Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• ypshanypshan Member Posts: 103
    socalfrank,

Congratulations. If you don't need third row seats, Touareg is a great choice (for towing too).

At the discounts that people are reporting at the Touareg board, you are essentially getting a Cayenne for almost half the price (Porsche options are expensive).

I like the interior a lot. The only thing about the 05 model that I don't like is the NAV system (still CD based and no Bluetooth).
    Some people had bad experience with the dye of the leather seats:

"Now, being a previous generation Disco owner whose Beige interior has turned into nasty black it came to me as a huge shock to see that the new Discovery's beige interior was already COLORED IN BLACK AND DIRT. AND IT ATTRACTED SO MUCH OF IT AS WELL. The sales guy who also handled my previous purchase knew what I was looking at and he said that this display car has probably gone prone to a year's of use in just three days. He kinda knew that he was talking bullsh*t as well.
    As a detail oriented guy I was angry. Not only are we expected to empty our pockets for 100.000 Euros (yep that's turkish tax for ya! 100.000euros for tdv6 hse) but we are also left with some third grade leather that dyes itself into the color of your jeans. Not acceptable. "

Any LR3 owners or Disco II owners can tell us more? Thanks.
  • xchicagoan5xchicagoan5 Member Posts: 46
    Thanks for the info. Wilmington is all I needed to find them. Happy Thanksgiving!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    We happen to need / prefer third row seats. But I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusion that a VW is going to be any more reliable than a Land Rover? Notwithstanding that the Touareg and LR3 were named back to back "SUV's of the Year", both VW and Land Rover appear to be in a fight to the death as to who can get the worst ratings from Consumer Reports and JD Powers on long term reliability.

Both the Touareg and LR3 appeal to my senses, but neither give me the comfort of a GX470, MDX or LandCruiser that they will last a long time without driving me nuts.
  • ajn999ajn999 Member Posts: 16
    Just traded my 03 Range Rover for the LR3. I loved
    my Range Rover and it was trouble free but the tax laws made it hard not buy the LR3. I actually
    saved about $20,000 in income tax by trading down to the LR3.Self employed individuals using the truck for business may want to take delivery before the end of the year as certain tax loopholes are changing next year. The new Jaguar engine is even better than the BMW based Range Rover engine from what I can tell so far. Seems tighter and more powerful. Gas mileage is dreadful so far at 8.8 mpg according to the trip odometer/computer but its been driven 75 miles so its not fair to say much yet. I have the Black body with the beige interior. The carpets are very light beige and are going to get dirty fast. The Range Rover had black carpeting which stayed cleaner looking. The LR3 rides better than the Range Rover which is saying a lot. It seems roomier in the back but the 3rd seat should only be used in a pinch as it seems too close to the rear liftgate to be considered safe for young ones. It is roomy once you make your way back there so it will come in handy. All of the seats fold flat and the storage area looks great. Fit and finish seem good so far
    and the price was great when you compare it against the $73,000 Range Rover. I just hope I can squeeze 15 miles per gallon from this truck!
  • socalfranksocalfrank Member Posts: 11
    I don't know that the VW will be any more reliable. I hope so.
    I have owned 3 VWs in the past and all were very good. I also had a 96 Range Rover which was the worst vehicle I have ever owned [and I even once had a Maserati Biturbo which was a close 2nd].

I have read people on this thread and others commenting that VW dealers don't know how to treat high end customers.
    My previous Range Rover service experiences were lousy. The service department could never fix the problem on the 1st visit, never offered loaner cars, and I never got out of there for less than $500 per visit. I owned it for 18 months and had 16 documented service visits, once it was in the shop for 40 days waiting for parts. Once the parts arrived and they replaced what they thought was wrong, I got it back and had the problem reappear on my way home.

I have already had a problem with my VW. I called an 800 number, they had a flatbed tow at my door within 1 hour, offered me a loaner and had the problem repaired by the end of the day. No charge. [It was a dead battery from sitting at the port too long.]

I did have a 2000 Toyota Landcruiser. It was flawless and I regret selling it, but I like variety and couldn't see myself back in one of the same body style. Also, after test driving the V8 Touareg....well, it's actually fun to drive. Also I measured the flat floor area of the Touareg against the Landcruiser and with the seats flat in both, the Touareg was actually LARGER...I was shocked. I got a great deal on it too...$3800 under dealer invoice. So the choice was 1. get a great deal on Touareg or 2.Pay full window sticker on the LR3. For the $13,000 price difference (the MSRPs are only $2,000 apart).

What has surprised me is how many people actually compliment me on the VW. To me, it kind of looks like a bloated Passat wagon or the last Toyota Sienna, my friend says it looks like a hippopautamus from behind. It's interesting to hear how many people on this thread have commented that the LR3 looks like a Ford Explorer...I don't see that either, I think it's distinctive.
  • aveghteaveghte Member Posts: 68
    How is the visibility in the new LR3? Are there significant blind spots for the driver during lane changes to the right and left? We rejected the purchase of a Lexus RX330 because of the big rear pillar that blocks the view for right and left lane changes. The Infiniti FX45 and Nissan Murano are also terrible in this respect.

Also is the navigation system worth the extra money? It sounds very expensive but also provides more detail on the function of the 4WD system? I would prefer to have a good map myself for the $2695 extra cost!
    I hope you have a good accountant. Mine faxed me a change in the tax law, effective October 13, I believe, that now limits the section 179 accelerated depreciation write-off of 6,000+ lb SUVs to a maximum of $25,000.

So, unless you are in an 80% tax bracket, the $25,000 write off isn't going to produce a $20,000 savings.

Please post your understanding, if it is different.

P.S. At least one DC are Lexus dealer offered to pre-date my purchase of a GX470 to before October 12. When I mentioned this to my accountant, he indicated that the IRS is being very diligent about reviewing returns that include SUV purchases this year (they've hired more auditors). Stretching business use to include occasional soccer games is one thing, fraudulently dating a purchase contract could get you a date with Martha Stewart.
  • sontobsontob Member Posts: 13
    In regards to the tax question. I have a small business on the side which I can use the Section 179 deduction on. Although the maximum is 25k now for an SUV, the first year bonus depreciation does kick up that 25k a bit. However, this extra depreciation is ending on 12/31.

So, theoretically when one includes the max 25k plus the bonus depreciation plus the first year depreciation it does add up. I just received the confirmation on the projected savings from my CPA/Tax Attorney and in my case I will be saving about 20% on the purchase of my LR3 this year as opposed to waiting until next year and only saving between 10-15%. Check with your accountant. A lot of variables to consider when figuring the total savings. For me 20% is 20%...it is all a matter of making an informed and accurate decision.
    I will check w/ my accountant again. However, I'm a little confused with your reply indicating that you will be sving about 20%. That is a figure I would agree with. But your previous post indicated $20,000, which works out to more like 40%.
    Though it's the latest technology, the nav system is still kind of expensive. Most other car makers offer one for ~$2000.

We never carry a map anymore. The NAV system is so convenient that we can't live without it. I'd say it's a personal choice. Be warned though, once you use it, you may get hooked.
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    OK, I've seen a few new LR3 owners who have turned in their (new style) Range Rover's in for the LR3. I know you haven't had the new vehicle for very long, but is there anything you miss from the RR? As a 2003 RR owner near the end of his lease looking for a new SUV, I'm wondering if I should even be considering going back to a new RR if the LR3 is just as good, if not better in some areas. There must be SOMETHING the Rangie has over the LR3 and not just 10 pieces of wood. :-)

From what I've been reading so far, Land Rover may have shot their Range Rover sales in the foot.
    Regarding the tax savings that end this year:
    You get to write off $25,000 under section 179 and then you get to write off 50% of the difference of purchase price and the $25,000.
    (30,000 x 50 % = 15,000)(Bonus Depreciation) This totals over $40,000 in write offs provided the truck is used for 100% business use. In my tax bracket that equals almost $20,000 in state
    and federal tax savings. Prior to October 22 or 23 you were able to write off the entire purchase price!

As far as missing the Range Rover: I do miss the
    body styling of the Range Rover. The shape is classically beautiful. I guess I will miss the "snob appeal" factor that came with the Range Rover but thats about it. the LR3 rides great, looks good , is more practical and so much cheaper.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Socalfrank, you're a savvy car guy so I wonder what your thoughts were on a Cayenne V6 vs. the Touareg? With the V6 and not many options the pricing is quite close to a an SE LR3 with perhaps better resale, better ride, etc. Having said this, in New England the Cayenne V6 units are scarce, those that do exist come in with often 8K of needless options, and the dealers can be difficult. (They get cranky from having to practice saying Por-Sha all day long).
    blckislandguy,

I test drove both and I currently own a Porsche 911. Between a Cayenne V6 (VW engine) and a Touareg V8, there is no comparison, get the Touareg.

Cayenne is not a better ride. It's more sports tuned but not more comfortable. Porsche is also dumping a large number cars into the US market. Not sure how the resale value is going to hold up. Their strategy has been mass producing their models for profits. That has hurt the resale of even the top end models like Turbo's and GT2's.

Yes, most Porsches come with a lot of options. That's why you can't just compare the base price with other cars. The dealership get you on the options as part of their normal business.
    Does the LR3 NAV system allow the passenger to enter a new destination address while the vehicle is moving?

Thanks.
  • sport320sport320 Member Posts: 11
    No it does not, we tried it while on a test drive and the only option was for "SOS" which included nearest police station, nearest hospital, and nearest dealership. Of course it made us wonder when the dealership we were at wasn't on the list! They said they bought the franchise six months ago.

With all the concern about reliability, that is making us nervous to purchase the LR3, a brand new design, with a brand new dealership and mechanics if anything does go wrong.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to get a locking glovebox on the LR3. We couldn't find one and the dealership did not know the answer.
    sport320,

Thanks for mentioning it. I didn't check when I test drove the LR3. It's so basic that even the Kia has one.

Does that mean there is no valet key as well?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Probably not worth worrying about, unless you have valuables in there that might be stolen in valet parking.

If someone breaks into your vehicle they won't hesitate to force open the glove box to see what's in there.

My policy it to actually leave it open, so that anyone can see that there's nothing worth breaking in for.
  • 5discos5discos Member Posts: 3
    I tested the LR3 and it drove quite nice. Better than any of the 4 Discos I have had. But I can't get over the ugly rear styling.

I say wait for all this new technology to get the bugs worked out and get the new Range Rover Sport next year instead. LR is putting out information now on RR Sport on the LR web site (Great Britain site).
  • 5discos5discos Member Posts: 3
    I tested the LR3 and it drove quite nice. Better than any of the 4 Discos I have had. But I can't get over the ugly rear styling.

I say wait for all this new technology to get the bugs worked out and get the new Range Rover Sport next year instead. LR is putting out information now on RR Sport on the LR web site (Great Britain site). The styling is amazing (actually looks like a Land Rover product) and you get all the technology of the LR3.
  • gw123gw123 Member Posts: 64
    I own a ML320 and have an LR3 on order. I think one of the appeals of the LR3 is going to be what I consider to be the best third row seating configuration in the market.

Until the Acura MDX/Pilot came along, Mercedes had one of the best third row seats for a mid-sized SUV. The problem with many third row seats is that there is no additional foot room. The Lexus (which does make a great car, I also own a LS430) SUVs have an absolutely terrible third row seat configuration. They basically took a 5 seat SUV with a large flat rear deck and stuck two fold down seats on top the deck - so your knees touch your chin for any adult who is foolish enough to try to get into the third row.

Mercedes has a "cut-out" for the third row which allows a person's feet to be on the same floor level as the other two rows. The problem with the Mercedes seats is that they fold up and block the rear side windows to get out of the way (cuts visibility significantly). Or, the seats fold down in a way that most things you put on top of the third row seat back slides off to the back, and then falls out when you open the liftgate.

The LR3 has great third row space for a mid-sized SUV. Lexus offers no decent third row, and the GX has a left opening rear door that requires a lot of clearance behind the SUV when opening the door.

The Acura/Pilot has a decent third row configuration (but still smaller than the LR3). Volvo's third row is useless except for small children.

So unless you are willing to "go large", like an Infiniti QX56/Nissan Armada or other large SUVs, there really isn't another product on the market that has a decent third row for large kids or adults (Acura/Honda as the other option). Fold flat seats are so much better than the Mercedes or Lexus designs.

The LR3 rear door design is also very smart.

The visibility from the driver's seat is excellent.

All in all, a great design. Now let's hope the quality matches the great design.

By the way, stay away from the ML. Way too many problems to even begin to list.
    Fully agree with your assessment of third row seating.

For you, coming out of a M-class (worst reliability of any Mercedes model), the LR3 is probably a reasonable risk. However, I am comparing to the Acura and the Land Rover reliability factor is a major concern.
    Thanks for the encouraging words that the LR3 should at least be better than the M-class.

A neighbor of mine has an Acura and has a number of complaints and problems with the quality of their MDX. Even my Lexus LS430 just had a recall where they replaced the transmission (and their quality ratings across the board are excellent). I think any vehicle you get is likely to have some problems.

But, if reliability is a key concern, I would think the Acura would be less risky than the LR3. Size-wise, the Acura is still a little on the small side if you need to use all 7 seats (about the same as the M-class). Their fold flat configuration is much better than the M-class.

Perhaps is all the glass in the LR3, but the inside just seems much larger.

One problem we have is with transporting kids to school. By the time they put their full backpacks in the second row, along with any musical instruments, they really cannot fit into the M-class. We actually took the backpacks and instrument cases to the Land-Rover dealer and stuffed them all into the second row - and there was still room for the kids!

Of course, we moved the front passenger seat up quite a bit, but that seat isn't really used when the kids go to school.

We too have a tough call between the MDX and the LR3. Since there wasn't much improved on the 2005 model MDX, we priced out a loaded 2004. The price difference is substantial between the 2004 MDX and the 2005 LR3 (I know I'm comparing a 6 vs. 8 cylinder).

In the end, we decided a MDX is just a better configured M-class and opted for the LR3. We may end up leasing the LR3 for 2 to 3 years to minimize the downside of it being a lemon. If it turns out as well as we suspect, then we'd buy it at the end of the lease.

Good luck on your purchase. I think that you have the "best" 2 choices out there for a good 7 seat SUV. In our case, the added space of the LR3 ended up tipping the scales in its favor.
  • phillyphilly Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up our LR3 SE after shopping the MDX, XC90 and GX470. So far we could not be happier. People continue to stop and ask "what is that" and all have positive things to say. Smooth and quiet. Just the ultimate mid size 7 seater. Not even close if you compare all the features for the price. If you don't need the NAV get the SE. Dealer is more likely to work with you on price.
    What kind of price did you get and please post your gas mileage after you have re-filled a couple of times.

My wife appears ready to rule out the GX due to the third trow configuration. The LR3 is the best, but the MDX is acceptable. Besides reliability, fuel efficiency is a bit of a concern. Friends with a Range Rover just confirmed that they have averaged 13.1 mpg over their first 30,000 miles. Other friends with an MDX cliam they have averaged 20+/-. We don't have serious off road needs, but do need an SUV capable of handling 12-18+" of snow.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    habitat1, simply compare the official EPA MPG. That's what it's for... to compare. They go through the same test.

MDX V6 is 17/23 [19 combined]. LR3 V8 is 14/18 [16 combined]. RR V8 is 12/16 [13 combined]. GX 470 V8 is 15/19 [16 combined].

As I posted before, we see around 14-15 mixed on LR3... and hit the EPA highway rating (18) on, well, a very long highway drive. (Note: My MPG determined using physical gas usage, not on-board computer.)
    Thanks for the response.

However, notwithstanding your experience that falls in line with the EPA estimates, my recent experience has suggested "simply comparing" EPA estimates may not be an accurate estimate of real world experience.

My 1995 Nissan Maxima 5-speed, rated at 22/27, has averaged 23.9 mpg on 153k miles, and still gets 28-30 on the highway.

My former Honda S2000, rated at 20/26 averaged 22.2 mpg for 18.5k miles and would get 30-32 on the highway at 75 mph.

My current 2004 Acura TL 6-speed rated at 20/30 has averaged 18.5 mpg for 10k miles and gets 15-16 in light city driving, 28-29 on the highway. Clearly, while Maxima and S2000 achieved or substantially beat their EPA highway estimate, the Acura TL is falling well short of this "relative" rating compared to the other two.

So, as of right now, I'm not taking the MDX's rating of 17/23 too seriously until I can validate it with real world experience. Your LR3 experience comforts me that, low as the EPA rating is, at least it's achievable.
  • youngturkyoungturk Member Posts: 30
    Is the rear seat DVD entertainment system for the LR3 available now? Does anyone have it in their LR3? Are you happy with it?

YoungTurk
    As I understand it, the DVD system is dealer installed. Our dealer suggested we get one installed by Best Buy or Circuit City instead as the cost is much less than what the dealer would charge.

We did see the DVD in action on the MDX and immediately knew that we could not get a ceiling mounted DVD system. If you are driving while the back passengers are watching the DVD, you cannot see out of your rear-view mirror - you just see the back of the DVD screen. (You do see a little out of the sides, but imagine driving while you have something very large in the back area that obstructs your view - that's what the ceiling mounted DVD screen looks like).

We decided to wait on the DVD. If we really want one installed, Circuit City will install 2 headrest mounted screens for $1500. Or better yet, just buy 2 portable 7" DVD systems for $300 a piece and let the rear seat folks have one screen each. They then could watch individual movies. They could also take those on airplanes or use in other cars as well. The only downside is that all the people in the back aren't watching the same movie.
  • jackmacjackmac Member Posts: 26
    New user, first time post. Planning to order an LR3 HSE, all factory options, and look forward to keeping up to date on this board. I've test driven most of the competition, and waited for LR3 release to make a final decision. Needless to say, it was worth the wait.

DVD is not yet available, but will soon be as a dealer installed option. Local dealer here will also install third party unit in headrests. You can order it now with your LR3, build it into the price (so it comes with the factory 4 year warrantee), then dealer will install when available. If you do it later after purchase, just has a 1 year warrantee.

From Landrover Customer Relationship Center:
    "From the factory Bluetooth will become available about 90 days from launch. There will be an accessory Bluetooth system and I believe it will fit all LR3 vehicles. The accessory kit will provide full Bluetooth functionality when it becomes available."

Decided to wait for the bluetooth option, rather than go without and wish I waited for 2 more months.

Anybody have the cooler box? If so, any details would be appreciated (does the center console look the same, is it about the same size inside, asume it can be switched "off").

Thanks!
    Here are some details
    ======================================

EXTERNAL ANTENNA CONNECTION FOR CRADLE
    Both LR3 and Range Rover have an external Antenna connection when using a cradle docked phone.

DIALING POINTS OF INTEREST FROM NAV SCREEN
    If the navigation and PTI are fitted and the map database contains the phone number of that particular POI, a softkey exists on the navigation display to dial that particular POI. This feature is available on Range Rover and LR3 if navigation and PTI are fitted.

As LR3 as of today does not have the telephone option factory fitted, so this feature (the ability to dial the number) is currently disabled in the navigations system. Please be aware that POI information can still be viewed on the navigation screen, but the softkey is not displayed to dial the number.

FACTORY INSTALLED PTI SYSTEM DELIVERY
    The PTI system is proposed to start line fitment at Land Rover manufacturing on the first week in February 2005.
    With the lead times that the vehicle has from the UK to the USA, the vehicles will get to the USA until early to mid-March, however this cannot be guaranteed as it depends on the process and timings of shipping cars to the US.

BLUETOOTH PHONE COMPATIBILITY
    Unfortunately not all Bluetooth phones operate with the PTI system. During the LR testing, it has been shown that Bluetooth has not been implemented in the same way by all mobile telephone manufacturers, nor does the echo cancellation DSP (Digital Signal Processing).

LR will soon be supplying an Information Bulletin, listing all the Bluetooth phones and docked phones which Land Rover approve with the PTI system together with the software version of the phones themselves.

NON-NOKIA DOCKED PHONE COMPATIBILITY
    LR are working currently on solutions for Siemens and Sony Ericsson cradles, however the timing for release of these cradles is currently unknown as this testing does not start until the week of Nov 15th.

Docked cradles are predominantly used for 4 reasons:
    1) Phonebook
    2) Call registers (missed, received and dialled calls)
    3) Charging of the mobile telephone
    4) External Antenna connection.

With Bluetooth these features are not available.

PTI SYSTEM FEATURES
    There is no formal marketing information currently available for PTI. However the list below details the PTI system features:

Voice Dialling:
    Voice dialling, holds up to 50 names in memory

Telephone Voice Recognition Commands:

Phone dial number/Dial phone number
    Phone redial/Redial
    Phone dial name/Dial name
    Phone store name
    Phone play directory/Read phone book
    Phone delete directory/Clear phone book
    Phone help

Telephone Sub-Commands

Correction
    Delete
    Cancel
    Store
    Dial
    Yes
    No
    Replay
    Numbers 0-9
    Double
    Treble/Triple

Digital Voice Processing:
    Full Duplex communication, noise reduction and echo cancellation

Multiple Bluetooth Phone Use:
    Up to 7 phones can be paired via bluetooth with the same PTI system.

Manual Controls:
    1) Audio volume control through the steering wheel controls and via the radio faceplate

2) System Menu access through the radio faceplate and the instrument pack if using the steering wheel controls.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Actually the cradles do not use the Bluetooth feature of the phone. The phone is hard wired into the system when in the cradle. The current cradle available for the 05 Range Rover accepts 4 Nokia phones, 2 have Bluetooth capability and 2 do not. The phones that have Bluetooth will work hands free without putting them in the cradle (with reduced functionality) or in the cradle with full functionality. The Nokia 3100 and 6200 will only work in the cradle.
    tincup47, can you "download" the phonebook from the phone over Bluetooth, or must you re-enter everything in the PTI manually if you don't have a compatible cradle? I haven't had a chance to play with the '05 RR PTI at all. (I think other car implementations I've seen allow downloading via Bluetooth.)

LR/Nokia says they are currently only planning cradles for Nokia (obviously) and Sony-Ericsson. Isn't Motorola a big enough market? Odd.
  • stevec2stevec2 Member Posts: 1
    I was informed by dealer that dealer installed DVD is available... Wiring is already prepped in vehicle... 45 minute install
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Grommet,
     When the phone is in the cradle the vehicle reads the phone book in the phone. The phone book is not available using Bluetooth. You cannot download your address book into the vehicle. You can use voice dial either way with any voice tags you have set up. You can store these in the vehicle's voice contact list using the procedures listed in the Owner's manual.
     I was under the understanding that a cradle for Motorola phones was being developed, but I have no details. There are several Motorola Bluetooth phones that will work in the vehicle though. One other thing to take into consideration is that you need to have a GSM network service to use the cradles.
  • lr3dudelr3dude Member Posts: 5
    Time for an update on my experience with my new LR3 HSE. Its Java Black/Alpaca will all options. I’m a former Disco II owner. So far no problems and love my LR3. I’ve had ML and BMW X owners stop me in the street to look at the LR3. The third row seat is a hit! Kids and adults think the apline roof is pretty neat. Lots of power, handles well and very comfortable during long rides. The navigation system works well but I’ve had trouble when I use the “Listen” mode. Might be my mumbling. Observations:
    1) I’ve driven in city and highway driving in sport mode and avg. 14 MPG and I’m very aggressive with the throttle.
    2) Radar detector does work despite the wires in the windshield, not sure yet about laser detector.
    3) Make sure you have the navigation system set to accept Toll Roads! I found myself in interesting part of Newark because the system was avoiding Tolls.
    4) Still trying to find a way to attach a key ring to the key – using a plastic electrical tie. Understand there is a technical advisory out on this.
    5) LR3 uses conventional oil, not synthetic. Only down a half quart. Other fluid levels stable.
    6) LR3 wipers cost $36 – each! I’m adding the wood kit, running board, roof cross bars and mud flaps. There was a delay in getting the floor mats but I’m going trade for the rubber mats for all three rows.
    7) I’ve had seven adults in the LR3 and no complaints. Been tailgating and the split rear door is perfect! Provides shelter in rain too. Also, make a habit of lowering the LR3 to access mode before you open the door. The rear parking distance system does not engage until the parking brake is released (Nice Feature).
    8) I’ve turned off the feature that lowers the side mirrors when you go into reverse, just was disorienting for me.
  • watson007watson007 Member Posts: 1
    I own a V8 Touareg. it is a fantastic car - in theory. Love to drive it but it has had one thing after another go wrong with it - and this is the second one I have had (VOA bought the first lemon back).

So, I am now looking at the LR3. After having a test drive I can tell you that the extra space in the car, the seats, the 7 passenger seating, NAV system are all superior to the Touareg. The Touareg (V8) is faster off the line, has less highway noise, and has far less body roll in turns than the LR3.

Even so, I am hoping that reliability of the LR3 is better than the Touareg. (For the full Touareg story visit my web site http://www.badtouareg.com)
    Great info. I've had mine for a week and I'm up to 13 mpg. Hope it gets better. Can I ask how much is your dealer charging to install the woodkit? Ebay has a few vendors selling nice factory type kits for $210 but you have to install
    yourself. I have the SE model with no wood at all.

I know the key thing is really silly. The funny thing is my dealer gave me a nice key ring that is absolutely useless!
    Land Rover kit items include installation in the price. The LR OEM "wood" fascia kit has real wood, and is a little nicer than just silly wood looking stickers. I'm not a wood fan at all, so I thank LR for not adding it stock. ;)
    lr3dude or anyone, does the HSE "Premium ICE" head unit display text from audio CDs that have it (CD Text: Album Name, Song Title, etc.) or track tag information from MP3 files? The SE "High ICE" system doesn't seem to. With the 6-disc changer, it's nice to know what is playing... especially if you start encoding multiple CDs into MP3 files. The FM tuner does support RDS text information, though.

(On a side note, does the '05 Range Rover show any of the info? It does have that nice touch screen radio GUI.)
  • sport320sport320 Member Posts: 11
    We have been between a Lexus GX470 and the LR3 and have decided to go with LR3. Can anyone share what prices they paid or how much off MRSP or above Invoice they paid?
  • bobt1bobt1 Member Posts: 2
    Although the LR3 is a great vehicle in many ways, it really saddens me to read many of the posts in this thread.

Third row seats, gas mileage, DVD system, ride quality, yadada...

If these are your main concerns with buying a new vehicle, buy a freakin' mini van. They will meet your requirements a heck of a lot better the the Land Rover.

Although Land Rover has compromised the LR3 with giving it IFS and IFR, it still has pretty decent off road abilities. I would have prefered to select most of the functions handled by the terrain response system, overall it still has a lot of decent technology with the locking center and rear dif's, traction control, etc. Still don't know why they would offer the rear locking dif as an option unless again it is for the soccer mom's that probably would be happier with a mini van.

The bottom line is this is pretty decent off roadable vehicle that has a lot of additional features and functionality. However, to provide the additional capabilities, it is not a car based vehicle like an MDX or such. It is a heavy vehicle with a complex driveline that will require more gas, more service, and have crappier on road performance then a vehicle that does not have its capabilities.

It is just too bad most of them will only be used to go to the mall and such, probably never used as designed. Guess I should be happy since the people buying them more as a status symbol help make it viable product and therefore available to the rest that will use them as intended.
    Hello: I received a $500.00 discount on a 7 seat SE, but we bought 2 LR3's, not one
    Sorry to offend your off-road sensibilities. There are some of us that do plan to take the LR3 camping and to the mountains and prefer an SUV over a minivan.
    The fact remains (and probably for you also) that the vast majority of the miles (or time) spent in the LR3 will be for more mundane tasks.
    And for some of us, these mundane tasks are what we call life. Having a great 7 seat mid-sized SUV is what the LR3 is all about for many of us. Having a great off-road vehicle will appeal to other LR fans.

Hope about we both just enjoy whatever LR3 features that tickle our fancy?
  • xiaodongxiaodong Member Posts: 39
    Been following this forum up to this point where I am ready to take a delivery next week of a LR3 HSE. I am quite encouraged by the enthusiasm about the new land rover at this site.
  • mmac1mmac1 Member Posts: 11
    To get back to the off road topic. Has anyone had the LR# off-road yet. Anything with thick mud, snow or somthing more than a dirt wash board? I am thinking of getting on in the next couple weeks and while most of the time it is around town, I use them for what they are made for to get away. Thoughts?
  • coopervoncoopervon Member Posts: 3
    I have an x plan pin number that my local land rover dealer will accept now. I think i might be getting the raw end of the deal. What is the percentage discount usually applied on the x plan?

Regards
    x man
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    If you are eligible for X Plan you can look up the exact pricing here:

http://www.fordpartner.com
  • coopervoncoopervon Member Posts: 3
    thanks I will look.