was a little too high for a vehicle with miles (you could get a brand new one for a few bucks more)

You might be closer to the Pressath BMW dealer, no? If you buy from Andy (Automobile shopping center) then you'll take delivery there and he probably has something setup for you to have the car serviced there. I go to Koch because it's closer to where i live.

Btw, congratulations on the new 5. The styling grew on me in a way i didn't expect. And when people tell you it's a Bangle design, correct them and say it was designed by the dutchman, Adrian. I would like to buy a classic or something to go around to the car shows (hence one of the reasons for the LR3---towing..)with but i'm torn..esp. if the car companies keep making desirable new cars. I'd like to buy an m5, perhaps after the 1st year long term test information is released but for that money, i may jump marques again and go to Porsche or Aston (childhood dreams)..then there's that new Jag replacement for the S type in 2008..decisions decisions. :P
  • 913jvc913jvc Member Posts: 3
    I am seriously thinking about getting an LR3. I have a lease deal in K.C. for 2K down and 495 mo for 24 mo on a V8. After reading the discussions I question weather this car has serious problems as many are evoking the lemon law. Wonder if anyone would advise to buy or move on to other choices and further is this deal good?
    I think you'd have to examine the bigger picture. Every first year vehicle will have issues and the more reliant these vehicles become on computers.. well let's just say that Windows still has Service Packs. There isn't a car manufactured since my 91CRXsi that hasn't had a TSB issued for something or the other. The decision ultimately lies in whether or not you feel the problems are within your level of tolerance. It would be hard to base your decision on the few that are posting here (i'm sure there are a lot more than just 2000 LR3 owners worldwide) and most probably don't even know about this forum. Plus most people will respond to forums only to complain about problems dealt with (a good thing) but rarer still are those who write in to compliment their vehicle and it's manufacturer.

Someone once said that there is a direct correlation between the price of a vehicle and the amount you're willing to deal with it's idiosyncracies...eg. Ferrari and the $2500 timing belt change every 15000 miles. But you'd argue.."it's a Ferrari.."
  • teldocteldoc Member Posts: 49
    Don't be confused. We're in St Louis and got our LR3 SE8 back in December. 10,500 miles later we could not be happier with this truck and would recommend to anyone. It is extremely competent 4-wheeler and a joy to drive. Pull the trigger 913jvc! You'll be glad you did.

David
    St. Louis
    Chawton White with black leather
  • 913jvc913jvc Member Posts: 3
    Appreciate the input.
    Thanks
    Joe
    Kansas City
  • thalys300thalys300 Member Posts: 4
    We bought the HSE almost a month ago also from southern california dealership. So far I have seen the suspension fault 4-5 times. I am taking it to the dealer on Monday. Also when I increase the sub woofer level, it doesn't seem to make any difference on the sound. Is anyone else having this issue?
  • gothopegothope Member Posts: 5
    You might want to share a copy of the navigation DVD. I am stationed at Wuerzburg Hospital and mailing a copy to APO should not be much trouble. Nbarco, since you have a backup you may want to sell me the other one. Please contact me at muchae@hotmail.com. Thanks.
    About hazing of door panels, Yes, I have noticed this when we got back last week from our 3-week vacation. I thought my kids were rubbing some white stuff with their filthy hands or scuffing it with their dirty shoes. But I also noticed that on the driver side. I don't think you can get rid of the white stuff by cleaning it with water. I tried to rub it with my firger but didn't do anything.
  • xtreme90xtreme90 Member Posts: 6
    Hello:

I recently purchased a loaded LR3 SE. Has ~2000 miles on it now. About 3 weeks ago my wife pulled it into the garage and noticed that fuel was pouring out of the rear of the car. She had just filled the tank. Gas cap was in place. We called our dealer to discuss the problem and they said to bring it in immediately. On the way to the dealer the LR3 died at stops lights. This was three weeks ago and that last time we have seen our LR3. LR service states that there is an issue with the fuel system design and that it is being redesigned. Recall??? Problem is that the parts are not available yet so we have paid for a $50,000+ car that we have not driven in almost a month. LR dealer has been great and provided a rental, but if I wanted to drive a jeep I would have purchased one.

Anyone else experience this problem?

BTW - This is our 4th LR over the past 6 years. Disco 1, Disco 2, Defender 90 and now an LR3. So I am an experienced LR owner and have always enjoyed the cars.

Thanks
    I tried an interesting little experiment today. I took some of the CD's that i know have enough low freq. hum to rattle the speaker surrounds on the LR3 and played them but adjusted the Bass -2 increments. I boosted the treble to +2 and then boosted the sub to +2 or 3 (preference and subjective). Fader was set mostly towards the rear (perhaps 2 or 3 increments in favor of the rear speakers) but this improved front imaging immensely and also...voila..no more rattle/hum out of the fronts mid/bass drivers. The tweets are a little more prominent due to the adjustment and therefore bring up a better center stage image. I don't know who made the decision for the speaker driver placement but i would never have designed it in such a manner which i think contributes to the rattle so prevalent in everyone's LR3. The CD's i tried were Moby's "Play" which has a lot of continuous low end sounds..Alanis' Acoustic Jagged Little Pill, which has a lot of sharp transients, Bruce Hornsby's Greatest which is very bright/staccato sounding for the high's, New Radicals and Coldplay, reverb and ambient type beats and sound, and Toad the Wet Sprocket's "Fear" which has some harder stuff (droning guitars, low end crunchy Marshall/ Vox chimey guitar played approx. at 16-20 (i think, i'll check tomorrow) on the volume setting which is quite loud..my wife turned it down at that point but concurred there was no hum or ensuing tinnitis

My wife also purchased an FM modulator (yes i know, usu. a lot of possible alternator hum in these things) to connect the iPod. Now here's the catch.. The device is about 80$ retail but we picked it up for about 50. The brand is Monster which is a great company (started selling higher grade car audio cable, branched to home theatre etc) It plugs into the cigarette lighter, has a selector to tune to different frequencies on the radio and then plugs into the bottom of the iPod. Bottom line? It sounded very good surprisingly..no noise at all and the volume was better than those reporting to plugging in their iPod's through the accessory switch behind the storage box. (you don't even need to do that with this device) the only connection is the cigarette lighter..that's all! You don't have steering wheel controls but the ipod is right there at your fingertips and you already know how intuitive it is to use by touch. We just plug it in and use it as a digi jukebox for the road. (who needs satellite radio? :P )

So there you have it folks, try out my suggestions, play around with your bass/treble/fader/sub settings first and see if it works for you. I'd still like to get into the panels and paste on some sheets of dynamat which is what LandRover should have done in the first place but this was obviously the lessor of two evils. Plus save yourself a lot of hassle over using the aux input and just purchase the monster connector for your iPod. The thing works; i never would have given the device much credence until i heard it today

:shades: :shades: :shades: :shades:
    This is what the iPod connector looks like:

9197 MONSTER® IPOD FM TRANSMITTER + CHARGER

This is the newer version which connects to your iPod via the docking connector and NOT the headphone output. (i'm not sure if there were problems with the previous generation) Plus it also doubles as a charger for the iPod
  • saileastsaileast Member Posts: 16
    Hello,
    Just had 7500 mike service, 7700 miles and no major problems. A/C had low charge from factory, it was re charged and no problem since. Radio was replaced at delivery. I do have the door "hazing" problem and the dealer ordered new panels this week, hoping this will solve the problem. I did place a call to customer care about the hazing ten days ago and have yet to here back from them, that is very poor! Other wise the HSE that I have had since January is doing great. Dealer is great, always has a LR3 for me to drive while mine is in their care.
  • knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    My wife's LR3 just experienced the same problem the other day. The carwash had just filled the tank, then a few miles down the road the car began to stall at stoplights. She managed to get it home and put it in the garage. Came out to the garage a few minutes later and the entire garage smelled of gas. Looked under the LR3 and there was a 5ft diameter puddle of gas on the floor and a steady drip of gas coming from somewhere (the spare tire and other things blocked my view,) under the rear of the car and dripping right on to the hot exhaust pipe. This is kind of a frightening problem. And to make matters worse, the nearest LR dealer is a few hundred miles away from us, so getting a loaner is not an option and LR only allows $35/day for a rental, which will get you a urine soaked Chevy Malibu from Hertz. We also received the same answer from the dealer, that the tanks are on backorder with no known delivery date. Since my wife often has to drive into Mexico I talked her out of the Range Rover as I thought it would stand-out to much and make her a potential target, but with suspension faults and now this, I'm considering taking the LR3 back and just getting her the RR. I also recommend filling a safety complaint with both Land Rover of North America and the NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov) over the fuel leak issue. This is a serious and potentially deadly problem. And we all know the odds of a manufacturer voluntarily recalling a car, so if enough of us with the fuel leak problem file, maybe the NHTSA will force the issue.
    Did the dealer suggest that the hazing was a known problem and the new panels would not have the problem?
    I forgot to mention that gas was dripping over the exhaust on ours as well. Had about 3-5 gallons of gas on the floor of the garage before we noticed. Lucky that our home did not burn down. I have already filed a complaint with LR NA. May go to NHTSA if the issue is not resolved soon. Also - I have 4 more days until the LR3 qualifies for the california lemon law. Hope we do not have to take this route. I like LR, but this is major safety issue as you mention.
    I would hope that you'll be able to resolve the issue with LR before having to exercise lemon law rights. I don't know what LR is like in dealing with a buyback or trade issue. The few dealings I've had with LR have been excellent in comparison to my dealings with their parent company Ford (my '04 F-350 diesel has also had some issues.) Have you spoken to your dealer about the possibility of a buyback or replacement vehicle? I knew when we bought the vehicle that there would be issues with it, as there are with any first runs, but I didn't expect that fuel pouring-out would be one of them. A couple of software glitches, maybe a broken knob, but not that.
  • saileastsaileast Member Posts: 16
    Yes it is a known problem, as their fleet of loaners with black interior have same problem. No they did not say for sure that the new panels would not do the same, but they felt like this was the first step.
  • timmerstimmers Member Posts: 2
    I have nothing but problems with my LR3 as well..... It’s had 11 different things wrong with it. Mostly minor things but a couple major things as well! It’s been in the shop for 63 days for all the warning lights coming on! They want me to leave it with them for another three weeks. Not going to happen... I contacted my attorney and he has started a lemon law case. Here in California they have 30 day to respond to our request to buy back the vehicle. Then if the case goes to trial, Land Rover North America will have to prove, by a preponderance of evidence, I did not afford them "reasonable number of attempts" to conform the vehicle!

I'm really thinking that 63 days and some 12 trips to the dealership is "a reasonable number of attempts"

If it’s a lemon now it will be a lemon down the road!

Good luck!
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Interesting... all these brand-new Edmunds members posting LR3 complaints as their first entries... :confuse: I hope these aren't really trolls. Anyway, if these are honest postings... I hope you all get satisfaction.

re: Lemon Law (California), you really don't need an attorney in most cases... even if it gets to arbitration.

Anyway, anyone can read more about it starting here... http://www.thelemonlaw.org/links.htm
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    It's good to read something "good" as well as all the bad crap. I'm at 3 months and 3000 miles and so far - almost perfection. I did have the door panel "mildew look" so I dressed the panels with "Eagle One" - "Tire Wet" rubber dressing and they look fabulous - makes the whole vehicle look more up-scale. It's been 6 weeks and they are still black and beautiful..I wonder why the cargo area never looked grey, dull, scuffed, and mildew like ?? it's the same plastic I would assume.

My only problem is a steering wheel squeek when it's in a certain position..will have that addressed soon..My mileage is still 18 +, so no complaints there either. I use the suspension settings - access mode and normal - several times a day and have had no issues with warnings, or the compressor. My wood kit also looks great and I get lots of compliments - even from BMW and MB owners - most think it's LR wood...and factory installed, ha ha..not a "shade tree" $ 210 job.

Well, good luck to all you poor, unlucky owners - may you someday have the joy of owning a "good" Rover.
    Not a troll here. May be a first time poster but I am a 4th time LR owner. Disco 1, Disco 2 and currently own a Defender 90 and LR3. The gas tank problem is a sersious safety issue. I have always had great service from LR local and corporate, but on this issue I am getting the run around. Maybe it is the Ford influence.
    Got a call back today from the NHTSA about the complaint, and apparently we're not the only ones to have had this problem. Sounds like they are opening an investigation into this. The dealer also called me back and let me know that they were able to get a revised fuel tank and they're installing it today. For the record, the service we have recieved at LR of Albuquerque has been so outstanding, from the sales guide to the service department, that I've got to give them credit. The vehicle may have some quirks, (except for the fuel leak, that was a full blown problem,) but thanks to them my wife won't even consider giving up her LR3 (though I may,) even for a RR. So for any dealers that may be browsing the board, it's all about the service.
  • seattymseattym Member Posts: 1
    We've experienced a variation of this problem lately. We don't have the fuel leak problem, but have had the stalling problem. Each time the LR3 starts to stall, it has been after a trip to the gas station. It is at the dealer for the 2nd time for this issue. They first replaced the MAF sensor, and now they tell me that they are going to replace the fuel tank. They also told me that the replacement fuel tanks are on back order, and that our LR3 is to stay at the dealer.

We've had the LR3 since the end of '04 and have put almost 15K miles on it. We started having this issue after about 14K miles.

While the dependability of the car is a little questionable, the service at our dealer, Rockville Land Rover in MD, has been outstanding. Since we bought our car there, they always give us a loaner or when LR loaners are not available, they give us a rental. This time around, they gave us a pretty basic LR3.
  • ajn999ajn999 Member Posts: 16
    We bought 2 LR3s in December. 1 good, 1 bad. The dealer gave us a brand new replacement in March after 7 failed attempts to fix electrical bugs(Lights would turn odd at night and not come back on) Keep trying, it worked for us :lemon:
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    I have had my LR3 SE for about 3 1/2 months with about 7000 miles on it so far. Stalled once at 150 miles on the odometer, took it to the dealer, they did a software update and a removal and re-install of the fuel tank. Since then it has been flawless.

I just got back from a trip from San Francisco to Hood River, Oregon for a windsurfing vacation. 700 miles one way and 11 1/2 hours of non-stop driving. I had a Yakima Rocket Box on the roof loaded with 50 pounds of windsurfing equipment and two windsurf boards mounted on the rack next to the box. I managed to get about 15.5 MPG for the whole trip. I think that was great mileage considering all the stuff I had on the roof.

The 11 hour drive was very comfortable in the LR3. Outside temps averaged 90 degrees and the A/C kept us very comfortable the whole trip. Having 2000 songs on the IPOD helps the drive too!

I am very happy so far with my LR3. I owned a 2003 Disco before getting this rig. I think the 11 hour road trip would have been a little less comfortable than the LR3.

Kevin
  • speirspeir Member Posts: 1
    I bought my LR3 SE fully loaded back in November '04, I had it service at around 3500 miles for software glitches the suspension failed once when driving at the same time the DSC cut off and the anti-lock brakes shut down. A few days later after starting and pulling out of my driveway it wouldn't give me any power. In both cases I pulled off the side of the road shut the vehical off waited for a sec and then started it up again with no problems. also, I have the navagation which was showing just the landrover screen a few times after start up. The dealer had it for one day to install software upgrade, the nav and the power problem happen once after the upgrade around the 7500 mile mark; so what I started doing was waiting until the vehical finishes it's "system check in progress" it takes an extra 2 seconds before starting, but after 6000 miles I have yet to have even a single glitch.

Speir
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    I have had 8000+ pretty near perfect miles with the LR3 HSE. But all hell broke loose this past week.
    1) Stalling/surging problem appears all of a sudden... engine seems to die/start/die/start, over and over... if you put in neutral during this surging cycle, the tach drops to zero like a stone. This behaviour started a week ago and lasted 5 minutes, then happened again a few days later and lasted for a whole hour... not a fun drive in the mountains, a LONG way from any service station.
    2) Engine warning light goes on and stays on until just yesterday, mysteriously goes off.
    3) I have the windows open in the cool mountains. Swear I am smelling gas. Nobody else around... has to be me. I stop the vehicle... smell gas under the car... finally find gas pouring down over the righ rear exhaust... smoking... I thought the whole car was going to blow and cause a major forest fire incident. Gas was pouring out pretty steadily. I open the fuel door and remove the gas cap... sounds like gas is boiling angrily inside the tank... I mean loud. I closed the cap... didn't know what to do. Started the car again, went on, and still with the gas smell... I thought for sure I was going to leak out all the gas and be stranded in the middle of nowhere. I stopped the vehicle, turned off ignition and went off hiking for half an hour... hoping things would 'reset'... apparently they did. I restarted the car, no gas dripping, no boiling sounds from the tank, but still I had the surging business.
    4) Offroad I have tried to use the HDC to walk me down a steep hill... guess what... HDC stalls the engine!

Very disappointing. And very dangerous... imagine you running over a cigarette butt in traffic and all of a sudden you are exploding in flames.
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    I have put almost 9000 miles on my HSE since taking delivery 12/04. I have been very satisfied with the vehicle for the most part.

Over the last couple of weeks I noticed a low coolant warning appearing when braking hard or turning a corner. I called my local LR dealer and they advised to come in and have it checked out which I did. The coolant level was normal and is a defective sensor which they have a TSB about.

The last time I was at the dealer I asked them why the black door panels are starting to have this milky haze. They provided me with a product their detailer uses and corrected the appearance problem. While I was there today for the coolant issue I overheard the service manager talking about another LR3 with the same milky haze issue. Has anyone else noticed this condition on their vehicle with the black interior?
    Re: the milky haze

If you search for door panels, you'll see it from last week I think. I have the same problem; although Armor-All Leather Wipes seem to work at least for a few weeks. What product did they give you?
  • grendalflygrendalfly Member Posts: 21
    I have a questions for those having the hazing problem. What color interior do you have?
    The reason I ask is that I have the black interior and have not seen any yet after two weeks, but my friend's who has the beige interior has the hazing on the black door panels where the speakers are located and he has only had his for a week.
    My interior is beige. The hazed lower-half of the door panels is, of course, black.
  • jackmacjackmac Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone not experienced the hazing issue?

See previous posting #2441 for an explanation of the cause.
    I have not had any hazing issue whatsoever. I do keep my car inside the garage when not driving.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    I haven't. (Black interior.)
    Just went thru the same gas issue on my LR3 with ~2000 miles. There is a design flaw with some of the gas tanks. My LR3 was in the shop for almost 4 weeks waiting for parts. You should not drive the vechicle in this condition. LR has a fix but the parts are on back order so it is a long wait.
    Thx xtreme90... good to have some heads up before I go into the shop on Mon.
    My repair order for that same issue states that the fuel was coming out of the Purge Valve Assembly. I was lucky in that my dealership was willing to take the fuel tank and purge canister off of a newly arrived LR3 with the revised parts. So the total time out of service was 4 days including the weekend.
    exactly what I suspected to be the problem... but what the heck is causing the fuel to get to the Purge Valve??? Like I posted... it sounded as if the fuel was boiling or being pumped/percolated to the purge valve... very strange.

Wonder if there is a negative pressure situation with the fuel, causing the engine stalling and the fuel dumping somehow in concert.
  • bambamtazbambamtaz Member Posts: 2
    I have a serious problem with my LR3 that resulted with the same headache Tzo had to deal with ------ The fuel tank burst and gas leaked everywhere!

Engine stalled 4 times while we are on the highway. All the lights on the dashboard went on. The only thing we could figure is it must be low on gas or must be power to the engine. We made it to the gas station, put in a full tank.

Drove to get lunch. 30 minutes later, started car, just ran, then whole car "jerked" all lights came on again. We smelled gas. Looked back of car, entire fuel tank leaked out. Big hole in the fuel tank.

I call Land Rover, the specialist told me that I was the 4th one in last week to have this problem. I was told to call the Fire and Police department of the leak. Land Rover specialist told me when the fuel in the tank gets low and yellow caution light comes on, this means the gas tank is completely empty. There is a requirement of 2-3 gallons of gas when this "yellow" light comes on, BUT! apparently not!

The fuel intake keeps on "sucking in hot air", then coupled with the fact there is no reserve in the tank as required, extreme heat builds up and then the tank burst!

This is a dangerous mix up to happen. I was told this has happened and will happen on all models. Right now in England, Landrover is redesigning the fuel system. What a bunch of crock for a "SUV of the year". A $50,000 vehicle shouldn't put you in harms way!.
    I can sympathise with your anger. I was pretty upset as well when I saw all this gas dribbling out over my exhaust pipe. I had just finished transporting my kids to camp when the gas started leaking... I shuddered to think about what would happen if I had run over a cigarette butt and the gas flame would chase me until I stopped at a light, then BOOM.

Well, my tank definitely did not burst, btw, I just had this strange temporal leak... after some 30-60 minutes, it seemed to go away. But I will not accept the vehicle back from LR until they give me a good explanation as to what the problem was and what the fix is.
    I will not listen to ... 'well, we couldn't find anything wrong, and it doesn't seem to be leaking now...' ... I just will leave it at the dealer. And contact my atty.

But I am hopeful the dealer will work on this seriously.

p.s. I was no where near empty when I had my leak. About half full.