Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    Look here: http://www.wireless4landrover.com/index.html

From the website, it (aparently) looks like only the Nokia 6230 can dock in the cradle. Don't buy one from this site though - the prices are exhorbitant.. you can get a new 6230 unlocked off of ebay for less than half what they are aksing on that site.

/DA
  • sfmsfm Member Posts: 8
    Checking in to leave happy news:

When I returned from my longer-than-expected-weekend-in-VT-while-waiting-for-my-replacement-tire-to-be-s- hipped-from-OHIO :mad: trip, I brought the LR3 in for service to have the suspension compressor replaced by the new model part. Note to "29 days"...I accomplished this by calling Land Rover NA in New Jersey and escalating to the VP of customer service...this got my part on a priority ship list to my dealer and earmarked for me. I encourage you to use a "polite squeaky wheel" method for these remediation issues. It works.

About 1000 miles of metro/suburban NY driving later--no suspension faults. I'll keep you posted but I'm feeling good about it.

As for the full-sized spare...now my gas mileage is even worse ;) The sensor read 40mph to go on the Merritt Parkway in Greenwich the other day...by the time I got to the Westchester Airport (where I figured there'd be gas at the car rental return) I was at 0. Poor me! It was almost 10 miles up to Exit 3 on 684 to gas and I ALMOST made it. Luckily, roadside assistance was sweet and not-at-all condescending as they dispatched my rescuer and 5 gal of gas :blush: . I'm posting in public so that no one can blackmail me on this to my husband. (I won't tell him if you won't!. Yeah! Roadside assistance! I may be an idiot, but I'm an upscale, Land-Rover-driving idiot!) :)
  • colorado4x4colorado4x4 Member Posts: 29
    An LR3?

Try Hertz:

Hertz Press Release
    I suppose an honest question to myself would be "How often am I really going off-roading?" and "What do I see as the more bang for my buck factor?"

I think you get more options for your money for the LR3, but frankly the posts I've read here are starting to scare me away (Air suspension, front end looseness, steering wheel issues, etc) I know every car has it's ups and downs.. but the air suspension issue a lot of people are posting sounds like a scary one.

Another issue that came up when I was talking with my wife is the selection of colours... the LR3 has only 2 interior selections... and 8 paint colours? Cayenne's got 11 exterior, and 9 interior choices.. not a big deal, but I want a brown leather interior with silver exterior - silver and Beige don't quite sit well with me (IMO).

In either case, it's a hard decision for sure.. and I appreciate everyone's responses very much.

Thanks to all,

Don
  • knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    Your off-road question is no doubt the most pertinent. Many of the additional features you get with the LR3 are off-road enhancement features. As for reliability, my wife's LR3 now has about 30k miles on it and has 3 problems, 2 were electrical in nature(I know, electrical problems and LR are nothing new), neither of which left her stranded. Beyond that the vehicle has been outstanding. But still, that Porsche had eye-popping pick-up and slightly better on-road manner's than the LR3, both of which aren't bad for suv's by any stretch of the imagination. For me, a simple folk that drives a Ford F-350 as his daily driver, both the Porsche and the LR3 seem about equal in the confussing button, knob, and interior gadgetry department. So in summary, you're right, tough call.
  • pbroverpbrover Member Posts: 43
    I purchased a 2005 HSE7 white w/tan interior (currently 4,500 miles)

Go with the car the fits your lifestyle and gives you that "mmmmmmmmm" feeling when you see and drive it. We currently still have are 99 Disco II 133,000 miles. Land Rovers give me that "mmmmmmm" feeling plus with three kids under 7 years old, we camp, we explore the Sierras, or any dirt road in the west. If my LR3 has issues it goes in the shop,"under warranty", and I deal with it! ;)
    I will probably go offroading about 5-6 times a year, and even that would be only light off-roading (provincial parks, etc.)

Other than that, I've only got the Canadian winters and screwy road conditions to deal with...

My wife and I have got a really hard decision ahead of us.. One of the other factors is that the LR3 is a (relatively) new body and platform, while porsche is doing a new redesign for 2007... I don't really want to get into one now, and have it look dated within a year..
    LR has an appeal because they don't overtly change body and platform styles all that much over time, so even if you have an older model, it is difficult to distinguish from a new one (for non-experts, of course.. :) )

Does anyone have an estimate or idea of what the sales numbers are for a LR3 and Cayenne in the North American market?

/DA
    You can go to the www.ford.com and look under investor information; then look for sales numbers links. I have no idea about Porsche...I think they are a private company :surprise:
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    They are private so no idea at all. I am sure that Land Rover Sells probably a little more LR3's then Porsche sells cheyenes but the car has been out long enough now that you see many more of the porsches.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    In the U.S., LR3 sold 1369 units. Range Rover Sport sold 1400. Porsche Cayenne sold 1028.
    Grommet,

Yesterday when my wife was pulling away (2005 HSE7, it looked like her left rear tire was not setting at a right angle to the pavement;it looked like the top of the tire was tilted-in. Do you have any thoughts or history with what I am observing? :confuse:
    Was she in access mode when she pulled away?

When the LR3's are sitting low because of the nature of the air suspension in the rear the tires will sometimes sit at funny angles. But they should move back when the air suspensioni goes up.
    Wow - White car - how do you keep it clean? LOL. My wife and I have decided against the following exterior colours:
    White, Black (or anything dark for that matter), red.

So far silver appeals to me the most (I know, EVERYONE gets silver - but when it gets dirty you really can't tell - is it silver, or just a darker silver?)

Just curious if anyone can comment on the interior - is the black interior (carpets, leather, etc) hard to keep clean? I've got two (small) dogs that shed a lot(a lot like big dogs :surprise: ) , and the rear seat covers are looking like a good option...

/DA
    What brand and size tyres are on the newest LR3 HSE with the 19" rims? I'm curious what a replacement is going to cost...?

Thanks!

Don
    In the quick specs on the web site, it lists the middle-range stereo as having an AUX port for iPod connectivity - but doesn't mention it in the Logic7 specs - any ideas? :confuse:

/DA
    There's an AUX port in the rear of the center console with the Logic7(HSE) systems. The tire's on my wife's HSE are Goodyear Wrangler HP's. TireRack lists them for about $235. a piece.
    As long as you get a SE LR3, even if it is a V6, you get the AUX port in the back.
    I always thought white was the easiest to keep clean..LOL. I have owned silver and dark gray cars before, plus I live in California where it doesn't rain for 7 months out of the year...to everbody his own!I have 3 girls under seven with a tan interior. To protect the interior I did the following:

1)If you get tan then I can tell you where to get custom fitted seat covers for all seven seats because Land Rover only makes water proof seat covers that are dark gray/black (www.autoseats.com).
    2) To protect the hatch area I purchased a cargo protector & tailgate cover from www.hatchbag.com. Love it!
    3) Also www.caninecovers.com has some great options.
    4)I purchased the Land Rover rubber floor mats, then I hand cut clear car mats to cover the carpeted areas that were not covered by the Land Rover mats.
    5) I know your dogs are small, but you should check out the dog cage options that Land Rover offers..pretty trick.
    I just realized I missed the tire size protion of your question. They're 255/55R19.
    All very good info - esp. the link to the hatchbag.com site..

I appreciate it!

/Don
    :)
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    I have an expensive German SUV that kills its battery if it is parked for a couple weeks. The dealer tells me this is normal because of all the computers.

Has anyone parked their LR3 for a week or two or more and had their battery die or have you parked it without a problem?
    We have LR3's that ist on the lot for weeks at a time with very little if any use and they don't kill batteries.

Even our showroom LR3 with people opening doors and stuff normaly has enough juice for at least two weeks before it dies if not longer.
    Thanks British_Rover.
    Anybody else have one die or let one sit for weeks with no problem?
    A Mercedes tech told me that the air suspension compressors fail a lot, especially on vehicles that live at higher altitudes, because they work harder at altitude.
    I asked why they don't just pressurize the air springs and then stay off and he said they constantly adjust the pressure to level the vehicle, even in turns while driving. He said the problem was on BMW too and all the high end Mercedes.

This does't make lots of sense to me since you could never pump up the air springs fast enough to react while driving and the difference in high altitude atmosphere vs. low altitude is small in comparison to the pressure in an air spring.

When does the pump in the LR3 run? Just to change the ride height and occaisional load leveling? Or does it run frequently. Can you hear it if it were to run while driving along?

By the way, I might need to change my user name from lr3maybe to lr3onorder. I ordered one so I could get it my way (V8,SE,silver/alpaca,Cold Climate, Heavy Duty, Lighting Package).
    If you listen carefuly while you are driving the LR3 you can hear the compressor run randomly if the radio is off. It will autolevel the car side to side and front to back. The side to side leveling is part of the Active Roll Mitigation system and works really well off road.

On your test track you can actually see that the vehicle is not tilted as much as the landscape.
  • jenny7jenny7 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an LR3 after owning a Range Rover...Buy the Range Rover if you can....I have been living a nightmare with the LR3 and am going to arbitration over it....It is cool and a great off road vehicle but the "coolness" wears off when you see it being towed off repeatedly and it dies for no reason on slopes in front of approaching traffic on windy roads....I have children and don't feel safe anymore....I have had it in the shop for 39 days and counting....At least Land Rover of America could offer one in Lemon Yellow!!!!I just don't wish that on anyone else....the Range Rover has had a few things but nothing that I cannot live with....Really think about it if you haven't already and if you have, get and keep a good warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!Also they will try to blame it on the gas but you know I noticed a message from someone in Florida with the same issue......Ya think he is buying his gas in the northwest and having it fed-exed?????...they honestly called me and told me it was because the fuel in the NW has more fillers in it and that the East Coast was not reporting problems.....Blah Blah Blah.....
    I was on gone for 2 1/2 weeks... and no problem. Garaged, though.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Jenny, I have had my 2006 LR3 HSE (black/alpaca) for about two months and no problems... I have 3,050 miles in it now. Occasionally, I will have the suspension fault light come on but when I turn off the vehicle and turn it back on, everything resets. I LOVE this vehicle. Also, I would not be interested in the Range Rover because I want seating for 7 people. Also, the storage in the rear of the LR3 is absolutely amazing! :D

I'm sorry that you have not had good luck, it can happen with any vehicle. :sick:

Mark :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    thanks grommet, that's what I wanted to hear.
  • grendalflygrendalfly Member Posts: 21
    I have left mine at ORD longterm parking for two weeks in cold and snow. No problems at all..
    I travel a lot so mine tends to sit for weeks at a time and so far no issues. I do keep a battery jumper/air compressor in the back though. So far I have only used it to help others.
  • jackmacjackmac Member Posts: 26
    I've noticed new items available on the Land Rover USA website (LR3 Accessories Builder). Sorry if this is old news.

It now shows the G4 raised air intake and rear ladder :shades: , along with numerous chromed parts :surprise:
    Not that old... last month or so. Most are still not "in stock"... but they will be soon, supposedly. The chrome "bling" bits are too much for LR3... but I'm sure some will enjoy it. (I've seen the chrome mirror covers installed on a Range Rover Sport, which has the same mirror as LR3.)
    New North America LR3 Kit Accessory Part Numbers:

The "useful" stuff...

G4 Raised Air Intake (Snorkel): ADL780010
    G4 Rear Ladder: AGP780020
    Underbody Protection Shield: KRQ500010

The "bling" stuff...

Chrome Mirror Caps: VUB503880MMM
    Body Side Moulding with Bright Finish (Chrome): DGJ500011MMM
    Chrome Finish Door Waist Rails: BHR780310

The "bling" stuff I don't have the part numbers for, yet...

Chrome Finish Air Intake: N/A
    Chrome Finish Tailgate Trim: N/A
    Chrome Roof Rails: N/A

There might be a few more accessories added the the list, but these are the more significant ones. (Other regions may also have items we won't be offered... like OEM 19" Chrome Wheels & Painted Wheel Arch Moulding for select colors.)

FYI: Not all these items are orderable yet.
  • tzotzo Member Posts: 95
    Jenny, I had an occasional stall problem as well as a serious occasional gas leak (onto the exhaust pipe no less). Apparently that was all the cause of a faulty gas tank vent mechanism. Once they replaced the tank, filler hose and vent mechanism, all is totally well.
    Car has been rock solid in extreme heat and cold, off road and on. While initially ticked off with a few foibles and the stalling problem, now we're very satisfied with the performance of the LR3, esp in cold snowy weather. Tires still suck though... LR needs to get with tire companies and get real offroad tires available for 18 and 19" wheels.
  • nesuvnesuv Member Posts: 10
    I just had 7500 maintenance and neither the oil or service indicator lights that come on when you start the vehicle were reset. What is the secret code for reseting both of these? I can't find the procedure anywhere.
    Mine isn't enabled, personally... nobody I know has it enabled around here. If active, the dealer normally resets it using the Test Book hardware after completing a service interval.

However, this manual procedure may work:

* Press and hold the trip reset button.
    * Turn the igntion to position II
    * The display should flash SERVICE for 5 seconds and then display SERVICE constantly.
    * Release the reset button with 10 seconds, and you'll see "OIL" on the display.
    * Within 10 seconds, hold down the trip reset button for more than 5 seconds and the oil counter will be reset. (If you hold for less than 5 seconds, the reset will be skipped.)
    * Repeat the last step for "INSPECT" and "DATE", for Inspection Service and Date Service, respectively.

(If any of these indicators are disabled, they won't be displayed.)
  • cleaner_guycleaner_guy Member Posts: 4
    I'm a ridiculous car fanatic. I read Edmunds news every day and actually check back several times during the day just in case I missed anything. I love all the info and love to research all the tech data on new cars and SUV's That being said I have probably owned 10 cars over the past 15 years and I'm now ready for my next one. I'm considering a new RR LR3 HSE. The problem is that I have owned a RR disco a few years back and it was absolutely terrible. I will not bore all of you with the details but lets just say it was less than satisfactory. Now for some crazy reason I want another one. The fact that it looks so different and has weird controls actually draws me to it again. My current vehicle is a JGC Limited and I see about a thousand of them every day on the road. Am I just crazy to re-buy another RR? Please Help
    Its Land Rover LR3 not Range Rover. Land Rover is the make Range Rover is the model if you are buying a Range Rover.

The current Land Rover models imported into the US are Land Rover LR3, Land Rover Range Rover and Land Rover Range Rover Sport.

Confused yet?

That being said go drive an LR3 and then drive a Disco back to back you can't even compare the two.
  • cleaner_guycleaner_guy Member Posts: 4
    I actually knew that but was so focused on trying to explain myself that I missed typed RR instead of LR. I know the difference, there is the one I really love RR or RR sport but can not afford and the one I can afford the LR3. I'll take your advice and drive them both back to back. I sat in the LR3 at the car show and really liked it. Also I should add that when I had my old Disco there was only one LR dealer here and they were very small and extremely over worked. We now have two dealers that are both fairly large and sell Jag and BMW also. I think the one even has a few Aston Martins to drool over. Thanks again!
  • nesuvnesuv Member Posts: 10
    I forgot to mention this is an '05 LR3. I couldn't get this particular procedure to work. The guy at the dealership seemed to think there was a sequence to hitting the brake and shifting to reset it. I remember being shown a similar sequence on an XJ8 Jaguar.
    Any ideas would be appreciated. :)
    Sorry, that's all I have. It might be invalid now. None of that procedure worked? (You are using the trip reset button on the odometer/speedo, right?) If you are talking to a guy at the dealership, have them do it using test book... like they should have in the first place. :)
  • bmk007bmk007 Member Posts: 27
    For those of you that weren't aware, it is very easy to connect your Ipod to the LR3 stereo. (you must have an LR3 SE model) All you need to do is get a stereo cable (I got one at Best Buy for $5.99), and connect one end into the AUX port on the back of the center console of the LR3 (facing the backseat) and then connect the other end into the headphone jack of your Ipod. You then select the AUX option from the LR3 stereo and your Ipod's music beams through the speakers. It is very simple. Just be sure to balance the volume between your Ipod itself and LR3 speakers and you should be good to go.
  • manoftastemanoftaste Member Posts: 51
    i have noticed the same on my both rear tires (in standard mode). not sure if this is normal behaviour...
  • manoftastemanoftaste Member Posts: 51
    kimsking, I am having the same exact problem and I noticed it from day one. At first I tried to ignore it but then after having heard it a few times I am convinced that something is not right. And it happens intermittently only when you go over rough or bumby surfaces when only one wheel hits the rough part of the surface. Like when you go over a muted sidewalk diagonally as you drive into fast food place, or when you hit a subtle little pot hole. Basically it happens on a surface that causes the steering to steer itself like cobblestone street, etc. I had this problem with my former SUV ('95 Montero) and Mitsu had replaced the steering column but it never helped. They never found the root of the problem. It was very disconcerting and now I am faced with the same thing with my brand new truck. And I never noticed this thing on any of the demos that I drove. And I test drove this vehicle several times for longer durations before I bought it.
  • twogirlstwogirls Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to tell you this but you are crazy. I just finally got out of my LR3 after problem after problem, the car was in the shop more than on the road. Main problem is air suspend, when the air suspend does not work, you are low riding the car. I don't feel that the techs are up to par in service. They have no idea how to fix the problems. There is a reason why you see more JGC's on the road. They are not in the shop. The LR3 is a wonderful car when it works but I don't feel all the kinks have been worked out.
  • twogirlstwogirls Member Posts: 2
    I have been in the same boat, I am happy to say that I got rid of my LR3 and am now driving a true Soccer Mom car, the Volvo XC90. I felt that Land Rover sold the car as a family car, I really don't think it is. I have never been in a car that was so tempermental. It is not a good feeling to drive down the road at a high speed and not know if there is going to be a problem. We had it all from suspension faults, not being notified about a gas tank recall to the panels of the car falling off while driving. Can't tell you the amount of times the tow truck had to be called. Thats great when there are kids in the car. It became a joke after a while as I pulled into work every morning with a different loaner car. Good bye LR3!!!
    You got a bad car happens to every make. I will tell you this though I have taken a lot of XC90's in trade and our autogroup has a Volvo dealership too. I have more complaints from XC90 owners after 20-30k miles then LR3 owners.

The station wagon the XC90 is based off is a great vehicle, however; the conversion process that turned that station wagon into a SUV ruined the vehicle. You have too much weight being moved around by a drivetrain/platform combo that is not up to the task.
  • cppcpp Member Posts: 33
    You have too much weight being moved around by a drivetrain/platform combo that is not up to the task.
    Amen to that, although I'd direct it at the LR3 rather than the Volvo. XC90: 311 HP, 4610 lbs, 7.6 sec 0-60. LR3: 300 HP, 5426 lbs, 8.9 sec 0-60. Different sources for the two acceleration runs, so they may not correlate 100%, but you get the idea. The LR3 may have a lot going for it, but reliability and on-road performance don't make the list.
    CPP
    I have never had an issue with the acceleration of the LR3 it is just fine for the vehicle of that size.

In addition the LR3's platform was designed from the beginning to be that heavy. All of the components were taken in as a whole and designed to work with that level of GVW.

The XC90 was not. The platform of the XC90 was not designed to be a seven passenger SUV from the beginning.

Curb weight for the V70, the XC90 is based on this platform, is 3,488 lbs. Gross Vehicle weight seems to be 4,740 lbs.

Curb weight for the XC70 is 3,699 lbs.

Curb weight for the XC90 is 4,610 lbs if you get the seven passenger model.

That is a lot of extra weight on the chassis just with no passengers. The Gross vehicle weight rating for the 7 passenger model is 6,080 lbs.

So the GVWR is about 31% more then the curb weight of the XC90 and about 74% more then the curb weight of the V70. You think that is maybe too much stress on the same platform? Yeah you can add things to increase the strength of the platform somewhat but that is a huge increase in GVWR from the original.

Curb weight of the LR3 is betweeh 5,426 and 5,796 lbs with a GVWR of 7,121 lbs. I will use the higher number since it is for a V8 LR3 with seven passenger just like the XC90 curb weight is for a V8 powered 7 passenger.

That comes to a 23% increase over curb weight for the LR3.

Sounds like a lot less strain put on a chassis that is probably stronger anyway since it is a integrated body/frame design(basicly a hybrid of the traditonal uni-body/monocoque for cars and the traditonal body on frame design for trucks) versus the unibody design of the XC90.

Then if you want to talk about maximum tow weight the XC90 is 5,000 lbs verus 7,700 lbs for the LR3. Now I personaly would not want to tow any where near the maximum weight for either one but the rating says you can. If I am going to tow that much weight I am going to get a real tow vehicle with a diesel.
    #635 of 645 Re: V8 and T6 have more problems? [skimbear] by ml_captain Feb 07, 2006 (10:36 am)
    Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: skimbear (Jan 27, 2006 5:01 pm)

As far as I have read, there are mixed feedbacks from V8 owners. Some experiences are wonderful, and some are just plain scary.

There are several dedicated Volvo chat sites. You will find some info there. I don't think edmunds.com allows users to post other chat sites, so I won't list the web addresses.
    Replies to this message:
    • burosky (Feb 08, 2006 8:03 am)

:cry: