Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    SSp1, my wipers just don't seem noisy. But, my hearing is about 90% (too much disco music in the 70's, I guess)

Mark156 :)
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • stillwatersstillwaters Member Posts: 33
    My LR3 wipers are really noisy too. :cry: I am thinking of trying some Rain-X or something on them.

I have heard from several places thought that LR3 simply has noisy windsheid wipers and that I gotta "live with it"... :(

Otherwise I agree the LR3 is as close to PERFECT as an SUV can get. It seems almost an insult to call it an "SUV."

Keith
  • ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    Well I hope they get enough complaints to modify how they work so the noise goes away by 2008 when i lease a new one
  • morocco2morocco2 Member Posts: 43
    Since I got my 2007 LR3 HSE three weeks ago we got a lot of rain up here and nothing weird to report with the auto wipers. They actually work great and no noticeable noise except if the winshield gets dry. :shades:
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    I think it may have something to do with temperature.

I first got my LR3 in September, and things were fine, then it dropped below 10 degrees (celcius) and they started getting noisy.

anyone noticed their rear wiper not pressing hard enough against the window? I sometimes have to give it a 'shake' to gt it to re-seat properly. (by this I mean I lift it off the window to bend the arm at the joint, then let it snap back on the window..)
    Actually the other day the temperature dipped down to -15 (celsius)with some light snow and I did not notice any change in performance. It seems to me, compare to other vehicles I have owned, that the heated windshield appears to help the performance of the front wiper blades under snowy and cold conditions. ;) My rear wiper seems fine so far even when the temperature dips down.
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    I just turned 20,000 miles on my 05 LR3 and have nothing to say except: WHAT A GREAT, WONDERFUL, AND PERFECT VEHICLE !!

I've had no problems except for a slight creaking noise when turning the steering wheel so the dealer replaced the "spiral casette" (whatever that is) and now it's smooth and quiet. My tires are showing even, normal wear although they are getting noisier. I've also had one instance where my front, right window would not close all the way until I lowered it, and closed it again (??).

I look forward to driving the LR3 much more than my other vehicles (Mercedes sedan, Toyota truck, and Mazda MX5 convertible) so each time I get to, it's just like Christmas all over again.

Wishing everyone Happy Holidays !
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    .......so the dealer replaced the "spiral casette" (whatever that is).......

Also known as a 'clock spring' among other things, it enables the steering wheel electrical controls to maintain contact with the wiring in the column while the wheel is being turned.
    My 2006 LR3 is one of four cars I own (besides my 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab, 2003 Pontiac Sunfire, and 1929 (replica) Mercedes SSK). I read the forums for all my cars and nowhere else but in the Land Rover forum do I pick up the absolute LOVE for a vehicle that Land Rover owners have for their cars...

The previous poster was right, just getting behind the wheel of the LR3 is a joy. This vehicle is a well thought out, tightly built, premium, go anywhere, quality machine.

I can't WAIT for it to snow!

Merry Christmas to you all and may we all keep in mind who's birthday we are celebrating...

Keith :)
    So if I have a "telephone" button on my stereo system but do not have the telephone paddle switches on my steering wheel, do I have bluetooth?

Keith :confuse:
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    No. All have the telephone button. The paddles are added with the dealer-install PTI, too.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Yup but if you have PTI installed after the fact at the dealer you cannot dial from the dialpad by the radio.

You can only dial by using voice comands after hitting the toggles that will be installed on the steering wheel.
  • gccambridgegccambridge Member Posts: 24
    I have long, long wanted the Disco/LR3 (since the first Disco). Finally made the leap a few days ago and couldn't be happier! :) Have a base V6 with cold weather package. Bought a "service loaner" with 8 miles on it! Paid $10,200 off sticker while being given $700 over KBB trade-in (excellent condition) for my Jeep GC. Dealer is vying for sales leadership in New England I think...

A few quick questions.

- I live in the Northeast. I've always noticed that the Discos seemed to have quite a bit of rust in the undercarriage. Any thoughts on undercoating the LR3? Is it useful or completely unneccessary? I do plan to keep this car for a long while and it will go off road!

- Any other tips? Recommendations for must have accessories?

- Recalls or TSBs to watch out for? I have a grinding sound from the front passenger side tires when reversing with the wheels at full turn. Will be taking it in.

- For those considering the V6, I do find it pulls decently.

Thanks!!!
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    We had our big snow storm last week. It shut down most of the city as I'm sure you've heard on the national news. At my house, it was about 30 inches over about 30 hours. About level with my picnic table.
    My residential street is never plowed. A few pickup trucks travel down it during the storm so it has a couple tracks but is deep everywhere but in the 2 tracks.
    I took the LR3 out once in the evening of the first day of the storm, after about 15 inches had fallen. No one else was out. I just had to try it out. On the second day I loaded a snowblower in the back and went out to clear some ones house. No problem in either trip except when I pulled off a plowed street into the deep stuff to park. When it seemed stuck I tried the grass/snow mode which is not good for deep snow - I think it's good for ice and slick surfaces. I put it in rock crawl to lock the differentials (I have the locking rear differential that comes with the heavy duty package)and hit the gas and it just climbed out.
    I do have great snow tires though - the Nitto Terra Grapplers which I just got a week or two ago. I think it would have struggled if it had the stock Goodyears. I did pull a stuck minivan off my block - after trying to shovel it out, it was bottomed out in the snow. I couldn't even feel it behind me as I dragged it somewhat sideways out of the deep snow.

Add me to the list: I love this truck and look forward to driving it every time I have somewhere to go.
    Very Cool.

Up here in Canada, we can get some pretty good blows too... when my sister and bro-in-law moved to Ottawa, their first year there, they couldn't figure out why everyone on their street was taking the screens off of their windows in the fall - he found out the hard way -

After some serious snowfall (common in Ottawa), people had to crawl out their second story windows to get out of their houses... His car was buried under 10-12 feet of snow.

After they had finally dug themselves out several hours later, the car was sitting in the driveway with what looked like two vertical white walls on either side of it.

They're pretty much used to it now, and he owns several pairs of snow shoes, a lifted Jeep YJ and two HD snowblowers (in case one breaks down from over-use).

/DA
  • familyautofamilyauto Member Posts: 2
    I test drove the LR3 last year and really liked it but was put off by the reliability problems (many of which were reported on this forum). Are the reliability issues now generally a thing of the past?
    Hello

I took delivery of a 2007 LR3 HSE a month ago. After 2000 miles I have had no problems. It is an absolute pleasure to drive. Recently completed a 700 miles trip to be with family for Xmas. The LR3 was loaded with 4 adults and two children. Half of the back end where the 7th seat is was loaded with gifts to the roof and the luggage rack was also full. We drove through freezing rain and snow without any problems. :shades:

As we say so far so good ;)
  • ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    Driven about 11,000 no problems. Had other land rovers and never a break down. I spoke with service techs and they all agree this is mechanically a better vehicle. the only issues have been catching up with all the technology in the car. If you read about other vehicles (on this web site including the message boards where people discuss problems perhaps less Toyota) you will find the LR3 holds its own real well. Its expensive but based on alot of research the most flexible vehicle on the market.
    I'm at 11,121 miles (54 weeks of ownership) and will be putting another 2,000 miles on it when I drive it back to California in about a week.

I need to knock on wood as I have no (not one) rock chip or scratch on the front. Maybe I have been lucky or the paint on the LR3 is much stronger than the 2002 Mercedes ML500 it replaced. I had a lot of rock chips on the Mercedes and a cracked windshield when I traded it (4yrs and 48,000 miles).

The only thing that has come up is that the black covering on the #2 garage door button on the rear view mirror has flaked off a little bit. I'll have them replace it when I'm in for my next service.

My tires are wearing even (gotten a little noisier) but drives straight and smooth.

I'm extremely happy with this vehicle and reliability.

Mark156 :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    in the paper today. A dealership was advertising a sign and drive 30 month lease on 2006 demo LR3s (6k miles with MSRP of $54,000) for $499/ month plus tax. Only downfall is it is a 10,500 mile per year lease.

How much does LR charge you for miles if you buy upfront?

It is definitely enticing, but I'm nowhere near in the market for a vehicle.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jmstachjmstach Member Posts: 5
    I am the proud owner of a 2007 LR3 SE (Fully Loaded) Silver with black. Mine is only the second 07 in Hawaii and the first sold. What a better way to celebrate my birthday than receive my new Rover
  • skidadleskidadle Member Posts: 17
    I just bought an LR3 / 06 / V6. It does not have the DVD package or NAV. Has anyone put in these optons after market? What NAV or DVD products would you suggest? Can you recommend any vendors in the Denver Colorado area?

Thanks
  • dwmlr3dwmlr3 Member Posts: 1
    How do your tires work on dry pavement? I am looking to replace my stock tires on my 2005 LR3 with something more aggressive.
  • skidadleskidadle Member Posts: 17
    I don't know yet. I traded in my Mustang during the blizzard over the last week and the snow is still on the ground!
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    As I've stated in numerous previous posts, I put 40,000 miles on an 00 Discovery II with not one problem cropping up and I'm at 20,500 miles on my 05 LR3 HSE and no problems there either. I've had many more problems with my bloody Toyota trucks, Mercedes cars, and BMW roadsters than I ever had with the Land Rovers.

Rover on and NO FEAR....
    Hi folks!

Here is an update after 1 month of ownership and 3000 miles. Simply put I love this SUV :shades: . I am glad I opted to pay an extra $30.00 a month to go from the SE to the HSE. The extra features (NAV, 500 watts Logic 7 sound system to name few) are worth it. Here are some observations on features I enjoy and what I consider to be some minor areas for improvements:

Features I like the most:

1. NAV system is great accurate and easy to use
    2. The bluetooth and voice command integration provide great convenience. Mind you the voice command can be frustrating at first (if you have a french accent like I do) but after a while you get the hang of it.
    3. Terrain response provides great choices and flexibility to face all kinds of driving conditions
    4. Command shift adds to the driving pleasure and provides a more involved driving experience. I use it in city driving except in heavy traffic. Great feature to extend the life of your brake pads.
    5. Harman Kardon Logic 7 500 watts sound system. Especially when I am alone in my LR3 :shades:
    6. Great seating flexibility provided by 7 seat option

Here are some areas for improvement:

1. The rear cargo area cover could use a built in handle for ease of use. My wife's little Escapes has one and I find here cargo cover easier to use

2. Even if it is not a major issue the location of the window control could be problematic for drivers with long legs who sit further from the steering column.

Today was my first visit with the service department to check two minor issues. First was some condensation in the front headlamps units. The condensation appeared below the main headlights but disappeared quickly. They will replace the seals around both units. Some vibration coming from the front passenger speakers requiring some adjustment.

Continues to be greatly impressed with this vehicle :)
  • maytalmaytal Member Posts: 12
    Hi Everyone,

I just leased a 2006 LR3 but didn't want to buy the tow hitch receiver through land rover since I figured I could buy it elsewhere for less.

Does anyone know any place to get a good deal on a trailer hitch receiver? Do dealers ever have sales on such things?

Thank you.
    Hi dwmlr3,
    So far, on dry pavement, the Nittos might be slightly noisier than the origianl Goodyears but not enough to make me miss the Goodyears. When they were new, the Goodyears were absolutely silent, but by the time they had 6000 miles I seemed to think they were starting to make more noise. They still had no noticible cupping or wear, but they measured to have used 2/32 of tread from new. I think I had calculated that they were 1/3rd uses if I replaced them at 2/32 left.
    As for the Nittos, they ride just fine on dry pavement. I doubt they could handle as well as the Goodyears but I drive pretty sanely, (I'd like to think), so I'm certain the Nittos will handle any dry situation adequately. Same for wet. And I know that in snow or dirt the Nittos excell.
    I bought mine on ebay. I think I got it for about $225. You can search on completed auctions to see what they went for.
    They're a bit tricky to install, and even trickier to unlatch :)

You can get the installation manual online if you need to, as the hitch doesn't seem to come with one...
  • homestarmanhomestarman Member Posts: 17
    so is the reliability good in 07's? And also I've heard nightmares about the car going full throttle but not moving then it jolts. Is that fixed? Just wondering 'cause it is something that is scaring me.(oh and reliability as in Toyota reliability and Land Rover longetivity :D )
    I can only speak for myself but I have a 2007 LR3 HSE. I picked it up 30 Nov and so far so good. I have racked up close to 3000 miles in my first month. Only one minor issue. Early on I got some condensation in the front headlamps assembly. It disappeared after two days, returned briefly and has not occurred again. Land rover will replace the seal around the light assembly or something like that.

So far I have not regrets and truly enjoy driving the LR3
    When I saw the interior, it seemed like a plastic nightmare, is the plastic the kind you find in a Chevy (read: low quality chintzy things) or is it something more like Land Rover Grade(read: high quality durable metal like)LR3 is good, just wish that more of the interior was like a Range Rover. Plus, is the V8 nice a powerful for passing that big rig on the highway? Eh, I heard that the LR3 had a trans fault where you coast for a bit and then gun it, it does nothing then all of a sudden jolts quickly making the Landie lurch. Is that really still there?
    The interior is nice! It may be plastic, but so is the Rangie... The Rove rplastic has a really nice tactile feel to it, and it's as solid as a tank - no moving interior panels like Mercedes, Ford or Toyota. the interior is as tight as an Audi or a BMW.

As for the engine, wherever you heard that about it lurching must have been a one-off thing. I've never heard of anyone having it, and I certainly have never had it (late-2006 LR3 HSE).

Yes the V8 is very nice - I would say the engine and tranny are now my favourite part of the truck. After the wow of the gadgetry and other bits wear off, it's how the vehicle drives that leaves a lasting impression - and this one drives like silk.

/DA
    Every vehicle has a lot of plastic in it now. Unless you are buying an exotic there is plastic everywhere.

The lurching transmission was a problem with the software in the transmission. The transmission shifts into neutral when coming to a stop to save gas but in a rolling stop situation the transmission would shift into neutral too soon causing the lurch and then would shift into first gear instead of second. That caused the lurching problem. At a roling stop you don't need first gear you need second gear.

We had a service loaner LR3 that had a severe jerking/lurching problem. After many different experimental software patches Land Rover developed a patch that solved the jerking problem. Various versionf of that experimental patch are now used to solve the jerking problem.
    That's good, considering that all Land Rover's used to be :lemon: , now it's all :) for most of us! So that's a good thing now. If only the LR3 has more wood and a bigger engine, LR3 sales would be outta the ballpark, even though the Landie is 2 years old. so :shades:
    Hi homestaman,
    If you want more wood in the interior you can buy a wood trim kit. The interior of the LR3 is very nice without being overstated. It is quiet and comfortable. As for the engine, I don't know why you need a bigger one. I live in Colorado and make frequent trips in the mountains. I have never wanted more power than I had available. In fact, I rarely use all of the power it has. I don't recall ever even flooring it. If you need more power than that, I'd suggest a turbo RR Sport or something lighter.

For me, I love this truck just the way it is.
    It's just the fact that everyone likes to have a big shiny V8 with lotsa wood when buying luxo-utes, but still, still renembers that Utility Vehicle is 2/3 of the Luxo-ute formula, and I think that wood is just a nice thing to show off when family is here, but it's ok, the look of the LR3 is enough :shades: and so is the techy gadgetry :)
    I had the wood package put on my LR3. I posted a picture on this forum way back in December of 2005. If you look back, it's a black/alpaca LR3 HSE.

The wood package offered by Land Rover was discontinued so my local Land Rover/Jaguar dealer used another company. Actually, the wood choices were more attractive than what LR had. I chose walnut, gorgeous!

Wait.. was it for the whole interior or just the front? Cause' if it's the whole, awesome!! :D
    Homestarman..... The whole what??? what does that mean? I had the wood put on the front dash that includes the center, and both side where the air vents are.

This is not a pimp mobile! :P Where else would you put wood other than the dash? :confuse:

Should be that and window controls, the stereo thingies on the LR3. That's about it I guess, not much else :D

Homestarrrrrrrunner! :)
    The LR3 is primarily a utility vehicle and a luxury vehicle second.

That is entirely too much wood.
    just went to the California San Jose Auto Show Today, the LR3's plastic, i flicked it and... no noise! That must be some good plastic! Looks pretty good, after all, im typing on plastic boxes. :D
    Homer.. I've never seen wood on the window controls or the center face of the radio/air controls, etc. That would be WAY too much wood!

Actually, I agree with you, the plastic is not bad at all.

Mark :)
    Heard some guy say at the auto show" The center console is where they got cheap" don't really believe that, But if the LR3 had a nicer looking interior like Lexus or Merc's, LR3's would be good enough to be a baby rangie, so guess LR had to forget about wood.
    Hi everybody ;)

It has been almost two months since I took delivery of my 2007 LR3 HSE in Tonga Green with Alpaca interior. I have the 7 seater and added luggage rack crossbars, running board and mud flaps.

I have covered just over 5000kms and simply love this SUV. I really enjoy driving it in town but I find it is even more enjoyable to drive during longer trips.

Only two minor issues thus far and both being addressed by LR Ottawa. The first was some initial condensation in the front headlight assemblies and the second was the presence of vibration coming from the front passenger door assembly around the speakers. :surprise:

After some initial frustration with the voice recognition system seemingly caused by the systems difficulty to recognized my slight quebecois french accent, all is well. I knew I had to get french manuals to change the language setting when I had to fake a british accent to get the system to recognize my commands. :cry:

Looking forward to our upcoming trip to the off road driving school here in Montebello.

Overall I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the LR3. Solid as a rock but yet refined :shades:
    Does anybody know if the CD player can play a CD that has .mp3 files or .wma files? (I am not talking about playing those files with a mp3 player plugged into the aux jack).
    It can play MP3s.
    thanks for the reply British Rover. I'll try it.