Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• centralcoastercentralcoaster Member Posts: 8
    well, that particular problem sounds unique to your car, although as I mentioned before, at times I get a low-level buzz that really detracts from the sound quality. At other times, it isn't there....not sure why. I wonder if it has to do with the nav system or some other electronic gadget that is only on intermittently giving feedback. If anyone sorts this out, let us know.
  • xchicagoan5xchicagoan5 Member Posts: 46
    Buyer beware. Many LR dealers still do the shady dealing most of us are not accustomed to when buying high end vehicles. This is compounded by the fact that the LR3 is a hot product for them - 1st time in a long time. Buyer beware!! Lexus has everyone beat in this arena.

When negotiating the deal, the Finance Manager agreed to add mats and roof rack at no additional charge. When his financing came back high, I arranged for my own. I asked him two times if deal was still the same. He never answered me. When the car was finally delivered, he had the sales person tell me that he was only throwing in the mats because I did not use their financing. Of course, I did not get it in writing, but I do have it in an email he sent to me stating so. In the end, they over charged me by $441 so I can get the roof rack. I'll take the cash and put it towards my DVD system.

Anyway, picked up SE7 Java with Alpaca. No NAV, no big deal for me. I moved from a GX470 and feel as if I have lost nothing, but gained more room and some differentiation from all the Lexus GX470s in mu neighborhood. I am sure I will start to see LR3s in the coming weeks, but it nice to be different for a while. At first I wanted an HSE, but only for the 19" rims. I talked to me friend and he can get me a set of 20"s for $1800.

ajn999 - Glad to hear about the wood trim kit. I will place my order ASAP. It's weird going from the busy Lexus dash to the utilitarian, but simple LRS dash. It's kinda nice. Will keep posted on experience.
  • hhiashhias Member Posts: 4
    Put a deposit on an HSE a couple of months ago and I am still waiting for the car. It was supposed to have been at the dealer three weeks ago. I was traveling so it was not a big deal.
    When I called the dealer a couple of weeks ago to check to see if it had arrived they said they would call me back in a day. After a week with no call back, I called again, and got the same reply. Now a couple of weeks have gone by and I was finally able to speak to the manager and was told that the car was transported to another dealer instead of them and they are looking into it. They said they will get back to me in a day or so.
    Any one have any thoughts on this. I have a deposit down with them but need wheels this week or I'll be riding my bike. I am three plus weeks past the delivery date with no end in site. I have bought alot of cars before and never heard of such a mistake. I am beginning to think that the car was either sold to someone else at another dealership or at the one in which I placed a deposit with.
  • sontobsontob Member Posts: 13
    hhias,

I am having the same experience and I live in Northern Ca. (Bay Area) and from reading other posts it sounds like it is becoming widespread.

I was told my HSE would be in the week of 11/29th after putting a deposit down two months earlier. It is now the 8th and all I am getting from the dealer is, "there is nothing we can do at this time, when the car comes in we will call you."

This is after my salesman told me it has been verified that the car is in port and on the dock but LR has not released it yet. After pushing him for why he again said, "nothing I can do there are over 4000 cars at the port and they release them when they release them."

It sounds as though these cars come into port and LR management decides which cars to release to who and when. I remember another dealer telling me back in October when I first test drove an SE that the more cars each dealer pre-sells during the months of Nov and Dec the better selection and more cars that dealer receives in the future.

I received a random call from another dealer last weekend who said he recently received an HSE and wanted to sell it to me. Unfortunately, when I called him back 30 minutes later the car was already sold. After asking him why he received an HSE when he initially told me last month I couldn't get an HSE until Feb. he said, "it just showed up off the truck no one knew it was coming."

I am holding out for my HSE I have a deposit down on until the third week of Dec. and then because of the ending of the bonus depreciation will have to get whatever is on the lot in order to put it in service by 12/31 and get the tax break.
    Put a deposit on an HSE a couple of months ago and I am still waiting for the car. It was supposed to have been at the dealer three weeks ago. I was traveling so it was not a big deal.
    When I called the dealer a couple of weeks ago to check to see if it had arrived they said they would call me back in a day. After a week with no call back, I called again, and got the same reply. Now a couple of weeks have gone by and I was finally able to speak to the manager and was told that the car was transported to another dealer instead of them and they are looking into it. They said they will get back to me in a day or so.
    Any one have any thoughts on this. I have a deposit down with them but need wheels this week or I'll be riding my bike. I am three plus weeks past the delivery date with no end in site. I have bought alot of cars before and never heard of such a mistake. I am beginning to think that the car was either sold to someone else at another dealership or at the one in which I placed a deposit with.
    sontob,
    I have alot of experience with shipping, since that is my primary profession. This dealer crap about cars sitting on docks is a bunch of garbage. It could be the case if their are long shoreman related labor issues like what happened this summer in LA. For the problem to be both East coast and West coast is highly unlikely. As for LRNA holding up cars and letting them sit at the dock I highly doubt it. The cost of having merchandise sitting still is unaccepted in today's economic times, unless they are waiting for the value of the dollar to come up, which is not very likely to happen anytime soon.
    My guess would be production delays more so than port problems. Once the cars arrive in port it makes no sense why LRNA would spend money storing them when they know they are in demand.
    Too bad someone from LRNA doesn't speak up and give us a straight answer.
    If there are real problems with delivery, I am concerned any day now can turn into any month now.
    If they can't deliver vehicles, I can only image how part support will be for it.
  • sontobsontob Member Posts: 13
    hhias,

Thanks for your post. I figured this guy's info was a bit shady. Although, I have to put most of the blame on myself for continuing to do business with this jerk and thus reinforcing his lack of professionalism. The things you put up with to get an all-new much hyped Land Rover LR3 HSE...IF...I ever receive one!
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    I put a deposit on a HSE a week ago today in NC with a scheduled delivery of 12/16. Last night the dealer contacted me and advised vehicle has arrived. HSE's are starting to trickle in.
  • bouldersboulders Member Posts: 18
    All maintenance is free for the first four years.That does not include wear and tear items like brake pads but does include oil changes.
    Where did you get your info. The LR3 does not share ANY parts with the Explorer. The only thing the two have in common is that they are both owned by Ford.
  • pjtpjt Member Posts: 36
    My current lease is up @ 3/1/05, and I'm considering an LR3 (or BMW X5) for my next vehicle. I live in the Boston area and was wondering if you'd be willing to share the details of your LR purchase experience, i.e., dealership, pricing in relation to MSRP, length of wait after ordering, etc. Thanks for any information.
  • teldocteldoc Member Posts: 49
    GW123

We picked up an SE7 for my wife last week. I do notice the heating elements in the windshield but only at night when headlights are coming at us, it looks somewhat like a dirty windshield. A friend went for ride last night and immediately asked what was with the windshield?

My wife says it doesn't bother her one bit and since she drives it 95% of the time, that's all that counts.
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    We've owned an LR3 for about a month and love it. Still own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. The Jeep rides like a go-cart compared to the LR. I like the functionality of the vehicle. Everything makes sense.

Fits in a single-car garage without having to fold the mirrors

Seats 7 comfortably

The vertical space

Voice commands

Smooth ride and good power

Great Audio system

Bluetooth capable

Dislikes:

Low gas mileage (A turbodiesel would be perfect)

Sunvisors need a pullout (sun over the rearview)

Nav likes strange routes sometimes

Lack of HSEs
  • ypshanypshan Member Posts: 103
    ajn999,

Can you post a pic of your wood trim? I have seen some on eBay but they are in different places than the factory wood kit. Not sure which one looks better so a pic would be very helpful.

Thanks.
  • beachbumbeachbum Member Posts: 28
    Can your please state where on E-bay you bought the wood trim. Was it the factory trim? Thank you.
  • us3innjus3innj Member Posts: 4
    pjt,

We're in NJ and bought at Paramus. Haven't driven an x5 myself. We drove to L.R. after shopping/testing a couple of X3's on election day (yes, we voted first). After considering size and the cost of a loaded 3.0 relative to the LR3...

Pricing is stiff. They don't have to do any selling, as you can probably tell from the interest on this forum.

They were going to give us $500.00 off an SE, and cut that to $240.00 when we moved to the HSE citing a tighter margin. They're harder to come by too. A salesman at L.R. Manhattan said the HSE's that he can get are dribbling in, pre-sold.

I've heard the $500.00 number online a couple of times and guess it's a standard gimme.

We ordered early Nov and drove home Dec 1.

We picked an incoming unit with the options we wanted - cold climate, 3rd row, rear climate - and in one of the 3 colors the wife and I agreed to agree on. Tonga/Alpaca. I like it. It looks sharp. I'd initially wanted bonnati and alpaca, which they tried to talk me out of, and would have had to wait until Feb/March.

I can't for the life of me understand why we can't get the same color choices as the U.K.! I would have waited for a couple of those, especially the third interior option.

It was supposed to show up +/- T-day and we called regularly when it didn't. They had others coming in with different options.

In the end we got the hvy duty & tow packages thrown in. Either the salesman muffed it, or they sold the one we layed claim to , but they made good, and we were satisfied. He also told us the HSE came with wood, which it didn't, but they are going to give it to us. Suffice to say we are pleased.

As for availability, Paramus lays claim to being the biggest L.R. dealer in the US, though this could only mean by volume judging by the size of the showroom (and lack of test track).

The truck itself is sweet. I climbed out of a Civic into this thing and was intimidated going into my firt highway corner, but it tracks like it's on rails. Solid. Can't wait for some rocks.

Sorry for going on. Hope this helps, and would be glad to offer more.
  • us3innjus3innj Member Posts: 4
    Thanks tincup. I've had my nose in the Nav guide trying get it to do things my way, guess I should read these rest.

The dealer staightened me out on the mats - they leave the lugs for the customer to do as many don't like boring into their carpets - they were in the lower glove.
    Just p/u my HSE last night and drove it 150 miles back home. If you focus on the windshield you can see the elements at night when a car is coming toward you.

To do this you have to take your focus off the road ahead of you. For the driver should not be a problem. I could see how a passenger would be more cognizant of the elements.
    Has anyone gone through airport security with their key fob and had any problems?
  • michaelwillemsmichaelwillems Member Posts: 151
    a) My wife has the same heated windscreen and really, unless you WANT to focus on it it is no problem

b) I have the accessory ("vehicle kit") list and prices for Canada
    us3innj:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your information has been very helpful. My primary issue with the X5 is cost/value, and spending big money on a 2005 vehicle that hasn't changed in 5 model years. I had a 1998 528i, and the dash and interior appointments of the X5 are essentially the same. Also, the X5's limited cargo space and rear legroom are negatives. I started looking at the Volvo XC90, the Taureg and the X5 until I saw some television commercials for the LR3. I hadn't previously considered it because a friend of mine had a bad experience with a big Range Rover. Anyway, thanks again.
  • eelpouteelpout Member Posts: 32
    anything else you miss from the RR besides wood? How do the noise and ride compare?
  • sport320sport320 Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone seen the rear inside area of the 5 seat configuration? We have only seen the 7 seat configuration and we were wondering if you gain any storage without the third row of seats? In the volvo for example without the third row, you gain a storage compartment with a door flush into the floor.
  • webbuzzwebbuzz Member Posts: 36
    sport320 - There is ZERO difference between cargo width and depth between the 5 and 7 seat configs. The only thing you might lose is a few inches in height, but, I doubt it.

The LR3 is different than the Series I/II Discos that had fold-away seats.
    us3innj,

Sounds like you've got a great deal.

$500 discount

$375 tow package

$625 heavy duty package

$613 wood

That's $2,113 worth of discount on an HSE. Congratulations!

By the way, Paul Miller Land Rover (NJ) has ~30 LR3's in the lot when I went by today. They are coming in volume now.
  • jackmacjackmac Member Posts: 26
    pjt:

For what it's worth, I also looked at the X5, Toureg, XC90, GX400, etc. I have a '00 328Ci sport/prem and was ready to get the X5 4.4i with updated drivetrain for '04 .

Decided to wait for the LR3 after reading the preview information, and will be ordering an HSE in early '05 rather than the X5. (Keeping the 328Ci, selling our 4Runner) Same reasons as you listed - space, and current X5 is in it's final 2 years. LR3 onroad handling exceeded my expectations for a vehicle of this size.

Expecting that the reliabily concerns of LR's of the past have improved, since trading hands to BMW and now Ford. They have the investment funds available for engineering and manufacturing now. Will expect some early glitches, and will monitor this board for owner reports and experiences.
  • midcoastmidcoast Member Posts: 4
    My Salesguide (at Land Rover Cape Fear) indicated recently that the HSE Nav Radio could be upgraded to receive Sirrus sat services in the future. Has anyone else heard this?
    Here is a link to a an article where a Land Rover product guy made mention of future upgrades. But, this could be for a market other than North America, given this article is for Africa.

With the explosion in infotainment technology we’ve kept our options open by incorporating the latest flash memory.

"The software can be upgraded to include options such as satellite radio and digital TV when they become available," he added."

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2292281&fSecti- - onId=928&fSetId=381
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Now that I have talked to dealers in many states, they say that they won't accept xplan because the car is in such high demand.

Is it the dealers choice whether or not to allow it. Has anyone else experience it. Dealer told me 500 off the invoice was the best that they had offered anyone.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    That's the Alpine guy, not Land Rover, talking about the system they developed for Land Rover. I'm personally not holding my breath waiting for a "fully integrated" Sirus (or XM) upgrade. The current head unit, with it's tiny LCD display, would be barely adequate to navigate Sirius or XM easily.

Heck, the current head unit doesn't even display MP3 tag or Audio CD-Text information. :( What was Alpine thinking?
    Correct... the dealer makes the decision if they wish to participate in A-Plan, X-Plan, Z-Plan, etc.

I've seen numerous dealers with multiple LR3s ready for immediate purchase. You'll see far more as time goes on... especially into the New Year. But don't expect massive discounting anytime soon.
    Land Rover North America released the "official" LR3 kit marketing and pricing earlier this month. They are not including installation costs, if necessary, in the marketed prices. It's basically the same kit list with some different naming. Front Lamp Guards, originally listed, will not be available.

This is valid as of December 1, 2004.

U.S. LR3 VEHICLE KIT ACCESSORIES

Format is Description - MSRP [Part Number]

- Body Side Molding - $71.00 [DGJ500010PMA]

- Side Steps - $605.00 [VTK500010]

- Black Side Protection Tubes - $605.00 [VTD500010]

- Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes - $892.00 [VTD500020]

- Hitch Mounted Bike Rack - $421.00 [LRNAPBR4]

- Expedition Roof Rack - $966.00 [CAB500020PMA]

- Quick Release Tow Bar - $375.00 [KNB500023]

- Towing Electrics - $87.00 [YWJ500220]

- Lockable Crossbars - $225.00 [CAP500020]

- Wind Deflector - $147.00 [VUB502390]

- Day Tent - $674.00 [VTW500010]

- Electric Winch - $2360.00 [VUB501470]

- Electric Winch Accessory Kit - $237.00 [STC53202]

- Driving Lamp Kit - $575.42 [VUB502850]

- Driving Lamp Mounting Brackets for Bumper - $73.00 [VUU500110]

- Driving Lamp Mounting Brackets for Brush Bar - $63.00 [VUU500140]

- Rear Lamp Guards - $242.00 [VUB502590]

- A-Frame Protection Bar - $570.00 [VUB501210]

- A-Frame Protection Bar with Winch Compatibility - $570.00 [VUB501230]

- Brush Bar - $450.00 [VUB501270]

- Brush Bar with Winch Compatibility - $450.00 [VUB502660]

- Front Mud Flaps - $69.00 [CAS500010PCL]

- Rear Mud Flaps - $69.00 [CAT500010PCL]

- Burr Walnut Wood Fascia Kit - $613.00 [VUB501160]

- DVD System - $1450.00 [YIP500280]

- DVD Installation Kit - $249.00 [VUB503140]

- Additional Set of Headphones for DVD - $85.00 [YIN500050]

- Slding Loadspace Floor - $795.00 [VTO500010]

- Cargo Barrier - $234.00 [VUB501170]

- Cargo Divider - $225.00 [EOH500040]

- Black Premium Carpet Mat Set - $136.00 [EAH500080PVJ]

- Beight Premium Carpet Mat Set - $152.00 [EAH500081SUC]

- Black Rubber-Backed Carpet Mat Set - $138.00 [EAH500040PVJ]

- Beige Rubber-Backed Carpet Mat Set - $152.00 [EAH500042SUC]

- Rubber Mast Set - $121.00 [EAH500050PMA]

- Third-Row Rubber Mat - $35.00 [EAH500100PMA]

- Waterproof Front Seat Covers - $194.00 [VCF500061PVJ]

- Waterproof Rear Seat Covers for 5-Seat LR3s - $216.00 [PCF500070PVJ]

- Waterproof Rear Seat Covers for 7-Seat LR3s- $337.00 [VCF500150PVJ]

- Loadspace Protector - $197.00 [EBF500010]

- Loadspace Mat - $121.00 [EAH500070PMA]

- Sill Tread Plates - $198.00 [EBN500041]

Prices may vary and do not include installation cost. Consult your local Land Rover Retailer for rates
    It's ironic that the picture and example Ford shows on the first page as you sign in to the X-plan site is an LR3.

You may want to call Ford and find out whether the dealership can selectively participate in the program per vehicle.

Also wait a month or two will help a lot since the inventory is beginning to pile up (at least at my local dealership).
    Picked up my fully loaded black LR3 HSE on 11/23 after trading in my Acura MDX. Excited at first by the overall ride, refinement and interior materials, However, Friday morning 11/26 the car would not start. (I was parked nose first in a 10-15 degree inclined driveway). Checked my fuel gauge which read slightly less than 1/4 tank. I then called LR roadside assistance which sent a mechanic to check the battery but I could tell that it was not a battery problem since all lights and radio worked fine. Next came a tow truck driver who attempted to drag it onto a flat bed. On a hunch, I asked the guy to stop once the vehicle got on to the level portion of the driveway and tried starting the LR3 again.

Without hesitation the vehicle started. I called the dealer who, needless to say was clueless. After filling up my gas tank I drove to the dealership to have the car checked out.

As of this writing, the dealer has not figured out what the problem was and I have not had a repeat of the problem since I've made sure to keep my gas tank above 50% full( I still park nose first same driveway) According to the service supervisor, he fowarded all the info that he received from his initial diagnostic tests to LRNA. They've concluded that it was probably a defective fuel pump. So, on Tuesday 12/14 the entire fuel tank and pumps will be replaced.

Oh BTW, my car was delivered without a spare. I hadn't noticed the problem the night I took delivery of the vehicle. Dealer ordered a new one. Other problems include a high pitched hum that seems to be coming from the rear above 60mph. I am not sure whether it is a tire noise. Also, when driving the vehicle cold, there is a gentle vibration in the steering wheel. It always goes away when completely warmed up.

On the positive side, the dealership experience at LR of Larchmont has been A+.

I will keep you posted.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Just curious, since the LR3 and MDX are both on our shopping list (along with GX470, XC90 V8), what prompted you to trade the MDX for the LR3?

Probably the biggest hesitancy I have regarding the LR3 is fear of problems/reliability of Land Rover vs. Acura or Lexus. The LR3 also has a bit more body roll and considerably lower gas mileage than the MDX. I guess you overcame these issues?

My wife would prefer the MDX, mostly because of the amenities - integrated Bluetooth, XM, backup camera in Nav system, interior quality, etc. I am attracted to the LR3 for its more serious capabilities getting through snow and muck. But, given that we'd be buying for cash, the idea of dropping $53k on an LR3, possibly having problems following the warranty period and then facing Land Rovers horrific depreciation record is a bit concerning. At least with the MDX, a trade in a couple of years would be relatively painless. The LR3 is a marriage for life, unless you are prepared to lose about $25,000+ in the first 2-3 years. A friend who bought a 1 year old Range Rover for nearly $20k under the new vehicle price has advised against ever buying a new Land Rover. He has never driven anything other than a RR since 1994 and has never bought new.
    That is truly sad.....
    My dealer quoted me a price of ~$3K for the DVD system including install. I am pretty sure that I will go to one of the "big box' electronics retailers for mine. i am just concerned about how it will look.
    I too considered the MDX. I chose the LR3 primarily because the vehicle qualifies as a section 179 is deductible if used for business. (by the way, what is the final word on how much is deductible if bought in 04 vs. 05)

I also felt the MDX looks are rather bland when compared to the LR3. It didn't help that the Acura dealer pretty much ignored us when we went to see their car (the cars sell themselves) The rear seat was much more practical on the LR3 too.

Finally, we felt we owed ourself a treat to vehicle as distinctive as the LR3. We're only going this way one time, we may as well enjoy it.

The gas milage didn't turn us off too much as this is a third vehicle that would allow the whole family to travel together as one. The more fuel efficient car would be used for errands, hauling, etc.

No regrets so far.
    I was told the LR3 would take wheels as large as 22". Does anyone know the specifics on the wheel size, lug pattern, offset etc. What profile tire would go with that. the online tire vendors don't seem to have LR3s in their system yet. thanks in advance.

No I won't ruin the vehicle with 22s, but I would like to customize just a little.
    jackmac:

Thanks for the input. I've been driving an Audi A6 for 3 years after having the 528i for 4 years. I really miss the BMW's ride and handling, which is why I was considering the X5. Relative to the current X5 being in its last 2 years, the reason I went with the A6 in 2002 was that the 5 series hadn't changed from '98. As I mentioned previously, cost/value and space issues have pretty much eliminated the X5. VW reliability issues have caused the Taureg to fall below the XC90 and LR3 on my short list. I drove Volvos before the BMW, and put a total of 400K miles on 2 of them without any problems; solid and reliable. I haven't test-driven any of these vehicles yet, so I may have to go back to the drawing board if no one of them stands out ... though I'll be surprised if this is the case. I welcome any further input from you or anyone else out there concerning their experiences. I'm in the Boston area, so I'd be curious about dealer and pricing experiences for both the XC90-V8 and LR3. Thanks again.
    Quote: "I am pretty sure that I will go to one of the "big box' electronics retailers for mine. i am just concerned about how it will look."

Most dealers are installing non-OEM DVD systems in the LRs since the Land Rover one wasn't initially available... and yes, they normally charge about $3K. They've all looked fine. You can save money by going elsewhere, of course.

I have yet to see an OEM DVD kit in the LR3. If it's anything like the show car I saw and the pictures in the guide, it seems to mount lower and occupies a little more space than the 3rd party installs I've seen. I have no idea if there are any real advantages getting the OEM one, other than an easier install by the installer. There is no specific product information available.
    Thanks grommet!

You seem to always have the answer.
  • teamkteamk Member Posts: 8
    My HSE should be coming in here in the SF Bay Area on Friday or Saturday this week -- hopefully it shows up.

Rode in my friend's car all day Saturday..excellent ride, very smooth, can't wait to get mine.

I've seen a couple of people saying they had to add the Electrical Package for Towing -- does anyone have more details on how this is done? Seems awfully strange not to have an electrical hookup right by the hitch mount like every other car produced.....

Will update when I get my HSE...
  • xchicagoan5xchicagoan5 Member Posts: 46
    A fried of mine said that it has the same lug pattern as the Corvette. He then sent me pictures of several 20" and 22" wheels that would fit the LR3. You local custom wheel shop should already have the specs once you tell them you have an LR3.

Also, there is a site that specializes in customizing Range Rovers. I asked if they offered their wheels for the LR3. Right now, they are only offering their 22" wheels. BTW - they look really good and might be worth checking into. Email me for the site info as I am not sure I can post here without violating the forum rules.
    You should find out whether the OEM DVD system uses the MOST bus. If so, the signals are delivered to the Alpine head unit in digital format and then redistributed to the speakers using the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound decoder.

The MOST (digital) technology also would let you select your individual source from the individual output plugs and may even allow you to control the volume from the pads on the doors instead of having to reach for the DVD unit.
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Not actually thinking of doing this, but today, when discussing going with the SE over the HSE because lack of availability someone mentioned that you can get a fantastic aftermarket indash DVD and Nav system in the LR3.

I would think it is to new to have this info out, but thought i would ask the board to see if anyone has heard of or seen on yet.

Also my dealer will sell me a SE with every option of the HSE (obviously not the better radio). Can anyone think of anything wrong with that. They will put the larger wheels on the SE. Any other difference?????
  • nomad232nomad232 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone seen the WARN winch kit on the LR3 with the A-Frame protection bar? I orderd the A-Frame, Winch Kit, and Off Road lighting package today for my LR3. I have the accessories catalog but the only picutre is quite a close up and it doesn't really give it much "over-all" justice. The only other picture i can find on the net is that Orange G4 photo of the LR3 with all the G4 kit on it. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Christian
    I traded in the MDX because it began to develop more problems than one would expect from a Honda product.I love Honda's and still own an Accord but I can give you a laundry list of issues with the MDX. In the interest of time and space let's just say it has its issues. The ride quality and interior materials are no where close to the LR3's. Anyone who claims otherwise is not being honest. I know. I drove the MDX for three plus years and I test drove the '04.Also, the interior decibels climb rapidly in the MDX above 60 mph. Acura has attempted to rectify the problem with thicker glass and more insulation in the newer model year but has only improved the problem somewhat. One just cannot compare the third row seat space in the Acura,Volvo or Lexus to the Lr3. For me that was a big issue since I have two little girls.

BTW the warranty on the LR3 is 4 yrs/48k miles during which all maintenance, except wear and tear items, is free. Acura's is 3 yrs and there is no free routine maintenance last I checked and it IS FAR FROM A TROUBLE FREE CAR. Please refer to the Acura forums at AcuraMDX.org. I once lived on the problems portion of that forum.

Finally, my dealership experience at Land Rover has been far better than Acura's. Futhermore, I am from the english-speaking - as we like to say, the British Caribbean. For us there are only two cars to take off road, Toyota or Land Rover.
    US HSE has 8-way power driver's seat with memory (vs. 6-way power without memory on SE) and memory side mirrors.

That, along with the more-powerful "Premium" stereo, bigger wheels and (optional) Adaptive Headlights are the only differences the HSE has over a "fully loaded" SE. Not too exciting, eh?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Thanks for the response. Sorry to hewar you had problems with your MDX. I would be interested in a brief list of them; post over on the MDX board if you have a minute.

I'll try test driving the LR3 this week to see if I discern a difference in highway noise. I must admit that after driving an Isuzu Trooper for 80,000 miles (and S2000 for 18,000 miles until this spring), my decible meter is probably broken. The MDX and GX470 certainly seemed quiet enough for me on the highway. I actually would have thought the larger, more aggressive treaded tires of the LR3 would havbe made it the noisier of the group.

I appreciate the 4 yr/48k mile warranty and free maintenance. However, it's essentially 4 years worth of free oil changes and routine service, which costs very little in an MDX. My friend with a Range Rover suggested asking what a complete brake job (disks and polish rotors) would cost on the LR3. The response I got fom the dealer was a timid "about $1,000". He's had three of these in 40,000 miles of driving his RR and they are NOT part of the free scheduled maintenance program of Land Rover. I guess that's the downside of buying a 6,000 lb vehicle and driving it as a commuter car 90% of the time.

My real dilemma is that, in order to justify $53k for the LR3, I need to be confident that we can keep the vehicle for 8-10 years and 100k+ miles without major problems or being taking to the cleaners by the "english speaking" Land Rover service department. Or that we can get out of it in 3-4 years before the warranty is up, without losing both arms and both legs. The latter is questionable, given Land Rover's history with other models. It is dead last in terms of resale value of any vehicle we have even remotely considered and is worse, in fact, than Isuzu. At least the XC90, which had some first year issues in 2003, maintained excellent resale and now appears to have it's bugs out.

So I'm left with the dilemma of flipping an 8-10 year coin on the LR3. I'm also being advised by my RR friend to wait for the 2006, when he is willing to bet me that (a) some unknown bugs will have surfaced and have been addressed and (b) the price will drop to $1,000 over invoice and (c) the HSE will be more readily available in any color combination you want and (d) the Bluetooth and Nav system will be tweaked to integrate better.

Good rational advice, but I'll probably let my emotions rule