Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,252
    if you get a questioning look about the 'beep', just tell them that's the 'passenger ejection confirmation beep'. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Explorer.... very funny, I will use that! :P

Mark :)
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • icebergsicebergs Member Posts: 3
    Thanks.

Are you the same britishRover that is on rangerovers.net?
    we will soon be a mixed family, a Range Rover and and LR3. :shades:
  • lr3calgarylr3calgary Member Posts: 9
    Hey all

Somewhere in the manual are instructions for programming the 3rd remote button to activate the air suspension to lower/raise the vehicle.

This seems pretty useful to me... to let the dog in if I forgot to lower the vehicle when I parked... or simply to be the coolest guy in the grocery store parking lot.

What's the deal with the instructions. Something about turning your hazards on first... If I get into my car to turn the hazards on I may as well press the lowering lever. Any ideas?

L8R (get it? like LR3 but ah never mind)
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Yup you must turn the hazards on or you cannot use the remote air suspension feature. I know it is stupid but the remote is just supposed to be used for helping to hook up a trailer by your self.

Got to have those safety lights on in case someone crawled under the car while you were not looking and then were crushed by the vehicle. :confuse:
    While that makes sense it's not very much fun.

So my other play options are headlights and panic alarm. Not very sexy at all.

Thanks for the info. The explanation makes sense.
    It would be great if there was a fourth button on the remote to turn on the hazard lights. Too bad they did not think of that.
    Aren't there any programmers on this forum who can hack the LR3 so we can make the vehicle bounce on demand?
  • gwellandgwelland Member Posts: 23
    I have the Expedition Roof Rack - is that what you meant?

My V8 HSE averages 15 mpg with smooth and not excessively fast driving. I've never seen an MPG higher than this on my vehicle.

Wind noise is ok with the moon roof closed but it's very noticable compared to a non-roof rack LR3 if you open this at any type of speed. I can't cruise with the moon roof open as the noise is excessive. At low speeds it's fine.

I have a shovel and high lift jack fixed to mine (accessories had to be fabricated since LR don't seem to have anything beyond the loops). The aerodynamics of the roof rack meant that there was no difference in mpg or noise when these were added. I can also vouch for the robustness of the rack too as I've reversed out through a garage opening when the vehice lifted and the garage frame broke and not the roof rack when I hit it! (not recommended btw - land rover vs. garage is won by LR3 pretty comprehensively)
  • icebergsicebergs Member Posts: 3
    Yes! Thank you!
    I was hoping the shape was as functional as it looks. Sounds like you have yours outfitted like mine will be.

And, I will avoid tearing the garage off my house.

Thanks
  • ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    Hi

Does anyone experience a low pitched noise with the AC on? Its not normal - on my LR3 you hear of course the air coming through the vents but there is a second sound of a noise that doesnt seem right. Have there been noise issues with LR3 air conditioning compressors?
  • lrdriverlrdriver Member Posts: 6
    TSV,

I have been involved with LR for a number of years now and have experienced my shares of up and from time to time, downs with Land Rover vehicles. Your first question about gas milage, I have an 05 LR3 and I am actually very satisfied with the gas milage despite the vehicles weight. For the amount of room and comfort you get along with durability I think you would be hard pressed to find a better suv. Regarding maintenance. I can tell you that yes, I have had problems with my LR3. I had some alignment problems, squeaks, rattles, etc... What I can tell you is that LR took excellent care of me and fixed everything and were relentless in their pursuit of the problems. I recommend that you buy our LR3 from a LR Center you know and trust. I can not say enough about LR quality of after sales service.

Good Luck
    Another thing to state here is that LR has gone into R&D on burning cleaner and adding more efficient engines - there is a brochure online under About your LR. Its pretty interesting. I agree with the after sales service experience and I also like the fact that they have some charitable efforts going relating to the environment. FInally Finally i hear some friends complain about gas mileage on their Pilots, Four Runners, Lexus and Land Cruisers. If you are going to get 18.5 mpg on the highway might as well be in a land rover ...
  • macc24macc24 Member Posts: 20
    On my 99 Disco II I have a weather band that I can tune into by pressing the am band 3 times. I can not find that feature on my LR3. Does anyone know how to tune into the weather band with the LR3 or is this a relevant feature that we have lost?

I hope it still exists...I'm moving back to tornado alley for this fall season.
    I do not belive so sorry. If you have the sat radio option there are weather channels avaliable for free.
  • lushmojolushmojo Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I are in Boulder, Colorado and have owned to Discos ('01 Series II and an '04 SE7). We're buying an HSE LR3 on Monday. Recently, Land Rover sent us a coupon for money off of a purchase. We've misplaced it. Anyone have one that they're not using or know if LR might send us another one?
  • macc24macc24 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for your reply, BR. I do ( I was told ) have the satellite option on my 06 but it doesn't seem to work up here in Alaska, along with most of the GPS funtions.

Curious, how do you access the satellite radio? Once I'm roving in the lower 48 again this fall I'll want to use it.
    Tap the AUX button twice. The first time brings up the AUX port in the back of the center console the second hit brings up SAT radio.
    I figured out how to reliably run my blackberry 7900 through the LR3 V8 HSE.

1) My left quick button is programmed to toggle bluetooth on/off
    2) When I leave the car I disable bluetooth so there is a clean disconnection from the vehicle.
    3) When I enter the car, start vehicle, turn on bluetooth on blackberry then in options connect the LAND ROVER in the bluetooth settings.

A mild hassle but at least the vehicle doesn't get confused when I enter the vehicle. If I leave bluetooth on and allow the vehicle and phone to detect one another I can dial through the car but the speakerphone won't activate. Hope this is useful info.
    Thanks very much that does make sense as that a lot of times with blackberries the device hooks up fine the first time but then has issues later.
  • johnj01johnj01 Member Posts: 6
    I've got one, but I'm in California, and the disclaimer says, "...and is not transferable except within the household with vaild proof of address."

You still want it??
    I think I'm gonna pass. I already spoke with someone about the coupon. We're already getting a tremendously good deal and I don't think I'd be able to use the coupon anyway.

Thanks again.
  • lr3keylr3key Member Posts: 1
    Correct. This feature is simply for hooking up your trailer to a hitch. Stick to the Headlights feature. No worries though im sure you are still the coolest guy in the lot. ;)
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    Lumbar adjustment returns in 2007... and matches what is documented in the 2006 manual. (Yes, electric. D'oh!)

One-touch down/up on passenger window. Instrument panel updated, including clock integration. Power seat adjustment works on driver's seat without key in ignition on non-HSE.

No "iPod integration" announced (at least from the factory)... just good ol' AUX audio input.

As expected, nothing too exciting.

There is a slight chance Navigation might not be safety crippled by default (no "code" bypass)... but that's not confirmed. In the UK, some 2005/2006 owners have supposedly gotten "updates" that do this; no idea if this will make it to North America. We have more lawyers. :)

I don't think pricing has been announced.
  • jclay1965jclay1965 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Everyone..

Just about to clock 1,000 miles on my '06 LR3 V8 HSE that I leased about a month ago. I must say I really love this car! The ride, drive and handling are fantastic. One issue that is really bugging me, which I am hoping others can shed some light on, is the constant 'chatter' noise I am getting from what appears to be the right front or right rear tire. Factory Goodyear Wranglers. When I initially took delivery of the vehicle I took it back to the dealer the next day due to a very strong vibration and/or shimmy that was coming from one or more of the tires and shaking the steering wheel. They rotated, balanced and 'properly inflated' the tires, according to the service record, but now I get this annoying 'chatter' type of noise coming from what appears to be one of the tires. Slight vibration between 70-80 MPH. I had this happen on a Lexus RX330 that I previously owned and ended up having to replace several of the tires at just over 11,000 miles due to 'uneven wear', even though I was having them checked, rotated and balanced religiously. I think the LR3 may have a bad tire or two, and they need to be replaced. I want to address this with the dealer ASAP as I don't want to be plunking down money on new tires within 10,000 miles. Anyone else have any experience or advice with these tires? Would appreciate it! This is the only annoyance and/or distraction from what would otherwise be a very flawless ride.
  • killerphishkillerphish Member Posts: 7
    Anyone know how I can order a ladder for the LR3? Part #AGP78002. Previous posts mentioned this was G4-specific, but I don't know how that impacts orderability here in the US (west coast). I called up my dealer and it doesn't show up in his system.

British, any ideas?

Thanks.
    You got the part number wrong. It's AGP780020. And it's been available since earlier this year. A search for "G4 ladder" would have found it in this forum. :P
    So, Land Rover North America emailed us the coupon and we forwarded it to our sales guide and he's cutting us a check for $1500 even after we've taken delivery. So, if anyone has purchased recently, just contact LRNA.
  • killerphishkillerphish Member Posts: 7
    That coupon is only for previous Land Rover owners, correct? I just bought an LR3 but it's my first one...
    It may be for previous owners, but I can't find it stated explicitly in the coupon. Contact LRNA and have them send you one. I just heard from my sales guide again today and it's going to take about 4 weeks to get the check, but hey.....a $1500 rebate is worth the wait.
  • jmstachjmstach Member Posts: 5
    Can any one give me information or a link for the 2007 LR3.
    My dealer can't get an 06 with what I want so they are going to order an 07 for me.

thanks
    I basically posted all the changes... very few. So, just use the 2006 information. There are still new 2006 models being received by dealers... they just aren't being built by the factory anymore.

The 2007 pricing won't be announced until later... probably about the same, maybe a slight hike...
  • jmstachjmstach Member Posts: 5
    Thanks grommet.
    I placed my order for 07 LR3 SE in silver with the following options: TEC (technology package), LTP(lighting and front pdc, CCP (cold climate) and HD (heavy duty). I just have to wait now.
  • frankrifrankri Member Posts: 3
    I experienced the same chatter (Goodyear) about 20,000 miles on my LR3 HSE, the dealer indicated they have had this problem with the chatter (uneven wear, but still good) and they do not warranty the tires. Before you rack up the mileage I suggest you have the dealer change your tires to Michelin 255/55 R19 (my Dealer recommended)

I had to change my tires on my ML320 (Goodyear, rough ride)after 35,000 miles, I changed to Michelin and never had a problem. Good Luck.
    Is the warranty on the tires effective for this? Are there any LR techs on here and if so is the design of the vehicle causing this? It seems to be a recurring comment
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    When I parked for a hike in the Colorado mountains I noticed the dash said 'check tire pressure'. I didn't notice if the low tire icon had been lit. I assumed it was an error, the tires looked ok. I also noticed the truck lowered itself a couple inches after I got out and I hadn't raised it. I think it knew a tire was low and raised itself but that's hard to believe.
    After the hike as I drove away, the low tire icon was lit. The left rear tire was visually low, I pumped it up from about 20 psi to 42. I could see a screw head in the center of the tread.
    After an hour, the light came on again. This time it didn't look low, but I pumped it from 30 psi to 45.
    After another hour, at 70 mph (and only a couple miles from home), I heard the screw fly out and the tire began making vibration noises. There was absolutely no pull or adverse handling. I pulled over within a couple hundred feet expecting a shredded tire but it didn't shred.
    So I am impressed with how well the truck handled with a flat tire, not really a big blowout though. And the tire pressure monitor worked great, I think it went on at about 30 psi. I'm not sure if it has a different threshold for front and rear tires - I may test it.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    Since my tire is unrepairable, I am considering replacing the entire set with more off road type tires. I was considering the Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/60/18. They look nice but are about 1.4 inches bigger diameter and over an inch wider than the stock tire. This tire will be a very snug fit in the spare tire carrier.
    My Discount Tire store showed me a Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tire. I think I will buy those. They come in a 265/60 - 18 size but it is backordered for a few months. This tire is only 1/2 inch bigger in diameter and 1/2 inch wider than stock, which is only 1.67 percent bigger than stock so it should barely affect gas mileage or speedometer readings or gear ratios. It has a nice open lug pattern, looks good, has a 50K mileage warranty, and has a kevlar belt. According to the Goodyear website, it exceeds the Goodyear Wrangler HP All Weather stock tire in all aspects, wet, dry, snow and off-road traction and ties it in quietness. The only drawback is the load rating, it is only a 109 vs. the 112 of the stock tire. According to my store though, the LR3 minimum load rating is 108 so it should be OK. The max load is 200 lbs per tire less than the stock tire, but at 2271 lbs it appears to be well more than a fully loaded LR3. The speed rating is lower too, but I don't plan to drive 112 mph plus. And the lower speed rating tires last longer.
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    I see there have been several discussions on the tire noise issue...at about 13K miles my Goodyears became very noisy; with stereo on it's not bad, but very annoying with stereo off with passengers. I mentioned it at my last service and service mgr kind of smiled like he knew a lot about this problem. Also, just started hearing high-pitched squeek while braking...can shoes be worn out with only 15K miles? I know it's heavy, but 15K?? Any feedback on either issue? Thanks
    Can someone describe the tire noise they hear? Or any other effects from the tire issue I see on here its chronic. Is there a response by LR to this problem? I am noticing slight uneven wear. Is this the tire or the vehicle or some combo. Do the Michelins work better on an LR3(they were A+ on my Disco II)
  • colorado4x4colorado4x4 Member Posts: 29
    Jobie, my Goodyears became deafening at about 20k miles. Being cheap, I ran them until about 38k miles when they started showing belts (do not recommend this practice ;) ). My replacements have been OEM silent for 20k + miles now.

Brakes have been squealing since about 25k miles, but still have lots of life at 60k. We are still running the stock pads. Annoying at the stop light and around the mall but nobody cares when you're rock crawling!
  • colorado4x4colorado4x4 Member Posts: 29
    We went off roading on the 4th on a pretty mild trail in Colorado. We climbed about 1500 vertical feet in about 3 miles with a little bit of rock crawling, but not much. The system was in rock crawl mode, suspension extended, 4 low, HDC off. As we began descending the trail, we received a transmission fault, "come to a safe stop" message. Unfortunately we were about a mile for the trail end. The LR3 dropped to access mode and locked it self down and exited 4 low mode. We creeped to the end of the trail, dragging the exhaust on some rocks. We shut it down and let it rest for about 5 minutes and all systems returned to normal on restart. Our service manager suggested that an obstructed sensor may have caused the problem. We will have the system checked next week to see what code was logged. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this?
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    A droning sound, very annoying. At allspeeds. The dealer, Budds in oakville, said he "was on it", but I have heard nothing since.

It is not acceptable to have a droning car. What are my options? Should tyre warranty not cover it?
    woman come in today who reads this forum. Not sure if she posts here or not but she said she does read them.

So just saying hello from your friendly neighborhood Land Rover Sales Guide.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    So just saying hello from your friendly neighborhood Land Rover Sales Guide.......

......while he hurriedly scans back over his past posts to make sure he didn't give away sales secrets! ;)
    Nah I make sure I don't say anything specific here unless it is way old info that has expired.

I did actually have a guy that figured out what dealership I worked at based off my location and some of the pictures of cars I have in my carspace page. There are only four dealerships in the state and he recognized some land marks in the pictures. Actually came in and asked for me.
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    It's been months since I posted anything, but I just did a 2000 mile trip from Okla to Colo and back and the truck did wonderfully. My mileage there, going from 750 ft. to about 9000 ft. was 17.3 mpg and that included several hours of off-roading mixed-in. The trip back went from 23.3 down to 21.5 as I turned on the A/C and went from 65 mph to 75. I used only 87 and 88 octane due to the cost of gas, so this mileage is, in my book, incredible.

The vehicle proved flawless and several people I gave a ride to, off-road and on, thought it was absolutly great. I had some trepidations before I went (it is a LR after all) but it proved itself over and over, so, in two weeks I'll do it again.
    Can i ask how many total miles are on your vehicle right now?

I do alot of the same time of long trip on highways then shorter off road side trips then back on the highway. My 2001 DII never ever had a problem on long trips and i never feared a breakdown. (of course it had its share of typical Discovery issues) I have an '06 LR3 but havent done the long trips yet.
  • doctorpdoctorp Member Posts: 15
    My tires started making noise at 15K. The dealer noticed that they were wearing more on the inside. Goodyear offered to prorate them, but it was still going to cost plenty. I went another 5K, and it got really noisy. I was getting nervous while driving. I was afraid of a blow out. Goodyear prorated them (and did an alignment at no charge to me) and LR picked up $200, but it still cost me about $800. I can't really complain, because I did put 20K on them, but I hope this doesn't happen again. Tires should last longer than this. It's not a sports car. I only drive back and forth to the office. We'll see in another 20K. Oh, it drives like it is brand new again. That's a nice feeling.
    I got this feeling we are goign to see rover go to michelins on the LR3 just like they did on the Range Rover.