Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• pfolkpfolk Member Posts: 70
    Most enthusiast publications for LR include several ads for companies promising to improve performance and fuel economy by re-mapping the ECU. I don't have any interest in juicing up my '07 LR3 but improving MPG would be a good thing.

Has anyone on this list done this? Would you recommend it? Will it void the factory warranty?
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    pfolk, think about it. Land Rover would love to get higher numbers on that EPA sticker. The engineers are not clueless. The LR3 is also the heaviest vehicle in it's class. You really can't do much to that petrol engine.

Now, for other countries that offer turbo diesel engines on LR3/Disco 3... it's a little different. All sorts of interesting tweaking can be done. Yes, more power and often more economy is honestly possible -- generally thanks to turbo tweaking.

Anyway, if someone claims gains are possible on the petrol engine... it's probably a scam.
    I don't think LR's engineers were clueless, or that claims for chipping are a scam. I have read several articles from responsible auto journalists that present actual dynamometer test and usage data to support the claims. The explanation given for the factory set-up is that it is the best compromise of power, efficiency, and responsiveness for all the markets in which that vehicle is likely to be sold. The factory has to take into account the range of differences in grade and quality of petrol available, altitude, operating conditions, etc.

And, unfortunately, the factory boys and girls also have to contend with perceived consumer demand for a quicker 0-60 mph time in setting up a vehicle. That tends to skew the formula against fuel economy. I will be very happy when the auto press finds something other than bhp, 0-60 times, and oversized wheels to tout as essential "requirements".

Granted, better results will be obtained with a diesel, and my next LR is likely to be a diesel, but it looks like we have to wait awhile longer for one in the US. I am just looking for ways to get the most out of the many years ahead with my HSE L3, which has been a real pleasure to drive.
    So why wouldn't you switch the voice recognition profile to French and be happy? :P I thought that's what every Quebecois wanted; to be recognized as unique, and not just another Canadian. :)

Glad to hear you're enjoying your LR3.
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    We currently have about 750 miles on our new LR3, so I was amazed the other day when I noticed that the outer tread on the front tires was already worn to the point where there were no more sipes in the tread blocks. I had to do a quick back and forth between the front and rears, as I almost thought they were different versions of the same tire. Wow! I've had R-compound with 750 miles on the track/street with less visible wear than these Goodyears.

Obviously I will ask the dealer to check the alignment at the 1.5K inspection. We have done a few trips over the hill to the beach on winding roads, so I could expect some wear; but I purposely set the cold pressures to 35/40psi to prevent scrubbing and roll-over.
  • ssp1ssp1 Member Posts: 115
    Its my understanding that the dealer must do an alignment (they will send it out) for you if you raise an issue with tire wear and ask if its the alignment or reference one of the Tech Service Bulletins. I have 12.8K miles on mine and have considerable wear on the outer part of the rear tires and much diff than the front tires (had a rotation at 7500 mi). I also heard there is another TSB out there regarding tire wear and Land Rover giving a credit for replacement tires. Does anyone know about that TSB? please respond if you do. I am checking with a Land rover indpendant service centre re the same.
    I'm curious: Why did you run at those pressures when the door sticker recommends 33 front/42 rear? It's usually best to keep the tires at recommended pressure for on-road use and deflate 5-10 psi max only when off-road.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I have a 2006 LR3 HSE with 14,500 miles. I rotated the tires at 8,800 miles and mine are wearing evenly. My tread looks really deep as if I could go to 50,000 miles. I am getting some road noise in the tires but that's fine with me as long as I have normal wear. I will probably get new tires as it gets closer to 40,000 miles as I don't like to run tires to the end of their life.

bgsntth--- having noticeable tire wear at 750 miles is totally abnormal. Take it back to the dealer ASAP!

Roving and happy... Mark156 :)
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Barely 2 months into ownership and I have broken fog lamp from road debris. Oh well... Is there a factory or after-market cover available for the fogs? Since they are used only rarely, I'd like to protect against frequent lens replacements until I really do need them. LR USA website doesn't show such an accessory.
    pfolk, funny that you mention about a broken fog light... I don't have one myself and have noticed that I have NO rock chips either.

Britishrover... is the paint on Land Rovers thicker or better than Mercedes? My 2000 E430 sport has a few rock chips... my 2002 Mercedes ML500 (traded for LR3) had plenty of rock chips. My 2006 LR3 has NO rock chips after 14,500 miles. I hope I have not jinxed it!

Mark156 :)
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    I have a 2005 LR3 SE - my Goodyears started getting very noisy at about 10K miles, at about 18K they were to a point where they were way too loud. When I mentioned to my dealer that I had heard about LR replacing these tires, he reluctantly informed me that LR was replacing 1 for every 2; he also said there was a service bulletin to correct factory alignment/camber settings that were causing some uneven wear. I pushed for different tire makes/models (from what I heard on this forum), but LR's deal was Goodyears or nothing. Unfortunately they charged $300+ for each tire, so I was still stuck for almost $700 when it was all said and done.
    I wrote LRNA to push for full reimbursement; I received a form letter back saying that a rep would call...I have traded voicemails a couple times, but they are in no real hurry to get a hold of me. Obviously I'm not a happy LR customer. Good luck.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    I used adhesive backed headlite shields from www.griotsgarage.com for my fog lights and headlights. Be forewarned before looking at their catalog or website - it will get very expensive because you will see lots of other products you will want. The headlight shields are like a clear bra for your lights but is much thicker. I used the large sheet (part number 10228), cut myself, though I don't recall if it was big enough for both headlights and both fog lights or if I used some left over from another vehicle. They also sell pre cut kits (part number 10232). This is a very good company and offer excellent customer support. They have even replaced these covers for me when I had a problem installing one and ruined the piece. The fog light install is extremely easy. The headlight install is a little harder. It is best to heat the headlight a bit - I used a heat gun and warmed the covers too.
    mark156,
    My 2002 ML320 had a fair amount of rock chips in about 40K miles, but wasn't as bad as other people on the ML forum made it out to be. My LR3 has only 7K miles but no chips yet either.
    They are located low on the front bumper, so they are bound to get hit. I expected this to happen; just didn't think it would happen on the Interstate.... I haven't found anything yet on the parts websites specializing in Landrovers, so there may be no aftermarket product available.

I can't comment on the relative merits of MB v. LR paint, but I always keep a tube of that touchup paint handy. You will need it sooner or later.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Err not sure. Mercedes always had some of the best quality paint as far as color and lack of orange peel.

Not sure about chip resistance.
    A few weeks ago, I was on the interstate and BAM.. a rock hit the windshield just left of my center view. I just knew I was going to get a crack but there was nothing. I know I dodged a bullet that time.

I expect to get rock chips or something as I use my LR3 for hwy driving. I really thought I would have 'something' on the front but I can't find even a small blemish. I know, I know, tomorrow is a new day. :cry:

I use 100% cotton baby diapers to 'soft-wipe' my LR down if it's not in need of a true full wash. Recently, I drove to Las Vegas when I pulled up to the valet to check in, he said "your Land Rover is so clean"... I told I had just washed it yesterday. I said, when I keep it clean, I get 40 miles to the gallon.... he looked at me and we both laughed. I like it when folks admire my vehicle. :blush:

Happy Roving! Mark156 :)
  • knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    My wife just recently got rid of her '05 LR3 because of on going problems with electrical bugs/faulting (and having to send it 250 miles to the nearest dealership each time it did fault). She replaced it with an '07 MB CLS550 (why she chose a car, I'll never know).

The paint on the LR3 still looked pretty much brand new when it was traded, even after 40k miles and hundreds of runs through the local car wash with drying by the same group of people. Even at an angle in direct sunlight the paint had no rock chips, very few micro scratches in the clearcoat, and no swirl marks. The MB on the other hand has only been washed a few times and those small scratches in the clearcoat are already everywhere. Even a 100% Polymide microfiber towel manages to leave those scratches in the clearcoat.

I'd have to say the LR paint is far superior to MB, regardless of how much MB sings the praise's of its new "nano-particle" paint.
    I will have to start paying attention to the New MBs we get in trade now and see how the paint looks. We got a lot of new MBs in trade all the time so it won't take long to get a good sample. Just before the winter we took in two 06 CLS500s.
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    So are all those stories out there about this truck being a maintenance nightmare true? Are yours always in the shop for repair?
  • morocco2morocco2 Member Posts: 43
    I picked my 2007 LR3 HSE on 30 Nov 06. I have clocked over 8000km with it since and went to the shop once for a very minor problem. The two headlight assemblies showed some condensation in the bottom portion and needed to be fixed. It was fixed in 1/2 a day. Other than that all is fine :shades:
    Thanks for the tip. Although I try not to use the words bra and Land Rover in the same sentence, ever, I'll give it a try. I haven't found any fixed covers in my search and this may provide enough protection to reduce the force of a rock hitting at highway speeds. Those fog lamps don't seem to have the same sort of lens cover as the main beams and they are located in a vulnerable spot.
    I have had my 06 LR3 SE7 since last May. Got 14500 miles on it. No issues at all except for the tire wear issue.

Tires seem to be the only problem I hear recurring. You hear one off stories but as far as consitent issues it seems to be that the rear tires will wear out fast.
    I absolutely love the vehicle. Went down a road that was a sheet of ice with the Hill Decent control feature and it was amazing. Off road great, on road great. its got a great manual trans feature that I think works better than others and gets alot out of the Jaguar v8 engine.

I am happy so far. So thats what I know.
    It's all relative. Operating any vehicle that has fulltime 4WD and the electronics that go into a Land Rover is likely to generate more maintenance needs than a vehicle (can anyone say Toyota?) that is not so equipped. It's just good sense to make certain the lubricants and filters are changed out regularly and you keep the tires properly inflated. The best way to avoid excess maintenance from off road forays is not to do anything stupid while you're out in the boonies. I have seen more damage done to perfectly good 4x4's by hairy-chested real men!

In my driving days, I have owned a Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, a P38 Range Rover, and now an LR3. They were all pretty good vehicles to own and drive. I didn't think the maintenance on any of them was excessive although you wouldn't get that impression from some of the posts on these forums. Remember also that these forums have a lot in common with restaurant reviews--you're more likely to hear from someone who had a bad experience than all the rest of the visitors who have no problems.
    Thanks to those of you who took the time to respond for your input. A couple of other things: the vehicle will never be used off road, and we always maintain our vehicles, scheduled maintenance being the bare minimum we will do. We've been considering a Mercedes GL 450 but the msrp for a GL 450 equipped comparably to the HSE V8 is like $10k more. Why spend what you don't have to?

Is this a true 7 passenger vehicle? Can 7 average people comfortably spend a few hours in the car?

Thanks!
    On the GL you are paying for the Three pointed star and subsdizing the massive incentives that mercedes has had to put on the R-class to keep it moving.

The LR3 can fit 7 average to above average size adults comfortably.

Check this chart out...

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

The GL does handle twisty roads a little better then the LR3 and that is mainly because the LR3 weighs several hundred pounds more then the GL.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    have you heard of LR bringing a diesel powered LR3 to our side of the pond?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

can you send me a link? what's the chart show?
    I have heard rumors that it will happen before the end of the decade.

No one will confirm or deny this rumor.

Stories like this make me think it is true as well...

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1209?@@

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/19/fords-f-150-to-get-diesel-power/
  • simba1simba1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 LR3 SE and so far I have clicked 22000 km without any major problems. I have done some back country driving and its been great so far.

Initially had some tire wear due to a Tongue and grove type washer which was unable to hold the wheels to the axle (front) resulting in too much free play. Land Rover has came up with a better design and more stronger washer. This has certainly reduced the Tire wear to normal. :)
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    No brainer- the GL. I have driven many, many LR3's because of my RR being in the shop for warranty work. As a result of these experiences, I walk from the LR3 feeling it is inferior to a Ford Explorer when you consider price/drive/dependability/overall quality.
    I have had excellent performance from my LR3 (14,600 miles; owned a year and 2 months). It seats everyone comfortably, has great power and handling.

I have had NO issues with my tyres, they are wearing evenly. I am getting a little more noise out of them from when they were new but I have lots and lots of tread left.

The Mercedes GL came out about the same time I was looking at the LR3. My past experience with Mercedes (2002 ML500) was mediocre and I was not excited about the styling of the GL... looks boring. The LR3 has a distinctive look... much nicer!

Mark156 :)
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    All,

Just to follow-up with the resolution to this issue. I took it to the dealer, who determined from the DOT # that the tires were suppossed to be on an '05 LR3, not an '06, such as mine. They also determined that the alignment was fine, but that the tires had the equivalent of 30K miles of wear on them. My 6 week old LR3 has 1.5K miles on it right now-hmmm?. After some not to happy back and forth the dealer is going to be replacing the front tires. How this came to be is, and probably will remain, a mystery. I always do a pre-delivery check on my cars, but never even thought to check if the tires were new too. I unfortunately did not notice this until I had the wheel cranked to one side, when parked, with the full tire exposed. Hence, my initial post.
    I paid a visit to my local LR dealer and inspected the machine. I found the second and third row seats rather stiff and hard and frankly rather chintzy. I couldn't see anyone spending much time in them. Looking more and more like the Mercedes GL 450.
    There is more room in the second and third row of the LR3 then the GL by several inches.

1.8 inches more head room in the second row of the LR3 then the GL450 42.4 vs 40.6 inches.

1.9 inches more head room in te third row of the LR3 then the GL450 40.1 vs 38.2 inches.

THe GL does have a couple of more inches of leg room in the second row but since it is almost 10 inches longer I would hope it would.

Leg room in the third row is 36.3 inches for the LR3 vs 34.2 inches in the GL450.

I didn't find the seats in the GL450 any more comfortable then the LR3 seats. The GL does have a more ritzy interior, with more wood and more leather but you have to pay for that. A base GL450 without a moonroof or leather interior starts where a fully loaded LR3 finishes at the mid 50k range.

I did a quick review of the GL when we took one in trade back last spring. This was one of the first ones in the country so no one had really seen it yet when they bought it. They traded it in after about 1,600 miles IIRC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ofyv5EDGkk
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    definitely see you in Cali 9-12 Apr - I look forward to it
    Excellent I am looking forward to it as well.
    On a 2006 LR3 SE V8 there's a small (1/4 inch diameter) tube vertically just behind the left end of the radiator. The tube has a cap or knob on it, and goes straight down, jogs over, then goes out of sight. It is near the radiator coolant overflow tank. It is too small to act as a filler tube for anything. I'm guessing it is a vent of some kind. I can't seem to figure out how to post a photo.
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    On the left side of the vehicle, or the left side when you're looking at the motor standing in front of the vehicle? (Vehicle's right side)
    Driver side of a US spec version.
  • bc_lr3bc_lr3 Member Posts: 3
    Land Rover South Bay sold me a damage car.

As the title said, I went to lease a brand new 06 LR3 on 2/6/07. After a week of ownership, I suspect body work on both passenger side doors. I talked to the sales and he told me the car is brand new and it is impossible to have any damage. I felt that I am fooled by the dealer so I went to inspect the car by a professional body shop and they proved to me both door were repainted. The latest from the dealer last week is that they are just going to offer to repair the door damage, which they deny to me in the beginning. I consider this is serious Business FRAUD and I want to terminate the lease because the dealer lies to me in the very beginning. I have given enough time for the dealer to resolve this problem and they failed to take and appropriate responsibility.

Long story short, "Do Not Buy Cars from Land Rover South Bay, CA" or any of their sisters company (AutoNation, Power AutoGroup). I already open a case with LRNA Case # 6909088 and LABBB Case#98179619.

Please help to spread the word to the public because I do not want anyone becomes a victim like me. Buying or Leasing a new car shouldn't turn out to be a bad experience like mine.

Thanks for reading.

BC_LR3
  • southpaw75southpaw75 Member Posts: 33
    Took a 2006 SE V8 service loaner (6000 miles) for a quick drive today. I didn't have time to get on their "track" to test offroadness prowl. I was impressed with space inside. A previous poster questioned whether 7 passenger was indeed 7 passenger. I can attest that 7 can comfortably fit in this vehicle. Best 3rd row legroom in this price range.
    Naturally I can get one of these on a severe discount. I probably wouldn't even consider an 07 paying near full price. A few observations or questions....

1. I noticed from a stop that there was a 1 second hesitation before it took off after I depressed the accelerator. Is this a product of a Rover?
    2. It is built like a tank, I agree with that. But I was surprised it wasn't a bit more refined. I know people buy LR3s for its 4wd and offroad capability but I expected a bit more luxury for $50k. It does have some nice amenities...don't get me wrong. One quick example is the climate control. Maybe it is just me but in this price range, I expect digital readouts of temperatures and not having to turn a dial to select temp. It just seems like something you would see in a pre-2002 vehicle.
    3. What options/extras come in handy? The one I drove had the climate control but nothing else. No NAV, no Sat radio. Will I have remorse for not getting it "macked out"?

Anyway, I really liked it and I certainly didn't eliminate it from consideration. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :confuse:
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    One thing you've got to understand about Land Rovers is that although they could have put digital thermostat controls in, they chose not to. Land Rover is always performing a balancing act between a luxury Ute and a serious off-roader.
    As you come to know the vehicle, you will realize that they spent a huge amount of time thinking about the workings and tactile feel of just about everything in the vehicle. The temperature knobs are like that so you instinctively know how to use them. Try using the temperature controls on a Porsche - you have to look pause a second and think about how it works - not so with the LR3 controls.

The hesitation is not normal, but I believe that it was corrected with a software update - check with your dealer.

I ordered the wood package with mine as it seemed to upscale it a bit more, and makes it just that little bit more refined. I have a Silver on Black, and the walnut trim looks spectacular.

I love my SatNav. I originally thought it was a bit of fluff, but it comes in handy whenever I'm driving in a rea where I'm not completely familiar with the road. I also got mine with the towing package, Heavy Duty package, and an after-market dual-screen DVD system for the second row passengers (dealer-installed).
    I also have the rubber floor mats and the soft load space protector. Definitely get this.
    Get a nav system if you can-best option i ever had. I dont think i could live without it and when i have to rent a car out of town i miss it.

Knobs on the climate control--agree with recent post-the round knobs are great. i feel i dont need to look at the knob to adjust. its better than the digital read out.

There is a TSB on the delay and I think the software update takes care of it. I had that same problem, and now its gone at 15K so they must have taken care of it.

I like the biege alpaca interior with the black floor mats. I felt the same as you at first about its refinement then I drove the new X5 and X3 and felt Lrover was a better deal in that category.

take the think on a downhill slope on an icey road or through mudd and use HDC and terrain response and you will be laughing at those that bought other vehicles. Yes it could have a more refined look inside but overall i feel i am in a better vehicle.

Im at 15,5000 miles and only have premature tire wear on the rear tires but not as bad as i expected
  • landy manlandy man Member Posts: 39
    I am on the second set of Goodyear Wranglers (24K miles on them) on our early build 2005 LR-3 and they are, like everybody else's, getting very noisy. Despite my aggressive rotation schedule, they are cupping/feathering but the tread depth doesn't look bad for the most part. The place I bought the replacement tires (LR dealer was out of stock last year and this place was cheaper anyhow - and specializes in alignments of European vehicles) tells me they can be cleaned up - assuming they will be shaved down. They will recheck the alignment. I will also mention the TSB. Does anyone have a copy of it? The service advisor at our dealer seemed clueless. Assuming it is SWA06-10.
    IMHO, for Land Rover to take the position that the tires have a life of merely 30K miles because the vehicle is so "heavy" is ludicrous. I've owned several other LR products and Chevy Tahoes with 50K+ on tires with no wear problems whatsoever. But then again, they did not have the self adjusting air suspension, which I bet a dollar to a donut is the root of the problem.
    I was told by the service advisor at Land Rover Mission Viejo that the good years are just too thin of a tire to handle this vehicle. I think LR should be responsible for the decision they made. The only TSB i found on this issue is LA204-005, dated Oct 3 2006. You can find them at www.landrovertechinfo.com. http://www.landrovertechinfo.com/extlrprod/market.jsp I was told by two people familiar with tires for LR to replace with Michelin Syncrhones (sp?). Has anyone had mileage experience w/ these tires on the LR3?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    How do the LR3s do on the used (CPO) market?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• webbuzzwebbuzz Member Posts: 36
    I replaced my Goodyears with the Michelin Synchrones before the 20k mark. The ride is night and day different. The tire shop that replaced them does all tire work for the Land Rover dealer. The manager said he has stacks of the Goodyears in back.

So far, with 33K there is no sign of unveven wear.
    This has been a good discussion, but I would appreciate it if those who report the need for early replacement of tires will also state whether they faithfully maintained proper inflation in the old ones. That makes a big difference in tire wear.

I mentioned in an earlier post that my LR3 arrived from the factory with 5-6 PSI over-inflation in each tire. That wasn't something I was expecting, but it wasn't right. Most drivers who don't check regularly are usually riding around 10% under-inflated, and that will cause premature tire wear.
    if you bring you LR3 in for regular service will they check the tire pressure and adjust accordingly? ANd do those out there who have had their tires at the right pressure seen better wear on the goodyears? the GY tires just seem so thin. My old Disco II was sold to my neighbor. over a year ago i replaced the tires with the standard factory michelin 4x4 tires that were on there originally (same style etc). To date there is no tire wear that is noticeable. they look great. while in the 10 months that i have had the LR3 the gyears look terrible (the rear two tires). I cant wait to replace with the synchrones if that is whats best.