Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• airsharesairshares Member Posts: 1
    Since i bought my 06' LR3 V6 the alignment has never been correct. Its been in 3 times for alignment in less than 5500 miles each time at a different dealer. It never tracks straight and the wheel is cocked to the side to drive straight. Also, ive been chasing a slight steering wheel shimmy at varing speeds mainly 50mph-60mph. Ive had all four wheels balanced 3 times now. 2 times at a tire shop and the most recent was done at Land Rover. Dealer is trying to tell me its normal on the car. What kind of garabe is this? They took me on a tour of their shop and its all state of the art alignment and wheel balance equipment. Anyone having these problems our did i just get a problem car?
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Mark,

Glad to hear it is going well. I have been waiting to see your post. I guess you couldn't wait to put on the first segment update. Don't forget to use the windshield heater.

Drive carefully!!!
  • jjgghhjjgghh Member Posts: 13
    I picked up my 05LR3 yesterday from the dealer. They said they fixed the suspension fault. Took them a week, but after lots of trial and error, found water somplace it shouldn't have been. Not a fun experience, as I've treated a lot of much cheaper trucks worse than my LR3 (which has been babied by comparison) and never had a problem with them.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I'm in Arizona now with just about 250 miles to go tomorrow. On my drive today (500 miles), the computer said I was getting about 20.5 mpg. I went up to 7,300 ft. elevation at the Continental Divide and it's downhill from there!

I really have nothing to report as everything is working perfectly, even the Bluetooth!

The heated windshield removes frost very quickly (I'm going to love that!); no scraping. The lady next to me this morning at a hotel that I was staying in was scraping her late model Pontiac G6... I just hit the "master" button and went to the ice machine to fill my travel cooler. When I came back, everything was clear; she was still scraping!

I find the driver's seat very comfortable for long drives. Since the sun is low in the sky and the sunvisors don't "move" once you position them to the side, I bought two dark gray knit hats to slide over the end of the sunvisor. It works perfectly to keep the sun out of the 2 inch space between the sunvisor and the B-pillar. Maybe Land Rover will make adjustable sunvisors one day like Mercedes. :P

Happy Roving.. Mark :)
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • dpalmer1dpalmer1 Member Posts: 6
    What phone and carrier were you using with the bluetooth system? I have a new LR3 HSE on order and would welcome feedback on what phones and carriers work well. I currently use Sprint PCS. Thank you.
    D... I have Verizon wireless and it works perfect.

Mark :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Most modern Bluetooth capable phones will probably work just fine. It's really not so much about the wireless carrier... it's about the phone.

If you want full functions (phone book access, call log access, call waiting, charging, external antenna, etc.)... you are still stuck with the few cradle capable phones, of course.
    Thanks for the response. What phones are you guys using? There are only six listed on the Land Rover wireless site (and only one Nokia that works with the cradle). Additionally, they do not list any phones that work with Sprint.
    dpalmer1, I just bought a Motorola Razr phone. It is much fancier than the phone it replaced and has a lot more functions. I find it hard to hit the right key as the face of the phone is very flat and it's easy to hit another key. It does speak the number as you push it which helps.

Mark :)
    I finished my cross-country trip and here is the mileage report.

I drove a total of 1,777.6 miles
    I used 100.112 gallons of premium.
    My actual average was 17.76 mpg, the computer avg. was 18.21 mpg, a difference of .4566666 per gallon. So, it's close. Much, much closer than my Mercedes computer which was off about 2 to 3 mpg (on the optimistic side).

No problems during the four day drive, I just need to get a wash.

Mark :D PS. The odometer has a current reading of 2,680.
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    Just for curiosity sakes can you check your tire pressures and let us know what they were please?

Thanks
    Johnmajor, I just checked the pressure and I have 39 lbs in the front tires and 48 lbs in the rear. They are reading the exact pressure as when I picked the LR3 up at the dealership on December 6th.

Mark :shades:
    Thanks, Mark. It's good to know that Verizon's Razr works (a CDMA phone) - the wireless4landrover.com site only lists Cingular's Razr, which is a GSM phone. What functions are you able to use with the LR3's PTI system? Sorry for all the questions, but there is alot of confusion at Land Rover over phone capatibility with the PTI.
    Use search for more info. Anyway, PTI over Bluetooth is fairly basic:

1) Obviously, answer and drop phone calls.
    2) Store and dial voice tags and phone numbers in the LR3's voice recognition system.
    3) Dial "live" by speaking the phone number.
    4) Dial phone numbers (or generate touchtones) using the keypad on the radio head unit.
    5) See the phone number of the caller on the stereo head unit (not the name).

If you have a phone connected via cradle (not Bluetooth), you gain:

1) Browse your actual phonebook and calling log via the radio head unit.
    2) Display the name of the caller on the display (if entered in your phonebook.)
    3) Display signal strength.
    4) Charge your phone.
    5) External antenna.
    6) Turn off your phone from the head unit.
    7) Call Waiting support. (Answer 2nd call and switch between them.)

I probably missed something... that's what I remember.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I think you got all of it.
    dpalmer1, looks like Grommet covered just about everything which is way more than I know about it. The reasons that I changed phones was for the "handsfree" feature while I'm in the LR3, for the "camera" phone and the slim-line design of the Razr. I will be away from my LR3 about 6 months out of the year (every other month). The other cars in the household don't have bluetooth so I will be using my phone just like before.

Have a good day. Mark :)
    Grommet and Mark:

Thank you for the help. I will keep the forum posted on my experience. I am going to try to see how some of the Sprint PCS bluetooth phones work. It seems that nearly everyone who has had the best luck so far are using phones from Verizon and Cingular. I spoke with Land Rover, and their list of Sprint compatible phones only included three models, all now discontinued. When I spoke with wireless4landrover.com, they said they were not aware of any Sprint phones that would work. So, I have decided to find out for myself and experiment. Thanks for the help.

By the way, Grommet, I have seen your postings in other LR3 forums. You are quite helpful on a number of topics. Thanks.
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    The dealer today kindly updated my video firmware. They also found a bad battery (replaced) and a faulty power amplifier (also replaced).

They also looked for the extended mode issue but could not reproduce, so told me they could do no more than check the sensors and connectors (they did: all OK). Of course just 1 minute after I left the shop, sure enough: "Suspension In Extended Mode: Lower When Clear Of Obstacle". (There was no obstacle). Any suggestions?
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    The sprint phones (Blade, 920, etc) work just fine on the RR and RR Sport. I would assume the LR3 also.
    Great to know. You are the first person I have encountered who has indicated some experience with the Sprint phones. I think you are referring to the Samsung phones? Does the phone number show on the RR's display on incoming calls? Can you use the phones built-in advanced voice recognition, or do you have to use the RR's system? Thanks.
    dpalmer1, if you use the vehicle PTI controls, you are limited to the features the PTI offers. So, you can't use your phone's specific features unless you use the handset directly.
    thanks, once again, grommet
  • avicennaavicenna Member Posts: 1
    We're considering an LR3 and we do a lot of off-road, on sand driving. Can anyone comment on it's sand/beach capabilities?

Thanks
  • xchicagoan5xchicagoan5 Member Posts: 46
    I leased my LR3 SE V8 in December of 2004. It hasn't been the best experience because of the little bugs, but it has been the most family accomodating SUV we've ever owned. So, we want to get another one. Does anyone know of any dealers honoring the X plan? Through my company I can get the plan as long as a dealer will sell it to me for that price.
  • eleanorbrowneleanorbrown Member Posts: 2
    We have had to have our 2005 LR3 towed in TWICE for a suspension fault where the car locked down so low the wheel rims covered the top portion of the tires. Waaay low. could only drive 30 mph or less (and the car was lurching all over the place). Today the LR3 message boards displays another "suspension fault" and the suspension height lever doesn't always go where you want it to go. sometimes up, sometimes, entry height, etc. not locked all the way down YET ANYWAY. dealer service isn't much help in finding out what is making our suspension fault...this is the third time. Wish i had an answer. We are off road drivers in the Colorado high (very high) country and if this happens when we're off road, the mechanics will have to come to us because there would be no way a tow truck could reach us. big problem!!! eleanor
  • knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    My wife's LR3 had this problem when she first got it a year ago. The dealership had a heck of a time finding the culprit. They swapped-out the compressor, switch and everything else until they found the problem. It turned-out to be a bad connection at the ECU. Some pins had been pushed in incorrectly at the factory. Specifically it was connector C2321 pins 1,6, and 7. May not be your problem, but it's another possibility that could be eliminated.
  • eleanorbrowneleanorbrown Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. What is the ECU? eleanor
    Basicly it is one of the on board computers that controls much of the vehicle.
  • lr3dudelr3dude Member Posts: 5
    I drive my 2005 LR3 HSE extensively off road at the Assateague national seashore in Maryland and Virginia. Just put the terrain response into sand mode and deflate your tires to 15-20 lb and you are good to go. I usually put the height in off road mode to minimize the sand getting in the undercarriage. Excellent ride at normal or off road mode. Don't need to use low tranmission range and I have the heavy duty pachage with locking rear differential.
    What british rover said. It stands for Electronic Control Unit. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with all the control modules in the LR3 to tell you whether or not it was the main ECU, or a sub-system control unit.
  • marczmarcz Member Posts: 17
    I just came across your post #3248 and am wondering whether your solution would work in my 2005 SE. The car has all factory options (but of course not the Logic 7 system found on the HSE). If it will work, could you explain what is required to connect the phone to the AUX input? I currently have a Nokia phone with Cingular service. Thanks for your help.
  • cunryacunrya Member Posts: 1
    Sand??? Well I can not comment specifically on sand driving but as far as off-road in general this vehicle is absolutely amazing. I picked up a new 06 on January 18th, test drove Tues drove straight back up with the Stroker and trailer wednesday afternoon and told em to load the gray one with 4 miles on it. No need to clean it up either as it was headed offroad ASAP. Trailered it home and went straight to my trails (literally no pavement involved) to see exactly what I'd gotten. I was amazed at how well this thing will perform in mud, slop, rocks, hillclimbs, and suspension punishing articulations, not to mention the 2.5 ft waiding depths it achieves with no leakage (hey it just screamed I wana go swimmin). As for sand none around here but get those soccer mom tires off of it and it would be almost unstopable (even with the wranglers on there was so little wheel slipage it almost left me yearning for a way to turn the traction systems totally off) No buyers remorse here whatsoever, and so glad I didn't end up with another Landcruiser (love them but this is absolutely no comparison) Dealer hooked me up with an X-Plan plus I had my $1000 rebate from Detroit Autoshow. Under 56K out the door with an HSE Loaded up with every possible goody including the rear locker. All I can say is go for it ou wont be disapointed.
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    Just a cable that plugs into the Treo700W and the other end to the AUX input. Thats it!

The Treo end is a 3/32 and the Aux plug is 1/8 from memory.

It is not difficult!

There are 3 pages of voice commands for the phone from making calls, pulling up contacts etc.

Look at http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo700wverizon/
  • kimskingkimsking Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2005 LR3 and I'm having a devil of a time figuring out whether this is an issue or not.

When driving over rough road/terrain (e.g. cobblestone, rocks, etc) I hear a clunking in the steering column as if its loose or something. I believe I've had the SRS coupler assembly work done but problem is still there. I've heard this noise on loaner and other LR3s (more or less). Has anyone else experienced this issue and is it a problem? Help
  • lr3_magiclr3_magic Member Posts: 18
    I have felt the same thing on my 2005 LR3 HSE. It is a feeling as if something is loose. It feels like a clunking in either the steering or a suspension bushing. Happens when you go over a rough surface where one wheel is traveling over the surface and the other is not. I have and work on old British cars which if they had this clunking feel, I would say it needed new bushings somewhere.

I voiced my concern about this to my service department on three different occasions and each time they cannot find a problem. Last time I suggested they give me an LR3 as a loaner or we go out a test drive a new one to see if it makes the clunking noise or has the same feel. I have also noticed that my steering seems to have about 1" to 2" of free play in the steering before the power steering activates and starts to turn the wheels. Both items give me the impression that something is looser or not right up front. Will post any information that I get or if I get to drive another LR3 to compare, what it feels like. I don't remember the steering feeling this way when I got the vehicle in July, 2005. I currently have 7900 miles.
    Hi folks, here is the wood dash that I had installed in my 2006 Land Rover LR3.

Thanks for the reply lr3 magic. I thought was going nuts. Its odd that there aren't many complaints or discussions about this on the forum. Are we the only ones experiencing this issue?

The problem seems to be getting more noticeable as time goes on. By the way I have about 6500 miles and also bought my car in July 2005.
  • xiaodongxiaodong Member Posts: 39
    Mine has the same problem. Mine is a 2005 LR3. I have this HSE since Dec 2004 and have ~13000 miles on it. I only started to notice the problem since late 2005.
  • colorado4x4colorado4x4 Member Posts: 29
    I am approaching 50k miles and brakes still squeaking like they have since 10k miles. At least they have not needed replacement yet....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Despite the Jeep's remarkably car-like driving dynamics (for a large, solid-axle box), the Land Rover has the overall advantage in term of on-road behavior. The steering is even lighter and sharper on the LR3, and the ride quality is higher (not surprising consider its IRS advantage)."

Jeep Commander versus Land Rover LR3 (Karl on Cars)

Steve, Host
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    I've got 9500 miles on my 05 LR3 HSE and have yet to experience any problems or faults, however...on rough sections/roads/trails the front end sounds like it's gonna fall apart just anytime. Add the noises from the HDC and you'll want to run away from the Rover as fast as you can and buy a Toyota...Oops, my '03 Toyota 4x4 truck front end clunks and bangs as if it had gone a million miles too !!

Happy Rovering
    The HDC noise is normal they all sound that bad and as long as you still have the green light and it does not turn to amber you are ok. If the amber HDC lights comes up that means you have overheated the system.
    This noise appears without the HDC and is disconcerting. It's as if the steering column is loose and knocking around. If anyone out there has gotten an explanation on this, it would be very helpful. It seems to be prevalent enough that Land Rover could say whether its normal or not. Personally, I can't believe its normal.
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    Does anyone have any real world comparisons (meaning you've driven both or better, owned both?

I am looking at both these vehicles, and am having a difficult time deciding which better suits my needs.

One one hand, the Porsche carries with it less off-road capabilitiy than the LR, but I am only going to be taking it off-road a half-dozen times a year. (Camping, beach, etc)

On the Other, Porsche seems to have better throttle response and more pickup than the LR.

The LR seems to have about 50% more space for cargo, and have better visibility, and also seems a better buy for the money (a v-8 HSE is about equiv. to a Cayenne with the v6).

anyways, any input is greatly appreciated.

/Don
    I have driven both, take several Cayennes in trade, and you can't compare them at all. The LR3 is a real utility vehicle with incredible offroad capability. The Cayenne is a sports car want to be with very tiny cargo space and some off road capability. The LR3 weighs almost 6000 lbs empty and the porsche weighs what 4800 lbs or so? Of course the Porsche is going to have more pick up.
    Could you post a link to the LR wireless site? I couldn't find it anywhere, no matter how hard I google'd it..

Thanks!

/DA
    I've got to agree with british rover on this one. If you want an suv that has sports car like pick up, than the Porsche is it. I've only been the passenger, but that thing took off like a bullet. But those same friends took it out with my wife and I to the desert in Borrego Springs, CA and it didn't fair that well. It got stuck in a couple of soft sand spots and had a hard time going up a few small hills(clearance and slippage). But to be fair, my wife and I weren't in the wifes LR3, we were driving a highly modified rockcrawler. But still, my wife and I both thought, based on our experience with off roading the LR3, that the Porsche shouldn't have had any problems with the terrain we were driving in. But luckily it's weight made it easy for us to winch out with the little Suzuki Samurai. The Porsche is a very nice vehicle though if you limit it's off roading to trips to the ski slope parking lot and dirt overflow lots.
    Ok, just out of curiosity, where could you rent one? I would love to do this for an extended test drive...

Thanks!

/DA