Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    My LR3 SE V8 has 2000 miles on it. I drive it a mix of city and highway, and can really see the 'distance to empty' drop when in the city, but on the highway it appears to get really good mileage. I haven't added up all the gas for the entire 2000 miles, but I do calculate it at each fill up. I only use regular gas, but at high altitude, premium gas isn't really needed. I usually get about 17.5 mpg for each tank. I do drive pretty gently. Most of my highway miles are in the Colorado mountains so I routinely drive from elevation 5000 feet to over 10000 and back down, then up and down again on the return home. I've also wanted to see how well the engine runs so I've gone over these passes at 70 mph (Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass). Vail Pass eastbound is quite a long climb. My LR3 performs great.
    I just bought a new set of tires. They have a nice tread design and a 50K mile warranty. They are Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, size 265/60 -18. Unfortunately, they are backordered so I haven't got them yet. They are 1/2 inch bigger in diameter than the stock tire. Got them from Discount Tire.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A Confusing Marketplace for Used Cars (Strategies for Smart Car Buyers).

(It did).

Steve, Host
    OK I checked my fuel use. 2064 miles, 120 gallons of regular, 17.2 mpg, includes some off road crawling, some city miles, and lots of mountain highway miles. This is a 2006 V8 SE.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    That doesn't really surprise me. I get calls every day for people looking for used LR3s. It is too bad there are almost no used LR3s on the market yet.

Mind saying what it sold for?

Also when will you wrap up the long term test summary?
    Heh, you should have asked Phil when you were reading the blog. I don't know, but I just asked him myself. :D

The reports have been coming quarterly but the last one was late so the wrap-up is likely to be a while too. I think all the daily driving blogs are stealing some of the thunder from the "formal" reports.

Steve, Host
    I haven't even seen a driving blog on the LR3 in forever.
    I think they must have started blogging with the recent '06 models. There's not an easy way to search the blogs by model either. Have to mention that to someone too. Maybe the editors will wind up with an LR2 they can get excited about.

Steve, Host
    Yeah I noticed that too. The only way to look at the blogs is to just scroll through from beginning to end.

Not very efficient.

I am really excited about the LR2 although I do kind of hope they offer a perormance model with turbochargers.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    ..........that you can't quite go everywhere!

BBC/LR link
    Yeah I remember that. It was a freelander by the looks of the pictures.

I think a Range Rover Sport was lost in similar circumstances a few months ago.
    Unfortunately no make or model is immune. It doesn't matter how good the tires are, once the bottom of the vehicle sinks into soft mud it's held by suction and becomes very difficult to extract.
    Yup had my jeep stuck in a quite a few mud holes when I used to wheel and luckily it was not in a place where the tide was a factor.

A good winch on my buddies bronco could always get me out.
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    I was a the dealer's today having a recall done (some new valve in the compressor, plus SEVEN software updates!). I asked about the nav DVD - mine is getting old, it does not know some major roads in theneighbourhoode.

yes, anew one is available.. but it is C$390, they tell me

For an UPGRADE, that is too much, I think. Is it cheaper in the States, perhaps?

Michael
  • finmanfinman Member Posts: 21
    I have now 18k on my Goodyear Wranglers...and although I don't find them overly noisy...they are terrible. I will be getting 4 new Michelin Synchrones in a couple days so the contrast may make the noise more apparent. A couple weeks ago, I got a screw in one tire with a slow leak as a result. Brought it in to get it fixed and another looked at for a possible leak and found the bead of one to break apart as it was taken off the wheel. In addition, the treadwear was abnormal on a 4 tires.

Overall, I would suggest dumping the Goodyears...and sucking it up and dropping $1000+ on the Michelins...getting the Goodyears prorated and replacing them with more GYs will just prolong the pain.

These are my last GYs ever...wasted $1500 on F1s for my S6...horrible performance and bizarre treadwear...never again.
  • finmanfinman Member Posts: 21
    Overall, I have been overwhelmingly pleased with my '05 LR3 except for the above mentioned substandard Goodyears. 14 mpg (actual, not by dash computer), very comfortable, an air conditioner that can keep me, the wife, and the 2 kids comfortable in 114 degrees despite black seats and a dark green exterior...and a big glass roof! Very utilitarian for lots of kid's crap...or just lots of people...and access without fear to anywhere in the middle of nowhere desert of Arizona...sufficient luxury with a durable interior that one doesn't mind scuffing up...

Not one single problem until the last 1000 miles or so...and I'm not sure if there is really a problem...but I have begun to notice an annoying transmission/driveline shudder when beginning to accelerate slowly from moderate speeds anywhere in the range of 40-75 or so, prior to the downshift, which disappears with the downshift. Brought it to the dealer...they thought resetting the transmission software to 'erase' the learned behavior would fix it...it didn't do anything. Apparently there are other transmission programming updates coming soon...but I'm skeptical...I think it is something more significant.

Otherwise, it has been perfect and I am very...very happy with it...and would do it again...
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    I took my 05 LR3 HSE to my dealer for the 15,000 mile service yesterday since I'm going back to Colorado in a week for more off-roading, this time in the the Quray area. Even though I had NO problems, the dealer reprogrammed several ECU's (T-case / transmission / air suspension), replaced my air compressor with a new revised model ("B034" LR campain), rotated my tires, performed a recall ("B037" - ignition key removal while in a gear other than park) reprogram.

My brakes are 40% worn, and the tires are said to be wearing "normally". The loaner vehicle they gave me was an '06 LR3 SE which to me seemed to handle more crisp, sharp, and was just more "sporty" feeling.

I filled my tank with Super-91 but noticed no difference between it and the 87 / 88 octane I had been using while on my 2000 mile trip. Well, that's all folks...Happy Rovering to All !! Enjoy your vehicles..
  • dmitriymdmitriym Member Posts: 5
    When was looking for upgrade in Chicago area dealer wanted $300, so i bought it on E-bay, a lot cheaper.
    My dealer tells me there are no tyres available in this size. Mine are noisy and Goodyear are to replace them: but there are none available. I have been waiting for months. What do I do if I have aflat tyre, I asked the dealer? Shrug: nothing, is the answer, there ARE no tyres for your car. This is Budds in Oakville, Ontario, Canada; and they normally know what they are talking about.
    What did you ask for on ebay? How did you describe it?
  • roverdawgroverdawg Member Posts: 30
    How much did you end up paying? I'm constantly searching Ebay for the latest version (xx24) but can only find the xx22 and xx23 versions. May have to wait awhile as it looks like they're only selling dealer overstock. My dealer wants $300 US for the latest version and I'm not sure if there are enough changes to justify that price.
  • dmitriymdmitriym Member Posts: 5
    The search string i used is "land rover navigation dvd" for All categories. I just looked their again and there are no xx24 currently available. I bought it about 3 months ago and at the time only two people were selling it. I was login in pretty much every day until found the version I wanted I got it for $80 plus shipping $10. Looks like I got lucky.
    At the time i thought that up to $150 is reasonable.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,251
    i went to tirerack.com and they didn't have any tires for an 'hse' that matched either.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jclay1965jclay1965 Member Posts: 7
    Here is the problem I have with these OEM Goodyear Wranglers...and my LR3 is really flawless except for this annoying problem...I only know how to describe it as a 'chatter' or 'flutter' type of noise, as if one tire is not making complete contact with the ground, or out of balance. I notice an annyoing vibration at highway speed, especially 60-80 MPH. Not much if any vibration in the steering wheel but I can see it in the headrests, especially the rear ones. Dealer has rotated and balanced them once already, removed a few weights, etc. I think one or more of the tires is bad and I really want the dealer to swap them out for some Michelins, after reading all the comments here about the Goodyears. Obviously they are a terrible OEM tire for the LR3. Years ago when I got my new ML320, MBZ had to replace the OEM Dunlops right away due to a similar problem. It amazes me that the manufacturers can even ship them out to the dealers with such substandard tires. My LR3 is leased. 900 miles so far. Any ideas? Comments?
  • pfolkpfolk Member Posts: 70
    Have you tried www.tirerack.com? They have tires for most any make of vehicle and wheel size combination. They even have a tool to match up tire brand and type with your driving needs.
  • nesuvnesuv Member Posts: 10
    I can't find the pink antifreeze anywhere. I found a Prestone formula that says its compatible with any color antifreeze and any vehicle. Would this work?

Any suggestions???
  • ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    Has anyone installed the dog guard gate in the LR3 - and if so is it removable or a fixture? is it easily removed etc to use third row seats and what is left attached to the car when you remove it? Thanks
    Yeah it pops in and out easy once you have it installed. You could probably even install it yourself if you are handy. I think it takes the techs about an hour to install it. Once it is installed you can remove the guard with just your hands by turning thumbscrews and the mounting brackets are left in place.
  • lr3calgarylr3calgary Member Posts: 9
    I originally ordered the dog guard but with the back head rests as high as they are decided I don't need them. My dog wears a sort of harness and I clip him to one of the floor mounts, mostly to keep him from jumping out when I open the back gate. He has enough give to walk around a little but wouldn't make it as far as the front seat to gnaw off the leather from the steering wheel. (as he did with my first new car)

In my old volvo v50 the dog gate simply pivoted flush against the roof. A much better solution than having to remove the gate altogether.
    I know there are no Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor in my size yet. I have bought and paid for a set from my local Discount Tire. And they have agreed to trading in the ones that came on my LR since they are almost new. I have contacted Goodyear and they don't have a production date yet, but I believe this is a new size for the Silent Armor tire. Since my original tires are good it is no problem to wait a few months for me.
    For all you guys worrying about a spare, I bought the heavy duty package so I got a full size spare. You can always get a spare wheel and tire to replace your temporary spare if you didn't get the heavy duty package.
    I took my LR to my local Discount Tire when I got it and bought the tire warranty on the factory tires from Discount Tire for around $25 per tire. When I had a flat, I took it to Discount. Since they couln't repair it, they offered to replace it with a new tire. Instead, I took the full price of the replacement tire as a credit towards a new set of tires when they become available. I am now running on my spare tire and Discount got me a nice Michelin for my spare for no charge, and will take the Michelin back when my tires come in (I bought a set of 5).
    Discount Tire is a very good company to work with - I'd highly recommend them. But I always deal with a manager.
    Please let us know what trails you do in Ouray. I'll be there in a few weeks. Last year I rented a jeep for a day because I didn't want to trust my tires on my ML on the rocky trails. Some trails are one way (Ouray to Telluride). Ophir Pass is not very difficult at all - I don't recall if a 2WD could make it.
    Also,
    I can confirm that all 5 wheels have pressure sensors on my February 06 build date. The dashboard monitor can differentiate between the 4 road wheels and the spare - if you have a low tire it will say check tyres or check spare or something to that effect. I believe the pressure psi that the tire has to be low before the warning is based upon the position on the LR - the fronts are different from the back - so the warning is partly based on the pickup sensor in each wheelwell.
  • lr3calgarylr3calgary Member Posts: 9
    The pressure warning system light has been lit from Day 1 in my LR3 HSE. The dealer is ordering new sensors to try to get the light to turn off. This has been the only issue with my vehicle.
    Mine seems to work great - I had a low tire, the light came on and the dash said to check the tyres. I filled the low one, the light went off immediately. The air leaked out and the light came on 2 more times. I installed the spare and the light went out. When the spare well was empty while the tire was left at the tire store, there was no light or warning. Then, I got the spare back and the light came on and warning said to check the spare - it was 36 psi and I pumped it to 42 and the light went out immediately. On the rear tires, 36 psi won't light the light, about 33 I think will. On the front tires, it needs to be 30 or so before the light comes on. I need to test it to be sure. You don't even need to drive it, just starting it will bring up the warning, and if you pump it up, the warning goes away on startup.
    I tried out my extended height mode.
    I raised the LR to off road height via the console switch, then lifted a corner with a jack enough to take the weight off the suspension. The suspension hissed. I lowered the jack. The truck raised and the dashboard said it was in extended mode. This simulates bottoming out the chassis.

Supposedly, if you then hold your foot on the brake and hold the console switch in the raise position for 40 seconds you'll get a 'bong' then it should go up another 35mm, but I didn't do that yet.
    Yeah the extended height mode is very cool too bad that it lowers automaticly if you go over like 8 mph. I can't wait till someone figures out to hack into the suspension control module.

Previous Generation Range Rovers, P38's are their internal designation, have this device called a Rovercom that allows the driver to raise the air suspension beyond the normal maximum for off road height.

Eventually someone will develop a similar gadget for the LR3, RRS and Mark II Range Rover.
  • lr3for4x5lr3for4x5 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings:

I was searching for a reasonable phone to use with the PTI Nokia cradle, but didn't want to spend $300 from the dealer. I use a RAZR w/Bluetooth, but for long drives, I wanted a phone in the cradle, etc.

I can now confirm that the Nokia 3100 w/firmware 3.03 works in the '06 LR3 with PTI and the current Nokia cradle. These are the phones you see on eBay for about $35-40 unlocked. :shades:

According to the LR website, you need a 3100 with firmware 4.x, well AT&T and Cingular only had 3100s with 3.03, RH-50. These are what are on eBay.

I have tried two different units of these phones (borrowed from friends) and they seem to work fine. I have a third phone that I bought off eBay (~$35 unlocked) and am going to do extensive testing this evening to finalize.

I hope this helps anybody who was looking for an inexpensive phone (or non-bluetooth phone) to put in the cradle.

Cheers,

Rich
    Hello "lr3maybe". I look forward to this Ouray trip next week. I've done pretty much every trail in the area over the last 15 years and I've always used normal tire pressure and have had only had one flat. My vehicles have been Toy 4Runners and Series II Discoveries. This will be my second LR3 trip to CO. I plan to do Ophir Pass, Black Bear-Tomboy-Imogene & Yankey Boy, and that'll be it for this time.

On my last trip I did basically dirt trails except for a 5 mile rock section and some deviant ditches - the LR3, even though I was nervous, just did everything so uneventfully it was not even funny. I'll report again when I get back...
  • invest100invest100 Member Posts: 6
    Purchased a 2006 LR3 V8 last month and the vehicle could not even make it the 4 miles to my house without failing. Stalled out less than a mile before I got home. THe dealer had to tow the LR3 backed to the dealership and they canceled the contract. They said it was a defective transmission. Purchased a 2006 Acura MDX instead.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Report your gas mileage here: Land Rover LR3: MPG - Real World Numbers

tidester, host
  • ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    Interesting story. Friend of mine purchased an acura MDX last week and it didnt get the 12 miles home to his house before the computer failed. Perhaps you guys shouldve switched! (He went to look at the LR3 the next day but ended up with an ugly toyota )
    I've had my LR3 HSE for 15 months and 15000 miles and have yet to experience even one glitch...I think 95% of the problems owners are experiencing is due to impatience - get in and turn that key - don't give the computers time to "boot" so they produce errors. I always turn my key to position "2" and wait about 15 seconds for the system to normalize and do the status check, then start. No problem - ever (except for a light squeek in the steering wheel "spiral cassette").

This is still the best and greatest veicle ever (out of about 34 I've owned including 9 Mercedes). I've had way more problems from my Toyota's, BMW's, Benzes, Fords, Chevy's, Isuzu's, Mazda's, Honda's, and so on. My 2000 LR Discovery II was just as great.

I have nothing but praise for LR thus far - vehicles and the dealership experience both - fantastic !!
    There is a system now, I found it on the internet in Germany or Europe somewhere. I don't have the info with me now. It lets you control the electronics. But it was almost $2000 and I'd also be worried that if we had a warranty problem we'd be out of luck. I think I'll wait for a simpler solution.
    Really that is good to know. And it works on modern Rovers hmhh but 2,000 is way too much. Better to wait till some of the bugs are worked out of it and the price drops.
    I drove Ophir years ago with my 4 Runner, from East to West. If I recall, there was only a bit of tougher stuff at the very beginning, then the only worry was that there was no place to pull over for oncoming traffic. Luckily, none came. You could see a long way though. I'd love to hear about the Black Bear/Tomboy/Imogene/Yankey Boy though. Especially, would like to know if any of them caused you to bottom out or scrape the sides in the trees. I tried the trail that goes east just south of Ouray, Engineer Pass, I think, but turned around after a mile or two, with a Jeep last year. It wasn't too tough, but it was so rough it wasn't enjoyable. I didn't feel like crawling for miles. Does that one smooth out after a while?
    I always turn my key to position "2" and wait about 15 seconds for the system to normalize and do the status check, then start.

Same procedure I use when starting my AMG diesel. It's no problem of course, but friends who own gas vehicles sometimes razz me for not being able to start instantly from cold. I'll have to mention that for 'high quality, high tech' vehicles, the procedure is the same. ;)
    Yup even on LR3s that sit on the lot for a while if you try and start them right away you will normaly get some error codes.

Better to let the computer do its selfcheck then start it up.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Does anyone know if the 2007 will have a back-up camera for reversing?
    No.
  • roverinscroverinsc Member Posts: 2
    I called my dealer at 13,000 miles with the uneven tire wear issue. They said it needed alignment. Funny, this is supposed to be a tough off road vehicle but it cannot enev take the pounding of the highway or rural roads!! I have only slighlty taken the thing off the pavement! Called LR Customer Support- explained to them I would not be owning my LR3 much longer if I was to be purchasing new tires every 20-25,000 miles and I would be their worst nightmare if anyone was even thinking about buying one. Dealer bought one tire for future change and covered the alignment (I think) that's what LR Customer Care told me anyway. Too bad- its very embarrassing paying this much for a vehicle and getting major problems such as this.