Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Mac, thanks for posting that picture, boy I wish I knew how to do that.

It's not hard Mark, the following is copied from the Edmunds Town Hall 'Help' section.

"Question:

How do I post a photo in the Forums?

Answer:

You may post a link to a photo or insert the photo using the standard html tag for an image.

Or you may use the HTML formatting provided beneath the text box. Type the subject of your photo in the "Title." In the message text box, click on "Img". This will insert the first portion of the image tag. Insert the URL of the photo after it. Then click on "Img" again.
    Click on "Post My Message."

NOTE: Photos must be uploaded to a web site or hosting service. This will generate a URL that you can use in the above tag. Please contact your Internet Provider to see if they offer this service. If not, there are free image hosting services such as Imageshack.us and Photobucket.com.

Photos that hamper our page to render, either the photo is too large in size or file size, will be removed by the host."
  • sean16sean16 Member Posts: 3
    I just got back from a long road trip (600 miles round trip) through 2 mountain passes with plenty of snow and Skiing in between.

I have a 2006 LR3 HSE with running boards and roof box which I had broken in with 600 miles prior to this trip.

(The Good News)
    The LR3 handles very well indeed. The acceleration for a vehicle of this size amazes me. I had no trouble passing other SUV’s/Cars up the mountain pass on hard pack snow (factory tires). The visibility was great and on the trip down, the defrost worked awesome. MPG on the highway, even in the mountain passes was right about 17 MPG I had been getting 10.4 during the break in period for city driving, so it was nice to see that gauge pop up there a bit.

(Side note)-I am going to add this as I have seen many posts regarding chains/snow tires

Since the dealer wanted 650.00 for the dealer approved chains, and they didn’t look all that simple to put on (and I was required by law to carry chains) I did some research for other options. I decided to try the spike-spider (which the freelander uses) based on a recommendation from Les Schwab. These things are amazing as far as how quickly the go on, and they never come near the back of the wheel (spike-spider.com) These are still a bit spendy (400.00) but the fact that you can put them on in under a minute (found it took me 2 minutes) and take them off in less than a minute (had many people asking me if they were always that easy to remove and put on) I figured I was worth the money especially since it was 250 less then the dealer chains. FYI-I did make several calls to the service manager to get his opinion, but he never did return my calls.

(More Good News)
    The LR3 with the factory tires handled really well in fresh snow (was a bit surprised after reading so many articles to the contrary) We received 20 inches of fresh stuff over a 36 hour period, so I had many opportunities to test this baby out. I did end up in the ditch (if you can call a 4 foot bank of snow a ditch) when another vehicle lost control and I swerved to miss it. Fortunately a little rocking back and froth and we were able to free the car and move on. I did need the chains twice; as the road conditions iced up on the way to the resort, and they worked amazingly well once I recalled the correct way to install them.

(The Bad News)
    I am hoping someone else can tell me if either of these has happened to them. First, with all the snow, and of course the ski gear and cold weather, the inside windows fogged up like crazy and I constantly had to hit the max frost button. This created a ton of moisture, to the point we thought the sun roofs were leaking but later determined it was just condensation (a lot of it) Anyone else run into this?

The other issue was with the door molding. It came off when I closed the driver’s door, possibly from snow being on the running board. This is kind of odd, since you have to open the door, and it would seem tat would clear the snow away. The molding did not go back in very well, so it’s going to the dealer next week to be fixed.

Well that’s enough of a novel so far, comments on the issues would be great.

Sean
  • manoftastemanoftaste Member Posts: 51
    sounds like you had some fun. I just got mine (same, ,06 HSE) yesterday and am getting around 11 mpg so far with driving style beating grandma's. Can't wait to finish the break-in period of around 600 miles so I can go on a long trip. Did you put the chains only on the front wheels or both front and rear?
    As part of breaking in my new LR3, I have been really easy on the RPMs and accelaration. According to the Manual, one should not "labour" the engine for the first 500 miles or so. I have a really steep ascending driveway. When I parked last night, the engine had to do a lot of work to push the 3 tons up.

I might be wrong but as a solution, tonight before driving up my steep driveway, i selected the Low Range and then drove the truck up. It seemed to took less effort on engines part and less RPMs as well. Does this sound like an Ok thing to do for atleast during the break-in period.

Also, does leaving the car parked like that (Nose up) in a steep incline pose any immediate or future problems. Like engine not being adequately lubricated enough for the cold morning pre-drive warm-up run.

When, I asked my dealer about the break-in procedure, he said that there was no need for break-in these days. But LR3 manual talks about breaking the car in properly for the first 500 miles or so.

Do the tires have any break-in rules as well, like not driving above certain speed for a certain number of miles or keeping a certain air pressure etc.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    manoftaste, you really don't need to worry much. Just vary RPM and don't blatently abuse the vehicle for a bit and you'll be fine. You honestly don't need to worry about any of the stuff you mentioned. :) Do check your tire pressure... close to the numbers in your driver's door entry sticker. (The dealer should have done that, but it can't hurt to check.)
    The LR3 & RRS clock sucks, especially since it disappears while PTI (Phone) is active. (What were they thinking?)

It really needs to be in the instrument cluster. If not displayed all the time, it should at least be available while flipping through the trip computer pages.
  • drmoss_cadrmoss_ca Member Posts: 1
    Sean,
    I always see a lot of condensation from snow on boots etc in winter. One thought occurs to me though - when you used the max. defrost program it didn't turn on air recirculation did it? That would make things much worse.
    We don't have much snow as yet in Nova Scotia this winter, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Chris
    I had my dealer put in the mud flaps, front and rear at the time of delivery. Damage, $348 before tax. Feel like I was gouged a little. Mud flaps list for $140 for both, so the labor was for more then 2 hours? Total cost with tax: $378.
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    Mmm. Checked out the Land Rover site and paid the $19 or whatever for a day's access. Interesting reading. There's also some scary stuff there... here's a few of the possible Damocles' swords my VIN range has awaiting it:

- Will my paint deteriorate? The fact that LR have issued a special paint map in order to "categorise and understand the paint complaints" could be a tad worrying...

- Will my parking brake clip break? (LA206-002)

- Will my hood start vibrating and moving due to the known insufficient room (LA501-004)?

- Will my A-pillar start leaking (LA501-006)?

- Will I get water ingress (LA501-012)?

- Will my seat cushion develop a gap to the back rest (LA501-011)?

Now don't panic: these are all "just fix it if the customer complains", and every complex technical system (even a Boeing 747) has constant bulletins and improvements, so presumably the answer is all "no, don't worry", but with my long road trips, half of me thinks I'd be happier with the systems fixed before they have a chance break, not after... what say you?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Will my parking brake clip break?

Michael, you get my 2006 award for the correct spelling and usage of 'brake' and 'break' in a motoring related forum, and what's more impressive is that you used them both in the same sentence!

Believe me, it's a feat rarely observed. :shades:
  • nesuvnesuv Member Posts: 10
    I just bought front and rear flaps from the dealer, $80.73 apiece. I put the front 2 on in about 15 mins. They attach using the existing 3 screws in the molding on each side. The rear 2 come with additional hardware but I haven't put them on because it was too damn cold out!
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Wow, the mud flaps seem rather expensive but about what I paid to have them installed on the 2002 ML500 that I traded for the LR3.

I know I've said this before but for those of you who now have the mud flaps, just be careful going over rocks, snow drifts, ice formations because the mud flaps aren't flexible. I broke my front drivers side on the Mercedes while "off roading" and almost lost a back one. The back mud flaps (on the Mercedes) are attacked to the rear bumper cover and I didn't want to lose that!

If the LR's mud flaps were flexible, I would buy them but since they are not, I'm really afraid that I will lose one since I will go off-road occasionally.

Just my .02 worth. Mark :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Believe me, it's a feat rarely observed.

Indeed! I can attest to that. And I noticed you didn't spell it "feet!." ;)

tidester, host
    As I said before, I haven't broken them off yet in 13 months... even doing pretty hard off-road stuff. You really can't use your ML500 mud guard experience as proof they'll break something on the LR3. :) Even if a mud guard broke, it really wouldn't do any damage to anything else on the LR3.
    Grommet, I'm glad you haven't broken one and probably never will. Also, the LR3 can raise up so that might make all the diffrence in the world when off roading.

Another thing that happend to me, I like to back-in a parking spot sometimes and I almost broke a mud flap then too. The curb was really high and, thank goodness, I stopped before I broke the rear mud flap. Once I got out and saw it, I had to pull the vehicle up as it was pressing really hard on the mud flap. :sick:

Because of that experience, (for me), I'll pass on the mud flaps. It's just one thing I won't have to worry about. As far as rock chips, etc, the lower trim pieces are plastic, as you know, so I feel protected there.

Happy Off-Roading to all! Mark :)
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    hey guys, can i go on a long trip (4 hours or so constant driving at about 65-70 mph) before finishing the breaking-in period (of about 600 miles). The drive is gonna be around high altitude freeways around mountains and stuff, so the engine will be working a little bit.

grommet, i know you mentioned that i should not worry about the break-in too much and just drive nice and easy for a bit, but what about driving nice and easy but for a constant long time like 4 or 5 hours.
    Michael, you get my 2006 award for the correct spelling and usage of 'brake' and 'break' in a motoring related forum, and what's more impressive is that you used them both in the same sentence!

Oh, good to hear that. My typing is bad (brain faster than fingers), but my spelling is excellent... I have a real bee in my bonnet about spelling, if you will forgive the punny metaphor!
    No problem at all, sure you can go on this trip. Good idea in fact. Just vary the speed somewhat: instead of 4 hours at 65mph, so 30 minutes at 60, then 10 at 65, then 45 at 70, and so on.
    I'll be going on a driving trip starting Friday. It will be a 26 hour trip to California covering 1,900 miles. It will take about 4 or 5 days to go there depending on how much ground I want to cover. I currently have about 750 miles on the Rover now after one month of ownership.

Once about 10 years ago, I drove the same trip with only one night on the road. I will never do that again! I drove about 10 hours the first day and 16 the second.... wow, I was tired!

I try to do the trip rather leisurely and just stop when I feel like it. My buddy will be going with me and I'll leave the Land Rover at my other house for about a year until I have to bring it back to my home state for tag renewal. Even with the long trip every December and January, I'll only put about 10,000-12,000 miles on the vehicle per year.

Mark :)
    http://today.reuters.com/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=businessNews&storyID=2006-01- - - -09T021355Z_01_HO907951_RTRUKOC_0_US-AUTOS-WHIPLASH.xml

"Seats in only six vehicles -- all SUVs -- earned the highest rating in the IIHS analysis, including the Ford Freestyle, Honda Pilot, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Land Rover LR3, Subaru Forester, and Volvo XC90."

Now you know why some people don't like the head restraints: They are safe. :shades:
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I saw the blurb on the news last night but they only mentinoned the vehicles that got poor ratings not the ones that did well. Those headrests are very good and once you get used to them you actually kind of like how they hold your head or at least I do.

Here is the direct URL for the test.

LR3 Test
    Now you know why some people don't like the head restraints: They are safe

No: I don't like them because they push my head forward and give me a headache. They are ridiculous and should be at least an inch further back.

This is an emperor withouth clothes: these headrests are supremely uncomfortable because they push my head forward an inch. All the government rules, safety reports, and good intentions do not change that: I say again, THEY ARE UNCOMFORTABLE AND GIVE ME A HEADACHE. THAT is why I do not like them, not whether they are or are not safe. They give me a headache.

And when you read the article you see:

...geometry (distance behind and below the head of a seated average-size man)

So these monstrosities are made for "the average-sized man", and they are NOT adjustable. How dumb is that? If you are not average sized or shaped, tough.

That is just bad thinking - which I presume is why most other car makers quite rightly ignored it.
    michael, don't hold back. :D So, what's this I hear you about you not liking the head restraints? ;)

Did you have your LR3 head restraints modified by a 3rd party?

From your 1 year review, you stated "The seats are perfect for driving long distances. I can easily drive 12 hours (and did that after a business meeting yesterday) without getting at all tired." and make no mention of your comfort issue with the head restraint.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    I know it really comes down to personal preference, but is the beige outselling the ebony on the darker colors? My choice is black with beige, and it seems like all of you are getting them with beige, but my dealer only seems to be getting ebony on the inventory. Unless of course the beige ones are getting sold so early!
  • colorado4x4colorado4x4 Member Posts: 29
    I have had the cross bars for since purchase (about 46k miles). IMHO lots of road noise with these. You might try the round bars that kkone suggested.
    tdo123, the dealers normally have choice of what color combinations they order. So, they pretty much steer what you see and what they sell... Some combinations are rarely ordered by dealers or customers. (Green with Black, for example.) It's about 50/50 here in general.
    I have had my covers for about 11 months. All three rows. They fit very tightly, though do need adjusting every other month or so. The middle seat cover for the 2nd row requires removal and replacement of the seatbelt mount. Have the dealer do it for you, it took about 90 seconds.
    "From your 1 year review, you stated "The seats are perfect for driving long distances. I can easily drive 12 hours (and did that after a business meeting yesterday) without getting at all tired." and make no mention of your comfort issue with the head restraint."

Nah, I've not had them modified - I live with them by tilting back the seat back further than I would like.

So the seats are fine! It's just the headrests. The seats means the surface, firmness, shape etc of the seats. And indeed they don't tire me at all. The headrests on the other hand push me when I do not want to be pushed, so I have to drive with the seat back way back. Yes, it is doable.. but I must say - and you picked this up very well :-) - that indeed I resent having to do this because the LR3 designers have decided I must not have an adjustment option!
  • ron504ron504 Member Posts: 9
    I have been comparing SUV's for a few months as my RX330 lease is up in two months. I had narrowed to the Volvo XC90, Lexus GX470, and 4Runner Limited (I realize the 4Runner is a little off but I actually liked it better than the Lexus). Then I drove the LR3HSE and really liked it. My concerns are fuel economy, power lag (My test drive was around town), and reliability questions. Not so sure it's better for the price. The 4Runner would satisfy my needs but the LR3 is so attractive and so much more forward. The GX470 just didn't impress me, especially that rear door. The Volvo has a few features that appear a little cheap and, although I am quite impressed by how comfortable and safe I felt, it just didn't seem very brawny. Please let me know your thoughts and maybe while your'e at it just make my decision for me. Thanks!!!
    Recipe for fun - 29 degrees F, 25 mph wind, 24 inches of ice, and about 20 Land Rovers - LR3, RRS, RR, Defenders...

Yesterday my dealer, Flatirons LR in CO, sponsored the first event of 2006 - Ice Racing on Georgetown (CO) Lake.

This was insane! My wife entered the women's division and took second (missed first because of my backseat driving). I only took fourth in the men's division (should have listened to her tips).

These three ton behemoths handle very well on ice. I am running Nokian WR SUV tires after the stocks wore to the threads. If you do not try to push these vehicles to the limit you will never truly understand the incredible value you got for your hard earned money. Running the LR3 on ice proved that technology can control this monster on the slickest surface around. I am even more confident in the safety of this vehicle after this weekend.

I hope your dealer strives to give you as much of the "experience" as mine does.

A few pics:
    Don't go over the dam!

And they're off!
    ron504, use search... I'm pretty sure those exact cars have been discussed this in this very forum multiple times, not to mention their own respective vehicle forums.

Did you compare to the V8 version of the XC90? If you don't need any hardcore off-road or any of the unique features of LR3, it's a good alternative bet -- and pretty quick. And if you're really keeping the 4Runner on the list, you might as well add a common '06 Explorer, too. :P If fuel economy is a real concern, you might as well cross off LR3 as it's probably the worst of the bunch due to it's heaviest-in-class build... but they're all pretty bad. If you really care, you need a different class of vehicle...
    Ron504, I purchased a 2006 LR3 HSE about a month ago. I did the same comparisons that you did by comparing 3 vehicles. Mine were the LR3, Jeep Commander and the Volvo XC90. One of my main criteria was it needed a comfortable 3rd seat. The LR3 was best followed by the Volvo and then the Jeep.

Pricewise, the LR3 and the XC90 were neck and neck the Jeep Commander was about $10,000 cheaper (MSRP).

I did not compare the Toyota 4 Runner so I cannot say anything about that one. The Volvo had very short sunvisors with no adjustment once you move them to the side (I think I'm the only consumer that it bothered). Secondly, the nav screen pops out of the dash and seemed smaller than the LR3. Also it was tilted forward and I'm not sure if it adjusted because I didn't touch it. It just so happened when I was looking at the Volvo that the sun was hitting the dash; I could not read most of the instruments on the center console. The nav controls are on the back of the steering wheel. If you have a passenger that would like to control the nav, they said there was a remote the passenger could use. To me, that sounded like the nav was an after thought.

Compared to the LR3, I found the Volvo's second row seat difficult to fold over to get into the third seat. Maybe I wasn't doing it right but it worked perfect for the LR3 the first time I flipped it up.

The Commander came up short in so many area's for me. The third seat was the tightest and the rear load floor was raised 3 or 4 inches when all the seats were folded down. And, the dash looks cheap to me. It has wood grain but it's all below the big plastic part running across the dash. (I added the wood dash to my LR3 and it looks great)

The Jeep passenger seat is only a "4 way" automatic. It will not raise or lower, only back and forth movement. I didn't like all of the "bolt" design from the dash to the wheel moldings and even in the headlights. But, the Commander does have a good drivetrain and strong engine.

The Lexus GX470 lost immediately with the "big" swing-out back door. If you are in your garage and if it's a standard size, you will have to open the garage door to get anything out of the back because there will not be enough room for the big Lexus door to open. The hanging third seats get in the way compared to the other three vehicle I just mentioned.

Good luck on your search! I think the LR3 will win!

Mark :D
  • sohna99sohna99 Member Posts: 50
    When I bought my LR3 V6 SE from dealer in sept'05, he told me that V6 doesn't come with navigation system. Is this true? Is it possible I can get installed or its not a good idea? Any input will be appreciated.
  • sohna99sohna99 Member Posts: 50
    I use to filled up my LR3 from safeway gas because of closer and convienent but last time I filled up from 76 and noticed improvement in avg milage even though driving under same condiotions and in town.
    Did you guys see any difference too?
    Which one you guys think is the best fuel from all the different stations?

Thanks in advance.
    Navigation is factory only and yes, the dealer is correct, it's not available on V6 trims in North America. If you want some sort of Navigation, you'll need to use a third party product -- talk to a custom shop, or slap a portable one on the dash.
    Get the tom tom system it is pretty good and the monitor fits right in the cubby where the factory navigation goes.
  • ron504ron504 Member Posts: 9
    Mark, Thanks for your help. I agree with most of your views. I found the Volvo seat configurations a little easier to deal with than you. I am considering the SE with Cold Climate Pkg, Lighting Pkg. & rear parking, Integrated telephone and the HSE with everything. About a $5,000 difference.Ron
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    British Rover:

I have been looking for a Nav system to fit into my LR3 as I did not purchase one (and wish I did). Which Tom Tom model is the one that fits well? Do you have that system in your LR3? Do you have pics to post or e-mail?

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • pandboypandboy Member Posts: 28
    A local dealer has an used LR3 V8SE with Nav 5 seat and lighting package, but no cold and towing packages, 5000 miles. I tested a couple of times, really liked it, although there is check engine light on but promised will be fixed. Otherwise, the SUV is in excellent conditions. After reading about many electric problems with the model, I am reluctant to pull the trigger since the closed LR dealer is 100 miles away. The price is at $36K. Worth gambling on it :confuse:
    Pandboy, I wouldn't worry about the engine light because the vehicle is under warranty. Did the dealer say why the vehicle was traded (assuming it's a 2005)? Was it a buy-back?

I'm hoping my 2006 LR3 HSE doesn't give me any problems but my dealer is only a few miles away. I would have to say if my dealer was 100 miles away, I would have to think long and hard about driving that far for service. I think I would pass on a Land Rover product because of the distance.

Mark
    If the car was bought back (a lemon), the title would be flagged as a lemon and it would be immediately disclosed. In general, car dealers don't sell lemons. They go off to auction land.
  • pandboypandboy Member Posts: 28
    The LR3 was a daily rental car and built on 09/04. Does early VIN tend to have more problem? Appreciate your suggestions.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Today my dealer told me that that the RR sport is stealing some would be LR3 buyers. I guess that would be those that don't need the 3 row seat.

Are you dealers seeing that also???

As a guy with a large family, I am going to need the LR3....if I can locate Black with beige however!!! :)
    Isn't that obvious?... Just like it pulls some Range Rover buyers. More "bling" and less utility is enough for many...

Do note if you have a "large family", you aren't going to have a lot of space if all 7 seats are in use in the LR3. You need a van. :P
    I decided to put a plastic protectant in the plastic wheel lip moldings. The protectant gave it a nice "low gloss" shine and darkened the moldings a shade or two. It actually looks nice.

While I was visiting Newport Coast this past summer, I saw a black LR3 with matching painted wheel lip moldings and bumpers. It looked gorgeous. I had wondered if that was an option but I have never seen another like it. I guess the owner had the panels painted.

I acutally like the fact that I have plastic since I will be on the highway and for parking lot dings. I just hope no one pics the "smooth as glass" side door panels to bang up! :sick:

I'm using 100% cotton baby diapers to wipe down the Rover as not to scratch the shiney black finish. They seem to work perfectly.

Happy Motoring. Mark :D
    Yes, they were painted -- not an option. (I see it often on Honda Element, which has more unpainted plastic that the LR3.) I personally think it takes away from the LR3's design. If someone needs more "bling", there is Range Rover Sport. :P
    I am not sure what model it is it just says Tom Tom on it. It is a selve contained unit about 4.5 inches accross I guess with voice activation and everything. You can either suction cup it to the windshield or mount in the cubby hole at the front of the LR3.
  • jjgghhjjgghh Member Posts: 13
    I bought an LR3 (Darien, CT, dealer; I live in NY) in April 2005. After 9,000 miles of flawless performance, I got my suspension fault today. Dealer says they can't figure it out and and are on the phone with Land Rover. Not very encouraging. Has anyone else had this problem and had it fixed by the Darien LR dealer?

This is my first high-end vehicle, and, while I love it, I'm pretty pi$$ed. If this is not quickly and permanently corrected, I'm selling this :lemon:
    One fault and it's a lemon? Sorry, it's going to take little more than that. It could be the compressor, it could be something else... regretably, it is sometimes difficult to diagnose. Since it's a newer vehicle... experience at some service departments, especially with smaller dealers, is often low.
    Was it an amber suspension fault or red one? Amber is not so bad, will sometimes self correct and you can still drive the car. Red is bad and you should not drive the vehicle but have it towed to the dealership.

The LR3 is a pretty complicated vehicle and has not been out on the market all that long if you think about the lifespan of a model. It could be that the Tech at Darien has run into a problem he is not familar with and is checking with Land Rover to see if someone some where has seen the problem. By doing this he benifits from all of the Land Rover Techs in the whole world and hopefuly someone some where has seen the problem and reported the fix to Land Rover.

Give them sometime to correct the problem. I would not start calling my car a Lemon after a single trip to the dealer.