Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    OK... that's good to know. Of course all I know is what the recall notice tells me, which is not as reassuring as you. Facts help: thanks!

As for the error codes: OK, understood. I thought hooking up a PC and then an info exchange of a few minutes would be all that was required to read the error memory (which is all we wanted to do) - i.e. not 40 minutes - well, I stand corrected.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Mike, Thank you so much for such a superb detail of your experience with your 2005 LR3. I, too, have a ML500 that I will be selling or trading and the LR3 is at the top of my list. I've also been looking at the Volvo XC90 and the Jeep Commander but the LR3 seems to rise to the top when I'm making comparisons.

Again, Thank you, Mark :shades:
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Mark,

Excellent. FYI, the UK Magazine "What Car" did a big side-by-side test of SUVs a month ago: LR3 versus new ML320 versus Jeep versus Lexus versus Volvo - and the LR3 won (mercedes second, Jeep last).

Michael
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    Just had my free 7500 mile service done - called dealer (Land Rover Tulsa) and was told they were really busy, but come on in anyway - they got right on it and did a wonderful job including a computer scan of all systems - and still not a problem to be found. I did my 3750 mile service myself - what a pain...it's good to have a great dealer.

I also got scheduled for a new gas tank for Dec. 5, but I've not had any concerns - so no big deal..All's well, rosy, and great in LR3 land - so far !!
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    Just adding to the "good news" talk.

Had my 15,000 mile service and fuel tank swap on Friday. My LR3 has continued to perform well all weekend. The dealer not only washed the car, they completely vacuumed and carpet-cleaned the inside and fixed a piece of plastic that I broke.

Interestingly, the V6 loaner (7 seat, like mine) was faster on the draw from 0-30 mph than the V-8. It was not so hot going from 50-70 mph, however. Fuel economy was about the same as my V8; although "sport" mode was much worse in the V6.

Also, on an unrelated note, I added an external antenna wire to my 3rd party portable NAV device. Huge difference. I think it probably relates to the heated windshield (Faraday cage-like).
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Yeah you are right the V6 actually has more low end torque then the V8 and it a little lighter then the 8 cylinder too. If you had a stripped 6 cylinder with out the sunroofs it was even lighter.

The 8 has more top end power so that is why 50-70 feels laggy in the 6 cylinder.
  • trm2trm2 Member Posts: 42
    Is there a place to find the torque curves of the two engines? I ask because the V6 maxes out at 269 lb-ft of torque at 3000 rpm. Therefore, based on the low-end advantage I felt in the V6, the V8 (which maxes out at 315 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm) must develop about 250 lb-ft of torque at about 3000 rpm? In, other words, the torque curves must cross, right?
    The torque curves don't necessarily have the same slope though. The V6 probably has a flatter curve then the V8 so no telling where the V8 devolps 245 Lb-ft. I have never seen a graphs of either engines power.
  • colorado4x4colorado4x4 Member Posts: 29
    Michael,

On snow tires...

I ran the stock Goodyears on my 2005 LR3 SE for 40k+ miles. For the first 25k miles I would report no problem in snow and ice for highway and light country road driving. After 25k the tires went to hell! The noise inside the vehicle rose dramatically. The tires exhibited a wear condition in that every other block was worn significantly worse than the adjacent block. Severe wear also occurred on the inboard side of the tires, to the point the dealer was doing crossover rotations. The steering wheel would shutter at city driving speeds. The dealer said these wear patterns were consistent with other reports, (though at the time, they knew of no one with as many miles on an LR3 as me???)

In any case, I dealt with the tires for another 15k+ miles as I did not want to spend the US$1200 quoted by the dealer for stock replacements. The tires you are running were the only other option the dealer would quote, for US$980, complete.

After much research and chatting with drivers on this and other forums, I settled on the Nokian WR SUV 235/60/18. Install price was within US$20 of the Scorpions. (These Nokians do not come in a 19 inch yet). With a 50k mile rating, I plan to run these all year, expect on off road weekends, if I can find something real aggressive that with fit the truck.

So far, I would report the tire to be far superior to the stock Goodyears. I put them on last Thursday and put about 500 miles on them this weekend exploring in the Rockies. Quieter, dry grip in the mountain s-curves is awesome, limited snow and ice experience is outstanding. The tires stop the LR3 much, much faster on ice than the stock tires ever did. I never found the deep snow I wanted to test them in, maybe next weekend.

These tires are rated all season, but they do have the snowflake in mountain symbol (snow tire designation) for whatever that is worth.

Unless you off road in the winter, or frequently drive country roads with no maintenance (deep snow), I don't think you need a snow tire for the LR3. My Goodyears got me around last winter with out much trouble, in mostly highway and some "bad" country road driving. My only grip would be stopping on ice.

Here is an interesting review of snow tires:
    Snow tire review
  • AdamvAdamv Member Posts: 8
    As some of you may remember I had trouble with my LR3 in the snow/ice last year. Basically it was less then impressive. Well this past weekend was the first snowfall in upstate NY and my LR3 decided it was a $50,000 sled. I was going downhill on my road, slowly, and it just started sliding down. Luckily I ended up in a ditch on the left and not down the steep ravine on the right. My girlfriend nearly had a heart attack and really laid into this expensive suv. I can't blame her, it's probably the worst handling car/suv I ever driven in the snow. And that includes my rear wheel drive BMW! Later driving on a well travelled road, that no one else was having a problem with, it started skidding out again. Please tell me it's due to those stock tires...
    >>Please tell me it's due to those stock tires...

It kind oif has to be, doesn't it - gravity is the same, though this truck is very heavy... and teh electronics are fine. So the tyres and the driver are the only real difference.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    Interesting writeup, thanks for the link.
    Have you resolved the uneven and cold air from the heater vents yet? One thing I don't like about the ML is the climate control tends to put out warm air until it thinks the cabin is warm enough, then it turns cold automatically.

Another question: how is the radio reception? I thought my ML reception for FM was kind of poor and for AM even worse. And on our strongest AM station, it is crackly, actually worse than the weaker AM stations.

Finally, I haven't heard about the transmission failing to engage a gear after a stop. Does your LR3 continue with this behaviour still, a year after your writeup.

Anyone else please comment on both AM and FM reception and clarity, heater performance, and transmission behavior.

Also, for anyone who has gone on a Land Rover off road event, were there many tire failures of the factory LR3 tires on rocky terrain?

Thanks,
    Jack
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Later driving on a well travelled road, that no one else was having a problem with, it started skidding out again. Please tell me it's due to those stock tires...

Well, as a previous poster said, it could be the tires or the driver. It could also be the tire pressures.
  • AdamvAdamv Member Posts: 8
    Well as I mentioned I've never had such a difficult time. And that's with previously only owning rear wheel drive vehicles. Also last year I blamed it on the tire pressure, this year I was careful about not over inflating...

So I think I'm going to go with the Blizzaks that someone on this board mentioned. We'll see how those help...
  • unbrknch8nunbrknch8n Member Posts: 1
    Also, for anyone who has gone on a Land Rover off road event, were there many tire failures of the factory LR3 tires on rocky terrain?

Love my LR3, but hate the tires. With about 10K miles on my tires, I was heading up a rocky trail looking for some trout to annoy. Yes, it was rocky, but nothing too hard-core (and the LR3 was doing wonderfully in Rock Crawl mode). I had a tire failure (rear right tire). Admittedly, the LR3 was doing so well, and the rode was so rough, that I didn't immediately realize that the sluggishness was a flat tire. By the time I got to a spot level enough to change the tire, the tire was torn up enough that I couldn't tell where the tire had originally given out.

Then, with about 15K on the tires, I was turning right (on pavement), got cut off, and "bumped" the curb on my right. No big deal, except for the small slice on the sidewall of my rear right tire, causing it to go flat. After putting on the spare, I went to the dealer, and it was noticed that my front right tire had a slice in the sidewall (I don't know how it got there, but I had to replace that tire as well).

Needless to say, I'm not putting any more of the Goodyear tires on my truck.

I have now put 23,000 miles on my '05 LR3 SE, and (other than the tires) the truck has performed flawlessly. It is great on-road, and superb off-road (I did get it stuck in the mud once, but the only problem with the truck in that case was the idiot behind the wheel ;)) I wouldn't trade it for any other vehicle on or off the road.
  • roverineroverine Member Posts: 12
    Yes, I think it's the tires. I replaced my stock tires right away. I have them and they have only 250 easy miles on them if anyone is interested in relieving me of the privilege of storing these POSs ( I am looking for a nominal amount over what it might cost to ship them). I replaced them with a tire recommended on these forums, the Nitto Graplers in a 255-55R-18 size- about 1/2 inch less clearance than the stocks but worth it to be able to have some off road capability. This past week-end I had the pleasure of testing them in 4-8" of unplowed snow over ice in the mountains and they (and my LR3 SE7 in snow mode) were terrific. I really liked the hill descent on that snotty stuff. I had no problem traversing the 12-14 percent grades on the streets in my neighborhood (Wasatch foothills)- and I got the pleasure of watching a BMW X-5 lose control on a downgrade and slam into and over a curb and into a neighborhood shrub! I was looking forward to my first "recovery" but the beamer was able to continue downhill (at the shrubbery's expense) before that was required. My advice- lose the stock tires and you won't regret it. Roverine
    I have never been bothered by the climate control. It is such an improvement over the manual adjustment in the ML (no auto climate control on mine), I might just be feeling spoiled that I do not have to constantly twist the dial.

I have never noticed any radio reception problems, even in weak areas like western Nebraska, western Kansas, and eastern Colorado. Around town, I can carry stations much further than I could in the ML.

The transmission problem reported by others has begun to manifest itself over the last 5000 miles. I will ask the dealer about it next time I am in (~1500 miles from now). It seems to be worse after my wife drives the vehicle for a week. Someone reported that it is due to the adaptive transmission, which could explain the driver switch (I was the sole operator for the first 35k miles and never noticed this problem).

The off road pics I posted a few weeks back were from a Land Rover event. We had 11 vehicles - 6 LR3s, 3 Discos, and 2 Rovers. No one experienced any tire failures on one of the most technical trails I have been on. Keep in mind, we had a dealer full of spotters and "rock throwers" clearing dangerous objects from our path. The trail was a total washout from a downpour two days earlier. We were the only stock vehicles on the trail - everything else was seriously tricked out, build vehicles. I really cannot believe they took a half a million dollars worth of vehicles on that trail, but that's what they are built for!
    I'd have to agree with roverine. Lose the stock tires. I wish I had earlier for all but summer highway driving.

The only problems I have every experienced in snow/ice, was stopping at a downhill, tee intersection that I approached WAY too fast. I can't fault the tires or the truck for that one. That leaves only me to blame. ;)

With the stocks almost bald we took a forest road up to 10500 feet. Pretty slippery on the way down, but not out of control (learned my lesson last winter, see above).

Packed some snow in the wheels
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

and almost slid into this waterfall
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

but what other vehicle can bring you to such wonderful places?
    Hi colorado4x4,
    Which dealer did you buy from? Is that the one you went on the off road event with too? And what was the 10500 stream you drove to? What year ML did you compare your LR3 radio and heater to?
    Thanks
    Jack
    Hi roverine,
    I'm interested to hear more on the Nitto Graplers after you have them longer. Do they run quietly and ride smoothly? Did you try the 285/60 R18 size which is 1.4 inches bigger diameter than stock instead of th 255/55 R18 which is about 1 inch smaller than stock?
    Jack
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Builds post December 5th will (in theory) offer Sirius as an option (SE/HSE) and probably have Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS)...

These vehicles would arrive in North America sometime in February or March, maybe later. This is factory only and not dealer installable. As I posted long ago, "Sirius may be available late in the '06 builds, and definitely in '07 for LR3." So, we're close.

Other changes:

Zematt Silver replaces Zambezi Silver
    Atacama Sand replaces Maya Gold
    Rimini Red replaces Alveston Red

Of course, plans can change... remember PTI? "Subject to change."
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    Can xenon headlamps be installed on an LR3 that currently does not have xenon lamps? Or is it more complex because a transformer needs to be mounted as well? Is it plug and play?
    Unless it's a kit accessory, you are on your own. Fitting any factory build features on a vehicle that didn't already have it is "unsupported" and most service departments will not even attempt the install. But you can try. :)
  • flownerflowner Member Posts: 42
    There's a guy in the UK that bought used xenon LR3 lights and was able to upgrade. He a quote on how he did it

"In my case, a lowly 'S' model, they deleted the Bi-Xenon headlights to replace it with the bright pack (auto lights, fog lights etc.). Anyway, whilst browsing I came across a single Bi-Xenon light for sale, so I got thinking - would Land Rover use a different wiring harness for the halogen lights compared to the xenon's? Luckily I have a friend who is process engineer at Solihull and she confirmed they were the same harnesses. So, £45 later, I have a single xenon headlamp assembly. I plug it in and to my delight it works! But of course this leaves me with one halogen and one xenon headlamp. Out of interest I ask at my local dealer about the cost of a new headlamp assembly - £440! Now, this would have been against the principal of my cheap upgrade, so I flick through the back of the LR magazines looking for breakers who might have a D3 in. The fourth one I try has a headlamp for £40 + postage. The upshot being I now have xenons for approximately £100.

Just thought I'd share this as someone else may want to do the same? "
    Bought from Flatirons and went to Castle Gluch (Boulder County) with them in June. Missed the other two events this summer due to travel for work. Ask for Jeff at the dealer and tell him Jason sent you. He'll know who I am.

The stream is on the way to Arapahoe Pass, in Indian Peaks Wilderness. Take 72 out of Neaderland and head towards Eldora Ski area. Do not take the left at the fork to the ski area, but continue into the old mining town of Eldora. Follow this road up about 4 miles to another fork, bear right towards the parking area. Continue another 2 miles and you will find the stream and waterfall. Another 4 miles past the stream is the pass. Last Friday we tried to go back, but there was about a 3 foot drift, just outside of Eldora. I watch a Jeep struggle with it for about 30 minutes and then decided to head to Caribo Ranch instead. If the Jeep was not in the way I would have gone for it, as I found a pretty good line through the drift and the rest of the trail was reported to be smooth sailing, as reported by the snow shoe hikers on the trail.

My ML is a 2001, 320. Heated seats, sunroof, upgraded radio with sub (factory), that's about it.
    Thanks for the reply colorado4x4. I will talk to Jeff at Flatiron in a month or so and mention your name. I know the Arapahoe Pass area. I thought of the Indian Peaks area as soon as I read 10500 elev but I was thinking of the Brainard Lake entrance. I almost went to the Hessie trailhead last weekend for a snowshoe hike. I'm in Lakewood. Not sure if I'll go to Flatirons or Arapahoe Road to get my LR3, probably picking it up in March or April unless I have trouble getting what I want. Maybe we'll meet when on a Land Rover event next summer.
    Jack
    Interesting writeup, thanks for the link.

Welcome.

Have you resolved the uneven and cold air from the heater vents yet?

Not really but I live with it. Every time I turn 90 degrees left or right (Canada...) the car goes from hot to cold. Not as good as the Mercedes climarte control.. but noit terrible either.

Another question: how is the radio reception?

Been fine. No complaints and I listen a lot (I am a radio amateur and have a shortwave radio in the car too...)

Finally, I haven't heard about the transmission failing to engage a gear after a stop. Does your LR3 continue with this behaviour still, a year after your writeup.

I've learned to baby it: start accellerating slowly. If you do that it's fine.

None (I did the two-day thing). Behaved great - but it was in summer.

Michael
    Look forward to seeing you on the trails, Jack!
  • manoftastemanoftaste Member Posts: 51
    grommet, do you by any chance know how different is Zematt Silver going to be from current Zambezi Silver. I love the current silver and would hate to see it go. If all goes well and as planned, I should be purchasing mine by the end of jan. 06 but I can wait till february for the Sirius and TPMS. TPMS would be excellent on this vehicle.
    I think the Zermatt (not Zematt, sorry I made a typo) is slightly darkier. I doubt you'd notice the difference unless they were sitting side by side. We'll have to see...

Sirius should be $400, as it is for RRS & RR.
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    $400 for Sirius is still too high but much better than the $600 BMW wanted for the Sirius setup in my wife's new X5...ABSURD! :mad:

Needless to say, we said no and stayed with our transportable Audiovox set-up.
  • sohna99sohna99 Member Posts: 50
    My 2006 LR3 SE V6 is couple months old and received a letter from dealership for off road even next week. How long this event takes and is there any benefits of it?

Please tell me your experience if someone has attended this before. I'm from Sacramento, California.

BTW, what is Sirius?
  • sohna99sohna99 Member Posts: 50
    I have 2006 LR3 SE, it rained here on monday 11/28/05, going home from work, as soon as i hit the brake, the water was leaking from the front windshield and poured inside, not whole lot. I was surprised and worried, spending $48k on this vehicle didn't expect this. Hit the brake on stop light, now the water came from where the sunroof switches are...crap.........called the dealer and they said they ran the sprinkler for an hour on top of my vehicle found nothing leaking, checked sunroof water pipe/drainage was rerouted wrong. They fixed it on 11/30/05. It rained very heavily yesterday, no leakage, so I guess the problem is fixed but it is scary. I had many cars/trucks in the past and they were half the price of this, never had any problem what so ever. I think they have over priced these vehicles, and the quality is not that great. Water leaking from 2 places on 2 months old vehilce is a shame on LAND ROVER. At last I'm glad the dealer fixed the problem, and hope it won't come back. Hope it won't happen to you but if it hapens, dealer suggested that bring the car to the dealership right away so they can see where the water leaks coming from.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sirius is satellite radio. More here:

XM & Sirius Satellite Radio

Steve, Host
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    sohna99:

If you have no off road experience I highly recommend that you go to the event with your truck. It will really show you what your vehicle is capable of doing off road. You will never know the power of a Land Rover unless you take it off road where it really comes alive. Most likely there will be instructors there to guy you through the rough sections.

The first time I took my Discover II to Hollister Hills OHV park about 1 hour from San Jose California, it blew my mind what the truck was able to do there, and that is considered to be a tame park. I now have an LR3.

Sirius is satelite radio.
    once you pay for the factory Sirius option, are there any monthly or yearly subscription costs, etc.? Also, is there a place/site yet where i could check out the new silver you mentioned.
    Subscription? Yes. See http://www.sirius.com

I don't think there are any places you can "really" see the difference, but you can look at the not so useful web samples on the UK site:

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles/Discovery/Exterior/colours.htm

Remember to ignore the colors,err, colours that aren't available in North America. ;)
    Our first Sirius equpied LR3's will start arriving in January according to my latest pipeline report. They are production weeks 49 and 50. The new silver is just a couple of shades darker then the old so I doubt most people will be able to tell the difference. The complaint was that at a distance the Zambezi silver looked like white zermat being a little darker should solve that problem.
    ...was excellent. Locking centre diff, snow mode and raised mode were all needed when this morning I drove at my country home in 30+ cm (about a foot) of fresh snow. Boy, I was glad to have the LR3: ordinary cars would have gotten stuck.

In other words, I was impressed. And yes this was with stock tyres.
  • concernedroverconcernedrover Member Posts: 1
    I purchased year ago. First vehicle never got off the lot. Current vehicle in operation since 30 NOV 04. Began showing coolant level warning 10 months in service. Dealer said fault sensor. Took in to dealer for 15,000 service four days later stalled in Rush Hour Traffic with full tank of gas - No explanation. Towed to dealer, in shop 3 days. Fuel tank replaced at same time. Driving home from work yesterday engine system warning light comes on. Any one have a clue?

I shopped around for this and really love the vehicle. But it's a joke to keep taking it in the shop for days at time and no diagnosis. No fix. What's up?

concerned

P.S. you have to mount your satellite antenna outside cabin to get decent reception.
    Did you ever get an update on the missing lumbar support from your rep? Or at least find out why "electric lumbar support" is even mentioned in the LR3 manual? :) Any other "changes" I didn't hear about?
    Hey Guys, I am "SO" on the fence about getting an LR3. I plan to drive one this week. I'm sure it will drive great but I CANNOT have a vehicle that will not be trust worthy as I drive across the country at least once a year and go on short driving trips quite often.

My brother's 2003 LR Discovery II has been very reliable and no trouble at all. I'm hoping that the 2006 LR3 will be the same.

I'll let you guys know how the test drive goes.

Mark :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • roverineroverine Member Posts: 12
    Hi lr3maybe: I have the 255-55R-18 Terra Graplers- I went smaller to avoid some of the rubbing issues with the larger tire-plus I did not want to have to air down the spare to get it to fit. The 55 profile means I lose 1/2 inch clearance. I have not noticed a perceptible change in the speeometer readings- and I checked them by a hand help gps unit. They are a little noisier than the stock tires, as one would expect- but not enough to worry about- especially given the gains in traction. As to wear- the jury is still out, although others on this and other forums have said that they seem to wear well.
  • saileastsaileast Member Posts: 16
    Mark,
    Go for it! I have HSE 2005 12000 Miles no major problem. When I go to dealer for service the only LR3's there are in for service as well.
    Thanks for the encouragement Saileast... I'm going to the Land Rover dealer tomorrow to check on a Black LR3 HSE that I saw today. Actually, I'm pretty flexible on color as long as it has all of the options. I don't want a dark interior though.

My local dealer only had 3 LR3's that I could see.... a black HSE, a silver SE and a white SE... so, we'll see tomorrow what pans out.

Mark :D

PS. I picked up a Consumer Report magazine that tested the LR3 and it was not favorable. It makes me feel unsure about purchasing but I'll check them out for myself. Consumers Report gave it a black dot on reliability.
    Mark, you really expect Consumers Reports to give a Land Rover Discovery, err, LR3 a favorable reliability dot? :P

And I thought you were leaning big-time to the Jeep Commander...

Passed my 1 yr. anniversary... all is fine. I personally don't give Consumers Reports any weight on anything but mass market high-volume products.
    Grommet, yes, I was thinking strongly about getting the Jeep Commander but after looking at it for a second and third time it just started to look cheap. I don't like all of the "bolts" that are prevalent around the wheel wells, headlights and on the dash board. And, the third seat is WAY too tight; the cargo area floor is also too high.

I compared the Commander and the Volvo XC90 very extensively and the I have fallen in LOVE :blush: with the Land Rover LR3. I can deal with a few glitches as long as the dealer can fix them the first time.

I was just at the San Francisco International Auto Show and I compared all three vehicles that I mentioned above and the LR3, to me, just shines above the others in style, quality and fit and finish.

I like the fact that you can get front and rear bumper sensors and heated seats for front and second row.

I'm going to try and test drive an LR3 today, I'll let you know how it goes.

Mark :)
    thanks grommet
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    Michael -
    Which stock tires to you have? Mine have the Goodyear Wrangler HP's and I was sliding all over in about 2" of snow. Thanks
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    Everytime I take my LR3 (05 Tonga/Alpaca HSE) on another 600+ mile trip, I expect the worst - having read all the negative crap on this forum - and am always pleasantly surprised because the thing is just so perfect for all occasions. At first I just thought it was just a nice vehicle, but now, at 8000+ miles, I'm in LOVE with it !!

I had my gas tank replaced yesterday, and the service was absolutely great. I drove a new 06 Loaner 250 miles and noticed that the rear seat headrests were a different design - otherwise it was just as mine - perfect.

All I can say is: WHAT A GREAT VEHICLE !!!